Ranger Game Update Notes - October 15, 2013

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

I saw a lot of bla this bla that. Have you actually tested the new ranger patched yet? If not I suggest you to test it.

Healing spring: Instead of 15s, your field last for 10. It still has 5 ticks. Previously you regen 2340 for 6 ticks (first ticks from the moment you put down your spring). Each ticks heal you for 390 for duration of 3 sec. Now you heal for 2 sec. How is this bad? Also 10s is more than enough to spam your blast finisher. 5s don’t really make much difference.

Jungle Stalker: I am not big fan of pet since it’s just a luggage. But heck if while it still alive it can give your party for 5 might for 15 sec. Heck why not?

Also to be fair, I think Anet should consider to patch the broken pet. It’s AI is still very terrible. Ranger sword still locked the class due the attack animation is lower than the shown tooltip (0.5 sec). The best way to move out is after the last chain but it’s ridiculous to only be able to move out at only the last chain.

I still have not tested the rest of ranger patch yet since the rest don’t really interest me but I may give it a shot to see why you all whine so much about it.

5 seconds is a huge deal in WvW where blasting water finishers actually matters and where ranger’s are so lackluster that people would rather you take absolutely any other class instead of one. Having a huge water field that 2 ranger’s could keep up indefinitely was about the only amazing thing we had going for us and that just got nerfed for pretty much no reason what so ever.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

Posted by: Searban.5984

Searban.5984

I probably shouldn’t be surprised. I knew we’re probably in for some sort of a letdown after they made it clear that main focus of this patch is going to be group support. Ranger simply lacks tools that can simply be buffed to improve that part of the class, without being given a major rework. Which was particularly sad for me, as I do like to play around with support options. Still, there were traits they could’ve worked on. There were shouts that could’ve been at least fixed so one can use them without worrying about skill queue ovewriting them constantly.

But Anet still managed to impress me in this department. Slightly decreased CDs on F2s are the buffs towards pet support abillities you talked about? Really? Well, congratulations, Red Moa and Fern Hound will still be the only useful support pets. And not that much more useful than they used to be.

I don’t even see a point in commenting the lack of pets hp change in WvW. Even when it comes to a mere band aid, Anet couldn’t apply it properly.

But the picture my imagination keeps generating at the moment is a bunch of guys sitting in front of a big screen, staring at some numbers. For hours, not doing anything else. Just “looking at weapon numbers”.

Personally, I’m tired. I always tried to be civil on the forums, even if I understood where the frustration shown by some came from. I like to think I was to some extend constructive in discussions I took part in, especially when providing any kind of feedback. I’m pretty sure there is no hate towards Ranger as a profession, or any other conspiracy there. But if I had some doubts regarding competences of the balancing team back in July, now I just feel that they leave me no choice but to actually consider them fully incompetent. There is no other explanation for this mess.

I guess I need a break.

(edited by Searban.5984)

in Ranger

Posted by: qualm like a bomb.6512

qualm like a bomb.6512

Wait, Wait, So you mean to tell me rangers have pets? Was this a recent introduction?

Qualm – Commander
Grievance [GVNC] – Our drunken WvW is the kitten
Devona’s Rest – Forever Outnumbered & Kittened upon by Anet

in Ranger

Posted by: Mardermann.7468

Mardermann.7468

I really would appreciate a Dev come in here and explain the reasoning (or plans) for the ranger in the future…

and I would hope its not one of those two dudes who did the preview of the patch, cause they dont have a clue about the ranger…

I really would…
really

in Ranger

Posted by: KyreneZA.8617

KyreneZA.8617

Ah, what a fine mess Tweedledumb and Tweeldestupiddee made. By now the phrase “balance patch” by ArenaNet is an oxymoron.

Recently returned to…
Aurora Glade some random MegaServerâ„¢, always being asked to volunteer for that buff…
Ranger | Necromancer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief

in Ranger

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

I’m still mentally staggered by the fact a keybind for active/passive still hasn’t been implemented. Maybe someone can point it out in the notes? Maybe I just missed it. Just got done flying for 20 some odd hours so maybe I just missed it.

If it ain’t in there, something so basic, the hope I have for this class will dim just that much more.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

in Ranger

Posted by: Linkisdead.9647

Linkisdead.9647

Haven’t touched my ranger in months and it looks like it will stay that way. No one cares about your tiny pet buffs when its still insanely unreliable to even activate on time in a good fight.

Awesome my fern hound regens for more now…oh wait I dodge rolled five feet away so he cancelled the action and now its on CD.

No weapon changes makes this patch completely underwhelming for ranger. There is zero reason to bring him over any other class for our 5man. Ranger provides literally nothing that other classes cant do better in small man wvw. Small and frankly stupid buffs to pet F2s…is that really your plan to bring them up to par??

Sic em is for jokes, its not a game changer by any means. Cool to have in certain situations but like most ranger aspects is only useful in that one specific situation.

Bottom line is this class is flat out boring compared to everything else in the game. Half our dmg comes from a pet that can’t reliably auto attack a moving enemy much less provide real substantial dps. Everything that we ever did better than other classes has been nerfed into oblivion. Outside of sPvP i do not see a single reason to ever play this class again.

Looks like you win Anet, I’ll be on my warrior.

Sig
[sYn] Borlis Pass

in Ranger

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

But if I had some doubts regarding competences of the balancing team back in July, now I just feel that they leave me no choice but to actually consider them fully incompetent.

Back in July??
You must be a new ranger player because the the so-called ‘balance’ team’s effort on this class stopped last November. This was the reason I leveled a guardian back in January.

The class, will never get changed from the current vision Anet has of it because as long as there are so many playing ranger, and saying it is a fun class to play, why would Anet change anything? Has all the nerfs over the past many months stopped the casuals playing the class?? Not that I can tell …

Sure Anet might throw a bone here and there, but what you have now is what you are going to get for the foreseeable future. Oh, and forget all that ‘collaborative development’ malarkey, because that will end in tears, particularly for rangers.

Besides, the only way Anet could properly fix/balance this class is to massive re-work of traits, pets, weapon and utility skills. Apart from the massive embarrassment this would cause to Anet, the amount of time and resources to do this would be prohibitive at this point.

I have not logged into the game for over a month. Both ranger and guardian received underwhelming changes this patch. There is nothing here to bring me back into the game.

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

in Ranger

Searban.5984

But if I had some doubts regarding competences of the balancing team back in July, now I just feel that they leave me no choice but to actually consider them fully incompetent.

Back in July??
You must be a new ranger player because the the so-called ‘balance’ team’s effort on this class stopped last November. This was the reason I leveled a guardian back in January.

Oh, quite on the contrary. I’ve been maining a ranger since launch. What is more, for various reasons I barely play anything else than my main. But I also have enough experience with MMOs in general to be able to tell that even if some decisions made around July were plainly stupid, quality of balancing, and what comes with it, size of the balancing errors, wasn’t exactly that much different from what’ve already seen in other games. Consequently, I couldn’t really say that responsible devs are less competent than their counterparts from other companies. Which says quite a lot about the state of the genre, sadly…

in Ranger

Posted by: Pegaasus.3280

Pegaasus.3280

Devs are simpyl chickens.They don’ t care about what rangers think about their class

in Ranger

Substance E.4852

Back in July??

Oh, quite on the contrary. I’ve been maining a ranger since launch. What is more, for various reasons I barely play anything else than my main. But I also have enough experience with MMOs in general to be able to tell that even if some decisions made around July were plainly stupid, quality of balancing, and what comes with it, size of the balancing errors, wasn’t exactly that much different from what’ve already seen in other games. Consequently, I couldn’t really say that responsible devs are less competent than their counterparts from other companies. Which says quite a lot about the state of the genre, sadly…

I wouldn’t say this is true at all. even the dev team that handled GW1’s balance, while not always on point and neglecting many major issues, would tack on explanations to their updates and what they hoped to achieve by changing said skills. It was a far cry from the vacuum of communication we get punctuated by inhuman prepared statements.

And don’t even get me started on EvE Online that not only would post updates a week in advance on the forums, but you would get devs communicate with players in the threads like human beings and discussing any issues that people could see since they have the intelligence to identify that crowd sourcing a group of people who play your game a lot more than you do is a good way to augment your own abilities.

Both CCP and 200x era Anet also cared enough about their player base to QA updates so they don’t get crap loads of broken tool tips or skills not even working at all.

in Ranger

Searban.5984

Back in July??

I wouldn’t say this is true at all. even the dev team that handled GW1’s balance, while not always on point and neglecting many major issues, would tack on explanations to their updates and what they hoped to achieve by changing said skills. It was a far cry from the vacuum of communication we get punctuated by inhuman prepared statements.

And don’t even get me started on EvE Online that not only would post updates a week in advance on the forums, but you would get devs communicate with players in the threads like human beings and discussing any issues that people could see since they have the intelligence to identify that crowd sourcing a group of people who play your game a lot more than you do is a good way to augment your own abilities.

Both CCP and 200x era Anet also cared enough about their player base to QA updates so they don’t get crap loads of broken tool tips or skills not even working at all.

Doing a wrong thing balance-wise and providing an explanation for it doesn’t make you less incompetent. It makes your communication with the community better, but that’s about it. And the quality of communication done by Anet is by far the worst I’ve ever seen, that’s something I don’t have any doubts about. And I don’t see point in discussing it anymore, as all it will lead is another deleted thread.

At the same time though, there are cases like SWTOR (a game I actually enjoyed greatly and still come back to from time to time). Notes were always posted weeks before the patches. There was a full-scale PTS running. People were voicing their concerns regarding the proposed changes. And devs usually followed with their decisions regardless of any complaints. You think Warrior / Guardian meta is broken, you should’ve seen what happened to SWTOR’s PvP when Focus JK / Rage SW became top of the food chain.

I’m starting to think that the biggest problem with balancing at this point is the fact that devs are ACTUALLY TRYING to stay true to their “not doing whack-a-mole balancing changes” declaration. To do that, balancing is done mostly with small and rather insignificant changes. But there are glaring issues present that require much more than small changes, possibly really large-scale buffs, that bear some risk of being too strong.

One of the of whack-a-mole approach is that FOTMs emerge. Theoretically, Anet’s approach limits the possibility and frequency with which this happens. The irony is that instead of having Flavors of the Month we have Flavor of the Year. FOTMs are not a good thing, by any standards, but because they are to some extend temporary, players can expect balancing to shift again within a couple of months, and, unless they’re the FOTM chasers themselves, keep playing the classes they chose. With FOTY and current approach to balance we can hardly expect anything like that to happen in GW2 at this point.

(edited by Searban.5984)

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

At this point , it is no longer about the balance . The balance is irrelevant . We are stuck with bugs and functionality issues that have not been adresed for over a year now . The ranger main mechanic is not working properly , for cryin out loud . Who cares if weapon X does Y more damage to target Z

in Ranger

Searban.5984

Balance is not irrelevant as long as Ranger’s problems are combination of both broken mechanic and balancing issues themselves.

Even if they can fix pets in terms of ai, pathing, survivability and the ability to hit moving targets, Ranger will be facing problems such as: lackluster utilities, weak group support and the “pet damage vs the introduction of ascended gear” problem.

And as it seems it still a long, long way before they actually manage to fix the pet mechanics (assuming they can do it at all…), while balancing issues are easier to address. No reason not to bring them up.

(edited by Searban.5984)

in Ranger

Posted by: AreUMadBro.6907

AreUMadBro.6907

How nice… Another nerf disguised as a little buff. Cool. Too bad we dont have any GM playing ranger after Robert Hrouda left GW2. I guess we still have a chance of getting a great buff, when ESO launchs and all ranger’s players move to there. Maybe they will realize all the crap they made and buff us to get us back. Who knows. I will keep playing other games till there.

in Ranger

Posted by: Boomstin.3460

Boomstin.3460

At this point , it is no longer about the balance . The balance is irrelevant . We are stuck with bugs and functionality issues that have not been adresed for over a year now . The ranger main mechanic is not working properly , for cryin out loud . Who cares if weapon X does Y more damage to target Z

This. Too bad developers have no accountability for some reason in this game.

All is vain.

in Ranger

Posted by: Aden Celeste.3650

Aden Celeste.3650

2. Ranger has not gotten a single needed boost to its skills and abilities, and the pets continue to be as useful as a rock.

I have to disagree with this statement.

Picking up a rock in this game and throwing it at your enemy is way more useful then the ranger’s pets.

Some rocks can even be used consecutively, so you can even perma-knock bosses!

in Ranger

Substance E.4852

Back in July??

Doing a wrong thing balance-wise and providing an explanation for it doesn’t make you less incompetent. It makes your communication with the community better, but that’s about it. And the quality of communication done by Anet is by far the worst I’ve ever seen, that’s something I don’t have any doubts about. And I don’t see point in discussing it anymore, as all it will lead is another deleted thread.

At the same time though, there are cases like SWTOR (a game I actually enjoyed greatly and still come back to from time to time). Notes were always posted weeks before the patches. There was a full-scale PTS running. People were voicing their concerns regarding the proposed changes. And devs usually followed with their decisions regardless of any complaints. You think Warrior / Guardian meta is broken, you should’ve seen what happened to SWTOR’s PvP when Focus JK / Rage SW became top of the food chain.

I’m starting to think that the biggest problem with balancing at this point is the fact that devs are ACTUALLY TRYING to stay true to their “not doing whack-a-mole balancing changes” declaration. To do that, balancing is done mostly with small and rather insignificant changes. But there are glaring issues present that require much more than small changes, possibly really large-scale buffs, that bear some risk of being too strong.

One of the of whack-a-mole approach is that FOTMs emerge. Theoretically, Anet’s approach limits the possibility and frequency with which this happens. The irony is that instead of having Flavors of the Month we have Flavor of the Year. FOTMs are not a good thing, by any standards, but because they are to some extend temporary, players can expect balancing to shift again within a couple of months, and, unless they’re the FOTM chasers themselves, keep playing the classes they chose. With FOTY and current approach to balance we can hardly expect anything like that to happen in GW2 at this point.

I didn’t mean that the others were less incompetent. I haven’t played EvE in a long time but I’m willing to bet that missiles/railguns , and subsequently the entire Caldari ship line, are still borderline useless in pvp and I have a list as long as my arm of silly BS the GW1 guys pulled.
My point was that they at least provided explanations that let us the players try to figure out why they made their decisions. Maybe they weren’t always the best decisions, but it at least felt like they cared enough to justify them and let us know whether they were even listening.

Hell, I’d love to know why they thought our pets didn’t deserve an hp boost in WvW when anyone who has ever fought in a zerg fight knows for a fact that pets don’t even last long enough to be of any use.

in Ranger

Posted by: Drok Kindleshot.1496

Drok Kindleshot.1496

Oh well back to FFXIV and waiting for Elder Scrolls Online…

See you in 6 months Anet…so far been gone for 6 months already….

Yah Anet I know you don’t care if I don’t play but if I don’t play I dont
buy any gems….

be back when the Ranger is viable bye

in Ranger

Substance E.4852

Oh well back to FFXIV and waiting for Elder Scrolls Online…

See you in 6 months Anet…so far been gone for 6 months already….

Yah Anet I know you don’t care if I don’t play but if I don’t play I dont
buy any gems….

be back when the Ranger is viable bye

At this rate you might as well uninstall and save yourself the HDD space lol.