longbow shots really REALLY slow

in Ranger

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

so does anyone else find it odd that long bows #1 attack doesn’t shoot more then 1 arrow even tho this class is supposed to be the most agile with a bow?

or that the #1 shots are soooooooo slow making the only reason that anyone would ever equip this weapon the #5 ability? It’s sad that a weapon is so useless that it only has 1 use.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Ranger

Posted by: Arsenic Touch.7960

Arsenic Touch.7960

Both the shortbow and the longbow have projectile speed problems, but the longbow is extremely noticeable. You can run in a straight line and dodge the longbow, hell you could probably sneeze and it would miss. It requires some slight strafing back and forth to dodge the shortbow.

Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

Dragonbrand – Level 80 – Human Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: daolor.4071

daolor.4071

I dont find it that strange, since a real longbow, shoots slower then a non longbow, plus its slow, and hit hard, compared to the shortbow, that has a fast attack, but deals less dmg/shot:)

in Ranger

Posted by: Sang.3641

Sang.3641

I dont find it that strange, since a real longbow, shoots slower then a non longbow, plus its slow, and hit hard, compared to the shortbow, that has a fast attack, but deals less dmg/shot:)

Please don’t bring reality into a fantasy game, no one in reality can fire a short bow that fast and just to note a short bow has just as much penetrating power IRL as a longbow but a longbow has the range, it is all dependent on the type of bow and importantly the arrow used. They also have almost identical fire rates in the hands of a skilled user.

But none of this matters because it is a game and only takes the smallest amount of real life logic it needs for us to be able to relate.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kjeld.9730

Kjeld.9730

Please don’t bring reality into a fantasy game, no one in reality can fire a short bow that fast and just to note a short bow has just as much penetrating power IRL as a longbow but a longbow has the range, it is all dependent on the type of bow and importantly the arrow used. They also have almost identical fire rates in the hands of a skilled user.

But none of this matters because it is a game and only takes the smallest amount of real life logic it needs for us to be able to relate.

People CAN fire bows that fast! Archery has been misunderstood for years http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zGnxeSbb3g

Ranger of [MGK] – Aurora glade.

in Ranger

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

People CAN fire bows that fast! Archery has been misunderstood for years http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zGnxeSbb3g

Thank you and if we are going based on reality here, then the tiny bit of damage the #1 shot does on the longbow would definitely NOT account for the sheer speed of the arrow and thus the sheer damage that arrow would inflict that shooting so slowly would normally induce. It’s supposed to be a higher damage ratio it doesn’t come close imo.

Then again we are talking also about how two classes pistols shoot as slowly as rifles perhaps they need the help of some firearms and explosives experts to give them some perspective on just what should do what damage when. Because as an engineer, I find they have a long list of problems when it comes to how much damage is practical when it comes to weapons of war.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

(edited by tigirius.9014)

in Ranger

Posted by: Batlav.6318

Batlav.6318

the attack rate is fine but projectile speed is a bit slow

SFR

in Ranger

Posted by: Archenson.7680

Archenson.7680

That was a pretty amazing video.

in Ranger

Posted by: JonPeters.5630

JonPeters.5630

Game Design Lead

You guys must be channeling some psychic powers this weekend. We agree arrows need to be a bit faster to make DPS against moving targets a bit more reliable. 12/14 can’t come soon enough. :P

in Ranger

Posted by: neverborne.4736

neverborne.4736

You just blew my mind sir.

Give pets AOE damage mitigation and we’ll call it a hat-trick.

in Ranger

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Jon, I love you. MARRY ME.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Ranger

Posted by: Pvp.2758

Pvp.2758

This was one of the problems I never complained about because I didn’t think they would ever fix it… I can’t believe my eyes after reading John Peters post! Awesome news!

S(KILL) Gametypes > WvW & sPVP

in Ranger

Posted by: Predator.7321

Predator.7321

Omg Jon replied and confirmed 2 new things for rangers in one day. Praise the lord

in Ranger

Posted by: VeralFixen.3142

VeralFixen.3142

oh my dear lord, am i dreaming?

in Ranger

Posted by: caKez.3219

caKez.3219

You guys must be channeling some psychic powers this weekend. We agree arrows need to be a bit faster to make DPS against moving targets a bit more reliable. 12/14 can’t come soon enough. :P

Jon Peters you have been on a roll lately claps

in Ranger

Posted by: YumCHA.8706

YumCHA.8706

Jon Jon Jon… I would slap you, but you’ve redeemed yourself.

Thanks for the communication.

Rangetastic, 80 Ranger | Archers United [ARC]
Sea of Sorrows

in Ranger

Posted by: Aridia.3042

Aridia.3042

Wow, Christmas is arriving early this year.

in Ranger

Posted by: ChillyChinaman.6057

ChillyChinaman.6057

Not to rain on the party, I’m excited about Jon’s posts as well, but need I remind everyone about 11/15?

I’m still keeping my hopes up though.

in Ranger

Posted by: EvilDeath.6718

EvilDeath.6718

11/15….never forget!!!

in Ranger

Posted by: NaturalPortman.9562

NaturalPortman.9562

11/15….never forget!!!

REDEMPTION

(im a girl btw)

in Ranger

Posted by: Panther Chameleon.8465

Panther Chameleon.8465

Yay! Do we also agree foraging via porcine should function like elementalist conjured weapons? By automatically adding the consumables to the hotbar as well as spawning one on the ground that only teammates can use?

" I like to let people talk who like to talk. It makes it

in Ranger

Posted by: mamourrir.9641

mamourrir.9641

11/15….never forget!!!

I’m pretty sure Jon is smart enough not to do the same mistake twice in a row.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

Lets be fair here. Last time, he promised “substantial” changes but nothing specific.

This however. He’s promising us specific things. If he doesn’t deliver…

in Ranger

Posted by: BoothbyTCD.2407

BoothbyTCD.2407

I can wait for longbow to be more viable.

in Ranger

Posted by: SatyrBuddy.1586

SatyrBuddy.1586

Yeah I’m still pretty pissed about 11/15. We better be op or something to make up for it till next patch.

in Ranger

Posted by: BroScientist.9875

BroScientist.9875

John, I love you!!!

in Ranger

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

This is great news! Thank you Jon!

in Ranger

Posted by: Destin.2460

Destin.2460

best red posts ever this week!

in Ranger

Posted by: Xolo.3580

Xolo.3580

This patch keeps looking better and better. What’s next? Flying Asuras in airships?

in Ranger

Posted by: Criminal.5627

Criminal.5627

its just…. such a shame we only get to enjoy it for 7 days before the world ends…. such a shame

Giant spiders of the world are just misunderstood creatures, they love to snuggle too.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lumpy.8760

Lumpy.8760

cripple, immobilize, stun, getting closer.. i hope you’re not throwing away an interesting mechanic

in Ranger

Arsenic Touch.7960

Now is this only go to up the projectile speed on just the longbow or for both bows? because even the shortbow suffers from projectile speed issues.

And what about the actual attack speed on the longbow?
And the unintentional nerf of QZ + crossfire? or intentional, you have yet to address it since you nerfed crossfire.

(edited by Arsenic Touch.7960)

in Ranger

Posted by: ionite.6234

ionite.6234

I don’t think OP even meant projectile speed.

in Ranger

Posted by: Vanguardian.4921

Vanguardian.4921

Considering he said “you guys” addressing all the other people talking about projectile speed, yeah…

in Ranger

Posted by: Severan Rye.6215

Severan Rye.6215

lol yes finally the long awaited buff

nerf the damage output for skill {1} on longbow and give it the same attack speed as the current shortbow {1} (and increase the shortbow’s {1} attack speed).

in Ranger

Posted by: Nero.4706

Nero.4706

Not just LB but SB too really slow. imo SB norm speed sld be as fast as the current one + QZ, and the LB speed sld be as fast as the current SB speed. I dun care if they tone dwn the dmg. I just like to pew pew alil faster!

and also Jon mentioned ‘ARROWS’ which cld mean both LB and SB!? i think so, i hope so. pls dun let it be a troll patch this time….cant wait for 14th! XD

in Ranger

Posted by: Kellie.3687

Kellie.3687

not surprised tbh, the current long bow fires at 1.25 rather than 0.75 as the tool tip states, to get a real feel for how it should be you can try the Warriors long bow, it fires at the proper 0.75 speed and feels fine.

I imagine they will take the longbow attack rate down to 0.50, then it will fire at 1.0 unless they fix the animation delay. If they go so far to reduce it too 0.25 then it would fire at 0.75 again unless they fix the dodgy animation.

in Ranger

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

This patch keeps looking better and better. What’s next? Flying Asuras in airships?

I would definitely like to ability to pick up Asuras and throw them off of airships.

in Ranger

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

Don’t get too excited, we WERE let down before remember ?

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

in Ranger

Posted by: Xenn.1420

Xenn.1420

Since you guys is fixing them why not proceed in fixing you know that underpower class like i dont know maybe “mesmer?”

in Ranger

Posted by: Nurse.1085

Nurse.1085

12/14 ….please include these 2 changes at the very least. I’ll be such a happier camper.

in Ranger

Posted by: Syko.3726

Syko.3726

Since you guys is fixing them why not proceed in fixing you know that underpower class like i dont know maybe “mesmer?”

Underpowered class ? I clearly lol’d

Mesmer is one of the class with the highest skill cap, just gotta know how to play it.

in Ranger

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Mesmer has a few problems with general PvE, but that’s possibly the only time where that class is not overpowered. :P

in Ranger

Posted by: Qixilver.3784

Qixilver.3784

So maybe now I can try the longbow again. I haven’t used one of those since…

in Ranger

Posted by: racta.4250

racta.4250

This change is going to be huge. Depending on how it works, itt will up longbow dps by about 50% on some fights. I can’t wait!

Racta
[Bush] – Dragonbrand

in Ranger

Posted by: Sleepy.2647

Sleepy.2647

By what Jon wrote, i believe he meant arrows projectile speed and not autoattack fire rate speed… i think many people missunderstood it…or i did :P

in Ranger

Arsenic Touch.7960

Is this meant to be a joke? Posting in the ranger forum about another class being underpowered? :headscratch:

They’ve already addressed the issues people are having with mesmers, issues that are actually quite minor when compared to the ranger. What more do you want?

in Ranger

Posted by: Kam.8109

Kam.8109

It’s either that we all have psychic powers or we’ve been asking for this kitten for months….

in Ranger

Posted by: Sarlack.4096

Sarlack.4096

This had better not be another round of “Raise the expectations of the community only to crush them come patch day” …..

I hope they follow through, truth be told there are more issues other than Signet of the Hunt and Longbow speed that require addressing but after the nature of the last patches I will take ANYTHING positive directed at the class.

in Ranger

Posted by: Qixilver.3784

Qixilver.3784

This had better not be another round of “Raise the expectations of the community only to crush them come patch day” …..

I hope they follow through, truth be told there are more issues other than Signet of the Hunt and Longbow speed that require addressing but after the nature of the last patches I will take ANYTHING positive directed at the class.

I agree. If those are the only 2 improvements it will still be better than the last 2 patches combined. I think the ranger community is in “believe it when we see it” mode due to what we saw with the last patch.