THE Power Build That Works

in Ranger

Posted by: Soilder.3607

Soilder.3607

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQNAR8YjIVF2JWCWs2Bg1DC9bw2DNtETXBUvYlVqA-jEyAoLioZCEMVYIaZvioxWILiGreBTXSEV7xLiWtQACGDA-w

Incase TL;DR – Yes, it works, and it works well.

1. Why this build? I am 100% confident that it is the most efficient power build rangers have for roaming and small group play. I have been playing it since August and am only posting it because I actually am tired of all the negativity associated with power rangers.

2. But why? Because, you have near warrior levels of tankiness (24.3k hp, 3,158 armor) in addition to solid stability uptime and the ability to have insane opening strike bursts (expect 7-9k mauls when SoW and SoH are popped). And to top it off, mobility rivaling that of a thief (no joke, traited GS and sword make for nasty swoop —> hornet’s sting/monarch’s leap combos) all combined with 2751 power. I HAVE outrun shortbow thieves with this build and greatsword warriors, so don’t underestimate it because it’s power.

3. Why Heal as One? If you don’t want to use this skill and prefer TU, then go ahead and change it. In fact, you can modify this build as much as you’d like. The only reason I take HaO is for the higher vigor uptime.

4. Can you expand on your survivability? Aside from base stats, S/D offers a solid amount of evasion spam in addition to a good ability to escape. The greatsword is made unique not only by it’s three second block and low cooldown gap closer/creator, but because if you miss the evade portion of your auto-attack, you get to recast it immediately, allowing for a solid two seconds of evasion per auto chain. Condition removal is a bit weak, as are most ranger builds, but you just have to play smart when going up against a condition class. Keep in mind that most condition builds use ranged weapons, so use GS#3 liberally.

5. I might be sold, but I’m afraid to try a power build. Don’t be afraid kitten it. I do agree that rangers need buff, especially power rangers, but they are not free bags. This build has the sustainability you need in addition to the dps. +25% damage for 8 seconds and +50% on next hit is not something to laugh at. Sure, I may not be zerk, but god knows a zerk ranger won’t last a second when focused. And if I am focused, I can just run away like the pretend thief/war I am.

6. Do you have any hard-counters? Yes, there are a few. If you run into a P/D thief, do not fight him. It becomes a very long fight of attrition that he WILL win. Franky, it is very unfair. No spec should have such an amazing ability to kite. But thieves are kittening thieves so that’s that. At first glance, D/P specs may seem impossible considering their blind fields, but they are not a huge threat. Just watch your positioning and know when to interrupt. Dire Staff PU mesmers are very broken so don’t even bother as well. 3 Kit condition engi is a tough fight, and mostly comes down to keeping you pet alive as much as possible, otherwise you will lose that condition removal and possibly cede the fights. When he swaps nades/bombs, always hop out of melee range and block/kite.

7. Can I use this in soloq/tPvP? Yes, you actually can. It works decently well because, in a nutshell, it can bring good pressure while having extreme mobility in addition to the ability to bunk points. If you do go pvp, I highly suggest you swap out HaO for healing spring because on point fights guarantee you’ll stand in the field for most of it’s duration, not to mention the help it gives your team. I have played this build extensively in both soloq and tPvP. It is NOT the most efficient ranger build for pvp (spirits duh), but that doesn’t mean it’s unviable (things like condition ele are unviable).

Lastly, if you haven’t played power builds before, you have to give it some time. I am telling you, it is a very good spec. Some minor tips before you go 1. Remember to use double evades on GS auto when needed 2. Don’t be afraid to stop attacking and hop out of melee range if you need to recover 3. This build isn’t the usual regen bm ranger, keeping your pets alive is a tougher challenge 4. Always start a fight with the snow leopard, reason being, the best way to ensure that the wolf’s howl will go off is to call him in mid fight WHILE standing still, and then IMMEDIATELY pressing f2 after pressing f4 5. Certain builds will hardcounter an all melee spec, and when you lose to them, don’t get kittened off. Just understand that hard counters are hard counters and that all specs have them. 6. Lastly, only use maul when both Signet of the Wild and Signet of the Hunt are triggered, unless you have more than 24 seconds of swiftness. This is because losing that speed buff in combat and allowing your opponent to more easily kite/run from doesn’t make up for the damage increase. However, with both signets popped, it really is one hell of a hit (crit or not).

Well, that’s it mates. Good luck and have fun.

Edit: This photo’s outdated, I have 1000+ hours.

Attachments:

Stormbluff Isle

(edited by Soilder.3607)

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Looks solid, thanks.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sevans.4619

Sevans.4619

It looks pretty solid. I don’t like a few things (Greatsword, No stunbreakers, crit chance, or crit damage,) but I imagine it does well despite that.

Saethe — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Maguuma

in Ranger

Soilder.3607

It looks pretty solid. I don’t like a few things (Greatsword, No stunbreakers, crit chance, or crit damage,) but I imagine it does well despite that.

The thing is, for a ranger power build to have sustain, you need to go soldier’s. You could go cleric’s and pick up some nice regen, but you’d lose out in a lot of damage. If you were to head knight’s, then, frankly, I wouldn’t find there to be suitable dps with the loss of survivability you’d face. And everyone knows a full zerk ranger can’t take much of a hit.

The reason I take greatsword is for it’s tremendous survivability value in addition to the fact that I can trait for it (can’t trait for bows without losing either signets or EB) and because maul sync’s well with SoH and SoW.

Stormbluff Isle

(edited by Soilder.3607)

in Ranger

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

Genuinely not sure if you’re serious or not, but I really am not sure how you kill anyone with a full PVT build.

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

God help us if this is the best power build this class has to offer.

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

I’ve run a pure power build in sPvP and just outlast people to death. It’s not the greatest thing ever, but I can definitely see how this build contributes to a team or simply outlasts someone. Especially in a WvW team the ranger in melee will be a hot target.

Unfortunately that’s what power is for most classes. Just slowly grind people because crit damage is risky. Many WvW warriors do peanuts for damage.

in Ranger

Soilder.3607

First off, I’m not saying this is godlike hambow status build.

Secondly, if you think this build is that bad, then please, 1v1 me. My IGN name is Elite Rouge (I know it’s spelt Rogue) and I’ll probably be on within the next few hours (client is downloading, deleted due to error issues). Just PM me in game and we can head to a dueling server.

Stormbluff Isle

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

A zerg warrior with none of the hammer stun, party buffs, dogged march, and less life and armor…

May or may not work but then why not just run a warrior? The GS does more damage, it has more mobility with GS/S-WH, and Healsig offers much better sustain.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

Soilder.3607

A zerg warrior with none of the hammer stun, party buffs, dogged march, and less life and armor…

May or may not work but then why not just run a warrior? The GS does more damage, it has more mobility with GS/S-WH, and Healsig offers much better sustain.

I said this build was for roaming and small group play only.

Rangers don’t belong in zergs.

Stormbluff Isle

in Ranger

Posted by: Sneakier.9460

Sneakier.9460

Oh god, don’t force ppl with a PVT build, its good for PVE when you can’t crit bosses and need to survive.

I rather play a zerker longbow build in WvW than go PVT

Gunnars Hold= Tuga Land

in Ranger

Posted by: warriorjrd.8695

warriorjrd.8695

The build is an old signet build, simple yet effective. Conditions WILL be your downfall, empathic bond or not, which is why signets aren’t as effective as assumed. Yes your first hit will be big, 6 might stacks + signet buffs from SoW and SoH, but after that it’s a war of attrition, I ran this before in spvp and fights never ended, unless I faced conditions.

The thing is there are builds that can bunker better than this, which is good for staying @ home point in tpvp, and then there are more damaging builds whether it by power or condi. A trapper build would destroy anybody running this, and so would a beastmaster bunker, both better builds imo for spvp/tpvp. WvW however, signets are very good all around.

Edit: looking at the new link you posted and seeing it’s wvw based I can give more input. S/D for wvw is horrible for frontline zerging so you would want to ditch that. For roaming, again conditions will end you faster than anything. I’m sorry but a signet ranger is a warrior that does less damage, CC, and has less survivability. A full PVT ranger is not accessing it’s already limited strengths. And I know this from experience in wvw, and on a ranger.

It is not what you do, but how and why you do it that counts.

(edited by warriorjrd.8695)

in Ranger

Posted by: aussieheals.6843

aussieheals.6843

IGN: Aussie Archer

in Ranger

Soilder.3607

The build is an old signet build, simple yet effective. Conditions WILL be your downfall, empathic bond or not, which is why signets aren’t as effective as assumed. Yes your first hit will be big, 6 might stacks + signet buffs from SoW and SoH, but after that it’s a war of attrition, I ran this before in spvp and fights never ended, unless I faced conditions.

The thing is there are builds that can bunker better than this, which is good for staying @ home point in tpvp, and then there are more damaging builds whether it by power or condi. A trapper build would destroy anybody running this, and so would a beastmaster bunker, both better builds imo for spvp/tpvp. WvW however, signets are very good all around.

Edit: looking at the new link you posted and seeing it’s wvw based I can give more input. S/D for wvw is horrible for frontline zerging so you would want to ditch that. For roaming, again conditions will end you faster than anything. I’m sorry but a signet ranger is a warrior that does less damage, CC, and has less survivability. A full PVT ranger is not accessing it’s already limited strengths. And I know this from experience in wvw, and on a ranger.

You really don’t know this build at all. It’s NOT a battle of attrition. It gets dps. It doesn’t get zerk because zerk rangers can’t sustain. Condition builds are tough for any ranger, this fact isn’t unique at all for my build. Considering that the majority of condition builds are ranged, I have a very good amount of block uptime from counterattack to help me handle that. When played well enough, only certain cd builds are an auto death sentence, specifically the ones I mentioned previously.

Everyone in this thread is very much underestimating the build. Don’t tell me I don’t know it well enough because I have played it inside and out over the last half year. It is ALL I play when I play ranger.

I think it’s time you all drop the training wheels and actually try to run something other than regen bm or any cd build for that matter.

And once again, I said that this build is not for zerging. Please read.

Stormbluff Isle

in Ranger

Posted by: Carpboy.7145

Carpboy.7145

Ogre runes dont really make sense. +4% of bad Dps is still bad DPS. Resistance on the other hand synergies extremely well, especially since you said you have trouble with condis

The Use of the Word ‘Cheese’
Lyss The Shadow
Legendary Champion of DB [EDGE]

in Ranger

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

Specify for WvW. This will not work so hot in sPvP. You might try immob spider over the snow leopard (though I understand the burst DPS is higher with snow leopard with the guaranteed crit). Personally, I still find full zerker signets the way to go (if you don’t want to go tanky condis) in WvW. I love full melee power ranger but I can’t imagine not having a ranged weapon when I get low. And that is the difference between sPvP and WvW. In PvP no ranged weapon will = death in a team fight but in WvW it’s fine because you can just peel out of combat to heal up. Solid build, I would suggest a mixture of knight’s rather that full PVT.

(edited by Eurantien.4632)

in Ranger

Posted by: JoxerNL.3752

JoxerNL.3752

The negativity in this thread is astounding, people need to lighten up a little here.
@OP I’ll give it a shot, it definitely looks interesting.

in Ranger

Posted by: excelsior.2168

excelsior.2168

No, it isn’t.

I have been using the Knight’s variant of this build and it has worked really well. I did change some of the utilities, sigils and all to make the build fit my play style. But this video gave me hope that rangers can be in zergs and do damage and stay alive. Again, credit to the OP. For the life of me, I can’t remember their name.

A link to a forum where they discuss the build in detail.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/84933-sentinel-frontliner-next-level-wvw-ranger-guide/

@OP Build seems good. I would say I’d give it a try but I have no money to get new armor for my ranger. Saving up for a legendary. It might not fit my play style. To each their own.

Excelsior Longfello-Human Mesmer [OMFG]
Woodshavings-Sylvari Ranger [WIND]

in Ranger

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

I wish i could do the math for this. I have been using a power build also but it has more crit chance/crit damage. I can’t log in atm but when I do I will post it. I am curious which one would do more damage, both burst and sustain …hence the math.

For WvW though I still would prefer LB with GS. In tight melee 100% of the time with no regen is a tough go imo.

Props though for trying this. Don’t listen to the naysayers.

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

in Ranger

Posted by: DeathPanel.8362

DeathPanel.8362

Isn’t this just a zerg warrior build with less hp, armor, sustain, stunbreak, and cc?

in Ranger

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

If I were to run Heal as One, I’d roll with dwayna runes. Regeneration from it is quite nice.

But honestly, what’s your role? Your pet is too slow to keep on with mobile opponent (felines are terrible at it), you’re tank and hit maybe for 2-3k on maul. You don’t have stunbreakers, you rely on burst from SoW when you have no burst.
Yes, I tried something very similar, it’s okay when it comes to zerg blob, but don’t tell me it will kill any decent player in 1vX roaming.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Ranger

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

I don’t know what the hell can we kill in normal time without critical dmgs.
Frogs maybe?

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

in Ranger

Posted by: Norjena.5172

Norjena.5172

Way too much PVT and bad runes, ogre is rly bad.

4% critical chance and no critdmg, just LoL. This is build is only for trolling but not usefull in teamplay. If any other will get focused u can stay afk, it will be the same because u do zero dmg and support.

U can´t say a build is good because u can stay alive. Better play a healway guardian, more tanky, and at least usefull.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sol.4310

Sol.4310

Secondly, if you think this build is that bad, then please, 1v1 me. My IGN name is Elite Rouge (I know it’s spelt Rogue) and I’ll probably be on within the next few hours (client is downloading, deleted due to error issues). Just PM me in game and we can head to a dueling server.

Whatever build you been running in SPvP isn’t working for you. I ran into you other day while fighting someone else 1v1 on a point, I changed target killed you stomped you then finished winning the point fight..

Saizo Sol – Ranger
Twitch – Aussie Streamer

in Ranger

Soilder.3607

Whatever build you been running in SPvP isn’t working for you. I ran into you other day while fighting someone else 1v1 on a point, I changed target killed you stomped you then finished winning the point fight..

Yea sure. I don’t recognize your name and I highly doubt I’d lose a 2v1 (the 1 being you)

But please, 1v1 me mate.

And people, please just try the kittening build. If it sucked kitten and gets me 100% stomp, I wouldn’t be posting it. People tell me I’m very good and are shocked to hell that I run a power build.

And I already said this build was for just small group play and roaming. I KNOW a soldiers guardian or warrior or maybe even ele will bring more to the table, I’m just posting so us ranger lovers can actually play our kittening class.

Stormbluff Isle

(edited by Soilder.3607)

in Ranger

Posted by: george.4502

george.4502

@OP I’ve met you in game before. (I was that new guardian that was lost in obsidian sanctum and asked you a bunch of ranger questions(hopefully you remember?)) I can vouch for him and his build. He was 1v1 against a D/P thief. He gave the Thief a hard time. He almost killed him too but that kitten thief and his perma stealth of gayness…anyway…he put up a good long fight with the thief but in the end the thief won. Point I’m trying to make is that he said this build is not for zerging and that you CAN play it for spvp/tpvp if you really want to not that you have to. I personally saw this build in action and I would recommend it. All builds have counters and and there is no perfect build. Conditions are tough on rangers (but so are they on mesmers, wheres the rage for that) You can modify this build to be a harder counter to condis if you like. (no one is telling you not to change the build) Personally I do like the 30 in wilderness survival for condi removal over having to take SoR. I like what you did especially with the position rangers are currently in. (Don’t think rangers have it bad? Rangers just won CDI with a landslide victory) Personally I do think you should have range in there somewhere…Although GS 3 and Sword 2 make excellent gap closers. Also I really think you should change your runes. The 4% bonus damage is nice I guess but not worth the 6 runes IMO..someone mentioned earlier 2 good ones: Rune of Dwayna and Rune of Resistance. They are both good since HaO is pretty spamable. Id personally go with rune of resistance since I barely see many people go with that and get -20% condi duration on you on top of that you would get a free aegis on signet use (which this build relies on) which gives us more options to negate an attack. (you can usually use SoH twice before you can pull off your SoH SoW maul combo(to anyone who has never been hit by this combo, regardless of crit damage or not it hits harder.VERY hard)) In addition if you use rampage as one you get that fury which lets you crit (again even without crit damage, crit attacks are still devastating (although not as devastating as critdamage crit attacks but none the less still freighting to get hit by) Personally I support the use of HaO. I never liked troll ungent or HS. Yes they have their own benefits but IMO, in combat TU doesn’t heal fast enough to save your self from being bursted down, HS is nice but if you want the full benefit you would have to stay in the spring then combo off of it and even then the regen can be popped off easily. Again these are just my thoughts and opinions. Props to OP

in Ranger

Posted by: JorneMormel.9850

JorneMormel.9850

Have you considered using a Sigil of Intelligence on the Greatsword? It is great for opening with Maul, and pretty reliable at that.

Thank you for sharing this solid build, even though it is not exactly my cup of tea.

Mysterious Old Geek
Co-founder of Flying Pink Unicorns [PWNY], Ring of Fire

in Ranger

Posted by: Sevans.4619

Sevans.4619

The thing is, for a ranger power build to have sustain, you need to go soldier’s. You could go cleric’s and pick up some nice regen, but you’d lose out in a lot of damage. If you were to head knight’s, then, frankly, I wouldn’t find there to be suitable dps with the loss of survivability you’d face. And everyone knows a full zerk ranger can’t take much of a hit.

The reason I take greatsword is for it’s tremendous survivability value in addition to the fact that I can trait for it (can’t trait for bows without losing either signets or EB) and because maul sync’s well with SoH and SoW.

I dunno, man. Ranger can sustain pretty well from smart use of their built-in dodges, vigor uptime, and things like GS#4 or LB#3/4. And because of how strong Troll Unguent is, you also don’t need stacked healing power like many people run, it’s just padding.

I do think that, if Greatsword shines, it shines in a signet build. Maul is really the only skill we have that’s going to take full advantage of SotH active. Problem is getting Maul to hit consistently.

Also, I do feel like people are being a bit too negative in here. Don’t let them get you down.

Saethe — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: solrik.6028

solrik.6028

I was about to give an unexperienced feedback about this build but then I decided I would try it for a few hours.

Note that I play a build with full Cleric gear and 3 signets (Renewal, Hunt and Wild). Have been using it a lot and have been focusing on learning when to apply poison because most damage comes from poison. This, used efficiently, allows me to kill any other bunker build by applying trash conditions (the ones that are cleansed first) before poison. It’s very difficult to do in some cases because one little mistake can add minutes to an otherwise very short fight.

Back to your build;
It’s lacking survival. It has a one time burst which is very often ruined by, as others said before, aegis, blocks, blind and anything else that nullifies the attack.

The GS double evade is useful, yet very difficult to use, only in 1v1 and if you aren’t fighting more than 1 enemy (I.e. enemy player + pet, minion, etc.)

There is almost zero recovery because the healing skill heals very little and the high health pool is more like a one time anti-burst, because you’re never going to have full health more than once in a fight.

Conditions are a nightmare because they just eat the HP while Empathic Bond is on 10s cooldown.

To be honest, it feels more like a “Hello, I’m a punching bag, please punch me to death while I try to punch you without really hurting you” build.

Damage comparison;
The cleric gear does very little damage and soldier gear does a little more after the initial burst which isn’t really a bonus because it was gained by sacrificing recovery.

Maul itself doesn’t output much more damage but that doesn’t matter for me because I mostly use it to make my enemy waste and evade.

What I would like to see if someone came up with a build that has about 20% crit chance (plus fury if warhorn is used) without sacrificing a lot of healing power/toughness. The cleric’s build is a lot stronger when fury is applied.

in Ranger

Posted by: Expiatus.4210

Expiatus.4210

Solrik – Does this meet your intentions?
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQNBhYDbEoqwuvSwi1OQseQI/MI+B+/Uke2fxKrUB-jUyAorkh2EkJRBiKBnFLiGbFsIas6FMdJRUt/oIa1SBExCA-w

Crit chance can be adjusted/traded for healing.

Anvil Rock – Out manned, out gunned and no repair costs, so Leeroy up and dive in.
See you in Tyria.

in Ranger

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

this build doesnt and cant work objectively speaking because you have zero on-demand condi cleanse. and all that power is useless when you have no crit…damage is still kitten poor. in addition to that, you have NO UTILITY. NONE.

Again, credit to the OP. For the life of me, I can’t remember their name.

hi, i still lurk the ranger forums. i’ll be contributing lots to the upcoming ranger CDI.

(edited by mistsim.2748)

in Ranger

Posted by: Noobie.1073

Noobie.1073

It’s nice to see people trying stuff on their own and if it works for them its really all that matters. I know for a fact it won’t work for me, but I trust you when you say it works for you.

Rangers in general need an overhaul and you’re definitely doing your part in making sure that happens, but TBH, one of the reasons why rangers have not received much attention is because it is so diverse as a class. ANET believes that diversity makes the ranger a utility class that can do “all of the above, but not better than any of the above”. So in theory, because rangers can “do it all” they are in a good spot.

Hopefully do something drastic and give the pets a 10 sec righteous indignation upon swap or something

I Cha Cha I – Mediocre Ranger at best
Mao Xiong – Worst Warrior GW2

in Ranger

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

Hopefully do something drastic and give the pets a 10 sec righteous indignation upon swap or something

thats actually a pretty kitten good short term solution that should be utilized for WvW only. each pet attack should cleave and small KB for 5-10 seconds.

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

10 sec righteous indignation upon swap… each pet attack should cleave and small KB for 5-10 seconds.

Aaaand welcome to making all other classes completely obsolete.

“WvW guild recruiting, nightly guild raids, ONLY RANGERS.”

in Ranger

Posted by: Sol.4310

Sol.4310

Yea sure. I don’t recognize your name and I highly doubt I’d lose a 2v1 (the 1 being you)

But please, 1v1 me mate.

And people, please just try the kittening build. If it sucked kitten and gets me 100% stomp, I wouldn’t be posting it. People tell me I’m very good and are shocked to hell that I run a power build.

And I already said this build was for just small group play and roaming. I KNOW a soldiers guardian or warrior or maybe even ele will bring more to the table, I’m just posting so us ranger lovers can actually play our kittening class.

Dude it was you cause the very next game I got stuck on your team, this isn’t WvW power builds DO NOT WORK IN SPVP! You can keep telling yourself they do but they don’t trust me.

Look I shouldn’t be talking kitten to ya, you found build you enjoy and that’s cool mate. Hopefully with upcoming focus on Ranger’s you can throw some idea’s towards Anet, and help them get power ranger working better in place’s like SPvP where its more or less useless.

Saizo Sol – Ranger
Twitch – Aussie Streamer

(edited by Sol.4310)

in Ranger

Posted by: warriorjrd.8695

warriorjrd.8695

You really don’t know this build at all. It’s NOT a battle of attrition. It gets dps. It doesn’t get zerk because zerk rangers can’t sustain. Condition builds are tough for any ranger, this fact isn’t unique at all for my build. Considering that the majority of condition builds are ranged, I have a very good amount of block uptime from counterattack to help me handle that. When played well enough, only certain cd builds are an auto death sentence, specifically the ones I mentioned previously.

Everyone in this thread is very much underestimating the build. Don’t tell me I don’t know it well enough because I have played it inside and out over the last half year. It is ALL I play when I play ranger.

I think it’s time you all drop the training wheels and actually try to run something other than regen bm or any cd build for that matter.

And once again, I said that this build is not for zerging. Please read.

I don’t know why you’re getting defensive, I didn’t say you’re a bad player but the build isn’t that hot. I’m sorry to inform you but I did run this before and when you have 0 crit damage and 4 crit chance, it is a battle of attrition. You have no condition cleanse aside from EB, so any competent condi build will destroy you, period. Signet’s don’t really shine for roaming that much, infact, ranger signets aren’t that hot at all seeing as you have to put 30 into a line just to use them.

I would like to duel you if that’s alright, I trust your skill as a ranger, but I’m eager to see if you can follow through with this build. Who knows, maybe things have changed since I ran it. If you beat me, good on ya, I wouldn’t mind being proven wrong as it shows rangers have an extra build to try. If you lose, then take advice from a veteran ranger and look into some other areas and play to ranger’s strengths. Full PVT generally isn’t one of said strengths, but we’ll see

Attachments:

It is not what you do, but how and why you do it that counts.

in Ranger

Soilder.3607

But please, 1v1 me mate.

Dude it was you cause the very next game I got stuck on your team, this isn’t WvW power builds DO NOT WORK IN SPVP! You can keep telling yourself they do but they don’t trust me.

Look I shouldn’t be talking kitten to ya, you found build you enjoy and that’s cool mate. Hopefully with upcoming focus on Ranger’s you can throw some idea’s towards Anet, and help them get power ranger working better in place’s like SPvP where its more or less useless.

Well, you are competely wrong because the build does work. Does it work meta level? No, absolutely not. Can you run this build and do well? Yes, you can.

Everyone has simply gone along with the meta and is afraid to try anything subpar. Just because something is subpar doesn’t mean it’s complete trash free loot. I’m not reinventing the bar here with ranger power builds nor raising it, but I’m giving you a build that actually will work. Just try it out and give it and time. I can point to every single ranger build ever made and make out numerous flaws, because they all have them.

Swear to god this is the most hostile forum I’ve been on. No wonder no one likes us.

Stormbluff Isle

in Ranger

Cufufalating.8479

I didnt mean to be rude in my previous post, but I think the problem people have with this build is that you’ve basicly just taking full PVT and then said you’re realyl hard to kill.

Umm… Yeah? Any class can go in full PVT and be hard to kill. Its the same as the build someone posted the other day about how the LB can do good damage and then procceeded to post a full berserker build. Again, no kitten, any class with any weapon can deal huge damage in full zerker. Thats not the issue, the issue is what does doing it on a ranger provide that doing it on another class doesnt? Thats really what people are looking for, and its not something you answer.

Gunnar’s Hold

in Ranger

solrik.6028

The build is okay, it has it’s flaws. Mainly the fact that you can’t really recover from damage.

You can obviously do well with the build, but your health pool is just a initial bonus. Like a shield that can be depleted but won’t recharge until you leave combat.

24k health, 6k heal. A fourth of your HP. I’d rather have 17k HP and 10k heal. Sure, a theif would get me to 5-8k HP but I would get it back up to full after a few seconds.

The problem is that everyone says what they want, without backing it up with anything. If you played sPvP and recorded it, then upload it to youtube, people would see how well it does (if it is as good as you claim.)

in Ranger

Posted by: Expiatus.4210

Expiatus.4210

OP, I can say this much regarding this thread – thank you for generating much needed discussion about Ranger builds. It is a good thing for the Ranger community to propose different traits, armor load-outs, etc. Yes, there is much work that needs to be done on the profession, but getting us thinking is always good.

Anvil Rock – Out manned, out gunned and no repair costs, so Leeroy up and dive in.
See you in Tyria.

in Ranger

Forzani.2584

24k health, 6k heal. A fourth of your HP. I’d rather have 17k HP and 10k heal. Sure, a theif would get me to 5-8k HP but I would get it back up to full after a few seconds.

How about a 9k health and a 7k heal? That must be even better, right?

I will take the 24k health and 6k heal thanks

Crazy logic imo

in Ranger

Posted by: gpassucc.5961

gpassucc.5961

Crazy logic imo

You got crit by math for 50k.
You died.

[EG] – SoR – Persies Sunreaver (war),
Persiës Sunreaver (ele), Persiës (ranger),
Gromphe Baenre (necro), Përsies (guard)

in Ranger

Cufufalating.8479

Crazy logic imo

Well done on using a straw man argument to try prove someone wrong. Solrik makes a good point that having a high health pool and low healing only benifits you for roughly the first minute of a fight, and after that you are at a disadvantage compared to someone with lower base health but higher healing.

Of cause taken to extremes have 9k health and 7k heal is rubbish, just the same as having 35k health and 0 healing would be rubbish.

Theres clearly a balance to be had and this build goes very strongly to the high health low healing end which does come with disadvantages (and advantages too). The problem is that with low DPS, this build is likely to end up in long engagements often thus making a high health low healing setup sub-optimal, even though it does allow you to maintain pressure and survive bursts in the short term.

Gunnar’s Hold

in Ranger

Posted by: ItIsFinished.9462

ItIsFinished.9462

My Ranger build brings all the boys to the yard
And they’re like, it’s better than yours
kitten right, it’s better than yours
I could teach you but I have to charge

Sorry, I had to.

Arrow Slanger »—> »—> »—>
The Never Ending Repertoire of Ranger Builds
Salt of the Earth {SALT} Crystal Desert© ~~Dragon Rank~~

in Ranger

Forzani.2584

Crazy logic imo

Well done on using a straw man argument to try prove someone wrong. Solrik makes a good point that having a high health pool and low healing only benifits you for roughly the first minute of a fight, and after that you are at a disadvantage compared to someone with lower base health but higher healing.

Of cause taken to extremes have 9k health and 7k heal is rubbish, just the same as having 35k health and 0 healing would be rubbish.

Theres clearly a balance to be had and this build goes very strongly to the high health low healing end which does come with disadvantages (and advantages too). The problem is that with low DPS, this build is likely to end up in long engagements often thus making a high health low healing setup sub-optimal, even though it does allow you to maintain pressure and survive bursts in the short term.

Strawman? How about hyperbole? First thing, I am impartial to his build. I am not defending it or promoting it.The only thing that I was trying to prove was a blanket statement saying that a lower health larger heal was better IS rubbish……. 24k health, 6k heal. A fourth of your HP. I’d rather have 17k HP and 10k heal. Sure, a theif would get me to 5-8k HP but I would get it back up to full after a few seconds.

Sorry, that statement is flawed. It’s like saying you would prefer to make 30k a year rather than 300k a year because you are taxed less.

Still, I understand your theory. How long will the fight last. What is your toughness. What are the timers on the heals. Do you have any other passive heals running. Are you(or enemy) a kiter. Do you have room to kite. Are you able to dispel poison frequently. ..etc etc

For a little more accuracy though take the original build listed, change out armor/trinkets and compare the results.

Original build. 24,363 HPs, 0 Healing, 6520 HaO, 62 SotW, 1936 Maul
With Cleric armor/trinkets – 18,062 HPs, 801 healing, 7321 HaO, 110 SotW, 1752 Maul
(I don’t see a 4k heal difference as quoted earlier)

So after 70 seconds, the Cleric gear will beat the Soldiers for effective HPs….(but do less damage.)

in Ranger

Cufufalating.8479

I agree with you now. Would have been nice of you to say that from the start rather than just continuing solrik’s mistake of making general sweeping statements which add little to anything.

Anyway I am going to leave this thread I feel its getting too intense and I am likely not helping. \o7

Gunnar’s Hold

in Ranger

solrik.6028

Strawman? How about hyperbole? First thing, I am impartial to his build. I am not defending it or promoting it.The only thing that I was trying to prove was a blanket statement saying that a lower health larger heal was better IS rubbish……. 24k health, 6k heal. A fourth of your HP. I’d rather have 17k HP and 10k heal. Sure, a theif would get me to 5-8k HP but I would get it back up to full after a few seconds.

Sorry, that statement is flawed. It’s like saying you would prefer to make 30k a year rather than 300k a year because you are taxed less.

Still, I understand your theory. How long will the fight last. What is your toughness. What are the timers on the heals. Do you have any other passive heals running. Are you(or enemy) a kiter. Do you have room to kite. Are you able to dispel poison frequently. ..etc etc

For a little more accuracy though take the original build listed, change out armor/trinkets and compare the results.

With Cleric armor/trinkets – 18,062 HPs, 801 healing, 7321 HaO, 110 SotW, 1752 Maul

So after 70 seconds, the Cleric gear will beat the Soldiers for effective HPs….(but do less damage.)

I gave an example of less vit more healing power. You responded with exaggearated examples that weren’t realistic.

Both builds have the same weapons, same traits, same everything except for gear.

I simply lack those fancy words to explain it so I will make it really simple:

The more vitality you have, the less each hitpoint healed is worth.

Having a high vitality makes the player a punching bag that will break because it can’t recover fast enough.

Having a high recovery rate makes the player a less durable punching bag that can recover fast enough so that it won’t break.

If Vit or Heal Pow should be used is only determined if 24k hp will save you or not. The healing from Signet of The Wild is doubled, which (if using HaO) provide 2k health instead of 1k. A thief can in no way backstab from over 17k which means that IF a thief backstabs for I don’t know how much damage, the player can recover by a massive amount of healing that actually makes enough difference to turn the battle, while the soldier’s gear heals so little that it barely makes any difference…

Anyway, just look into the past and you will see that builds with Soldier’s gear has great flaws. Cleric/Apoth has too, but not game-changing. Healing Power synergises better with Ranger’s traits that Vitality.

in Ranger

Posted by: excelsior.2168

excelsior.2168

this build doesnt and cant work objectively speaking because you have zero on-demand condi cleanse. and all that power is useless when you have no crit…damage is still kitten poor. in addition to that, you have NO UTILITY. NONE.

Again, credit to the OP. For the life of me, I can’t remember their name.

hi, i still lurk the ranger forums. i’ll be contributing lots to the upcoming ranger CDI.

Oh Snap! You’re on Mag now! It’s like meeting your hero! Lol. But no, seriously so glad I stumbled on your build and convinced my brother to try it too (though now he’s switched to a condi trap ranger). But your build is great.

Excelsior Longfello-Human Mesmer [OMFG]
Woodshavings-Sylvari Ranger [WIND]

in Ranger

Forzani.2584

I gave an example of less vit more healing power. You responded with exaggearated examples that weren’t realistic.

The more vitality you have, the less each hitpoint healed is worth.

Having a high vitality makes the player a punching bag that will break because it can’t recover fast enough.

,………………………………………………………………………

I don’t really disagree with you. I just thought your example wasn’t realistic …and by comparing the builds it wasn’t. I also don’t think it was as cut and dry as you made it out to be …which it isn’t.

in Ranger

Soilder.3607

Mates, debate not in this thread but in the video thread I posted. There you can actually see the build in action and judge for yourself.

Stormbluff Isle