Retired #1 Ranger sharing the build he used

in Ranger

Posted by: NaturalPortman.9562

NaturalPortman.9562

Based on your posts on the PvP boards I doubt you are as high up the ranks as you claim you are.

As for your build I don’t really like the look of it but I will probably try it out to see how it goes at some point before I make any comments on it.

Don’t worry its only good for dodging and holding points. It has near to no chance of killing anything.

I’ve beaten this build 1v1 with my ranger. I’ve watched D/D roll over it 1v1. Thief’s and Mesmers well you know the outcome.

And love it how you think your pets are you main damage. Let me tell you this at a professional level your pets are useless. Only classes it will hit are Necros/Guardians/Warriors, everyone else takes around 30% damage from the pet’s, there just to much cripple/cloak/chill/evade.

I recommend if your new a ranger finding build fits your play style. This build will not work in WvW, its strictly TPvP. Check out Bunker/Trapper builds they are better then this build.

Why are you lying to people? This build kills people easily. This build counters ele easily as well

Your the one lying here mate. This build might work less skilled players but doesn’t work against skilled players and that’s fact.

The player base is evolving these type of builds are done and dusted.

Lol whatever you say. Your loss.

(im a girl btw)

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Why use birds?Cat’s are the the best DPS pets.

Cats are best sustain, birds can provide support and burst, for his build he relies on bursting some poor kitten down not cutting it apart over a larger period of time.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: Banjal.7328

Banjal.7328

Why use birds?Cat’s are the the best DPS pets.

Cats are best sustain, birds can provide support and burst, for his build he relies on bursting some poor kitten down not cutting it apart over a larger period of time.

I have never seen any of my birds hit people for 7k,my Jaguar does all the time.He also stacks over 10 bleeds that tick for 63 unbuffed.

in Ranger

Posted by: Grizledorf.5290

Grizledorf.5290

thank you for showing me the awesome burst damage two ravens pulls off. my thief can’t beat it. only shame is I didn’t play Gw1 and the white raven is a hall of monument award. Using raven/eagle in pve, pretty awesome. Switched from Jaguar/bear. Can’t wait to hit 80 on this toon and hit WvW. One thing hoping you can answer is sometimes I click F2 for my Raven to swoop and it will put it on C/D but he won’t do the attack, I think it’s an animation canceling issue.

(edited by Grizledorf.5290)

in Ranger

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

condi bunker builds with cats are way stronger. condi synergizes with wilderness trait line and u simply do more damage. people dont really die to this kind of burst in tpvp. 10-15k from a BS thief, shatter mesmer or d/d ele, maybe. ranger power builds are super gimped, unless u run glass cannon LB in wvw, which is hella fun.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

thank you for showing me the awesome burst damage two ravens pulls off. my thief can’t beat it. only shame is I didn’t play Gw1 and the white raven is a hall of monument award. Using raven/eagle in pve, pretty awesome. Switched from Jaguar/bear. Can’t wait to hit 80 on this toon and hit WvW. One thing hoping you can answer is sometimes I click F2 for my Raven to swoop and it will put it on C/D but he won’t do the attack, I think it’s an animation canceling issue.

it is a animation cancel issue. You can remedy it by really paying attention to what your pet is doing

(im a girl btw)

in Ranger

Posted by: Leuca.5732

Leuca.5732

Based on your posts on the PvP boards I doubt you are as high up the ranks as you claim you are.

As for your build I don’t really like the look of it but I will probably try it out to see how it goes at some point before I make any comments on it.

Don’t worry its only good for dodging and holding points. It has near to no chance of killing anything.

I’ve beaten this build 1v1 with my ranger. I’ve watched D/D roll over it 1v1. Thief’s and Mesmers well you know the outcome.

And love it how you think your pets are you main damage. Let me tell you this at a professional level your pets are useless. Only classes it will hit are Necros/Guardians/Warriors, everyone else takes around 30% damage from the pet’s, there just to much cripple/cloak/chill/evade.

I recommend if your new a ranger finding build fits your play style. This build will not work in WvW, its strictly TPvP. Check out Bunker/Trapper builds they are better then this build.

Why are you lying to people? This build kills people easily. This build counters ele easily as well

Your the one lying here mate. This build might work less skilled players but doesn’t work against skilled players and that’s fact.

In a 1v1 a bunker ranger can kill most anything 1v1 given enough time bar tanky staff mesmers/pure bunker eles.

in Ranger

Leuca.5732

condi bunker builds with cats are way stronger. condi synergizes with wilderness trait line and u simply do more damage. people dont really die to this kind of burst in tpvp. 10-15k from a BS thief, shatter mesmer or d/d ele, maybe. ranger power builds are super gimped, unless u run glass cannon LB in wvw, which is hella fun.

The problem is that the weapons with the highest defense do extremely little condi damage. You are essentially sacrificing bunker abilities, which he is not trying to do.

in Ranger

Posted by: Battosai.5620

Battosai.5620

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMUQRAnf8YjEVJ25V+Vs2Bi2DNZeM9eke23eXhRVwkK;TwAg2CroAzAmAMLYOwkgtaYIw2j5HA

just leaving this here …
(runes and trap changes though depending on what you play against)

in Ranger

Posted by: Nero.4706

Nero.4706

hey you forgot the words ‘self-proclaimed’ in front of the #1.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fjandi.2516

Fjandi.2516

Omg guys what happened to the ranger forum? You guys used to be cool…looks like the thief forum now, everyone is maaad.

hey you forgot the words ‘self-proclaimed’ in front of the #1.

Gw2 is srs bznz isn’t it?

ranger power builds are super gimped

Didn’t notice that. Oh btw it’s not like a power build is necessarily glass cannon.
Condition builds are somewhat ok, still i can’t find a setup that completely satisfy me.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dried Donkey.8504

Dried Donkey.8504

(edited by Dried Donkey.8504)

in Ranger

Posted by: Mighty One.8716

Mighty One.8716

Your link isn’t working, can you post your traits? and maybe gear? thnx

in Ranger

Posted by: Fjandi.2516

Fjandi.2516

Copy/paste the link m8.

in Ranger

nerva.7940

The problem is that the weapons with the highest defense do extremely little condi damage. You are essentially sacrificing bunker abilities, which he is not trying to do.

if you know what youre doing, you dont need too many evades. the right build can get u near perma vigor.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian

in Ranger

Mighty One.8716

Copy/paste the link m8.

Isnt working for me, still says 0 to every trait. Can some1 say the trait points? and the I – II – III thingy pls :>

in Ranger

Posted by: Dante Dragonhand.2538

Dante Dragonhand.2538

It’s funny some ppl think bunker rangers can’t do much dmg.
Oh btw i don’t really understand why you posted the build here. I mean this way every kid and his dog can just copy it.
Lol i remember a few months ago bm tree was commonly considered bad, good times. I still like all the qq about 1h sword autoattack tho.

I love hearing about rangers having no burst, bad rangers will always be bad. And I thought I would share with the community because I quit ranger.

The great thing about ranger bunker is that you can kill someone 2v1 if you play exceptionally well. Another great thing is evade attacks don’t decap nodes.

edit: I promise you if you play this build right you will never lose a 1v1. And yes I had to 1v1 many times as a side point bunker whether or not you guys think 1v1ing is a bad idea in tournies it does happen occasionally.

Im glad your sharing, I was a pretty good necro for Team Tsunami and I’ve done all I can to give people tips and builds that are good as a necro. I’ve been playing the Ranger a week now and its in my opinion such a burly class, at times disgusting if pets are working consistently. The only potential things wrong with it from what I can tell is there are other classes that offer more vital things within Tpvp (better tanks, better bursters, team portal/quickness from mesmers, rezzes aoe/poison/condition necro pressure.(but I’m still going to find more niches for it, I think the build I’m making could have a place as a pressurer/roamer/secondary point helper/defender). Let me know what you think of these 2 builds and your thoughts from your ranger background (They are almost identical with slight mods, I’ve min maxed everything within a 30 second fight context to offer highest damage/survivability). I’m gonna give ravens a try now that I see their potential as strictly burst and not just pressure (since they miss more often than the ones I chose).

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMMQJATVjAV91RWCWsWCi2DNlJMxew/DxovAvgSWRUA;TsAA1CnoQygkAJLSOkkINC5EymAA

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMMQJATVjAV91RWCWsWCi2DNlpzzew/DxovAvgSWRUA;TsAA1CnoAzAmAMLYOwkgNC5EymAA

These aren’t too too bad but you will find yourself in some iffy situations OFTEN with this build. When you use your longbow you will feel overwhelmed because after you use your point blank shot you are basically free pickins.

Could you elaborate more? As I see it if I were to compare your builds with the success you had and mine, the weakness is the same “Burst”. If you don’t time a dodge on the important burst/team bursts your toast. Each build has about the same potential vigor/dodges (which seems to be enough to dodge key bursts), yours has more evades (which gives you more chances to evade damage, but the amount of deadly bursts I feel can be handled via dodge knowledge), but in either case if one misses a burst it will hurt, and as I see it, your build will get bursted down faster than the build I’m trying out due to more natural health, and the 50% protection and barkskin (the pets also give you more time via immobilizes and knockdowns/fears). I can see how yours can hold out longer due to more evades, but I’m not sure if thats the role this build needs to fill, since using fury weapon switching, pet combo’s and quickness can put pressure on anyone.

Longbow just isnt a great damage weapon, its VERY situational. You will find yourself in alot of sticky situation when you have longbow out and waiting on the weapon cooldown.

Everyone says that and how you can dodge its #2, but you can dodge as it starts or in the middle, but it still will do 2-3K damage on you, and makes you waste a dodge, the knockback is great, you can utilize a dodge during this point to get vigor and protection and buy time, gives you more than enough time within the weapon switch. Plus the on demand 10% vulnerability is always a starter and great, also very often overlook is F2 to aoe cripple high damage (takes 1 sec to cast) and sometimes just eating a shot or two while protection is up yields some decent damage/forces them to retreat/dodge roll, setting them up for more later burst.

I’ll have to make a vid soon as I get on another tpvp team, longbow has been stereo-typed and the sheep are believing and not using…..

Never said longbow is bad, i used to use longbow too. But I fell in love with greatswords mobility and defence

Longbow is bad, atleast in pvp. Sure rapid fire and barrage can spread pain like a boss but thats if they dont get dodged or interupted. #1 skill sucks, #3 is kinda crap, it really needs some work.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sol.4310

Sol.4310

In a 1v1 a bunker ranger can kill most anything 1v1 given enough time bar tanky staff mesmers/pure bunker eles.

Keep telling yourself that………..

Saizo Sol – Ranger
Twitch – Aussie Streamer

in Ranger

Posted by: Casey.9687

Casey.9687

I agree wholeheartedly with you Sol, this build is pretty much useless anywhere but Tpvp and even in Tpvp its only for 1v1s. Anyone who thinks this is a good build hasn’t fought a really good mesmer, thief, or guardian who actually know what they are doing. This guy has been spamming the forums trying to get everyone to believe pets are ok….they are completely worthless if you play against someone who knows to kite them. Yes I will admit my trapper build lost to this build but my trapper isn’t built pure bunker like this one but when I go 2v2 trapper helps alot more then this single target damage build.

in Ranger

Posted by: HPLT.7132

HPLT.7132

This is a decent bunker build. However, as always, optimisation is possible but this also depends on your personal playstyle. Its a 1vs1 build but in skilled hands you can also defend the node against 2 people for some time.
It is meant to be a bunker build and its probably the bunker build with the highest damage output comparing all classes.
From my personal experience I can say the only thing which is not capabable to defeat is 1vs1 is a ranger with the exact same build (endless fight incoming).

in Ranger

Leuca.5732

I guess it’s because I run something with a little more oomph on my character and not quite as much healing as I run a Valkyrie Amulet instead of Cleric.

in Ranger

Mighty One.8716

Post traits pls, i cant open the link.

in Ranger

Leuca.5732

if you know what youre doing, you dont need too many evades. the right build can get u near perma vigor.

If you are a bunker, you want as many evades as possible; the fact that you can get decent vigor and moderate weapon evasion on a condi build was not the point.

in Ranger

Posted by: Agadar.4931

Agadar.4931

I’m not entirely sure whether the OP is joking around but failing at being funny, or whether he genuinely believes he’s a top level player.

in Ranger

Posted by: Jay.3284

Jay.3284

Healing Spring + Greatsword when you already have the evasive weapons of Sword/Dagger? And you think you’re a top level ranger?

I always figured you as a troll

Dungeon Master 8/8 | Fractal 50
80Rng – 80Wa – 80Thief – 80Grd – 80Ele – 80Engi – 80Necro

in Ranger

Posted by: Battosai.5620

Battosai.5620

Healing Spring + Greatsword when you already have the evasive weapons of Sword/Dagger? And you think you’re a top level ranger?

I always figured you as a troll

kittens actually broken as swoop sometimes counts as a double leap finisher – so yeah 15 sec duration, 2 leap finishers both affected by the sword trait. one on 6 one on 9 second cd. go figure.
still this build isn’t the strongest 1v1 build around nor ist it the best hybrid nor is it the best bunker build.

in Ranger

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

Loving the # 1 self-declared Ranger. Slight problem though. You’ve traited into condition damage yet are putting that 300 extra damage points do waste. Using a shaman amulet would be a much better build especially against more than 1 target. I enjoyed the laugh though. Double raven is also not a great idea as the white raven has lower stats.

in Ranger

Posted by: Victory.2879

Victory.2879

Might be of some use in Tpvp as a bunker/holder/general annoyance in standing on one spot.

In wvw you sometimes meet people running similar builds which means more badges for me, so keep running them. Healing spring is a wonderful heal if others are healing too and you can manage to stand in the same spot in wvw fights- but as soon as the fight moves or people are pushed out of it (doesn’t take long for people to counter it) it’s pretty useless and a long cooldown.

If people are thinking of running this in wvw, please do, as long as you’re not on my servers, and I’ll thank you for the badges later:-)

Victory, Beings Lost On Borderlands (BLOB), SFR & Gandara (inactive)

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Idk why so many people are saying this build wouldn’t work anywhere other than tPvP… it’s apparent they don’t know how much burst a raven has, that’s for sure…

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: Cempa.5619

Cempa.5619

@Sol: What build you using now? Still Jungle Spider+Dog SB?

in Ranger

Posted by: Victory.2879

Victory.2879

Durz, raven has to reach the target- which it tends not to in a group situation (or the target just moves out of range) and the raven merrily flies straight through all the aoe and burst, etc. Works quite nicely 1v1 or very small fights unless you fight an ele or other aoe class in which case the pet is dead before you can say ‘boo!’.

Victory, Beings Lost On Borderlands (BLOB), SFR & Gandara (inactive)

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

Durz, raven has to reach the target- which it tends not to in a group situation (or the target just moves out of range) and the raven merrily flies straight through all the aoe and burst, etc. Works quite nicely 1v1 or very small fights unless you fight an ele or other aoe class in which case the pet is dead before you can say ‘boo!’.

Ever notice that pet swap puts your pet into range?

(im a girl btw)

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

Ask Vain, he knows just how irritating it is to fight this build.

Oh and I know 1v1 doesn’t mean much but honestly, the only class that can beat/kill this build is a mesmer. And before you trash talk the build again, please actually try to get good with the build before you make any judgements on it. To play this build well you have to think of your character as a support for your pet, as in cripple the enemy etc. Oh and have fun “dodging” the raven 13k burst when I watch your dodges while you are crippled. And have fun killing me when I can use 4 leap finishers on healing spring, while I have 3 evades at my disposal oh and dont forget the 4 (almost consecutive) dodges with vigor.

Anyways, this is why no one plays this kitten game the community is full of unthankful little twinks like you guys (not all of you). Always complaining about how theres only 1 viable build for every class yet you don’t even give other builds a go.

With that said, this build is a great point holding build that specializes in 1v1s and 2v1s. (Build is also very good at rotating between points as it has the hoghest mobility out of all ranger specs). It’s effectiveness is a tad lowered in team fights yes I realise but it is still great at picking off classes such as thieves, necros, warriors for your teammates. Not to mention you can heal condis and grant regen / vigor for your team. Also don’t forget that you still have your elite (which i suggest spirit or entangle). Entangle can win team fights and spirit of nature can give you clutch rezzes giving your team another chance to win that team fight. Now stop being negative nancies, if you don’t like the build don’t play it. I just know I’ve had incredible success with it.

(im a girl btw)

in Ranger

nerva.7940

If you are a bunker, you want as many evades as possible; the fact that you can get decent vigor and moderate weapon evasion on a condi build was not the point.

nope, the point was u get vastly superior damage. not only do u have the staying power, but u can actually take people down. this has allowed me to turn many 2v1’s into 1v1’s. 0/0/30/10/30 is one of the best duelists in the game, and i never felt the need to switch to evasion weapons. u laugh at burst thieves, while easily handling d/p, in addition to trap rangers and d/d eles. ive also yet to die 1v1 to a shatterer.

And before you trash talk the build again, please actually try to get good with the build before you make any judgements on it.

i like the build for the record. i just find bleed stacking + cats to do more reliable damage. leap finishers on HS is indeed awesome.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian

(edited by nerva.7940)

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

nope, the point was u get vastly superior damage. not only do u have the staying power, but u can actually take people down. this has allowed me to turn many 2v1’s into 1v1’s. 0/0/30/10/30 is one of the best duelists in the game, and i never felt the need to switch to evasion weapons. u laugh at burst thieves, while easily handling d/p, in addition to trap rangers and d/d eles. ive also yet to die 1v1 to a shatterer.

I dont know why this turned into a build wars thread but okay. And ever thought that maybe some people don’t want to play the FOTM condi and or traps.

(im a girl btw)

in Ranger

Leuca.5732

I dont know why this turned into a build wars thread but okay. And ever thought that maybe some people don’t want to play the FOTM condi and or traps.

I hate running condi builds, so I can attest to that.

in Ranger

Posted by: Varani.9207

Varani.9207

I thought that I´d be the only one who´s going for the 10 points into skirmishing for the extra pet crit damage. Though I went for condition damage (Shaman´s Amulet). Plus I´m using felines as pets, different weapons and runes too. Definitely a strong build – not only for tPvP. The major trait VI Nature´s Protection in Nature Magic gives you extra defense against glasscannons. I rarely if ever lose 1vs1.

Mondsucht [MS] Kodash Vragni – Ranger
Charrov – Engineer

in Ranger

Posted by: StugLyfe.2134

StugLyfe.2134

You numba10 GI. What erogance lol

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

How do you deal with mesmers? I have a mesmer of my own, and find that the hardest counter to shattercat mesmers is to kite the living hell out of them, dodge the Magic Bullet, and deny them iLeap>Swap. Their damage from range is bad and their iLeap has miserable range, so they can’t close distance.

But this ranger builds puts you in a shatter mesmer’s preferred range of combat, of which they are extremely strong in. 1800 toughness on my ranger and a shatter can still halve my health. So, I’m curious as to how you are coping with good mesmers that run sword/pistol+staff to sit you still and land shatters.

I’m also curious as to why you run double raven instead of raven+ wolf? It seems like the wolf fear is pretty kitten strong for controlling groups of people and preventing stomps. Is the extra burst from a second raven really that much better?

Finally, do you find this build usable in PvE gear for WvW? I know it’s garbage for large scale combat, but what gear, runes, rings, amulets would you use in a skirmish WvW build?

P.S. I know I’m making many questions, but I like the idea of greatsword/mainhand sword very much so, and would like to know if you have any tips against CC oriented engineers as well.

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

How do you deal with mesmers? I have a mesmer of my own, and find that the hardest counter to shattercat mesmers is to kite the living hell out of them, dodge the Magic Bullet, and deny them iLeap>Swap. Their damage from range is bad and their iLeap has miserable range, so they can’t close distance.

But this ranger builds puts you in a shatter mesmer’s preferred range of combat, of which they are extremely strong in. 1800 toughness on my ranger and a shatter can still halve my health. So, I’m curious as to how you are coping with good mesmers that run sword/pistol+staff to sit you still and land shatters.

I’m also curious as to why you run double raven instead of raven+ wolf? It seems like the wolf fear is pretty kitten strong for controlling groups of people and preventing stomps. Is the extra burst from a second raven really that much better?

Finally, do you find this build usable in PvE gear for WvW? I know it’s garbage for large scale combat, but what gear, runes, rings, amulets would you use in a skirmish WvW build?

P.S. I know I’m making many questions, but I like the idea of greatsword/mainhand sword very much so, and would like to know if you have any tips against CC oriented engineers as well.

Mesmer is the toughest match up with this build, you really need to be patient and not be trigger happy with your evades. Take the damage you need to take but always make sure you evade the pistol daze or have a stun breaker on hand. If you do end up getting immobed into blurred frenzy / shatter, use the serpent strike. Your whole objective in the fight is to keep on the mesmer and snare him down for your pet and when you do find the perfect opportunity, your raven burst should take him down instantly. It is a tough match though.

(im a girl btw)

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

For CC oriented engineer I would try to stay out of range until he blew his main CC’s then get in range with your evades and go for the burst.

(im a girl btw)

in Ranger

Posted by: dzeRnumbrd.6129

dzeRnumbrd.6129

I am very widely known as the number 1 ranger in places such as NA, AUS , CH , kitten and recently AFRICA.

So famous we’ve never heard of you

in Ranger

Posted by: Fella Feller.4936

Fella Feller.4936

Thanks for posting this – been fooling about with a few pet damage based defensive builds, and looking for a way to make greatsword work as its always been one of my favoret weapon sets.

Only given it a quick try but this seems like a great build, thanks!

After a few duels the main problem seems to be if people focus down your pets, the white raven especially is very fragile. How do you deal with that?

The Tally family of Desolation-
Victor(Ranger), Astral(Ele), Martial(Warrior), Erroneous(Mes), Ticker(Engi), Ravin(Thief)
with special guests Hematophagia(Necro) and Grace Burns(Guardian)