Today's changes to Ranger - Stealth!

in Ranger

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

Ranger:
Entangle: Updated the damage and bleeding skill facts to properly display their actual effects.
Rapid Fire: This skill now applies vulnerability on each hit.
Hunter’s Shot: This skill no longer applies vulnerability on each hit, but now grantss the ranger stealth for 3 seconds.
Point Blank Shot: Increased the range from 600 to 900.
Maul: This skill now applies vulnerability instead of bleeding.
Counterattack—Crippling Throw: This skill can now be used while moving. Increased the cripple duration to 5 seconds.
Whirling Defense: This skill now grants 4 seconds of retaliation for the duration of the skill.
Call of the Wild: This skill is now a blast finisher.
Remorseless: This trait now reapplies Opening Strike when the ranger gains stealth or kills an enemy.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/july-23-content-release-notes/

I’m pretty excited about stealth on Hunter’s Shot to be honest, at 3s with a 12s cooldown that’s 25% uptime on stealth (30+% with Quickdraw trait). I don’t know whether it’ll make the LB ranger stronger, but it will certainly make it more fun to play

EDIT: typo

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

(edited by Daemon.4295)

in Ranger

Posted by: naphack.9346

naphack.9346

Ranger:
[random stuff
unimportant]
Counterattack—Crippling Throw: This skill can now be used while moving. Increased the cripple duration to 5 seconds.
[random stuff
unimportant]

THIS IS THE SINGLE BEST CHANGE EVER!
WHY DID IT TAKE SO LONG?

The only crime, turrets committed, is being good against the celestial meta.
The mob has spoken and the turrets shall be burnt at the stake.

in Ranger

Posted by: idevourwater.3149

idevourwater.3149

I love anet!!! Great changes!!! It is the best !awesome awesome awesome

in Ranger

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

Wait a minute…Are they actually making changes that we’ve been asking for, and are further improving direct damage for the Ranger?! I must be dreaming..

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Not to sure about the change to Hunter’s Shot really especially as we have a big ole pet giving away that we are near. Then again I guess that isn’t the point of that particular stealth skill, should be interesting to mess about with at least.

I liked Mauls change but it kind of makes the positions of the traits linked to GS even weirder.

Some good changes too other stuff as well, especially a blast finisher that isn’t tied to a pet. Only down side really is that with buffs to both power builds and a blast finisher to mess about with in traps it doesn’t really make my decision into what build to respec into any easier.

Edit: Wow I didn’t even notice the rapid fire change. Yeah I am def liking the new hunter’s shot then. I think this should be very interesting.

in Ranger

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

Go figure … I just started levelling my Ranger a coupla nights ago. Hello, timing!

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Ranger

Posted by: naphack.9346

naphack.9346

Go figure … I just started levelling my Ranger a coupla nights ago. Hello, timing!

My ranger will hit level 80(currently 78) today after being a pure spvp char for a hellish long time

Was planning on farming apothecary and going bm bunker, but now I feel tempted to play my 30/25/15/0/0 spvp build in pve. greatsword throw finally got fixed and knockback range on longbow got buffed. Perfect for my build

The only crime, turrets committed, is being good against the celestial meta.
The mob has spoken and the turrets shall be burnt at the stake.

(edited by naphack.9346)

in Ranger

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

Have to say I am sad theres no buff to any of the weapons I use but I guess they dont really need them. These do look like some interesting changes Curious to see hoiw this stealth works out.

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

in Ranger

Posted by: Celebratty.1632

Celebratty.1632

I… I think I like it?
I hope pet stealths too or this seems kinda awkward for a spell, that 15% vuln was pretty nice.

Imo we should have a utility skill or ultimate that lets us stealth for a large amount of time unless we move, take damage or deal damage. This would really work for a trap ranger-esque setup.

Lulu [LGN] Anvil Rock
Garbage at every profession 2015

in Ranger

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

I… I think I like it?
I hope pet stealths too or this seems kinda awkward for a spell, that 15% vuln was pretty nice.

Imo we should have a utility skill or ultimate that lets us stealth for a large amount of time unless we move, take damage or deal damage. This would really work for a trap ranger-esque setup.

We had in early beta.
but sPvP prooved it very OP so ANet have deleted that skill

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

in Ranger

Posted by: somsom.5201

somsom.5201

Not to sure about the change to Hunter’s Shot really especially as we have a big ole pet giving away that we are near. Then again I guess that isn’t the point of that particular stealth skill, should be interesting to mess about with at least.

I liked Mauls change but it kind of makes the positions of the traits linked to GS even weirder.

Some good changes too other stuff as well, especially a blast finisher that isn’t tied to a pet. Only down side really is that with buffs to both power builds and a blast finisher to mess about with in traps it doesn’t really make my decision into what build to respec into any easier.

Edit: Wow I didn’t even notice the rapid fire change. Yeah I am def liking the new hunter’s shot then. I think this should be very interesting.

Methinks the stealth is mainly for PvE, where you can fire HS, the mob will then focus solely on the pet and then keep focus once you leave stealth; previously unless you made sure to enter combat with the pet first(and even then it wasn’t always true) the mob would usually aggro you instead.

in Ranger

Posted by: Celebratty.1632

Celebratty.1632

I… I think I like it?

We had in early beta.
but sPvP prooved it very OP so ANet have deleted that skill

sigh

Once again the lack of PvP split is why we can’t have nice things.

Lulu [LGN] Anvil Rock
Garbage at every profession 2015

in Ranger

Posted by: elprimo.4398

elprimo.4398

I think I´m staring to love Anet ^^

in Ranger

Posted by: Catharsis.8571

Catharsis.8571

Methinks the stealth is mainly for PvE, where you can fire HS, the mob will then focus solely on the pet and then keep focus once you leave stealth; previously unless you made sure to enter combat with the pet first(and even then it wasn’t always true) the mob would usually aggro you instead.

A target drop is massive in pvp. Having a 3s stealth on a relatively short cd will undoubtedly make LB much more popular in all forms of pvp/wvwvw

Mauveine – 80 Mesmer, Bashastick – 80 Warrior
Basha Blue – 80 Guard, Cat Harsis – 80 Ranger
And many more… on Crystal Desert Server (NA)

in Ranger

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

Once again, stealth in Guild Wars 2 is not meant to make you a ninja. It’s a tool that you use to change positioning, or gain distance with. Which is why it fits the Ranger.

Some examples could be:
Hunter’s Shot>Swoop>run away
Hornet Sting>Crippling Talon>Hunter’s Shot>run away
Hunter’s Shot>change positioning>Point Blank Shot a foe over a cliffside
Hunter’s Shot>run to melee range>Hilt Bash>Maul>Swoop
Hunter’s Shot>run to melee range>place down traps (this should not trigger reveal)

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

(edited by Kasama.8941)

in Ranger

Posted by: Catharsis.8571

Catharsis.8571

im guessing we’ll be seeing many more lb rangers after the patch… with the insane gap closers/creators listed in the above post, stealth is very good. A target drop is so good in pvp that any class which has access to it uses it to excellent effect (engineers, thieves, mesmers)

Mauveine – 80 Mesmer, Bashastick – 80 Warrior
Basha Blue – 80 Guard, Cat Harsis – 80 Ranger
And many more… on Crystal Desert Server (NA)

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

Wait a minute…Are they actually making changes that we’ve been asking for, and are further improving direct damage for the Ranger?! I must be dreaming..

yes, they’ve done something that WE want… miracles, maybe they do happen once in a while?!

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

Posted by: AEFA.9035

AEFA.9035

LOL!! ^

Success is my only option, failure is not.

in Ranger

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

The stealth will be a valuable tool in PvE simply as an engine to fuel Remorseless. I never would have considered putting stealth on the longbow (I honestly had no idea how to achieve what they wanted to with that weapon) but this seems like a great way to do it. I still don’t see why the shortbow needs a range nerf with this change. This change is probably enough to give the longbow its own place in the meta and be taken over the shortbow in many different situations.

in Ranger

AEFA.9035

JonPeters.5630:
Among other benefits the stealth on hunters also let’s you cast the beginning of barrage without detection.

in Ranger

Posted by: Coarr.3286

Coarr.3286

more easy to kill lb ranger around in wvw. love the patch

[care] Coarr Ix – Ranger
Kodash
Stomp some Piken!

in Ranger

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Stealth will be great because it causes enemies to drop target.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

in Ranger

Posted by: awge.3852

awge.3852

Interesting changes to GS and LB I wonder how they will play out. I can see people using rapid fire, throwing barrage, switching to GS + QZ and throwing some big damage on an enemy very fast.

Mon Fils — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Blackgate
Ranger’s guide to PvP/WvW: http://tinyurl.com/oht3e9z

in Ranger

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

Hunters Shot + Swoop.

If people thought thieves were trolls, thats because they hadn’t meant the no-skill-ninja-Legolas community.

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

in Ranger

TooBz.3065

Think about it some more. With the long bow you can ping from range, When you enemy gets to close hunter’s shot and retreat. You can do that all day.

in Ranger

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Imagine what hunter’s shot does for trap rangers now. They’ll never see me or my traps coming. >:D

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Ranger

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

Imagine what hunter’s shot does for trap rangers now. They’ll never see me or my traps coming. >:D

Longbow is a power weapon. Traps are condition weapons.

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

in Ranger

AEFA.9035

I think with remorseless synergy with longbow, its more of a power build than condition build trap ranger. lol. With these changes it would make ranger more mobile and a bit safe for power plays.

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQJATRjAVR29VKWs2Bg1j967vmCNtkpwQGB-j0xA4uARUCUWsIasF3ioxqtxUxER12+ioVLEw3xA-w

enjoy; potential new build that can utilize the burst given by stealth.

in Ranger

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Doe remorseless trigger with guard and jaguar stealth?

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

I think with remorseless synergy with longbow, its more of a power build than condition build trap ranger. lol. With these changes it would make ranger more mobile and a bit safe for power plays.

i tried remorseless on LB, even before this patch. And it is very good. If you use glass cannon/crit tank, you can gain massive damage on first shot, all up to 5000 (without might stacks and all that jazz)

in Ranger

RyuDragnier.9476

Longbow is a power weapon. Traps are condition weapons.

I use it for support, since I mostly run dungeons or WvW on my ranger nowadays. Besides, despite what people think, SB SUCKS in dungeons and WvW due to how many classes have access to bleed and how many are using it at any given time. Compared to stacking vulnerability which not many classes can actually do. I already have GS as my melee weapon, and I prefer to keep a melee/ranged combination at all times. Never know when you need to stay ranged to survive.

And with stealth and that delicious rapid fire vulnerability added to LB, I can support now more than ever…as well as survive.

[hS]

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

Doe remorseless trigger with guard and jaguar stealth?

what you mean is “Does OPENING STRIKE”, the thing that Remorseless resets, trigger with guard or jag stealth? No. Pet has its own opening strike separate of the rangers.

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

And with stealth and that delicious rapid fire vulnerability added to LB, I can support now more than ever…as well as survive.

imagine….. sucks on lips rapid fire into a zerg while walking in a cone pattern. with piercing arrows….. the entire zerg now has vulnerability

in Ranger

Posted by: Red Jay.2516

Red Jay.2516

In b4 thieves realize we’re getting ranged CnD.

It might be first step in implementing limited stealth options to ranger class. Remember, we already get stealth on CC through trait. Perhaps an alpha Ranger stealth utility could make comeback in some form? I could imagine SB or GS getting stealth treatment as well.

in Ranger

RyuDragnier.9476

imagine….. sucks on lips rapid fire into a zerg while walking in a cone pattern. with piercing arrows….. the entire zerg now has vulnerability

Oh the chaos will be delicious~

[hS]

in Ranger

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

Yes.

15 char/

in Ranger

TooBz.3065

I like the build, but the only issue I have is that you have an incredible crit damage and almost no crit chance. If you swap out the cavalier for knights your damage goes up a lot.

(edited by TooBz.3065)

in Ranger

Posted by: NemesiS.6749

NemesiS.6749

yea looks rly good, i am liking that stealth shot thing, maybe finally after so so many months (since release) i can put the SB down, i will miss my Rox shortbow skin tho is pretty lol

in Ranger

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

Longbow ranger in PVP… lulz…

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I like the build, but the only issue I have is that you have an incredible crit damage and almost no crit chance. If you swap out the cavalier for knights your damage goes up a lot.

Remorseless is a guaranteed crit every 9.5s

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

It might be first step in implementing limited stealth options to ranger class. Remember, we already get stealth on CC through trait. Perhaps an alpha Ranger stealth utility could make comeback in some form? I could imagine SB or GS getting stealth treatment as well.

meh, they shouldn’t make it widely available, or else, it will go back to the good old days were it was all about SB. It would also be lame, and we would just become some kinda “weird thief”

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

it is built towards utilizing that burst. While the rest of the time, you can provide a very high, but steady damage.

in Ranger

Posted by: Tsohg.1798

Tsohg.1798

meh, they shouldn’t make it widely available, or else, it will go back to the good old days were it was all about SB. It would also be lame, and we would just become some kinda “weird thief”

My first thought of a ranger is hiding in the bush scouting a target. Laying down traps, being silent, unmatched in the woods. The only knowledge of said ranger is when you find a dead guard or bandit, with 3 shafted arrows in his chest, back, or neck.

A thief is more hidden in the crowds, or uses underhanded tactics. Ball shot, poison, prepared explosions, never being seen. Throwing coins so urchins cover his escape, using friends, caltrops, rusty spikes.

I see a mesmer as putting on a show, fooling you without you ever looking away. I don’t see mesmers having stealth.

See that hill? Thats where i’ll be, raining hell upon you.

in Ranger

Posted by: elprimo.4398

elprimo.4398

Dude everyone has a ranger now o.O

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

My first thought of a ranger is hiding in the bush scouting a target. Laying down traps, being silent, unmatched in the woods. The only knowledge of said ranger is when you find a dead guard or bandit, with 3 shafted arrows in his chest, back, or neck.

A thief is more hidden in the crowds, or uses underhanded tactics. Ball shot, poison, prepared explosions, never being seen. Throwing coins so urchins cover his escape, using friends, caltrops, rusty spikes.

I see a mesmer as putting on a show, fooling you without you ever looking away. I don’t see mesmers having stealth.

If you’ve ever seen the move Now You See Me, that’s how mesmers stealth, they manipulate your attention to where they want it and use their sleight of hand and illusions to get what they want and to escape, they blind side you while you’re staring in awe at them and their show.

Classic Misdirection!

in Ranger

Posted by: Killsmith.8169

Killsmith.8169

Nevermind.

You’re right though. A guaranteed crit every 9.5 seconds is about 11% crit chance on a longbow. The benefit is that you can pick the hit that criticals. That’s important in a PvP setting, maybe not as much in a PvE setting. Maul would be the exception, but by taking remorseless, you’re losing signet of the hunt and signet of the wild. The better option for controlled burst would be to take signet of the beast master and use the two signets and the sigil that makes your next hit after swapping weapons a critical.

(edited by Killsmith.8169)

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Nevermind.

You’re right though. A guaranteed crit every 9.5 seconds is about 11% crit chance on a longbow. The benefit is that you can pick the hit that criticals. That’s important in a PvP setting, maybe not as much in a PvE setting.

It’s important in both, not to mention you can make sure that 1000+ range longbow shot crits, and that’s going to HURT, i’ve seen those things hit for double digits before, GG if you get hit by one of those while you have 25 vuln and that ranger was given 25 might lol

in Ranger

Posted by: Killsmith.8169

Killsmith.8169

Nevermind.

You’re right though. A guaranteed crit every 9.5 seconds is about 11% crit chance on a longbow. The benefit is that you can pick the hit that criticals. That’s important in a PvP setting, maybe not as much in a PvE setting.

It’s important in both, not to mention you can make sure that 1000+ range longbow shot crits, and that’s going to HURT, i’ve seen those things hit for double digits before, GG if you get hit by one of those while you have 25 vuln and that ranger was given 25 might lol

I edited my post a little. The thing to keep in mind is that remorseless competes with signet of the beastmaster. If you want to control burst, why not take the crit on weapon swap sigil and pop SotH and SotW?

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Nevermind.

I edited my post a little. The thing to keep in mind is that remorseless competes with signet of the beastmaster. If you want to control burst, why not take the crit on weapon swap sigil and pop SotH and SotW?

Because i like to not be a one trick pony who activates all my skills for my burst and would much rather pop one 9.5s CD skill that’s both a shield and a sword and use my utilities to inhibit my enemies from killing me.

Doesn’t matter how hard you can hit for your 10s of strength when i can just slip away and keep up my remorseless and relentless assault from afar.