Ranger Damage?

Ranger Damage?

in Ranger

Posted by: Derek.9254

Derek.9254

I love ranger I have 300 hours logged onto it but im reading some threads about waarior hitting 14k with killshot and thieves backstabbing for 12k and people say they normally crit for 6-8k.
So where was ranger dps? I honestly have no trouble in spvp and wvw but okay I use my longbow. I Am full exotics best in slot everything with 109 crit damage with food. Im running with berserkers so im essentially full glass canon yet the largest crit ive had at max range was maybe 4-5k and tbh it probably wasnt even a lvl 80.
Against a lvl 80 light armor i crit high 3k’s and against heavy armor it goes down to around 2.8k. And all the same while the projectiles are easy to dodge, they are slow firing and you need to be far away.
Okay for shortbow sure i do 4-600 dmg white hits to the avg lvl 80 with my crits going up to 1.2-1.6k i understand that 1.2k I know sb is better for condi but seriously where is ranger damage.
I understand that range should recieve a a penalty for the amount of dmg they deal because they are ranged and melee have to get in close. But when someone can crit on avg 2x my highest crit at optimal range and ahving the target stationary is a bit suspect…..

Ranger Damage?

in Ranger

Posted by: MeTx.6712

MeTx.6712

I think it’s damage stacking, not actual damage. If you use the Longbow’s Rapid Fire, you’d see large numbers too, but the it’s only how much damage the skill has done, and not doing.

Ranger: My Main Man Ray

Ranger Damage?

in Ranger

Derek.9254

yes but rapid fire does not do it in 1 hit each rapid fire shot is weaker than the 1 skill even

Ranger Damage?

in Ranger

Posted by: chasingfuries.9635

chasingfuries.9635

rangers can 100-0 people in 3 seconds without a glass cannon build if you know what you’re doing

Ranger Damage?

in Ranger

Posted by: mouse.1689

mouse.1689

Ranger does sustained damage more than it does burst damage. You have Warriors and Thieves and hitting for huge numbers, but the attacks that let them do that (Hundred Blades and Backstab) require setup that are on relatively long cooldowns, and also require melee range.

Rangers can do their damage from 12-1500 range, and while each individual hit isn’t nearly as large, their damage over time is comparable (although somewhat lower to compensate for range) than a Warrior or a Thief.

Crossfire may only be hitting for 400 damage, but it’s doing it 2.2 times per second, every second, not including bleed damage. That’s really not bad.

Rangers have some problems in sPvP, but it’s not their damage at all. Their condition removal is highly unreliable, and they have relatively poor group utility. Those are the balance issues that require attention for Rangers.

Ranger Damage?

in Ranger

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

Rangers don’t have burst skills like warrior etc, except for rapid fire on the long bow. Our only “burst” for most weapons is to use quickness with auto attack.

I guess you can get an impressive burst if you can coordinate well with a dps pet, I’ve never been able to pull it off properly (in pvp), it has a high skill cap and probably requires more set up than 100B, but should hit hard. If our pets attacked with the same efficacy as a mesmers pets we would have an easier time.

Actually, Mesmer is in some ways quite like ranger- a phantasm build summons its pets and then autoattacks for damage from range (for the most part). You get great burst doing that. A big difference is the Mesmer pets reliably hit their target and follow them through walls and to other inaccessible places.

Ranger Damage?

in Ranger

Posted by: Petrol.9086

Petrol.9086

Pets, a thousand times pets.
I’ve leveld a warrior and a ranger side by side at an even pace(they’re both 80 now) and they down a mob at roughly the same speed, as Yasha pointed out you need to coordinate with your pets to get burst out, but when you do it can be sick.
Drake f2’s do a ton of damage, birds also hit very hard and have a very short cooldown on theirs making them my dps pet of choice.

Ranger Damage?

in Ranger

Posted by: Zsymon.8457

Zsymon.8457

Birds like eagles are quite good because they don’t only put out a lot of damage, they also have a lot of vitality.

Does your condition damage affect your pet’s condition damage?

Ranger Damage?

in Ranger

Posted by: takatsu.9416

takatsu.9416

The concept and strategy of the ranger is steady damage over time and time and time again, from experience it has proven to be one of the strongest classes because of how well you can survive and always be the last standing, dealing consistent damage. I melee with ranger as well and it does great, comparable with warrior/guardian classes.

However, this may prove to be a problem in pvp, so you will need a lot of defensive tricks to negate the burst damage class attacks, once u can stretch out your time then you can be effective.

As for pets, I don’t trait beastmastery at all and I am the main source of damage myself with the pet being synergistic and support. Together there is a lot of damage done indeed. But i’ve also experimented with dealing damage separately, and that’s not bad either both the pet and myself

Ranger Damage?

in Ranger

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

Has anyone got down pat how to coordinate pet and ranger attacks in pvp (especially spvp)? If so please share your strategies and how you practiced to get good at it.

Ranger Damage?

in Ranger

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Everyone forgets about pets. They deal a significant amount of damage once you have a few points traited into them. I have 15 pts in BM and when I deal 250-500dmg per shot from my LB, my cat is hitting for 700-800 per strike. I shoot faster than my pet strikes, but you can’t negate that huge chunk of dmg. Use your pets right and imo you’re deadlier than warriors.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Ranger Damage?

in Ranger

mouse.1689

I think people tend to forget about pets because of how incredibly unreliable they are. Until their AI is fixed, I consider them to be only useful for their F2 abilities and their ability to soak up damage and conditions via Protect Me and Signet of Renewal.

Ranger Damage?

in Ranger

Posted by: Jestunhi.7429

Jestunhi.7429

Dps is more than crit on big damage dealing abilities – that’s burst damage.

For dps you have to consider the rate of fire, abilities, pet damage, etc.

SoE have finally been knocked off the top spot
in the list of developers I have the least faith & trust in.
Congratulations ArenaNet!

Ranger Damage?

in Ranger

Derek.9254

i am aware of everything people are saying i probably wouldnt complain if pet ai was better and more responsive. The f2 skill is essentially non responsive and involves hitting my keybind multiple times in order for it to go off even when the pet is on the target. It really makes no sense. You people are talking to me like i ahve no idea how to play a ranger. For the person that said you can bring someone down from 100-0 in 3 secs you obviously dont play a ranger or your target was not a lvl 80. Rapid fire is allright with quickness but in no way will it kill anyone with quickness even with the barrage combo. Especially if the other player knows how to play defensively. Ive tried immobilize chains with pets/muddy terrain. In the 4-5 secs they are immobilized even with a shortbow and strafe bleeding i can get someone down maybe 1/2 way if they are heavy armor. Maybe at max range with a longbow with barrage/rapidfire quickening and the target not moving you can bring someone down to 0 but if they are moving good luck with that

Ranger Damage?

in Ranger

Posted by: MeGaZlo.9516

MeGaZlo.9516

With my necromancer (I remind you that this class is also considered as nerfed) in yellow equip, I can keep 10-15 bleeding, poison and cripple at all mobs on screen at once. Each bleed ticks for 120, 250 poison, plus every 5 seconds I give AoE crits in 1k and make a point to crit 700-2000.

This means that the yellow necromancer does 1650 damage per second with a huge aoe radius and overdamage ranger on target at the same time. At the same necro absolutely not lose any mobility, he don’t need to hold mobs together or at one place and he keeps all mobs under slowdown every time.
The damage of ranger? Sustained? What are you talking about? Enough to calm yourself. Ranger is pathetic, weak, lopsided, unbalanced sh…t, with one single advantage – pet tanking. Ooo eah!

(edited by MeGaZlo.9516)

Ranger Damage?

in Ranger

MeGaZlo.9516

I began to feel that pet is no longer keep aggro as soon as I take out my longbow. I don’t even need shoot out of it. =P

Ranger Damage?

in Ranger

mouse.1689

longbow

There’s your problem.

Ranger Damage?

in Ranger

MeGaZlo.9516

longbow

There’s your problem.

Yes. Sure. No one except me use it, after all…

Ranger Damage?

in Ranger

Derek.9254

if you dont use longbow in wvw idk what youre even doing as a ranger

Ranger Damage?

in Ranger

Posted by: Vang.4310

Vang.4310

I dunno, granted I’m a glass cannon build (fits my playstyle, used to it and able to handle myself well in most situations) my burst seems fine. I pop Rampage as one, QZ and hit rapidfire and a good majority of people I hit just melt. I’m not really a reactive screenshotter. (OMG I JUST HIT FOR —-— screenshot) But I’ll be sure to take a few next time I get around this damage range. But back to my example. the last hit of my RF on this other player in WvW (they were an 80, not upscaled) was for 17,460. And the 3 before that were in the 10,000-14,000 range. Had they not been a heavy armor class they would of been in trouble, he popped a heal on about the 8th hit which saved him from the 9th downing him, but the 17.5k hit did the trick. Current damage set up unbuffed is:

3,414 attack
53% crit
98% crit dmg modifier

I think to get the big numbers with ranger you just need to go balls to the wall HAM status. All or nothin, y’know? Less-so for other clases possibly. But I’m definitely not seeing any problems with my burst in most aspects. Only real hinderance to my damage is the random Obstructed/Out of Range bug issues.

Granted 17,460 is my HIGHEST hit ever done to another player, I seem to get 14,000-16,000s often enough (10th hit of RF). Will post combat log screenshots for evidence of such next time I’m in WvW with sone peeks at my gearing if that will help anyone out there?

Ranger Damage?

in Ranger

Posted by: DesertRose.2031

DesertRose.2031

But back to my example. the last hit of my RF on this other player in WvW (they were an 80, not upscaled) was for 17,460. And the 3 before that were in the 10,000-14,000 range.

Channeled skills like Rapid Fire don’t actually show the damage of each hit but the added damage of all hits.
So, your last arrow hit for 17,460-14,000 = 3,460.

Ranger Damage?

in Ranger

Vang.4310

Ah~ Still seems like pretty good overall damage for a single skill though if you ask me. o.o

Ranger Damage?

in Ranger

Posted by: Jestunhi.7429

Jestunhi.7429

You can’t treat it as a single skill, you have to consider the amount of damage you could have done with other skills during the time that the channel takes.

That’s what you compare the 17,460 with.

:edit:

Plus the “single skill” was actually 3: rampage as one, QZ and rapid fire.

SoE have finally been knocked off the top spot
in the list of developers I have the least faith & trust in.
Congratulations ArenaNet!

Ranger Damage?

in Ranger

Vang.4310

Okay, it’s the same as other classes using their signets to get those big hits with their “single skills” that everyone else is crying about? True I wasn’t aware channeled skills work like that, but 17,460 dmg in an RF that was what a ~1.5s channel because of QZ doesn’t seem that “time consuming” to me.

As to a more single skill hit my 1 will do about 1,600 on average with 5,000+ crits on players if at range (and let’s be honest with a mix of a dog or wolf pet out and PBS, it’s not that hard to keep range in a 1v1 scenario). Imo the only thing that really needs to be tweaked about longbow is the Obstructed/Out of range issue and lose “closer they are = less damage” mechanic.

Ranger Damage?

in Ranger

Posted by: Battousai.7586

Battousai.7586

If anything rangers need a nerf, there long bow distance is just unbelievably sick, cross fire with swiftness is just sick. your piercing shots is just sick, your aoe cripple is just sick. you guys are currently the gods of wvw, and that is a fact, if you are not totally dominating in a fight as a ranger i suggest learning to play.. crying about damage rofl..

(edited by Battousai.7586)

Ranger Damage?

in Ranger

Posted by: Duckzor.4327

Duckzor.4327

“If anything rangers need a nerf, there long bow distance is just unbelievably sick, cross fire with swiftness is just sick. your piercing shots is just sick, your aoe cripple is just sick. you guys are currently the gods of wvw, and that is a fact, if you are not totally dominating in a fight as a ranger i suggest learning to play.. crying about damage rofl..”

Lol? You realize all you have to do to dodge any long bow attack from a far distance is move any direction. The arrow will miss.

Thief WvW Solo Roam Video

http://youtu.be/MHEU8oCFxrE

Ranger Damage?

in Ranger

Posted by: Tombs.3952

Tombs.3952

Vang, maybe I should come play on your server where you fight enemies who stand still and take it…

Ranger Damage?

in Ranger

Posted by: Petrol.9086

Petrol.9086

“The damage of ranger? Sustained? What are you talking about? Enough to calm yourself. Ranger is pathetic, weak, lopsided, unbalanced sh…t, with one single advantage – pet tanking. Ooo eah!”

If you can’t do damage as a ranger, you can’t play a ranger, we do loads of damage it just comes from several sources just like a mesmer, traps,pet and your weaponsets
Seriously, drop the longbow for a shortbow,get rid of the bear, grab a flame trap and vipersnest/spiketrap, get some rampager gear and learn to utilize your pets and you’ll be killing fast.
My warrior puts out more AoE damage consistently with a greatsword but my ranger can aoe burst like no other with a river drake.

People think the longbow does great damage beacuse of the big number after a long cast but it really isn’t that great, it’s the most damage we can put out from a single skill sure, but it’s over what? 5 seconds? It’s great in wvwvw but that’s about it, you’ll do more damage with a shortbow or a sword/warhorn or tortch.
If you wanto keep using the longbow for general PvE/sPvP beacuse it’s fun, knock yourself out it certanly works, it’s just that other weapons do better.

Also another tip is, don’t mash F2, it will interupt it, just press it once and eventually the pet will do the skill, it’s slow and unresponsive as hell but atleast it does it… eventually.

Ranger Damage?

in Ranger

Derek.9254

^longbow is superior in most wvw situations because of its utility and aoe cripple/dmg
i switch to shortbow when im roaming the map so i dont get messed up 1v1 but clearly if you have played ranger you would know that taking up traps instead of your stunbreaks/survival/ensnare ability cuts your survival by a huge margin. Unlike your warrior in a 2 sec stun we are instagibbed. Arrows are dodgeable and people complaining about longbow having range……… the projectile seriously is a joke to avoid. especially at the range where it even does more than a shortbow. Berserker gear has better burst potential than rampager gear as well.

Clearly the longbow is not designed for spvp use as most engagements end up being withing 1000 range essentially always. Just how most of the maps are built.

Ranger Damage?

in Ranger

Derek.9254

Vang, maybe I should come play on your server where you fight enemies who stand still and take it…

i would also know what worlds you play against for non moving targets

Ranger Damage?

in Ranger

Vang.4310

@Tombs
Who said they’re not moving? Honestly, it’s not rocket science. Bait the evades then crush them. Wow that was really difficult. The whole “not mving thing” shows you clearly don’t understand your class. As to the dog/wolf example, 1) knockdown. 2) fear. Beyond that you can knock them down with PBS as makeshift stun of sorts, and immobilize with Muddy Terain. Do you even read what your skills or pets do? Or do you just immediately to cry on the forums because you get rolled?

Ranger Damage?

in Ranger

Posted by: Nurse.1085

Nurse.1085

Meh. In Explorable Dungeons, my Rapid Fire’s end crit will hit for anywhere between 10k to 15k. I’ve never seen it hit higher than that yet. My auto attacks can hit from anywhere between 2.2k and 3k. In WvWvW, I’ve seen my Rapid Fire crit for around 14k on light armor after a full uninterrupted channel (very rare).

The point is, if I want to see big 15k numbers, I’ll have to coordinate my active signets with my pet and my Elite (Rampage as One). I also have to take into consideration my Sigil stacks and so forth. Also, if you get any kind of “Obstructed” or “Out or Range” while channeling your Rapid Fire, it’ll dramatically drop it’s total DPS. When people are constantly rolling around in WvWvW, it’s hard to land a fully channeled Rapid Fire. I wish it was more…Rapid.

Ranger Damage?

in Ranger

mouse.1689

Someone already said this earlier in the thread, but Rapid Fire’s end hit isn’t critting for 15k. The way that ability displays damage, it adds in all the damage the ability has already done. When you see a 10 or 15k crit at the end of Rapid Fire, that’s the amount of damage the entire Rapid Fire did, not just the last shot.

Ranger Damage?

in Ranger

Posted by: Leogolas.6941

Leogolas.6941

Yap the damage on rapid fire stack up and show you the total damage done on the last hit.
My cross fire does about 1.3-1.5k damage per hit. I am a signet based ranger so when I pop all my signet, the damage could go up 1.8k -1.9k.

As for my rapid fire, the best damage I done so far is around 10-12k.

[TSA] The Stuffed Animals
~We Are Deadly When Required~

Ranger Damage?

in Ranger

Posted by: Chipster.6713

Chipster.6713

The rangers in GW2 remind me a lot of the rangers from D&D 3.5.. A lot of small hits from you and your animal companion quickly adds up to a large number in total.

Ranger Damage?

in Ranger

Posted by: Samfisher.7942

Samfisher.7942

@Chipster, And then your pet inevitably dies in 1-3 hits and your only really viable weapon gets nerfed.

Ezendor [SYN] – Synapse, Ranger
Sea of Sorrows