Throwing traps gone.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: ProtoMarcus.7649

ProtoMarcus.7649

I agree :/

They should change it so that each trap has an additionnal condition applied to target in theme with the trap itself;

Flame trap also adds Blind (3s)
Viper’s Nest adds Torment (2 stacks 4s)
Frost Trap adds Vulnerability (5 stacks 8s)
Spike Trap adds uhm… Immob! (1s?)

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

I believe the cripple is on the first pulse, which forces them to remain in the field a little longer or blow a dodgeroll. they also get hit by the chill on the first pulse. then, chill pulses continue. given how large the traps are, opponent wont be able to get away without blowing evades or leaps. traps will be pretty much spammable =)

also cleansing on top of the trap(s) after the first pulse will be ineffective/wasteful. they’ll be forced to stay there for the duration if theyre smart, soak up some condi damage, then cleanse. but soon after we hit em with another.

But the chill is basically an upgraded version of cripple.. so… I think cripple is useless for frost trap. I mean redundant is a better term for it.

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

chill increases cooldowns while cripple only slows movement, so it’s not redundant. cripple is there to keep the opponent on the trap’s field i believe. that way, the pulsing condis stack more effectively. look at the chill duration, it’s nasty and the trap is on a very short CD. i think it could basically turn a teamfight around.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

chill increases cooldowns while cripple only slows movement, so it’s not redundant. cripple is there to keep the opponent on the trap’s field i believe. that way, the pulsing condis stack more effectively. look at the chill duration, it’s nasty and the trap is on a very short CD. i think it could basically turn a teamfight around.

The point is that the cripple has virtually no effect since the person is going to be chilled anyways. The movement speed reductions don’t stack, chill will simply take priority since it is stronger.

The only thing it’s technically useful as is a cover or “bonus” condition, so say if an engineer with alchemy points runs into the trap, they’ll only resist one of the chill or cripple, not both.

Still, next to no one would opt to apply cripple to someone when they’re already chilled. It just wastes the cripple.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

ah I see your guys’ point. but the cripple is still very useful for the other 3 traps.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

ah I see your guys’ point. but the cripple is still very useful for the other 3 traps.

Well, technically not the spike trap either because the spike trap will now cause a knockdown. So the cripple will at least partially expire while they’re still getting off the floor.

Of course it won’t knock them down if they have stability, so it could be possibly useful then.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Throw traps was more convenience to me as I didn’t use/abuse trapper runes.

I’m more upset that I can’t take trap trait AND sharpened edges.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: rollnb.8346

rollnb.8346

Well, that totally screws up Runes of the Trapper.

No more wise trap spreading to avoid reveals, keeping the cycle and luring into traps.

You are absolutely mistaken my friend. If you watch more carefully to a change you will notice this:
1) Trap activation time is same that was before, so you can use traps as 1,2,3 with 8-9 sec stealth.
2) Arming time isnt the same that activation skill time. It is great for STEALTH trapper, because now activated trap used to reveal you in same time when pulsed (except frost), but since they all cause cripple etc they all will reveal on hit after update, so technically with this change , ranger gets extra 0.5 sec of 100% unrevealed stealth time after you used trap. In my thought it is great.

Overall i can say that these changes have some intrigue. Time will show how ranger will show himself in WvW against other classes. Now it is too early to say that ranger has been nerfed.

(edited by rollnb.8346)

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chiemi.3781

Chiemi.3781

Hidden barbs 33% more bleed dmg
Refined toxins hits poison 10 sec icd
And poison master 25% more poison dmg
Plus trappers expertise make for a massive conditions burst
One question is if one should go lb to lure in foes and use full condo dps runes
Or gp trapper runes with a bow or other for stealth
Depends on how conditions armor plays out
hoping to final get 2000+ conditions dmg on ranger

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kolisch.4691

Kolisch.4691

It will be hard to be aggressive as trap rangers against classes that will just kite you (gs mes, lb rangers, even engis ). Now we have to pray and ask them to come to step on the traps. With all the clones, minions, pets running around, you are no longer rewarded for taking the fight to them. If people want say it’s not meant to be like grenades, well it isn’t even spammable or as strong, can’t even thrown very far. All ANET wants to do here is please the people wanting stealth more reliable on trap runes. Yes, they are nerfing the trap ranger .to buff a rune set. GG anet.

HoT = Grind Wars 2
HoT = WvW players forced to PVE

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

that’s why I think certain weapons wont work too well with traps. I was hoping SB would be strong and synergize well. but after seeing LOYF, I am sad.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: Morphic.7045

Morphic.7045

that’s why I think certain weapons wont work too well with traps. I was hoping SB would be strong and synergize well. but after seeing LOYF, I am sad.

Quoted for truth.

Some of this stuff is pretty neat. I’ve been playing a Ranger since release and this stream alone has finally convinced me to move on. Throwing traps were keeping me here and now it’s not.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wuselknusel.4082

Wuselknusel.4082

For all those who are saying that traps now function how traps “meant to be functioning”, ergo not being able to throw them anymore, I don’t even know why you try to argue this way. Maybe you shouldn’t be so hung up on the name, but actually treat traps as what they are: AoEs. And any other class who can use AoEs as utility skills can currently groundtarget them. The simple fact is that traps wont be versatile enough anymore to run more than one of them per build.
Traps may be pretty potent if someone steps into them, but other than that, they are not more than an area an enemy might want to avoid. And that is not very versatile. Survival skills on the other hand are pretty versatile. You can load up your whole build with survival skills, because they bring something to the table for almost any situation you encounter. Traps will lose that momentum. They never really got it, the changes now would actually make them more versatile, but without being able to throw them in front of your target, you wont be able to hit reliably with them.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

one more reason why the took away throwing traps

throw > spike trap 0.5sec ahead of target Kd’s them , its basicly a hammer f1 machanic without the leap as a utiltiy , its a strong thing to have so you’d have to comprimise somewhere .

so do you want the KD on the trap or not have the KD + keep throw traps and the smaller radius.

spike trap targets 5 players when triggered it will now KD 5 players in a wider area.
stack those bad boys prepaired infront of a zerg or in a location where most pvp kiting player use as a escape route that KD will kill them.

and having that as throwable might just be too much iceing on the cake.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Wuselknusel.4082

I’d rather have the old throwable traps than the new ones. There goes the only condition build I play.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: roamzero.9486

roamzero.9486

its a strong thing to have so you’d have to comprimise somewhere .

So just give traps manual detonation instead of auto-triggering but keep the ranged ground targeting. This would make Healing Spring work better since I think they are making it a trap.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Wuselknusel.4082

You simply can’t afford to run more than one trap in a build without sacrificing a lot of utility. Yet we have a runeset that seems to be tailored to the Ranger. But after this patch we wont be able to use it anymore. I don’t even know why they are thinking that this is a good idea.
The balance for stronger traps is the arming time. If you see them flying, you can dodge. That is enough counterplay.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

RIP Traps and Spirits~!
What the hell were they thinking? What kind of ranger stands still during combat? Oh sorry Mr Thief, can u move over to my traps and spirits so I can shoot you??

I worked so kitten my ranger with ascended gear and legendary! Trap ranger with spirits was my favorite build.

Lets nerf some more ranger builds!

Trap ranger with spirits was your favourite build hey?

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: Loki.4871

Loki.4871

How the heck to you expect Rangers to do that? Traps now have a trigger delay, so you just chase your oponent and hope that he wont run out of your traps fast enough? That is a stupid change and it limits the effectiveness of traps tremendously.

Trigger delay is slightly misleading-on the stream they explained it was actually an arming time. When you put it down, it will not instantly trigger. After the arming time has expired though it will instantly go off-an enemy better watch their step. Spike Trap also got a knockdown, so god help the sorry gits who stood on a flame trap stacked with spike trap.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: rollnb.8346

rollnb.8346

For all those who are saying that traps now function how traps “meant to be functioning”, ergo not being able to throw them anymore, I don’t even know why you try to argue this way. Maybe you shouldn’t be so hung up on the name, but actually treat traps as what they are: AoEs. And any other class who can use AoEs as utility skills can currently groundtarget them. The simple fact is that traps wont be versatile enough anymore to run more than one of them per build.
Traps may be pretty potent if someone steps into them, but other than that, they are not more than an area an enemy might want to avoid. And that is not very versatile. Survival skills on the other hand are pretty versatile. You can load up your whole build with survival skills, because they bring something to the table for almost any situation you encounter. Traps will lose that momentum. They never really got it, the changes now would actually make them more versatile, but without being able to throw them in front of your target, you wont be able to hit reliably with them.

I would agree, but you forgot to say an important thing. When enemy place their “aoe” trap-alike target skills, you see the affected area in red lines. Traps of ranger is unseen for enemies ! So they cant know where exactly you placed it.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I am not a fan of this change at all, because throwing the traps was very helpful, but the KD on spike is a much needed addition. I can see it being useful now, even with no throwing traps.

Ironically, that alone would have made Trapper’s Defense actually usable as a trait, it would have had great synergy then.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

Very sad about the ranged traps, will sorely miss it as a wall/door/stairs cleaner in wvw. But the condition stacking changes, trap condi buffs, additional cripple and THE NEW KNOCKDOWN look like they’ll be fun to play with. And the arming delay means that trapper runes should become a guaranteed half second of stealth, so enough to drop target and quickly change direction to play the mind games.

Did i mention KNOCKDOWN?! <3

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

So trapper runes are awful now, and traps themselves are pretty awful too.

I’ve created a guide on how to play trapper ranger with the updated changes. It goes like this:

1. poop traps into a high traffic area like a bridge or guard.
2. wait for some no condi removal scrub to run into them.
3. the new KD and cripples will in theory help them stay in the traps.
4. maybe they’ll die?

I’ve also created a guide on how to play DH:

1. poop traps into a high traffic area like a bridge or guard.
2. wait for some no condi removal scrub to run into them.
4. maybe they’ll die?

I’m lovin it.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: Manekk.6981

Manekk.6981

No more wise trap spreading to avoid reveals, keeping the cycle and luring into traps.

Ontop of that the 0.5 second activation time means spike trap will break the stealth and frost trap does pulsing damage like the rest, so this rune used in any way for the stealth as a defensive tool is now impossible

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

completely irrelevant. they have an arming time now so there is no point in throwing them. they’re basically area denial, with very powerful effects. that’s why we’re not talking about this too much.

Obviously we are talking about them a lot.

My build and combat play style was built around throwing the traps strategically during combat.

Arming time or not, especially in mob combat, I will have to be in the thick of the mob with my bow if I want to use my traps, making my ranged trap Ranger an oxymoron.

So they have basically made bow rangers with traps worthless unless they want to be melee bow rangers.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

Meh. I never trait for throwing traps when running trap builds anyways. Not too worried about it

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: ObsiMoth.6342

ObsiMoth.6342

I don’t have a problem with this. Traps are going to be vastly more useful in PvE with higher front-end damage components, and in addition to the condi changes they are far more viable.

Also, now they will actually feel unique and not just like glorified grenades, and hopefully they will be used more defensively now which is the way I always wanted them. Overall buffs to ranger condition damage is more than enough to make up for losing the ranged traps anyway.. who needs ranged traps when your bleed and poison are doing insane damage.

We also don’t know how the druid will interact with traps, or what types of skills the staff will have synergy with.

completely irrelevant. they have an arming time now so there is no point in throwing them. they’re basically area denial, with very powerful effects. that’s why we’re not talking about this too much.

My build and combat play style was built around throwing the traps strategically during combat.

Arming time or not, especially in mob combat, I will have to be in the thick of the mob with my bow if I want to use my traps, making my ranged trap Ranger an oxymoron.

So they have basically made bow rangers with traps worthless unless they want to be melee bow rangers.

66% additional bleed damage stacking for free against players while they dance around refusing the step on your traps sounds pretty kitten good to be honest. Think of it this way: trap rangers hopefully wont be reliant on traps landing to actually do the damage now, instead they’re the explosive defensive tools they should have been on release.

(edited by ObsiMoth.6342)

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

jheryn.8390

I don’t have a problem with this. Traps are going to be vastly more useful in PvE with higher front-end damage components, and in addition to the condi changes they are far more viable.

Also, now they will actually feel unique and not just like glorified grenades, and hopefully they will be used more defensively now which is the way I always wanted them. Overall buffs to ranger condition damage is more than enough to make up for losing the ranged traps anyway.. who needs ranged traps when your bleed and poison are doing insane damage.

We also don’t know how the druid will interact with traps, or what types of skills the staff will have synergy with.

That is great if you want to be a melee ranger. It really makes them useless to a ranged Ranger now.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

jheryn.8390

66% additional bleed damage stacking for free against players while they dance around refusing the step on your traps sounds pretty kitten good to be honest. Think of it this way: trap rangers hopefully wont be reliant on traps landing to actually do the damage now, instead they’re the explosive defensive tools they should have been on release.

And the range bonus from your longbow is nullified because you have to stand in the middle of your trap instead of shooting from a distance.

Again, why use a ranged weapon with traps now? Traps mean nothing now unless I want to be a melee ranger, which I do not.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I’m not sure why people think traps are useless to ranged specs now. They are meant as a setup. If someone gets the jump on you drop them at your feet obviously. If they are ranged then kite them so they walk into them while continuing to drop more traps and keep kiting them into them.

I was clearing cannon with balista at south bay gate from top deck on swc. I dropped spike trap at wall entrance. I heard my trap go off before I saw enemy coming in. Skill is sexy.

Sidenote, are they ever going to make viper nest 5 target so I can use that wrather than carrion devourer for camps? ;-(

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Zenos Osgorma.2936

Ontop of that the 0.5 second activation time means spike trap will break the stealth and frost trap does pulsing damage like the rest, so this rune used in any way for the stealth as a defensive tool is now impossible

?? plant it away from Targets you have ranged SB so why are you so close to trigger it , its just reversed its use , get away first plant it gain stealth > 0.5sec later trap is primed and ready for use by then the chasing player will ether be a numty and go to your last stealth location and try to cleave.

its just backwards now rather than throwing the trap and staying close with stealth like a thief….which we could not be doing in the first place this promotes Back away / skirmish use rather than spamming traps for offensive use , youd throw a trap gain stealth run around a bit , till it triggered , its just reversed thats all , the runes are still viable you’ll just have to skirmish first and use stealth+ the super speed to repostion and alternate traps two for offensive use , one for defensive use to garrentee you get a stealth its viable you’ll just have to change your combat tactics.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

I’m thinking we might see more use of Traps with longbow. With 1,500 range, you can try to force a target to come towards you. If they don’t, you outrange them.

That’s the theory on paper anyways … I want to get to playtest everything … #impatient.

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

throwing traps gone…BUT you now knockdown with spike trap and deal 33% more damage with poison and bleed through traits, AND all of your traps cripple.

plus you take A THIRD less damage above 90% health,
plus 5% less damage whenever you have regen,
and when they hit you you cause weakness and gain prot.

how are you not buzzing with anticipation for this?

its like tanky condi heaven.

Me, it is how I currently play so it is more of a change of game play that is a bit frustrating. However, we do get a trait point back now so maybe it is a good thing. Not sure until I try it.

I always hated when I changed trait arrangement and couldn’t throw traps. In fact I thought it was a bug at first (newb ranger at the time) until another fella ranger poked fun of me and ‘educated me’

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Crapgame.6519

I’m thinking we might see more use of Traps with longbow. With 1,500 range, you can try to force a target to come towards you. If they don’t, you outrange them.

That’s the theory on paper anyways … I want to get to playtest everything … #impatient.

That is my primary weapon LB with traps in WvW Too much goodness to pass up and much more survivability minus a few ticks of damage difference in the long run. Honestly that is how traps work now anyways. You pretty much use them to kite and get range pretty much as you said then unload with RF

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

Exactly.
Think about it. Who is going to benefit from staying at range in a fight against a Longbow Ranger? Few if anyone.

So now their preference is to get close. That involves moving toward the Ranger who has been dropping traps.

Summary:

• They don’t want to stay at Range because that makes Ranger longbow hurt
  • They don’t want to recklessly run close to the Ranger because traps hurt

On paper it doesn’t appear bad … we’ll have to playtest though.

Also, with the new WvW maps coming out that will have more chokepoints, can you imagine a couple Rangers and/or Guardians all stacking their traps on one spot. You might insta-gib someone … or multiple people. Even worse with the Ranger(s)/Guardian(s) right there applying more pressure :-)

People need to get over trying to fit every skill into every game mode. Some are better for some game modes than others and some are worse for some game modes than others.

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Zenos Osgorma.2936

I did this for a while in Pvp , running a condi LB ranger with a carrion amulet+ mad king runes or krait (depends on what you prefer you damage sources to be more Mixed or condi focused) and correct choice of sigils/traits to help keep bleeds up + 2,6,6,0,0

using that with spike trap and Vipers nest with lighting reflexes and RAo mainly Stacking bleeds+vun from RF and using the traps for point defence and wolf timed right after the trap trigger just ment they took the full burn of those condis while getting hit with newer condis and a decent amount of power .

i’ll try it again with the spike trap Kd its a wonderful thing vs pop up shatters and thiefs , also stopped a lot of kiting from warroirs and Medi guards jumping me , though with the leap / movement condition changes it’ll make things easier to land in the traps as you know if they will miss or hit by judging the gap between you and the target makes spike trap even better for offensive defence.

the theroy works.

(edited by Zenos Osgorma.2936)

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Manekk.6981

?? plant it away from Targets you have ranged SB so why are you so close to trigger it , its just reversed its use , get away first plant it gain stealth > 0.5sec later trap is primed and ready for use by then the chasing player will ether be a numty and go to your last stealth location and try to cleave.

its just backwards now rather than throwing the trap and staying close with stealth like a thief….which we could not be doing in the first place this promotes Back away / skirmish use rather than spamming traps for offensive use , youd throw a trap gain stealth run around a bit , till it triggered , its just reversed thats all , the runes are still viable you’ll just have to skirmish first and use stealth+ the super speed to repostion and alternate traps two for offensive use , one for defensive use to garrentee you get a stealth its viable you’ll just have to change your combat tactics.

Well it can be used preemptively of course but you don’t have the guaranteed stealth anymore like before where you could drop one at your feet in your opponents face and get away to re-position, you could do that with both spike and frost now neither will work for it so you don’t have any guaranteed stealth with this change.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Zenos Osgorma.2936

Well it can be used preemptively of course but you don’t have the guaranteed stealth anymore like before where you could drop one at your feet in your opponents face and get away to re-position, you could do that with both spike and frost now neither will work for it so you don’t have any guaranteed stealth with this change.

you’ll get the steath on cast but you’ll only have access to 0.5secs of stealth untill the trap triggers ether way the trap will trigger so whats the change none really , if you want longer stealth windows you have to change Combat tactics just like i said before .

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Manekk.6981

you’ll get the steath on cast but you’ll only have access to 0.5secs of stealth untill the trap triggers ether way the trap will trigger so whats the change none really , if you want longer stealth windows you have to change Combat tactics just like i said before .

Don’t you see the point I’m making? the change is if you got jumped before you could drop a trap at your feet in your opponents face and gain the full 3s of stealth or 6s if you used first spike then frost this was enough to almost always get away if multiple opponents tried to gank you, 0,5s of stealth will not help you at all in this scenario you’re plain dead 0,5s stealth or none so we have lost almost all the survivability the runes gave if this is how you used them and since we won’t be able to ground target them anymore you can’t throw them to the side of your enemy either this is a pretty big change I’d say.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Crapgame.6519

Don’t you see the point I’m making? the change is if you got jumped before you could drop a trap at your feet in your opponents face and gain the full 3s of stealth or 6s if you used first spike then frost this was enough to almost always get away if multiple opponents tried to gank you, 0,5s of stealth will not help you at all in this scenario you’re plain dead 0,5s stealth or none so we have lost almost all the survivability the runes gave if this is how you used them and since we won’t be able to ground target them anymore you can’t throw them to the side of your enemy either this is a pretty big change I’d say.

I may have missed this note then in the patches – the trap runes are adjusted or the amount of time for stealth reduced? .5 seconds of stealth is nothing and if so then those runes are no longer viable. Which may be nice since I’ll just go back to krait or traveler…

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Zenos Osgorma.2936

I may have missed this note then in the patches – the trap runes are adjusted or the amount of time for stealth reduced? .5 seconds of stealth is nothing and if so then those runes are no longer viable. Which may be nice since I’ll just go back to krait or traveler…

exactly you got the point , if using trapper runes at near point blank range it will not matter if you gain the stealth or not , it will be trigger then 0.5secs later you’ll be revealed (to use trapper runes you’ll have to kite effectively rather than popping out a trap like a rooster)

if your combat style is to get in their face you are better off using Krait or Travelers.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Manekk.6981

exactly you got the point , if using trapper runes at near point blank range it will not matter if you gain the stealth or not , it will be trigger then 0.5secs later you’ll be revealed (to use trapper runes you’ll have to kite effectively rather than popping out a trap like a rooster)

if your combat style is to get in their face you are better off using Krait or Travelers.

I was trying to say they are getting in your face rather than the other way round.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Manekk.6981

Neither it’s the traps that will have an activation time of 0,5s meaning in the scenario I described you’ll drop trap and gain stealth and speed but the trap will then break it and reveal you after only half a second even the frost trap will since they are adding a pulsing physical damage to it.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Zenos Osgorma.2936

Neither it’s the traps that will have an activation time of 0,5s meaning in the scenario I described you’ll drop trap and gain stealth and speed but the trap will then break it and reveal you after only half a second.

right ok? so they are chasing you not in your face , if they gap close into your face , its a bad play to use a Trap alone .

The target is likely to have Stabiliy and or protection or regen maybe with a dodge in stock for the assult so no I would not use a Trap to stealth , stealth is not a Escape machanic rather a Kiting support, a 0.5 Arming time will allow you 0.5secs of ground or time to use a leap away then using the super speed to gain ground rather than Using super speed and stealth to stay in close quarters .

1. Plant>leap away>super speed kiting > plant second trap gain stealth.
or
2. Plant> leap right away before Arming time sets and super speed let them spot you and then plant a second trap > super speed behind them and Plant the 3rd. or the 2nd trap is you managed to skip a step.

(edited by Zenos Osgorma.2936)

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Manekk.6981

Neither it’s the traps that will have an activation time of 0,5s meaning in the scenario I described you’ll drop trap and gain stealth and speed but the trap will then break it and reveal you after only half a second.

right ok? so they are chasing you not in your face , if they gap close into your face , its a bad play to use a Trap alone .

The target is likely to have Stabiliy and or protection or regen maybe with a dodge in stock for the assult so no I would not use a Trap to stealth , stealth is not a Escape machanic rather a Kiting support, a 0.5 Arming time will allow you 0.5secs of ground or time to use a leap away then using the super speed to gain ground rather than Using super speed and stealth to escape .

or
2. Plant> leap right away before Arming time sets and super speed let them spot you and then plant a second trap > super speed behind them and Plant the 3rd. or the 2nd trap is you managed to skip a step.

Of course stealth is an escape mechanic, it doesn’t have to be but if you need it then 6seconds of stealth with full speed in combat is extremely obviously the perfect escape mechanic something that rangers unlike many other classes simply never had before, we can run well but not as well as some others many classes have this pretty much guaranteed “oh kitten!” escape we never did until these runes, and you don’t need to give me combat advice on how this can work in the future I’m simply pointing out we lost a near certain escape tool.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Zenos Osgorma.2936

The target is likely to have Stabiliy and or protection or regen maybe with a dodge in stock for the assult so no I would not use a Trap to stealth , stealth is not a Escape machanic rather a Kiting support, a 0.5 Arming time will allow you 0.5secs of ground or time to use a leap away then using the super speed to gain ground rather than Using super speed and stealth to escape .

or

Of course stealth is an escape mechanic, it doesn’t have to be but if you need it then 6seconds of stealth with full speed in combat is extremely obviously the perfect escape mechanic something that rangers unlike many other classes simply never had before, we can run well but not as well as some others many classes have this pretty much guaranteed “oh kitten!” escape we never did until these runes, and you don’t need to give me combat advice on how this can work in the future I’m simply pointing out we lost a near certain escape tool.

add quickdraw into the mix..with Sword reevaluate.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

The issue with traps was always suvivability, in particular the lack of a stun break.

It will be even harder to survive now that you can’t throw them from range, losing the ability to kite.

If you dont stand in your trap anyone with teleports will eat you alive (since you are full glass).

If you do stand in your trap you have no stun break to get out if you get cc’d…

Maybe the knockdown will make the difference…I think they synergise more with melee than bows though.

Bow trap ranger will be paper.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Manekk.6981

or

add quickdraw into the mix..with Sword reevaluate.

I give up since you are apperantly deadset on not listening to what I am saying.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Zenos Osgorma.2936

The issue with traps was always suvivability, in particular the lack of a stun break.

It will be even harder to survive now that you can’t throw them from range, losing the ability to kite.

If you dont stand in your trap anyone with teleports will eat you alive (since you are full glass).

If you do stand in your trap you have no stun break to get out if you get cc’d…

Maybe the knockdown will make the difference…I think they synergise more with melee than bows though.

Bow trap ranger will be paper.

if your running bow trap you don’t take Power LB is only for hybrid use and its KB plus or huntershot and barrage for AoE control forcing target left or right into traps you don;t need overwhelming AA shots + high condi traps , Cav+valk+sinister is more than enough to make a LB trapper work , it does not need to be glass at all , hell i ran it with 2.7k toughness with LR , Sword+dagger.

thats the first mistake of running LB/Trapper going full cannon power/condi glass.

Throwing traps gone.

in Ranger

Posted by: Samis.1750

Samis.1750

This change makes the trapper build a lot less fun to play. For that reason alone I despise the change. They could increase the trap damage to a million and I wouldn’t care.

Tarnished Coast