Should solar beam cause burn?

in Ranger

Posted by: neville.3420

neville.3420

The name of the skill is “Solar Beam” so it kind of implies a burn. Maybe a short 1-2s burn per hit?

It would also be decent synergy for condi builds (apothecary or shaman) while also allowing the druid to be a healer.

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Yup, been suggesting this since the reveal. I’d make it a 180 AoE burn for 2s on 3rd pulse.

in Ranger

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

I think it would be cool if Solar Beam was a unique auto-attack with a charging mechanic where after some amount of hits it flipped into a new stronger attack.

That said, burning on it would definitely be nice, and help staff synergize with condition builds, while doing hardly any extra damage on power builds, since burns only do like 150 base damage now

Ranger//Necro

in Ranger

Posted by: ProtoMarcus.7649

ProtoMarcus.7649

^ What Heimskarl said.

If they deem burning too powerful on a continuous pulsing skill, they could always add conditions/criterias;

• Target must be Dazed or
  • Target must be within 600 range or
  • Target must be under the effect of a boon or anything really

in Ranger

Posted by: ProtoMarcus.7649

ProtoMarcus.7649

I think it would be cool if Solar Beam was a unique auto-attack with a charging mechanic where after some amount of hits it flipped into a new stronger attack.

Ohh, like a unique chain-skill

• 1st chain is the current 3 pulse phase
  • 2nd is a slightly stronger 3 pulse phase (more heal, more dmg)
  • 3rd is a shot that burns anything in the beam and a small AoE radius and maybe blind any foes that cross the beam while facing you.

Would take about 3-4 seconds to get to the 3rd phase

in Ranger

Posted by: Aridia.3042

Aridia.3042

It should blind from the front and burn from the side/back on the 3rd pulse.

in Ranger

Posted by: Oh My God.8423

Oh My God.8423

Make it only trigger a condition (or two) IF you heal someone with it.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

Adding burning to Solar Beam would be a great addition as I’ve said a few times now.

This is especially useful now that healing power will be stronger with druid. It is far easier to make a condi/support hybrid build than power as condition damage only needs a single stat to be optimal as opposed to three.

Burn on Solar Beam and bleed stacks on Vine Surge would be just enough to make staff synergize well with a settler build and allow the staff to make use of the condi damage on the celestial amulet.

Also any way to make Solar Beam and Sun Spirit a strong combination is a good idea in my book. I wanna make a solar powered burn druid.

(edited by Ehecatl.9172)

in Ranger

Posted by: Loyo.8526

Loyo.8526

Well, it would make sense and offer a damage option.

Khloe Deschanel – Human Necromancer/ Ami Ginju – Human Ranger [DOLO] -SBI
I stream sometimes: http://www.twitch.tv/kidtofu/
“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum”

in Ranger

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

The real question is do we want staff to be a condition weapon or a power weapon? I really don’t want another half-a weapons like mainhand axe.

in Ranger

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

Solar beam should cause burn.

Astral wisp’s wisp shouldn’t hurt the person you target but should apply 2 stacks of burning to enemy players it passes through while circling your target, once you cast it the skill changes to “ignite” which gives you the option to detonate it giving 3 stacks of burning to players within 250 range.

Ancestral grace should be a teleport

Vine surge should have some long lasting stacks of poison and bleed added to it

Sublime conversion should keep the healing mechanic but also mirror back confounding bolts

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

in Ranger

Posted by: Vendetta.1958

Vendetta.1958

> Should solar beam cause burn?

No, staff should be a pure healing weapon.

Veypa Windclaw
Fanciest Charr OCX
Mreow – [HD]

in Ranger

Posted by: Leodon.1564

Leodon.1564

Yes!

1) Staff should have been a hybrid weapon since we already have a power and condi range weapon.
2) Min/max DPS builds won’t take staff so it makes even more sense to not pigeonhole this staff into either condi or power but to make it a hybrid for greater build diversity instead.
3) Staff being a pure power/direct damage weapon currently does not make sense thematically with a Druid imo; vines is what I picture so to add condi to the weapon makes perfect sense to me.
4) Having skill#1 be a burn already ties into the name (Solar beam) and works nicely for boss fights where we will use this skill the most to generate astral force. Having condi for bosses where the damage can ramp up is a win/win situation for generating astral force and doing decent dps on sustained fights.

Faye Oren – Mesmer
Lee Oren – Ranger
Eve Oren – Revenant

(edited by Leodon.1564)

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

What is the point of that? CAF is pure healing, why would you think having more of the same is a good thing? Insane logic.

in Ranger

Leodon.1564

What is the point of that? CAF is pure healing, why would you think having more of the same is a good thing? Insane logic.

In terms of logic, it would go hybrid > condi > power > …………………………… healing only (yes, leave it to the forums for someone to even mention this).

Faye Oren – Mesmer
Lee Oren – Ranger
Eve Oren – Revenant

in Ranger

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

It’s also worth noting that adding conditions to staff would provide more synergy with Ancient Seeds as the staff trait causes daze which in turn causes Ancient Seeds to proc and apply bleeds to the target.

in Ranger

Leodon.1564

The real question is do we want staff to be a condition weapon or a power weapon? I really don’t want another half-a weapons like mainhand axe.

Mainhand axe was traditionally not used mainly because it didn’t fit in with the max dps meta (wether it be condi or power) we currently play in and not because there was anything necessarily wrong with it. (Its used now though in A/T Sinisiter builds because of the damage the build can put out.)

Druid is about losing some DPS for increased support capabilities so to play one, you are already of the accepting mindset that your damage is not going to be top-notch. Wether the weapon is power or condi is not as important in this frame of mind, and its better to have the weapon be a hybrid to support more builds imo.

Faye Oren – Mesmer
Lee Oren – Ranger
Eve Oren – Revenant

(edited by Leodon.1564)

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

…its better to have the weapon be a hybrid to support more builds imo.

Absolutely. Hybrid weapons are so much more diverse in the builds you can make with them because they will work with a large variety of amulets/gear. They only really need to add some burn to #1 and Poison to #2 and it would be enough for a condi build, would also help power builds and healing builds too. It would make Apothecary a viable choice, as it is now, its a total fail. The armor, not the staff… But…

in Ranger

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

I like the idea of adding burning to the staff 1. Or any condi. I would love to be able to flip to a Shortbow and quickly place some condi to help my team and at any moment be ready to switch back to staff. The synergy would make me ecstatic.

Apothecary’s Armor here I come! xD

in Ranger

Vendetta.1958

Because we have no dedicated healing weaponset if you change staff.

We already have more than enough weaponset options if you want to run conditions.

Veypa Windclaw
Fanciest Charr OCX
Mreow – [HD]

in Ranger

Posted by: AikunFelcis.7258

AikunFelcis.7258

I like the idea of solar beam burning and maybe skill 2 as well, but traited. Would be fun build to run healing power with condi dmg. Really good suggestion!

in Ranger

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

No.

We already have enough condi weapons.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

We already have more than enough weaponset options if you want to run conditions.

Wat? We are talking about adding conditions to the staff to make it better, not removing healing.

I’ll say it again there is no point having a Staff that is dedicated to healing only when you have a CAF that is dedicated to healing only, it makes the staff totally redundant. Doing useless damage with your staff so that you can heal is just crazy, it can do both while being balanced.

Honestly, I don’t get why people would not want improvements, Rangers are just masochists I suppose.

in Ranger

Puck.9612

No.

We have 2…. and they are both off hand. I guess shortbow technically counts but is very possibly the worst weapon in the game.

in Ranger

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

No.

We have 2…. and they are both off hand. I guess shortbow technically counts but is very possibly the worst weapon in the game.

• Axe
  • Dagger
  • Shortbow
  • Torch

I count 4. This is out of 9 weapons that rangers currently have.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

(edited by runeblade.7514)

in Ranger

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

Staff + Sharpened Edges + high crit chance might be considered a condi weapon. Staff auto-attack hits very often and can not be reflected/destroyed.

I just made another topic about this:
http://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/professions/ranger/Staff-with-Sharpened-Edges

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

No.

• Axe
  • Dagger
  • Shortbow
  • Torch

So, if Staff had some more condi put on it, we would have 5 of each! Hooray for equality!

in Ranger

Puck.9612

No.

• Axe
  • Dagger
  • Shortbow
  • Torch

Oh yeah… that 500ish dps that axe bleeds put out if you land every hit on split blade are pretty intimidating. Axe isn’t a condi weapon, it’s just the best choice out of the crappy choices we were provided with.

in Ranger

Vendetta.1958

Wat? We are talking about adding conditions to the staff to make it better, not removing healing.

I’ll say it again there is no point having a Staff that is dedicated to healing only when you have a CAF that is dedicated to healing only, it makes the staff totally redundant. Doing useless damage with your staff so that you can heal is just crazy, it can do both while being balanced.

Honestly, I don’t get why people would not want improvements, Rangers are just masochists I suppose.

Instead of adding burn, just buff the healing.

CAF is not a weaponset, friend, so your point is pretty irrelevant.

The point of staff is to be a support/utility weapon through heals and soft CC, not to spam conditions.

Veypa Windclaw
Fanciest Charr OCX
Mreow – [HD]

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

The point of staff is to be a support/utility weapon through heals and soft CC, not to spam conditions.

Mate, that is just crazy talk. Additional healing will not do anything useful for Druid.

CAF IS a weapon set, mate, it takes up your weapon skills, therefore its a weapon set. If you cannot use a weapon while in that form, its a weapon set. Pretty simple stuff to grasp…

Nobody is talking about spamming conditions, its one burn stack on AA for fsake, like maximum of 400dps, more like 150dps… Which would make Apothecary gear somewhat viable.

Oh, that’s it, not even going to bother anymore… Must be a troll, i mean, just read this entire post… Uuugh.

(edited by Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582)

in Ranger

Posted by: My Sweet Lily.1952

My Sweet Lily.1952

Well the healing coefficients are going up, even if it means base is going down. I really don’t know why you oppose the conditions when they would be extra, nothing is being taken away. Also when you spec into Druid to get your ‘’healing only’’ staff, you get CAF so it shouldn’t be ignored you know. It not being a weapon set doesn’t make it any less about healing (the uptime on that thing is super high too if you use staff). Doesn’t make sense to heal just so you can heal more.

I’m on board adding burning to Solar Beam.

Nymeriali #Druid
[TLA] Desolation (EU)

in Ranger

Posted by: Lewis Burnell.2493

Lewis Burnell.2493

In all honesty, I’d like two things:

1. Have Solar Beam and all Druid skills scale entirely based off your armor so that each skill can either off some damage and lots of healing (Clerics) or lots of damage and some healing (Berserker).

2. It would be nice if Solar Beam provided some form of boon, whether regeneration or protection to whomever passes through it.

At the moment the ranger doesn’t really need another weapon that has a weird mix of power and conditions.

in Ranger

Vendetta.1958

> Additional healing will not do anything useful for Druid.

Yes it will, it will heal for more. That’s the point of adding more healing, to heal for more.

If you don’t think apoth gear is viable you need to reevaluate your decision to attempt to discuss builds on this forum.

I salvaged my old apoth build a few months ago when comfortably 1v3ing people in WvW got boring.

> I really don’t know why you oppose the conditions when they would be extra,

There’s no such thing as a free lunch. If you give staff a bunch of unnecessary condis, and allow it to do decent damage, it becomes a hybrid support-condition weapon, rather than the straight support weapon it is supposed to be.

It makes sense to me that a weaponset designed purely for support would do a better job at support that a weaponset that is hybrid support and something else.

For example, axe-torch is better at Condi than shortbow because axe-torch is pure Condi, whereas SB is hybrid.

Veypa Windclaw
Fanciest Charr OCX
Mreow – [HD]

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

If you don’t think apoth gear is viable you need to reevaluate your decision to attempt to discuss builds on this forum.

Condition damage armor is pretty useless with a staff that has no damaging conditions on it, wouldn’t you say? Hence, adding conditions to the staff would make Apothecary armor viable for Druid Healing/Condi builds. Unless ofc the goal is to do as little damage as possible.

When discussing builds, I looks for synergies, like damaging conditions and condition damage, they do go together pretty well.

in Ranger

Vendetta.1958

Condition damage armor is pretty useless with a staff that has no damaging conditions on it, wouldn’t you say? Hence, adding conditions to the staff would make Apothecary armor viable for Druid Healing/Condi builds. Unless ofc the goal is to do as little damage as possible.

When discussing builds, I looks for synergies, like damaging conditions and condition damage, they do go together pretty well.

You do know you can press ~ to swap weaponsets right?
So you can equip Condi weapons on one set, and staff in the other.
Throw on some nice apoth and some dire trinkets, a trap maybe, sounds pretty OP to me.

Veypa Windclaw
Fanciest Charr OCX
Mreow – [HD]

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

I don’t think Solar Beam should cause burning. I want it to grow flowers instead… for more healing. <3

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

I think it should just stay as a healing/astral force weapon. The shortbow is already there for the ranged condition damage role.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Throw on some nice apoth and some dire trinkets, a trap maybe, sounds pretty OP to me.

So having 5/15 of your weapon skills do pitiful damage and 4/15 do no damage at all is a good idea to you?

So you do what, swap from A/T or S/T to Staff to heal, building up AF to enter CAF so you can heal even more, all the while doing no damage? Putting zero pressure on your opponent? Yeah, top build. I can see that being roaming meta. You may need to reevaluate your decision to attempt to discuss builds on this forum.

I think it should just stay as a healing/astral force weapon. The shortbow is already there for the ranged condition damage role.

And CAF is already there for a purely healing role. Staff should perform another role other than healing, ie damage. Adding some condi makes it more flexible for all builds.

in Ranger

Vendetta.1958

So having 5/15 of your weapon skills do pitiful damage and 4/15 do no damage at all is a good idea to you?

So you do what, swap from A/T or S/T to Staff to heal, building up AF to enter CAF so you can heal even more, all the while doing no damage? Putting zero pressure on your opponent? Yeah, top build. I can see that being roaming meta. You may need to reevaluate your decision to attempt to discuss builds on this forum.

And CAF is already there for a purely healing role. Staff should perform another role other than healing, ie damage. Adding some condi makes it more flexible for all builds.

It sounds like the Druid specialization doesn’t fit what you preordained it to be. If you don’t like playing a healer/support role and ‘doing no damage’ nobody is forcing you to play it:

If you want to focus on being the top offense then you probably shouldn’t be selecting the Druid specialization.

But do us all a favor and don’t rant on here demanding that it be changed to perfectly suit whatever build you happen to run.

Veypa Windclaw
Fanciest Charr OCX
Mreow – [HD]

(edited by Vendetta.1958)

in Ranger

Posted by: Nemesis.6938

Nemesis.6938

agree, imo solar beam should cause burn and the vine surge should cause bleeding (makes thematically a lot of sense, also regarding entangle and it makes functionally a lot of sense for the druid)

in Ranger

Posted by: Zatoichi.1049

Zatoichi.1049

burning on beam sounds good, but I don’t know how they would implement it cuz its a channeled skill. either what Heim said, or a chance to burn, 33% chance per pulse comes to mind.

I agree with poison on vine surge, but not bleed.

natural convergence should pulse damage and slow on people for 1 second who walk through it or stand in it.

(edited by Zatoichi.1049)

in Ranger

Leodon.1564

@Vendetta

Just stop with the nonsense please. We know its a support weapon but that doesn’t mean it should only heal. (If this were true, staff on Rev would only heal also.)

Due to the 10 second weapon swamp, you can’t have a pure healing weapon since you can’t switch on the fly between when you need damage or healing.

Faye Oren – Mesmer
Lee Oren – Ranger
Eve Oren – Revenant

in Ranger

Vendetta.1958

> Due to the 10 second weapon swamp, you can’t have a pure healing weapon since you can’t switch on the fly between when you need damage or healing.

That is the worst argument I have ever heard.

You should use some skill and read the situation in which you are in.

Veypa Windclaw
Fanciest Charr OCX
Mreow – [HD]

in Ranger

CandyHearts.6025

burning on beam sounds good, but I don’t know how they would implement it cuz its a channeled skill. either what Heim said, or a chance to burn, 33% chance per pulse comes to mind.

I agree with poison on vine surge, but not bleed.

natural convergence should pulse damage and slow on people for 1 second who walk through it or stand in it.

Anything on vine surge would be fabulous. It just feels like such short lived skill that doesn’t have that oomph it needs.

in Ranger

Posted by: Hiki.9310

Hiki.9310

Burning will be a welcome change. The skill that shoots out barbed vines should also apply bleeding.

“If it ain’t broke don’t fix it” – Mallyx

in Ranger

Puck.9612

It sounds like the Druid specialization doesn’t fit what you preordained it to be. If you don’t like playing a healer/support role and ‘doing no damage’ nobody is forcing you to play it:

If you want to focus on being the top offense then you probably shouldn’t be selecting the Druid specialization.

But do us all a favor and don’t rant on here demanding that it be changed to perfectly suit whatever build you happen to run.

I don’t think he is trying to make it fit any particular build. He is just trying to make it a useful weapon.

The game has been designed around not needing a dedicated healer, that was one of its biggest selling points. What happens if this experiment fails? Do you realize how much of the PvE content in this game has been toned down to make it easier and more casual? Pretty much all of it.

If it fails do you think they will immediately redesign druid to make it useful? Before you answer that remember that the core ranger has been littered with problems for over 3 years because it would take to much effort to fix them

The best time to try and get things changed is right now while they are already working on it.

in Ranger

Posted by: PowerBottom.5796

PowerBottom.5796

I’d actually very much appreciate a bit of condi-damage on the staff, to make the staff more viable on condition-builds. This is IMHO important since the whole celestial avatar form is heavily tied to the staff….

in Ranger

CandyHearts.6025

I’d actually very much appreciate a bit of condi-damage on the staff, to make the staff more viable on condition-builds. This is IMHO important since the whole celestial avatar form is heavily tied to the staff….

As far as I have read it wont be.

They will include damage as a build up. But Staff will still be the “faster” way.

in Ranger

Vendetta.1958

I don’t think he is trying to make it fit any particular build. He is just trying to make it a useful weapon.

The game has been designed around not needing a dedicated healer, that was one of its biggest selling points. What happens if this experiment fails? Do you realize how much of the PvE content in this game has been toned down to make it easier and more casual? Pretty much all of it.

If it fails do you think they will immediately redesign druid to make it useful? Before you answer that remember that the core ranger has been littered with problems for over 3 years because it would take to much effort to fix them

The best time to try and get things changed is right now while they are already working on it.

PvE is a complete joke.

Whether you like it or not, druid is a complete waste of space in any of the core games PvE no matter which way you slice it. As long as the profession mechanic revolves around healing, and the core games PvE is laughable at best in terms of difficulty, that will be the case.

So let’s now accept this, and move on – lets not water this spec down for the fun parts of this game for the appeasement of a subset of content that will never ever use this spec anyway 8 months from now.

Veypa Windclaw
Fanciest Charr OCX
Mreow – [HD]

in Ranger

Posted by: randomly.6395

randomly.6395

I feel like the Druid would be a perfect candidate to use celestial gear on, so the staff should really have some damaging conditions added to it. I think a few simple solutions would be as follows:

• Solar Beam ticks have a 50% chance to apply 1s of burning
  • Astral Wisp applies 2 stacks of burning for 1s on the initial target when applied, then 2 stacks for 1s every time the wisp moves through an enemy.
  • Vine Surge should apply 2-3 stacks of bleeding and poison for 4-5 seconds
  • Maybe allow Sublime Conversion to corrupt 1 boon on an enemy as they pass through it

I’m not a big fan of solar beam only giving burning on the final hit just because of its piercing effect to enemies in between. I want targets that run through the beam to be potentially punished with burn even on the first and second tick.