Legend Particle Effects at Character's Wrists

in Revenant

Posted by: Ebax.1320

Ebax.1320

Why are the particle effects that indicate what legend we have up present at all times? Why can’t it be hidden out of combat or when weapons aren’t drawn?

Why aren’t they like an elementalist’s attunement where they only have a visual indicator while the character has weapons drawn or is in combat? Legends and attunements are similar in the sense that they give access to certain skills depending on what legend/attunement is available. I could understand the reasoning of ‘there needs to be a visual indication of what legend they’re on’ if elementalists could never hide their attunement wristlets, but that’s not the case for eles.

I know it seems petty that this is my major gripe with the profession, but it really is about the only major gripe I have. Just have the particle effect go away out of combat like with eles.

in Revenant

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

I LOVE the wrist effect, it’s great flavor for the class, Revs are always channeling (apparently, the legends even chat to you out of combat) so it makes sense the effect is always there.

why not go for the middle-ground? it’s always on,but it is removed when using the reduced particle effects option?

I’d personally be very sad if it was removed.

(edited by Calcifire.1864)

in Revenant

Posted by: Enrif.7359

Enrif.7359

I agree with Ebax. Altough the effect got a better visual then in beta weekend 2 it’s stil annoying to have it all the time. In battle/with drawn weapon thats fine, that when an Rev realy summons the powers of the legends to use them. Out of fight the legends are more like a litte voice in your head.

in Revenant

Posted by: Ebax.1320

Ebax.1320

I LOVE the wrist effect, it’s great flavor for the class, Revs are always channeling (apparently, the legends even chat to you out of combat) so it makes sense the effect is always there.

why not go for the middle-ground? it’s always on,but it is removed when using the reduced particle effects option?

I’d personally be very sad if it was removed.

I didn’t say remove it permanently anywhere? If you read the post, you’d see that it would be visible in the same conditions that the elementalist attunement wristlets are visible.

To clarify:
1. Invisible when weapons are stowed
2. Visible when weapons are drawn

And from a flavor perspective, constantly being on mistfire makes very little sense. When their power is really invoked and manifested, like when a person is about to fight or attacking, it makes perfect sense and is a flavor win for sure. Just standing around in a trading post it would get strange looks from bystanders. (at least until the world was acclimated to 1/9th of the population with their arms on green fire, which I guess could happen?)

(edited by Ebax.1320)

in Revenant

Posted by: Kidel.2057

Kidel.2057

Not this again…
Hand glow is perfectly fine, get over it.

in Revenant

Posted by: Kronos.2560

Kronos.2560

Hand glow is fantastic, just get rid of the circles under your feet when using herald. Keep the hand glows.

in Revenant

Calcifire.1864

I just wonder why the “no hand glow” people don’t ask for an option to toggle it off like the death knight eyes and voices in WoW? that option harms NOBODY, and yet they jump straight for “NO I DON’T LIKE IT! REMOVE IT!”

I personally hope that they keep the PERMANTENT hand glow, in combat and out. if you don’t like it, ask for a toggle, don’t ruin it for other people

in Revenant

Posted by: Captain Guthix.8320

Captain Guthix.8320

Don’t get rid of the hand glow. The point of the Revenant is to be a knight who uses magic. If you don’t want to see glowing effects or magic, play a warrior.

in Revenant

Posted by: JoaoFA.8475

JoaoFA.8475

I love the hand glow!

in Revenant

Posted by: Luridel.5728

Luridel.5728

While I like the hand glow, I don’t know why it’s always-on, either! I’d like to see it be limited to just when weapons are drawn, too.

in Revenant

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

I love the glowy hand effect. Please leave it the way it is.

in Revenant

Posted by: Shevek.2691

Shevek.2691

I just wonder why the “no hand glow” people don’t ask for an option to toggle it off like the death knight eyes and voices in WoW? that option harms NOBODY, and yet they jump straight for “NO I DON’T LIKE IT! REMOVE IT!”

I personally hope that they keep the PERMANTENT hand glow, in combat and out. if you don’t like it, ask for a toggle, don’t ruin it for other people

A lot of us did, me included. Was never touched upon.

Honestly, I love the hand glow, but it’s a bit much for when you’re just standing around and waiting for something to happen. I’d love a toggle to make it appear only in combat/with weapons drawn, but it’s up to A.net to decide on that.

in Revenant

Enrif.7359

Don’t get rid of the hand glow. The point of the Revenant is to be a knight who uses magic. If you don’t want to see glowing effects or magic, play a warrior.

a Knight who uses Magic is the Guardian? would you like that their aegis is always visible too? i doubt it. And for the sake of it, it would make a lot more sense for the guardian having blue firy hands then its for the revenant, who uses the mist

also it seems more people are annoyed by the visuals (heralds ground effect and hand glows) compared to people who ask for more of it, i wonder why……not realy actually

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

implying guardian doesn’t always have that crappy aegis shield, all the time, messing up real shields.
Revenant’s effect is 100% better and cool.
Stop asking to get rid of it, people love it.

You stated your opinion, and you are greatly outnumbered. Deal with it.

in Revenant

Posted by: bluesnacks.2301

bluesnacks.2301

love hand glow

Quand on parle du loup, on en voit la queue.

in Revenant

Enrif.7359

implying guardian doesn’t always have that crappy aegis shield, all the time, messing up real shields.
Revenant’s effect is 100% better and cool.
Stop asking to get rid of it, people love it.

You stated your opinion, and you are greatly outnumbered. Deal with it.

They atleast don’t have it out of combat/in idle stance

and that the revenant effect is better is your opinion, and people will hate it still, deal with it :P

in Revenant

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Absolutely love them and how it’s on all the time. I actually wish Roy would have them made more prominent!

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

in Revenant

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I don’t really mind, but it probably doesn’t need to be active out of combat.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

in Revenant

Calcifire.1864

a Knight who uses Magic is the Guardian? would you like that their aegis is always visible too? i doubt it. And for the sake of it, it would make a lot more sense for the guardian having blue firy hands then its for the revenant, who uses the mist

also it seems more people are annoyed by the visuals (heralds ground effect and hand glows) compared to people who ask for more of it, i wonder why……not realy actually

don’t try and make it seem like there are more by combining the ones who dislike the floor circle with the hand glow haters.

I’m not a fan of the circle (the blue ring could me made more translucent and fade better around the edges), but LOVE the hands.

there are TWO of you who actively dislike the hands, with about 10 in this thread who DO like it

as for out of combat effects, mesmers get retalliation and aegis out of combat when using signet of inspiration (which we have to because we don’t get a speed boost trait until chronomancer)

in Revenant

Enrif.7359

don’t try and make it seem like there are more by combining the ones who dislike the floor circle with the hand glow haters.

I’m not a fan of the circle (the blue ring could me made more translucent and fade better around the edges), but LOVE the hands.

there are TWO of you who actively dislike the hands, with about 10 in this thread who DO like it

as for out of combat effects, mesmers get retalliation and aegis out of combat when using signet of inspiration (which we have to because we don’t get a speed boost trait until chronomancer)

maybe there are only 2 who talks about this concerns, since most people currently are more concerned with revenant gameplay wise and dont care that much for the visuals right now if they are not really that off. And the herald visual falls in the same row the hand glow falls. it has no use for the player of the revenant even as fluff. its sololy for spvp so your enemies know what you are doing. which is ok, for spvp. in WvW you are most likly in a group and the visuals are covered by other players more visuals and in PvE…who cares?

and Mesmer is a bad example, you can any time you want turn off the signet by simple swapping the skill for something else. the hand glows stay…always…no matter what..no choice.

If you want to compare it to any one it would be the Aegis of the guardian, which only shows in battle stance, the ranger pet, which can be stowed away outside of battle and the elementalist hand glow which, also only shows in battle stance.

Personaly i would be absolute silent if they had atleast one legend left without a handglow as an option, like ventari in bwe2. But now there is no Option, no choice at all

(edited by Enrif.7359)

in Revenant

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

Geez, people, maybe take some time to actually read what OP has to say? He doesn’t want it gone completely; he just thinks it looks out of place when you’re out of combat with your weapon stowed.

in Revenant

Posted by: Angier.1047

Angier.1047

There are many others that dislike the fact that the particle effects are ALWAYS on. And ALL the time the suggestion is to simply disable the effects while standing out of combat and with weapons sheathed. Where’s the harm in that? Every other class also follows this logic (looking at you, Guardian and Elementalist!) why does the Revenant have to show this rather obvious effect all the time?

Now, I know that lore wise the Revenant is channeling the respective legend all the time and not just when he wants to. Yet, I see no reasoning that this has to show in a hand glow. I’d also say that it gets much more dramatic if the effect kicks in once the Revenant prepares for battle, like: “Okay, Glint. Let’s do this!” whoosh, hands on fire, charges into battle

in Revenant

Posted by: Cyrus.4105

Cyrus.4105

I think there’s room for everybody to be happy here:

If we had no glow out of combat, but had some flashy hand-animation when we drew our weapons based on the legend we’re in before our hands settle into the current glow, maybe that’d be a bit better?

I mean the Guardians Aegis doesn’t show when weapons aren’t drawn, and I think it’d feel pretty bamf to witness my hands burst into flame whenever I open on some fool.

Cyrus Neveris – Watchers of the Vale [WoV]

in Revenant

Posted by: gannondorf.7628

gannondorf.7628

I like the wrist glow too. No problem here for me, add some nice visuals.

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

If we had no glow out of combat, but had some flashy hand-animation when we drew our weapons based on the legend we’re in before our hands settle into the current glow, maybe that’d be a bit better?

I mean the Guardians Aegis doesn’t show when weapons aren’t drawn, and I think it’d feel pretty bamf to witness my hands burst into flame whenever I open on some fool.

But I want the glow out of combat… I won’t be happy.

in Revenant

Angier.1047

But I want the glow out of combat… I won’t be happy.

Do you also want the aegis-shield to be permanently visible? Or the ele glow? If not, you want to have it disregarding past design choices.

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

I also like those 2 effects you mentioned. In my life I only asked for aegis to be hidden when having a real shield, but not a big deal.

in Revenant

Angier.1047

The permanent glow effect on Rev feels horribly out of place in comparison to other professions. So it’s not just personal preference but also a question of adhering to coherent design principles.

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

The permanent glow effect on Rev feels horribly out of place in comparison to other professions. So it’s not just personal preference but also a question of adhering to coherent design principles.

It is a personal preference since the vast majority of the posters here doesn’t agree with you.

in Revenant

Angier.1047

The posters here are not debating design choices but personal preference. My argument is about the design choice.

Besides: Just because in this instance there are other people posting in favour for the effect (or against it) doesn’t mean either side is representive. In the end, it’s ANet’s call and all we can do is bring up valid points for either side. No gain in trying to confince anyone that your view is the only correct one just because there are others agreeing with you. That’s not how this works, sorry.

in Revenant

Posted by: bluesnacks.2301

bluesnacks.2301

That’s how it worked when people complained over engineer backpacks, so yes it is how things go

Quand on parle du loup, on en voit la queue.

in Revenant

Lonewolf Kai.3682

The posters here are not debating design choices but personal preference. My argument is about the design choice.

Besides: Just because in this instance there are other people posting in favour for the effect (or against it) doesn’t mean either side is representive. In the end, it’s ANet’s call and all we can do is bring up valid points for either side. No gain in trying to confince anyone that your view is the only correct one just because there are others agreeing with you. That’s not how this works, sorry.

Design choice? What? That’s like people saying that Revenant’s shouldn’t have weaponswap because of design choice of making it equal across all armor types. That makes no sense.

Also, major rules. That’s how it always works, sorry.

in Revenant

Enrif.7359

personally i think Revenant would still work without weapon swap.
but thats not the point of this thread.

also as Angier and myself pointed it out, we want to be treated the same as Guardian, Elementalist,Ranger in allowing us to hide any class specific visuals while out of combat. It’s only fair.

And the change to Engineer backpacks, maybe it was for the upcoming legendary backpacks?

in Revenant

Posted by: Shevek.2691

Shevek.2691

Design choice? What? That’s like people saying that Revenant’s shouldn’t have weaponswap because of design choice of making it equal across all armor types. That makes no sense.

Also, major rules. That’s how it always works, sorry.

So then why not support a compromise?

I’m honestly not in favor of the idea that “majority rules” in this concept when there’s a clear answer that’d satisfy both parties—a toggle—and that’s coming from somebody who does, in fact, like the glow. There are good reasons from both sides for their preference; this alone makes it a valid “let’s compromise” point.

Stubbornly sticking to the idea that it has to be one or the other with this simple cosmetic is generally what’s going to keep it stuck to one or the other, and I’d rather push a suggestion that helps out both parties. Now, if A.NET -can’t- do it for one reason or another? That’s a different matter.

in Revenant

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

It is a personal preference since the vast majority of the posters here doesn’t agree with you.

Vast? The “vast” majority of posters didn’t read, at all, and are arguing something contrary to the OP. When some people are trying to conciliatory by having the effect only display during combat it’s clear they didn’t read because that is the entirety of the OP.

The majority of the posters like the effect, but only a handful of them are adamant that it has to be permanent, as it currently is. It’s hardly even any number at all, though, when you consider this is still the first page.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

in Revenant

Enrif.7359

Vast? The “vast” majority of posters didn’t read, at all, and are arguing something contrary to the OP. When some people are trying to conciliatory by having the effect only display during combat it’s clear they didn’t read because that is the entirety of the OP.

The majority of the posters like the effect, but only a handful of them are adamant that it has to be permanent, as it currently is. It’s hardly even any number at all, though, when you consider this is still the first page.

If i’m correct there are currently only 2 who want it alltime permanent, and atleast 3 who don’t want it out of combat. the rest likes it, but doesn’t mind if its off while out of combat.

soo…what was this with the majority?

in Revenant

Lonewolf Kai.3682

If i’m correct there are currently only 2 who want it alltime permanent, and atleast 3 who don’t want it out of combat. the rest likes it, but doesn’t mind if its off while out of combat.

soo…what was this with the majority?

I think you need to recount, because I got a largely different amount of keepers/removers/neutrals.

Don’t forget to add the other thread to this count as well. I’m sure that’ll change the number too. And, I think you’re gonna find the number of keepers is much higher.

(edited by Lonewolf Kai.3682)

in Revenant

Calcifire.1864

the only solution that satisfies everyone is a toggle, a simple option in the menu that says “disable revenant effects out of combat” would please everyone (well except those who want it off all the time)

I like it OoC because it gives us something unique, and it ties in with the “revenants are always channeling, legends occupy a permanent spot in your mind” lore we have. we’re not just using them as a weapon, they are acting as allies, guides, and possibly even friends, that glow out of combat is significant because they are not something to be used when convenient like the elementalists use the elements, they are part of us, and removing that glow would remove a HUGE bit of nuance to the class’s lore.

professions have precious little lore as it is, and revenants less than most due to the temporal paradox that is the personal story, removing permanent handglow gives us even LESS lore, which is something I would fight relentlessly against. (hence why I’mso willing to suggest an “out of character” method of removing the glow via the settings, because doing it in-character goes counter to the spirit of the profession, and brings up nasty concerns like “if they aren’t channeling out of combat, why can’t norn transform?”)

as for the majority, the fact that there are a few thousand who have not complained, yet two who have implies that the VAST majority are content with it now, the ones who are happy tend not to say anything.

(edited by Calcifire.1864)

in Revenant

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

I hardly ever even notice it.

in Revenant

Enrif.7359

i would actualy say there are more then 3 groups.

those who don’t like it all the time
those who want i t all the time
those who like it but dont care if its off while out of combat or not
those who dont care at all
those who dont notice

now, of those 5 groups only the first 2 would right now make a thread like this or the oppsiit demanding it all time on thread. the lower three don’t as they ether dont care or dont notice or dont find it important

basicly what i want to say is, the majority is on nether side

in Revenant

Posted by: Dastion.3106

Dastion.3106

It seems pretty reasonable to me to have the particle effects fade when not in combat or when your weapons are stowed. Sometimes I like seeing my full armor set without particles over them non-stop.

Perhaps they could fade after a minute or so out of combat?

in Revenant

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

It seems pretty reasonable to me to have the particle effects fade when not in combat or when your weapons are stowed. Sometimes I like seeing my full armor set without particles over them non-stop.

Perhaps they could fade after a minute or so out of combat?

Or perhaps be a bit softer OOC, so it could kind of flare when entering combat?

I think adding a toggle specifically for this is unlikely because of the back-end engineering & UI work required.

in Revenant

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Maybe it’s just me, but the hand glowing seems a lot more faded this time around. Am I just imagining it?

in Revenant

Enrif.7359

Maybe it’s just me, but the hand glowing seems a lot more faded this time around. Am I just imagining it?

It is by far not as bright as it was in bwe2, thats right

in Revenant

Lonewolf Kai.3682

I thought so. I know I’ve mostly been a proponent for keeping them on all the time, but I’d rather have brighter, combat only hand glow than the lesser, always on version we got this time around.

in Revenant

Posted by: mexay.3902

mexay.3902

Keep the glow! It’s awesome!

I love how it got added to the Berserker spec as well. Neat things like this make me love classes. I always thought the way Ele had their attunements was really cool. It adds more flavour to classes. I’d love to see more subtle things like this on all classes or on certain elite specs/traits.

noice

in Revenant

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I like the effect. :o Thought it was the armor for a sec and was like these are neat gloves. XD

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Revenant

Posted by: scath.9814

scath.9814

Hand glow is fantastic, just get rid of the circles under your feet when using herald. Keep the hand glows.

I’m with you, I really enjoy the hand glow! Not a fan of the filled in circle, although I do like the symbols around it that indicate what Facet you’re channeling.

“You ever wonder why we’re here?”

in Revenant

Calcifire.1864

I thought so. I know I’ve mostly been a proponent for keeping them on all the time, but I’d rather have brighter, combat only hand glow than the lesser, always on version we got this time around.

I’d be happy if we got a brighter combat glow but a dimmer non-combat glow, just as long as the glow was still there OoC. (if anything, that would improve Rev’s flavor: you are always channeling, but in combat you access more power)

in Revenant

Lonewolf Kai.3682

I’d be happy if we got a brighter combat glow but a dimmer non-combat glow, just as long as the glow was still there OoC. (if anything, that would improve Rev’s flavor: you are always channeling, but in combat you access more power)

Yeah, I like that! I’m not sure why the fiery glow was toned down so much. Roy, please make it so.