Sword change

Sword change

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

? Bugs on the Ranger, Bugs on the Forum, Don’t be a Stranger, Join the Consortium ?

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

Sword change

in Ranger

Posted by: urowell mooncrest.7425

urowell mooncrest.7425

This is just my opinion, but using sword was a skill that needed to be practiced and with that we gained a new skill in of ourselves of mastering sword. but, with that said this may hinder some of the community who have used the old aa for so long to switch over. I for one may see a huge improvement or even a huge disadvantage in using the new aa sword. This may either cause huge back lash or huge applause for A-nets choice. Either way we just need to approach this with negative and positive mind set and try and voice our issues in a civil way with the new aa when it comes out.

Sword change

in Ranger

Posted by: Euthymias.7984

Euthymias.7984

Well color me surprised – after all this time, they’ve finally touched Sword!
While I understand that some like the leap, I personally wasn’t fond of it since it restricts your character control during. If they keep its cripple effect (and even better – improve Predator’s Instinct!), then it should still be great at sticking to a target.

Sword change

in Ranger

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

i like the change. Now i hope the sword is not nerfed and there is some way to keep the cleave effect but without the lockdown.

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

Sword change

in Ranger

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

I’ll miss the funky wrestling style Norn air kick animation, but wow, if we can finally dodge on demand while using the sword, i’m delighted!

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

Sword change

in Ranger

Posted by: Zelda.6325

Zelda.6325

The root has always been the scapegoat this change isn’t going to really help those of you that have issue with the weapon you either can or can’t stay alive in melee range while doing damage. This will help those occasional deaths that occur once you kill a target and are near a ledge but, with gliding its more of inconvenience.

The root is a factual problem. You can “get gud scrubs” all you want but it’s a problem all the same.

No one said it’s impossible or even “hard” to use in PvE, What it is though is annoying. Annoying = not fun and most of us play games to have fun. And frankly, who gives a kitten if they change it and you lose the leap in PvE? It was useless in nearly all content. This is nothing but a net gain in PvE.

If all you can say is the change is meant to appease baddies in PvE then you have no weight to your complaints at all.

The root is a factual problem for you. Annoying for you. People tend to dislike things they’re not good at. You guys turn aa off and claim you have master this weapon you claim its hard to dodge when 90% of the time moving though the target would save your butt while keeping your dodge.

You guys claim that the root gets you killed, yet Zerg surfing is possible because of it.

I never used the words “you get good scrub” for one I’m not a 5 year old. Failing is necessary for one to have any success. I for one would never try to discourage the learning process by encourage one to give up.

There is no doubt the learning curve is steep, but its well worth it once you overcome it. It one of the reason I have pride in my Ranger it proves its not all just pew pew.

There is a sharp decline in melee use in this meta and not just for the Sword, but the Great sword as well. This change does remove the facts that have caused that.

The leap was counterproductive to the skill in PvP and PvP. This change is an improvement in those gamemstory, end of story. In WvWvW, i don’t know.

Sword change

in Ranger

Posted by: Kicker.8203

Kicker.8203

The best way to improve it would be to leave them as leap skills but let is stow them any time or dodgeroll during cast. This would be different that current movement skills but still.

Sword change

in Ranger

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

The best way to improve it would be to leave them as leap skills but let is stow them any time or dodgeroll during cast. This would be different that current movement skills but still.

Tracking on it would be nice. Would have been cool to have it function like heart seeker, never had issues with that one.

Maybe 2 and 3 will get improved because they are easy to dodge and outmaneuver in wvw and spvp.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Sword change

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

The root has always been the scapegoat this change isn’t going to really help those of you that have issue with the weapon you either can or can’t stay alive in melee range while doing damage. This will help those occasional deaths that occur once you kill a target and are near a ledge but, with gliding its more of inconvenience.

The root is a factual problem. You can “get gud scrubs” all you want but it’s a problem all the same.

No one said it’s impossible or even “hard” to use in PvE, What it is though is annoying. Annoying = not fun and most of us play games to have fun. And frankly, who gives a kitten if they change it and you lose the leap in PvE? It was useless in nearly all content. This is nothing but a net gain in PvE.

If all you can say is the change is meant to appease baddies in PvE then you have no weight to your complaints at all.

The root is a factual problem for you. Annoying for you. People tend to dislike things they’re not good at. You guys turn aa off and claim you have master this weapon you claim its hard to dodge when 90% of the time moving though the target would save your butt while keeping your dodge.

You guys claim that the root gets you killed, yet Zerg surfing is possible because of it.

I never used the words “you get good scrub” for one I’m not a 5 year old. Failing is necessary for one to have any success. I for one would never try to discourage the learning process by encourage one to give up.

There is no doubt the learning curve is steep, but its well worth it once you overcome it. It one of the reason I have pride in my Ranger it proves its not all just pew pew.

There is a sharp decline in melee use in this meta and not just for the Sword, but the Great sword as well. This change does remove the facts that have caused that.

The leap was counterproductive to the skill in PvP and PvP. This change is an improvement in those gamemstory, end of story. In WvWvW, i don’t know.

counterproductive? no it was a amazing disengaging tool if sword 2 can’t be used or used with Sword 2 after a detarget leap.

the problem here is this change is two Dynamics

1. is pure Frontal Melee focus on damage+ease to hit (more Reliable but less aggressive/pressure and simply easy to control)
2. is current , melee damage in junction with mobility effects not frontal focus(more agressive+pressure harder to control needs Manual skills not easy spamming)

Anet need to make a choice or come up with a Better fix because the idea they have right now is lame and could be better implimented, rather than turning Sword AA into a Necros Dagger or a thiefs dagger AA type Spam is boring end of.

Sword change

in Ranger

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

I just hope we won’t lose any attack speed on the sword AA with this change.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

Sword change

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

Someone should probably run a bunch of tests with sword and write down the results, so we have something to compare with when the change goes live.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

Sword change

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

Lord knows I plan to do so. Update can’t come fast enough for me just because I want to see if anything else has changed besides the animations. I’ll admit that I would be kind of disappointed if the rest of sword’s kit wasn’t tweaked/modified.

Sword change

in Ranger

Posted by: Karmapolice.4193

Karmapolice.4193

I guess I’m in the minority but I really like the current sword attacks. I didn’t mind the root too much and it was never really a problem for me.

That new animation looks terrible. Really bad.

Sword change

in Ranger

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

I guess I’m in the minority but I really like the current sword attacks. I didn’t mind the root too much and it was never really a problem for me.

That new animation looks terrible. Really bad.

I think it looks great. Well, great in comparison to my floppy-fish norn right now.

NSPride <3

Sword change

in Ranger

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

Sad to see the old animations go. Hope the entire chain strikes up to 3 targets and the 2nd strike still applies cripple. Cheers for this change.

My ranger is a norn male. I am absolutely ecstatic to see the old animations go. They were terrible.

Sword change

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

Guess that’s why I’ll miss the old animations. I have only played Ranger on Humans & Asura. By far, I’ll miss the Asura sword animations the most. The Norn can go, though. :P

Sword change

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

The norn animation is absolutely hysterical. I think they were going for a “300” look, but it just goes too fast.

Attachments:

Sword change

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

I thought they were going for a pro-wrestling thing. What, with the dropkick followed by a sword leap that hanged in the air so long it looked like a Norn was more likely to do an elbow drop on an opponent than smash a sword into their face. lol

Sword change

in Ranger

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

The third animation looks slow enough to get a good whack of mistrust…

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

Sword change

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

I thought the same at first but I believe it’s still 3/4 second. From roughly keeping beat in my head, it feels like the same pattern. I am on vacation this week and have been drunk non-stop though, so don’t take my word for it.

Sword change

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

Not even sure how you could view it as slow as the entire chain appears to be the standard ½s strikes with lowered after-casts that were updated onto the Thief’s sword. Pounce being ¾s with a bit of an after-cast is slower.

And if it turns out to be all ½s sword casts, it kind of evens out in the end. ½s x 3 vs old sword ½s -> ¼s -> ¾s.

Sword change

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

It’s probably just personal perception. It looks slower because there is less happening visually and the character now moves at a more realistic pace because of it.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Sword change

in Ranger

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

Dunno if I am a fan of the change. The leap helped me stick to opponents in pvp. Giving 1s quickness would be a fair buff to the 2nd auto attack. Guess we will find out today.

Bad Elementalist

Sword change

in Ranger

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

Not even sure how you could view it as slow as the entire chain appears to be the standard ½s strikes with lowered after-casts that were updated onto the Thief’s sword. Pounce being ¾s with a bit of an after-cast is slower.

And if it turns out to be all ½s sword casts, it kind of evens out in the end. ½s x 3 vs old sword ½s -> ¼s -> ¾s.

More likely, if some attack speed is lost it will come from additional “aftercast” since it didn’t seem that there were any aftercast in the original skill set.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

Sword change

in Ranger

Posted by: Karmapolice.4193

Karmapolice.4193

Not happy at all with how it looks with my Sylvari ranger. Slow and boring.
I guess it’s a better change for giant Norns and Charr, but I really hate it.

I realize most don’t feel the same way, so nothing much I can do.

Sword change

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

Really dislike this change boring as hell and lost functionality. The weapon is a lot slow and quickness doesn’t help at all. I suspect that there is a lot more aftercast with is not affected by quickness from what I understand.

We shall see how many of us actually use this weapon now.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

Sword change

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

The initial strike looks really awkward on the human male, like he’s doing something really unnecessary with his wrist that also looks quite painfull.

The stab on 2 is nice and clean.

The little spin flourish on 3 is really nice. Good to see some fancy action was kept intact.

Really dislike this change boring as hell and lost functionality. The weapon is a lot slow and quickness doesn’t help at all. I suspect that there is a lot more aftercast with is not affected by quickness from what I understand.

We shall see how many of us actually use this weapon now.

-It’s not slower, or if it is it’s only detectable via timing animation frames from what I can tell.
-Quickness does help, this is just flat out wrong to say.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Sword change

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

It looks so kitten y. Why couldn’t they just keep the kick but not make it a leap?

Sword change

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

I could take a golem out in 5 seconds without my pet in 5 second before the patch with quickness not even close now. I’m not going by the animations

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

Sword change

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

-It’s not slower, or if it is it’s only detectable via timing animation frames from what I can tell.

Two points on this these:

• It actually is slower due to more aftercasts than the previous animation, resulting in a DPS loss.
  • Quickness affects it, but because the aftercasts on the new chain, a Ranger still kills slower with it compared to the older chain.

Sword change

in Ranger

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

The norn animation is absolutely hysterical. I think they were going for a “300” look, but it just goes too fast.

So we went from floppy fish to ecstatic spartan? :P

NSPride <3

Sword change

in Ranger

Posted by: HotHit.6783

HotHit.6783

It looks like they removed Kick. I’m not sure what they actually did to prevent the “rooting” problem, so whether they killed the weapon or made it awkward to use I can’t say for sure.

Both kick and pounce would move you forward enough to lock you into a movement path, preventing you from performing any other action. You can see the same effect during GS2 and Staff3. Both are longer duration but have the same effect. To my knowledge, only swapping weapons will allow you to cancel the animation mid channel.

Changing the skills so they no longer move the character means you now have full range of movement and action during the entire chain in the same way a thief or warrior would.

I know what Kick and Pounce do. I did not know what the patchnotes were going to be until today. I was trying to retain hope that Anet hadn’t followed Riot Games’ example and deleting the things I love only to replace them with something boring and soleless. The sword has never self rooted and this patch just deleted one of the most fun weapons in the game.

So yeah, turns out they hadn’t made new tech to produce a leap type attack that doesn’t behave as a leap whenever you’re trying to move manually in any direction other than forwards, like I was painfully hoping. No instead of removing the self root, they deleted the ranger sword and the beautiful auto-attack animation had to go with it.

Never Fight Alone” – Sunspear Creed
There, it’s dead and it’s never coming back!” – Famous last words

Sword change

in Ranger

Posted by: HotHit.6783

HotHit.6783

Two points on this these:

• It actually is slower due to more aftercasts than the previous animation, resulting in a DPS loss.
  • Quickness affects it, but because the aftercasts on the new chain, a Ranger still kills slower with it compared to the older chain.

Someone mentioned it. I stopped theory crafting and lurking the forums to make an axe/axe build usable and listened in game. The attack sounds noticeably slower than I remember with quickness. I used to play with a bad quickness sword build a lot, so yeah it’s anecdotal, but I’m sure I can tell the difference.

Maybe it’s to make up for the fact that you can’t slash kick pounce, slash kick pounce in time with your auto attacks anymore? ’Cause we gotta fit those 6 extra syllables in there somehow.

Never Fight Alone” – Sunspear Creed
There, it’s dead and it’s never coming back!” – Famous last words

Sword change

in Ranger

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

Gotta love it when the casuals / non-ranger’s ruin a perfectly good weapon.

Sorry guys, losing the chasedown / stealth tracking from the leap portion is HUGE.

Sword change

in Ranger

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

I like the change,but I am going to miss kicking people in the face. If you ever played Sylvari ranger with a sword you will know what i’m talking about with the high kicks lol. RIP old animations.

Although I think I still prefer the old version of this wep in PvP. Once you got used to its restraints it was pretty useful.

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

(edited by Zalani.9827)

Sword change

in Ranger

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

I like the change,but I am going to miss kicking people in the face. If you ever played Sylvari ranger with a sword you will know what i’m talking about with the high kicks lol. RIP old animations.

Yeah, even though i’m happy with the new chain, the old Norn kick made me feel like a WWE superstar.

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

Sword change

in Ranger

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

I don’t have a parser, but I am seeing a definite loss in DPS with sword/dagger now.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Sword change

in Ranger

Posted by: Varezenem.2813

Varezenem.2813

I don’t have a parser, but I am seeing a definite loss in DPS with sword/dagger now.

DPS feels lower indeed.

Senbu Ren[Wind]
Herald of Ventari

Sword change

in Ranger

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I like that the sticking was removed (it was never enough to put me off using a sword but it was annoying at times), but I’m disappointed by the new animation.

The old one looked energetic and fun, and actually IMO fit the archetype of a ranger better, they weren’t just standing there using the sword like a fencer or even a warrior would, they were combining it with opportunistic attacks, making use of everything available to them.

This new one looks like she’s waving the sword around and hoping something gets in the way. It looks like me trying to use a sword in real life. (BTW I do not know how to use a sword in real life, I had 1 fencing lesson when I was 15 and I’ve held a few reproductions.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”