Sun Spirit troubles

Sun Spirit troubles

in Ranger

Posted by: RenoMiranda.2685

RenoMiranda.2685

It says that it will grant allies 35% chance to apply burning and with Vigorous Spirits Trait ability it is a 70% chance but I saw that it would only apply burning for me about 10% of the time. Is there a cooldown to how often I can apply burning?

Crave[CCC]

Sun Spirit troubles

in Ranger

Posted by: sminkiottone.6972

sminkiottone.6972

I think it has 10 sec,
Effect recharge : 10 sec
duration : 60 sec

Sun Spirit troubles

in Ranger

RenoMiranda.2685

I think it has 10 sec,

It’s like that for all Spirit effects? o.o

Crave[CCC]

Sun Spirit troubles

in Ranger

Posted by: Jacks.5367

Jacks.5367

With the exception of Frost Spirit. It seems that there is bugged that it has no internal cd.

Sun Spirit troubles

in Ranger

RenoMiranda.2685

With the exception of Frost Spirit. It seems that there is bugged that it has no internal cd.

Darn. Are Spirit Rangers still okay in PvE?

Crave[CCC]

Sun Spirit troubles

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

Usually people only bring traited Frost because it equates to a 7% party wide dps boost.

Ranger | Elementalist

Sun Spirit troubles

in Ranger

Posted by: Jacks.5367

Jacks.5367

I think you might have misunderstood my post. In the tooltip it shown that it has 10 sec effect recharge but actually there is none thus the bug.

Depend on your PVE content. But current meta frost spirit is a must.

Sun Spirit troubles

in Ranger

Posted by: Solandri.9640

Solandri.9640

I think it has 10 sec,

I tested it pretty extensively in the Mists last month. The way it seems to work is:

• You attack. Each attack has a 35%/70% chance to apply the spirit’s burning effect.
  • When the burn gets applied, a 10 sec cooldown kicks in. You cannot reapply the burning effect during that 10 sec.
  • The spirit dies after 60 sec, but the buff remains for an additional 10 sec. So your downtime (when you have no chance of applying burning ) is only 15 sec. If both you and your pet were attacking a boss, the burn duration should’ve stacked enough to span this gap.

Since the burning effect lasts 10 sec, this means it can take a while for the burning to first be applied. But once it gets on, it’s virtually guaranteed to stay on if both you and pet are attacking and in range of the spirit. If only you are in range, then the burning will last 10 sec, then you’ll have to wait again until you get lucky and reapply the burning.

For 35% / 70%, the chances of the effect appearing within x attacks is:

attacks – 35% – 70%
0 – 0% – 0%
1 – 35% – 70%
2 – 57.8% – 91%
3 – 72.5% – 97.3%
4 – 82.1% – 99.2%
5 – 88.4% – 99.8%
6 – 92.5% – 99.9%
7 – 95.1% – 99.98%
8 – 96.8% – 99.99%
9 – 97.9% – 99.998%
10 – 98.7% – 99.999%

So as you can see, doubling the chances of the effect appearing from 35% to 70% more than halves the number of attacks needed to apply the effect on average. At 35% you need 5-6 attacks to have a 90% chance to apply the effect. At 70% you need just 2 attacks. (Mathematically, it’s the chance not to apply the effect which is more important. So the trait reduces the chance not to apply from 65% to 30%, which is a bit more than double the effectiveness.)

Because the probability scales with number of attacks, not by time, the skill works best if you have a lot of people in range. Yeah that’s kinda obvious, but it means if you’re using it with a full party, you do not need the 70% trait for it to be effective. The target will start burning within a second or two, and because it stacks in duration it’ll continue to burn for a long time.

For the particular case of just you and the pet, the 70% trait with Sun Spirit is probably only useful if you’re killing stuff which dies within a few seconds. But if it’s dying that quickly the burning probably doesn’t matter. So I’d say the 70% trait is of dubious value with Sun Spirit in pretty much all cases.

(edited by Solandri.9640)