What exactly is OP or Broken about Revenant?

in Revenant

Posted by: mexay.3902

mexay.3902

I’ve been over on the PvP forums and been talking to people in game and I keep hearing people tell me Revenant is “OP” or “Too strong” and needs to be nerfed. I’ve been playing Revenant since HoT launched and played Warrior and Guardian beforehand since BWE1, but I’m struggling to see what exactly is super OP about Revenant.

Personally, I think it’s one of the weaker classes in the current meta (at least for the builds being ran), but maybe I’m a little bias.

What exactly is too strong on Revenant and needs to be nerfed?

noice

in Revenant

Posted by: Darknicrofia.2604

Darknicrofia.2604

you’re playing revenant wrong if you think its one of the weaker classes.

Darknicrofia Sage – Bad Gerdian, Merciless Legend, Platinum NA Solo Que

in Revenant

Posted by: Euthymias.7984

Euthymias.7984

Honestly, I don’t see a lot being that OP about Revenant. They have their strengths and weaknesses, but a lot of people just want to btch about it because of l2p issues like Glint’s heal being “OP” (even after nerfs to it and Crystal Hibernation), Herald in general providing lots of boons/boon duration to allies, and Condi Rev being decent in 1v1s.

There are also those who think that the last ESL, which had teams stacking two of them, that they overshadow other professions, too(but hey, if your group practiced with two Revs and found it effective for their composition while the rules allowed stacking, then why not?)

Ive never heard anyone say core Revenant is OP, and I doubt anyone who says that would be taken seriously. Herald is strong, sure, but the rest of Revenant really needs an overhaul and fixes. At least, it should be good enough so that taking Herald should be something to consider and not absolutely mandatory to be viable, but that’s a problem with a lot of the current Elite Specs in general.

in Revenant

Posted by: Frank.3791

Frank.3791

With the poor condi removal rev has, nerfing it will probably kill the class. Ik if they nerf it, im not playing it anymore lol. The class depends on the support of its teammates to keep it alive so it doesnt drown in condis. Forget 1v1ing a condi mes, reaper you have a bit of a chance of killing one. With only a staff skill to remove condis with a long cd, u have to be good at dodging or ur dead within second.

in Revenant

Posted by: XxsdgxX.8109

XxsdgxX.8109

you’re playing revenant wrong if you think its one of the weaker classes.

Definitely not weak, but people are also playing wrong if they think it’s OP [Hello Infuse Light(nerfed), Crystal Hibernation(gutted by nerfs) and the occasional cries about hammer] . So around the 4th place at the very best if we rank them which is decent.

Honestly, I don’t see a lot being that OP about Revenant. They have their strengths and weaknesses, but a lot of people just want to btch about it because of l2p issues like Glint’s heal being “OP” (even after nerfs to it and Crystal Hibernation), Herald in general providing lots of boons/boon duration to allies, and Condi Rev being decent in 1v1s.

There are also those who think that the last ESL, which had teams stacking two of them, that they overshadow other professions, too(but hey, if your group practiced with two Revs and found it effective for their composition while the rules allowed stacking, then why not?)

Ive never heard anyone say core Revenant is OP, and I doubt anyone who says that would be taken seriously. Herald is strong, sure, but the rest of Revenant really needs an overhaul and fixes. At least, it should be good enough so that taking Herald should be something to consider and not absolutely mandatory to be viable, but that’s a problem with a lot of the current Elite Specs in general.

With the poor condi removal rev has, nerfing it will probably kill the class. Ik if they nerf it, im not playing it anymore lol. The class depends on the support of its teammates to keep it alive so it doesnt drown in condis. Forget 1v1ing a condi mes, reaper you have a bit of a chance of killing one. With only a staff skill to remove condis with a long cd, u have to be good at dodging or ur dead within second.

Couldn’t have said it better so the only real reason people complain is just for the sake of complaining, never their fault, always something else.

Stella Truth Seeker

(edited by XxsdgxX.8109)

in Revenant

Posted by: Malchior.5732

Malchior.5732

I would say that certain aspects of Revenant are unhealthy design, but straight OP? Eh. It’s definitely pretty strong, but when things like Scrappers and Reapers are running around, I think that currently it’s fair game.

However, I would LOVE for most of the elite specs to be toned down a decent amount and some aspects redesigned. Will that happen? Probably not, but I can hope.

in Revenant

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

They’re in a good spot. When fighting them as a DH, it’s hard to keep up with their sustain, which can make it seem as if they’re OP. If I had a little bit more sustain I’d feel on par with them, and maybe then the fights would seem more even or “skill based”.. I’ve fought some pretty good revs, and I don’t believe they should be nerfed, but I believe other classes not on their level need to be brought up to it.

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

in Revenant

Posted by: Artemid.3925

Artemid.3925

I’m not a great player by any stretch, but neither am I awful (somewhere between average and above average, hit Ruby without a ton of problem last season and probably could have made Diamond if I had tried), and I actually found Rev more than a bit tricky to pick up. I tried the condi Mallyx in S1 and balancing resistance with trying to put on much real damage felt really difficult. Switched to the power shiro build for S2, and while things go much better, it still feels like I have to be on my toes more than with other classes or I’ll mismanage and be dead. I’ve even found this to be true for HoT PvE stuff, where I die way more than I ought to because I mess up.

Does this match other peoples’ experiences?

in Revenant

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

I’m not a great player by any stretch, but neither am I awful (somewhere between average and above average, hit Ruby without a ton of problem last season and probably could have made Diamond if I had tried), and I actually found Rev more than a bit tricky to pick up. I tried the condi Mallyx in S1 and balancing resistance with trying to put on much real damage felt really difficult. Switched to the power shiro build for S2, and while things go much better, it still feels like I have to be on my toes more than with other classes or I’ll mismanage and be dead. I’ve even found this to be true for HoT PvE stuff, where I die way more than I ought to because I mess up.

Does this match other peoples’ experiences?

I definitely feel that you need to be on your toes when it comes to skill rotations/energy management and legend swapping. When done right Rev is pretty strong. When done wrong you eat dirt and get stomped.

I have about as many matches done on my Rev as i have on my Scrapper and i can definitely say Scrapper is more forgiving and easier to get the DPS and heal combos off than Rev (for me at least)

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in Revenant

Posted by: Zodi.8932

Zodi.8932

Coming from a thief’s point of view I have no idea why people say Rev is OP. It is perhaps the only class I know I will beat 1 on 1 comfortably. Skilled players on all classes stand a good chance to kill me but a good Rev can never beat me

in Revenant

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

There is a reason why good teams will run 2 rev. Good damage + good survivability + good mobility + good team support = super strong.

in Revenant

Posted by: hypehype.9047

hypehype.9047

Ues sigil of generosity

and if you play wvw also use Sigil of Cleansing

+ use skill trait invocation that removes one condi.

I joke about my build being a diamond herald because i never have any condi on me.

(edited by hypehype.9047)

in Revenant

Posted by: Loop.8106

Loop.8106

They just do too many things too well. They have fantastic mobility aswell as sustain. They can easily peel for teammates aswell as sticking to an enemy. The issue I have with Revs is that their skills just do too much.

Look at Riposting Shadows: Dodge, Endurance Gain, Stunbreak, gap closer aswell as soft cc removal. No cooldown outside of Energy cost.

Same things with staff 5 and sword 3, them being evades aswell as the HUGE dmg dealing skills they are in 1v1 fights its absurd if you ask me.

I would also like for Precision strike to get an overall dmg nerf of 15% aswell as only fire 1 projectile so that its dodge-able. This way, its stronger in teamfights when focusing a target down but is dodge-able in 1v1s.

Optimise [OP]

in Revenant

Posted by: Amineo.8951

Amineo.8951

Revenant might seem weak because the meta revolves around condi and CC spam which completely destroy them in team fights if nobody has a support class in your team. It’s nonetheless one of the best class for 1v1, you can manage well unless your opponent is a good thief, necro (their rotation is predictable though) or shatter mes, otherwise you have the advantage over your opponent.

in Revenant

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Riposting Shadows restoring full dodge. It’s just a big no-no. And Precision Strike is a little bit too strong when it doesn’t bug out or gets split. Should be changed to always fire 2 projectiles at targeted enemy and bonus one if other targets are present.

Apart from that, not much really.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Revenant

Posted by: DHawk.2687

DHawk.2687

A lot of thieves are mad at the rev system because it basically replaced the whole thief class, energy system is somewhat like the ini system, many attacks or skills are teleport, evade and in general very thief-ish
their mobility is great (not as good as a daredevil’s but still 2nd best)
their survivability is great
dmg is a bit over the top with some skills
larger hp pool etc
adding that thief was nerfed for having might stacks building up while in stealth
rev has a constant 9-15stacks, but since it’s rev it’s not as bad as thief i guess

in Revenant

Posted by: Asrat.2645

Asrat.2645

Ok first of all: there are a lot, srsly a lot of bad revenants I see running around. Or maybe not bad but decent. But the very few good players I meet are untouchable (not as much as an ele or scrapper, but those deserve theit own nerfs), deal high damage without much counterplay and are extremely mobile.
So, what exactly is op about the revenant? When I first read through their traits and skills, I made a ‘wtf.txt’ document and listed everything I could not believe. The main thing is: they are not op in a way like reaper or ele or scrapper, but literally everything they have features no weakness. They try to be a thief in damage and mobility, a guard in blocks and stability and an engi in cc. Condi removal might be the only place where they lack. Everything else was designed as: no counterplay pls.
I seem to have lost my list, so I will try to reconstruct it.

I do not propose to just nerf everything I list here. But these are the skills, that seem
a) pretty powerful
b) flawed in design
So at least they should be looked at.
I would love to see other choices get buffed instead, to promote a gameplay based on skill and active play instead of uncounterables and passives.

-Rampant vex. Not particulary strong but literally a thief trait x3 (better condi, longer condi, every weapon)

-Empty vessel. Thats a lot of stunbreak in one trait. It would be ok, if it wasnt a minor choice.

-Roiling mists and manical presence. One of them would be ok, not both. If you dont take precision stats, you should not crit. That is that.

-Malicious reprisal. The icd makes it somewhat ok, but again: this is nothing but avoiding counterplay, especially when combined with cruel repercussion. If your foe Uses a block skill, you should not get some passive effect, that rewards you for hitting them anyways.

-Assassins annihilation. Strong skill, no doubt. Would probably be ok, if the rest gets tuned down. But also one of the skills, that is a punch in the face for every thief to see it on another class.

-Retribution. The whole traitline is awful. Nobody told them to avoid passive effects I think.

-Unwavering avoidance. No way. Simply no way. Stability gained so easy is just plain wrong. And enchanced bulwark makes it unbearable. EB would be ok without this trait. But the ‘synergy’ is completely broken.

-Dwarven battle training: drastically reduces the impact of one of the best conditions to counter powerbuilds.

-Eye for an eye. Im not being completely fair here. Each and every of these passive counters hould be removed.

-Versed in stone…Nothing to say here.The skill itself has counterplay, the trait takes that away. And adds yet another passive defense. why?!

-Radiant revival. What do you do if someone is ressing? thats right, you cleave. What happens if you cleave on radiant revival? exactly. So you can choose to either let the rev ress in peace or speed up his process. The stability should make sure, he doent get interrupted by mistake…A trait that takes from you your usual options to counterplay without giving you an alternative.

-Soothing bastion…more passives…

-Enduring recovery. If this was not a revenant trait, it would grant you vigor.

-The overall damage reduction across all traitlines is also a bit high.

-Surge of the mists
We discussed that in another thread. High damage, no pre-casting animation, knockback, evade frame. all of that is too much. at least one of those attributes needs to go. Preferably the evade, to make a hard-to-use skill instead of a safe burst.

-Crystal hibernation. Remove the healing, allow movement. There is no reason at all, why this should be better than any block on for example warrior.

-Precision strike or unrelenting assault. Its ok if your sword gives you one hart hitting, hard to avoid skill. It can be dodged. But you should not have two.

I really cant say much about the utility skills. Most seem pretty reasonable, but I can not judge that, without playing rev myself.

-Just one: Riposting shadows. An extremely powerful skill by removing conditions, giving you two evades and being a no cd stunbreak.

Let me know if you heavily disagree on one of these, but pls keep in mind, that I would nerf every class if I could, and not only the rev.
This is one of the most promising attempts on good balance in my eyes.

in Revenant

Posted by: Ryyman.2196

Ryyman.2196

Riposting shadows is the most broken thing about rev imo. That skill refunding a whole dodge with no cd is pretty absurd.

Precision strike is a bit too overtuned. It’s either really strong (in 1v1) or meh (in anything other than 1v1).

The entire retribution traitline. The whole thing is passive and it’s not fun to play against. Imo one of the worst traitlines in the game (design wise).

in Revenant

Posted by: KrHome.1920

KrHome.1920

Riposting shadows is the most broken thing about rev imo. That skill refunding a whole dodge with no cd is pretty absurd.

Please don’t ignore the revenants class mechanics!

-Riposting Shadows costes 30 energy – if you run out of energy on rev, you are dead!

-if you want to use Riposting Shadows you are bound to 4 other (Shiro) skills, including one of the worst heals in the game – the dodge/stun break is important to compensate this

You can’t just look at one skill on rev and call this skill OP as it is not possible to combine utilities.

(edited by KrHome.1920)

in Revenant

Malchior.5732

Ok first of all: there are a lot, srsly a lot of bad revenants I see running around. Or maybe not bad but decent. But the very few good players I meet are untouchable (not as much as an ele or scrapper, but those deserve theit own nerfs), deal high damage without much counterplay and are extremely mobile.
So, what exactly is op about the revenant? When I first read through their traits and skills, I made a ‘wtf.txt’ document and listed everything I could not believe. The main thing is: they are not op in a way like reaper or ele or scrapper, but literally everything they have features no weakness. They try to be a thief in damage and mobility, a guard in blocks and stability and an engi in cc. Condi removal might be the only place where they lack. Everything else was designed as: no counterplay pls.
I seem to have lost my list, so I will try to reconstruct it.

I do not propose to just nerf everything I list here. But these are the skills, that seem
a) pretty powerful
b) flawed in design
So at least they should be looked at.
I would love to see other choices get buffed instead, to promote a gameplay based on skill and active play instead of uncounterables and passives.

-Rampant vex. Not particulary strong but literally a thief trait x3 (better condi, longer condi, every weapon)

-Empty vessel. Thats a lot of stunbreak in one trait. It would be ok, if it wasnt a minor choice.

-Roiling mists and manical presence. One of them would be ok, not both. If you dont take precision stats, you should not crit. That is that.

-Malicious reprisal. The icd makes it somewhat ok, but again: this is nothing but avoiding counterplay, especially when combined with cruel repercussion. If your foe Uses a block skill, you should not get some passive effect, that rewards you for hitting them anyways.

-Assassins annihilation. Strong skill, no doubt. Would probably be ok, if the rest gets tuned down. But also one of the skills, that is a punch in the face for every thief to see it on another class.

-Retribution. The whole traitline is awful. Nobody told them to avoid passive effects I think.

-Unwavering avoidance. No way. Simply no way. Stability gained so easy is just plain wrong. And enchanced bulwark makes it unbearable. EB would be ok without this trait. But the ‘synergy’ is completely broken.

-Dwarven battle training: drastically reduces the impact of one of the best conditions to counter powerbuilds.

-Eye for an eye. Im not being completely fair here. Each and every of these passive counters hould be removed.

-Versed in stone…Nothing to say here.The skill itself has counterplay, the trait takes that away. And adds yet another passive defense. why?!

-Radiant revival. What do you do if someone is ressing? thats right, you cleave. What happens if you cleave on radiant revival? exactly. So you can choose to either let the rev ress in peace or speed up his process. The stability should make sure, he doent get interrupted by mistake…A trait that takes from you your usual options to counterplay without giving you an alternative.

-Soothing bastion…more passives…

-Enduring recovery. If this was not a revenant trait, it would grant you vigor.

-The overall damage reduction across all traitlines is also a bit high.

-Surge of the mists
We discussed that in another thread. High damage, no pre-casting animation, knockback, evade frame. all of that is too much. at least one of those attributes needs to go. Preferably the evade, to make a hard-to-use skill instead of a safe burst.

-Crystal hibernation. Remove the healing, allow movement. There is no reason at all, why this should be better than any block on for example warrior.

-Precision strike or unrelenting assault. Its ok if your sword gives you one hart hitting, hard to avoid skill. It can be dodged. But you should not have two.

I really cant say much about the utility skills. Most seem pretty reasonable, but I can not judge that, without playing rev myself.

-Just one: Riposting shadows. An extremely powerful skill by removing conditions, giving you two evades and being a no cd stunbreak.

Let me know if you heavily disagree on one of these, but pls keep in mind, that I would nerf every class if I could, and not only the rev.
This is one of the most promising attempts on good balance in my eyes.

While some observations are fine, a lot of them seem too focused on comparing classes.

The Revenant must manage Energy for both Weapon and Utility skills along with cooldowns (mostly on the weapons).
Their weaknesses come from lack of Condi Removal, a CC vulnerability (without Enhanced Bulwark + Unwavering Avoidance), and having to manage Energy to do anything.

There is a reason that a Revenant’s Block should be somewhat better than a Warrior’s:
Energy cost, lack of options, more vulnerable to Conditions overall, etc.

There is a reason that a Revenant should have better staying power than a Thief:
lower burst damage, lower sustained damage, less mobility, no stealth, barely any escapes, etc.

You should play the class first and then actually judge it.
I suggest you play without Herald first and then with and then make a proper assessment.

Again, this isn’t to say that you’re totally wrong or anything (I dislike the perma-Stab and I think some of the damage in PvP is too high while the survivability might be a bit too good), but you definitely should play the class first. It’ll give you a much better idea about how it all actually plays out.

in Revenant

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

Tf is up with retribution line being passive? Most traits are passive. What you want retribution to do? Please give me a list of non passive traits to retribution. Honestly some things i see in this thread are absurd really.

There are good passives and bad passives. We reduce some damage, yep, ok. Is it gamebreaking? No. Meanwhile we have reaper swings his scythe in air gaining might due to trait and my guess is thats an “active trait” in eyes of many.. cus reaper has to press 1 in air. So active, wow

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

(edited by Burtnik.5218)

in Revenant

Posted by: Asrat.2645

Asrat.2645

I have absolutely no problem with the revenant having higher sustain than a thief.
But in exchange, it should not offer the same options in damage and mobility either and exceed in boon application.
Revenant is basically like a scrapper. They can have their cake and eat it too. They can deal damage without having to sacrifice sustainability.
If you want to build your revenant as a damage dealer, that is fine. But if you move that damage dealer in the midst of combat and get focussed, you should suffer. Not just: ‘30% (or whatever it in actuality is) damage reduction’, 3 jail escape cards (Facet of light, Soothing bastion, crystal hibernation), another 50% plain damage reduction, basically immunity to all cc and, last but not least, a high amount of stamina and dodges.
See what I mean? You should totally be allowed to have some of it, but not all. You will eventually have to make sacrifices and hard decisions, what skill/trait you should choose.
Its probably a flaw in the whole class concept/ the invocation mechanic.
You invocate a legendary thief: you should be able to do everything the thief does.
You invocate a legendary dwarf: you should be a tank.
So either you get over yourself and make the ‘invocated’ version a substantially weaker version of the original class. Or you truly allow only one invocation at a time. Meaning: If you are on shiro, passives related to the dwarf have no effect.
I actually like that…If they did this: making the invocations strong but onesided and exclusive, so you can swap between completely different ‘styles’ during combat. I would probably roll a revenant.

in Revenant

Malchior.5732

I have absolutely no problem with the revenant having higher sustain than a thief.
But in exchange, it should not offer the same options in damage and mobility either and exceed in boon application.

See, the fact is that Thief has higher burst, higher sustained damage and more mobility (both for engaging and escaping). Whether it’s usable in the current PvP meta is a different case.
The problem is that staying in team fights is much more important now and that’s where Thief starts to falter. Revenant works even better with Auramancer support, which lets it stay in a fight even longer.

Herald has boons, but it was designed to be a group support spec. Base Revenant has very little group support itself.
I do agree that Herald does too much and needs some changes, but then again, so do most elite specs.

in Revenant

DHawk.2687

See, the fact is that Thief has higher burst, higher sustained damage and more mobility (both for engaging and escaping). Whether it’s usable in the current PvP meta is a different case.
The problem is that staying in team fights is much more important now and that’s where Thief starts to falter. Revenant works even better with Auramancer support, which lets it stay in a fight even longer.

Herald has boons, but it was designed to be a group support spec. Base Revenant has very little group support itself.
I do agree that Herald does too much and needs some changes, but then again, so do most elite specs.

uhm tbh when is the last time you actually played thief, let’s just look at the pvp side, a backstab does 4-6k dmg, a backstab!!! which should be the hardest single target burst skill in the game, but it’s not, we don’t have sustained dmg, that is the definition of burst, get in, unload, get out, and as a thief you die when you try to do that unless the target is really low or dumb, or both, and there has to be noone or tops 1 other player near him or else he’ll just faceroll you if you try to fight, all thief can do nowadays is run away
rev uses sword 3 higher dmg than 1 backstab and you are 100%invuln during the attack and it ports and you gain might
hell precision strike can do more dmg than a backstab
as herald you have might, fury and spee 24/7
thief got nerfed for having might in stealth (which was a LOT weaker than rev might fury and swiftness uptime but ok)
but this is not about thief issues, it’s rev issues, the problem with almost every class except for thief and warrior (warrior just a little) is the insane power creep with added high sustain (best example scrapper) and rev is certanly up there too
and yes the energy cost is something to work with, but it’s nothing near the ini system which punishes spamming MUCH more than energy, since energy regens much faster than ini does
some ppl are arguing that the weapon swap is what is making rev too strong, which could be right, but the whole class is so hard to balance at this point that what anet should do is rebalance every class in the whole game and start from scratch

in Revenant

Malchior.5732

uhm tbh when is the last time you actually played thief, let’s just look at the pvp side, a backstab does 4-6k dmg, a backstab!!! which should be the hardest single target burst skill in the game, but it’s not, we don’t have sustained dmg, that is the definition of burst, get in, unload, get out, and as a thief you die when you try to do that unless the target is really low or dumb, or both, and there has to be noone or tops 1 other player near him or else he’ll just faceroll you if you try to fight, all thief can do nowadays is run away
rev uses sword 3 higher dmg than 1 backstab and you are 100%invuln during the attack and it ports and you gain might
thief got nerfed for having might in stealth (which was a LOT weaker than rev might fury and swiftness uptime but ok)
but this is not about thief issues, it’s rev issues, the problem with almost every class except for thief and warrior (warrior just a little) is the insane power creep with added high sustain (best example scrapper) and rev is certanly up there too
and yes the energy cost is something to work with, but it’s nothing near the ini system which punishes spamming MUCH more than energy, since energy regens much faster than ini does
some ppl are arguing that the weapon swap is what is making rev too strong, which could be right, but the whole class is so hard to balance at this point that what anet should do is rebalance every class in the whole game and start from scratch

It’s a fact that Thief has higher sustained DPS than Revenant (~27k vs 19k respectively at best; this obviously scales down in PvP, but the ratio is still there and you can try it out yourself with a DPS meter; IIRC, Thief Dagger autos are also quite a bit stronger than Rev Sword autos and about as strong as a proper DPS rotation of a Rev) and higher burst potential overall; not necessarily with Backstab, but it’s definitely much higher than what you can normally do with Precision Strike, more reliable, more controllable and has less counters.

It’s also a fact that Thief has much higher mobility than anyone else in both engaging and escaping. I honestly think this is what will keep Thief from ever being the team fighter that people want because mobility is just so powerful (imagine a Thief that can stay in fights, has higher mobility and damage than the Revenant, and has Stealth/Steal on top of that; it wont happen unless Thief takes some hits).

Revenant has thief-like damage (it’s lower by a decent amount) and thief-like engaging skills (but with bad disengaging skills and no stealth) and a beefier body.
Thus, Revenant is just much better at team fighting. It brings enough of what a team needs and its weaknesses are more easily covered than a Thief’s, who can blow up much faster.

Again, I’m not saying Herald is fine as is, but it doesn’t do more damage or have more mobility than Thief; that’s just not true.

(edited by Malchior.5732)

in Revenant

XxsdgxX.8109

PvP Conquest is all about TEAM play, so of course that the classes with the most support will benefit the team the best and by nature thief is a selfish class but actually great for Roaming/Solo play (Better than Rev so please don’t ignore that fact). It’s just that conquest isn’t the place for them, really the nature of the gametype and the nature of the class don’t go together. Blame ANET for only having one single gametype…. it’s really stupid

Stella Truth Seeker

in Revenant

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

Core rev is fine, could even be considered under powered in some aspects if taken by itself.

The problem arises from Herald and all that it brings & how well that interacts with core skills/traits.

in Revenant

Posted by: alchemyst.2165

alchemyst.2165

It’s not op in the sense that it can beat everything 1v1. It’s op because it can do basically everything at once. Team fight, support, damage, 1v1, mobility, decent sustain, all at once.

in Revenant

Malchior.5732

It’s not op in the sense that it can beat everything 1v1. It’s op because it can do basically everything at once. Team fight, support, damage, 1v1, mobility, all at once.

I know what you’re saying, but technically, Tempest/Ele, Scrapper/Engi, Chrono and even Druid all do everything in that list (although the meta Tempest doesn’t really focus on dealing damage, at least not as much as the old D/D Ele).

(edited by Malchior.5732)

in Revenant

Posted by: Euthymias.7984

Euthymias.7984

>Riposting Shadows

Its powerful (and I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if Anet touches it in tweaking Shiro again *sigh), surely., but it also has a 30% energy drain on use as well. Unless a Revenant built up energy in Shiro, its not something to be spammed. Shiro is still extremely glassy, even with that skill, too.

>Herald does too much

It brings a lot to the table as far as ESpecs go (but almost all ESpecs are overtuned as is!), but its DPS and support isn’t surpassing something like the other Especs (Tempest, Druid in particular). Revenant(+Herald) is a pretty big Jack of Trades case in that it can do a lot of things, but isn’t amazing at any one thing in particular.

I don’t think they’re OP by any stretch of the imagination, but Core Rev could use some adjustments and Heralds (along with ALL of the other Elite Specs) also need some toning down

in Revenant

Rym.1469

It’s not op in the sense that it can beat everything 1v1. It’s op because it can do basically everything at once. Team fight, support, damage, 1v1, mobility, decent sustain, all at once.

Almost all of meta specs are very flexible due to nature of Conquest. That wasn’t true couple years ago, but it is now. It is not only Revenant.

in Revenant

Burtnik.5218

>Riposting Shadows

Its powerful (and I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if Anet touches it in tweaking Shiro again *sigh), surely., but it also has a 30% energy drain on use as well. Unless a Revenant built up energy in Shiro, its not something to be spammed. Shiro is still extremely glassy, even with that skill, too.

If they nerf it, they will have to buff Shiro surv by other means let it be PT changed to ground targeted blink, stealth, protection or whatever. Shiro without riposting shadows might as well not exists. You know its funny when ppl point it out being op and yet it causes no issues without herald.

in Revenant

DHawk.2687

It’s a fact that Thief has higher sustained DPS than Revenant (~27k vs 19k respectively at best; this obviously scales down in PvP, but the ratio is still there and you can try it out yourself with a DPS meter; IIRC, Thief Dagger autos are also quite a bit stronger than Rev Sword autos and about as strong as a proper DPS rotation of a Rev) and higher burst potential overall; not necessarily with Backstab, but it’s definitely much higher than what you can normally do with Precision Strike, more reliable, more controllable and has less counters.

It’s also a fact that Thief has much higher mobility than anyone else in both engaging and escaping. I honestly think this is what will keep Thief from ever being the team fighter that people want because mobility is just so powerful (imagine a Thief that can stay in fights, has higher mobility and damage than the Revenant, and has Stealth/Steal on top of that; it wont happen unless Thief takes some hits).

Revenant has thief-like damage (it’s lower by a decent amount) and thief-like engaging skills (but with bad disengaging skills and no stealth) and a beefier body.
Thus, Revenant is just much better at team fighting. It brings enough of what a team needs and its weaknesses are more easily covered than a Thief’s, who can blow up much faster.

Again, I’m not saying Herald is fine as is, but it doesn’t do more damage or have more mobility than Thief; that’s just not true.

yes if you could kitten sit behind a mob and spam autoattacks for days thief has better sustained dmg, as soon as you fight players we don’t, just because as soon as you try to just stand there autoattack you litterally get onehitted by almost every single thing in the game
don’t see that happening with any other class btw
the reason why thief sucks as 1v1 class is because the dmg of every class is soo high, we would have to do 10k backstabs standardized to be somewhat on par (no I’m not saying it would be balance, it’s just an example)
furthermore EVERY kittenn class has a kitten ton of get out of jail free cards, passive procs that promote bad gameplay (passive invuln procs) and has been a pathetic addition to the game, the only invulns that should be in the game are the Guard Elite and the Warriors Endure Pain skill (NOT TRAIT)
you cannot be an assassin if as soon as you burst it just says 00000000 or invuln, while the other player can still dps you down most of the time
yes thief has high mobility, but before daredevil after the specilization patch, thief was horrible compared to the rest even tho he had no extra mobility
the mobility isn’t what is keeping thief from being good in 1v1’s, it’s the insane amount of damage everywhere, as thief if you try to play aggressive and make 1 single mistake you instadie to some random aoe that wasn’t even meant for you in the first place
and another thing you forget, mobility is all good and fine, but you can’t kill your foe running away, i could have a million dodges, what good are they if i can’t kill you, thief is a run away class, nothing more, thanks to arenanet
and to be honest, thieves stealth has become so bad and easy to counter it’s a death sentence if you try to play the deception arts
everything reveals, min of 40s on a 3 sec stealth, Shadow Refuge is a huge kill me sing that has too many counters and doesn’t provide enough to be worth it
other classes have better and/or easier access to stealth than a thief (which is pathetic if you think about it)
best example scrapper gyro is a mobile shadow refuge, that has longer duration, lower cd, a daze, no counter mobility other than another scrapper using the toolbelt reveal, you don’t get revealed when knocked out like SR and the overall animation is way less visible than SR
thief has always been a hated class, not because it’s op (well after he got nerfed at launch, that was a bit over the top) it’s because bad players always start to cry if they die to a thief, oh stealth is so unfair so op, there are so many ways to counter a thief even without reveal it’s pathetic, ppl just don’t like to work for it
and last but not least thief is imho the only class that really takes a lot of skill in this game at this point, which is in theory fine, a risk reward class, the thing is, you have almost no reward for max risk, one mistake and you are dead or have to run away
gg on that balance anet
there is a reason why almost everyone who mained thief left gw2, and not just the good thieves, a lot of ppl are starting to leave, simply because anet is incapable of balancing
same reason why I’m leaving

in Revenant

Burtnik.5218

Actually theres not much counterplay to stealth other than reveal, sry. Your hit get blocked, evaded and nothing happens, you wont get revealed aka not punished.. spam till you land eventually.

You dont get revealed when you take hit, you dont get revealed when you get cc and we dont know if we even hitting anyone in stealth unless its autoattack chain.. bc for whatever reason numbers doesnt show up. SR in theory has counterplay as you can aoe the little house but thats about it really.

Meanwhile in my game there are 3 classes with stealth. They all work different. For example;

Ao Kuang Teleports forward into Stealth, leaving behind a watery form of himself. He remains in Stealth for 5s or until he attacks or takes damage.

Loki disappears in a puff of smoke. While invisible, he moves faster, removes and gains immunity to Slow effects, and takes 25% less damage. << if you cc him he lose stealth, if you deal damage to him/apply DoT damage you can see where he is as damage numbers pop up on screen.

Now look at gw2 stealth. Ez mode without punishment. Lets also not forget that stealth itself is far more limited (Loki 4sec, Ao 5sec) on high cd compared to gw2. Its really silly to complain about reveal in this case.

(edited by Burtnik.5218)

in Revenant

DHawk.2687

Actually theres not much counterplay to stealth other than reveal, sry. Your hit get blocked, evaded and nothing happens, you wont get revealed aka not punished.. spam till you land eventually.

You dont get revealed when you take hit, you dont get revealed when you get cc and we dont know if we even hitting anyone in stealth unless its autoattack chain.. bc for whatever reason numbers doesnt show up. SR in theory has counterplay as you can aoe the little house but thats about it really.

Meanwhile in my game there are 3 classes with stealth. They all work different. For example;

Ao Kuang Teleports forward into Stealth, leaving behind a watery form of himself. He remains in Stealth for 5s or until he attacks or takes damage.

Loki disappears in a puff of smoke. While invisible, he moves faster, removes and gains immunity to Slow effects, and takes 25% less damage. << if you cc him he lose stealth, if you deal damage to him/apply DoT damage you can see where he is as damage numbers pop up on screen.

Now look at gw2 stealth. Ez mode without punishment. Lets also not forget that stealth itself is far more limited (Loki 4sec, Ao 5sec) on high cd compared to gw2. Its really silly to complain about reveal in this case.

shows that you have no clue how thief actually plays out, 1st of all, Shadow Refuge if you leave it before every pulse is over you get revealed and loose every second of stealth applied
meaning you can get knocked out, pulled, feared etc or just walk our port out half a second to early and get revealed
now to stealth in general, you have to seperate 2 situations, the target knows the thief is in stealth and he doesn’t know
if he doesn’t know stealth is strong, well either to get away or to have a decent engage burst
now when the target knows the thief is in stealth or about to stealth, there are several reveal skills and mechanics, but these aren’t even my main point
1. almost every thief plays dp, meaning if you see the blind field, walk into it, making his heartseaker hit you reavealing him
2. interrupt the heartseaker
3. burst the area he just stealthed in/drop aoe
4. average stealth uptime infight is 3 sec without reapplying
meaning wait those three seconds, move unpredictably while the time runs out, use autoattack/trashdamage on your position, dodge after 3 second, bs countered
5. there are uncountable channel skills that go through stealth, e.g. rapid fire (which will one hit a thief if he gets hit by every arrow (berserker thief)), true shot, Killshot etc

80% of the community act like stealth is an instant invuln enemy is just gone, doesn’t exist anymore, you can still hit him, you can still predict his movement, since you know for a fact he needs to come to you, thieves die instantly infight if they get hit a few times
if you just stand there waiting while the thief resets that is the “targets”/players fault, not the thiefs or the stealth mechanic, which is as i said very easy to outplay, just a l2p issue

Now classes that can use stealth: Druid, Ranger, DH, Scrapper, Engi, Mesmer, Chrono, Thief, DrD
Classes that have reveal: Scrapper, Druid, Ranger, DH, Revenant, Herald

Furthermore the thieves stealth skill all have very very high CD with very low Stealth time
and your post just shows that you have no clue about thieves in general
1. movementspeed increase only when traited (speed is the same as if with swiftness out of fight)
2. less dmg also only when traited
3. Removing condi only when traited
4. same with slow/different trait, has nothing to do with stealth
5. there are many ways of telling if you hit a stealthed opponent, sigil procs, boonprocs, the fact that you aa chain engages

If you think playing a stealth based thief is ez mode, go ahead and play it, but record it and post it here, we’ll see how fast and how many times you get owned xD

(edited by DHawk.2687)

in Revenant

Posted by: Azukas.1426

Azukas.1426

Toker pulled off 1.1 MILLION damage in one of the game’s while being able to 1v1, group fight, and sustain.

That’s broken.

in Revenant

Malchior.5732

while being able to 1v1, group fight, and sustain.

Isn’t that the whole reason to even take Revenant?

in Revenant

Posted by: Azukas.1426

Azukas.1426

Doing it all while having mobility and pumping out THAT much damage is broken.

I understand you don’t want to lose your shiny new toy but overall game balance is more important than your desires

in Revenant

Burtnik.5218

slipppp

Actually i played thief a bit. Im not a expert with him but it doesnt matter really as d/p is ez mode as long you know what to do. Trying to 1v1 someone.. i mean.. why? Your job is to +1 and decap, the times where thief could go rambo mode and push out other zerk builds are gone, thief community been saying 3 years to zerker eles, mesmers, pewpew rangers and so on “l2p”. Well, guess what? L2p.

I have absolutely no sympathy for coward playstyle or it community which want to go and take 1v1 anyone cus they picked “assassin” class when they actually have no idea whatsoever what assassins actually was. Many games promotes assassin as 1v1 masterclass when in reality they would get their kitten beated hard by any “warrior”.. assassin are just that – sneak up, murder someone in sleep, poison food, sabotage etc. In straight open fight these guys are.. potatoes.

1&2 – I think its time to update your info. All you have to do is dodge through smoke field thanks to leap finisher from daredevil. Also last time i played thief i could hit someone with heartseeker and follow it up with backstab without getting revealed cus reasons.. aka stealth is applied after heartseeker hit. L2p on your part again

3 – Most of the time thats pointless as usually thief uses stealth to gtfo.
4 – You can chain it for longer and thats what most good thieves doing already..
5 – L2p issue, you never go stealth under channeled ability

As for rest of your crying, thief has tools to go into stealth from weapon skills alone that has.. wait for it, 0 cd. Usually access to invis comes with big tradeoffs like the Loki i mentioned – no gap closers outside of “elite” skill to spike squishy/low hp target down and no teamfight presence.

In other games you move slower, stealth breaks on taking hits etc. In comprasion gw2 its a joke really to even complain about reveal. In any serious pvp game reveal wouldnt be needed, 1 hit from my autoatk would break it.. Think about it before you start complaining about reveal again. In short, l2p, i wasted enough time for you.

(edited by Burtnik.5218)

in Revenant

Burtnik.5218

I understand you don’t want to lose your shiny new toy but overall game balance is more important than your desires

And more important than your desires as well. Rev mobility depents on having a target. Without it they are slow af unlike thief.

in Revenant

Malchior.5732

It’s funny because blind nerfing seems to be your desire.
Anyway, I barely play Power Herald (or any Herald variant) or even GW2 anymore.
The current pvp meta isn’t fun to me at all because everything is overtuned, I don’t have the time to raid right now, and WvW is just a mindless distraction every so often.

So no, I’m not afraid of losing anything and I’ve already said what I think is too strong on Rev countless time (and so has Burtnik and many others).
We literally can’t do anything except wait for the Devs to respond.
Some of us don’t care if Herald gets nerfed as long as the undertuned aspects of Rev get fixed up, but because of how balance has been handled and because of mindless whining, we’re probably just going to get a big fat nerf and be left like that.

in Revenant

XxsdgxX.8109

It’s funny because blind nerfing seems to be your desire.
Anyway, I barely play Power Herald (or any Herald variant) or even GW2 anymore.
The current pvp meta isn’t fun to me at all because everything is overtuned, I don’t have the time to raid right now, and WvW is just a mindless distraction every so often.

So no, I’m not afraid of losing anything and I’ve already said what I think is too strong on Rev countless time (and so has Burtnik and many others).
We literally can’t do anything except wait for the Devs to respond.
Some of us don’t care if Herald gets nerfed as long as the undertuned aspects of Rev get fixed up, but because of how balance has been handled and because of mindless whining, we’re probably just going to get a big fat nerf and be left like that.

Yep

Rev will most likely become another warrior at this rate, underdog after getting overnerfed to death. Just notice how they keep nerfing Noob-Stomping skills the most:

Infuse Light, AKA No hit stupid.

Crystal Hibernation

Hammer

Staff 5, early after launch

Unrelenting Assault

Same as the DH nerfs, like seriously it has always been a low tier Spec but since it’s quite good for Noob-Stomping it gets nerfs anyway.

Herald and Shiro are the only viable things for high tier PvP, there’s seriously nothing worse than a Rev running Jallis and/or Ventari, not even for Raids unless you are just there to get carried.

Stella Truth Seeker

(edited by XxsdgxX.8109)

in Revenant

Posted by: JackaS.9426

JackaS.9426

What is broken/bugged on revenant: sword 2 hits without target to stealthed enemies.

Maining dragonhunter, I consider a retribution revenant a counter build, because my dmg on them is so low, I can barely cc them because the stability, they keep an amazing dmg on all his skills and I get outsustained even dodging his bursts most of fight, at the end I lose my endurance and I get oneshooted in 1 combo (guardian need vigor somehow without being forced to play honor).

As condi I would say: mehh so bad class ez win.

Conclusion: revenant is too strong vs power builds because his amazing dmg and sustain, but sucks vs condi so the class should get reduced the dmg on their skills or nerf the might stacking, sword 2 shouldnt hit in stealth but give them more survability vs condis.

in Revenant

Posted by: CutesySylveon.8290

CutesySylveon.8290

Some of the bias here is unreal. I’ve seen revs take or groups of 3-4 and last long enough for help to come. Retribution is probably the lazyist spec to choose because of all the ridiculous passive defenses. Take soothing bastion and you can chain the root block twice with shield, free stab on evade, two stacks if you take EB, passive endurance regen from retribution so more free easy stab, stun break every 8 sec on a minor that’s just as good as Foot in the Grave for necro and that’s a GM, reducing weakness effectiveness for some stupid reason, 50% damage and condition reduction on wait for it….another passive defense that’s also a stun break, free unblockables when you get blocked and the option to have those attacks have greater damage and both passive, numerous evades on weapon skills, plenty of blocks, high offensive pressure, good mobility (to anyone dumb enough to say rev has bad mobility then look at necro before you complain, and it doesn’t have near the passive or active defenses rev has). Core rev isn’t near as bad as people say it is when you stop looking at ventari and corruption’s lack of synergy with the new Mallyx, and everyone knows Herald is beyond out of control. Rev has to make little to no sacrifices in order to have most of these things and do them very well, not the best at them, but very effective. I played rev in the betas and knew after bw3 it was out of line, and was salty about Mallyx. I don’t play my rev anymore because it’s boring, half of the class can potentially play itself because you can rely on something activating that you did nothing to cause. Does it have its problems? Yes, ventari and salvation are useless, Mallyx and his line couldn’t be much farther apart, hammer is useless aside from CoR spam and it’s still full of bugs. The only thing rev truly lacks is good condi cleanse, bit that’s intended.

in Revenant

DHawk.2687

slipppp

Actually i played thief a bit. Im not a expert with him but it doesnt matter really as d/p is ez mode as long you know what to do. Trying to 1v1 someone.. i mean.. why? Your job is to +1 and decap, the times where thief could go rambo mode and push out other zerk builds are gone, thief community been saying 3 years to zerker eles, mesmers, pewpew rangers and so on “l2p”. Well, guess what? L2p.

I have absolutely no sympathy for coward playstyle or it community which want to go and take 1v1 anyone cus they picked “assassin” class when they actually have no idea whatsoever what assassins actually was. Many games promotes assassin as 1v1 masterclass when in reality they would get their kitten beated hard by any “warrior”.. assassin are just that – sneak up, murder someone in sleep, poison food, sabotage etc. In straight open fight these guys are.. potatoes.

1&2 – I think its time to update your info. All you have to do is dodge through smoke field thanks to leap finisher from daredevil. Also last time i played thief i could hit someone with heartseeker and follow it up with backstab without getting revealed cus reasons.. aka stealth is applied after heartseeker hit. L2p on your part again

3 – Most of the time thats pointless as usually thief uses stealth to gtfo.
4 – You can chain it for longer and thats what most good thieves doing already..
5 – L2p issue, you never go stealth under channeled ability

As for rest of your crying, thief has tools to go into stealth from weapon skills alone that has.. wait for it, 0 cd. Usually access to invis comes with big tradeoffs like the Loki i mentioned – no gap closers outside of “elite” skill to spike squishy/low hp target down and no teamfight presence.

In other games you move slower, stealth breaks on taking hits etc. In comprasion gw2 its a joke really to even complain about reveal. In any serious pvp game reveal wouldnt be needed, 1 hit from my autoatk would break it.. Think about it before you start complaining about reveal again. In short, l2p, i wasted enough time for you.

as i said I’m sick of your bs
make a vid of you being as good as you claim with thief or log off, cause all you do is talk big with nothing behind it to back you up, good day to you sir

in Revenant

Burtnik.5218

I dont have to when you even know your own class, in quote

“if you see the blind field, walk into it, making his heartseaker hit you reavealing him”.

At this point you cannot be taken serious, amber. Bai.

Ps. i dont play gw anymore

in Revenant

mrauls.6519

And more important than your desires as well. Rev mobility depents on having a target. Without it they are slow af unlike thief.

While in Glint stance they can have “perma swiftness”, or use Impossible Odds while in Shiro stance and immediately switch to Glint for a refill on upkeep, though

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

in Revenant

Burtnik.5218

While in Glint stance they can have “perma swiftness”, or use Impossible Odds while in Shiro stance and immediately switch to Glint for a refill on upkeep, though

So can anyone really except dh, swiftness is not rare boon anymore and everyone but dh and rev has 25% move speed trait already.

in Revenant

Rym.1469

Some of the bias here is unreal. I’ve seen revs take or groups of 3-4 and last long enough for help to come. Retribution is probably the lazyist spec to choose because of all the ridiculous passive defenses. Take soothing bastion and you can chain the root block twice with shield, free stab on evade, two stacks if you take EB, passive endurance regen from retribution so more free easy stab, stun break every 8 sec on a minor that’s just as good as Foot in the Grave for necro and that’s a GM, reducing weakness effectiveness for some stupid reason, 50% damage and condition reduction on wait for it….another passive defense that’s also a stun break, free unblockables when you get blocked and the option to have those attacks have greater damage and both passive, numerous evades on weapon skills, plenty of blocks, high offensive pressure, good mobility (to anyone dumb enough to say rev has bad mobility then look at necro before you complain, and it doesn’t have near the passive or active defenses rev has). Core rev isn’t near as bad as people say it is when you stop looking at ventari and corruption’s lack of synergy with the new Mallyx, and everyone knows Herald is beyond out of control. Rev has to make little to no sacrifices in order to have most of these things and do them very well, not the best at them, but very effective. I played rev in the betas and knew after bw3 it was out of line, and was salty about Mallyx. I don’t play my rev anymore because it’s boring, half of the class can potentially play itself because you can rely on something activating that you did nothing to cause. Does it have its problems? Yes, ventari and salvation are useless, Mallyx and his line couldn’t be much farther apart, hammer is useless aside from CoR spam and it’s still full of bugs. The only thing rev truly lacks is good condi cleanse, bit that’s intended.

You lost me at Soothing Bastion.

in Revenant

mrauls.6519

So can anyone really except dh, swiftness is not rare boon anymore and everyone but dh and rev has 25% move speed trait already.

True, but rev doesn’t lack in the mobility department, so it’s on par with everything, but not slow af

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos