Shortbow in WvW after the patch

in Ranger

Posted by: Mardermann.7468

Mardermann.7468

Is it just me or is the “fun” (as far as it has been fun using the shortbow anyways) now completely gone in WvW?

I tried to use it – but man… you cant chase anyone down any longer with it… and for my condi build Longbow just isnt the weapon any more…

what about beeing the best Ranged class? I cant see it…

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Maybe you should find access to swiftness so you can close a gap? Hmm…if only there was a trait…

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in Ranger

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Maybe you should find access to swiftness so you can close a gap? Hmm…if only there was a trait…

Yeah, cause rangers are the only class with access to swiftness, man that boon is so hard to get. I don’t see everyone in WvW with swiftness + some other form of IMS such as Ride the Lightning.

in Ranger

Posted by: Pedra.4381

Pedra.4381

Are you suggesting swiftness alone, Chopps? It certainly seems that way.

Forum decorum prevents me from replying to this in the manner it so richly deserves.

JonPeters.5630:]I do still believe ranger is the profession in most need of improvement…

in Ranger

Posted by: Valin.4527

Valin.4527

Yeah, cause rangers are the only class with access to swiftness, man that boon is so hard to get. I don’t see everyone in WvW with swiftness + some other form of IMS such as Ride the Lightning.

^This

-A man of many Valins [KONG]

in Ranger

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

We never were the best ranged class (warrior or thief have that honour), and now we’re even further away.

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

I was chasing people down all month (may) using rune of speed! I play 2-4 hours of wvw every day on Jade Quarry. Don’t tell me I don’t know that zergs stop and blast powerful fields just for the swiftness. Zergs snail tail all the time because of slow pokes. Not everyone is running a 25% speed signet or swiftness yet OP writes, and I quote, “I can’t chase ANYONE down anymore”. You are so wrong I’m almost at a loss of words. I think you guys are just haters. You must like to bellyache.

(edited by Chopps.5047)

in Ranger

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I was chasing people down all month (may) using rune of speed! I play 2-4 hours of wvw every day on Jade Quarry. Don’t tell me I don’t know that zergs stop and blast powerful fields just for the swiftness. Zergs snail tail all the time because of slow pokes. Not everyone is running a 25% speed signet or swiftness yet OP writes, and I quote, “I can’t chase ANYONE down anymore”. You are so wrong I’m almost at a loss of words. I think you guys are just haters. You must like to bellyache.

They play rangers. They are masochists.

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

So you pat yourself on the back for killing terrible players who can’t keep up with the zerg? Interesting…

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

Posted by: Daze.6914

Daze.6914

They play rangers. They are masochists.

Yeah that’s a bit part of being a ranger, those who aren’t rerolled ages ago.
Anyway I’ve just salvaged my two sb, I will get a sword and a torch. At least I will be able to provide more fire combo field to my group in wvw.

War Inc. Community [WIC]
Far Shiverpeaks
GW2 WvW - GW2 Gem Price

in Ranger

Posted by: Reisinger.4203

Reisinger.4203

The only reason I rolled a ranger was because shortbow ranger was the most fluid playstyle for me (out of Guardian, Warrior, Elementalist, Thief, and Engineer). And now it’s 900 range? Are you kidding me? That’s the reason why I quit thief months ago, because they have a sad excuse for a range weapon. I browsed thief threads awhile ago, and all of them complain about the poor SB range. Most disappointing patch from Anet for me…

GW2 PvP League Season 3 Tribute: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeKVJ1krPmU

in Ranger

Pedra.4381

So you pat yourself on the back for killing terrible players who can’t keep up with the zerg? Interesting…

He always looks for that inkling of a silver lining. That glimpse of a silk purse hidden in the sow’s ear.

And then expands it to infinity.

JonPeters.5630:]I do still believe ranger is the profession in most need of improvement…

in Ranger

Posted by: Jamoke.1523

Jamoke.1523

why the hell would u nerf shortbow….and ppl say you use swiftness to close cap???half of the time im trying not to get freaking close cause im a gokitten ranger..

in Ranger

Posted by: Jamoke.1523

Jamoke.1523

LOL yes just keep nerfing the ranger class till no one plays it anymore…already insignificant as hell in wvw.

in Ranger

Posted by: WingzofIsis.4809

WingzofIsis.4809

Don’t forget SB skill 3 still doesn’t work properly.

in Ranger

Posted by: Boomstin.3460

Boomstin.3460

Hey Jon. If you still roam ranger boards for giggles when you manage to break ranger more with each patch why not be a good sport a do a rollback on the ‘animation fix’ with the shortbow.
Thanks.

All is vain.

in Ranger

Mardermann.7468

the devs definitly dont give a kitten about what we write here…

AI is still kitten
and every patch we get kittened.
So this time I shelf my ranger for sure.. gonna play thief
not spending another dime in the BLTC
waiting for the next “best” MMO ^^

in Ranger

Posted by: Adian.8756

Adian.8756

Oh no? You can’t autoattack with Shortbow anymore, from freaking miles away, while applying 14+ stacks of Bleed? God forbid you actually have to use skills to play.

Ranger Shortbow was by far the most forgiving, braindead, easy-mode way to play in all of GW2. Thank god they changed the range.

Lyann Vail | 80 Mesmer
Aurora Glade [EU] | Leader of ‘The New Reality [NR]’
WvW Beast!

in Ranger

Posted by: Boomstin.3460

Boomstin.3460

Oh no? You can’t autoattack with Shortbow anymore, from freaking miles away, while applying 14+ stacks of Bleed? God forbid you actually have to use skills to play.

Ranger Shortbow was by far the most forgiving, braindead, easy-mode way to play in all of GW2. Thank god they changed the range.

Don’t worry , I will help you out. Mesmer forum is that way →

All is vain.

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

If you have skills, then you are using a different class to do whatever you are doing on your ranger.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

Mardermann.7468

I enjoyed a play style.
I invested ingame money and a bit real money in it.
They destroyed my fun with it.
Maybe I am not “as pro” as you are – but I am entitled to my fun.
You sir are frankly no one whose opinion I am interested in.
Good bye

in Ranger

Adian.8756

I enjoyed a play style.
I invested ingame money and a bit real money in it.
They destroyed my fun with it.
Maybe I am not “as pro” as you are – but I am entitled to my fun.
You sir are frankly no one whose opinion I am interested in.
Good bye

Reducing the range by 300 destroyed your fun? If you enjoy spamming 1 from miles away, pick the Longbow. The Shortbows risk/reward-ratio was simply too high. It’s reduced now, which was needed. (Low risk, High reward – to those who didn’t get that).

#Boomstin
Unfortunately, Mesmers are crying as well. Seems to be a general trend around here, every time something OP gets fixed.

Lyann Vail | 80 Mesmer
WvW Beast!

in Ranger

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Rangers do not stack that much bleed. “Bleed your target if you hit them from behind or from the side.” this is why!!!! Even every NPC in the game pivot’s to face a Ranger as the pet goes behind. Thus, short bow auto attack cannot bleed anything unless it runs away from you. Short bow #4 is a pathetically low powered bleed.

Short bow range being 900 is complete and utter crap

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Ranger

Adian.8756

Rangers do not stack that much bleed. “Bleed your target if you hit them from behind or from the side.” this is why!!!! Even every NPC in the game pivot’s to face a Ranger as the pet goes behind. Thus, short bow auto attack cannot bleed anything unless it runs away from you. Short bow #4 is a pathetically low powered bleed.

Oh really? Reality begs to differ;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceXrxaU-V08

Lyann Vail | 80 Mesmer
WvW Beast!

in Ranger

Pedra.4381

You are absolutely correct. Reality does beg to differ. Do you consider standing in the Mists and shooting a stationary golem in the back reality?

Edit: Oh nevermind, I understand now. You’re a proponent of some sort of “New Reality”. I get it.

in Ranger

Posted by: SafiMoyo.5130

SafiMoyo.5130

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceXrxaU-V08

:/ I thought your video was going to prove DeWolfe’s statement wrong. It did not do that at all. You missed his/her point entirely. Please reread their post beyond just the first sentence.

Champion Hunter

in Ranger

Posted by: Ozymandias.5704

Ozymandias.5704

I just don’t understand why they had to nerf the SB.

It steam engines when it comes steam engine time.
- Charles Fort

in Ranger

Posted by: Crimson Magdelana.9024

Crimson Magdelana.9024

I just wish I could un-soulbind all of the amazing gear I grinded for, just to try and make the best out of my Ranger since release. Commander tag included. I’m not even talking about the runes, the armors, the plethora of weapons and sigils. Just the Ascended accessories and the 100g+ backpiece I crafted. All those Guild comms, fractal rings, and infusions…totally wasted.

I’ve tried to be patient, and as resilient as possible with every patch….hoping that something would get better on my favorite class for over 8 years. But no. Now my Ranger is a 9+ month old time/money sink.

Necro here I come. :\

You call it afk. I call it getting a beer.

(edited by Crimson Magdelana.9024)

in Ranger

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

Congratulations, you can kill kittenty players! Ranger is totally viable then!

in Ranger

Posted by: Reisinger.4203

Reisinger.4203

HAH! The YouTube video link was funny, mainly because you tried to use it as an argument for the short bow nerf. Rangers stack 6-7 bleeds max in PvE, and if you’re fighting a real person, they just face you and you can’t bleed them anymore.

GW2 PvP League Season 3 Tribute: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeKVJ1krPmU

in Ranger

Posted by: hyjaxxx.1584

hyjaxxx.1584

ok..i know this is going to come across as a trololol…but you folks that were condition using SB…switch to an A/T + S/D build and have some fun.

I love my ranger and will never main another class…and i would say ive yet to be beaten in a heads up 1v1. and always last till the end in 5-10 man skirmishes …so dig your heels in and have some fun!

if your stuck on using a bow…maybe we can add a couple more strings to it and make it a harp..then you can roam the borderlands strummin your sad tune 8(

Whoajaxx the Ranger
Re-Port331,331R,DD331,Re-portV
Currently looking for wvw guild@henge

in Ranger

Posted by: Tuluum.9638

Tuluum.9638

I assume they nerfed SB to make LB more “viable.” Is this logical? It depends on what version of “reality” you subscribe to, I suppose.

As for ranger SB being “OP”… I truly dont know what to say to that.

What it looks like to me is that Anet has balanced each class internally with little to no consideration for what they are doing to other classes. Meaning, if the ranger was the only class in the game, it would indeed make LB more viable. As far as I know though, there actually are other classes in the game :P It makes me wonder if they had different teams working on each class, with limited communication between them.

I guess it does bring it in line with thief SB, but I feel those weapon skills are superior to ranger to begin with. Even with the extra range, I still felt thief SB was stronger.

Im not a fan of how they are making balance changes. It seems like to bring a single build “back in line,” they nerf the entire class. And that goes for every class in the game.

That said, adapt or die truly is the name of the game with an MMO. I have been playing an axe/axe build that I have ended up enjoying quite a bit. Overall, I enjoyed the SB paired with the GS a GREAT amount though, so I cant say I enjoy it as much.

In the end, I have found myself playing other games more recently. It isnt entirely due to this patch, but the patch certainly doesnt help.

Henosis [ONE]
06-04-13
NEVER FORGET

(edited by Tuluum.9638)

in Ranger

Adian.8756

You are absolutely correct. Reality does beg to differ. Do you consider standing in the Mists and shooting a stationary golem in the back reality?

Edit: Oh nevermind, I understand now. You’re a proponent of some sort of "New Reality". I get it.

While it’s not my video, it does prove that Rangers can apply 14 stacks of bleed by simply autoattacking. That is a fact, and the video proves it. While it’s not always the case with a moving enemy, it still doesn’t change the fact that the Shortbows risk/reward-ratio is the most skewed of any weaponset in the game. Since the Shortbow will also apply poison, cripple, swiftness and evasion, it doesn’t take 5 braincells to spam every skill off CD, and simply walk backwards. And we’re talking 1v1s here. In a larger fight, just target anyone who’s not facing you, and autoattack away.

Also, I’m not sure what my guildname has to do with anything. Way to prove your ignorance!

#SafiMoyo
Read the OP. The entire thread revolved around running away (and chasing), in which case your back would be turned to the ranger.

#Reisinger
You can stack just as much bleed in PvE.

I know I’m speaking for deaf ears, as any GW2 player seems to be incredibly offended every time their precious OP class gets nerfed to par. I’m aware that most people want high rewards for minimal effort (as seen everywhere on these forums), but unfortunately, I can’t support that view. Besides, the nerf was fairly small. The only major difference now, is that other ranged classes can fight back from the same range (ie. Engi, Warrior, Thief). Oh the horror.

Lyann Vail | 80 Mesmer
WvW Beast!

in Ranger

WingzofIsis.4809

Edit: Oh nevermind, I understand now. You’re a proponent of some sort of “New Reality”. I get it.

While it’s not my video, it does prove that Rangers can apply 14 stacks of bleed by simply autoattacking. That is a fact, and the video proves it. While it’s not always the case with a moving enemy, it still doesn’t change the fact that the Shortbows risk/reward-ratio is the most skewed of any weaponset in the game. Since the Shortbow will also apply poison, cripple, swiftness and evasion, it doesn’t take 5 braincells to spam every skill off CD, and simply walk backwards. And we’re talking 1v1s here. In a larger fight, just target anyone who’s not facing you, and autoattack away.

Also, I’m not sure what my guildname has to do with anything. Way to prove your ignorance!

#SafiMoyo
Read the OP. The entire thread revolved around running away (and chasing), in which case your back would be turned to the ranger.

#Reisinger
You can stack just as much bleed in PvE.

I know I’m speaking for deaf ears, as any GW2 player seems to be incredibly offended every time their precious OP class gets nerfed to par. I’m aware that most people want high rewards for minimal effort (as seen everywhere on these forums), but unfortunately, I can’t support that view. Besides, the nerf was fairly small. The only major difference now, is that other ranged classes can fight back from the same range (ie. Engi, Warrior, Thief). Oh the horror.

Do you even play a Ranger? If someone is running away it’s not our fault his back is towards us. Also range is a Ranger’s best asset like a Warrior’s strength and high health or a Thief’s stealth. The SB’s range was just compensating for that.

in Ranger

Posted by: Tuluum.9638

Tuluum.9638

Since the Shortbow will also apply poison, cripple, swiftness and evasion, it doesn’t take 5 braincells to spam every skill off CD, and simply walk backwards.

On the flip side, it doesnt take 5 braincells to counter that “strategy”…

Henosis [ONE]
06-04-13
NEVER FORGET

in Ranger

Posted by: Miiro.3124

Miiro.3124

you cant stack the bleeds simply if the other player has a brain. you have to flank the enemy.

I wonder if you have every played a ranger. To call them OP is pretty much an overstatement and almost anyone can agree with that.

are they useable? yes.
I dont think that made them OP and if you are RUNNING from a ranger in the first place you deserve to die to bleeds ya baddie. Troll more on your mesmer forums but you are prolly taking a break from your tear circle.

[SAV] Miiro 80 Ranger
Jade Quarry Champion Hunter
Solo/Small man WvW

in Ranger

Posted by: Miiro.3124

Miiro.3124

condi thief can stack far more bleeds WITHOUT flanking so your arguement is even more invalid. Do you go on their forums and say the same thing? I doubt it, you just want to stir the pot

[SAV] Miiro 80 Ranger
Jade Quarry Champion Hunter
Solo/Small man WvW

in Ranger

Posted by: Setun.4368

Setun.4368

Does noone that’s complaining about the 900 shortbow range swap weapons? If you’re truly having trouble closing the distance, switch to a weapon backup set that gives you mobility via swoop on the greatsword or sword #2’s combo. I’ve been using GS / axe&axe and have never had trouble keeping someone within the 900 range aside from a good thief / mesmer juke.

in Ranger

Posted by: killimandros.5087

killimandros.5087

[/quote] The only major difference now, is that other ranged classes can fight back from the same range (ie. Engi, Warrior, Thief). Oh the horror.[/quote]

I am a bit puzzled now. But, I like the idea. Now Anet this guy clearly tells you next step is giving rangers same melee abilities/utilities as Warrior, thief, engi. Or wait, maybe even par to mesmer!?

in Ranger

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I’m going to try and be nice and civil about this…. deep breathe

A Rifle Warriors auto attack bleeds from any direction, at 1200 range.
An Engi with Grenades can bleed from any direction, at 1500 range.

A Thief, who cares about range on a Thief???
Anyway, on a Thieves Pistol can bleed from any direction at 900 Range.

A Ranger Short Bow though, that can only bleed from behind or sides at 900 range. And, that video is absolutely laughable. Go to Orr and strafe any Risen. Go to WvW and Strafe any NPC. Then you will see they pivot like a top to always face you.

Stop watching Jon Sharps SotG, it’s obviously killing some of your brain cells. And, I really hope his hands are kept away from any further “balancing” in the future. He’s obviously highly biased to Thieves and melee. Contrary to the fact that human’s figured out range is the superior form of combat over 400,000 years ago!

Grrr…..

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Ranger

Pedra.4381

Adian, we are in agreement that a great deal of ignorance has been demonstrated in this thread.

in Ranger

Posted by: jdmThor.3806

jdmThor.3806

sigh. the heck is anet thinking.

in Ranger

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

ok..i know this is going to come across as a trololol…but you folks that were condition using SB…switch to an A/T + S/D build and have some fun.

I love my ranger and will never main another class…and i would say ive yet to be beaten in a heads up 1v1. and always last till the end in 5-10 man skirmishes …so dig your heels in and have some fun!

if your stuck on using a bow…maybe we can add a couple more strings to it and make it a harp..then you can roam the borderlands strummin your sad tune 8(

But, but, but then they’d have to weapon swap or -gasp- use a melee weapon to engage and their shortbow to chase. They might actually have to move!

Come on man. Ranger forum users can’t be bothered to do that.

The better ones are too busy discussing the finer art of using shortbow/longbow on swap and how to rez faster in the middle of combat.

To suggest anything more is to be a pr0 troll, apparently.

/shrug

in Ranger

Posted by: Cempa.5619

Cempa.5619

You forget the part of OBSTRUCTED or completely missing the target.

in Ranger

Adian.8756

Adian, we are in agreement that a great deal of ignorance has been demonstrated in this thread.

That we are. Agreeing with the change apparently makes me the worst person on earth. It’s funny how defensive people can get about something this minor.

Lyann Vail | 80 Mesmer
WvW Beast!

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

Wvw was too laggy last night as the fight my guild was working on revolved around skill lag and garrison

in Ranger

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

That we are. Agreeing with the change apparently makes me the worst person on earth. It’s funny how defensive people can get about something this minor.

Now, now, don’t be silly. Unless you also commit genocide, or are a serial killer in your spare time, I don’t think you really come close to worst person on earth.

It just means you’re a really bad ranger and don’t understand the class. Hardly something you should be executed or even thrown in jail for. If you keep trying hard enough you’ll learn, eventually.

Facetiousness aside, the shortbow nerf was devastating and yes, if you can’t see why you are a bad ranger. It was our premier ranged weapon for a reason. It was a 1200 ranged weapon that didn’t hit like wet noodles and had half-decent defense. Yes, everyone and their mother used it, but the problem was never that shortbow was “broken op!”, but instead it was our only ranged weapon without serious issues.

The current options are all varying degrees of bad. Axes are absolute junk as power weapons and lack defensive options even as condition weapons, and are just 900 range as well. Longbow is a power weapon that has horrid defense and only hits for anything noticeable at near max range (with no real tools to keep you there), and is trashtastic as a condition weapon. And… Nothing. That’s it. That’s all we have.

So basically our only “good” option got nerfed without any reason or compensation. Especially in WvW that 1200 range is so very important.

If Shortbow is to remain 900 range, which I can see as an option, then it needs its damage buffed up. Significantly. Not 14% on 3 utility skills that do no kittening damage anyways. And Longbow needs to be buffed to be a decent 1200 (or get baseline 1500) range weapon, so we actually have decent long range options.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

or just make the longbow a condition weapon as well tee hee hee

in Ranger

Posted by: awge.3852

awge.3852

I can only interpret ANet’s move with the shortbow like this: A dev wakes up one morning and screams: let’s buff longbow by making short bow less appealing to use at range. Number of steps into thought process: two.

1. Buff to longbow … yay.
2. Reduce range on short bow, but give it an attack buff… yay.
3. Get coffee… yay.
4. Bagels… yay.

They could have simply done the changes to longbow and kept the short bow the way it was. As far as I understand it, short bow is the only stable ranged weapon that we as rangers possess. Now, the real reason behind nerfing short bow’s range is intriguing. Did they stress test enough in PvE, PvP and WvW that they determined that a change was needed? Is this truly a fair change for rangers? Why can’t short bows have a projectile fall off effect like longbow does? That could easily compensate for loss of range, by making the projectile slower at over 900 range… or whatever range is deemed to be at fall off.

Mon Fils — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Blackgate
Ranger’s guide to PvP/WvW: http://tinyurl.com/oht3e9z

in Ranger

WingzofIsis.4809

1. CETheLucid.3964

It’s not that I don’t switch weapons in WVW, it’s that I can’t compete with classes that can have near perma swiftness (unless traited now).