Ranger outfits, animations and racial issues.

in Ranger

Posted by: Flitzie.6082

Flitzie.6082

Nothing will change, I know that. Noone will probably hear us, I accept that.
Yet, I still feel like venting a bit. Maybe some of you had the same troubles and can give me an idea on how to deal with it.

My first character was a male human warrior. I love him. I want to make a Ranger next.
Outfits and the overall look of a character are very important to me.

I have some serious problems with the Ranger now though.
I felt like playing a female this time around.

Everything that does not look like a human is out of question, that would include every race and gender except human male/female and norn female.

Human female:
The longbow animations are stupid when she is walking with a drawn longbow. Its like a windmill on broken axis. Holy kitten I couldnt stand it!
Besides that all female models have spaghetti arms… :c

Norn female:
Good animations, no more broken windmill. Great bodies.
But I feel like a giant even on the smallest height.

Alright I though, lets roll another human male! Yay! – Not.
There isnt a single acceptable human male medium armor outfit for an archer. For a typical ranger, yes. You know those forest guys with long coats and kitten. All cool.

But not for an archer in war. There are 3 or 4 chestpieces that have no coat! What?!
The only other class where I could see a long coat fitting is probably for an engineer.
A thief especially wouldnt want to wear any coat at all… thats just impairing the flexibility. T3 Human armor, stop. I am a figher, not a prostitute.

Where are all the plated leather outfits? The tight body suits? the layering looks of different cloth (without coats).
Example: http://i89.servimg.com/u/f89/14/49/84/08/ml10.jpg

Human male is out of question. There was one outfit that I could live with, but I dont feel like leveling another human male anyway.

That is what I came up with in the end. I still feel like my norn lady is way to large…
Help ;_;

Edit: I’ll iron my hands if this is the wrong subforum. But there really is none for outfits, is there?

Attachments:

You touched the shiny, didn’t you?

in Ranger

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Here if it involves Rangers, but no one will complain if this thread is in general discussion since it involves armor looks.

also, While I appreciate that Medium armor lets me look like a cowboy, a pirate, and a ninja, there’s not really anything nature-ish or natural looking.

Strider armor is the closest we have since some of the textures look like wood and leaves, but someone had to go and ruin the whole set with the stupid blades on the shoulder pads, the mismatched normal mapping/shaders on the boots compared to the gloves and shoulders, and the ridiculous looking fishnet stuff on the legs, and the back of the chest piece. Its like the designer was working towards one idea that was legitimately involved with a nature-y theme, but then the boss man said that it has to look more ninja-y just for the sake of looking ninja-y.

in Ranger

Posted by: Aridia.3042

Aridia.3042

Kudos to the OP for linking an L2 set. <3 Majestic Light.

This is as MJ light as it gets unfortunately. Hope you’ve unlocked that shoulder piece in PVP cuz I don’t think it drops in PVE yet.

Attachments:

in Ranger

Flitzie.6082

<3 Majestic Light

Indeed, me too.

I gave the human female another try at the wardrobe. Its not too bad. But those walking animations with or without her wielding her bow are nothing for me.
The norn female is walking a lot cuter and more rhythmical. Am I the only one looking out for those things?

I guess I’ll stick with my norn, despite her height. I’ll lose the option to swap gender in case I want a male because I hate norn males but I have to live with this now.

As much as I love this game and its cosmetic features. Some of them are really, really frustrating to me… ugh.

in Ranger

Posted by: Pope.1469

Pope.1469

You are most definitely not the only one who cares about animations. I couldn’t stand the clumsy running and bow drawing animtions of human females so I bought a makeover kit and went human male. Then I hated the lack of proper hunter outfits (furs, draped cloth, anything non-trenchcoat/facemask) so I gave up and went back to human female with generic tier 3 cultural. If I can’t link with my character, I can’t play well with it, so whatever.

On the other hand, I really enjoy the Sylvari female run animation. There’s no way a human running like that would be natural, but since it’s a fantasy game and a plant race I really enjoy the hyper-femininity.

in Ranger

Flitzie.6082

No way.
I cant deal with this.
My norn is now lvl 18. Everytime I enter a city I feel out of place and I doubt I’ll want to play this character.

Its a shame really, I cant agree with any of the female options in the game.
I’ll start another human male…

But, hey. Ill save myself a whopping 100 gold because I dont have to buy that gem store set. Yay for more gold

Attachments:

in Ranger

Posted by: rabidsmiles.5926

rabidsmiles.5926

T3 Human armor, stop. I am a figher, not a prostitute

Welcome to the world of games being designed by men for men. Ladies usually get bustied up and clothing removed the higher level you get. Level 1 you are a frumpy thing and by level 80 you are wearing a chainmail bikini that covers only what it is supposed to to allow it to still be a rated T game.

That human t3 armor…how I despise that armor. I just wanted to mention, that the human t1 pants are awesome. I have it paired with the Krytan armor top and some random shoe skin. I hate how many medium armors in this game are flowy coats. Just stop it Devs, we have plenty of these Neo-want-to-be armors, start making us some real non-female-objectifying leather armor pieces.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

This is how I got my PvE ranger to look, and after a long time I am quite happy.

Attachments:

in Ranger

Posted by: Domey.9804

Domey.9804

If you Like cool animations and cant stand other races than human → human male Has so much better animations than female.

in Ranger

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

Wow! Those are some awesome skin combos you’ve made. I have a female norn ranger who’s look I’m quite content with. She’s more designed as a hunter than a battlefield archer, though, but it fits my roaming playstyle better. I bought the mask as a joke, but it grew on me and now I can’t take it off.

Attachments:

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

in Ranger

Posted by: Amethyst Lure.5624

Amethyst Lure.5624

I think for the sleek looks, the store is the best bet with viper or strider, or Norn cultural which is very nice for all three to be honest, for that wanderer look. Perhaps not pure archer wear, but definitely fits norn adventurer types.

I think human tier 2, Falconer is rather nice for a ranged combatant. More a jacket or short coat instead of a long coat, with some scales.

in Ranger

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

I think for the sleek looks, the store is the best bet with viper or strider, or Norn cultural which is very nice for all three to be honest, for that wanderer look. Perhaps not pure archer wear, but definitely fits norn adventurer types.

I think human tier 2, Falconer is rather nice for a ranged combatant. More a jacket or short coat instead of a long coat, with some scales.

Falconer is indeed a very nice, practical coat that looks to be quite protective.

And it makes for some good armor combos. Like this one.

Attachments:

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I’ll link my rangers current outfit, he’s a sylvari but it’d translate quite nicely onto a human character since they have an identical body structure and size (obviously different details on the person but you can hardly tell what race he is anyway).

I personally was going for a rugged adventurer/nomadic sorta look instead of a typical ranger appearance granted, but still!!

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Duke Blackrose.4981

I’ll link my rangers current outfit, he’s a sylvari but it’d translate quite nicely onto a human character since they have an identical body structure and size (obviously different details on the person but you can hardly tell what race he is anyway).

It may actually look better on a human character. Glitches in Sylvari proportions tend to make quite a lot of their gloves too large around the wrists and a lot of their coats hover half a foot away from their kitten s.

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

It may actually look better on a human character. Glitches in Sylvari proportions tend to make quite a lot of their gloves too large around the wrists and a lot of their coats hover half a foot away from their kitten s.

That’s very true, i know the #1 thing i hate about a few outfits on my Sylvari is that their coats or w/e will clip the kitten out of my weapons and hands lol

And here’s a picture of my Ranger… i may try to find an area with better lighting…

Attachments:

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Flitzie.6082

Haha. Lions arch has really poor enviromental light, true.
I mean, look at those clouds. No wonder.

After playing my male ranger for a while I have mixed feelings. In the beginning it was awesome. Now I tend to think more and more that I really dont want to play another human male.
Lead me to play my norn again. Both are closing to level 20 now.
I REALLY hope this wont continue up to lvl 80 ;_;

To some it may seem irrelevant but this is probably the worst case of “I cant decide” in all my MMO history.
But thats the price you pay for having millions of customization options (which is awesome) and then there is one option for the base of all and that is permanent (race)…

in Ranger

Duke Blackrose.4981

Haha. Lions arch has really poor enviromental light, true.
I mean, look at those clouds. No wonder.

After playing my male ranger for a while I have mixed feelings. In the beginning it was awesome. Now I tend to think more and more that I really dont want to play another human male.
Lead me to play my norn again. Both are closing to level 20 now.
I REALLY hope this wont continue up to lvl 80 ;_;

To some it may seem irrelevant but this is probably the worst case of “I cant decide” in all my MMO history.
But thats the price you pay for having millions of customization options (which is awesome) and then there is one option for the base of all and that is permanent (race)…

Oh, no. I understand completely.

You know how many 80s I’ve leveled over these past couple years? About 15.

You know how many 80s I have now? Four. And two of them are fresh 80s that haven’t been geared out.

in Ranger

Aridia.3042

No way.
I cant deal with this.
My norn is now lvl 18. Everytime I enter a city I feel out of place and I doubt I’ll want to play this character.

Its a shame really, I cant agree with any of the female options in the game.
I’ll start another human male…

But, hey. Ill save myself a whopping 100 gold because I dont have to buy that gem store set. Yay for more gold

Haha, I don’t like the way females run (it was better before they changed it) but they have a better GS stance than males. I just have that out most of the time when I travel so it doesn’t bother me as much.

Oh btw, don’t use that shoulder piece I posted earlier. Tried it last night and it clips like mad on the face when you fire your bow. That’s kind of disappointing…

in Ranger

Flitzie.6082

Well, thanks Duke. I am not sure if this is a relieve to hear or some kind of foreshadowing to what will happen to me.

Oh btw, don’t use that shoulder piece I posted earlier. Tried it last night and it clips like mad on the face when you fire your bow. That’s kind of disappointing…

Thanks for letting me know! There probably would not have been a chance for me to get it anyway. Seems like there is no way to aquire it right now.

in Ranger

Aridia.3042

Well, thanks Duke. I am not sure if this is a relieve to hear or some kind of foreshadowing to what will happen to me.

Thanks for letting me know! There probably would not have been a chance for me to get it anyway. Seems like there is no way to aquire it right now.

I’m gonna try to build that Maj light with the Twilight Arbour shoulder piece instead. :>

The back kind of pops up, it’s not as cool as the piece I posted earlier but I’m pretty sure that doesn’t clip.

in Ranger

Flitzie.6082

Hah! So I got you hooked on building a maj light set too?
Show me the final results when its done!

Btw, guess what I tried to replicate on my warrior.
kitten, I’ve played to much of that game in my life to just simply let go of those awesome armor skins that L2 has.

in Ranger

Aridia.3042

Hah! So I got you hooked on building a maj light set too?
Show me the final results when its done!

Btw, guess what I tried to replicate on my warrior.
kitten, I’ve played to much of that game in my life to just simply let go of those awesome armor skins that L2 has.

Got one more piece of ascended to craft then I can start transmuting. I miss my overenchanted Maj light. I must’ve blew up like 30 pieces to get it to +6.

Yeah, really wish they’d do more intricate designs like L2.

Just compare the Wings of Dwayna with the Dynasty Bow, argh….

in Ranger

Flitzie.6082

Well, atleast the ascended bow looks soooomewhat like the soul bow. Better actually, if I think about it.

in Ranger

Aridia.3042

Well, atleast the ascended bow looks soooomewhat like the soul bow. Better actually, if I think about it.

It looks like a kitten child between the Soul Bow and Requiem Thrower. Not a fan of it but I don’t see anything better to transmute into.

From far away, I actually like the look of the Super Longbow. The hue reminds me of a nice +6/7 overenchant from L2. xD That’s what I use for my stacking bow.

Anyway, I’m done transmuting but I’m not sure what to keep as my shoulder piece atm.

The Twilight shoulder works really well…so long as you just stand there and don’t do anything. The moment you start to run or equip weapons, it clips the hair like crazy. :<

The Stalwart shoulder is actually the lesser of two evils, it only clips when you fire LB1, and you can’t see it but you know it’s still there…

What to do, what to do…I might just slap a Caudecus shoulder on there and call it a day.

BTW I hope you’re doing an avadon set for your warrior. I tried to do one for my ele.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Post-a-pic-of-your-character-only-if-your-armor-is-mix-n-match/page/35#post4300534

Attachments:

(edited by Aridia.3042)

in Ranger

Flitzie.6082

Awesome Awesome! Great looking ranger.
Now I just need a build that focuses on heavy auto attack crits to give it a similar feel like the hawkeye/sagittarius
I’ll probably create a new topic soon, already have something in mind.

The avadon set caught me by suprise. I did not expect that! Great attempt though.

A little offtopic:
My warrior runs in Imperial crusader. Sadly I cannot replicate the blue hue of the original armor so I went with red to fit the weapons. A proper shield is also a problem, thus i’ll stick with the current. As a sword I’d like to get the infite light someday. Its the best looking sword in the game to me and its similar to the Dark legion edge <3

Attachments:

in Ranger

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

Speaking of longbow animations…

Rapid fire with humanoids (males seem to tilt the bow abit) and Charr, I don’t exactly like the vertically held stance, in my opinion, it would be better of performed with horizontally held bow, like asuras do.

Also that the rapid fire looks almost like they pull the bowstring to look like rapid firing, looking like they are not using arrows at all with each pull…

On other thought, Charr and bows, they seem to have issue with incorrectly positioned bows, atleast with longbows and as a warrior, the bow points forward, but the bowstring is pulled sligtly angled. Animation issue on Charr characters with bows…

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

(edited by FrostSpectre.4198)

in Ranger

Posted by: SirWarriant.2319

SirWarriant.2319

I wish they would have made class specific armor sets like in Guild Wars 1 honestly, there were very few impractical armor sets for rangers, most seemed very adventurer/nature ish themed especially the druid set. There were very few of the ridiculous coats we see now if any aside from the Krytan set but even that seems practical for the most part. I just wish we had more sets like the ones in the first one for just about every class.

Ullr Thorgislwulf: 80 Ranger Yaks Bend sPvP & WvW
Eladan of Greenwood: 80 Ranger
Elemir Swiftblade: 80 Thief

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Female Humans have their shoulder graphics float above their bodies when using the longbow. This reason alone will make me change from female to male if the patch has more to offer than what has been outlined in the preview and today’s post.

in Ranger

Aridia.3042

A little offtopic:
My warrior runs in Imperial crusader. Sadly I cannot replicate the blue hue of the original armor so I went with red to fit the weapons. A proper shield is also a problem, thus i’ll stick with the current. As a sword I’d like to get the infite light someday. Its the best looking sword in the game to me and its similar to the Dark legion edge <3

The inner mail of the IC set has a purple hue to it. You should try a dye like shy violet, or mischief to see if it works. The outer could probably be done with antique gold or tarnished silver.

The unfortunate thing about the dye system is that what you see is not what you get, the shade changes depending on the material that it’s applied on. Which is why I settled on a purple instead of the blue in my Avadon. Just gotta keep trying.

You can probably use the Phalanx shoulder and chest piece also.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Phalanx_Heavy-Armor_Skin_human_male_front.jpg

Attachments:

(edited by Aridia.3042)

in Ranger

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

I can just agree with the need of plated leather armors.
Or at least GW1’s Medium type armors (Assassin, Ranger, etc)
In early alpha pics, a promo thief used Heavy armor. Was nice.
With being able to use those skins as well, we all could look 10 times better.

I miss them so mutch!

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

in Ranger

Posted by: shalywen.9548

shalywen.9548

Got one more piece of ascended to craft then I can start transmuting. I miss my overenchanted Maj light. I must’ve blew up like 30 pieces to get it to +6.

Yeah, really wish they’d do more intricate designs like L2.

Just compare the Wings of Dwayna with the Dynasty Bow, argh….

Speaking of L2, Dark Crystal looked a lot better than a Majestic for human models, in particular for an archer/ranger/thief class. Majestic was ugly for females and looked more like a heavy armor on males (they looked more like star wars stormtroopers than archers),. Only looked good on elf males and dark elf females.

in Ranger

Posted by: Manekk.6981

Manekk.6981

I do love the standard “aragorn ranger” look but I have grown a little tired of making multiple sets like this for both male/female, norn/human

I made a complete 180 and decided my human male was a smuggler ranger from star wars, you can’t see them but I used some low level asura weapons with a blue glow on them wich matched the feel and look well, pretty happy with the outcome

Attachments:

in Ranger

Posted by: Amethyst Lure.5624

Amethyst Lure.5624

Norn huntress, testing arrow ranges off volcanoes?! Tier 3 cultural/viper armour mix.

Attachments:

in Ranger

Posted by: Solandri.9640

Solandri.9640

Female Humans have their shoulder graphics float above their bodies when using the longbow. This reason alone will make me change from female to male if the patch has more to offer than what has been outlined in the preview and today’s post.

I just turn the shoulder armor off. But then, the “medium armor = trenchcoat” mentality of the artists annoyed me so much that I rebelled and outfitted my ranger in a miniskirt. So it’s not like I’m trying to be realistic to the setting.

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

I can just agree with the need of plated leather armors.
Or at least GW1’s Medium type armors (Assassin, Ranger, etc)
In early alpha pics, a promo thief used Heavy armor. Was nice.
With being able to use those skins as well, we all could look 10 times better.

I miss them so mutch!

You can. You just need to make a human. Falconer’s armor is basically a medium leather set with steel plates on the shoulder, chest, elbows, shins, thighs, and face. it’s not the best armor set in my opinion but the parts do go well with other sets.

Attachments:

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

Aridia.3042

Speaking of L2, Dark Crystal looked a lot better than a Majestic for human models, in particular for an archer/ranger/thief class. Majestic was ugly for females and looked more like a heavy armor on males (they looked more like star wars stormtroopers than archers),. Only looked good on elf males and dark elf females.

I agree the female Maj light is not as good. DC light does look nice. But I like the popped “collar” of the Maj light. :> I like Doom Plate for the same reason which is why I was trying to recreate that for my female toon.

Plus I’m an archer at heart, so I like the Maj light bonus.

in Ranger

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

I wish they would have made class specific armor sets like in Guild Wars 1 honestly, there were very few impractical armor sets for rangers, most seemed very adventurer/nature ish themed especially the druid set. There were very few of the ridiculous coats we see now if any aside from the Krytan set but even that seems practical for the most part. I just wish we had more sets like the ones in the first one for just about every class.

The entire coat thing is derived from GW1 ranger armor, actually (assasins were more “spikes everywhere” and dervish armor was all basically medium Whispers armor), the major difference was that it was mostly restricted to male armor.

Also, why did you even roll a norn if you’re bothered by their height? “Giant viking” is, like, their thing.

in Ranger

RoyalPredator.9163

You can. You just need to make a human. Falconer’s armor is basically a medium leather set with steel plates on the shoulder, chest, elbows, shins, thighs, and face. it’s not the best armor set in my opinion but the parts do go well with other sets.

That is only One set, which doesn’t fit my personality from any angle.
One set. We need like 10 from release, up to 15 in this past 2 years.

in Ranger

Manekk.6981

I agree the female Maj light is not as good. DC light does look nice. But I like the popped “collar” of the Maj light. :> I like Doom Plate for the same reason which is why I was trying to recreate that for my female toon.

Plus I’m an archer at heart, so I like the Maj light bonus.

I have no idea what armors you guys are talking of here, got some screenies or other pics of them?

in Ranger

Flitzie.6082

I have no idea what armors you guys are talking of here, got some screenies or other pics of them?

We are talking about the armor sets of the MMO lineage II, which probably many of us have grown to love over the years of playing this game.

(They do look quite different on females and other races but human male is usually the standard and best looking I’ll show you them.)

Some sets that got mentioned in this thread in order of attachments:
-Majestic Light Armor
-Dark Crystal Light
-Doom Plate Armor

Attachments:

in Ranger

shalywen.9548

I forgot to mention the Plated Leather, not shiiiiny like the top ones, but more realistic and, for me, perfect for an archer.

in Ranger

Aridia.3042

I forgot to mention the Plated Leather, not shiiiiny like the top ones, but more realistic and, for me, perfect for an archer.

Love that set. +4 Str -1 Con. Best bang for the buck esp when I couldn’t afford the good dyes.

in Ranger

RoyalPredator.9163

These kinds I hope

Attachments:

in Ranger

shalywen.9548

These kinds I hope

nope, this one :P

Attachments:

in Ranger

Manekk.6981

We are talking about the armor sets of the MMO lineage II, which probably many of us have grown to love over the years of playing this game.

(They do look quite different on females and other races but human male is usually the standard and best looking I’ll show you them.)

Some sets that got mentioned in this thread in order of attachments:
-Majestic Light Armor
-Dark Crystal Light
-Doom Plate Armor

The first and last pic just looks like heavy/plate armor, middle one was good though I liked that one

in Ranger

Posted by: cursE.1794

cursE.1794

Since I dont want to open a new thread for this, maybe you can help me. Do you know what armor this is? The chest is certainly human cultural, but I’m not quite sure about the rest.

Attachments:

in Ranger

Posted by: shadowpass.4236

shadowpass.4236

head is strider
shoulders are viper
chest is t3
gloves are ascended
legs are t3…? (im not sure)
boots are ascended as well I think

I was a power ranger before it was cool.
Guild Leader of Favorable Winds [Wind]

in Ranger

Posted by: Diak Atoli.2085

Diak Atoli.2085

Well, here’s my take on a human female ranger. Doesn’t really look attuned to nature, though.

Attachments:

in Ranger

Aridia.3042

legs are t3…? (im not sure)

Those are Vigil’s Honor pants.

in Ranger

Posted by: cursE.1794

cursE.1794

Thanks very much guys.