When are ranger pet names going to be saved?

in Ranger

Posted by: OMNIBUS.2913

OMNIBUS.2913

I’d like to be able switch pets without renaming them over and over again. This is a utility i feel should have been in since the beginning of the game. Juvenile(insert animal) is lame.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fordel.3208

Fordel.3208

The answer is probably never, it’s a limitation of how ANET implemented the pet database.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

They will fix this in GW3

in Ranger

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

“The answer is probably never, it’s a limitation of how ANET implemented the pet database.”

They can hold it on a local file and send it to the server when you log on or switch pets. Players can already change the name on the client and it gets sent it to the server so you wouldn’t have thought there would be any problem here at all.

in Ranger

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

“The answer is probably never, it’s a limitation of how ANET implemented the pet database.”

They can hold it on a local file and send it to the server when you log on or switch pets. Players can already change the name on the client and it gets sent it to the server so you wouldn’t have thought there would be any problem here at all.

But this solution makes sense. Anet would never dare to do anything like that.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

I doubt it’s technical limit or something they can’t do. Let’s think about this. If you were in charge, with all the tasks on their master schedule, is there any reason to fix the pet name database? Maybe it would get priority during a QoL patch but they clearly have bigger priorities somewhere else.

My guess would be to expect it when they decide to overhaul the pet GUI. I’m sure that will happen in later versions because, let’s face it, it’s underwhelming they way pets are organized. Overall, the current GUI is functional for an advanced player or dev however, it is not user friendly or functional for the wider gameplay audience.

When? Haha, don’t even ask them, right? It will be a while. I bet it’s only barely on their radar.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in Ranger

Posted by: Imagi.4561

Imagi.4561

Just name all of your pets something like “Sparky,” and it’s a non-issue.

#ELEtism
By Ogden’s hammer, what savings!

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

You mean just paste the same name in and keep it on the clipboard? That’s an incredibly awkward workaround.

Edit: Reinterpretting your question, if you mean “sparky” because it’s easy to remember I will reach through the screen and slap your face with molten guantlets. We know our pets names because we made them up. That’s not the issue.

The annoyance—yes, the bug—is making us type it in every time we switch pets. Oh I need a new pet in between dungeon phases, well, good luck typing that in without falling behind. Lol good grief

(edited by Chopps.5047)

in Ranger

Posted by: Imagi.4561

Imagi.4561

You mean just paste the same name in and keep it on the clipboard? That’s an incredibly awkward workaround.

Edit: Reinterpretting your question, if you mean “sparky” because it’s easy to remember I will reach through the screen and slap your face with molten guantlets. We know our pets names because we made them up. That’s not the issue.

The annoyance—yes, the bug—is making us type it in every time we switch pets. Oh I need a new pet in between dungeon phases, well, good luck typing that in without falling behind. Lol good grief

As entertaining as your comment was, I think you missed the idea of my post. Naming all your pets “Sparky” is an awkward and immersion-breaking workaround, and that’s the point. We shouldn’t have to do that just so the current naming system makes sense.

It was sarcasm.

#ELEtism
By Ogden’s hammer, what savings!

in Ranger

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

I name my River Drake Sparky! It just seems appropriate since it does spit little lightning bolts at enemies when I tell it to!

in Ranger

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

I wonder this too….. will it ever happen?

Kima & Co

in Ranger

Posted by: trapline.8541

trapline.8541

Well here’s the down low.
Rangers are pretty low on the list for development time, and since we don’t see much in the way of patches that address the issues we bring to the forums, I’d say something like pet names would be right under “add in item hotbar” to the development list.

in Ranger

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Not to mention, name of the pet was saved in all MMOs, even World of Warcraft from start erm…7,8 years ago?

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

Lol totally joking ab the gloves thought you were 10% sarcastic and like 90% trolling

in Ranger

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

What’s the use of us naming the pet if we cannot save it. Log in, and first thing to do is name the pet?

in Ranger

Posted by: Relair.1843

Relair.1843

It already saves 4 pet names, 2 on land 2 in water, do you really switch them around that much? I mean sure you might have a pair for wvw or dungeons, but generally I keep the same 2 in place otherwise. Can always keep one of the swaps as your faithful named pet and use the other slot for trying stuff out. I can kind of see why they don’t do it for dozens and dozens of pets, I mean that’s alot of data to keep for a 3 second inconvenience to people once in awhile. I’d love for it to happen don’t get me wrong, the more convenient the better, I can just see why its not high on the priority list.

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

Yes, I use different pets in zerg and roam, and I use many pets in dungeons depending on if i need ranged pets or specific buffs. A ranger who doesn’t hot swap pets is underperforming.

in Ranger

OMNIBUS.2913

It already saves 4 pet names, 2 on land 2 in water, do you really switch them around that much? I mean sure you might have a pair for wvw or dungeons, but generally I keep the same 2 in place otherwise. Can always keep one of the swaps as your faithful named pet and use the other slot for trying stuff out. I can kind of see why they don’t do it for dozens and dozens of pets, I mean that’s alot of data to keep for a 3 second inconvenience to people once in awhile. I’d love for it to happen don’t get me wrong, the more convenient the better, I can just see why its not high on the priority list.

I dont switch them around that much. Generally keep jaguar and lynx. Reason being though is because i don’t want to rename them lol. If you could switch pets and they kept their names i would switch them waaaay more often.

in Ranger

OMNIBUS.2913

Not to mention, name of the pet was saved in all MMOs, even World of Warcraft from start erm…7,8 years ago?

This in a nutshell. Its silly that its not a feature in this game.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sina.9208

Sina.9208

To be honest, there are so many broken ranger features-weapons that I would rather have them fix those first.

in Ranger

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

The answer is probably never, it’s a limitation of how ANET implemented the pet database.

No it’s not. My Reef Drake always retains the original name I gave it.
I’ve never had to rename it once, not even after major patches.

in Ranger

Posted by: Tyops.5894

Tyops.5894

Odd.. I thought this had actually been fixed but never announced. Will have to test again.

NSP Why bother?….

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

That’s because you also have reef drake equipped underwater.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fordel.3208

Fordel.3208

That’s because you also have reef drake equipped underwater.

Yea, that’s what is happening. It confused me for awhile too when I was swapping pets around, why some pets seemed to remember who they were while others didn’t.

I’ve gotten extremely lazy in my pet swapping though, I’m either just jerking around in solo pve map completion stuff, or I’m armpit deep in some mega zerg where it just doesn’t matter what pet I have, it’s dead.

So it’s drakes, drakes all the way up and down! River and Marsh, since their F2’s actually hit things sometimes and have a little range. Bozak and Kapak respectively.

in Ranger

OMNIBUS.2913

Ty Ty ty for finally doing this. The first thing I’m doing when I log in is naming all my pets!

(edited by OMNIBUS.2913)

in Ranger

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

Ty Ty ty for finally doing this. The first thing I’m doing when I log in is naming all my pets!

Like kitten seriously? Did you necro kitten post a post from 2 years ago?

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

Like kitten seriously? Did you necro kitten post a post from 2 years ago?

Well it was his post to begin with!

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

in Ranger

Posted by: Widowmaker Z.4802

Widowmaker Z.4802

Well people yell when a new thread gets started when others exists about the same thing.

in Ranger

Posted by: Moderator

This is an old thread and is now locked.