DAREDEVIL Utilities and STAFF SKILLS

in Thief

Posted by: mPascoal.4258

mPascoal.4258

Dude this actually looks really great! I think of all my maxed classes (Guardian, Warrior and Thief) this might be the spec I’m most excited!

Phask - Guardian/DH | Phaskk - Warrior | Phaask - Revenant

in Thief

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

sword pistol seems better at group warfare

more dps on AA
stun and aoe with an evade on 3,
2 to get in and out
4 has short cooldown daze
5 is aoe blindness

staff is slightly more mobile, because it has a leap. yes its slightly different, but they basically have similar goals, one or the other will be dominant.

to do what your talking about better, staff should probably hit more than 3 targets, and have really good mobility while moving, perhaps, actual speed increases while casting, or perhaps bigger attack range.

in Thief

Posted by: Amante.8109

Amante.8109

Wait dash replaces dodge? And daredevil have 3 dodge?
“Dash” has a range of 450?? why would you need shortbow with this much mobility.

The Dash is an Adept Major AFAIK, so you’ll have to spend a point and pass on some other really nice dodge replacements.

Still, I AM curious about Dash as a mobility replacer for Shortbow. With the new 8-10s CD Physical Stunbreak, there might be room to slot in the Signet for 25% MS (or get it from Runes theoretically, but less ideal). That movespeed plus THREE bars worth of longer range dodges that also give you 8s of swiftness each (10s if running Acrobatics) sounds pretty mobile to me!

(edited by Amante.8109)

in Thief

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Ok, totally not following how people think this is lower DPS than sword, but I haven’t looked at the numbers from the in game link. This is what I’m seeing from the tooltips shown on Dulfy compared to the numbers for sword on the wiki:
Staff
AA 1 – 314 dmg, 1/2 sec cast
AA 2 – 329 dmg, 1/2 sec cast
AA 3 – 4x 656 dmg, 1 sec cast

Sword
AA 1: 269 dmg, no cast
AA 2: 269 dmg, 1/2 sec cast
AA 3: 437 dmg, 1/2 sec cast

Now, the after cast of these abilities may throw things off, but I’m not seeing sword as the winner here.

And either way…who knows what the damage will actually be, especially when considering how much the other elite specializations have changed.

in Thief

Posted by: Sykper.6583

Sykper.6583

Uh,

You know, I was kind of expecting a 5 person cleave on the Staff…

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

in Thief

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

Ok, totally not following how people think this is lower DPS than sword, but I haven’t looked at the numbers from the in game link. This is what I’m seeing from the tooltips shown on Dulfy compared to the numbers for sword on the wiki:
Staff

Sword

Now, the after cast of these abilities may throw things off, but I’m not seeing sword as the winner here.

And either way…who knows what the damage will actually be, especially when considering how much the other elite specializations have changed.

There is a comparison on the first page of this thread.
with dagger , sword, and staff visible

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Staff

Sword

There is a comparison on the first page of this thread.
with dagger , sword, and staff visible

The advantage of Staff is the 3rd strike that adds 8s of vulnerability and the multiple strikes that may trigger on-crit effect multiple times (speculation).

Now looking at the Staff skills as a whole, after applying stacks of vulnerability, the other Staff skills, especially Vault, will hit like a truck.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Thief

Posted by: T raw.4658

T raw.4658

People are forgetting that the very 1st data we all saw for the thief’s trait was listing Pulmonary Impact as 2065 damage.

That is 1.5x stronger than this data mine.

I think staff’s damage will be more than adequate fellas

in Thief

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Ahh, yea, after seeing the in-game numbers, I’d be very surprised if the AA is actually that weak at launch.

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Conclusion
These skills are just too good to be true and more than likely will be short-lived. It’s just one of those things that they make it look good and get me excited so I’ll fork-up the $50 for the expansion to only watch these skills nerfed to the ground post release.

No thank you.

I get the same feeling.

Especially since, before reveal they’ve nerfed our evading (biggest being Feline Grace…), either because we had too many or to setup for the elite spec. In both cases it doesn’t mean well for the future of the elite spec. Like, if their intent with the nerf was truly because we had too much evades… then turn around and give a spec the revolves around it and makes it more usefull/OP than before… yeah that won’t last long – probably a month or two after release after the hype dies down… Flip side, if the nerfing was to setup for the elite spec… man that’s sleazy (and they’ve done a number of similar things before… so wouldn’t be surprised)… and again, if they’re pulling that kind of stunt, doubt they will care about the health of the class post expansion release, and will most likely nerf it yet again.

Like as appealing as the elite spec seems… Their previous actions and my doubt in them really holds me from getting the expansion. Like some of the content for the expansion does seem interesting (hopefully will be more so with their hard content announcement), and just the one play-through alone is interesting enough… It’s just, by buying the game, I’m supporting them, and the decision they’ve made and will make… yeah… some I truly can’t support and I’m thinking they will make more that I’m not happy with.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Conclusion
These skills are just too good to be true and more than likely will be short-lived. It’s just one of those things that they make it look good and get me excited so I’ll fork-up the $50 for the expansion to only watch these skills nerfed to the ground post release.

No thank you.

~snip~

Like as appealing as the elite spec seems… Their previous actions and my doubt in them really holds me from getting the expansion. Like some of the content for the expansion does seem interesting (hopefully will be more so with their hard content announcement), and just the one play-through alone is interesting enough… It’s just, by buying the game, I’m supporting them, and the decision they’ve made and will make… yeah… some I truly can’t support and I’m thinking they will make more that I’m not happy with.

I only play the game because I’ve already paid for it, but yeah, I’m not looking forward to buying the expansion for $50. As far as I can tell, this expansion is only worth $20 to me. Much of their effort was allocated in making the Guild Hall and Stronghold for which I care less about.

I’d gladly pay $20 for the expansion and if I see that they are improving my profession then I’ll gladly buy some vanity items from the Gem Store to support them like I did before. There’s no reason for me to spend $50 on the expansion…this is just an over priced hype trian.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Thief

Posted by: Kocoff.7582

Kocoff.7582

WOW THAT ELITE.

" Ennemies struck with this ability are finished"

goodbye basilik V.

Ummmm…

You’re missing something essential there. It only works on “Downed” enemies. It’s just an alternate way of finishing opponents and takes about the same amount of time to do the whole chain of skills as it does to just press ‘F’ and finish them like normal. The only time it will be faster is when the second skill in the chain causes the enemy to go into the downed state.

Yeah? So? still Goodbye Basilik V. for me.

Blackgate Server [RLR]
Thief – Raiden Hayabusa
Thief – Gouki Kurokawa

in Thief

Posted by: Slowmelt.8547

Slowmelt.8547

WOW THAT ELITE.

" Ennemies struck with this ability are finished"

goodbye basilik V.

Ummmm…

You’re missing something essential there. It only works on “Downed” enemies. It’s just an alternate way of finishing opponents and takes about the same amount of time to do the whole chain of skills as it does to just press ‘F’ and finish them like normal. The only time it will be faster is when the second skill in the chain causes the enemy to go into the downed state.

Wouldn’t be so sure.
I suspect that, like an autoattack, it’ll have a decent hold time.
I am hoping I can use the knock-up to start a Pistol Whip flurry.
It would also be an ideal time to apply a quick Blind before setting up a palm strike.
When that puts them down, the last strike can finish them instantly, letting you Shadowstep in, burst someone to pieces, finish them, then disengage.

(edited by Slowmelt.8547)

in Thief

Posted by: Alex.9268

Alex.9268

Uh,

Me too

in Thief

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

Uh,

Me too

Me three, at least on the last hit of the AA chain and the blinding sweep move. Maybe there’ll be enough suggestions after the 2nd BWE that we’ll get some more 5 person cleaves on it. I really have to test it out to see what it can do.

in Thief

Posted by: Amante.8109

Amante.8109

Staff is outclassed by Sword in every meaningful way right now. Upgrading Staff from 3 to 5 targets would be a good start on differentiating it and giving us something new.

in Thief

Posted by: Waterseer.7089

Waterseer.7089

Upgrading Staff from 3 to 5 targets would be a good start on differentiating it.

This is what I want.

in Thief

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

The mysterious 12th trait has been found – and I was right. It’s a 3rd type of dodge skill with power damage. Potential DPS increase for PvE use and just monstrous in general for anything else. This hits about as hard as a frontstab!

Attachments:

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Lyger.5429

Lyger.5429

The mysterious 12th trait has been found – and I was right. It’s a 3rd type of dodge skill with power damage. Potential DPS increase for PvE use and just monstrous in general for anything else. This hits about as hard as a frontstab!

The thief dev has put some really interesting tweaks on the dodge mechanic. I now have hope for Tempest & DH. Well done devs (now pls fix acrobatics and shadow arts).

in Thief

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

wow the staff was almost exactly what i have suggested long time ago (very long)
but it doesnt have much stealth rather more evade and dodges (seems anet dont like stealth any more)

so what comes up in my mind is a sword/pistol +staff
many interrupts, dodges, evade and good dmg but no stealth abusing like d/p and the mobility with SB .
in pvp the is no build without SB and staff alone as the dmg with out stealth ….
hard to see it coming to pvp arena but who knows

in Thief

Posted by: Tarkan.5609

Tarkan.5609

I’m wondering whether the damage happens before or after the blast… if it’s before the blast that could give S/P or P/P a new way to stealth, not stackable though if an opponent is near you…

PvP, Teef & Engi

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

Holy crap I didn’t notice the leap on this at first. Are you say that S/P and P/P could get stealth access?! Could I actually run P/P gaining damage from interupts and have stealth on the set? Man, I hope they put a smoke field on staff 4….. that could be a really fun set with some of these traits…..

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Rain.9213

Rain.9213

I’m wondering whether the damage happens before or after the blast… if it’s before the blast that could give S/P or P/P a new way to stealth, not stackable though if an opponent is near you…

It looks similar to a Greatsword Leap Finisher on a Guardian. So that would mean that you get the Combo from a Smoke Field but the stealth isnt applied until the animation is done…

So… YES! Sword+Pistol and Pistol+Pistol should have stealth access now

To all Daredevil naysayers… I have one thing to say…

Problem?
;D

in Thief

Tarkan.5609

It looks similar to a Greatsword Leap Finisher on a Guardian. So that would mean that you get the Combo from a Smoke Field but the stealth isnt applied until the animation is done…

So… YES! Sword+Pistol and Pistol+Pistol should have stealth access now

To all Daredevil naysayers… I have one thing to say…

Problem?
;D

No I meant whether the damage is applied after the blast finisher or before.

• after the blast finisher: gain stealth from dodging in Black Powder, then deal the damage and get revealed, yay!
  • before the blast finisher: deal damage, then stealth when dodging in a smoke field

that could determine whether you could actually effectively stealth on S/P or P/P (at least with any kind of melee opponent)

PvP, Teef & Engi

in Thief

Rain.9213

Yeah it should work the same as Greatsword Leap or I guess Heartseeker is a much better comparison. As I said, the combo doesnt get applied until the animation is done so after you land and the damage hits. Meaning you could chain a stealth combo without being revealed. At least that’s how it SHOULD work considering that’s how every other leap finisher works.

in Thief

Tarkan.5609

Yeah it should work the same as Greatsword Leap or I guess Heartseeker is a much better comparison. As I said, the combo doesnt get applied until the animation is done so after you land and the damage hits. Meaning you could chain a stealth combo without being revealed. At least that’s how it SHOULD work considering that’s how every other leap finisher works.

Problem is that it’s a blast finisher, not a leap finisher… and Cluster Bomb does reveal you if an opponent is close.
EDIT: forget it, its a leap finisher… i swear i saw that exact trait yesterday though, being a blast finisher…

PvP, Teef & Engi

in Thief

Rain.9213

You sure about that? That trait tooltip that was linked by Auesis says Combo Finisher: Leap :o

Edit: I see you saw the light

in Thief

Tarkan.5609

You sure about that? That trait tooltip that was linked by Auesis says Combo Finisher: Leap :o

I’m quite sure yeah, used this one yesterday: [&CP8HAAA=]
can’t go on GW2 right now but I think that one had a different name and stated a blast finisher, anyone able to check?

PvP, Teef & Engi

in Thief

Rain.9213

Just checked it. Definitely a leap finisher!

in Thief

Kocoff.7582

man 1,147 damage for target 5 every 3/4 of a second…. WTF

A true incentive to evade aggressively. But I don’t think it’s better than an Impaling Lotus, let’s hope, with the way the traits are organized, we don’t get to choose between those those two.
Impaling Lotus: http://imgur.com/a/Ee6t8#8
———-

oh wow it’s a leap?? This has so much potential.
I hope it looks good because I don’t want to look like a monkey while causing damage.
Are we ready for this or na?

Blackgate Server [RLR]
Thief – Raiden Hayabusa
Thief – Gouki Kurokawa

(edited by Kocoff.7582)

in Thief

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

A true incentive to evade aggressively. But I don’t think it’s better than an Impaling Lotus, let’s hope, with the way the traits are organized, we don’t get to choose between those those two.

are we ready for this or na?

my gut tells me the dodge traits are all 3 GM options and will be balanced accordingly. One power offensive, one pure defensive, and one condi offense/defense mixed. That lets them make the effects for each much more powerful and unique, and balance them in a bubble because they can’t interact with one another.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

in Thief

Rain.9213

my gut tells me the dodge traits are all 3 GM options and will be balanced accordingly. One power offensive, one pure defensive, and one condi offense/defense mixed. That lets them make the effects for each much more powerful and unique, and balance them in a bubble because they can’t interact with one another.

That’ll probably be the case, sadly but it could be too strong if you could pick up either Dash and Bound+Lotus Training. Though I think I’d like to have the option to keep the standard dodge but if not, I’m sure I could adapt especially with something like Bound destroying anyone unlucky enough to receive my dodge.

in Thief

Kocoff.7582

Yeah it does seem like it. I wish it would be that way:

everybody chooses Dash and for the next tier, we choose between Bound or Imparing Lotus.

Blackgate Server [RLR]
Thief – Raiden Hayabusa
Thief – Gouki Kurokawa

in Thief

Tarkan.5609

I think they are gonna be in the same tier, but not necessarily GM’s.
Why? When Anet first announced Elite Specs, they talked about a GM that would remove a condition on dodge. I immediately thought about how Thief could use that and it happened.
It may have moved down (as it doesn’t seem like a good GM, useful yes due to condition cleanse lack but not good enough for a GM) but it may have stayed a GM.

PvP, Teef & Engi

in Thief

PopeUrban.2578

Why? When Anet first announced Elite Specs, they talked about a GM that would remove a condition on dodge. I immediately thought about how Thief could use that and it happened.
It may have moved down (as it doesn’t seem like a good GM, useful yes due to condition cleanse lack but not good enough for a GM) but it may have stayed a GM.

Honestly, now that trait lines are all maxed all the time it doesn’t really matter what rank traits are in as much as it matters what else is on the same tier. They could do away with the entire nomenclature of ‘adept, master, grandmaster" or swap all the GM traits in every line for the adept traits and it wouldn’t change anything at all.

Them being all adepts or all GMs is functionally the same exact thing. You can only choose one.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory

in Thief

Kocoff.7582

Honestly, now that trait lines are all maxed all the time it doesn’t really matter what rank traits are in as much as it matters what else is on the same tier. They could do away with the entire nomenclature of ‘adept, master, grandmaster" or swap all the GM traits in every line for the adept traits and it wouldn’t change anything at all.

Them being all adepts or all GMs is functionally the same exact thing. You can only choose one.

^^ It doesn’t matter if they are in the same category. What matters is if they are NOT in the same column. Meaning, we could at least choose two.

Blackgate Server [RLR]
Thief – Raiden Hayabusa
Thief – Gouki Kurokawa

in Thief

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

the main dif is when the players get the abilitiy, i suppose.

Staff still seems too close to sword/X build, i think they are going to be in competition.
They should have probably made staff have ramp up damage/utility, via a chain skill swap system. like depending if its your first/second third skill being used, more dmg/utility.
this way, sword/x is more about bursty multi enemy play, and staff is more about ramp up multi enemy play.

my old solution would just make staff overall better at the same type of gameplay.

in Thief

Posted by: Shiki.7148

Shiki.7148

I’m a little scared, because all the other Specs have 3 similar skills in each tier… So I’m afraid of it being Dash : Adept, Bound/Impaling Lotus on master and then impaling lotus/bound on GM. If you thieves could get all of them at once… halp – Although depending on the synergy with the other traits getting eg. more endurance regen for dropping one of the dodge-traits might provide an overall better idea… Today should be blog-post, right? Guess we will know then…propably.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

in Thief

Posted by: MatthiasL.5346

MatthiasL.5346

If the leap finisher works like heartseeker (which should be the case) the traitline synergies with all weaponsets greatly (not only evade specs). Pistol offhand ( besides d/p) will be way more viable. Theoretical 3 stack stealth is possible due to 3 evade mechanic ( 4 stack could be even possible with endurance regeneration + vigor, or signet… But didn’t do the math yet with duration of pistol #5).

in Thief

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

For kitten’s sake, now I have no reason to not get it.

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

in Thief

Posted by: Mrbig.8019

Mrbig.8019

ROFL S/P DAREDEVIL META CONFIRMED

in Thief

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

Just about any set could be in the meta now.

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

in Thief

Mrbig.8019

Just about any set could be in the meta now.

S/P lacked stealth access, now it has it.

Moreover, dodge could be both a whirl and a leap finisher.

Personally i feel like D/P is still way better even with DD elite spec ( can also go for pulmonary impact, making head shot silly and ridicolous), but other builds may see some light.

I really believe they should change some traits tho, DD could be kinda broken as it is.

in Thief

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

I don’t think it can. Look, there are 3 traits that say they replace dodge. Can’t you see it? I bet all three are on the same trait level and it’ll be your choice which kind of dodge you use.

Also, the whirl finisher projectiles might cause you reveal if the timing is wrong.

in Thief

Posted by: Fenda.1398

Fenda.1398

Given the current state of the thief, a powerful traitline is more than needed. look at all the ridculous stuff other classes have or get. In comparison this is just about right and i hope ArenaNet has pulled the brakes on the Thief Nerf Train once and for all. Tweaks -will- be needed, because numbers and stuff, but no further nerfs.

in Thief

Mrbig.8019

I don’t think it can. Look, there are 3 traits that say they replace dodge. Can’t you see it? I bet all three are on the same trait level and it’ll be your choice which kind of dodge you use.

Also, the whirl finisher projectiles might cause you reveal if the timing is wrong.

absolutey not.

If u follow the pic orders impaling lotus ( whirl finisher) is a minor.

So u can take 3 dodge traits and having dodge doing all 3 things.

in Thief

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

absolutey not.

If u follow the pic orders impaling lotus ( whirl finisher) is a minor.

So u can take 3 dodge traits and having dodge doing all 3 things.

Too bad the reveal officially confirmed what I say : we’ll choose a new dodge as grandmaster.

CF https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/meet-the-daredevil-thiefs-elite-specialization/

in Thief

Posted by: Treeoflife.4031

Treeoflife.4031

Few comments i’d like to make based on the info we got today. sorry if i repeat anything.

All dodge options within the same GM tier is too bad but understand that dodging would be OP if you could take all of them.

Second is the Heal Skill and the master trait Staff Master seem to compete with each other and i see no reason to take both. One rewards you when endurance is full and the other rewards you when it isn’t. i can see trying to heal in advance of dodging but you don’t use your heal at the beginning of a fight. Do they want us to fight as long as we can using evade skills and blinds draining all initiative then heal before resorting to dodge? just confused on this one but we will see how it works out.

Only other thing is that i don’t see too many opportunities for condition builds with this trait line (by itself). The condis on dodge could be really strong tho and the staff skills do have some non damaging conditions for layering so i do see the possibility. If you run PU this might be OP but i think PU is lame haha.

Overall i think this elite spec could be one of the best we have seen thus far and my criticisms / comments will probably be disproven once seen in action but wanted to put forth my feedback as Anet encourages class feedback….even tho they probably get more than the bargain for. Anyways very excited to see the Dare Devil in action.

PS how many ppl will be wearing all red? lol

Guild Leader of Rebel Dps [ReD]
~Glitch

in Thief

Posted by: Zera.8907

Zera.8907

I was ready to go ham on MGS5 on the weekend of the 4th…….those plans have changed. kitten you Anet, HoT preorder confirmed!

Blackgate: Zera Mithrandir- Reaper| Zera Targaryen-Mes|Zera Naharis – Ranger|

in Thief

PopeUrban.2578

@Treeoflife

As another poster pointed out before, the new heal seems to be intended for use while stealthed, giving you an option other than withdraw that synergizes with the spec.

Either take withdraw for an extra evade, or take the new one for an end refill+heal in stealth, allowing you to use a short stealth (like blinding powder, a combo on a non-staff set, or stealth from trap runes) to heal/condi clear without having to take SA and wait, basically letting you recharge your main defense (endurance) and heal all at one time and be set up to jump back in the fight, sort of how HiS on stealth builds lets you heal and activate your main defense (stealth) and be prepared to jump back in.

The extra HP on full end is likely there to make it more useful when using it in a longer stealth.