Sword change thoughts.

Sword change thoughts.

in Ranger

Posted by: Mavander.3208

Mavander.3208

Here is what I’d like.

Skill 1: The first two swings are fine. That leap though. I’m willing to cut it. Of course that limits it’s sticking potential and that was the whole idea around the skill’s design. So how to give the sword sticking potential without having a leap build into it’s auto attack? Prepare for crazy. Superspeed. On swing 3. The duration is flexible. 1/2 to a second. It works on moving and stationary targets and it provides improved movement capabilities. It’s sticky without being clunky. The point is that you aren’t locked in an animation for your auto attack. Very much needed, right?

Skill 2: We need an engager. That means a leap. And it’s there, just hidden behind a disengage. Lets trim away the disengage and get to that sweet sweet gap closer. But what about the evade? Throw it on the leap! You can take the cripple as compensation even. Now we have a gap closer when we need it and an evade in the thick of combat without clunky skills getting in the way. Success?

Skill 3: Snake magic. Roll to the right. Who wants to waste a skill when they can literally dodge roll through people? The evade is great and I want it to stay, but lets give it actual movement ability and not clunky snake dodge. This is where the disengage belongs. If you want to get around someone, dodge through or walk around. If you want to get out of there entirely, disengage with this. Keep the evade. Keep the poison. Lose the clunk. I think we have a winner.

All cooldowns can remain the same. All cast times can remain the same. It still feels like sword.

Thoughts?

Sword change thoughts.

in Ranger

Posted by: Jasper Defthand.3018

Jasper Defthand.3018

We already have a weapon with a leap gap closer, greatsword. I would prefer to see something different done with the #1 auto attack chain, remove the leap and put in something such as a condi or boon, or boon strip. As for the other 2 skills, i would just like to see the maneuvers cleaned up so it all feels smooth and not clunky.

Personally I almost never use sword because of the #1 chain keeps you locked in place. I end up always sticking with greatsword when im solo, or a/w if im grouped. I would like to be able to roll sword but that #1 chain is just insufferable.

(edited by Jasper Defthand.3018)

Sword change thoughts.

in Ranger

Posted by: InsaneQR.7412

InsaneQR.7412

Actually i thought about some different idea to improve the sword skills.
#1: no leap on the final chain but apply vuln on hit or weakness on crit(the idea of superspeed or swiftness is pretty good though)
#2:As you said the leap on the first step of tzhe chain, but the second would be cool if it was the old #3, for example you jump in with a snakejump (apply poison or torment or weakness) and after wards you can do the evade inside the battle to get arround your foe.
And Finally the #3: The Hornet sting evade + leave a poisontrail field behind you to combo with and applying Torment(for example)

It doesnt matter if the Greatsword has a gap closer and the sword would get one too, the warrior has Plenty of gap closers and 3 of them are on weaponskills (including bursts)

Another Suggestion of mine is to give the Ranger a Hunterweaponskill.
Like the stealth skill of the Thief but this skill works similar to opening strike. Your first strike in combat is your Hunterskill #1 and it is replenished when leaving combat.
For example: You can put the leap of the sword chain on this Skill to get your beloved gap closer.
Or you can put a short immob on the Shortbow #1 Hunterskill.
etc etc.

This would give this class a lot more skill and build variety, which is needed because the skills of the Pets are only two you can use at the same Time.

Pale Raiders united.
9 Sylvari, 9 unique Builds.

Sword change thoughts.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sina.9208

Sina.9208

All I want is to have the ability to move around my target FREELY & in melee max range.

Sword change thoughts.

in Ranger

Posted by: Mavander.3208

Mavander.3208

Surely the superspeed idea is outstanding, right?

Sword change thoughts.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sina.9208

Sina.9208

Surely the superspeed idea is outstanding, right?

As long as there is zero rooting, yes :-)

Sword change thoughts.

in Ranger

Posted by: Pikka.6023

Pikka.6023

Serpent Strike needs an upgrade. We need stability during the evade, apparently, because I often get cc’d when I’m supposedly evading attacks, which makes no sense, but happens all too frequently. The evade roll needs to go more towards the target, then snap around to their back quickly on the attack