Why can't rangers use pistols and rifles?

in Ranger

Posted by: Leviathan.7459

Leviathan.7459

Doesn’t make much sense to me.

in Ranger

Posted by: Deepcuts.9740

Deepcuts.9740

Rangers don’t have index fingers (from too much bow practice)
Thus, we cannot pull the trigger.

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Rangers don’t have index fingers (from too much bow practice)
Thus, we cannot pull the trigger.

The irony is the index finger is commonly used for archer wet (not required so long as your ring and middle finger are still there granted).

But probably for the same reason we can’t Mainhand dagger, use a hammer, or use a a staff (all of which were weapons that rangers used commonly in GW1).

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: Ramethzero.3785

Ramethzero.3785

I would kill for mainhand dagger.

For the Toast!
Tarnished Coast Server

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

I would kill for mainhand dagger.

I’d do horrible things to get a staff or Mainhand dagger for my ranger in GW2 lol

in Ranger

Posted by: Tragic Positive.9356

Tragic Positive.9356

Because being a Ranger doesn’t necessarily mean you are Chuck Norris, nor the Texas Ranger.

“Observe, learn and counter.”

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

I would kill for a staff or MH torch

in Ranger

Posted by: Seth.1308

Seth.1308

lol @ dual wielding torches…

but yes… Staff is a perfectly in-character weapon type for a Ranger and I’d love to see it. MH dagger would, hopefully, fill the PvE gap where MH sword isn’t quite the right tool.

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

Staff or Spear would be my dream.

Especially if they were focused around AOE control options (small AOE stun, AOE chill and AOE immob or knockdown) as that would synergize amazingly with pets.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

Posted by: quaniesan.8497

quaniesan.8497

but if both guns and bows are given to rangers, they will ask themselves “why the eff should I even keep this bow”

If ya no longer see me after this post,
it means THEY got me for " neg criticism in clever disguise".
Know that it has been fun and I love ya all.

in Ranger

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

I would replace my greatsword for a staff in an instant.

I’m hoping one day they have access to all/nearly all weapon sets on every class. would be awesome seeing all the different skills

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

Because anet said so.

Ranger | Elementalist

in Ranger

Posted by: warriorjrd.8695

warriorjrd.8695

Staff or Spear would be my dream.

Especially if they were focused around AOE control options (small AOE stun, AOE chill and AOE immob or knockdown) as that would synergize amazingly with pets.

Staff would also open up a lot of roles for wvw in zergs or guild play, which is something ranger really struggles with atm.

It is not what you do, but how and why you do it that counts.

in Ranger

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

Because being a Ranger doesn’t necessarily mean you are Chuck Norris, nor the Texas Ranger.

But they decided to make Cowboy ‘Texas Ranger’ trench coats and cowboy hats and face-hankerchiefs in abundance… it’s xxx-for-brains that “Rangers” can’t then flesh out this role with rifles and pistols.

Total design failure me thinks.

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

The loud discharging of our weapons would be more than painful to the ears of our faithful pet companions.

If you don’t believe me, let somebody fire a gun right next to your ear and let’s see how you like it.

Really though, the weapons we already have need to be fixed before anything new gets added to the game. ANY DAY NOW.

Oh, and as far as I know, for anybody interested in game balance as per the balance team, I believe that they are supposed to be having a balance discussion livestream on friday. Just saying. Ask the devs there why they made the longbow so bad we need another ranged weapon instead of it.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

Posted by: warriorjrd.8695

warriorjrd.8695

The loud discharging of our weapons would be more than painful to the ears of our faithful pet companions.

If you don’t believe me, let somebody fire a gun right next to your ear and let’s see how you like it.

Really though, the weapons we already have need to be fixed before anything new gets added to the game. ANY DAY NOW.

Oh, and as far as I know, for anybody interested in game balance as per the balance team, I believe that they are supposed to be having a balance discussion livestream on friday. Just saying. Ask the devs there why they made the longbow so bad we need another ranged weapon instead of it.

Considering that dogs can be trained to be hunting dogs, I don’t think gunfire would really be an issue. Then again, this is a game that is very, very far from reality :/

It is not what you do, but how and why you do it that counts.

in Ranger

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

Rangers are the profession, lore-wise, of being dedicated to nature. I believe the idea is that guns are a bit too new and artificial for the nature-magic class.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

Would be cool if Rangers were actually proficient with the bow, which they are not rly xD

in Ranger

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

I want hammer for rangers. Badly. It’s not because a norn ranger with big hammer looks kitten;) It’s only because hammer should have one more profession using it and out of all non heavies rangers seem the ones who are capable of waving around a 2h.

You must belive me!

(edited by ZeftheWicked.3076)

in Ranger

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

but if both guns and bows are given to rangers, they will ask themselves “why the eff should I even keep this bow”

Propably because common Arrows have better penetration than common spherical flintlock shots.

But gameplay-wise, rifles can be fired more often.

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

in Ranger

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

MH mace please. Anything to get rid of MH sword aa root.

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

Considering that dogs can be trained to be hunting dogs, I don’t think gunfire would really be an issue. Then again, this is a game that is very, very far from reality :/

I can’t even train my pets in this game to work with me to use more than just a single skill command on my command, and have to rely on them to use their other skills when they feel like it.

So, I don’t think we can train pets as well as that in this game lol.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kaizok.7839

Kaizok.7839

For my ranger… an exclusive weapon… a whip !!! Like a Tamer…

The pistols and rifles… they’re useless when you must to survive in a forest with a lot of humidity !

(edited by Kaizok.7839)

in Ranger

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

Rangers are the profession, lore-wise, of being dedicated to nature. I believe the idea is that guns are a bit too new and artificial for the nature-magic class.

People always say that but why do Rangers use spearguns underwater instead of tridents?

DISSSSSSSSEEED :P

… I still want tengu.

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

People always say that but why do Rangers use spearguns underwater instead of tridents?

DISSSSSSSSEEED :P

Cuz spearguns, even in modern days, are most commonly powered by elastic bands, unless you opt for the really powerful ones, in which case they do use gunpowder cartridges to fire the bolt.

Now, it is not hard to make sinew-bowstrings and then impregnate it with some waterproof concoction to prevent the water from making it lose its elastic properties.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zorby.8236

Zorby.8236

Because Ranger is the most nature-y profession and guns don’t go well with that.
(in ANet’s vision)

~This is the internet, my (or your) opinion doesn’t matter~

in Ranger

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

The classes need to do different things and have a different feel. Even if they use the same weapons they need different skills. Rifles are quite dull weapons and it’s hard to see what a ranger rifle would do that wouldn’t copy the warrior or engi skills. The thief dual pistol is the dullest of the thief weapon sets and it’s still hard to see what else it could do for a ranger.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

The classes need to do different things and have a different feel. Even if they use the same weapons they need different skills. Rifles are quite dull weapons and it’s hard to see what a ranger rifle would do that wouldn’t copy the warrior or engi skills. The thief dual pistol is the dullest of the thief weapon sets and it’s still hard to see what else it could do for a ranger.

You could fire magical shots that cause vines to grow around people for starters…

And personally, I like P/P thief a hell of a lot more than the other weapon sets, it’s a shot for every purpose.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lynnie.7213

Lynnie.7213

Because usually rangers use bows and fast meele weapons, like daggers. Its the way it is.

D O N E E
Necromancer – Ranger WvW/Spvp/Pve/Build/Guide videos:
http://www.youtube.com/donee

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

Ranger already have the 3rd highest weapon combo couple with the fact that as a whole ranger are not lacking in single target range combat, what kind of ability would be needed that also fits the weapon type.

I really the staff ideal, yet I can see the benefits of having an aoe weapon set.

While rifle and pistols will bring new skills, will they really be helping the class.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

in Ranger

Posted by: sendaf.8375

sendaf.8375

Anet PLEASE bring back the Bunny Thumper from GW1. Hammer ranger Rampage as One was fun and would totally fit in. Ranger Hammer would give Rangers a more offensive 2 handed weapon (since GS is a defensive weapon.) Hammer would focus on AoE and CC giving rangers a way to contribute in Zerg V Zerg fights.

Staff would also be a great addition. Make Staff Ranger a solid Beast master option with team support and pet buffs (retaliation for pets please)

Adding 2 weapons for each class seems like a very reasonable content update to me.

in Ranger

Posted by: Soilder.3607

Soilder.3607

If we do get a staff, I want it to be more “druidic” than “magical”, if you understand me.

Stormbluff Isle

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

If we do get a staff, I want it to be more “druidic” than “magical”, if you understand me.

Uh…. They’re about the same… Druidic magic is just magic gained through devotion to nature, granted that gives them access to things like growin stuff and making trees and other plants alive etc…

Tbh I’d like it to be a support weapon with boons and area control, the common opinion is that the auto would be Brambles and would snare and probably bleed.

in Ranger

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

The reason we’re not able to use pistols and rifles is the limit of weapon types a class can use. They wanted it to be equal, not logical. See the fillers…

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

in Ranger

ITheNormalPerson.9275

They wanted it to be equal

but… engineers…

also, haven’t they said they wanted to open up more/all weapon choices for every class?

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

They wanted it to be equal

but… engineers…

also, haven’t they said they wanted to open up more/all weapon choices for every class?

They have said that they want every prof to be able to use every weapon someday.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kahrgan.7401

Kahrgan.7401

Doesn’t make much sense to me.

Because a bow is more druidic (which anet says rangers lean towards) than a rifle or pistol.

Crossbows however are a different beast.

Don’t call anyone out on their BS, that’s an infraction and a deleted post. —Anet.

in Ranger

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Guns, no. I enjoy the nature themed dedication and I feel that guns violate that too heavily. Ranger’s don’t hunt animals, they form bonds with them. I would consider them closer to a hunter who kills animals for sport if they were to use guns and it would defeat the purpose of them having pets. That’s just imo, though.

As for staff, I’m not big on that idea either, however, I’m definitely not against it. I think making the staff a support weapon would be amazing. Such as being able to cast a variety of different water and ice fields.

Mainhand dagger, I agree with this completely and have wanted it for a very long time. Something that doesn’t have a complicated animation and maybe works similarly to the Necromancer’s mainhand dagger (no rooting).

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: adasda.2059

adasda.2059

Would it really make a difference? The development team would just figure out a way to make them totally useless.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

I dislike the idea of a gun on a ranger, bow is more in tune with their theme of nature woodsman. Guns are pre-industrial and just give a whole different vibe. That said I do recall anet saying they would be expanding weapon usage.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

Things in the game I’d like to see before guns (I’d prefer guns to be a never option, the bows already need enough improvements as is):

• Mainhand Dagger
  • Hammer
  • Staff
  • Mainhand and/or Offhand Mace

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

I WANT A SPEAR!!!!!

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

I WANT A SPEAR!!!!!

Go underwater lol.

in Ranger

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

I WANT A SPEAR!!!!!

YES! So much YES!

I want to recreate my GW1 ranger, and my main weapons was spear + shield.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

in Ranger

Posted by: snow.8097

snow.8097

I want a third mainhand option. Mace would be okay.
Staff would be great yes. But ranger is no caster class.
And staffs are more aoe weapons and anet is against an aoe able ranger.

What would be nice would be staffs as close combat weapon for us a la bojutsu or chains as 1H or 2H weapons

Safi/Clio Del Ray |Ranger, Elonas Reach,
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Suggestions-Gemstore-Items/page/31#post4533037
the skrittfinisher was my idea!

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

You know what would be incredible though?

If rangers could actually use bows. Let me restate and emphasize something, if rangers could actually use bows. Not just autoattack with bows. Not wish I had more interesting skills with bows. Not hit like a wet noodle with bows. Not “I enjoy another classes bow skills more than my own” bows.

Honestly, as like a /thread style argument, if bows were where they needed to be, nobody would ask for pistols/rifles to be added to the kitten nal. Well, nobody asking them to be added for the sake of balance (meaning only people who want them added solely for the theme and stylization of them would still be asking for them).

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

If rangers could actually use bows. Let me restate and emphasize something, if rangers could actually use bows. Not just autoattack with bows. Not wish I had more interesting skills with bows. Not hit like a wet noodle with bows. Not “I enjoy another classes bow skills more than my own” bows.

Honestly, as like a /thread style argument, if bows were where they needed to be, nobody would ask for pistols/rifles to be added to the kitten nal. Well, nobody asking them to be added for the sake of balance (meaning only people who want them added solely for the theme and stylization of them would still be asking for them).

I don’t think anyone IS asking for them on a balance perspective…

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

I don’t think anyone IS asking for them on a balance perspective…

Subconsciously it’s a possibility, the the bows being so off putting that it feels like we need even more ranged projectile weapons to compensate.

in Ranger

ITheNormalPerson.9275

I think it’s more-so that some people just like guns more than bows..

just like how I want a staff because I think most greatswords are ugly and most staves are pretty :P

in Ranger

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Because something about them being “Unparalleled archers” in their class description or something would imply they have no need for firearms.

But let’s all be honest here, if given a gun and a bullet, almost every ranger in the game would probably just prefer to shoot and kill their pet with it instead.