how do we range???

how do we range???

in Revenant

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

Shrio legend sounds like a blast! It really does. But what are we supposed to do when in the middle of a fight and we need to range something when melee is not a choice?

Anet this is still a huge concern for me that has not been addressed. Has there been any discussion yet on weapon swapping as there really is no reason the class shouldn’t have it. I would love a reply on this

how do we range???

in Revenant

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

What do D/D eles do in the middle of a fight when they need range? They Ride the Lightning and BECOME THE RANGE! lol

No seriously though… Lots of classes just “man-up” so to speak when this situation occurs. They either change weapon out of combat ahead of time, or they get into melee and kill it. I see warriors do this all the time. They have rifle and longbow available, but they would rather use axe and GS for obvious reasons.

Does Rev hammer need a buff? Yeah, but they don’t need to be this “end-all-be-all versatility class” with every contingency covered. They are a heavy armor class for crying out loud, and we already have Engie and Ele who are supposed to be “jack of all trades.” Rev isn’t supposed to be “jack of all trades.”

how do we range???

in Revenant

Posted by: Silv.9207

Silv.9207

They wrote something like… teleport through the mists… movement skills… That seems like a good gap closer, right?

how do we range???

in Revenant

Xenon.4537

…weapon swapping as there really is no reason the class shouldn’t have it…

There is a good reason not to have it: they get to swap their 6-0 instead…

Range vs melee really is a non-issue. The real issue is synergy. Legends don’t synergize well with each other, and their weapons synergize even less. My solution is to make weapons a “blank slate” by removing conditions, damage, support, etc from them. Instead make traits add those effects. Mallyx traits add conditions to the weapon slot, regardless of which weapon type. Jalis traits add CC regardless of weapon. Ventari adds support, and Shiro adds damage modifiers.

That way your build defines your weapon, not the other way around. For example you would be able to apply conditions while channeling Ventari, as long as you took the right Mallyx traits. Legends should be about switching 6-0, not 1-5.

I believe adding default weapon swap is just a lazy design, and tying weapons directly to legends is extremely limiting. If your weapons switched automatically, you would never be able to do a ranged Mallyx build, for example. And if you wanted to use the Jalis heal instead of the Shiro heal, you would lock yourself out of sword DPS for 10 seconds.

how do we range???

in Revenant

Posted by: TheMaskedGamer.5708

TheMaskedGamer.5708

Does Rev hammer need a buff? Yeah, but they don’t need to be this “end-all-be-all versatility class” with every contingency covered. They are a heavy armor class for crying out loud, and we already have Engie and Ele who are supposed to be “jack of all trades.” Rev isn’t supposed to be “jack of all trades.”

I have to disagree on that one. They may be Heavy armor, but because how the mechanics are designed, you realize that they can technically be good at least on two things at a time. They are really selling that flexibility to us, but the weapons don’t really help. They seem to be a crutch to the class since the weapons are really tied down to their specific Legends, which to me doesn’t do the class justice when we have the ability to switch between 2 Legends, but that the weapon only works for one.

how do we range???

in Revenant

Xenon.4537

I have to disagree on that one. They may be Heavy armor, but because how the mechanics are designed, you realize that they can technically be good at least on two things at a time. They are really selling that flexibility to us, but the weapons don’t really help. They seem to be a crutch to the class since the weapons are really tied down to their specific Legends, which to me doesn’t do the class justice when we have the ability to switch between 2 Legends, but that the weapon only works for one.

That’s why I’ve been advocating for a change, if you read my other comments. They don’t need weapon swap, as I’ve explained there’s other ways they could fix this issue which would actually add far more build diversity. It would also avoid glaring issues which I’ve listed, and allow the Revenant to retain it’s unique identity.

how do we range???

in Revenant

Posted by: Kidel.2057

Kidel.2057

Skills 6-0 are nothing compared to skills 1-5 in terms of frequency and low cost.
Being able to swap skills 6-0 does not replace the lack of range swap and 1-5 swap.
You can use almost 1 weaponskill every second, while healing skills has to be used only when you need it, elite skill has a huge cost and/or cooldown and utility skills have toggle or are not really useful, and sometimes have long cooldowns and energy cost >35.
Revenant skill frequency at the moment is the lowest in the game: the lowest. How can you say it doesn’t need weaponswap?

An Elementalist can change range midcombat thanks to kit, and can get >35 cooldowns. during the fight with 4 attunement swap and conjured weapons.
Again, over 35 skills in a row, without caring for the others (that alre already free to use after that rotation).

Also it seems that devs have already acknowledged the fact that the lack of weaponswap is an issue for Revenant, while it’s not for Ele.

A question for you Xenon: have you even tried Revenant in the last days, or you just don’t want it to improve?
And if you tried it, how could you not notice the low skill frequency and the lack of ability to adjust to the situation?

(edited by Kidel.2057)

how do we range???

in Revenant

Xenon.4537

@Kidel.2057

Yes I did play the revenant in the last beta… And I’m done talking to you until you actually read my response to you in this thread instead of spouting the same argument from elementalist skills which I already addressed there.

how do we range???

in Revenant

Posted by: LiQuid.3958

LiQuid.3958

[This is what I came up with.](https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/revenant/F2-Skill-1-Range-Swap/first#post5288071) Basically, you will have access to a range attack on a melee weapon and melee attack on a ranged weapon.

DD eles can switch to staff when out of combat but you can’t do that with revenant as your ranged weapon won’t synergies with your skill set. Eles can keep using staff with dd traits and utilies quite fine.

how do we range???

in Revenant

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

Yes it’s true we can swap our 6 through 9 skills. But we still don’t even get to pick the ones we may want. Plus they won’t do much good if I’m running around in silverwastes and sandstorm champion appears. That fought must be ranged.

As someone above said what does a d/d ele do? Well very simple they swap to a staff.

how do we range???

in Revenant

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

Range vs melee really is a non-issue. The real issue is synergy. Legends don’t synergize well with each other, and their weapons synergize even less. My solution is to make weapons a “blank slate” by removing conditions, damage, support, etc from them. Instead make traits add those effects. Mallyx traits add conditions to the weapon slot, regardless of which weapon type. Jalis traits add CC regardless of weapon. Ventari adds support, and Shiro adds damage modifiers.

That way your build defines your weapon, not the other way around. For example you would be able to apply conditions while channeling Ventari, as long as you took the right Mallyx traits. Legends should be about switching 6-0, not 1-5.

I believe adding default weapon swap is just a lazy design, and tying weapons directly to legends is extremely limiting. If your weapons switched automatically, you would never be able to do a ranged Mallyx build, for example. And if you wanted to use the Jalis heal instead of the Shiro heal, you would lock yourself out of sword DPS for 10 seconds.

I had a similar opinion but instead of the weapon skills I suggested that the legend skills were modified by traits. Also weapons should not be bland just for the sake leveling.

EverythingOP

how do we range???

in Revenant

Posted by: Mike.6285

Mike.6285

Yes it’s true we can swap our 6 through 9 skills. But we still don’t even get to pick the ones we may want. Plus they won’t do much good if I’m running around in silverwastes and sandstorm champion appears. That fought must be ranged.

As someone above said what does a d/d ele do? Well very simple they swap to a staff.

This! There are times going into a battle I know I’d prefer to use a ranged weapon. My Elementalist has the D/D but also a staff. If I’m going to fight a Champion or Elite, I really don’t want to have to go toe to toe with him. I’ll swap out to staff and do my thing. In WvW my Warrior uses A/A switch to GS while roaming on my own. But when I see I’m going to battle with others, I switch out to use a Longbow as I’m running in. When I get to the battle, I have an option to melee or range it.

I’d like to see some ranged weapon on this class. I had tons of fun in the beta and look forward to the “Evolution” of the class. I know they are not 100% done with the class tweaking, but as stated, another weapon option might be in order.

how do we range???

in Revenant

Posted by: ReaverKane.7598

ReaverKane.7598

I like this idea… My suggestion was so that they would change according to legend, but from traits is better since you’ll be able to keep your build.
Still i think the class needs more legends, or a wider pool of utility skills per legend, so you can fine-tune your builds.
A Ranged/caster Core Legend wouldn’t hurt the class either, probably using scepter/Focus, or Scepter/dagger.

That way you can get better synergy in your builds.
You want full dps, go Shiro/caster.
Want support, you can get ventari/Jalis, Ventari/Malix, Jalis/Malix.
Condi build Malix/Caster.
Etc.
I really feel that the ranged caster core specialization would complete the class.