Sword Auto-Attack-Root working as intended?

in Ranger

Posted by: Batlav.6318

Batlav.6318

yeah sword auto is broken
in spvp i can’t stomp most of the time unless i weaponwap

SFR

in Ranger

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

@up technically it isn’t a bug. You can’t dodge while leaping with any skill so why You should be able break leap with dodge on this one?

It is not the leap animation. I tested for that. I manually did the #1 and #2 attacks, waited then dodged, then fired the #3 attack. After I finished leaping back, I still could not dodge. There is something going on after the #2 and #3 attacks (not the leaps), I’m guessing an after-attack animation delay, which prevent you from dodging, but not from using other skills or moving.

I would call this as a bona-fide bug for this reason. Allow dodges to interrupt after-cast animations (assuming that’s what they are), and half the “root” problem goes away. (I say half because if they fixed this, the “root” problem would become a “my character just jumps right back to where it was before I dodged” problem. There’s no getting around that unless you turn autoattack off.)

Let’s try the same with gs skill swoop – If You could dodge immediatelly after hit of it then I’ll admit that You are right

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

in Ranger

Posted by: AlphaK.9486

AlphaK.9486

Inconsistencies. On my War, I can dodge mid HB, and dodge while doing offhand axe whirl. Why not on Ranger’s offhand axe whirl? Yes, I dodged without problems while using sword ONLY if I unbound the auto-attack. Why should we have to compromise for one weapon?

Dodging should overwrite any skill. Period.

You also cannot use the bound dodge during LB5 without moving. I’m not sure why warriors are allowed to dodge during HB with the bound dodge key while we have to move/doubletap to dodge during our LB5 and Axe5.

in Ranger

Posted by: bitterjo.1695

bitterjo.1695

@up technically it isn’t a bug. You can’t dodge while leaping with any skill so why You should be able break leap with dodge on this one?

It is not the leap animation. I tested for that. I manually did the #1 and #2 attacks, waited then dodged, then fired the #3 attack. After I finished leaping back, I still could not dodge. There is something going on after the #2 and #3 attacks (not the leaps), I’m guessing an after-attack animation delay, which prevent you from dodging, but not from using other skills or moving.

I would call this as a bona-fide bug for this reason. Allow dodges to interrupt after-cast animations (assuming that’s what they are), and half the “root” problem goes away. (I say half because if they fixed this, the “root” problem would become a “my character just jumps right back to where it was before I dodged” problem. There’s no getting around that unless you turn autoattack off.)

Let’s try the same with gs skill swoop – If You could dodge immediatelly after hit of it then I’ll admit that You are right

You CAN dodge after GS Swoop skill. I stack on Alpha, Tazza and Nightmare Vines with GS. No different from Guard’s Leap of Faith and still able to dodge all red circles. The issue is chain attacks.

Hmmm, LB5 isn’t much of an issue because it’s a channeling skill like Mesmer’s sword2 and Ele’s Stakitten . You can dodge mid-channeling but it cancels the animation. Just wondering why War’s OH axe has the luxury of still being able to spin for hits even after dodging.

in Ranger

Posted by: Odd Magnet.3970

Odd Magnet.3970

[…]

This.
It should fix the rooting and shouldn’t break anything else.

I don’t attract, I don’t repel. That’s kinda odd

in Ranger

Posted by: Kasei.8726

Kasei.8726

Exactly. I don’t see what’s so hard about implementing this. I don’t mind other skills having a lower priority than the auto-attack, but dodging should have a higher priority than most actions, and especially an auto-attack skill chain.

in Ranger

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

“High risk high reward?”
what’s the reward again? Feeling clunky & imprecise?

The Atari 2600 required “skill” because of poor control too. Sorry, but the 1H Sword is just poorly implemented. Rooting, involuntary movement during auto attack & dodge black-outs are clunky design choices, not risk/reward.

(edited by DarksunG.9537)

in Ranger

Lord Trejgon.2809

Exactly. I don’t see what’s so hard about implementing this. I don’t mind other skills having a lower priority than the auto-attack, but dodging should have a higher priority than most actions, and especially an auto-attack skill chain.

try to use non-shout skill while leaping (and being middle-air) does it overwrite it?
oh I see anybody should be able to magically bounce and dodge backward while being in the middle of leaping forward.

anyway I grow tired of this section of forum….

in Ranger

bitterjo.1695

try to use non-shout skill while leaping (and being middle-air) does it overwrite it?
oh I see anybody should be able to magically bounce and dodge backward while being in the middle of leaping forward.

If you’re midleap and there’s a red circle, well, sucks to be you. I’m talking auto attack #1. It’s not about dodging MID-LEAP. It’s about being able to do something as simple as a button V while on auto attack. It’s that simple. Every other class, every other weapon does not have that problem. Why only Ranger Sword?

in Ranger

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

i think its not working right, just too much job to fix it.

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

in Ranger

Lord Trejgon.2809

If you’re midleap and there’s a red circle, well, sucks to be you. I’m talking auto attack #1. It’s not about dodging MID-LEAP. It’s about being able to do something as simple as a button V while on auto attack. It’s that simple. Every other class, every other weapon does not have that problem. Why only Ranger Sword?

You missed something.
1hsword autoatack sequence is:
hit-leap-leap
with auto-atack enabled there is really too close gaps between skill 2 and 3 to click that dodge.
that’s why I posted what I posted.

PS. ranger 1hsword is only weapon in game that have leaps in their auto…

in Ranger

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

The part I see is on the first try, you actually just finished the attack animation. (And damage pops up…) after which you dodge. The second time you swap your weapon to cancel the auto-attack.

Mind you weapon swapping is not always available or something you should want when you need to dodge a big hit.

As for the last part; any Ranger should know how to micro-manage their pet by now.

Also this:

I can think of much better ways to get carpel tunnel than smashing my one key because Anet doesn’t want to fix the sword.

The best way to make sure you’re able to dodge when needed is to disable the auto-attack.

Although I must confess, using the auto-attack manually while actively target switching can be amazing, but this takes much practise. It’s interesting to use for that reason, but I can’t see myself bothered to stick to the sword exclusively because I’d mess up my hand. And I need that hand to play bass so I can inspire my server to kick kitten (or mute my microphone in TS.)

Working as intended? I don’t know.
But it’s possible to “work around” the weapon’s limitations. Which is possibly why a lot of people complain they don’t want the weapon ‘fixed’. ‘Fraid it’d dumb the weapon down or something.

I for one care more about my health than about a higher skill ceiling for the Ranger.

Is there any other weapon for any other class where the only way to use the auto attack effectively is to actually disable it and use it manually?

Why make such a thing at all? The whole point is that it cycles through without your intervention, which is why it defaults with autoattack on in the first place.

I have a very hard time accepting that a weapon is good or capable when you actively have to use a workaround to use it at all. This isn’t a matter of skill, work arounds are for things that are broken but don’t have an effective fix yet. How about we just get the fix instead of being forced to deal with the workaround?

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

in Ranger

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

This is one of the big reasons I switched to Thief as main. 1h sword on thief is much more fun to play than ranger 1h sword imo.

I have nothing against “high risk, high reward”, but the mechanics just feel clunky and unnaturally restrictive. Even if it is working as intended, it still feels like a bugged weapon.

As much as I love the idea of playing a 1h sword build on my ranger, the execution just feels wrong to me. =(

in Ranger

Odd Magnet.3970

also, if they wanted a high risk, they would’ve implemented it better.

because no dev is that ignorant to say: “oh, this attack now blocks dodging? let’s just call it a high-risk high-reward weapon”

in Ranger

bitterjo.1695

also, if they wanted a high risk, they would’ve implemented it better.

because no dev is that ignorant to say: “oh, this attack now blocks dodging? let’s just call it a high-risk high-reward weapon”

LMAO not unless I get exotics using a sword on my Ranger. Now that’s something worth dying for

in Ranger

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

seriously I turned off auto attack and I havent had a single problem

in Ranger

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

seriously I turned off auto attack and I havent had a single problem

Good for you, you’re now using the only weapon in the game across all classes that only works properly when its auto attack isn’t automatic.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

in Ranger

Posted by: Solandri.9640

Solandri.9640

As I’ve already stated, the problem is two-fold.

1. After the leap attacks finish, there’s about 3/4 of a sec where you can’t dodge. There’s no reason for this – you can move or fire other skills during this time. And in fact doing so restores your ability to dodge even though the 3/4 sec is not up. You just cannot go straight from these leap attacks to a dodge. This screams bug. And turning off autoattack and using sword manually does not mitigate it.

2. Even if you do manage to dodge between attacks, if the next autoattack is a leap skill you will leap right back and start autoattacking again. The only fix for this is to turn autoattack off. Or they could change dodge so it turned attack off, but that would be an undesirable behavior with autoattacks which don’t leap. If I could get my hands on the code I’d insert an if (dodge_completed && next_autoattack_is_a_leap) then (turn_off_attack) to fix this with no negative consequences.

Fixing either of these problems would not require giving you the ability to dodge mid-leap. That’s just a silly and irrelevant scenario manufactured by people who refuse to believe sword has problems, or misunderstand sword’s problems.

(Another problem with sword related to (2) is that if the target dies just as one of the leap skills is firing, you will lose your target and leap the full distance. This is what sends you leaping off of cliffs and off ledges in dungeons. Currently the only solution is to leave auto-target on, which most skilled players like to turn off. And even then if the target which died is the last enemy nearby, you’ll still go flying. I submitted a bug report months ago requesting that the corpse remain targeted (which can happen if someone has called the target) if auto-target is off. That way you will just leap to the corpse instead of off a cliff.)

in Ranger

Posted by: Castaliea.3156

Castaliea.3156

I made a video specifically to address complaints like this.

Just… watch it.

I love this video. Thank you. I needed a perfect example of how it’s, “With my skill and tricks I made a weapon not be absolute kitten.” instead of “With my skill and tricks I turned a good weapon into an amazing one.”
~Thanks.

This entire problem is from the way the Sword functioned much earlier in development and instead of reworking the skills they just added different effects.

Guild Leader
Sempai Said I Was A [QTpi]
Apply @ | http://sempaisaid.enjin.com |

in Ranger

Odd Magnet.3970

I really hope they’ll address this when they’ve finished longbow ._.