Ranger Patch Notes - June 25, 2013 - Official

in Ranger

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

Enjoy your “wonderful” grandmaster trait for regen and swiftness on shouts nobody uses with the weakest boons in team fight

RIP Zephyr’s Speed. PvE/WvW rangers must be ecstatic for the marvelous gift spvpers brought to them this patch.

The nerfs didnt happen just because of sPvP.

i guess technically, they havent even happened at all yet.

HALP TEH SKY IS FALLING

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Enjoy your “wonderful” grandmaster trait for regen and swiftness on shouts nobody uses with the weakest boons in team fight

RIP Zephyr’s Speed. PvE/WvW rangers must be ecstatic for the marvelous gift spvpers brought to them this patch.

HALP TEH SKY IS FALLING

Durp drup

http://overpower3d.com/Patch%20Updates/guild-wars-2-sky-pirates-of-tyria-complete-trait-list-1/

Some people, like the media, have early access due to test servers for new content

in Ranger

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

Durp drup

http://overpower3d.com/Patch%20Updates/guild-wars-2-sky-pirates-of-tyria-complete-trait-list-1/

Some people, like the media, have early access due to test servers for new content

Right, and there are already a bunch of threads about it on this forum, all of which point out that the press release was unofficial (see the one from guildhub, its the same “press release”).

I didnt say they were fake, I said they havent even been released yet and that spvp wasnt the source of the BM nerfs. we really dont know exactly how bad it will be.

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Durp drup

Right, and there are already a bunch of threads about it on this forum, all of which point out that the press release was unofficial (see the one from guildhub, its the same “press release”).

I didnt say they were fake, I said they havent even been released yet and that spvp wasnt the source of the BM nerfs. we really dont know exactly how bad it will be.

You probably don’t have people in the media in your guild, then

You can call them unofficial all you want. We know they’re real. Members of gaming media outlets get invited to private servers early to preview the changes.

in Ranger

Posted by: Doug.9628

Doug.9628

I’m glad they weren’t fake. I can’t wait to try some new builds

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

HALP TEH SKY IS FALLING

Durp drup

Yup, that’s some up to the date reporting on things we’ve known about since late Thursday. They must really be in the know.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

Posted by: jubskie.3152

jubskie.3152

Why thank you! I’ll will, in fact, enjoy them a lot

Some points to further illustrate my joy:

1. Rangers are no longer forced to use Signet of the Hunt if they want faster movespeed. Call of the Wild is just enough as a source of swiftness.
  2. It gives rangers a reason to invest 30 deep into NM. It just so happens to give 3000 hp and +30% boon duration. Oh hey look, ANet is promoting trait diversity :O
  3. It gives rangers a reason to use shouts. Huh what? ANet is promoting utility diversity too? :O
  4. It makes using Soldier Runes viable on rangers. And guess what? Rangers have a 15 second cd shout that gives the pet protection and stealth! This is arguably the best shout to use with Soldier Runes. The closest contender is Shake It Off because its a stun break and removes another condition, but it has a 25s cd. (no regen/swiftness for them though!)
  5. Regen and swiftness might not be great in PvE/Dungeons, but they are incredible in sPvP/WvW. One of my biggest issues with BM Bunkers is that I don’t have access to SotH or Swiftness so I’m forced to stay at back point even though I want to do secondary objectives (like getting Stillness). With this change I finally have a way to reliably get swiftness.
  6. How many classes have access to Regen and Swiftness on such a low cooldown?

I will admit I’m going to miss Zephyr’s Speed but then I get 5 more trait points to move around and use to try out new builds. So many changes were made, it’ll be a fun month figuring out new builds

Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG] Desolation
Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

in Ranger

Posted by: Pedra.4381

Pedra.4381

So many changes were made, it’ll be a fun month figuring out new builds

And if you succeed and are successful, it too will get nerfed in the next update. So good luck with that.

JonPeters.5630:]I do still believe ranger is the profession in most need of improvement…

in Ranger

Posted by: Anjo.3170

Anjo.3170

General
•Weakness: Changed from 50% fumble on regular attacks to 50% fumble on all attacks. Now only stacks up to 5 times (still stacks duration).
•Torment: Added a new condition called Torment. This does damage every second (75% of bleeding) and double damage to foes that are moving (150% of bleeding). Stacks intensity.
•Fixed confusion to no longer fire extra times on skills due to hidden script actions.
•Battle Standard, Spirit of Nature, Gathering Plague, Vortex, Morph Tuna, Time Warp, Mass Invisibility, Purifying Blast, Whirlpool, Murky Water, and Undercurrent have had their underwater aftercast reduced by 1.1 seconds.
•All elite player transforms (racial and profession) now have a 1-second cooldown on leaving them. This was done to prevent unintentionally leaving through double-clicking.
•Mistfire Wolf: This elite now has a 150-second recharge (down from 240), and can now be cast while moving. This pet’s health has been increased by 100%.
•White Raven, Rainbow Jellyfish, Black Moa, and Black Widow Spider have had their health updated to match the other pets of their type.
•Blindness: Fixed an issue that caused blind to be removed when an attack was used while not in range of any targets.

in Ranger

Posted by: Cletus Van Damme.2795

Cletus Van Damme.2795

Ugh, pet nerf wasn’t just spvp.

Magumer Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Boomstin.3460

Boomstin.3460

Well, atleast the balance team is consistent in failing if nothing else. Think they are aiming for Warhammer quality of balance here.

All is vain.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryan.8367

Ryan.8367

Ugh, pet nerf wasn’t just spvp.

You can thank one OP build being overused in PvP as a bunker point holder for nerfs across all areas of the game for rangers as pets in WvW and PvE are subpar at BEST.

Sigh…

This was a huge nerf patch for us basically while everyone got major buffs, even classes that didn’t need it.

Couple things are atleast decent:

Wilderness Survival
•Peak Strength: Damage bonus when the player’s health is above 90% has been increased from 5% to 10%.
•Stalker’s Strike: This skill no longer loses evade duration when traited with Off-Hand Training. It now strikes targets more reliably in melee. It now functions with Off-Hand Training in PvE.

Mother kittening sad overall though and doesn’t even compare to the buffs other classes got .

Tanbin 80 Ranger
Maguuma

(edited by Ryan.8367)

in Ranger

Posted by: Stormleaf.1769

Stormleaf.1769

•Man O’ War: The base recharge has been increased from 18 to 25.
•Counterstrike: The base recharge has been increased from 15 to 20.

That’s the most confusing change. Those two abilities were already terrible.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

except BM builds were not OP in PvP either , or you would have seen them used in top level teams

in Ranger

Boomstin.3460

•Man O’ War: The base recharge has been increased from 18 to 25.
•Counterstrike: The base recharge has been increased from 15 to 20.

That’s the most confusing change. Those two abilities were already terrible.

Haha Well , just proves further that they have no idea what they are doing.

All is vain.

in Ranger

Posted by: Shirou.4862

Shirou.4862

bye bye WvW/sPvP shortbow.

Hello zerker longbow builds.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zaith.9132

Zaith.9132

I like the longbow buff and spirit buffs (including trait changes for spirits). Makes rangers better at their original design.

/me tips transmuted tier-3 crafted hat

in Ranger

Posted by: THE Dentist.5960

THE Dentist.5960

So thieves get major buffs and our pet bursts are nerfed. Bravo ANet.
<slowclap>

VoxL (NSP)
Doom Strykër [Warr] Doom Ryder [Ranger]
Doomku [Guard] Doom Wrack [Mez]

in Ranger

Posted by: matenzo.9518

matenzo.9518

A shortbow and pet nerf. Exactly what the class needed.

Honestly the thing that cracked me up the most was this though:
White Raven, Rainbow Jellyfish, Black Moa, and Black Widow Spider have had their health updated to match the other pets of their type

The fact that this had not been patched until just now truly boggles the mind.

in Ranger

Ryan.8367

So thieves get major buffs and our pet bursts are nerfed. Bravo ANet.
<slowclap>

Not to mention now if people want to take advantage of the might stacking to pet, you just gave that thief free might and then some as pets can’t dodge yet another flaw in pet mechanic for the ranger.

Tanbin 80 Ranger
Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

So my bear survived the patch while my other pets turned into larger sized minis?

The Burninator

in Ranger

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

Why thank you! I’ll will, in fact, enjoy them a lot

Some points to further illustrate my joy:

1. Rangers are no longer forced to use Signet of the Hunt if they want faster movespeed. Call of the Wild is just enough as a source of swiftness.
  2. It gives rangers a reason to invest 30 deep into NM. It just so happens to give 3000 hp and +30% boon duration. Oh hey look, ANet is promoting trait diversity :O
  3. It gives rangers a reason to use shouts. Huh what? ANet is promoting utility diversity too? :O
  4. It makes using Soldier Runes viable on rangers. And guess what? Rangers have a 15 second cd shout that gives the pet protection and stealth! This is arguably the best shout to use with Soldier Runes. The closest contender is Shake It Off because its a stun break and removes another condition, but it has a 25s cd. (no regen/swiftness for them though!)
  5. Regen and swiftness might not be great in PvE/Dungeons, but they are incredible in sPvP/WvW. One of my biggest issues with BM Bunkers is that I don’t have access to SotH or Swiftness so I’m forced to stay at back point even though I want to do secondary objectives (like getting Stillness). With this change I finally have a way to reliably get swiftness.
  6. How many classes have access to Regen and Swiftness on such a low cooldown?

I will admit I’m going to miss Zephyr’s Speed but then I get 5 more trait points to move around and use to try out new builds. So many changes were made, it’ll be a fun month figuring out new builds

Granted, the new GM trait sounds really strong, but you’ll have to go 30 points into NM to get it.

I am very sad about Zephyr’s Speed, wish they had moved it to a different trait line instead of turning into a GM trait. Zephyr’s Speed works best for power builds, and now it’s totally inaccessible.

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

in Ranger

Posted by: Seda Khold.5428

Seda Khold.5428

So the Mesmer phantasms/clones get buffs/debuffs based on the game mode while Ranger pet nerf was across the board.

Amazing!

in Ranger

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

So, the ‘fake’ notes leaked were not so fake after all …
Anyone who claimed ‘lets wait and see’ looks pretty foolish now!

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

in Ranger

Posted by: Daze.6914

Daze.6914

Is there a single thing that was “fake”?

War Inc. Community [WIC]
Far Shiverpeaks
GW2 WvW - GW2 Gem Price

in Ranger

Posted by: SirJack.4760

SirJack.4760

Well this is pretty much worse than expected. Time to retire until next month at least. More Guardian/Mesmer time!

Attachments:

in Ranger

Posted by: Castaliea.3156

Castaliea.3156

…but seriously, everything else is kittened. Going to look for another class to main. Been playing Ranger since Pre-Searing but it’s obvious they have no idea what they’re doing with our favorite class in this game. It was a god in the last game and complete trash in this one. I’ll keep an eye out for future updates but I’m not crossing my fingers anymore. We as a community have over and over again suggested and brainstormed ideas and it’s blatantly obvious they have no interest in listening to anything posted on this forum. I give up. We’re a shell of what we were 250 years ago and it is in no way “fun”.

Hope you can have fun guys. Take Care.

Guild Leader
Sempai Said I Was A [QTpi]
Apply @ | http://sempaisaid.enjin.com |

in Ranger

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

I can understand how the BM bunker build might have been a tad OP for sPvP, but seriously, if people were using it in WvW, you were really hindering yourself and not doing your group any favors either.

Pets already sucked outside the BM build as is, so aside from getting a couple of seconds of quickness out of them on swap, or the occasional knockdown (if your lucky), they really have no use.

Anet, can you please just either make the stow permanent or have the pets follow us around like mini’s that serve no other purpose than to look cute.

in Ranger

Posted by: ehjhey.1894

ehjhey.1894

well at least longbow feels better now…also my axe can pull things now :I

in Ranger

Posted by: AreUMadBro.6907

AreUMadBro.6907

Well, thanks for the nerf. Pets are even better now. HA HA

But we cant get desperate about it, lets just wait for another op build to come out…and ofc, the nerf inc after few months

in Ranger

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

Harsh nerfs, but to be honest they don’t seem unfair. Ranger pets just did too much damage and it really makes more sense for the longbow to fire from further range than the shortbow. Personally I might have just added a distance penalty to the shortbow at 900+ range though.

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

in Ranger

Posted by: redcomyn.4651

redcomyn.4651

SirJack, you are very mistakened about mesmer. It got hit hard with the nerf bat.

in Ranger

Posted by: Faux Sheaux.6179

Faux Sheaux.6179

I love that it is someone with an account name like yours making this post lol

Ehmry Bay – Grindhouse Gaming [GH]
Menorah | Charr Cat | Some Cat Thing
Still running my old RRR build because why not

in Ranger

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

this blows, i’m working on my legendary and have been playing wvw for the badges…I may be lacking the pvp skills and i’ve been getting pretty much owned by everyone as it is, but still have been able to get kills and capture camps and such, having a pretty good time doing it…now they nerf the class even more, making us even weaker?…well there goes the idea of actually having any kind of fun in wvw.

This happened in planetside 2(another game that i use to frequent) they nerfed everything for literally no reason. For me the one thing that absolutely kills a game for me is complete garbage nerfs to stuff. Looks like this one might be getting shelved as well.

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB

in Ranger

Boomstin.3460

Is there a single thing that was “fake”?

There seems to be few fake developers working at Anet. Apart from that , not really.

All is vain.

in Ranger

Posted by: kai.4629

kai.4629

well at least longbow feels better now…also my axe can pull things now :I

give it couple months… i’m sure anet will nerf longbow soon

in Ranger

Posted by: lxtay.2715

lxtay.2715

The sbow nerf is ridiculous especially for rangers who want to WvW. What are the functions of WvW rangers now? Really? Our pets die of in zergs due to AOEs, when our pets get aggro-ed we get slowed and end up dying to the classes with catch up skills basically all classes but Necros. Sbow was good due to the consistent att speed and range to pierce through the zergs. Now that it’s down to 900, you expect a Ranger to go up in front a range of 600 to pierce that 300 range now? I’m absolutely defeated right now. I thought playing Rangers which is really in a lot of people’s opinions UP in WvW would not suffer a tremendous nerf but I was wrong. Sure equiping a Longbow would be a better choice now but well, most of rage is derived from the fact that I just crafted a Dreamer two weeks ago. FML.

in Ranger

Ryan.8367

Harsh nerfs, but to be honest they don’t seem unfair. Ranger pets just did too much damage and it really makes more sense for the longbow to fire from further range than the shortbow. Personally I might have just added a distance penalty to the shortbow at 900+ range though.

I wish people would gain some context on pet damage.

Pet damage was OP in sPVP/tPVP because of the style the BM build was being played. A bunker point holder against anyone means anybody fighting that ranger NEEDS to contest the point and take pet damage while fighting the ranger. This does not make the pet OP it just means the ranger found ONE build that caters to a playstyle in PvP that actually works.

Try that same kitten in WvW and you will find yourself at a loss for words at how bad that same style applied to WvW is. You will never kill anybody and you will find yourself dancing around the enemy moreso than anything. It’s no where near effective as in WvW because you don’t need to sit in a point and take pet damage but also because stat stacking doesn’t apply as nicely with one jewelry slot and using only runes in the armor. However in WvW most other classes gain a far better advantage than the ranger does in this regard.

2 different styles of gameplay , 2 different sets of equipment between the two yet that constitutes a nerf generally across the board. Makes no kittening sense at ALL.

I really wish people would stop kittening saying pets just did ridiculous damage when that kitten only applied in PvP where this nerf belonged, now ALL builds in ALL areas of the game got nerfed even people who run 0 in BM like me. Thanks devs.

Tanbin 80 Ranger
Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

They took some pet damage away and gave some damage back in the form of might stacking and weapon buffs. It’s a bit more in the player’s hands, now.

The only weapon nerf was a 900 range shortbow and that’s not really a big deal besides reducing the ability to pressure a point in spvp by 300 units. Shortbow actually got dps increases on a couple of the skill shots. It’s more DPS.

Spirits are looking a lot better, I mean spiritual knowledge is now a good adept trait. It was so painful to try and use spirits before because you needed the master’s trait to really make it worthwhile.

And sun spirit will get the blind off so much easier now. You’re doing more damage with both bows and a wvw shout build looks pretty good. I just can’t see how this is the disaster some of you make it out to be.

Also, I might add that many will start taking Enlargement as they experiment with nature magic line and will find their pet still doing spike damage when they need it the most. Just a thought.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in Ranger

Posted by: Dardamaniac.1295

Dardamaniac.1295

hmmmm…nerfed pets……….i dont care these changes are awesome.For some reason i see that Sword does more dmg now.Is there a stealth nerf?

in Ranger

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

They didn’t do too much damage.

The “dps” pets were lucky to get one or 2 hits in before they were dead. A jaguar or wolf getting a single crit in of 2500-3000 then dying can hardly be called too much damage. More often than not, the pet is long dead before it even gets to it’s target.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

bye bye WvW/sPvP shortbow.

Hello zerker longbow builds.

I just ran full zerker shortbow and sword/horn and the damage output is simply amazing. Full zerk with runes of scholar and a couple signets with might stacking. And that was yesterday, before this patch, in high level FOTM with no double death penalty on pets. Calling and sending the pet, I went with bear and cat and piercing arrows. It was great in pve yesterday so I can’t wait to try it again later today.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in Ranger

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

Rofl….at people who think losing 300 range on shortbow is made up by increasing the damage of 3 abilities by 15%, that all hit for less then crossfire in the first place.

Lets clear something up here…

People who are trying to pretend that kitten sandwich you’re eating is chicken are kidding themselves…

There is nothing positive about these nerfs, There is nothing is going to make up for them in this patch, You’re going to be doing less damage and with less range… The Ranger as a whole is collectively worse then it was before.

Quit pretending that everything is puppy dogs and rainbows.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

in Ranger

Ryan.8367

They took some pet damage away and gave some damage back in the form of might stacking and weapon buffs. It’s a bit more in the player’s hands, now.

The only weapon nerf was a 900 range shortbow and that’s not really a big deal besides reducing the ability to pressure a point in spvp by 300 units. Shortbow actually got dps increases on a couple of the skill shots. It’s more DPS.

Spirits are looking a lot better, I mean spiritual knowledge is now a good adept trait. It was so painful to try and use spirits before because you needed the master’s trait to really make it worthwhile.

And sun spirit will get the blind off so much easier now. You’re doing more damage with both bows and a wvw shout build looks pretty good. I just can’t see how this is the disaster some of you make it out to be.

Also, I might add that many will start taking Enlargement as they experiment with nature magic line and will find their pet still doing spike damage when they need it the most. Just a thought.

No , we still have no might generation to us. Only our pet got more might generation, which will again be nice in PvP only where the pet is actually quite effective. WvW / PvE it will be the same but now they’ll do less damage. Besides it’s a misnomer anyway, in PvE / dungeons your pet was ALREADY getting might from your group anyway, the same in WvW if you zerg. Just dumb logic overall.

1 on 1 builds just got heavily penalized, including roaming rangers and most weren’t even running this stationary point bunker holder build as it blows in WvW. Let’s remember WvW isn’t confined to contesting points. It’s based on movement and mobility, something the pet is NOT good at keeping up with.

You don’t dumb down one build in one area of the entire game and nerf something every ranger build relies on regardless of build… No matter what build you run , you will be using your pet, whether it’s for CC , whether it’s for damage, you still suffer because of one OP point bunker hold build in sPvP only.

Tanbin 80 Ranger
Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: FrouFrou.4958

FrouFrou.4958

hmmmm…nerfed pets……….i dont care these changes are awesome.For some reason i see that Sword does more dmg now.Is there a stealth nerf?

I think you are horribly confused.

Froudactyl // Herp Derp Druid // Judge Legends [JDGE] // Seafarer’s Rest

in Ranger

Posted by: Sarlack.4096

Sarlack.4096

The more things change the more they remain the same….

Why does any step forward in terms of the Ranger come with 3 steps back?

You do not create build diversity by making the only viable builds not viable so they all are mediocre.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

Personally, I would have rather had the damage of SB 2-5 reduced by 10%, and have SB range remain at 1200. <—- That’s how little I think of the 14% dmg increase.

SB range reduction is annoying.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

in Ranger

Posted by: Cuchullain.3104

Cuchullain.3104

They keep nerfing the weakest, most broken class in the game into the ground while buffing the OP classes. This game becomes more of a joke with every update.

The fault does not lie with people “abusing” (what an idiotic concept) one of the few worthwhile builds we have, but of an brain-dead development team that refuses to fix what’s broken with this class while continually making it more and more worthless. What’s laughable about the pet nerf is that pets don’t do much damage in PVP anyway except to idiots who don’t move. This will hurt PVE more than anything.

The notes were “leaked” for a reason: for the developers to get feedback. We can thank the fanboys and trolls for giving them positive feedback while attacking everyone who criticized the changes for “whining” or being “paranoid.” You would think people have enough experience with Anet and its established track record of kittenry to have predicted what direction the changes to rangers were going to go in even without “leaked” notes.

People were so used to rangers being a free kill that the minute a build arose that caused them a little trouble they whined to the developers and of course, Anet’s moronic development team responded as predicted with an ubernerf.

At this point it is safe to say they will never fix all the many things that are broken about this class. They are either completely oblivious to reality, incompetent or the class is designed to fail so that other people can have fun in PVP.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

This patch makes me a sad panda

Pets were my favorite thing about Rangers.

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

in Ranger

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

The more things change the more they remain the same….

Why does any step forward in terms of the Ranger come with 3 steps back?

You do not create build diversity by making the only viable builds not viable so they all are mediocre.

Rangers were ‘mediocre’ at game launch, now they are just kittene …

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver