Ranger Questions? Ask here!

in Ranger

Posted by: shadowpass.4236

shadowpass.4236

/forumbug

I was a power ranger before it was cool.
Guild Leader of Favorable Winds [Wind]

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

You seem like you have some ranger knowledge, shadowpass, but this build is just complete and utter crap. I think you’re out of your expertise on this one. Have you actually played it? Even a necro could walk away from you in open field.

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

You seem like you have some ranger knowledge, shadowpass, but this build is just complete and utter crap. I think you’re out of your expertise on this one. Have you actually played it? Even a necro could walk away from you in open field.

Like I said, I tweaked that person’s build. I never said it was good, nor did I say that I used it myself. I just tweaked the build they linked to cover up some of the weaknesses they had mentioned.

Even then, I personally use shouts. In my opinion, survival utilities are much more aggressive and lack sustain compared to shouts. But, someone asked for a decent condition build, not an optimized one, so I gave them what they wanted.

Also, I don’t recommend fighting a necromancer on an open field with a condition ranger unless you have a significant amount of interrupts and can make amazing use of blinds and the limited stealth you have access to as a condi druid.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! (although a little less harshly next time would be appreciated )

Best of luck!

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

I’m not trying to rag on you, that’s just not a build you should even casually recommend; it’s not viable.

I’m sure a many of us can come up with a better condi build than that, it’s just totally awful.

(edited by Fluffball.8307)

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

I’m not trying to rag on you, that’s just not a build you should even casually recommend; it’s not viable.

I’m sure a many of us can come up with a better condi build that that, it’s just totally awful.

No worries mate!

I wouldn’t be able to come up with a build like that on my own. It’s not fluid in terms of gameplay, nor the build choices themselves, but again, I was tweaking Anduriell’s build, not giving one of my own.

I didn’t want to make them feel bad by telling them their build wasn’t that good. I’d rather recommend a better alternative or a new one altogether.

And yes. You would be correct to assume that many of us, (including me), can definitely come up with a better build than that. :P

Be nice please. Haha

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

Hey man still not trying to be mean to you. And the guy you’re recommending this build to has argued vehemently on these forums that condi druid is unviable in WvW roaming.

Condi druid lacks in 1 area, pick one. You can do reasonable damage and lack mobility, or you can have mobility and lack reasonable damage. You probly shouldn’t solo roam on condi druid, but it’s totally fine if you have friends.

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

Hey man still not trying to be mean to you. And the guy you’re recommending this build to has argued vehemently on these forums that condi druid is unviable in WvW roaming.

Condi druid lacks in 1 area, pick one. You can do reasonable damage and lack mobility, or you can have mobility and lack reasonable damage. You probly shouldn’t solo roam on condi druid, but it’s totally fine if you have friends.

Yeah I know. I meant be nice on this thread lol. A lot of the people here are new to ranger or want to learn more so I don’t want to scare them away.

I definitely prefer power druid as opposed to condi. You are right about the damage vs. mobility problem. Though, if you are interested, glyphs on condi druid is actually very strong in PvP for fighting and supporting on points as it has a lot of mobility, cc, heals, condi clear, damage in an aoe. (haven’t tested in WvW or post ancient seeds nerf).

in Ranger

Posted by: Ralkuth.1456

Ralkuth.1456

There might be someone who can be beastly on Condi Druid, but recalling my experience facing Trap Rangers back in early core, and some embarrassing games in ranked/unranked with non-glyph Condi Druid, my only conclusion is that it is slightly (massively) outclassed.

Long trap CDs, one-dimensional abilities, way too much risk for the rewards of the shotgun playstyle in the current meta. I mean sure, if you have the reflexes to evade everything with Axe/Dagger, Sword/Torch or SB and win 1v1, I bow to you. But it is very apparent that Druid doesn’t mesh well with Condi Druid/Ranger. Trailblazer/other tanky builds is just covering up the survivability issues.

We need some facelift for the other weaponsets and abilities. Like “Protect Me!”, GS, LB, and maybe Sword. A novice Ranger’s 2 cents.

So suppose you encounter a team of Double Condi Necro and Ele, which is just gross with the things they can do. I try my best and sometimes win games against these (they can be wonderful to run with), but I feel like I don’t contribute enough (downed cleave is deadly, sustaining vs them is harder, can only out-rotate or stall 1v2).

Let’s say I’m conscious that I still have a lot of room to improve on Mender Druid. Nevertheless, would running Power Druid with GS/LB be a better choice against them? Or would rotating away from the Necro Ele combo be the correct decision?

I also forgot to switch back to Staff from GS one game (cue shaming), but I shrugged and ran with it. Turns out nobody really expects GS, not even me… good weapon (after the buffs).

5 useless class titles
Carrying enemy team since 2012
“Multiclass implies you can actually play the class” – a certain royalty

(edited by Ralkuth.1456)

in Ranger

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

Yeah I know. I meant be nice on this thread lol. A lot of the people here are new to ranger or want to learn more so I don’t want to scare them away.

I definitely prefer power druid as opposed to condi. You are right about the damage vs. mobility problem. Though, if you are interested, glyphs on condi druid is actually very strong in PvP for fighting and supporting on points as it has a lot of mobility, cc, heals, condi clear, damage in an aoe. (haven’t tested in WvW or post ancient seeds nerf).

Problem right now with power setups in wvw you are fighting against traiblazzers tanks which will chew your hp with condis and your LB won’t make a chin in their armor.

Either way i’m starting to seeing my build (or a variants of) within the ranks of Desolation’s druids and i have to say overall is more dangerous than the power setup. Not as strong as an chrono or reaper aids nothing can compare to those, but interesting overall. I dislike the axe clunkiness, with those precast animations of over a second but SB is even worst.

With this i am not saying Druid or ranger is made for condi pvp, or even performing optimally . I agree the destruction of the throwable traps and mobile spirits broke all the condi builds the ranger could have.

But if you are bored of playing for the last 3 years the same\similar power build, this one is more fun as you have to get into combat instead pewpew from afar and more risky as well for the same reasons, you need to be good or better stick to the pewpew LB like fluufy does and expect others to do the kills for you.

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

stick to the pewpew LB like fluufy does and expect others to do the kills for you.

I’m the one who told you condi was viable in the first place, after you whined in about a three dozen threads it was utter garbage. Condi is and always has been fine in WvW. Nice try, toots.

Also I almost always solo roam, so I have no one to blame but myself if things go right or wrong.

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

There might be someone who can be beastly on Condi Druid, but recalling my experience facing Trap Rangers back in early core, and some embarrassing games in ranked/unranked with non-glyph Condi Druid, my only conclusion is that it is slightly (massively) outclassed.

Long trap CDs, one-dimensional abilities, way too much risk for the rewards of the shotgun playstyle in the current meta. I mean sure, if you have the reflexes to evade everything with Axe/Dagger, Sword/Torch or SB and win 1v1, I bow to you. But it is very apparent that Druid doesn’t mesh well with Condi Druid/Ranger. Trailblazer/other tanky builds is just covering up the survivability issues.

We need some facelift for the other weaponsets and abilities. Like “Protect Me!”, GS, LB, and maybe Sword. A novice Ranger’s 2 cents.

So suppose you encounter a team of Double Condi Necro and Ele, which is just gross with the things they can do. I try my best and sometimes win games against these (they can be wonderful to run with), but I feel like I don’t contribute enough (downed cleave is deadly, sustaining vs them is harder, can only out-rotate or stall 1v2).

Let’s say I’m conscious that I still have a lot of room to improve on Mender Druid. Nevertheless, would running Power Druid with GS/LB be a better choice against them? Or would rotating away from the Necro Ele combo be the correct decision?

I also forgot to switch back to Staff from GS one game (cue shaming), but I shrugged and ran with it. Turns out nobody really expects GS, not even me… good weapon (after the buffs).

GS/LB is a better weapon set to use against those classes individually because of the increased damage and cc. Using greatsword instead of staff helps lock down those classes more, preventing them from getting support from the ele and helping prevent damage pressure from the necros.

A double necro + ele comp can be out-rotated so I’d recommend doing that unless you have a solid team fight comp as well.

When fighting a double necro + ele comp, try your best to single out and remove one of the players from the group. For example, if you PBS a necro away from the ele, there’s a window where they aren’t getting any support from their healer. This is a good time to get some damage in while their ele has to spend time rotating away from/with their second necro to sustain the one taking damage.

If you cc the ele away, the necros have to rotate to them to continue receiving heals, but eles usually have a higher access to stab/stunbreaks so I’d recommend going after the necros first.

Using Lightning Wyvern instead of Bristleback is also a very good alternative to fighting necros and eles. If you learn how the pet works, you can chain cc enemies with Smokescale, Lightning Wyvern, greatsword, longbow, and CA for extended periods of time if they lack stab/stunbreaks. Lightning Wyvern is also very good at cleaving downed targets to due its Wing Buffet ability.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Best of luck!

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

Problem right now with power setups in wvw you are fighting against traiblazzers tanks which will chew your hp with condis and your LB won’t make a chin in their armor.

Either way i’m starting to seeing my build (or a variants of) within the ranks of Desolation’s druids and i have to say overall is more dangerous than the power setup. Not as strong as an chrono or reaper aids nothing can compare to those, but interesting overall. I dislike the axe clunkiness, with those precast animations of over a second but SB is even worst.

With this i am not saying Druid or ranger is made for condi pvp, or even performing optimally . I agree the destruction of the throwable traps and mobile spirits broke all the condi builds the ranger could have.

But if you are bored of playing for the last 3 years the same\similar power build, this one is more fun as you have to get into combat instead pewpew from afar and more risky as well for the same reasons, you need to be good or better stick to the pewpew LB like fluufy does and expect others to do the kills for you.

I redid the old regen ranger build using Druid rather than Nature Magic for fun.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQRAnY8fnEqAtsg1CC+CCctgFOB75FMqScNDrKVAAulOT7plI9xA-TlyCQBV4gAcSlgT4IAQJ1L4iyvHcCA8j+Bot/wmURBAPAgMDDADhQAm5d35FXcnUA9tsC-w

in Ranger

Posted by: Falseprophet.1502

Falseprophet.1502

Thanks for doing this thread! I was wondering what the potential of a power/healing build would be? Would it be even worth it? I just started a ranger as my main alt or even possibly my new main depending how much I enjoy the new specialization. My main is a Guardian, but never really could get a good mix between power/healing as one think would fit the theme of a Guardian, but I digress. I do a lot of WVW roaming, Fractals, and open world events.

Thanks for your time

in Ranger

anduriell.6280

stick to the pewpew LB like fluufy does and expect others to do the kills for you.

I’m the one who told you condi was viable in the first place, after you whined in about a three dozen threads it was utter garbage. Condi is and always has been fine in WvW. Nice try, toots.

Also I almost always solo roam, so I have no one to blame but myself if things go right or wrong.

Fluuuufy how you are saying this seems like the ranger didn’t get any condi buffs lately. When i said condi builds were trash at that time it was the truth.

Also it was another times where the trailblazer \ dire wasn’t abused so much and you were much more effective with a pure power build. And power weapons are the beest designed overall.

So changes in the average combat plus buff to condis made the condi build now viable. Nice try there fluuf.

I TOLD YOU SO

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

Also it was another times where the trailblazer \ dire wasn’t abused so much

Dire/Trailblazer/Tanky condi wasn’t used a month ago?? It’s been used for 5 years on ranger. Why do you constantly just make up ridiculous things with no basis in reality? Almost every post you do is full of complete misrepresentations of truth that were created inside your weird head.

in Ranger

anduriell.6280

@Fluufly ok whatever you say.

@Shadowpass Thank you for that new build! i’ll try to make it up and let you know how it goes but probably i swap TU for WHaO and Guard for QZ.
I find troll unguent highly ineffective without an LB as it doesn’t heal enough to keep up with the incoming damage even from the autos. As such even during the effects of TU simple bleeding ticks can do more than the 1.1k of healing. Also in 20 sec cd make it significantly worst than WHaO. Don’t you agree?

In my opinion TU would need a shorter CD more in line of WHaO, and apply also resistance and protection to be of an actual use with any other weapon which is not pewpew from 1.5k

I TOLD YOU SO

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

You massive inexperience is showing (again) andy, if you think condi ranger hasn’t been meta or nearly meta in WvW since launch. It was the meta in PvP for much longer than power was, as well. Keep living in your own little world, buddy.

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

Thanks for doing this thread! I was wondering what the potential of a power/healing build would be? Would it be even worth it? I just started a ranger as my main alt or even possibly my new main depending how much I enjoy the new specialization. My main is a Guardian, but never really could get a good mix between power/healing as one think would fit the theme of a Guardian, but I digress. I do a lot of WVW roaming, Fractals, and open world events.

Thanks for your time

No problem! I’m happy to help!

A power based ranger build with high healing power is one of the strongest builds in the game atm. (At least from a PvP/WvW standpoint. I don’t PvE at all so I can’t help you there.)

Best of luck!

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

If anyone in this thread wants an invite to Favorable Winds [Wind], an all ranger guild, in preparation for the new expansion, let me know here until I can bump the old thread or make a new one.

Best of luck!

in Ranger

Posted by: safka.8514

safka.8514

How are rangers now? I only played this game for a couple of months when it was released 5 or so years ago. Rangers were bad back then afaik. I have HoT and a boost ready and am torn between this class/warrior and necro. What I specifically want to know:

1. How many good weapons/builds do we have? Can I be a melee ranger?
2. Do people still see rangers as a burden in dungeons like back in the beginning?
3. How are pets? Do they scale with my gear now? Was pathfinding/ai improved? Are they generally a pain to manage?

Anything else you might want to tell to a new ranger?

in Ranger

Posted by: Hepatolith.6389

Hepatolith.6389

2. Do people still see rangers as a burden in dungeons like back in the beginning?
3. How are pets? Do they scale with my gear now? Was pathfinding/ai improved? Are they generally a pain to manage?

1. if you don’t Aim for THE best build for every gamemode, Ranger has lots of Builds atm, probably the highest count of viable builds at the moment. Yes you can!
2. nope They don’t, well specced rangers are welcomed Afaik.
3. They,re still meh, clunky and all. Nope they don’t. A little, but still bad. In PvE they got AI’s got a 90%? dmg reductin if they’re not directly targeted, in smaller PvP fights they are really helpful actually, in WvW zerg… still dead most of the time.

Cayline Oakheart, Ranger – Drakkar Lake
Covenant of Bloodthirst [IvsI],
Favorable Winds [Wind]

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

If anyone in this thread wants an invite to Favorable Winds [Wind], an all ranger guild, in preparation for the new expansion, let me know here until I can bump the old thread or make a new one.

Best of luck!

Darn, guess I can’t join since I’m a Druid…

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: Zoe.4830

Zoe.4830

Hey shadowpass, you seem to really know your stuff! I was wondering what pet you would recommend for PvE? I’d also like to know which pet is best for WvW/PvP? It would be great if you could help

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

How are rangers now? I only played this game for a couple of months when it was released 5 or so years ago. Rangers were bad back then afaik. I have HoT and a boost ready and am torn between this class/warrior and necro. What I specifically want to know:

Hi! Welcome back to the game!

Rangers are in a good spot at the moment. We are strong in PvP, PvE (afaik), and are one of the best solo roamers in WvW.

• We have a wide variety of viable builds. This spectrum ranges from ranged and/or melee: physical DPS builds, condition builds, and support/bunkers. Yes, you can be a melee ranger.
  • I don’t believe dungeons are really a thing anymore. The rewards were nerfed a while ago and the newer PvE content has a lot more to offer. Although, do take into account that I am extremely unfamiliar with PvE as I have been strictly played PvP/WvW since release.
  • The pets that came with Heart of Thorns are pretty good! Smokescale, Bristleback, Tiger, and the Electric/Fire Wyverns all have their places in builds in every game mode. Unfortunately, no, pets do not scale with gear. The pathfinding/AI for the new pets are miles ahead of the core pets. The HoT pets are easy to manage while the core ones are roughly the same as they were at release.

I would definitely pick ranger as your main character! It is versatile and strong and offers a wide variety of interesting (yet effective) playstyles for whatever you wish to play. A well played Druid can beat any class/build in game with enough practice.

Best of luck!

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

Best of luck!

Darn, guess I can’t join since I’m a Druid…

After careful review of our Terms and Conditions, we’ve deemed it fit to extend our invitations to Favorable Winds [Wind] to Druids as well.

:)

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

Hey shadowpass, you seem to really know your stuff! I was wondering what pet you would recommend for PvE? I’d also like to know which pet is best for WvW/PvP? It would be great if you could help

I’m not really familiar with PvE, but I’ve heard Electric Wyvern is great for demolishing break bars in raids (whatever those might be) and that felines have the best dps for stationary targets.

For PvP and WvW, Smokescale, Bristleback, Tiger, and Electric/Fire Wyverns all have their uses. I’d recommend using Smokescale + one of the other pets I mentioned above.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kitty.1502

Kitty.1502

Hi! Welcome back to the game!

Rangers are in a good spot at the moment. We are strong in PvP, PvE (afaik), and are one of the best solo roamers in WvW.

• We have a wide variety of viable builds. This spectrum ranges from ranged and/or melee: physical DPS builds, condition builds, and support/bunkers. Yes, you can be a melee ranger.
  • I don’t believe dungeons are really a thing anymore. The rewards were nerfed a while ago and the newer PvE content has a lot more to offer. Although, do take into account that I am extremely unfamiliar with PvE as I have been strictly played PvP/WvW since release.
  • The pets that came with Heart of Thorns are pretty good! Smokescale, Bristleback, Tiger, and the Electric/Fire Wyverns all have their places in builds in every game mode. Unfortunately, no, pets do not scale with gear. The pathfinding/AI for the new pets are miles ahead of the core pets. The HoT pets are easy to manage while the core ones are roughly the same as they were at release.

I would definitely pick ranger as your main character! It is versatile and strong and offers a wide variety of interesting (yet effective) playstyles for whatever you wish to play. A well played Druid can beat any class/build in game with enough practice.

Best of luck!

Rangers lack a real strong power build for PvE. Druids only see a strong place in raids, I know some like to take them into fractals, but I find a strong dps much better and helpful to the group over a druid. Condi ranger is in a good all around for PvE.

Tarnished Coast-[NOPE]
Kitten – Zerker Ranger – http://gw2efficiency.com/c/Kitten
Kitty Smallpaw – Condi Ranger – http://gw2efficiency.com/c/Kitty%20Smallpaw

in Ranger

Posted by: Zoe.4830

Zoe.4830

I’m not really familiar with PvE, but I’ve heard Electric Wyvern is great for demolishing break bars in raids (whatever those might be) and that felines have the best dps for stationary targets.

For PvP and WvW, Smokescale, Bristleback, Tiger, and Electric/Fire Wyverns all have their uses. I’d recommend using Smokescale + one of the other pets I mentioned above.

Thanks, it really helps to know now!

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

I feel like this thread should be bumped. It’s helped a lot of people so far and I don’t want people to forget about it.