Rangers just... suck?

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Posted by: eye floater.7140

eye floater.7140

I have an 80 guardian, 80 war, 80 necro, and the rest of my characters are over level 35. My ranger is 75 at the moment, but after playing him a while I started to hate a few things…
kittenTY kitten UTILITY SKILLS.
HORRIBLE-FEELING MELEE [sword/dagger] (It’s so far away from fluid it’s solid)
NO SURVIVABILITY.
Gokitten, I want to play ranger but they really screwed this class over.
I come from playing a GW1 ranger, and the way they MAKE you have a pet 24/7 is ridiculous. Play like you want to?
Nope.
Anyone have some miraculous build that can solve all my woes?

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Unfortunately there’s nothing really out there to make this class viable outside of spirit bunker. Hopefully progress is made in the CDI to get things where they need to be, but it may take some time.

This is the build I use, running full berserker gear. Opening Strike + RoA + QZ + Signet of the Wild on Rapid Shot stacks might well for your pet before it engages while also stacking quite a bit of vuln and dealing solid damage for an additional few hits (make sure you proc opening strike on your end), and a well-timed Signet of the Hunt on an auto just before your bird arrives will net you a pretty nice post-combo spike damage yield.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vMAQFATjMqUyaFLGsw1iAY9gw+GsVgTOjDZ0LokJ0F-w
It’s attempting to overcome the failing burst damage of the class and does so with moderate success. The major problem is the cooldowns, though.

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

I hated the 1h sword when I started and love it now (Proud owner of Bolt). It is really a learn to paly issue. People will suggest turning off autoattack but then it takes you longer to master this weapon. Learn when to use the weapon evades and learn when you are able to use your normal dodge. Turning off auto targeting is kind of required if you are using this weapon for stability.

We don’t have a get out of jail free card like other classes. We don’t have mechanism that we overly abuse and call it skill. We do however has access to most of the mechanisms. Kd, fear, stealth, immobilize, invulnerability and somewhat of an extra life bar by way of protect me.

Don’t try to play a ranger like you play the other classes. What modes do you play pvp, wvw or pve. Most ranger run different set-up for different modes.

A lot of ranger swear by condition builds. I find that its not the conditions that allow them to do well but its the tankiness that comes from such build. It is possible to have the toughness you need while having about 50% crit chance and decent power and 70- to 90 crit damge.

People can give a build that they use but I feel it better for you to create a build for yourself that suits your play style. A long the way you will find things a lot of other rangers miss.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

Yes, we just… suck!
Thief has autoattack burst, jeez…
Rapid Fire? LRS aa does better DPS.
Pet? It can aggro trahsmobs but can’t hit a player. Not bad meat in pve tho.

My playstyle is raw damage and dynamic manouvers. This game does not support it at all.

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Serraphin Storm.2369

Ranger pets haven’t been able to agro mobs for about 6 months. If your pet attack a mob its because you aggroed it and it’s set to guard so will react to the attack on you first.

everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

Try traiting into Autorespawn and Reduced Repair Cost.

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

I’m sick of people complaining about their pet.

If you don’t want a pet-class, you don’t want Ranger. It’s as simple as that.

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Posted by: Shadowbane.7109

Shadowbane.7109

A ranger is not a “pet class” like you are suggesting. It’s just moronic that we are forced to use a kittened kitten as 30% of our damage. I run a condi trapper in Spvp and WvW. Have yet to see my pet be useful there.

Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling…makes no difference.
The degree is arbitrary. The definition’s blurred.
If I’m to choose between one evil and another, I’d rather not choose at all.

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Posted by: CrossFire.8037

CrossFire.8037

A true pet class wouldn’t have it so it’s pet is actually more of a hindrance in most of the content and actually gimps the ranger. A proper pet class wouldn’t have clumsy AI with skill delays to which Anet admitted they may not be able to fix it.

The ranger is a bad beastmaster at that, it’s laughable.

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Posted by: Norjena.5172

Norjena.5172

Ranger´s can blow!…..a warhorn….too

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Posted by: albs.4812

albs.4812

I don’t believe that rangers suck at all. in fact we have much to offer groups in my opinion. True our pets don’t help much in group content, however, we have 2 skills that allow us to help downed players in bad spots without risking ourselves in the process. We also have piercing which allows us to hit multiple targets with our arrows and unlike a thief we have some control over who we hit in that scenario. We also have healing spring an extremely useful area heal which is great in groups. The problem is not our class is weak in groups but that current boss mechanics make the warrior / guardian stacking extremely synergistic. Perhaps if bosses all have a knockback ability and fight areas didn’t have exploitable stacking spots our utility would be needed more in groups rather than pure melee dps.

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Posted by: KeyOrion.9506

KeyOrion.9506

Rapid Fire spread the damage out per arrow, and not all the arrows will hit either a moving or dodging target, drastically reducing damage to 1/8 to 1/4 absolute damage overall. The only time you’ll hit with all arrows on Rapid Fire is if the enemy is running straight away from you, or directly towards you. That’s the only time you may get 100% hit on all arrows.

Of course certain shield elements with elementalist, Mesmer, and Guardian, will redirect your entire firepower back at you, and allow them to continue to pour damage upon you. You basically kill yourself, because your hitting yourself in the head, all the while that the enemy is doing too.

When I’m cute, I can be cute. But when I’m mean, I can be very very mean.

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Serraphin Storm.2369

Rapid fire arrows are like heat seekers they will even track a stealth target. While a target can block or evade/dodge a couple arrows it allows you to switch to your k9 and get that kd followed by your knock back into path of scar or whatever is your killer combo. So let them waste a dodge on minor damage.

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

A true pet class wouldn’t have it so it’s pet is actually more of a hindrance in most of the content and actually gimps the ranger. A proper pet class wouldn’t have clumsy AI with skill delays to which Anet admitted they may not be able to fix it.

The ranger is a bad beastmaster at that, it’s laughable.

This. I can give an example of a good pet class from another MMO right now. Summoner from FFXIV.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Posted by: Nektera.9425

Nektera.9425

ranger just suck in wvw zerg condition. compared to other classes. 0 support and 0 AoE.
as simple as that. the damage of LB is just too low and has no burst. there is no real AoE because there is only one AoE LB skill which have looooong cooldown..

i’m not saying that there is no good build for WvW. but its too constrained. i don’t want Anet to dictate how i should play my ranger. i want to use LB in wvw. and that is not negotiable.

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

No, it’s not as simple as that.

When people rolled a Ranger they realized it came with a pet. It wasn’t a surprise. What they discovered was pets don’t work correctly…and Anet has said they are not sure if they can fix it.

If the pets worked as intended, you would get very few, if any, complaints about them.

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Forzani.2584

…and yes, Ranger has a few issues. Nothing that a couple of tweaks wouldn’t fix. It’s nowhere near as kittenome people think.

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Posted by: Sarlack.4096

Sarlack.4096

…and yes, Ranger has a few issues. Nothing that a couple of tweaks wouldn’t fix. It’s nowhere near as kittenome people think.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Posted by: Zulika Mi Nam.1092

Zulika Mi Nam.1092

When people rolled a Ranger they realized it came with a pet. It wasn’t a surprise. What they discovered was pets don’t work correctly…and Anet has said they are not sure if they can fix it.

If the pets worked as intended, you would get very few, if any, complaints about them.

I want to play an archer like I do in every game. There is no other class that can wield both bows. The pet is just a horrible nuisance I have had to deal with. How pets got tied to “rangers” I have no idea -must be one of those copying WoW things.

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I want to play an archer like I do in every game. There is no other class that can wield both bows. The pet is just a horrible nuisance I have had to deal with. How pets got tied to “rangers” I have no idea -must be one of those copying WoW things.

. . . pets and Rangers were tied together in GW1 too, you could however leave them off if you chose. But only Rangers could have pets rather than minions.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Serraphin Storm.2369

Drizzt Do’urden from The dark elf trilogy is a Ranger that has a pet Jaguar as a companion. The are many iconic Rangers who develop relationships with animals.

Even the Ranger in after earth develop a brief but close boon with a gian bird of prey. So close that the animal gave its life to save the ranger.

Rangers and pet have a long history some closer than other but there has always been a connetion.

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Posted by: Zorby.8236

Zorby.8236

Drizzt Do’urden from The dark elf trilogy is a Ranger that has a pet Jaguar as a companion. The are many iconic Rangers who develop relationships with animals.

Even the Ranger in after earth develop a brief but close boon with a gian bird of prey. So close that the animal gave its life to save the ranger.

Rangers and pet have a long history some closer than other but there has always been a connetion.

Counter example~
Everyone’s favourite ranger (especially among anti-archers) Aragorn certainly did not have a pet in tow…unless of course you count Gimli.

~This is the internet, my (or your) opinion doesn’t matter~

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Drizzit had a pet because DnD rangers have animal companions.
Until Pathfinder’s writers overhauled the Ranger’s access to magic, the Ranger in the d20 system was just about as “meh” as we are here.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Posted by: Sarision.6347

Sarision.6347

Well thing with Drizzt is that he’s not balanced around his pet, not to mention he can even permastow it!

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Substance E.4852

Well thing with Drizzt is that he’s not balanced around his pet, not to mention he can even permastow it!

Ya, I’m pretty sure he was more about disemboweling folks with his dual scimitars than anything else.

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Posted by: Sollith.3502

Sollith.3502

I was going to come in here just to join in with the complaints, but I have to say: ranger sword is probably the best ranger weapon in game right now and you have issues with it? lol

Yes, overall the ranger does suck though. The builds that work just aren’t very fun (cough spirit build cough) and seem to mostly just be very passive for a class that should be very active.

Rangers should be the ultimate survivalists; we should bring lots of debilitating control and survival tools to a group.

• Traps should be more of a powerful preemptive ambushing mechanism (not something that one just haphazardly tosses while running around).
  • Top tier maneuverability (we should be able to scout areas ahead of zergs and pull out quicker and easier than any other class; thief would be the only one rivaling us in this area because of their stealth).
  • Pets should be an actual mechanic, not this essentially passive bs of a handicap (why traits/skills like empathic bond, SoR, and shared anguish kill our pets I will never understand; we should be keeping our pets alive and working to keep them cleansed and buffed just as much as we do our actual character).

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Serraphin Storm.2369

My point with rangers and pets was there has always be a link (in various degrees).

Spirit build suck they may add more group support but the ranger own performance isn’t that great 1v1 and 2v2 its doesn’t cut it. 3 an up you do see the benefits as most rangers perform don’t do well in those situations. Spirit builds are middle of the road at best.

Pets are only as passive as you make them. Every pet has two big skills both can be count on fairly regularly. Example would be k9’s. I can count on my wolves kd with in a couple seconds of swapping . Then I can go to the f2 fear followed by my which to my second k9 for another kd. In spvp I run a bleeder build. In group fights I do great. I also do really well in one vs one but only do to the above mentioned tactics.

Without the kd’s and the fearmy target would always be facing me. Its critical to get the flanking attacks. While stability can drag the fight out most stability it’s not an automatic lose.

In-between fights I stow my pets. It allows my pet to be at my side the moment a fight starts and in position when i need him. Stow is something that is under utilized. It should be key bindable.

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Posted by: Pipra.7580

Pipra.7580

I have an 80 Ranger, an 80 Warrior, and an 80 Guardian. Of those, I kick the most kitten with my Ranger. It’s a very different play style than the other two, but by all means it is just as viable and just as fun.

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Posted by: Bambula.3649

Bambula.3649

Stop tell that ranger sucks, if you cant handle the class it is your problem not a class problem.

Yes we have some troubel..but every class got that.
Every week again this s***** people AHHHHHH
If you want to play a archer, do it, but stop cry !

A-net never said play what you want and it is the best or most effective way.
Play what you want and know that it could suck hard, but dont cry than

Orga for [WUMS]

(edited by Bambula.3649)

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Rangers are not as capable of kicking great amounts of posterior as other classes. They never were that good at it even in the previous game – they have been more useful as pressure or single-target focus.

So it’s not a matter of the pet behavior stinking to high heaven, or our DPS, it’s a matter of our niche not being balanced towards the same ends. I’d_like_ for our niche to return to “pressure enemies into making mistakes other classes can capitalize on”. Why? Because we’re not that terrible currently in general PvE, and the biggest place we’re “meh” from what I understand is WvW.

So in WvW I want to return to what I used to be for in JQ – capture points, or drop pressure on people so others can capitalize on it.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

Both me and my pet are very survivable and do reasonable good dmg… I have traitred for using bows and my pet.

It takes some (long) time to learn this class properly. Lern it first and then complain….
It sure need some fixes (like all classes) but it’s far from as broken as ppl say.

Kima & Co

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

Rangers held their own with strong condition builds for a long time. The Nerf last July to the Shortbow, (to force players to use the Longbow) coupled with changes to skills has removed the strong conditions option.

The only way to remain somewhat effective is to learn the Sword, and when you think you have, it will surprise you. Frankly, it’s an ugly weapon for functionality.

As it stands, I’d say your title is correct. (Strangely, I still play Ranger the most by far).

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

Counter example~
Everyone’s favourite ranger (especially among anti-archers) Aragorn certainly did not have a pet in tow…unless of course you count Gimli.

Nice that you mentioned that example, as he wasn’t the Ranger “Archer kit” that people love. Not all Rangers are Archers.

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

Uhm, you guys seem to be mixing things up;
You talk about viable builds, then you talk about spirits, then WvW.
Ok, i do not deny that spirits can be used in WvW, i have used them myself, and they can be effective/supportive to some degree. However, the typical spirit ranger (sPvP build) that people consider to be viable, will get you instantly killed in WvW and it will be mediocre at best in PvE.
The two spirits i consider good are sun and nature spirit. Water spirit does have it’s niche but it leaves you more vulnerable to attacks then any other setup does.

Fact is, spirits and WvW, rarely works well. There is too much AOE, too much stuns, knockbacks, lines of warding, mesmer pulls, fear marks and other things for spirits to ever work reliably in large scale encounters.

Trapper is a build that works very well in PvP and WvW, but is borderlining ineffective in PvE.

Please keep the modes APART.
Ranger is in the higher tiers in PvP, High tier in dungeons, viable but not preferred in PvE and useful in smaller WvW encounters.

Claiming rangers is useless means you haven’t learnt to play the class properly. If you refuse to play the class as intended by the developers, then you will not be successful. Therefore, running full zerk longbow with 0 points in BM will NOT make you successful in all modes. It is just how it is. Deal with it, move on and explore the class. Learn to play, learn to listen to those of us who are experienced and successful. Just because i tell you that the class isnt useless doesn’t mean i deny it having issues, some of them being quite large. However it boils down to your ability as a player to lessen the impact the issues this class have on your gameplay.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Forzani.2584

…………..

1.Please keep the modes APART.

2. If you refuse to play the class as intended by the developers, then you will not be successful. .

Two statements that should be stamped on the forehead of every Ranger new or old.

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Counter example~

Nice that you mentioned that example, as he wasn’t the Ranger “Archer kit” that people love. Not all Rangers are Archers.

He also was a ranger as “race”, as in “descendant of Numenor” and they were known as “Rangers” to the people who knew about them but not their lineage.

As far as class goes, Aragorn was undoubtedly a paladin.

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Counter example~

He also was a ranger as “race”, as in “descendant of Numenor” and they were known as “Rangers” to the people who knew about them but not their lineage.

As far as class goes, Aragorn was undoubtedly a paladin.

He started out as a ranger, he turned in to a paladin. Trahearn had a similar journey and there are a lot of others from other genres. Every leader turns in to a guardian..

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Posted by: Faux Sheaux.6179

Faux Sheaux.6179

NO SURVIVABILITY.

Lol what
You’re doing it wrong

Ehmry Bay – Grindhouse Gaming [GH]
Menorah | Charr Cat | Some Cat Thing
Still running my old RRR build because why not

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Tobias Trueflight.8350

He started out as a ranger, he turned in to a paladin. Trahearn had a similar journey and there are a lot of others from other genres. Every leader turns in to a guardian..

Nope. I might go so far as to allow fighter with wilderness survival secondary proficiencies but not ranger. Not the book Aragorn. I mean, he hit level 9 and started gathering followers too. An elf (who is undoubtedly a ranger) and a dwarf. That’s not ranger, that’s warrior.

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Posted by: Skweak.7392

Skweak.7392

Anyone have some miraculous build that can solve all my woes?

Nope. The traits are screwed.

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Serraphin Storm.2369

Nope. I might go so far as to allow fighter with wilderness survival secondary proficiencies but not ranger. Not the book Aragorn. I mean, he hit level 9 and started gathering followers too. An elf (who is undoubtedly a ranger) and a dwarf. That’s not ranger, that’s warrior.

Ranger doesn’t mean archer. While Ranger very often are skill with bows it isn’t necessarily their primary weapon. Aargorn is a ranger of the north.

As I have said before The hobbit and the lord of the rings book are what character and classes of D&D are based on or inspired by. Those of you who have only seen the movies are missing a lot of the oringin of what most D&D charcters and class are based and intern, what most mmorpgs are based on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranger_

This also show why so many rangers have links with animals ( in various degrees).

For the record Legolas was classified as the archer of the group. The bond between Aaragon was not because of their profession but mainly they both were strangers amoung the Eleves (Legolas being a Grey Elf).

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Posted by: Nurgle.6597

Nurgle.6597

Yeah they suck horribly and anet seems to not care. There is literally not a single reason for me to play my ranger over my warrior or guardian.

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Serraphin Storm.2369

Yeah they suck horribly and anet seems to not care. There is literally not a single reason for me to play my ranger over my warrior or guardian.

I play my ranger for the fun and challenge. My Grandmother could play a warrior and/or Guardian. Both classes have armor and lots of healing couple with damage. When they are unable to end a battle quick they can just run away.

motto of the heavy class: I don’t wanna to die.

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Well there’s plenty for me. Notably and primarily: I go down with my warrior a lot more often than I do as my ranger.

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Posted by: Enzeru.2789

Enzeru.2789

I never have an issue with this class. I don’t understand all the complaining people do and the hate people give people who can play this class. Simply look up some builds that suit your play style.

Guild Leader of Dragonheart Legion [DL] on Meguuma.

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Substance E.4852

I never have an issue with this class. I don’t understand all the complaining people do and the hate people give people who can play this class. Simply look up some builds that suit your play style.

I’m guessing your guild doesn’t do much WvW then?

Hell, I don’t even remember seeing any WvW SoR primetime guild ever running Rangers.

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Posted by: Enzeru.2789

Enzeru.2789

Hell, I don’t even remember seeing any WvW SoR primetime guild ever running Rangers.

We’ve not done WvW in a long time. Our main focus has been living story, crafting, and leveling related. I still don’t see the problem. If people know how to play their class there shouldn’t be one. Maybe people should actually do some research into builds rather than automatically saying the class is broken because what they want to do isn’t that great for pvp.

Guild Leader of Dragonheart Legion [DL] on Meguuma.

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

We’ve not done WvW in a long time. Our main focus has been living story, crafting, and leveling related. I still don’t see the problem. If people know how to play their class there shouldn’t be one. Maybe people should actually do some research into builds rather than automatically saying the class is broken because what they want to do isn’t that great for pvp.

“Maybe people should actually do some research into builds rather than automatically saying the class is broken because what they want to do isn’t that great for pvp.” Wow… thats like me saying: maybe you should craft less and get to know the class better. See what I did there?

Why do you think theres this? https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/balance/Collaborative-Development-Ranger-Profession

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Serraphin Storm.2369

The problem is to many people try to play like a warrior or guardian. Damage and armor are inherent with these two classes. Your not going to be able to dps and/or tank like them.

While every one talks about dps being king. It is but after that survivability is next in line. Thief are just as squishy as rangers but next to inherent toughness stealth is prince. This also extends to mesmers.

There are rangers that ask for more stealth. Stealth is bs. When you stealth you are just saving your own kitten and putting more pressure on those in your group who can’t(mesmers to a lesser extent because of their clones).

There is really no respect for thieves or mesmers. The few group uses for their stealth ability is why they are tolerated.

I could go down the list of each profession. Why are Ranger the first class to be looked at because we are are not OP. Warrior/Guardian have it all. DPS, Armor, Healing and mobility. While every build doesn’t focus on all the elements. The ability for them to do it all with out suffering much lose is the others is why they are OP.

If the CDI was focus on either of these classes they would be looking at a nerf.

Stealth is to abundant. Ranger are expected to flank on the sb to get bleeds with out stealth skills. But thieves are allowed to do massive amounts of damage when they get a flanking attack and no only they they get a bonus when they do it from stealth.

Gw2 has risk vs reward. In keeping with that theme They should do more damage when flanking and not stealth. But I do understand that it makes more sense to do more damage when your target doesn’t see you.

For me it makes a lot of sense to do the ranger first because the ranger in no shape or form is OP. I don’t believe we are underpowered, I think its that some of the other class are over powered. So filling in some of the holes the ranger has and then balancing the game around rangers makes perfect sense to me.

Our pets not scaling with armor is an issue. Having damage mitigation that is inherent in the class that can be used no matter what build is used is what rangers need. Ranger have a lot of damage mitigation its just so spread out and changes according to what build you are running.

Its part of why ranger are fun to play but its also why Ranger can feel disjointed.

Rangers just... suck?

in Ranger

Posted by: Rentapest.6503

Rentapest.6503

NO SURVIVABILITY.
Gokitten, I want to play ranger but they really screwed this class over. Play like you want to?
Nope.

Yeah the survivability is rediculous! In a game where there are no tanks/healers, you need to be able to survive as a dps, which simply isn’t always possible!

As for the melee, I avoid it at all costs because it feels clunky and under-powered.

sigh I also would like to see an option to remove/dismiss the pet. I like playing a Ranger/Archer class, I like the pet, I simply want to be able to chose when it assists me or not!

Pets are extremely weak and die very quickly, then spend the time limping around looking sorry for themselves instead of actually being useful. Also, even if you manage to heal your pet in combat, it still will not return to combat until you fully come out of combat let it heal to absolutely 100% hp and then it’ll consider fighting again, only to die instantly. Once a pet is above 25% it should immediately return to combat! We should also have a “mend pet” or “heal pet” skill that is seperate from our own healing spell.

The current game mechanics for pets is silly. You have the pet on “avoid comabat” and stowed away, but as soon as you take any damage, the pet is repsawned! If you’ve swapped to your second pet to and stowed it, your first pet is respawned, forcing you to use the 60s cooldown to swap pets to the one you want (if you want to swap). If the pet is on “avoid combat” and stowed, it should remain stowed until called. Alternatively, provide a “dissmiss” pet option.

Lastly, with pets like the cats that give might buff/boon, you want to be able to stand at Longobw range, press the pet-skill button and receive the buff/boon. you do not want to press three keys and wait 10seconds to do this! Press F3, recall pet, wait for it to come, through all the aoe damage of a fight, hope it doesnt die, press F2 … wait for it to think about roaring then it roars and you get a buff, also hope you don’t have to move away in this time, then send the pet back in to combat. -.- Having said this, pet skills take far too long to cast! They should be instant! Bear skill “shake it off” never removes important debuffs/conditions from me because by the time I press it and the pet roars, the condition has either expired or killed me anyway.

A-net never said play what you want and it is the best or most effective way.

No, they just made a game that is supposedly meant to be “balanced” with all classes being able to preform all roles, no tanks/healers, just grab a weapon and go. That seems to be the idea, yet we have superior classes with better survivability/damage and that is why people complain. We have taken the class we want to play, and it’s not as effective as other classes we encounter.