Kalla Scorchrazor? Really?

in Revenant

Posted by: Brian.6435

Brian.6435

In reference to the legend chosen for the Renegade…it just makes no sense. What does Kala Scorchrazor have to do with Elona and why would she even be considered to be among the ranks of Jalis Iron hammer, Glint, Shiro Tagachi etc?

It would have made so much more sense to use someone like Varesh Ossa or Turai Ossa as the rev’s new legend.

Anyone else agree?

in Revenant

Posted by: Euthymias.7984

Euthymias.7984

No.
Also, the other Especs (Firebrand, Scourge) are supposedly themed over the idea of rebellion (against Joko/the current rule) and the likes of Kalla do fit in with that “renegade” theme. She did her part in the rebellion against the Flame Legion caste (the Charr rulers of the time), so it does make sense thematically that among others of a similar inclination, that she is included.

However, I would have preferred it to be Pyre seeing that he helped spark this rebellion and the “Charr need no gods” philosophy in the first place (and we ARE going after a God, which would be a perfect way to “exercise” that motto), while his Grandcub was a part of the crescendo of what he set in motion. Even his memorial says that the Charr owe everything they are to his actions…why his Granddaughter was chosen over him, I cant quite grasp.

Turai was known for defeating Joko, yes, but imo he was far better known for his hunt for (and failing) ascension during his pilgrimage, but staying behind to help others reach ascension as a ghost All while his line eventually fell into servitude with Joko after his passing and Joko's subsequent second takeover or doing other kitten able things like Varesh and Nightfall.

(edited by Euthymias.7984)

in Revenant

Posted by: Dipdoo.4861

Dipdoo.4861

I agree on Pyre Fierceshot being the better choice. Especially with the shortbow being the new weapon and his rebellion against the ‘gods’ rather than the rebellion against the social structure that Kalla spearheaded.

Big Cat Dipdoo ~ Warrior, Caeda Ripstep ~ Revenant, Braum Has Arrived ~ Guardian [SQD]
“It’s time to Rim Ram their Jim Jams.”

in Revenant

Posted by: narcx.3570

narcx.3570

Storywise, I could see Rytlock going into the mists and getting inspired by her Charr Feminism Superpowers to help him in his own fight against the Black Citadel’s Leadership.

in Revenant

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

I posted before how I wanted it to be all the statues in black citadel merged into one legend. Would have been legend worthy. Screw it not having to do with elona too. lol

in Revenant

Brian.6435

No.
Also, the other Especs (Firebrand, Scourge) are supposedly themed over the idea of rebellion (against Joko/the current rule) and the likes of Kalla do fit in with that “renegade” theme. She did her part in the rebellion against the Flame Legion caste (the Charr rulers of the time), so it does make sense thematically that among others of a similar inclination, that she is included.

However, I would have preferred it to be Pyre seeing that he helped spark this rebellion and the “Charr need no gods” philosophy in the first place (and we ARE going after a God, which would be a perfect way to “exercise” that motto), while his Grandcub was a part of the crescendo of what he set in motion. Even his memorial says that the Charr owe everything they are to his actions…why his Granddaughter was chosen over him, I cant quite grasp.

Turai was known for defeating Joko, yes, but imo he was far better known for his hunt for (and failing) ascension during his pilgrimage, but staying behind to help others reach ascension as a ghost All while his line eventually fell into servitude with Joko after his passing and Joko's subsequent second takeover or doing other kitten able things like Varesh and Nightfall.

That’s all fine and dandy for Charr heroes. But what really makes them special? At the end of the day…they were still just Charr. The thing all the other Legendary aspects have in common is they’re beyond just regular people. Jalis became the great stone dwarf. Shiro was a general of abaddon and responsible for the jade wind cataclysm. Glint was a Dragon. Malyx a margonite Lord. Ventari….basically responsible for cultivating the Sylvari.

Kalla Scorchrazor…grandcub of Pyre…responsible for a charr rebellion … oh ok. I don’t know man, maybe for a regular stance for revenant, but for an ELITE spec? C’mon.

in Revenant

Dipdoo.4861

That’s all fine and dandy for Charr heroes. But what really makes them special? At the end of the day…they were still just Charr. The thing all the other Legendary aspects have in common is they’re beyond just regular people. Jalis became the great stone dwarf. Shiro was a general of abaddon and responsible for the jade wind cataclysm. Glint was a Dragon. Malyx a margonite Lord. Ventari….basically responsible for cultivating the Sylvari.

Kalla Scorchrazor…grandcub of Pyre…responsible for a charr rebellion … oh ok. I don’t know man, maybe for a regular stance for revenant, but for an ELITE spec? C’mon.

Well, she doubled the Charr’s capability and united the legions over one of their biggest problems, infighting. While it isn’t on the same level as some of the other legends it certainly isn’t anything to sneeze at.

Big Cat Dipdoo ~ Warrior, Caeda Ripstep ~ Revenant, Braum Has Arrived ~ Guardian [SQD]

in Revenant

Euthymias.7984

>They were just Charr
Ventari was just “a peaceful centaur who had a human companion that found a blighting tree seed” and he still became a legend because of his imprinting of virtues on the Sylvari race being so profound.

Likewise, Pyre and Kalla’s rebellion, though they were both just soldiers, both had MASSIVE cultural shifts for their own specific race in a profound way. Just as Ventari (and his friend to a much lesser extent) is revered among the Sylvari, those two are hailed among the Charr for their contribution to what they have become.

You dont have to be an otherworldly kitten or Prophetess to leave a great echo in the Mists, though it surely help their case of being “heard”.

in Revenant

Posted by: Thornwolf.9721

Thornwolf.9721

Pyre would make more sense with a bow, considering and I mean I just went to her statue today and read it. She was portrayed as holding a greatsword, and as a melee combatant as she died by a poison dagger. She got up-close and personal and even in the snuff it states she prefered fighting with blades not with a bow.

So the Short bow would definantly fit pyre as his weapon of choice when you get him as a hero, is a short bow. So until you give him something else thats what he had been using, so I feel like there is a huge disconnect here. And that the Dev’s dont know their own lore sometimes, and/or they dont care and chose the SJW route and gave us an obscure lesser character as a legend rather than a legit “We know he/she was this”

Varesh would of been a better female legend.
Pyre should of been our charr legend
Hell the fact we got glint in the expansion before and not now boggles my brain, as she is more integral in this context.

in Revenant

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Or even Saidra,

Saidra: We’re caught.
Saidra: Take Evennia to the east. The Deldrimor Dwarves use the frozen lakes and rivers there for transport.
Saidra: If you’re lucky you’ll find one of their ice ships.
Saidra: I’ll hold off the Mursaat as long as I can.
Saidra: Take my bow. I won’t be needing it where I’m going.
Saidra: To the end of us all!

Evennia: Quickly. Don’t let Saidra’s sacrifice be wasted.
Evennia: I can’t believe Saidra is gone.
Evennia: If the old gods still exist, then hear me now.
Evennia: Saidra should not have died. It wasn’t her time.
Evennia: But she gave her life so that the rest of us could live on.
Evennia: Now I put you on warning, you gods who abandoned Tyria so long.
Evennia: When my time comes, and I arrive in the Mists, I’d best not find that she’s been mistreated.
Evennia: Or as Balthazar as my witness, I will make all of you pay.
Evennia: To the end of us all.
Evennia: Now we settle our account with the Mursaat. For every drop of our blood they have spilled, we will take two from them.

in Revenant

Posted by: Vennyhedgie.5369

Vennyhedgie.5369

Pyre would make more sense with a bow, considering and I mean I just went to her statue today and read it. She was portrayed as holding a greatsword, and as a melee combatant as she died by a poison dagger. She got up-close and personal and even in the snuff it states she prefered fighting with blades not with a bow.

So the Short bow would definantly fit pyre as his weapon of choice when you get him as a hero, is a short bow. So until you give him something else thats what he had been using, so I feel like there is a huge disconnect here. And that the Dev’s dont know their own lore sometimes, and/or they dont care and chose the SJW route and gave us an obscure lesser character as a legend rather than a legit “We know he/she was this”

Varesh would of been a better female legend.
Pyre should of been our charr legend
Hell the fact we got glint in the expansion before and not now boggles my brain, as she is more integral in this context.

Glint didn’t use any weapons, but we got a shield. I don’t think we’re tied to the legend’s weapon of choice necessarily for the unlocked weapon.

in Revenant

Euthymias.7984

Glint didn’t use any weapons, but we got a shield. I don’t think we’re tied to the legend’s weapon of choice necessarily for the unlocked weapon.

Well, Glint was said to have protected others during a Dragon-rise till they slept once more, so I guess its not too out of the way.

in Revenant

Vennyhedgie.5369

Well, Glint was said to have protected others during a Dragon-rise till they slept once more, so I guess its not too out of the way.

And Shiro techincally used daggers yet we got Swords

in Revenant

Euthymias.7984

And Shiro techincally used daggers yet we got Swords

True, though both a sword and dagger variant of his blades exist, and I guess his weapon was also referred to as such, once
Daggers would have been nice to have, though. I wonder why one was chosen over the other.

(edited by Euthymias.7984)

in Revenant

Posted by: Thornwolf.9721

Thornwolf.9721

Pyre > Kalla just based upon the fact we know nothing of kalla and she does not strike me as “Legendary” renowned yes, but not legendary. Pyre literally started the revolution and then took the fight to the dragon minions, he also if you took him to the other campaigns went through factions and nightfall with you.

He would definitely be a stronger addition, as the charr society kind of looks to pyre and we even here them state in battle “Remember Pyre”. Way stronger choice than his grandcub who honestly feels lacking on the “Legendary” part of our legends.

in Revenant

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

Kalla with shortbow makes no sense. It should have been Pyre. Its ok tho, devs dont care about their own lore.

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

in Revenant

Vennyhedgie.5369

Okay so after watching all the EotN cutscenes (I didn’t play GW1 myself) I gotta agree that yes, Pyre would’ve definitely be a better candidate.
Guess that’s a question I’ll be asking on the next AMA. Why was she chosen over Pyre.

…actually when you think about it, we know Kalla was backstabbed, but we don’t know how Pyre died. Maybe he isn’t dead at all yet and that’s the reason why.

in Revenant

Posted by: Hitomi Shadowleaf.5629

Hitomi Shadowleaf.5629

Welp there are a few reasons.
1) Pyre disapproved of the Flame legion but became a rebel. Kalla restored female charr as equal to males, united the other legions against the flame legion and ultimately removed the caste system.

2) Pyre uses a LONGBOW not a hornbow or shortbow and like greatswords they tend to be direct damage. Kalla uses a shortbow for the legend which is typically condi (no idea way cuz in the black citadel her statue has a greatsword but hey she was a ranger so it was probably a weaponswap)

3) I honestly think Anet are trying to make the heavies different, ATM they are basically direct damage. Guardian is a bit more defensive while Warrior is offensive while Revanant feels like at least you tried. I just think they WANT revs to go condi to feel different and most likely they realize that the class is SUPER boring when you are using direct damage EG. glint/shiro > in glint turn on buffs and press sword 1 till no energy, switch to shiro turn on attack speed press sword 1. oh a break bar staff 5. it really doesnt have much to do and just feels bland. Hopefully tuesday makes changes but I doubt it

in Revenant

Posted by: NotASmurf.1725

NotASmurf.1725

If we’re going to Elona then Margrid would’ve made more sense.

in Revenant

Euthymias.7984

-Stuff-

1. Both created a revolution that changed the status quo of Charr society. Hers was built atop what he began.

2.-"Pyre Fierceshot’s default weapon is a max customized blue Stoneshard Hornbow "
-It was never implicitly mentioned what Kalla’s profession was.
-They could just as easily slap a Shortbow on if he were chosen all the same, as Rangers could use them way back when.

3. There’s nothing wrong with them giving us a condition weapon that’s ranged (its something that was asked for many times) but that doesn’t have much to do with Shiro/Glint’s issues or that of our core weapon functions beyond how they interact with the new ESpec or any revamps to come tomorrow.

in Revenant

Posted by: Caeledh.5437

Caeledh.5437

Margrid is a ranger.

Revenants already have a nature themed legend in Ventari.

A second nature themed legend, after a whole season focused on Sylvari would have had made some people’s heads explode.

I’d have liked it though. But I also don’t mind Kalla (thematically).

in Revenant

Posted by: NotASmurf.1725

NotASmurf.1725

Margrid is a ranger.

Revenants already have a nature themed legend in Ventari.

A second nature themed legend, after a whole season focused on Sylvari would have had made some people’s heads explode.

I’d have liked it though. But I also don’t mind Kalla (thematically).

There is nothing nature themed about Margrid. She is a corsair who spent more time on the sea than on land.

Even her base skills would’ve been perfect for utilities:

Apply Poison: an upkeep that applies 1 stack of poison on every successful hit.
Distracting Shot: a short daze that sends skills on longer recharge if it hits something.
Corsair net: (not her skill, but of her people) apply slow/immobilize

And so on.

(edited by NotASmurf.1725)

in Revenant

Vennyhedgie.5369

So basically 2 of your 3 skills are exactly what kalla does except instead of poison it’s bleeding and it’s aoe so your allies can also do it

in Revenant

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

why would she even be considered to be among the ranks of Jalis Iron hammer, Glint, Shiro Tagachi etc?

let’s see:

she dealt the final blow against the flame legion

she united the Iron, Ash, and Blood legions

she laid the foundation for charr to integrate with the other tyrian races by getting rid of the flame legion

she liberated all female charr, who until then were seen as “get me a sandwich and squeeze out babies”

and is pretty much the founder of modern charr culture.

but no, of course she’s not as worthy as King Doomed-his-race, Shiro “mass murdering emo” Tagachi, or Realm Of Torment Sidequest Boss #5

(that said, add another +1 to Pyre, she was after all just finishing what he started, plus, he actually used a bow, Kalla was a GS wielder iirc)

It would have made so much more sense to use someone like Varesh Ossa or Turai Ossa as the rev’s new legend.

ah yes, Varesh “Hail Satan” Ossa and Turai “whoops I made all my followers die in a desert” Ossa

truly great heroes we want to learn from.

(edited by Calcifire.1864)

in Revenant

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

I was initially skeptical to Kalla Scorchrazor too. But since we now know Elite Specs will have lore associated with them, she might have a more formal introduction into the story. I say wait and see. Give it a chance.

in Revenant

Dipdoo.4861

I was initially skeptical to Kalla Scorchrazor too. But since we now know Elite Specs will have lore associated with them, she might have a more formal introduction into the story. I say wait and see. Give it a chance.

Agreed. While Pyre might fit better we already know a good bit about him. I hope to learn more about Kalla with the expansion.

in Revenant

Posted by: Serenity.6135

Serenity.6135

Pyre makes more sense. He is a character that many players are familiar with, he was a rebellious charr, and actually used a bow. The choice of Kalla…I don’t know it kind of screams political correctness using a female instead of another male legend. Which seems to be the trend with anet.

in Revenant

Posted by: Pache.9406

Pache.9406

ANET desperately wanted to make another female legend, even if she’s a nobody compared to Pyre Fierceshot. It all comes down to forcing yet another irrelevant and very unnecessary strong female figure. Even though we already had some great ones in place, that would’ve been a much better fit (Eir, Varesh, Jora, Livia, Devona, Cynn, Eve, Nika, etc…)

in Revenant

Posted by: LimeSamurai.9140

LimeSamurai.9140

Pyre makes more sense. He is a character that many players are familiar with, he was a rebellious charr, and actually used a bow. The choice of Kalla…I don’t know it kind of screams political correctness using a female instead of another male legend. Which seems to be the trend with anet.

Not everything is political correctness just because they choose to do something. I’m going to assume you think Aurene is political correctness because shes a female dragon instead of male?

Maybe, and just follow me here for a sec guys, it will be explained in the expansion as to why she was chosen?

Tudes

in Revenant

Posted by: Gomes.5643

Gomes.5643

I think I like that they have chosen Kalla over Pyre. Simply for the fact that she is a character that was active outside of the timeframe where GW1 played in.

If you look at other legends (Jalis, Shiro, Mallyx, Glint, Ventari) you see that they all were active when we had our adventures in GW1. It feels like there didnt happen anything interesting outside the 5-10 years where GW1 played in. With the introduction of Kalla we finally now leave that timeperiod and new lore in the GW Universe. Because the timeline of GW is not only restricted to what happened in the first entry of the series.

This also brings my hopes up, that some day we will be able to summon truly historical figures (I historical even from a GW1 point of view) like King Doric or Saul D`Alessio. Uhh what would I give to summon Saul D`Alessio with my rev. With a Mursaat Companion as Ult ofc. Then that model was not wasted on a few story instances ^^.

(And spoiler would be kind of mad of us to bring back the mursaat into this realm…… but who cares )

in Revenant

Vennyhedgie.5369

I don’t wanna crush your hopes but I don’t think we’ll get Saul since he is technically alive at some point ingame. That said, they never explicitly said the legendary figures had to be dead in order for revenants to channel their imprint on the mists, but it’s a common assumption.

So now that we get conversations with the legends maybe Kalla will have something to do in this expansion. After all Kralkatorrik has had a huge history with quite a few famous charr figures, so we might get some new charr lore in this expac now.

in Revenant

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

During the announcement a lot of my friends I was chatting with at the time said “Who?” when they said the name. Not a good look for a “Legendary Figure” in my opinion.

in Revenant

Vennyhedgie.5369

During the announcement a lot of my friends I was chatting with at the time said “Who?” when they said the name. Not a good look for a “Legendary Figure” in my opinion.

Not sure Mallyx is considered that legendary either.

It all boils down to “have you played gw1 before”. There’s more lore about Kalla in the base game than there was about any other legend except ventari (because of the sylvari).

I had no idea who Mallyx was, I knew about Jalis and Shiro from WP’s videos, but I sure as hell didn’t remember jalis. Only shiro stuck in my mind because he was a big villian

in Revenant

Brian.6435

There was lore about Kalla in the base game? I’m not trying to be a kitten here, but I played the first game and the expansions and don’t remember her at all.

Which brings me to the point I wanted to make. The Legendary’s we choose from now we have some connection with if we played the original series. Kalla on the other hand, unless you read about the lore after EotN, should leave you scratching your head saying…who?

Not saying I have anything against Kalla, but to me there’s a lot more choices out there that would have made sense at the moment. Like others have said MAYBE it’ll be explained in the story. The teaser did begin with Rytlock starting to explain what happened to him in the mysts.

Regardless, I was thinking about it again this morning and I would have really liked it if they chose Eir Stegalkin as the new Legendary. She has a direct connection with the player character, uses a bow, and would have been a nice homage to her death as a way to live on.

in Revenant

Posted by: Garr.1823

Garr.1823

Problem with Kala is just an absolute absence of logic. She had a greatsword… If renegade would have a greatsword – no one would say a word.
But since we will be granted with a shortbow – we want to see any logic behind this legendary.
…yes, I know – Anet will not change all the animation/sounds or skills that are already done, no matter how we frustrate here, lol

in Revenant

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

As GW1 headstart player I don’t even recognize this Kalla at all lolz..

Nowhere in the story talked about Kalla as well.

Picking some npc most players don’t even know is not a smart move, despite it may have key role in Charr history lesson.

in Revenant

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

The main mistake they made was tying the concept for the new elite around condi shortbow when that should have been made core. Then they could have chosen an altogether different elite spec.

in Revenant

Posted by: Rain.9213

Rain.9213

I’m pretty sure the devs got the idea for Kalla Scorchrazor and the Renegade as a whole from me…

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/revenant/Choose-the-Next-Rev-Legend/first#post5308934

That was the first ever suggestion for Kalla Scorchrazor on these forums as far as my searches suggest.

Except I suggested we get a Greatsword instead of a lame Pew Pew Shortbow. In my head, Kalla would have been designed to be a hybrid Condi brawler akin to Warrior instead of a summoner but oh well at least we know the devs do listen to the community from time to time!

in Revenant

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

I’m pretty sure the devs got the idea for Kalla Scorchrazor and the Renegade as a whole from me…

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/revenant/Choose-the-Next-Rev-Legend/first#post5308934

That was the first ever suggestion for Kalla Scorchrazor on these forums as far as my searches suggest.

Except I suggested we get a Greatsword instead of a lame Pew Pew Shortbow. In my head, Kalla would have been designed to be a hybrid Condi brawler akin to Warrior instead of a summoner but oh well at least we know the devs do listen to the community from time to time!

I do understand why they add Shortbow though cuz so few class cna use those lolz.

And Revenant lacks range condi weapon so they a range condi weapon. (Not as good as hammer though…)

in Revenant

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

I do understand why they add Shortbow though cuz so few class cna use those lolz.

And Revenant lacks range condi weapon so they a range condi weapon. (Not as good as hammer though…)

Which is why they should have had Shortbow added to core Rev (Revs have fewer skills than other classes), and, if they were going to use Kallah, given it a Greatsword.

Pretty big screw-up, if you ask me.

in Revenant

Posted by: ScottBroChill.3254

ScottBroChill.3254

give me razah and my scepter/focus and call it a day. It was Elonan, or at least in the realm of torment.