Thoughts on nonexistent Druid specializations

in Ranger

Posted by: EthanLightheart.9168

EthanLightheart.9168

I just tried out the nonexistent druid specialization and must say, it’svery cool. Do you like it as well?

in Ranger

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

I just tried out the nonexistent druid specialization and must say, it’svery cool. Do you like it as well?

Enjoy it now, you know it will be nerfed soon enough.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

in Ranger

Posted by: FrouFrou.4958

FrouFrou.4958

I think druid is in a very good spot, the transition from vanilla ranger to druid is very smooth and fluid as you don’t really even feel the difference.

Froudactyl // Herp Derp Druid // Judge Legends [JDGE] // Seafarer’s Rest

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

It needs to be kittening good, PvP is imposible this weekend on a ranger becuase of all these elite specs and their obvious power creep messing everything up.

in Ranger

Posted by: lordhelmos.7623

lordhelmos.7623

Ventari 2.0, calling it now

in Ranger

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

The great thing about playing the non-existant druid specialization is, that – compared to other specializations – you still earn loot and achievements.

Clearly overpowered and unfair – but as we all know this follows rule #2 of MMOs:

“Exploit early, exploit often.”

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

I love it. Aspects work nicely and caught me by surprise. The Pet aspect is by far the strongest, forcing pet mechanics onto another player, and by killing it, you disable all of their [F] skills for 60s.

The Ranger aspect is pretty OP imo and needs toning down. Using it makes targets unable to dodge while executing an attack and drops their power coefficients significantly.

The 3rd aspect isn’t much to write home about. It just buffs underwater speed and damage. Kind of confusing to use the Aqua aspect in the new area but any oasis I could find wasn’t deep enough to swim in. I also tried jumping into a Tempest’s water overcharge to see if it would proc but it wouldn’t, so I reported it as a bug.

Overall, pretty satisfied. Can’t wait for the next elite spec!

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

in Ranger

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

I hate it. It didn’t address any of the things we wanted. Weh weh weh, rip GW2, Anet losing a customer here, no inclusion of shopping list of changes (or if it does and I didn’t notice, the spec is too necessary and a band-aid for a broken blahblahblah)

Also the name is so stupid (isn’t every character in this game a druid, really? Druids are basically gardeners and we’re all going off to fight an army of plants)

in Ranger

Posted by: Ithurien.3652

Ithurien.3652

Just finished running around on my new druid. The bear and feral cat forms were fun (and pretty OP – perma stealth on cat?) but there was a stupid fat owl-thing form that shot lasers that was clearly some sort of joke by the devs. Also, the beta zone (some place called Asswrath, no idea why) actually seemed to have much worse graphics than anywhere else I’ve seen in game, and no waypoints at all. Clearly still a lot of work to be done there. I frankly question whether it’s ready for primetime, it really doesn’t look like it’d ever be popular in its current state.

in Ranger

Puck.9612

I was just really upset that the underwater form wasn’t a shark with a laser beam on it’s head… Instead they gave us a friggin sea bass. Who the heck wants to be a sea bass?

in Ranger

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

I was just really upset that the underwater form wasn’t a shark with a laser beam on it’s head… Instead they gave us a friggin sea bass. Who the heck wants to be a sea bass?

I’d prefer sea lead guitar but this is meant to be a support spec. =P

Edit Comparison skills not strong tonight

in Ranger

Posted by: Aleksander Suburb.4287

Aleksander Suburb.4287

I hate the druid spec. Just one pet for the whole jungle, kitten -.-

Guild Wars balancing concept: Never change a ruined system!

in Ranger

Posted by: felixdacat.3804

felixdacat.3804

Guys, just remember this is for everyone to test out the Druid and ANet will tweak some numbers to make sure we’re good to go on Oct. 23.

in Ranger

Posted by: Bryzy.2719

Bryzy.2719

So I just finished my first round of BWE Druid testing, and all I’d say is that whatever we can do, HERALD DOES IT BETTER.

Also got kicked from 70 dungeons and my pet still stands still to cast underwhelming F2s

in Ranger

Posted by: Darkness.9732

Darkness.9732

I’ ve tried out the non existant druid spec. And i can say everything else is better

in Ranger

Posted by: DoogySnowStalker.2069

DoogySnowStalker.2069

Is this real life? We have more access towards actual group buffs, giving more of a reason to bring a Ranger? Oh my lawd. Although, would have to agree that herald does it better sadly. Also, expect a nerf since people will realize we got something good again :/

Is a Warrior just a pet without a Ranger?

(edited by DoogySnowStalker.2069)

in Ranger

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

as of right now, druid is in a far better spot than berserker. Pet does more damage than all the burning it can muster, and it has more aoe.

druid is on chronomancer level

in Ranger

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

I found druid interesting. I was able to tame the from people of verdant brink. Which made fighting the mordremoth much easier, when I could turn the whole jungle against them. I did find they our dodges could use some work, the new aspect based dodges are interesting, but dodging like a bird wasn’t awe inspiring. Maybe give the dodges the warrior gs5 animation. I also found that sacrificing my pet in a blood ritual to be a strange mechanic and felt more in line with necromancer magic. Please consider censoring the actual sacrifice. It would also be nice if we didn’t need to use off-hand dagger for the ritual, I’d like to use the staff I was given to beat the pet for the ritual. It may not be as quick, but at least I get to make good use of the new weapon.

in Ranger

Posted by: Salamander.2504

Salamander.2504

Played 20+ matches today (speccing GM trait "Puppy Training). In PvE, I didn’t find it very useful, but it was great for +1ing fights in PvP. I waited on point (in Foefire) until the enemy d/d ele came to contest; when they were within F2 range, I popped Puppy Training and tamed their d/d ele onto our team. 6v4 for the next 45 seconds? I’ll take it. We ended up losing the game because it wore off when the ele was defending our lord alone.

in Ranger

Posted by: EthanLightheart.9168

EthanLightheart.9168

Hahaha guys u made my day!

in Ranger

Posted by: arnitheking.8427

arnitheking.8427

hi,

I like the brand new taming skill that allows you to tame other players! So far I’ve managed to tame 2 revenants 3 warriors 2 mesmers 2 necros 1 guard 1 other ranger (who himself tamed his best friend) 1 thief 1 engi and 857 eles.

I also enjoyed the staff abilities, I always wanted to have a “botanical garden mini set” when I was small (and very quaggan-like), now gw 2 offers me the possibility to summon flowers and trees without even lifting a finger (except for the one I use to cast the ability). These abilities are clearly meant for war, just as the name “guild wars 2” suggests, I liked how my enemies fled at the sight of my amazing “rose petal shower” (ability 3)

I also like the way this elite spec focussed massively on the already overpowered ranger pet! to buff the pet AI even further, they completely eliminated pet movement!! how awesome is that? I played some ventari revenant and had the time of my life (at least I thought so) but then THIS!

A ranger pet that works like a ventari tablet, it’s just magnificent!!! In fact, the “pet” was now renamed to “tablet”, which is nice. I then proceeded to use the ventari revenant “pet- tablet” that I tamed earlier in wvw,
(RIP far shiverpeaks bronze- veteran, 2015-2015)
because why have one “tablet” if you can have 2? (same goes for pharmaceutical dr?gs too it seems) (not sure if this can get me banned I hope not)

I also like how they addressed the sword auto attack issue by locking you COMPLETELY into it! this way you dont even have to ATTEMPT to dodge out, there is no way to stop autoattacking anyways! Instead , you can focus on more important things such as repeatedly hitting your head with a banana peel.

Finally, I also loved the new mosquito “pet-tablet” and it’s ability to sting your opponent.
The malaria debuff you may apply on them is fantastic for pvp!

See you next week for the next “non-existant druid review”!

have a blast

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

If you’re here Ethan, try and change the topic to something like:
[Feedback] BWE2 Druid Impressions

Impressions:

Mechanic
I am aware that this is a beta, but is the mechanic even finished and will it be ready for launch by October 23rd? The cast times on the pet mechanic are much too long to justify some (most) of the skill effects. Also, the pathing and general responsiveness is horrendous. The mechanic seems almost like starter area (in the base game) was tacked on to a class at the last second and then changed to an ally at the very last second.
Hopefully though, because this was just a beta, either this is just a temporary mechanic, or there will be a ton of changes and iterations to the AI and skill responsiveness and effects of the mechanic.

Traits:
Quite a few of these traits are served the injustice of being tied to these unfinished feeling utilities (more on that later). Additionally, certain traits, like giving a random chance to destroy projectiles to sword or making axe’s chill AoE, are incredibly basic, beta level traits that need some serious up-tuning in order to ever justify their slots. Also, there seems to be a whole ton of damage modifiers missing, especially when compared to every other class, and the class itself doesn’t exactly stack boons on itself or anything either. That is definitely something that needs to be looked at before the live version of the game.

Utilities:
So, there are Survival utilities, Signets, maybe a spirit or two for exclusively PvE, and then just garbage utilities, pure garbage. Traps will never make ranger compete against something like engineer who just facerolls out the same sort of conditions at a higher rate and intensity than ranger can ever hope to, and Dhuumfire Reaper is a nightmare of a condition spec, along with mesmer and really anything else with heavy condition oriented combat. Spirits are immobile and for some reason have active PBAoE effects which makes them terrible by design, and the passives aren’t worth the slot the skills take up. Shouts…. Just wow.
Good thing all of these utilities are still in beta, because ANet, you definitely need this time to make these utilities worthwhile.

Weapons:

• Longbow-Good weapon, ANet, you managed to get one right for this BWE. Don’t change a thing.
  • Greatsword-The autoattack chain is awful, but the rest of the weapon kit is pretty decent, although hilt bash only reaches about 200 of the 300 range it lists. Fix this bug before Druid goes live.
  • Axe-What is this weapon trying to be? It has range but can’t do anything at range, it has no conditions on autoattack even though the damage of this weapon is clearly favoring conditions, and the secondary effect on the axe is only as reliable as the mechanic, so aka, not reliable.
  • Sword-This is a great weapon, outside of the ridiculous autoattack chain animation binding you. Does this weapon even need this sort of treatment? It makes it very clunky and hard to use, even after you get used to it, because you have to use it either situationally or all in.
  • Shortbow- Horrible weapon. Outside of the autoattack and 5, the rest of the skills are boring, don’t really work well or add much to the ability of the weapon to do anything (shortbow 4 and the bleeds are so weak, this is just a beta issue right?). Good thing this is still beta, because this weapon needs a total overhaul.
  • Torch – another thing done right. Don’t touch this weapon.
  • Dagger – the third thing done right so far. Leave it as is.

Overall, my beta impressions of the Druid were not pleasant (sorry that I keep using Ranger and Druid interchangeably). Everything was clunky and seemed fairly duct taped together, especially the mechanic, without any sort of design goal or effort to make the skills functional and effective.

Hopefully, these things improve for Druid by the next BWE or by expansion, because they are otherwise pretty awful and should never make it to a live game in their current condition.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

Posted by: Arken.3725

Arken.3725

As a Guardian, listen to the man above me. Too kitten smart for his own good.

in Ranger

DoogySnowStalker.2069

If you’re here Ethan, try and change the topic to something like:
[Feedback] BWE2 Druid Impressions

Impressions:

Mechanic
I am aware that this is a beta, but is the mechanic even finished and will it be ready for launch by October 23rd? The cast times on the pet mechanic are much too long to justify some (most) of the skill effects. Also, the pathing and general responsiveness is horrendous. The mechanic seems almost like starter area (in the base game) was tacked on to a class at the last second and then changed to an ally at the very last second.
Hopefully though, because this was just a beta, either this is just a temporary mechanic, or there will be a ton of changes and iterations to the AI and skill responsiveness and effects of the mechanic.

Traits:
Quite a few of these traits are served the injustice of being tied to these unfinished feeling utilities (more on that later). Additionally, certain traits, like giving a random chance to destroy projectiles to sword or making axe’s chill AoE, are incredibly basic, beta level traits that need some serious up-tuning in order to ever justify their slots. Also, there seems to be a whole ton of damage modifiers missing, especially when compared to every other class, and the class itself doesn’t exactly stack boons on itself or anything either. That is definitely something that needs to be looked at before the live version of the game.

Utilities:
So, there are Survival utilities, Signets, maybe a spirit or two for exclusively PvE, and then just garbage utilities, pure garbage. Traps will never make ranger compete against something like engineer who just facerolls out the same sort of conditions at a higher rate and intensity than ranger can ever hope to, and Dhuumfire Reaper is a nightmare of a condition spec, along with mesmer and really anything else with heavy condition oriented combat. Spirits are immobile and for some reason have active PBAoE effects which makes them terrible by design, and the passives aren’t worth the slot the skills take up. Shouts…. Just wow.
Good thing all of these utilities are still in beta, because ANet, you definitely need this time to make these utilities worthwhile.

Weapons:

• Longbow-Good weapon, ANet, you managed to get one right for this BWE. Don’t change a thing.
  • Greatsword-The autoattack chain is awful, but the rest of the weapon kit is pretty decent, although hilt bash only reaches about 200 of the 300 range it lists. Fix this bug before Druid goes live.
  • Axe-What is this weapon trying to be? It has range but can’t do anything at range, it has no conditions on autoattack even though the damage of this weapon is clearly favoring conditions, and the secondary effect on the axe is only as reliable as the mechanic, so aka, not reliable.
  • Sword-This is a great weapon, outside of the ridiculous autoattack chain animation binding you. Does this weapon even need this sort of treatment? It makes it very clunky and hard to use, even after you get used to it, because you have to use it either situationally or all in.
  • Shortbow- Horrible weapon. Outside of the autoattack and 5, the rest of the skills are boring, don’t really work well or add much to the ability of the weapon to do anything (shortbow 4 and the bleeds are so weak, this is just a beta issue right?). Good thing this is still beta, because this weapon needs a total overhaul.
  • Torch – another thing done right. Don’t touch this weapon.
  • Dagger – the third thing done right so far. Leave it as is.

Overall, my beta impressions of the Druid were not pleasant (sorry that I keep using Ranger and Druid interchangeably). Everything was clunky and seemed fairly duct taped together, especially the mechanic, without any sort of design goal or effort to make the skills functional and effective.

Hopefully, these things improve for Druid by the next BWE or by expansion, because they are otherwise pretty awful and should never make it to a live game in their current condition.

I would have to say this also sums up on my thoughts for Druid this BWE

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Jcbroe, you should start that thread and then we can all just quote you saying only;

This. +1.

in Ranger

Posted by: Bryzy.2719

Bryzy.2719

Jcbroe please start that thread in the HoT forum and c/p what you wrote there. Then as Heim suggested we can all +1 it.

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

Hahaha alright guys, I’ll make that thread in the HoT forum right now!

in Ranger

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

Was going to spec for Druid, but then, the traits didn’t seem to synergize terribly well with the BearBow meta, so decided to stay competitive instead.

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

in Ranger

Puck.9612

Hahaha alright guys, I’ll make that thread in the HoT forum right now!

I loved all the people trying to explain to you that they didn’t include druid in the BWE.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lethal Njection.8741

Lethal Njection.8741

Druid elite skill: Become Moa.

I’m calling it!

I save Ascalon against another Charr invasion, and my father trifles with doors!

in Ranger

DoogySnowStalker.2069

Honestly hoping Anet takes this into consideration, since this is our only opportunity to get real change…

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

Aww, the thread in HoT subforum got locked

in Ranger

Puck.9612

Didn’t take them long did it? Things happen quick when they actually read the forum.

in Ranger

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

I really don’t know why that topic got locked, I can’t see any reason besides “too much truth”.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Shows how much they care about feedback from the beta.

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

I’m more surprised it was locked and not moved to the Ranger sub-forum like most topics about the class posted elsewhere. >_>

in Ranger

DoogySnowStalker.2069

Why leave a comment when you can just lock the thread :v

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

Not just locked either, but locked with no explanation as to why it was locked, no mail in my mailbox explaining it, and a complete and total lack on what possible rule on the forums it could have broken.

in Ranger

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

This thread is golden.

Btw, I’m calling it, our staff 5 will be “Become your pet; your pet becomes you.”

Attachments:

in Ranger

Posted by: Hitsuke.5304

Hitsuke.5304

Who the heck wants to be a sea bass?

Is it an ill tempered sea bass?

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

Interestingly enough, some brave soul cross posted it to reddit, which has made the views spike lol.
Check it out: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3k54v7/druid_impressions_from_bwe2/

in Ranger

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

guys come on everybody knows that druid will be available for testing on October 23.

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

in Ranger

Posted by: BolshoiBooze.3406

BolshoiBooze.3406

That thread gave me a good laugh while making solid points too, well done. It’s very silly that they closed it.

in Ranger

Posted by: Bearzu Smash.5962

Bearzu Smash.5962

The druid thread was the greatest ranger thread since ranger haiku.

No fun allowed.

Bearzu Smash! - A Blog of a Bear of Very Little Brain
Thorn - A full-length GW2 novel in progress very nearly complete NOW FINISHED! Long gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

I am surprised at the speed they locked it. It was up what? Seven hours? I didn’t even have a chance to post in it.

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

I am surprised at the speed they locked it. It was up what? Seven hours? I didn’t even have a chance to post in it.

Oh definitely, they locked it down fast. I don’t think they can delete it because it doesn’t actually violate code of conduct, and in the same sense, the provided no reasoning publicly or to me, and unless they did so without telling me; I haven’t received any points on my account for a code of conduct violation.

Locking it is actually the best thing for us they could have done combined with whichever commendable soul (I only know the reddit handle) cross posted it to reddit. Since the cross post and the locking of the thread, the locked thread itself has jumped from 2k views to 10k+ in just a few hours, and the conversation is now being seen by more people and continued on a much larger scale in a much wider community.

Cut off one head, and 2 shall take its place. Hail Hydra xD

in Ranger

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

Naturally. When I see a locked thread I always click on it out of sheer curiosity. I am sure many others do as well. When you lock a thread you’re making it stand out and ensuring more people will see it before it eventually gets lost on the old pages.

Not giving any sort of explanation was extremely poor form on Anet’s part. You should always explain why you’re locking something.

in Ranger

DoogySnowStalker.2069

These amount of views…. viva la revolucion?

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

Probably not. Once it hits page 2 Anet will consider it swept under-the-rug.

That or core Ranger might get an actual rework, along with another fine tuning of other core professions (and elite specs) in another feature pack to seem fair shake up the meta.

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

LOL it has more views than the merged HoT price thread. The reddit community is really backing this. It’s really hard to put into words how much the ranger community appreciates the sheer visibility of the issues.

It’s been a memorable and enjoyable day