Herald's horrifying ground effect

in Revenant

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

I have a feeling this will turn into an ordeal like the Engineers had with those hobosacks.

The fact its there doesn’t bother me, what does bother me, is that Glint’s…disk of eye-bleeding…is neon blue, glows and flashes, is HUGE and bugs out unless you are on perfectly flat ground.

I don’t mind profession graphics unless they detract from my character, which they do. I refuse to use Glint, because every time I toggle that metaphysical Ouija board on, my eye is instantly drawn to that disk, because it its the most saturate, shiny thing on the screen.

As an infographic, its not even that useful. The icons look nothing like the skills when they’re toggled on, and its impossible to see what ones are highlighted when you’re flashing and shadowstepping everywhere all the time.

Give my Revenant her aesthetic integrity back. I would actually pay real life money to have an option to remove this thing from my screen.

Yeah thats one thing I dont get either, whats up with the new icons that u can hardly differentiate, has no resemblance nor tactial use. It’s a light show that draws unneeded attention and the rev is in the middle.

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

in Revenant

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

i like it, maybe just tone down the opacity ;-)

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

in Revenant

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

The hymn constantly chugging along, together with other epic music, is really annoying. It’s fine if it would do the hymn like once when you enable your first aspect. Constantly, just annoying.

And yes, I find the circle to be ugly. It also stretches and looks disgusting up on ledges and such. I don’t even quite see the purpose for it. Do we need to visually see what skills are invoked on the Herald? Do we need that on the Guardian virtues? I am not against the effect per say, but it could sure use a redesign, because the current iteration does not live up to the otherwise great art assets in this game.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

in Revenant

Posted by: Argon.1563

Argon.1563

I don’t think I would be so salty about it if the facets were represented as 3D assets rather than a 2D texture.

I saw somebody suggest the idea of the facets being represented as crystals that float around the player while it’s active.

I’d be on board as well with the idea of having the facets be little crystal dragons that follow round the Revenant on foot or fly behind them, and explode/shatter when the facet they represent is toggled off.

in Revenant

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

Tbh i doubt we will get new effects. Howered i wish for different effects based on facets up like facet of chaos turning your body into crystal. After all Glint was crystal dragon and yet our skills has nothing to do with crystals.

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

in Revenant

Posted by: SaulWolfden.6178

SaulWolfden.6178

To be fair, they could potentially alter the Shiro heal crystal effect (as in use that for the new herald Glint effect, Shiro heal of course remaining as it is) to have one crystal per facet being upkept and have it be a different color depending on which facet it is. Blue for regen, orange for might, yellow for swiftness, red for fury, green for nature, purple for protection.

“Fear is only what you feel”

in Revenant

Posted by: NoxInfernus.2361

NoxInfernus.2361

Not keen on the ground effect.

What I would have liked to have see is small semi-transparent mist-dragons flying around you (kind of like the black bat aura from Night fury).
The ‘dragons’ could change colour depending on the facet

in Revenant

Posted by: Fishrock.5207

Fishrock.5207

I really like the Glint ground effect. Seems fitting, and also is a great visual indicator, both for myself and others.

Maybe it could go slightly more transparent out of combat, at most.

GW2 Wiki: Fishrock

in Revenant

Posted by: Hooglese.4860

Hooglese.4860

I don’t mind it. Being able to toggle it would be cool but I’m pretty okay with all of it. It’s really helpful to see what some one is using without scrolling through everything in their buffbar, especially in pvp

PvP
revenant – Hoogles Von Boogles
Mesmer – hoogelz

in Revenant

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

I don’t mind it. Being able to toggle it would be cool but I’m pretty okay with all of it. It’s really helpful to see what some one is using without scrolling through everything in their buffbar, especially in pvp

Is it, though? I’m all for giving abilities obvious tells, but what useful information could you possible gain from the ground effect that you would really need? The Facets just give pulsing boons, and almost every profession already tosses out a truckload of boons at all times. Yes, it might be nice to not have to look at someone’s buff far to tell that they probably have Protection, but they could have Protection from any of a number of other sources as well so you’ll have to check their buff bar anyway.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

in Revenant

Posted by: Sittaraha.9361

Sittaraha.9361

I find the effect to be so distracting. I think they didn’t follow the whole game’s aesthetics with the mobile bath mat.

in Revenant

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

I would have preferred something less intrusive like small crystals hovering near you for whatever facets are active with each having a different color based on the facet.

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

in Revenant

Posted by: Xecil.2798

Xecil.2798

I would have preferred something less intrusive like small crystals hovering near you for whatever facets are active with each having a different color based on the facet.

Great idea

in Revenant

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

It needs some serious transparency added

This. It’s way too prominent. I’d like to be able to turn it off or tone it right down.

downed state is bad for PVP

in Revenant

Posted by: SnowHawk.3615

SnowHawk.3615

Glint’s the best! She’s the best ever and shouldn’t be changed.
In all seriousness though, maybe since she is a ‘crystal’ dragon have silvery crystals that hover around us or near, unlike the jade ones while equipped with Shiro. Or maybe just sparkle like Vaporeon from Pokemon Stadium for N64.

in Revenant

Posted by: Prothescar.7842

Prothescar.7842

Icons below the nameplate of a Herald that shows which facets are active (like the icons that you see on a Rogue in RIFT) would be much less intrusive and would provide the same information to whoever actually finds the ground hologram useful (still don’t know what practical function it has).

That way the Herald themselves wouldn’t have to stare at a giant glowing dragon circle the entire time they play, nor would anyone around them have to be distracted by it, and the people who want to see which Facets the Herald has active (and aren’t in their party or want to read their buffs/debuffs bar) can target them, look at their nameplate, and be done with it.

The hymn that plays constantly is even more annoying. There shouldn’t be a completely untoggleable ambient noise that totally drowns out all of the other music and sounds in the game. It seriously breaks my immersion and enjoyment of the environment when I can’t hear the music of the game because Glint’s Facets can’t stop droning. Toggle option for it pls.

in Revenant

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

The hymn that plays constantly is even more annoying. There shouldn’t be a completely untoggleable ambient noise that totally drowns out all of the other music and sounds in the game. It seriously breaks my immersion and enjoyment of the environment when I can’t hear the music of the game because Glint’s Facets can’t stop droning. Toggle option for it pls.

Yes please. Facet drone noise might have been a good idea on the drawing board but it’s kitten annoying after you’ve been playing herald a while.

downed state is bad for PVP

in Revenant

Posted by: Nerthus.3592

Nerthus.3592

Ground effect was the first thing that caught my attention when I first saw a revenant, too big, too bright…circle in the middle is simply pointless and HUGE. Remove it or at least make it less visible.

in Revenant

nacario.9417

There is simply no way u can tell what boons they have based on these strange icons, unless u have eagle eyes and can see every little tidbit of detail during up to 5v5. In reality they provide nothing but excessive fluff

Power Ranger PvP

in Revenant

Posted by: kiki.6250

kiki.6250

Not sure if ppl who likes it actually plays with it longer time. On rough terrain, especially in jungle its terrible. Toning down/transparent would be nice compromise. And yea usefulnes of this is zero, gives you no information.

in Revenant

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

Am I only one who doesn’t like that huge ugly ground icon? Why there is no toggle to set it invisible for yourself/everyone?

yeah, its really really ugly.

Why they did not do a nice effect like orbiting runes or something, rather than this lame piece of kitten I dont know. Seams rushed and tacked on at the end due to lack of time and effort……oh wait, thats the whole profession!

in Revenant

Posted by: Iohanna.4863

Iohanna.4863

+1 to people who disapprove of Facet visuals and the humming sound (on the other hand, the Facet activation sound is very well done). I would like something more subtle.

in Revenant

Posted by: Jodas.7904

Jodas.7904

I like it! Don’t change/remove it plz.

in Revenant

Posted by: PrinceKhaled.5104

PrinceKhaled.5104

That ground effect is the reason I play revenant. Please keep it!!!!!!

in Revenant

SaulWolfden.6178

To people who want it to remain as it is, why? It is a poorly done effect that affects combat visibility in a negative way and doesn’t really make it clear what it is a Herald has up since most people can’t make out the icons around the circle.

in Revenant

Posted by: Hawks.5736

Hawks.5736

I don’t mind it, I just don’t understand why it even exists? It serves no purpose to the Revenant, nobody is trying to look at the ground to see what facets they have up. So the only thing is as a tell in PvP… but no other class has to deal with that.

Dexson

in Revenant

Posted by: NumenorLord.6539

NumenorLord.6539

It’s fine but can be better… What if we could change the color?

in Revenant

Posted by: PrinceKhaled.5104

PrinceKhaled.5104

To people who want it to remain as it is, why? It is a poorly done effect that affects combat visibility in a negative way and doesn’t really make it clear what it is a Herald has up since most people can’t make out the icons around the circle.

1) Why legendary weapons have effects?
2) Why some skills has visual effects? like empowering on guardian or something?!
3) Why there are shinny nice looking dyes? (like celestial during the day)

I am, strongly, against taking this visual effect away!

in Revenant

SaulWolfden.6178

1) Why legendary weapons have effects?
2) Why some skills has visual effects? like empowering on guardian or something?!
3) Why there are shinny nice looking dyes? (like celestial during the day)

I am, strongly, against taking this visual effect away!

1. Because that’s the entire point and the effects are much more well done
2. Because they are generally done in a way to tell you what it is and looking at bare minimum acceptable, all of the other effects look superior
3. None of which are obtrusive and the effect dyes look much better

It looks horrible in its current form (worse than anything else in the game) and doesn’t really do anything but be an eyesore (to be fair, it’s nowhere near as bad as the Dark Souls lava effect, but still).

in Revenant

Posted by: FunnyCide.5426

FunnyCide.5426

Finally fully unlocked herald and thus gave it a go…for all of about a minute. That ground effect it horrible. It’s too bright, too big, and it pulses. The pulsing does to me what I was afraid of, starts to trigger a migraine. Herald is a no go for me because of this.

in Revenant

Posted by: Tristavel.9218

Tristavel.9218

That ground effect it horrible. It’s too bright, too big, and it pulses.

Completely agree. While it’s not causing any serious problems for me, I still think it’s way too intrusive – and it doesn’t even look good tbh; while design in itself is a matter of personal taste, I doubt anyone could like the way it distorts on rough surfraces or stretches like a rubber rug on cliffs.

That aside, I don’t really see the point – as far as I can tell, no other elite spec has such over-the-top visuals. Combine it with, say, legendary aura and you have a visual nightmare stuck in the middle of your screen.

Please, either give us a way to turn it off, or tone it down A LOT.

in Revenant

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

I’d enjoy it more if the effects on the ground were actually hovering versions of ghostly Glint scales in a single color scheme (bonus points for taking the primary color from dye channel).

(Facet of Light adding an aura in the chest, Facet of Darkness adding an aura in the legs, Facet of Elements adding an aura in the feet, Facet of Strength adding an aura to the arms, Facet of Nature adding an aura on the head, Facet of Chaos adding an aura to the back (ghostly wings or tail)).

The whole 2d ground target reticle is oddly out of place for GW2 art assets.

(edited by Artaz.3819)

in Revenant

nacario.9417

Ill be picking up rev if other legends r toned up as the ground effects takes to much focus and serve no use other than frustration. It feels half made, banded together in a rush, like unfinished water combat

Power Ranger PvP

in Revenant

Posted by: OMNIBUS.2913

OMNIBUS.2913

This is a matter of opinion vs opinion. I don’t agree it’s intrusive to combat, it hasn’t bothered me at all and I like the color/glow the glyph has.

in Revenant

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

I’m also in the camp that doesn’t necessarily find value in the ground effect. My first preference would be to have an option to disable it. That would give both people that like it and people that don’t like it what they want. My second preference if that wasn’t doable would be to make the ground effect only active when in combat.

Also the facet music can be turned off by turning the player instrument volume setting all the way down. More discussion about there here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/revenant/Option-to-disable-facet-organ-music/

in Revenant

Aveneo.2068

Here’s a picture showing an alternative approach that I would have liked a lot better instead of that 2d ground decal. Small crystals hovering near you for the active facets, just like one of the quests in Auric basin.

Then the color can be different depending on the facet.

Attachments:

in Revenant

Burtnik.5218

Here’s a picture showing an alternative approach that I would have liked a lot better instead of that 2d ground decal. Small crystals hovering near you for the active facets, just like one of the quests in Auric basin.

Far better than the kitten we have+the model is already ingame. What we waiting for?! Yeah.. somehow i doubt it will go away anyone soon along with that sound..sometimes i really want to scream by that sound with no way to turn it off.

in Revenant

Posted by: Akumetsu.8591

Akumetsu.8591

id just like to say the floating crystal idea is amazing and would require little work to implement using textures that are already in game with some color changes. The ground art doesn’t bother me too much but it looks very weird now that people have been mentioning it. Like it honestly makes very little since why we have projectors built into our armor to shine on the ground also if the effect is triggering peoples migraines at least add a way to turn it off for those people. Again i do not dislike the ground art hugely i just think some one actually offered up a brilliant solution to something a lot of players do not enjoy.

One hope, One dream, One Dagger Thief
K U R A Enguard [ENG], Pretty Princess Squad [MEN]

in Revenant

Aveneo.2068

Far better than the kitten we have+the model is already ingame. What we waiting for?! Yeah.. somehow i doubt it will go away anyone soon along with that sound..sometimes i really want to scream by that sound with no way to turn it off.

The only way to deactivate the ‘chiming’ would be to go into your sound options and reduce/deactivate the Player Instruments. That should mute the organ sounds; although you’d also lose the ability to hear people on their vuvuzelas (which isn’t a bad thing most of the time). :P

in Revenant

Aveneo.2068

id just like to say the floating crystal idea is amazing and would require little work to implement using textures that are already in game with some color changes. The ground art doesn’t bother me too much but it looks very weird now that people have been mentioning it. Like it honestly makes very little since why we have projectors built into our armor to shine on the ground also if the effect is triggering peoples migraines at least add a way to turn it off for those people. Again i do not dislike the ground art hugely i just think some one actually offered up a brilliant solution to something a lot of players do not enjoy.

Well, ANet could even offer us both options if they are willing to add something to our Hero panel or Options, as a ‘Hide/Unhide’ (or in this case a Decal/Crystal) option might be a good way to satisfy both the decal-lovers and the decal-haters. And because the floating crystals effect is already used ingame, it should not take a lot of time to implement at all with some minor retextures for the different colors.

I personally would love to have different color crystals floating near me instead of that wierd hologram. And it would make sense too as Glint is all about crystals.

Attachments:

in Revenant

nacario.9417

Thank you for those, they look very pretty and more thematically fitting!

Power Ranger PvP

in Revenant

Burtnik.5218

The only way to deactivate the ‘chiming’ would be to go into your sound options and reduce/deactivate the Player Instruments. That should mute the organ sounds; although you’d also lose the ability to hear people on their vuvuzelas (which isn’t a bad thing most of the time). :P

People keep dont understand what im talking about. I know i can turn off organ music. But what about this !@#$%^&?? It goes over and over, the whole tme i have any facet on..over and over, over and over…https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjPnMA6sLTo

in Revenant

SaulWolfden.6178

This is pretty much exactly what I was suggesting, really hope they go with this.

in Revenant

nacario.9417

That picture was so good and visualizing of what many have tried to explain that drastic measures must be done. I’ve never used this one during the betas but here goes nothing!

Strokes golden magical mantle lamp gently
ROY, please heed our call and be summoned once again!

Power Ranger PvP

in Revenant

Posted by: Nath Forge Tempete.1645

Nath Forge Tempete.1645

why not some colored flames flooting around us ? =D simple and colorfull =3

in Revenant

SaulWolfden.6178

That picture was so good and visualizing of what many have tried to explain that drastic measures must be done. I’ve never used this one during the betas but here goes nothing!

Strokes golden magical mantle lamp gently
ROY, please heed our call and be summoned once again!

This, I’d really like to see an official response to the criticism of the effect.

in Revenant

Posted by: Hooglese.4860

Hooglese.4860

Is it, though? I’m all for giving abilities obvious tells, but what useful information could you possible gain from the ground effect that you would really need? The Facets just give pulsing boons, and almost every profession already tosses out a truckload of boons at all times. Yes, it might be nice to not have to look at someone’s buff far to tell that they probably have Protection, but they could have Protection from any of a number of other sources as well so you’ll have to check their buff bar anyway.

Sorta. If I see all of their facets popped, especially chaos, I try to lay on the cc so I can energy deny them. If I can force them to swap legends that’s even better

PvP
revenant – Hoogles Von Boogles
Mesmer – hoogelz

in Revenant

Posted by: Coco.5670

Coco.5670

I love it. Although, the light sound the facets make can get quite annoying.

in Revenant

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Or maybe those icons could be switched to small colored circles around you. Every buff skill would have different color, for example regeneration buff as green, fury buff red, swiftness buff yellow, might buff orange/black or something and protection buff blue. That way it would be a lot easier for everyone else not familiar with revenant buff icons to really tell what is going on.

That’s be terrible.

Not everyone sees colors clearly. The current version has a unique location and a unique icon for each buff, making it trivial to understand which buff is active independent of color vision capabilities.

Your idea would more or less make it impossible.

Same problem. Please don’t use color as a distinguishing factor unless you give an option to select colorblind mode and the type of colorblindness (and varying the colors accordingly).

Plus this would then need consistency. Currently all boons use the same color for the icon and mostly for their graphics (there’s yellow-white and blue components to the effects.

If each boon had a unique color anyhow, then fair enough.

But this way it’s just being made difficult for someone who is color blind, without any real reason. Unique position works well. If anything, the center circle should be see through or gone.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

(edited by Carighan.6758)

in Revenant

Posted by: Valiare.9231

Valiare.9231

The Herald’s ground effect gives me actual issues. Its strobe effect gives me a literal headache, which goes away as soon as I turn it off (as long as I haven’t left it on for too long). The problem is, the center is too shiny, and there’s too much strobe. I can’t not look at it, and thus I get a headache. Can we just have a check box to turn off the center circle? The symbols around the character don’t bother me the same way; it’s just the circle.