While new tequatl 1shot our pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

I hate to be negative before we see the new content but between the pet lease and other pet issues with some targets in the game I would be surprised if the pet will even attack Teq at all then we are stuck with pet standing in front of use doing nothing unless we need the F2 for say a bear condi cleanse or moa protection.

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

in Ranger

Posted by: SynfulChaot.3169

SynfulChaot.3169

And I wholeheartedly agree with the (potential) prot on dodge change. Remember that it applies the prot to us as well, so most of that prot was wasted during our dodge leaving us with less than a second of usable protection. If we want it to help our pet, then we need to dodge a tad bit earlier now. So I don’t see that one as a nerf, but as a buff.

What people don’t seem to get was that the protection was more for the pet than the ranger. The pet is incapable of dodging. So I would dodge when something big was about to happen. I avoid all damage and hopefully keep my pet up. Now if I dodge early just to get protection sure it works for the pet, but now I’m also taking damage.

The protection was equally for both. I’ve used that trait to save both my own kitten and my pets on many occasions. Yes, now helping your pet will require more skill, but also now you’re actually getting the full benefit of the trail yourself. Ideally the pet should have protection starting when you dodge and ending when yours ends, but baby steps.

Tarnished Coast – Wayfarer’s Accord [Way]
Main: Caeimhe – Sylvari Ranger
Alts: Charr Guardian, Asura Elementalist, Human Thief, Norn Necromancer

in Ranger

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Link to the leaked patch notes, please~

http://pastebin.com/sXHq6fZt

So what happened to all the class changes in the patch?

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

That’s for October 15th

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

That’s for October 15th

UGH…

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

That’s for October 15th

UGH…

I feel ya man, super bummed that there was literally NO prof balance this patch…

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

SynfulChaot.3169

I feel ya man, super bummed that there was literally NO prof balance this patch…

Nope. Balance should be coming Oct 1st and/or 15th. ’til then we gotta get used to near useless pets during the Teq fight. T.T

in Ranger

Posted by: ChillyChinaman.6057

ChillyChinaman.6057

Nope. Balance should be coming Oct 1st and/or 15th. ’til then we gotta get used to near useless pets during the Teq fight. T.T

So is it actually a OHK? To pet and/or players?

in Ranger

SynfulChaot.3169

So is it actually a OHK? To pet and/or players?

Only one attack is a pure OHKO. And it only fires if the group fails a particular segment of the fight. And it is possible to survive if you are ready for it. Well, for you. Your pet will die to that attack regardless.

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

That AE water thingy that you have to jump over kitten near kills a pet in one hit. Sure feels like Teq does that more than once every 20 seconds to rotate between.

Really not a pet friendly fight in the least.

in Ranger

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

So um, since tequatl needs players at various areas like defending the cannons and such cant you just stay away from the waves and still get credit? I mean that is assuming people can ever actually get organized enough to down the kitten thing lol

in Ranger

Atherakhia.4086

So um, since tequatl needs players at various areas like defending the cannons and such cant you just stay away from the waves and still get credit? I mean that is assuming people can ever actually get organized enough to down the kitten thing lol

If you want to miss the entire encounter and stick to the turrets until the quarterly marks, yes you can. However, the fight seems to favor range.

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

It’s rather hilarious when the water wave will deal 4800 to me and yet intsagib my pet. If there has ever been an example of pets needing either more damage reduction or to receive stat bonuses from our gear it’s this event.

No reason an npc with equal or more life than me should one hit from something that does less than 1/4 of my life.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

Posted by: ChillyChinaman.6057

ChillyChinaman.6057

It’s rather hilarious when the water wave will deal 4800 to me and yet intsagib my pet. If there has ever been an example of pets needing either more damage reduction or to receive stat bonuses from our gear it’s this event.

No reason an npc with equal or more life than me should one hit from something that does less than 1/4 of my life.

What’s your armor/toughness? When I used to run Knight’s I got about 3k/2k armor/toughness from gear.

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

Not to harp on the ridiculousness of the teq fight itself, but has anybody found a useful pet combination yet? The most useful I’ve been able to get my pet to be, is for me to take a position off to the side of Teq with piercing arrows (give an idea on the strategy I’m referencing: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/tequatl/Guide-Damaging-Tequatl-Guide/first#post2860449) and have the pet attacking Fingers.

However, if a few of them decide to AoE in my/my pets direction, it’s like a nightmare trying make sure it survives, depending on the amount of AoE fields that get thrown down, since they pulse for crazy amounts of damage for a long time, and pets can’t seem to help but wander back into them at times.

Still, with good management and awareness, the pet hasn’t died yet. Of course, my server hasn’t even gotten teq down passed 75% yet, and I already went back to champ farming, so I can’t comment on anything else.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

SynfulChaot.3169

Not to harp on the ridiculousness of the teq fight itself, but has anybody found a useful pet combination yet? The most useful I’ve been able to get my pet to be, is for me to take a position off to the side of Teq with piercing arrows (give an idea on the strategy I’m referencing: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/tequatl/Guide-Damaging-Tequatl-Guide/first#post2860449) and have the pet attacking Fingers.

However, if a few of them decide to AoE in my/my pets direction, it’s like a nightmare trying make sure it survives, depending on the amount of AoE fields that get thrown down, since they pulse for crazy amounts of damage for a long time, and pets can’t seem to help but wander back into them at times.

Still, with good management and awareness, the pet hasn’t died yet. Of course, my server hasn’t even gotten teq down passed 75% yet, and I already went back to champ farming, so I can’t comment on anything else.

As no pets have more than 900 range and they have a tendancy to stand in AoEs as well as an inability to avoid the water pulses … yeah, there are no good pets for the fight. >.<

I halfway want to run spirits to buff my allies, but I’ve a feeling that even traited spirits will die to the waves.

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

As no pets have more than 900 range and they have a tendancy to stand in AoEs as well as an inability to avoid the water pulses … yeah, there are no good pets for the fight. >.<

I halfway want to run spirits to buff my allies, but I’ve a feeling that even traited spirits will die to the waves.

I’m honestly not even going back to teq until I see some proof that a server can reliably beat it over and over again, aka, not a last ditch struggle from the most populated servers to complete it once just for bragging rights without being able to actually confidently complete the event every time it pops.

So I’m not even going to worry about it lol. It seems like just a colossal waste of time to me, and it’s even more depressing to have to manage the hell out of my pet or just let it die over and over again, only to watch a boss lose 10-15% of its health and fly away.

in Ranger

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

alright I gave the Tequilla a shot, and it killed my pet instantly somehow.
Incredibly easy to avoid Waves…. it’s like JUMPROPE…. you like jumprope Stewy??

But Way too advanced for our Pets apparently. We’ll never teach them to jump… They can bring someone back from deaths door like a Doctor, but jumping is FOREVER BEYOND THEM. So Instead of DPS’ing at full capacity, I spend the whole fight watching my dead Pet’s switching-bar count down from 45 or whatever it is so it can help me clear these turrets of Vets & champs & junk.

I don’t have this problem against Giganticus Lupicus or other insane damage Bosses by the way. I can keep all but a Stalker alive versus everything from Alphard & Alpha to the SpiderQueen & Wraith Champs.

What’s your armor/toughness? When I used to run Knight’s I got about 3k/2k armor/toughness from gear.

I can definitely confirm what Substance just said. While running pure Valk’s, I’ll take maybe 5k damage from the Waves but the BlackWidow dies instantly or loses 95% of its HP which it didn’t have to spare in the first place since there’s all these other random poison fields and junk everywhere.

(edited by ilr.9675)

in Ranger

SynfulChaot.3169

I’m honestly not even going back to teq until I see some proof that a server can reliably beat it over and over again, aka, not a last ditch struggle from the most populated servers to complete it once just for bragging rights without being able to actually confidently complete the event every time it pops.

So I’m not even going to worry about it lol. It seems like just a colossal waste of time to me, and it’s even more depressing to have to manage the hell out of my pet or just let it die over and over again, only to watch a boss lose 10-15% of its health and fly away.

Both Tarnished Coast and Blackgate have decent successes of at least two times a day, if not more. Don’t go in expecting a win the first time, though. As people cycle through, there are occasional gaffes and people learning the encounter that cause failures. But nearly all of the failures are near wins. Unfortunately, near wins are still losses.

alright I gave the Tequilla a shot, and it killed my pet instantly somehow.
Incredibly easy to avoid Waves…. it’s like JUMPROPE…. you like jumprope Stewy??

But Way too advanced for our Pets apparently. We’ll never teach them to jump… They can bring someone back from deaths door like a Doctor, but jumping is FOREVER BEYOND THEM. So Instead of DPS’ing at full capacity, I spend the whole fight watching my dead Pet’s switching-bar count down from 45 or whatever it is so it can help me clear these turrets of Vets & champs & junk.

I don’t have this problem against Giganticus Lupicus or other insane damage Bosses by the way. I can keep all but a Stalker alive versus everything from Alphard & Alpha to the SpiderQueen & Wraith Champs.

Yeah. Those waves are pet and spirit killers. Kind of like the shock-walls in Aetherblade Retreat. Yet more content that was obviously not designed with pets in mind. Or maybe pets were not designed with complex encounters in mind.

Either way, rangers are a liability in the main zerg. They are better utilized on turrets or on turret defense. In the zerg itself you’ll just have to put up with lower DPS than any other class can output due to your pet spending a majority of the battle kissing the floor.

Honestly if I want to partake in the main zerg I take my ele or guardian. I hate not taking my main, but unfortunately I know that we, as rangers, are just too much of a liability there atm…

in Ranger

Posted by: Mardermann.7468

Mardermann.7468

And i dont think that the increased health for pets is their solution by any means…. i think this is just a start or at least i hope so

Yeah. I think it’s just a start. Something to tide us over until the true pet fixes get found and implemented.[/quote]

You really, really think so?
the AI is complete garbage, you really think they do something like rewrite it?
I dont believe it one bit… I think thats it… we get some halfdone hitpoint raise and thats it…
We already got the “if the pet has no aggro it goes behind the mob” thing (losing damage watching the pet reposition itself with the kitten pathfinding it got is actually quite funny sometimes) – I think I dont want any more “fixes”, thanks you

in Ranger

SynfulChaot.3169

Yeah. I think it’s just a start. Something to tide us over until the true pet fixes get found and implemented.

You really, really think so?
the AI is complete garbage, you really think they do something like rewrite it?

Yes. Yes, I do think that they will. It’s necessary for the ranger to remain viable long-term and I don’t believe that ANet is so short-sighted as to not fix what is visibly broken.

Yes, it’s not been fixed yet. Rewriting an AI is no small feat, after all. But I strongly believe that they are working on it.

I dont believe it one bit… I think thats it… we get some halfdone hitpoint raise and thats it…
We already got the “if the pet has no aggro it goes behind the mob” thing (losing damage watching the pet reposition itself with the kitten pathfinding it got is actually quite funny sometimes) – I think I dont want any more “fixes”, thanks you

You see that it’s broken and you don’t want it fixed? I’m sorry that you’re so jaded.

The rest of us will keep the torch burning for you, though. Don’t worry. ^.^

in Ranger

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

You strongly believe they can fix it? I have a bridge in brooklyn to sell you!

After all the patches I’ve seen come and go it’s been nothing but band-aid low-resource-absorbing measures that don’t fix the core mechanic. Nor have they hinted at anything other than that. I do not believe they are capable of fixing the pet AI nor that Areanet as a company wants to devote the resources neccessary to rewrite the entire AI code for the pets.

I do, however, belive that eventually logical reasoning will shine through and they will eventually give us the ability to perma-stow despite saying otherwise given the low-cost in doing so versus rewritting the AI. Yes, perma-stow will solve the majority of the Ranger problems because the majority of the Ranger problems lay within the pet that they cannot or will not fix.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

in Ranger

SynfulChaot.3169

You strongly believe they can fix it? I have a bridge in brooklyn to sell you!

After all the patches I’ve seen come and go it’s been nothing but band-aid low-resource-absorbing measures that don’t fix the core mechanic. Nor have they hinted at anything other than that. I do not believe they are capable of fixing the pet AI nor that Areanet as a company wants to devote the resources neccessary to rewrite the entire AI code for the pets.

I do, however, belive that eventually logical reasoning will shine through and they will eventually give us the ability to perma-stow despite saying otherwise given the low-cost in doing so versus rewritting the AI. Yes, perma-stow will solve the majority of the Ranger problems because the majority of the Ranger problems lay within the pet that they cannot or will not fix.

They’ll patch the AI long before they’ll let us remove our pets. They are very stalwart about rangers being about the pet. I don’t think they’ll ever give us a perma-stow option that will return any damage to us. In GW2, ranger == pet. They have been very clear about this from launch.

If we do get perma-stow, it’s only use will be when running or platforming without our pet getting in the way. Nothing more.

in Ranger

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

We already have that stow option while we run to and from or while platforming… And, I will still hold out hope, while I play my guardian, that the Lead Game Designer pulls his head out of his bum and sees the light of logic and common sense thus ordering his minions to give us the perma-stow option making a large portion of the Ranger player base happy with the game causing us to want to spend money on gems making more money for NC Soft/Anet.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

(edited by thefantasticg.3984)

in Ranger

ilr.9675

What would be the point of stowing the Pet??

It’s already permanently out of combat the instant it dies

in Ranger

Posted by: Fomby.4295

Fomby.4295

I always assumed that if we could perma stow the pet, then the f2 would still be functional. So there’s that.

Maguuma [PYRO]
Kal Snow – Norn Guardian

in Ranger

SynfulChaot.3169

Because some people still want rangers without pets. They must not have read the ranger description before choosing the class or something.

in Ranger

ilr.9675

I always assumed….

I’m guessing there’s a LOT of things that are always assumed here when it comes to Stowing …right?…. As in compensation?

in Ranger

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Has anyone tried with a bird pet to see if they can’t jump the wave either? I think we know what the answer will be.

Healing spring – yeah bad, bad, bad change if it has less duration. I had a lot of fun dodging around Mai Lin in my healing spring and that’s exactly the sort of fight where I want extended condition cures. Less finishers of all types in a shorter duration spring as well. If I wanted a bigger heal up front I’d use one of the other heals, end of argument.

in Ranger

SynfulChaot.3169

Has anyone tried with a bird pet to see if they can’t jump the wave either? I think we know what the answer will be.

Still gets hit. Flying pets mean nothing special. The wings are just for show.

Healing spring – yeah bad, bad, bad change if it has less duration. I had a lot of fun dodging around Mai Lin in my healing spring and that’s exactly the sort of fight where I want extended condition cures. Less finishers of all types in a shorter duration spring as well. If I wanted a bigger heal up front I’d use one of the other heals, end of argument.

Don’t forget that even if it’s duration is shortened, it will still be the longest water field in the game. Ranger will even remain the class that can maintain water fields the longest. Still longer than a staff ele.

Yes, it is a nerf. Yes, it will affect us in PvE. I’ve kinda been expecting it for a while, though. Healing Spring really is that powerful and has been, IMHO, the most powerful group heal in the game. The good thing is that it’s raw healing and condi clearing capability is unhindered. All we’re losing is 5 seconds of water field. Well, and a lot of vigor if traited. That is the real nerf.

in Ranger

Posted by: Searban.5984

Searban.5984

We already have that stow option while we run to and from or while platforming… And, I will still hold out hope, while I play my guardian, that the Lead Game Designer pulls his head out of his bum and sees the light of logic and common sense thus ordering his minions to give us the perma-stow option making a large portion of the Ranger player base happy with the game causing us to want to spend money on gems making more money for NC Soft/Anet.

Since you keep extrapolating your opinion on certain “large group of people”, it’s only fair to mention that there are also players who would be VERY unhappy if Anet were to solve this matter the way you insist on.

But you also keep ignoring the fact that perma-stow is nowhere near as simple solution as you make it sound to be. Every class has certain class-defining mechanics, that are being utilized by players regardless of the build they’re running. Adrenaline for Warriors, Life Force for Necros, Virtues for Guardians, etc. Pets are this mechanic for rangers.

If they were to introduce perma-stow and give damage back to Rangers, pets would cease to be such mechanic. Consequently, they would have to come up with something to replace it, for at least 2 reasons.

Firstly, to keep, at least partially, the consistency of general class design in the entire game. If every class has unique mechanic that is present in its gameplay, regardless of build, then Rangers can’t be different.

Secondly, if the Rangers will be capable of doing 100% of its damage, but will lack any special mechanic, they will STILL be kitten in comparison with all other classes.

What is more, introducing perma-stow would also require a huge overhaul of traits, as many of them are designed to work for a pet class after all.

Personally, I don’t like the idea of perma-stow in general. But what is even more important for me is that so far I’m yet to see any suggestion that would actually acknowledge that introducing perma-stow is not a simple case of solving all the problems by adding one button to the game.

(edited by Searban.5984)

in Ranger

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

“But what is even more important for me is that so far I’m yet to see any suggestion that would actually acknowledge that introducing perma-stow is not a simple case of solving all the problems by adding one button to the game.”

Whoa! Perma stow isn’t good because it doesn’t solve every problem in the game? Perma stow solves a number of problems even if rangers have ineffective traits and utilities, even if rangers have no extra bonuses while the pet is stowed.

in Ranger

SynfulChaot.3169

“But what is even more important for me is that so far I’m yet to see any suggestion that would actually acknowledge that introducing perma-stow is not a simple case of solving all the problems by adding one button to the game.”

Whoa! Perma stow isn’t good because it doesn’t solve every problem in the game? Perma stow solves a number of problems even if rangers have ineffective traits and utilities, even if rangers have no extra bonuses while the pet is stowed.

Actually perma-stow with no benefits attached to it only really benefits you in JPs. Outside of that, it doesn’t really help you anywhere if your pet is set to passive. A dead pet is no different than a stowed pet when it comes to combat. Both are equally ineffective.

in Ranger

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

Fastest I’ve seen my pet die after a pet swop, about 1.5 seconds………………….

And I hate seeing my pet hobbling around twisted and broken.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

in Ranger

Posted by: Searban.5984

Searban.5984

It’s a way of thinking that can be portrayed with a short story:

“Doctor, the patient has a nasty, bleeding wound on his leg.” – “We must cut the whole leg off!” – “But…” – “It will stop the bleeding” – “But we can’t even offer the patient a prosthesis!” – “Doesn’t matter, it will stop the bleeding!”

Simply introducing perma-stow can solve one problem – damage deficit Rangers suffer from when their pets are either dead or unable to hit the target. That’s it. But it will create a number of other problems: lack of the class mechanic, more useless traits, more lackluster utilities.

The longer I think about it, the more I get the impression that vast majority of perma-stow advocates are people who simply ignored all the class descriptions before creating their characters and now just want to change the Rangers so it fits their image of the class, regardless of the consequences.

in Ranger

ilr.9675

^Yeah that pretty much sums it up.

Not to mention: You don’t deserve a straight up damage buff in the first place just b/c you clicked a little blue button on your screen somewhere. That’s not how you should earn more damage back. Damage should always be a reward for coordination and reflexes. Not just a permanent buff you get b/c you pushed a button once. (even awful zerker warriors have to put more effort in than that)

in Ranger

Atherakhia.4086

^Yeah that pretty much sums it up.

Not to mention: You don’t deserve a straight up damage buff in the first place just b/c you clicked a little blue button on your screen somewhere. That’s not how you should earn more damage back. Damage should always be a reward for coordination and reflexes. Not just a permanent buff you get b/c you pushed a button once. (even awful zerker warriors have to put more effort in than that)

If they introduced a stow option, the Ranger most certainly would be due a straight up damage buff in the first place. The Ranger’s weapon and skill coefficients are held down due to the fact we have a pet. Should the Ranger class be changed to make the pet optional, the coefficients shouldn’t be handicapped for the pet the player doesn’t wish to use. Especially if the Ranger loses access to the F2 and passive abilities the pets use.

Now that all said doesn’t change the fact that we’ll never lose the pet. But that also doesn’t mean we shouldn’t continue to discuss the pet as ANet has let it go unfixed now for a year.

Before a Ranger’s damage should be handicapped at all, the following absolutely needs to work without question:

Pets should be able to hit moving targets.
Pets should gain aegis whenever the Ranger dodgs or uses a skill that evades.
F2 abilities should work when pressed and override all other actions the pet is doing.
F2 abilities should have a .5 second cast. They can have whatever aftercase ANet wants.
Attack and Recall should be on a single button using a basic script.

That’s at a minimum before we even start discussing weapon and skill coefficients. Once the above works we can discuss things like:

F3 being assigned the pet secondary abilities and work just like F2.
Adjusting all pets to do the same damage AND ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
Reducing pet damage to adjust Ranger coefficients up
***OR***
Give pets a baseline stat and allow scaling based on the Ranger’s gear

Now as you can see, that’s quite a lot of work that needs to be done. The amount of work you would have expected spread out over a year in fact. But nothing has changed. Pets are awful, they are more of a hindrance than an asset, and you can’t really fault people who don’t want the pet mechanic holding back the class anymore. If ANet showed even the slightest interest in the class you’d probably see more players embracing the faulty pet mechanic. It’s been a year though and at this point players just want it to go away because ANet doesn’t seem willing/able to make things right.

(edited by Atherakhia.4086)

in Ranger

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

They shouldn’t move these threads to the ranger forum. It’s not just a ranger issue, it’s a design issue with the new content. If the people responsible for working on the ranger aren’t implementing the tools to keep pets useful, the people designing the content to to account for pets when designing it. This is a design issue as much as it is a ranger issue.

in Ranger

Posted by: Heiltdo.2891

Heiltdo.2891

Pet Down!
Not my Pet!
Ahhh poor thing!

in Ranger

SynfulChaot.3169

— snip —

No. People have been wanting pets gone since they first started rolling rangers. From day one. Which is not the Guild Wars 2 ranger. It may have been option in GW1, but this is not GW1.

Yes, there has been little visible effort on fixing the pet. I feel that a great deal of that stems from the fact that up until recently it has seemed that all game balance was done around PvP and PvP only. And in PvP, the pet AI is not the hinderance that it is in WvW and PvE.

Now that it seems that some care is actually being made to balance the game outside of PvP, we should start seeing more changes and improvements. Especially to the pet.

in Ranger

Atherakhia.4086

— snip —

No. People have been wanting pets gone since they first started rolling rangers. From day one. Which is not the Guild Wars 2 ranger. It may have been option in GW1, but this is not GW1.

Yes, there has been little visible effort on fixing the pet. I feel that a great deal of that stems from the fact that up until recently it has seemed that all game balance was done around PvP and PvP only. And in PvP, the pet AI is not the hinderance that it is in WvW and PvE.

Now that it seems that some care is actually being made to balance the game outside of PvP, we should start seeing more changes and improvements. Especially to the pet.

That’s also hard to prove since the pet has never improved and the F2 functions are so horribly implemented. I’m convinced that if the pet was marginally useful the players would learn to adopt it. I’d wager people would at least try to use it if they had any kind of reassurance from ANet that the problems they’re voicing are legitimate.

in Ranger

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

“Don’t be daft, they are just making the bow out of 2 matchsticks and a rubber band……………”

This should be a skin, I will use it! :P

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

I was assigned zerker front lines on desolation a couple nights ago. Sig of beast / sig of stone, healer’s celerity (rez faster), troll (cmon, water field wasn’t worth it, gimme a break here…I gotta live!), spirit elite, protect me, quickening zephyr, siamoth/bird

My job was to not only DPS teq but also hit mobs approaching front lines. Longbow knockback was used to keep bloated creepers back. Sword and warhorn, sword&board with bird after megalaser hits teq.

I never went down as a front line zerker ranger because I was able to use ranger’s fantastic range attacks with longbow while kiting red circle aoe. Yes, I know, turrets protect but sometimes you take damage. I was able to keep up DPS, kite damage, and then get back in to drop spirit elite and rez. I felt very useful.

Our strat was 4 commanders: 2 defense and 2 offense. A ten on wester turrets defense, 15 on eastern turret defense, and one offensive on each toe. GG

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in Ranger

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

So you ran in circles and used range attacks? How many other classes can do that?

Also, front lines…you are telling us the pet never went down?

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

• Pet died during first part (did a lot of rezzing)
  • teq down to about 90%, first megalaser event: both pets very useful, lots of pwning
  • Okay, okay, I used celestial trinkets, I suggest to do the same (or knights), or do the whole minimize crit loss per knights replacement if you’re crazy about min/max stats
  • used bird on teq along with sword during burn phases after laser events
  • desolation leaders Particular and friends are accomplished at teq and I didn’t have to work as hard as I did on the many unorganized losses I faced earlier in the day on deso main (which was deserted by competant leaders due to all the people guesting to deso)
  • we had over a minute left on victories: proper allocation of 100+ people is so key

In short, running in circles is a major oversimplification. I was saving people’s kittens.

Strategy is simple: allocate players in four squads, two offensive and two defensive. Practice moving from shore to each commander’s assigned points (laser or bat 1,2 or 3). Make sure experienced turreteers are manning the turrets. 15 high dps zerker / boon stacking players defensing east turrets. 10 on west turrets. The rest split between the offensive parties on the two toes. The commanders should know approximately where to stand on the maps (know where teq stands without looking at him). Keeping high, major boons and dps on the laser and bats are keys to victory. Do not leave laser or bats too early, or else the bloated creepers will go BBOOOM on them. I hope that helps anyone who is struggling.

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

Both Tarnished Coast and Blackgate have decent successes of at least two times a day, if not more. Don’t go in expecting a win the first time, though. As people cycle through, there are occasional gaffes and people learning the encounter that cause failures. But nearly all of the failures are near wins. Unfortunately, near wins are still losses.

It’s more simple than that for me; it just isn’t fun.

To elaborate, it isn’t fun to watch my pet die to mechanics I can avoid. It isn’t fun to wait around for hours for content that’s over in such a comparatively short amount of time, and it isn’t fun for success to be so loosely determined by your own contribution unless you are 1 of the 6 usually inept turret users.

It also doesn’t make sense with the whole living world concept. The goal of the player is to defeat the invading tequatl. If you fail the even, why does teq just fly away? He won, he succeeded, nobody was capable of thwarting him. So he….. I don’t know, I guess gets bored and leaves, and has no more interest of invading because the players were weak, and just drops some troll-y fish head bombs instead.

Not to mention that it’s open world content that requires immense amounts of organization and a group of people very dedicated to using extremely exclusive mechanics that have much too much sway over the failure or success of the event to be left up to bad/troll players, with the game offering no way of compensating for the lack of the use or proper use of the mechanic (I’ve suggested guilds being able to purchase turrets for x amount of time, and have members of that guild able to take control of the turrets and kick people off).

Lastly, and not exclusively to the new event (aka, something that has bugged me about PvE style content for awhile), is the issue that the events don’t scale well with the participating population. If only 20 people go to teq, it is literally impossible. Same with other events in the game, especially with the timer. Having group events is understandable, but they need to be able to account for low population. Players interested in doing content shouldn’t be punished because it isn’t popular with the rest of the community, or it isn’t a well populated server.

So all of those things, in their totality, just make it so that I won’t participate in teq.

in Ranger

SynfulChaot.3169

That’s also hard to prove since the pet has never improved and the F2 functions are so horribly implemented. I’m convinced that if the pet was marginally useful the players would learn to adopt it. I’d wager people would at least try to use it if they had any kind of reassurance from ANet that the problems they’re voicing are legitimate.

Yes, F2 has it’s issues. Oftentimes slow to react, many of the support F2 skills don’t provide much support (1 stack of regen isn’t much), and many of the offensive F2 skills don’t hit. And no, the pet hasn’t gotten any real update. Yet.

Those issues don’t affect PvP quite as much as PvE/WvW, so the focus on fixing them was not there. But again, and like I said before, as they are seeming to start working on balancing around PvE then we will see some of these improvements come to our pet.

The health buff is the first step. I believe I have read, as well, of future improvements to support F2 skills. And I have personally spoken to Sharp at PAX on the issue of the pet so I can understand where some of their issues with fixing the pets come from. You can choose to believe me or not, but the pet isn’t useless now and it will only get better from here.

As for ANet acknowledging the pet issue? They have. But most of the vocal people here just want the pet gone and don’t/won’t accept any potential fixes. To those players, I might recommend trying the warrior. But in GW2, rangers have pets.

— snip —

I know what you mean. I got my achievements. All of them. Achieved seven wins so far. Yay TC!

But as for doing it more? Time spent and reliance on such great numbers to all be perfectly coordinated with little room for error on anyone’s parts. And for such little reward.

I love the fight. I love the concept. Good strategies. One of the most dynamic fights in the game, if not the most dynamic. But it’s tuned just too far for most to find it reasonable. Or has too little reward. Either way, as much as I kinda enjoy it … I don’t enjoy it that much.

But we gotta wait and see how little it gets completed in the future. Until the numbers are found to be as dire as many of us predict, I don’t think ANet will change anything. But if they are, they most likely will.

(edited by SynfulChaot.3169)

in Ranger

Atherakhia.4086

I did Teq once. I don’t intend to go back unless they dramatically improve dragon loot. Fight is simply too hard to get only 1 or 2 more pieces of greens or yellows. If it were a fight a single guild could do with 20-30 people, it wouldn’t be so bad. But needing to coordinate the entire zone into a fight for such awful loot chances isn’t something I’m going to waste my time with after I killed it once.

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

Ya organizing people to beat teq later on will be something people do occasionally and never on a whim. Honestly, though, it’s really an easy fight so long as 4 squads of people (properly allocated) can move together. It really is easy, I think. People are too used to being coddled with AFK world boss fights from the past.

But that’s being harsh. Coddled? I’d say my biggest criticism is lack of NPCs explaining the fight to people. A strategy NPC describing roles, explaining turrets like we’re 5, and even describing the phases of the fight would have been nice.

in Ranger

Atherakhia.4086

Ya organizing people to beat teq later on will be something people do occasionally and never on a whim. Honestly, though, it’s really an easy fight so long as 4 squads of people (properly allocated) can move together. It really is easy, I think. People are too used to being coddled with AFK world boss fights from the past.

But that’s being harsh. Coddled? I’d say my biggest criticism is lack of NPCs explaining the fight to people. A strategy NPC describing roles, explaining turrets like we’re 5, and even describing the phases of the fight would have been nice.

Coming from WoW, it’s nothing in comparison and requires only a fraction of the effort or coordination that was required there. But I’m also in a guild that took 20mins to opperate the curtains in the guild puzzle this week so /meh

It was a fun change of pace, don’t get me wrong. But I’m only playing this game for the WvW and the amount of effort Teq requires now vs. the rewards received is out of whack. I don’t feel I should be handed ascendeds, don’t get me wrong. But could they have done something to better reward players? Each chest offering a black lion ticket scrap at the very least? I’d go back for the ticket scraps :/