Rangers skipped over again....

in Ranger

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Personally, I like it better when they DON’T talk the class I’m playing. It never tends to go over well given my MMO experience.

Regardless, I love my ranger and play no other class.

If people feel so disenchanted, they can always play something else until the class is addressed to their satisfaction.

While I agree the class has issues, I have to admit the other classes need more help. I don’t believe anyone can argue there aren’t massive issues with the engineer or necromancer.

Let them get in line first.

Gone to Reddit.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lert.6287

Lert.6287

Arden, compare today’s engineer and ranger, then you will see what we mean. Countless odd conditions, many supportive skills, self-booning, ways to escape, burst – we don’t have any of those. And saying if we don’t like the way it is, we can try other classes isn’t solution. It’s politely saying to ‘’go kitten ourselves’’.
Just adding few boons to traits and skills we already have and boost something (weapon sets, survivabilty) would have huge impact. And THAT would be good START.

Engineer / Piken Square
Former Team Psy [Psy] member/ [BNF] guest
YT Channel

(edited by Lert.6287)

in Ranger

Posted by: Drok Kindleshot.1496

Drok Kindleshot.1496

This just proves it that Fixing the rangers ailments is not on the high priority list for 2 reasons.

1. Lots of botters use Rangers
2. Not many players are Rangers

Is just disheartening to us folks who have that high level ranger shelved until they fix it but seeing as they again pretty much ignored the biggest problem with the ranger which is the pet I’m done spending any money on this game or even logging on till they fix it and I don’t care if it takes another year.

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

Let’s stop all the QQing until the patch actually comes out and you can see what or wasnt done in it’s entirty.

I enjoy me ranger. I play the class because I enjoy it. You are not married to the class but to play the class in hopes they change it. Is like marrying someone and hope they change after marriage. Somethings are deal breakers and some are tolerable.

If the ranger pets are a deal breaker for you then you are playing the wrong class. If they change it in a year or 2 years from now then you can come back and revist it.

But how ever you feel lets just wait and see how all the pieces fit together.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

in Ranger

Posted by: jkctmc.8754

jkctmc.8754

You can’t move side to side… I had soooooooo many bunkers/other rangers try this in tPvP as I was harassing from 2k (out of short bow range) and the just kept eating my arrows, that bug was fixed a while ago!

Lick wounds works 100% of the time until you die on a slope (needs fixing)

Can’t perma stow cause we are THE PET PROF anet doesn’t want us to perma stow they’ve said so A LOT now.

No issue w/ the rest of your post Ryan

You can still outrun Longbow shots. <grins> I do it all the time.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece
80 Thief – 80 Warrior – 80 Guardian – 80 Ranger
80 Mesmer – 80 Necromancer

in Ranger

Posted by: Ant Boogy.9673

Ant Boogy.9673

I have no problems with my ranger.. i’m a trapper/condition build. And i do heavy amounts of damage to groups. I have no problem with this class, except for one thing..

One thing i have to agree on.. that i have a huge problem with.. is my pet not rezzing me on surfaces that aren’t flat. There have been WAY too many times where i’ve hit that skill and nothing would happen.. i would even be stupid enough to read the description of the skill to see if it says anything about it, but nope.. must be a bug. Please fix that issue, it’s driving me crazy in situations where i have a lot of health on down, but can’t rez because my pet gets bugged whenever i need the rez.

in Ranger

jkctmc.8754

Learn to Micro? I have 0 issue keeping my pets up in dungeons, WvW i don’t do much there, but when i do fight there i just keep my pet back until the zergs clash and then i throw him into the fray, normally after who ever my target is and then once they die/retreat i call my pet back, let him heal up and search out a new victim.

And the pet is clearly obvious, but you want to know some MAJOR differences between pets and phantasms? 1) Pets don’t die as easily as a Phantasm 2) Pets attack more than once ~5s, a LOT more than once ~5s. So you know what happens when an enemy is stupid and tries to dodge every pet attack and/or focus on the pet? They die, end of story, unless they burst down the pet they’re just wasting time fighting the wrong thing. And if they -do- burst down the pet and you’re running a GC build it means that you get to kill them in most scenarios because you can burst them while they attack your pet, and then when they can burst again you can too and then they die.

If i’m fighting a mesmer all i need to do to kill their phantasm (unless they’re one of those really rare toughness mesmers) is shoot it with 2 autos, and i can certainly dodge their blatantly obvious attack ever ~5s.

PS: You phantasm isn’t up 30% of the fight, your phantasm will be up for MAYBE 1% of the fight, die, and then you summon a new one, the pet can stay in the entire fight if you’re a total beast at micro even with 0 BM.

I can bring Phantasms up faster than you can kill them, and each time I bring a new one up, there goes a very large chunk of your health. Up until now I’ve let you talk nonsense, but you’re stretching things so far out of reality, I can’t help but speak up.

The Longbow is pretty good in sPvP, very good in PvE, but it is the worst weapon you can run in WvW, period.

As for pets, a good player can avoid more than 50% of their damage. Watch some of the videos out there, especially Rangers fighting other Rangers. You can tell the better Rangers, they’re the ones avoiding the other Rangers pet 90% of the time. Watch Xsorus, and how he avoids Ranger pets.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece

in Ranger

jkctmc.8754

I see this is a hot topic.
I agree with rangers need more attention. I always get teased because i play and enjoy my ranger. would be nice if people would welcome rangers into wvw, dungeons, etc.

I’ve never had issues, I’ve had a few “omg your pets still alive?!?” Responses in a handful of dungeons… But It’s usually in fights that its not even hard to do… Like the ice dog giant things in the Kodan instance path 2

I don’t PvE, never have, and never will, but I could keep my pet at my side 100% of the time, and it will always stay alive, but what use is that? Each and every time your pet is not attacking, that is less damage you, as a player are doing, and all the more reason for me to pick up a Warrior and complete the run faster.

In WvW, the pet is virtually useless against a good player, or in zerg vs zerg fighting (something I avoid) because I run solo or in small groups most of the time. Pets have a large number of issues, and saying; “I do fine with them” is not an honest assessment of every aspect of this game.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece

in Ranger

Posted by: Bailey.6892

Bailey.6892

Devs just can’t seem to get balance right on a Ranger. Our main problems right now are due to pets and just being a lame mechanic in general

Sadly our main problem is the fecal matter coding from anet and the dev team. Pets are a major problem, anet is out biggest problem.

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

Devs just can’t seem to get balance right on a Ranger. Our main problems right now are due to pets and just being a lame mechanic in general

Sadly our main problem is the fecal matter coding from anet and the dev team. Pets are a major problem, anet is out biggest problem.

Anet did a great job with the game. The could be some much wrong with the game.
You could always go back to any of the other MMO (WoW EQ2 AoC.)

Other MMO have some much down time paid and free. The fact they can make changes without having 1-6 hrs downtime is a great thing by itself.

I rather anet make slow changes rather that quick changes and then have to go back and change it again later.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

in Ranger

jkctmc.8754

Anet did a great job with the game. The could be some much wrong with the game.
You could always go back to any of the other MMO (WoW EQ2 AoC.)

Other MMO have some much down time paid and free. The fact they can make changes without having 1-6 hrs downtime is a great thing by itself.

I rather anet make slow changes rather that quick changes and then have to go back and change it again later.

You almost sound like you believe this is the first game they’ve created. O.O

Renno – Stonegard – Aece

in Ranger

Ardenwolfe.8590

Arden, compare today’s engineer and ranger, then you will see what we mean. Countless odd conditions, many supportive skills, self-booning, ways to escape, burst – we don’t have any of those. And saying if we don’t like the way it is, we can try other classes isn’t solution. It’s politely saying to ‘’go kitten ourselves’’.
Just adding few boons to traits and skills we already have and boost something (weapon sets, survivabilty) would have huge impact. And THAT would be good START.

Respectfully, we do have all the abilities you listed that we don’t. You may not like them, or use them, but they’re there.

Let me be clear. I didn’t say rangers should never see review, I’m saying let the engineers, for example, be first. Anyone who says engineers don’t have more issues isn’t paying attention.

People still play this class in abundance. Engineers? Not so much.

Gone to Reddit.

in Ranger

Posted by: Saweth You Him.9047

Saweth You Him.9047

The best way to balance ranger imo is to get rid of rampage as one and replace it with a different elite. Break it down amongst the utility skills to make its components more on demand. Rampage as one followed by a pet swap for 2 seconds of quickness and barrage while simultaneously sending your jaguar to target then hitting longbow 3 then popping jaguar stealth when you pet gets to target then QZ and longbow 2 is devastating but it is also very restrictive. The problem with ranger is all the long cooldown burst skills. You can throw in an active signet of the wild and Sick ‘Em for even more devastation. The long cooldown burst skills are probably what restricts a better ranger class with more on demand skills. But waiting for long cooldown burst skills to set up one complated spike is a zzzz way to play. A guardian can hit 3 then 2 on their greatsword and they are in the fray right away without some long combo to set up. If they make longbow projectiles fly faster then ranger would probably insta gib anything that doesn’t have invulnerability.

What the ranger does have is a 15 second water field. They can use GS #3 to get to the melee right away and drop one then turn around and hit GS #4 for 3 seconds of block. By the time the block is up the melee is probably condition free and healed up from blast finishers on the water field and advancing so you can turn around and shoot some more. Or even barrage to cripple a bunch of people so they get killed and seperated.

so sayeth the great innuendo

in Ranger

Posted by: Saweth You Him.9047

Saweth You Him.9047

Respectfully, we do have all the abilities you listed that we don’t. You may not like them, or use them, but they’re there.

Let me be clear. I didn’t say rangers should never see review, I’m saying let the engineers, for example, be first. Anyone who says engineers don’t have more issues isn’t paying attention.

People still play this class in abundance. Engineers? Not so much.

I want to make an engineer but my slots are full. They seem to own my retaliation guardian in sPvP better than any other class but get owned by my condition necro. I can beat them in a long fight with a one handed sword meditation guardian. That`s about all I know about them. They stack boons and do cc and condition damage and kite. Like the necro who has a good build without pets the engineer probably has a good build without turrets but the ranger has no build without pets.

so sayeth the great innuendo

in Ranger

Posted by: Victory.2879

Victory.2879

Bear in mind how they defined our class:

1. the MASTERS of long range.

2. Pets are half your damage.

Many classes have way better skills and way better damage using bows then we do. ‘Rapid Fire’ is one of the longest channels in the game, easily dodged, and even your own pet can block it!

Pets are pretty useless unless the target stands still.

The devs have no clue how to fix this without making rangers OP, so they don’t.

Here’s a subtle hint devs: try taking a look at gw1 skills and put something in gw2 that looks and feels like a real ranger class- hell, even ‘avenge me’ when your pet dies would be a good start to cover that huge loss in damage we suffer due to pathetic mechanics when the pet wonders off or fails to return.

Victory, Beings Lost On Borderlands (BLOB), SFR & Gandara (inactive)

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Bear in mind how they defined our class:

1. the MASTERS of long range.

2. Pets are half your damage.

Many classes have way better skills and way better damage using bows then we do. ‘Rapid Fire’ is one of the longest channels in the game, easily dodged, and even your own pet can block it!

Pets are pretty useless unless the target stands still.

The devs have no clue how to fix this without making rangers OP, so they don’t.

Here’s a subtle hint devs: try taking a look at gw1 skills and put something in gw2 that looks and feels like a real ranger class- hell, even ‘avenge me’ when your pet dies would be a good start to cover that huge loss in damage we suffer due to pathetic mechanics when the pet wonders off or fails to return.

Why they removed our ability to Rez our pets I will never know… I mean, c’mon, I know in GW1 there were some seriously pet hateful encounters (oh god you stupid dryders in UW…) but at least we could Rez our pet easily instead of getting the shaft, “oh well half your damage is going to be controlled by AI, and if it dies from the many 1 shot mechanics we added to force players to Rez each other…. Well sucks to be you gimpy!!”

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

I don’t know what the hell are some of guys playing. Not sure if its “Guild Wars 2”.

Some says our issues can be solved with using this and that – So we all supposed to use the same kitten setup and weapons? C’mon…

Or order us to play other classes? Are you serious?? Is it OUR decision to play what we want and what we like to. I keep playing Ranger, even if its a huge disadvantage when looking for a party. I compensate the wrong design with my playing skills. Everyone should do so.

And then, ranger bots and low ranger statistics? Yeah. Look at how bots work. If they’re not teleporting on gathering nodes, they walk the same path over and over again (disappearing at the end, reappearing at the start continously).
People are afraid to use Rangers these days, because we may report them as bots.
(Some people has no guild represented, some bots has. Some ranger does not name their pet somewhy.) Anyway, there are thief, guardian, necro bots also.
Yesterday I saw a warrior bot who gone invisible for short peroids – making harder to report.

So stick with the reasonable points:

• Every class should be equal, both in effectiveness and priory at fixing
  • Every class (even Rangers) should be any kind of type (DPS, Support,etc)
Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

(edited by RoyalPredator.9163)

in Ranger

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

They need to make the longbow’s #1 fire rate faster or increase its damage or something. Honestly, the Mesmer’s greatsword is a better ranged weapon, and they’re not even advertised as a ranged class. That very fact alone should be a big, flashing sign saying, “Something about this is seriously kittened up.” Really, ANet? Really?

….the mesmer has only one melee weapon. The ranger has two.

The only reason mesmer greatsword works is because of the phantasm and mesmer stealth allowing him to recreate distance.

Other than that, the mesmer’s greatsword autoattack is just as bad. It’s equally ranged cap, and it’s a long channel relative to other autoattacks like thief shortbow or warrior rifle.

And next patch is a beam….

Our arrows hit infinite amount of targets, their beam hits 3 total.

This is done with a trait that few even consider getting because of the other options.
It’s very poorly designed and can only work if you target a player in the back.
Now does it not have a target cap? I find that unlikely, but I’ve never tried to hit more than 2 or 3 people with it.

Actually that trait is fundamental and one of the very best traits we have. Anyone that uses bows for damage should try to trait Piercing Arrows if at all possible, it’s effectively a damage multiplier. In PvE it’s essential, though it’s considerably harder to line up your opponents in PvP.

Piercing Arrows should be merged with Quick Draw. I don’t know why rangers have to use two traits to do the same thing warriors can do with a single trait. I look at the differences between classes and trait design and marvel at the inconsistencies. While I can see some reasons for why some classes get some things easier than others, the general impression I get is that the developers just didn’t have a clear idea of what they wanted, they did a hodge podge of traits and rangers got the short straw in cases like Piercing Arrows/Quick Draw vs the warrior’s Crack Shot which has the effect of both ranger traits but in a single trait. It’s ridiculous to me that ranger builds have fewer options because they have to use twice as many resources to accomplish the same thing warriors can with a single resource.

in Ranger

Posted by: gaborkaldy.3210

gaborkaldy.3210

I have to say I’m not surprised they have skipped rangers again. I don’t expect too much love from the March updates either beside they might give us the AR share with pets, what should have been implemented in fractals from day one. Basically this is the first thought should have come into mind from anyone who gives kitten about the ranger class.

I just put my ranger on hold after the February patch (beside gathering ores, attending dragon events) until they get fixed somehow and now i am going with my shiny Warrior into WvW battles. Best decision I’ve made so far in GW2. Useful in WvW. Welcomed in dungeons.

I still love ranger better than my Warrior as Ranger was always my only class through my MMO history but if they don’t give a kitten… i move on.

It’s always Beer Time!
Desolation – [TEU]

(edited by gaborkaldy.3210)

in Ranger

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

Ar is useless without a 30% aoe resistance. They will implement this eventually because there’s no other way. Looks like that aoe nerf isnt happening.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

in Ranger

Posted by: capuchinseven.8395

capuchinseven.8395

Getting bored of these posts. We’ve not been ignored, we’re being buffed and OTHER classes are getting attention, but not always good attention. Elemental distance covering is being looked at under a strong light and thieves being able to spend 90% of a fight in stealth is being nerfed.

Yes we still have issues, yes it would be nice if pets got smarter and if sprits got fixed but it’s clear they are not going to just, big bang buff/nerf, every patch, every time.

They could communicate better and have made some bad early choices (which they’ve admitted themselves) but I’m sick of huge buffs then massive nerfs over and over in MMOs in the name of balance.

I’m happy to wait and let them take their time.

The “omg teh next big MMO will get it right first time so I’ll be going there in a few months” arguments are just not in touch with reality.

The bravest animal in the land is Captain Beaky and his band.

(edited by capuchinseven.8395)

in Ranger

Ardenwolfe.8590

/\ This. Like I said before, I kinda like it when we don’t get attention for obvious reasons.

Gone to Reddit.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chicho Gosho.6507

Chicho Gosho.6507

Getting bored of these posts. We’ve not been ignored, we’re being buffed and OTHER classes are getting attention, but not always good attention. Elemental distance covering is being looked at under a strong light and thieves being able to spend 90% of a fight in stealth is being nerfed.

Yes we still have issues, yes it would be nice if pets got smarter and if sprits got fixed but it’s clear they are not going to just, big bang buff/nerf, every patch, every time.

They could communicate better and have made some bad early choices (which they’ve admitted themselves) but I’m sick of huge buffs then massive nerfs over and over in MMOs in the name of balance.

I’m happy to wait and let them take their time.

The “omg teh next big MMO will get it right first time so I’ll be going there in a few months” arguments are just not in touch with reality.

I’m glad you’re happy but me personally don’t like it when after 6 months of GW2 all we got was a new bird skin.

in Ranger

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

You can’t move side to side… I had soooooooo many bunkers/other rangers try this in tPvP as I was harassing from 2k (out of short bow range) and the just kept eating my arrows, that bug was fixed a while ago!

Lick wounds works 100% of the time until you die on a slope (needs fixing)

Can’t perma stow cause we are THE PET PROF anet doesn’t want us to perma stow they’ve said so A LOT now.

No issue w/ the rest of your post Ryan

You can still outrun Longbow shots. <grins> I do it all the time.

I also dodge side to side successfully and lick wounds continues to only work 45% of the time with my Krytan Drakehound.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Keep in mind that just because they ran out of time in this talk doesn’t mean they aren’t working on it. Ranger pet mechanics is a complicated, difficult issue and it’s just fine that it isn’t always discussed.

Everyone: relax!

Given your “scientific background” and your familiarity with peer review, then you must understand the need for empirical evidence. If your claims are true.

That’s a long way of saying, “I’m still waiting for my link, Bro”. Show me where ArenaNet is both aware and working on the numerous issues faced by Rangers.

A dev posted this a day or so before you challenged me to find the link.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Robert-Hrouda-on-pets-in-dungeons/page/11#post1620086

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

(edited by Chopps.5047)

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryan.8367

Ryan.8367

Meanwhile guardians getting 10% dmg reduction innate and phantasm mesmers getting buffed too.

Tanbin 80 Ranger
Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: Krugan.7901

Krugan.7901

Why they removed our ability to Rez our pets I will never know… I mean, c’mon, I know in GW1 there were some seriously pet hateful encounters (oh god you stupid dryders in UW…) but at least we could Rez our pet easily instead of getting the shaft, “oh well half your damage is going to be controlled by AI, and if it dies from the many 1 shot mechanics we added to force players to Rez each other…. Well sucks to be you gimpy!!”

Their justification was something like this: since the ranger can just rez the pet by swapping, a manual rez is a bad decision.

It’s actually in line with their philosophy: since the pet is always alive you don’t need to rez him often, BUT if you need a rez from time to time you can just swap.

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Their justification was something like this: since the ranger can just rez the pet by swapping, a manual rez is a bad decision.

It’s actually in line with their philosophy: since the pet is always alive you don’t need to rez him often, BUT if you need a rez from time to time you can just swap.

Oh I was talking about the utility in Alpha on a 25s Cd, 2s Cast that removed all condis from pet and healed it to full health (Comfort Animal), I know when they first talked about it the CD was 60s then they reduced it, then they removed the ability, it upsets me.

@I can Outrun Arrows: yeah, you can and its pretty stupid lol, becomes really easy to do with Swiftness + Runes of Speed.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: Krugan.7901

Krugan.7901

Then probably because it would have been a must pick.

in Ranger

Posted by: Cogadh.1845

Cogadh.1845

You can tweak weapon damage/traits/utilites as much as you like, but until the pet design is fixed/removed/replaced, rangers will never be in the place they need to be. I’d argue that apart from thieves and eles, rangers are the profession most reliant on their class core mechanic and that mechanic, for all intents and purposes, is broken.

in Ranger

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

Actually ranger core mechanic is evasion (it’s on almost every weapon). I feel pets were just sorta tacked on last minute.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

in Ranger

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

Actually ranger core mechanic is evasion (it’s on almost every weapon). I feel pets were just sorta tacked on last minute.

Rangers don’t have a single skill that removes immobilize/cripple/chill outside of our already limited condition removal skills. We only have two stun breakers while other classes get as many as four. We only have two very situational sources of vigor.

We do have plenty of evades on our melee weapons, but out of all our ranged weapons, only the shortbow has an evade skill.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Ranger

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

I think the developers don’t know what to do with Rangers. They can’t fix pets, because AI is always terrible compared to people.

At the same time, they are committed to the idea that a ranger should have a powerful animal companion that does most of the damage.

What made me stop playing my ranger months ago (he was my first 80 and now mostly sits around wearing rare coat and some masterwork boots — I really should get him some pants) was the realization that they would rather have the ranger be under-powered and broken than over-powered and broken.

No matter what, he’s going to be broken.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

Rangers don’t have a single skill that removes immobilize/cripple/chill outside of our already limited condition removal skills. We only have two stun breakers while other classes get as many as four. We only have two very situational sources of vigor.

We do have plenty of evades on our melee weapons, but out of all our ranged weapons, only the shortbow has an evade skill.

By my count, besides Soldier’s runes or generosity/purity sigil, we have Shake it Off, Signet of Renewal, Empathic Bond, Healing Spring, and…that’s it, right? Would you mind comparing these directly to other professions?

So, slightly off topic, but that gives ranger many ways to apply cripple (as well as the only way to make cripple last longer via traits as far as I know: Trap Potency for the spike trap) and four ways to remove it. Signet of Renewal is reallllly good, keep that in mind: sends all conditions from all allies in range to pet, then you swap pets before it dies.

Immobilize, chill, and cripple…what professions remove it better and why? Is healing spring or signet of renewal just no good? Because I always thought they provided some of the best removal potential in the game. Was I wrong in that estimation?

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

I agree with rangers need more attention. I always get teased because i play and enjoy my ranger. would be nice if people would welcome rangers into wvw, dungeons, etc.

I’ve never had issues, I’ve had a few “omg your pets still alive?!?” Responses in a handful of dungeons… But It’s usually in fights that its not even hard to do… Like the ice dog giant things in the Kodan instance path 2

I don’t PvE, never have, and never will, but I could keep my pet at my side 100% of the time, and it will always stay alive, but what use is that? Each and every time your pet is not attacking, that is less damage you, as a player are doing, and all the more reason for me to pick up a Warrior and complete the run faster.

In WvW, the pet is virtually useless against a good player, or in zerg vs zerg fighting (something I avoid) because I run solo or in small groups most of the time. Pets have a large number of issues, and saying; “I do fine with them” is not an honest assessment of every aspect of this game.

I usually apply cripples/chills and use 30% run speed for pets, along with cats, and I don’t have a problem making contact with pets, usually. Sometimes I’ll use ranged pets with expertise training and that tends to work out well. The dogs are very accurate with their leaps and with a trap build you’re doing conditions instead of direct damage.

With that in mind, your argument seems to boil down to you want your pet to be able to hit better without depending on cripple, chill, immobilize, stun, or daze; without pet speed and without traiting anything for pets. Am I understanding you correctly? Then it seems your real complaint is that you can’t both run the traits you want to run AND have your pet do reliable damage.

in Ranger

capuchinseven.8395

Not totally correct.

a) Almost all our evades will still work even when you’re immobilized. Can we be locked down? Yes it’s the chalk to our evasion cheese but we’re not totally helpless.
b) What are you talking about? Very situation based vigor? We have perma-vigor which can be ran almost 90% of the time. You’re not looking at your builds properly.

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

Read that link carefully, slowly, he says ANET working on pets is nothing new and has been going on for a while after launch. I thought that’s what you were looking for? The original discussion we had was in reference to two rangers using pets to tank bosses, recall?

(edited by Chopps.5047)

in Ranger

Ryan.8367

“Getting bored of these posts. We’ve not been ignored, we’re being buffed and OTHER classes are getting attention, but not always good attention. Elemental distance covering is being looked at under a strong light and thieves being able to spend 90% of a fight in stealth is being nerfed.”

Get used to it then, because these posts will happen until the class gets truly fixed, whether you like or not.

Tanbin 80 Ranger
Maguuma

in Ranger

Ryan.8367

“Read that link carefully, slowly, he says ANET working on pets is nothing new and has been going on for a while after launch. I thought that’s what you were looking for? The original discussion we had was in reference to two rangers using pets to tank bosses, recall?”

Why should every other area of the game get ignored because it’s speculated that 2 ranger pets can take a boss in pve?

Tanbin 80 Ranger
Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: AreUMadBro.6907

AreUMadBro.6907

Greatswords needs buffs. They should stop nerfing rangers. Talk about it.

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

“Read that link carefully, slowly, he says ANET working on pets is nothing new and has been going on for a while after launch. I thought that’s what you were looking for? The original discussion we had was in reference to two rangers using pets to tank bosses, recall?”

Why should every other area of the game get ignored because it’s speculated that 2 ranger pets can take a boss in pve?

Ryan, this discussion between Petra and myself has been ongoing for a week now. What you are saying isn’t relevant. Petra asked me for a dev post showing they are aware of problems with pets and working on it. I gave that link which said just that. Regarding that specific example, that was one thing the dev brought up that he recalled from internal discussions and it’s certainly not the only thing ANET is working on.

in Ranger

Posted by: Pedra.4381

Pedra.4381

Ryan, this discussion between Petra and myself has been ongoing for a week now. What you are saying isn’t relevant. Petra asked me for a dev post showing they are aware of problems with pets and working on it. I gave that link which said just that. Regarding that specific example, that was one thing the dev brought up that he recalled from internal discussions and it’s certainly not the only thing ANET is working on.

Petra is a beautiful place in Jordan (think Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade). Pedra is Portugese.

I answered you but I was bad. Since I can’t really think of a good way to respond that isn’t naughty, I’ll just remain silent on this subject and continue to search for evidence.

JonPeters.5630:]I do still believe ranger is the profession in most need of improvement…

in Ranger

jkctmc.8754

I usually apply cripples/chills and use 30% run speed for pets, along with cats, and I don’t have a problem making contact with pets, usually. Sometimes I’ll use ranged pets with expertise training and that tends to work out well. The dogs are very accurate with their leaps and with a trap build you’re doing conditions instead of direct damage.

With that in mind, your argument seems to boil down to you want your pet to be able to hit better without depending on cripple, chill, immobilize, stun, or daze; without pet speed and without traiting anything for pets. Am I understanding you correctly? Then it seems your real complaint is that you can’t both run the traits you want to run AND have your pet do reliable damage.

As I’ve pointed out in other threads, you can avoid the pets with minimal effort. Watch Xsorus videos, and how few the pets chasing him, hit him. Tell me why.

When I fight a Ranger, I throw a cripple, or an immobilize on the pet, and move any other time. I rarely, if ever get hit by a Ranger pet. On some of my classes, like my Guardian, I troll Rangers (with Hammer) by immobilizing the pet, knocking it back/down, and putting up a circle it can’t cross, and the AI is so stupid, half the time it won’t go around it. All the while I just heal the Rangers weak damage, until they leave.

More and more players are running anti-condition builds, limiting the effectiveness of CC, or completely negating it. Any good player can avoid the Rangers pet most of the time, and I’m not fine with that.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece

(edited by jkctmc.8754)

in Ranger

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

When our pets died like a player, we stucked in revieving it. It was pathetic…
If they plan to put it back, we’re screwd even more…

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

in Ranger

capuchinseven.8395

Forward evade into your target, hit F4 on evade then F2 if required, fire Quick Shot and then use evade again but this time backwards away from your target.

All damage is evaded on the two rolls and the Quick Shot, you roll through your target and then roll away from them behind, all pet conditions are removed, it appears right next to your target, it gains Quickness and will strike and hit instantly.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zeelle.9245

Zeelle.9245

Guys and gals, just look at the patch notes for WoW 5.2.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/8226552/Patch_52_PTR_and_Patch_Notes_-_February_25-2_25_2013

Take a look at how much they are changing for every class there. How old is WoW now? This is not what I want happening in GW2. It’s very annoying when classes keep changing drastically. Be patient and understand that it’s an iterative process.

Is it frustrating? Yes.
Is it hopeless? Only if you give up easily.

Actually that’s just a difference of opinion, because those notes look extremely fun to me and I’ve never played WoW in my life. So honestly I have no idea how they translate into affecting balance, but it looks to me like there is a fresh and ever changing metagame because of updates that keeps things from getting too stagnant or repetitive.
That to me seems extremely fun, and changes that drastic in GW2 would actually incite me to play the game more.
Guild Wars 1 actually had something to a similar effect on top of balance changes called the monthly “flux” http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Flux which had the potential to make the game fun by changing the metagame a bit every month.

This is just a difference of opinion though, I’m not saying you’re wrong in wanting less changes to be made.
I just personally feel like a game loses all replay value when it becomes a constant grind with predictable stat distributions (that’s a build versatility issue coupled with metagame stagnation), and in pvp a small map rotation. Then on top of that progression rewards in PvP are purely aesthetic and PvP rewards are currently separated from progress in other game modes, adding very little to the experience itself.

Regardless of what game genre I bring up, look at more successful games with larger and more sustained audiences. Call of Duty for example, why do so many people buy and play it? The feeling of meaningful and rewarding progression with multiple gametypes to choose from creates a high replay value. I would assume its similar in WoW.

There’s only so many times you can do the same thing over and over again without any aspect of it changing before either there is no more progression to be made, or the progression was never really intuitive or meaningful. Then boredom sets in and the audience starts to move on to the next best thing.

The people that continue to play are the people who never experience that feeling of boredom with that game. No issues, no complaints, its just a difference of perspective and is to be expected with any game.

I think the point that he was to make was that even tho WoW has been out for a long time, it still has balance issues. Indeed, if you head over to their forums, the QQing that goes on there with classes is far beyond what we see here.
and i can tell you that while gw1 flux was meant to give a fresh look on the pvp meta game, each balance update they did was not, while i haven’t been on there for a while, they still had problems with classes being over/under powered, and complaints about that was just as harsh as we see here. All he was saying was that things aren’t all gloom and doom and people need to chill out.

I play WoW atm as I’m waiting for Ranger to be fixed. They certainly have their balance issues,as any mmo does. It has it’s op classes,too. However, the Hunter in WoW is simply more fun to play than the Ranger in gw2 because the pet AI is far superior. Not surprising as it’s been out so long.

Warriors and Rogues are ridiculously op atm in WoW, as they are here in gw2. Whenever I check in to see what’s happening in gw2 I’m constantly amazed that warriors and thieves continue to be so op, and even get buffed. One poster said the devs are worried Rangers can become op, yet it hasn’t bothered them,or him, that warriors and thieves are ridiculous.

I’m also amazed that SB was ‘nerfed’, and that it hasn’t been fixed, yet there is talk of buffing GS. What’s the point of playing a Ranger, who’s supposed to be a master of ranged weapons, if their melee is stronger, and if warriors’ and thieves’ ranged abilities are better than the Rangers’? And you can bet that any buff the GS gets still won’t be a match for warrior or thief melee.

The way I see it,gw2 started out with great promise for better-balanced pvp,but clearly it’s no different to other mmos where devs have their favourite classes and end up ruining the game because of their prejudice. Just vote with your wallets. Hell, even Warhammer is balancing classes better now.

in Ranger

capuchinseven.8395

I’m sorry but the very suggestion that warriors are OP is just comical.

in Ranger

Posted by: Hillaan.6904

Hillaan.6904

“Getting bored of these posts. We’ve not been ignored, we’re being buffed and OTHER classes are getting attention, but not always good attention. Elemental distance covering is being looked at under a strong light and thieves being able to spend 90% of a fight in stealth is being nerfed.”

Get used to it then, because these posts will happen until the class gets truly fixed, whether you like or not.

Please name the buffs I must have missed them

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

longbow and greatsword buffs , look at utilities

in Ranger

Posted by: Hillaan.6904

Hillaan.6904

longbow and greatsword buffs , look at utilities

I have not played my ranger in week or 2 are these live? Because the last time I used them they still stunk.