[F2] button for Stolen Item skill usage

in Thief

Posted by: Karl McLain

Karl McLain

Game Designer

Next

Hey all,
A heads up: we’re adding an F2 button for the items that you (thieves) steal from enemies.
With the way that stolen items exist, it’s not always the best option to use your stolen item instantly, but often you have to dump it in order to gain access to Steal again. As a quality-of-life change, you’ll now steal from an enemy and see the stolen item in the F2 slot, while F1 will show Steal and its current cooldown. If you steal again without using the stolen item, it will be replaced/overwritten by the new one.
We weren’t able to show this on the core specialization livestream, but wanted to pass the message on so that it’s not just a bomb drop when the core specialization changes happen (when they’re ready).

Cheers,
-Karl

in Thief

Posted by: TehHobNob.4687

TehHobNob.4687

Nice! thank you Karl.

Pancakes
Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

Great QoL change – thanks a bunch!

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Ludovicus.7980

Ludovicus.7980

I just got my thief to lvl 80 and you’re improving my QoL already

The glory of my ancestors shall be restored.

in Thief

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

Asked for ages ago and it has been delivered. Thank you so much!

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

in Thief

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Awesome, thanks Karl! Thanks for the change, but more importantly, thanks for stopping by the forum to keep us in the loop! I know you get a lot of hate from knee-jerk rage posts anytime anything changes, but for the rest of us, we really appreciate being kept in the loop with upcoming changes, even if they aren’t completely finalized.

Also, (pure speculation incoming) I have a feeling that this isn’t just a QoL change. I’m guessing that this is also related to upcoming HoT changes. =P

in Thief

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Why not going one step forward and bringing back the pockets?

F1 : Steal
F2-F4 (F5 traited) are pockets.

And when you steal something, it goes to the first empty pocket. And when you use anything in a pocket, so you can’t get all them filled then spam, they all share a cooldown every time one is used.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Thanks for the notification, and no matter what way this is looked at, it is an improvement, and it’s much appreciated. Glad we at least got a little info today about what’s coming next! The communication means a lot.

That said, I must ask: Does the F2 ability take on the most recent stolen item after each steal is used, over-writing any previous stolen bundles in the F2 slot, or does the initially-stolen F2 bundle carry over from multiple targets/multiple steal attempts?

in Thief

Posted by: Andlat Helsonr.1284

Andlat Helsonr.1284

Is it possible to do something similar with ranger porcine item skills? Put them in some sort of “f” slot so that you do not have to go ahead and physically pick the item up? Just a thought.

in Thief

Posted by: Faux.1937

Faux.1937

WOHOO!

And (I thought I read) we will be able to use stolen skills 2 times, This F1/F2 QoL will be VERY wonderful

SAB or RIOT

in Thief

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

Hey all,
A heads up: we’re adding an F2 button for the items that you (thieves) steal from enemies.
With the way that stolen items exist, it’s not always the best option to use your stolen item instantly, but often you have to dump it in order to gain access to Steal again. As a quality-of-life change, you’ll now steal from an enemy and see the stolen item in the F2 slot, while F1 will show Steal and its current cooldown. If you steal again without using the stolen item, it will be replaced/overwritten by the new one.
We weren’t able to show this on the core specialization livestream, but wanted to pass the message on so that it’s not just a bomb drop when the core specialization changes happen (when they’re ready).

Cheers,
-Karl

Great change, I think I suggested this about a year ago, or maybe I just thought of it but didn’t write a post, I don’t remember, but anyway glad to see its coming.

P.S I’m excited to have an extra button to push on my Power DD thief, seeing as for nearly 3 years now I’ve not used skill 3 (Deathblossom), just a little hint for you Karl :P

(edited by Vavume.8065)

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Wow.

That’s actually a nice change. Slightly surprised to be honest.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: OIIIIIO.7825

OIIIIIO.7825

#BeleiveInKarl

Great news! Keep up the good work Broseph!

A victor gives no quarter when the victor shows no clemency or mercy
and refuses to spare the life in return for the surrender at discretion (unconditional surrender)
of a vanquished opponent.

in Thief

Posted by: wolfer.7945

wolfer.7945

Love the change. Its minor, but makes a huge change.

(any idea on how long tell it gets put in? oh i cant wait… plz hurry. we #BeleiveInKarl )

in Thief

Posted by: ImNotWearingPants.2681

ImNotWearingPants.2681

Yes! I love you!

in Thief

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

woah can’t believe it is happening…/tear
been suggested so many times~
ty~

now to fix LR……<_<… maybe in 2-3 years eh?

on second thought, i wonder how many nerfs will be implemented to makeup for this massive QoL change… because you know, we can’t have nice things~

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

(edited by Cynz.9437)

in Thief

Posted by: Chaos.8253

Chaos.8253

ok great now add F2 so Necro can control their stupid pets kitten .

in Thief

Posted by: Impact.2780

Impact.2780

Awesome, and thanks for letting us know!

I assume we won’t be able to save up our stolen skills, and stealing when there is still a stolen item in the F2 slot will overwrite that skill instead of adding it to a successive slot. I was hoping for something like that. Still, a very welcomed change!

EU | Ímpáct / Impact Warlock / Impact Illusions
http://www.twitch.tv/impact2780

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

It might be a coincidence though… But nonetheless a good one.

Also slightly bit worried that they’re going to do something horrible at the same time… remember that stealth bug?

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

(edited by Zero Day.2594)

in Thief

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

I assume we won’t be able to save up our stolen skills, and stealing when there is still a stolen item in the F2 slot will overwrite that skill instead of adding it to a successive slot. I was hoping for something like that. Still, a very welcomed change!

You now can see a timer on your steal when you still hold a stolen item, that’s why there’s 2 slots.

in Thief

Posted by: lighter.2708

lighter.2708

you can also use steal now even if you have a bundle which before may cause reveal for using it

in Thief

Posted by: darkaheart.4265

darkaheart.4265

this is great! im new to thief and i was wondering why i always had to use my stolen item in order to gain access to steal again. I just hope this is release before HoT but i guess not.

either way its pretty good news

i7 3770k @ 4.5 ghz|Z77X-UD5H Motherboard|16GB @ 1600Mhz|GTX 1080|Corsair AX750 PSU|Windows 10 Home

in Thief

Posted by: Nurgles Socks.2496

Nurgles Socks.2496

nice, that’s actually pretty cool.

Vapour Snake – TEEF – GODS – RoF EU

in Thief

Posted by: Tera GX.8149

Tera GX.8149

I like this, but with Thief main and Necro secondary, I’ve always been well off with Profession Ability 1 on my Mouse 4 (thumb) button. Guess I have a new excuse to get a better mouse.

Tera Xenphos of Fort Aspenwood (guildless, deliberately)

in Thief

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

Yay! Thanks Karl!

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

in Thief

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

It’s not a QoL change, but somewhat a buff to steal in general.
Not like it’s not powerful enough already -3-.
Argh, thief will be even harder to deal with than before.

in Thief

Posted by: FalconBeta.9185

FalconBeta.9185

If you steal again without using the stolen item, it will be replaced/overwritten by the new one.

If the item gets overwritten, then having an F2 slot won’t make that much of a difference.
In most cases, Thieves are going to end up still using their stolen item prematurely to get the most out of their skills since it will be replaced otherwise.

I feel like allowing thieves to hold on to their stolen item and not having steal replace it would create more play. That way stolen skills can be saved on the F2 slot for the perfect time, and steal can be used freely, since the skill (especially with traits) is highly multipurposed aside from the stolen items it currently provides.

in Thief

Posted by: Vakrir.4829

Vakrir.4829

If you steal again without using the stolen item, it will be replaced/overwritten by the new one.

If the item gets overwritten, then having an F2 slot won’t make that much of a difference.
In most cases, Thieves are going to end up still using their stolen item prematurely to get the most out of their skills since it will be replaced otherwise.

I feel like allowing thieves to hold on to their stolen item and not having steal replace it would create more play. That way stolen skills can be saved on the F2 slot for the perfect time, and steal can be used freely, since the skill (especially with traits) is highly multipurposed aside from the stolen items it currently provides.

The point is that sometimes you want to steal again instead of using your item, and without this new f2 change you’d need to use the item before you could steal again. For example when running thrill of the crime you’re primarily using steal to proc fury. With the new change you can keep spamming steal to stack fury instead of needing to use whatever dumb item you just stole (sometimes you steal things that strip defiance, so it forces you to either stop stealing, possibly mess up defiance stacking, or get away from the boss to use the item).

in Thief

Aomine.5012

Yep, probably a PVE folks who always just use F1 right away cuz in PVE it’s somewhat useless.

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

Thanks Karl! Does this mean that thief is getting its preview soon?

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Oslaf Beinir.5842

Oslaf Beinir.5842

Good stuff, Karl.

Thanks!

Get In The Van Yo[PR] -Play on Far Shiverpeaks/Gunner’s Hold/Vabbi

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

in Thief

Posted by: Nevaahe.6308

Nevaahe.6308

Nice change, thank you.

in Thief

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

And when you steal something, it goes to the first empty pocket. And when you use anything in a pocket, so you can’t get all them filled then spam, they all share a cooldown every time one is used.

Now now, that’s pushing it!

Great suggestion though!

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in Thief

Aomine.5012

Now now, that’s pushing it!

Great suggestion though!

If they make it like that, then nerf all steal skills by 70% in terms of effect.

in Thief

Posted by: The Toy Soldier.5031

The Toy Soldier.5031

This is awesome!
Tfw you want to burst with steal, but you got that useless engi goo, that feel is gone now!

in Thief

Posted by: Zoke.2147

Zoke.2147

Can necro get the same treatment for Death Shroud? It’d be nice to not accidentaly flash death shroud when you drop a few frames and get ancy, just a thought.

in Thief

Posted by: Impact.2780

Impact.2780

You now can see a timer on your steal when you still hold a stolen item, that’s why there’s 2 slots.

I would reply properly, but I have no idea why you quoted me before saying that.

EU | Ímpáct / Impact Warlock / Impact Illusions
http://www.twitch.tv/impact2780

in Thief

Posted by: Khenzy.9348

Khenzy.9348

Let’s say you steal. You get your stolen item on the new F2. You wait for the steal CD to finish without using your previously stolen item (now F2). Now, you steal again, but your steal misses (got blocked, evaded, blinded, etc.), now I ask you: Will that stolen item you didn’t use, disappear?

in Thief

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

Let’s say you steal. You get your stolen item on the new F2. You wait for the steal CD to finish without using your previously stolen item (now F2). Now, you steal again, but your steal misses (got blocked, evaded, blinded, etc.), now I ask you: Will that stolen item you didn’t use, disappear?

When steal misses you do not get an item, so following logic there is nothing to overwrite the old one you have, so my guess is that you will still keep the old stolen item.

in Thief

Posted by: EremiteAngel.9765

EremiteAngel.9765

this isn’t just a qol…its a buff

Scourge Demo Weekend Roaming Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsby6rYkxS8

in Thief

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

Aye, it is a buff, but it is a buff in that it gives the player more options.

As long as they make any needed adjustments (and they’re adjusting tons with the upcoming changes), it should not be a problem.

I’m a fan of giving players more good options. Good job, ArenaNet.

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

in Thief

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

I would reply properly, but I have no idea why you quoted me before saying that.

Maybe I got you wrong but it sounded to me as if you were disappointed that there will be 2 buttons now for steal. =)

This is awesome!
Tfw you want to burst with steal, but you got that useless engi goo, that feel is gone now!

Try throw + heartseeker or daggerstorm (it’s far from useless).

in Thief

Posted by: AegisRunestone.8672

AegisRunestone.8672

I like the sound of this! It sounds very useful. Off-topic: Is the Stealth on Steal trait going to be fixed?

in Thief

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Fantastic QoL improvement!

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Thief

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

Twelve second fears with double skull!

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

in Thief

Posted by: Lithril Ashwalker.6230

Lithril Ashwalker.6230

QoL Idea: First fix the bug where there is no need to jump yet the NO LINE OF SIGHT is still interfering with a small hill that i can already walk over preventing shadowstep.

THE BIG IDEA: Add Shadow Trap timer until it goes on recharge after 45 seconds with a range indicator. without the line of sight bug for shadowsteps being fixed we wont use this skill. You know how Shadow Step has a timer until it disappears preventing you from using Shadow Return? Well We would like that for Shadow Trap, it IS a stunbreak after all. Would appreciate a response Karl McLain

(edited by Lithril Ashwalker.6230)

in Thief

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

You could already do this. It’ll just be easier to manage as you’ll be able to see the cooldown on steal while you hold on to the first skull :-)

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

in Thief

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

This is a great change. Thanks for the heads up, Karl!

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in Thief

Posted by: derekgrant.6504

derekgrant.6504

I like this, but with Thief main and Necro secondary, I’ve always been well off with Profession Ability 1 on my Mouse 4 (thumb) button. Guess I have a new excuse to get a better mouse.

F1 = Steal. Alt + F1 = F2 bind.

in Thief

Aomine.5012

You could already do this. It’ll just be easier to manage as you’ll be able to see the cooldown on steal while you hold on to the first skull :-)

The difference is now you can pre-cast your skull, and then press f1 midway during the cast, to have a 100% reliable fear landing + daze + poison + mug steal. If you time it right, you probably can get another new item right after your steal.
It old days you HAVE to get close to target to cast that extremely telegraphic skull.

That’s why I said this is not a QoL but a buff.