How Mesmers Feel About Thieves

in Thief

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

Sup guys!

A couple weeks ago I had asked you guys of your opinions on Mesmer. Plenty of people from both PvP and WvW chimed in with some awesome feedback, so I flipped the question the other way around for Mesmer. I figured ya’ll may be interested to see what we think of you.

How Mesmer Feel About Thieves.. And Everyone else!

TL:DR – We hate you guys. =P

in Thief

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

Fantazimz ohpee.

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

Thief got quite a few votes for both “having as a duo partner” and “dislike fighting against.”

Interesting split there.

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Simon.3794

Simon.3794

mes thief combo is strong and thief kill mes easy.

in Thief

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

Meh..I get the feeling that thieves in general, are a little more ‘humble’ than mesmers. Usually. Not always. Just usually.

Mesmers hate thieves. It’s justified hate, it’s understandable hate, but it’s uneducated hate. I play both mesmer and thief, and I’ve see how they interact and counter each other. But if I try to defend a thief from mesmer, I know it’ll fall on deaf ears.

What counters a mesmer? Nothing but thief. What counters a thief? Everything but mesmer.

in Thief

Posted by: apocom.3172

apocom.3172

I have only read the first page and was disappointed. Expected more qq.

If you guys wanna know what a hardcounter is, play a d/p thief against a mediguard.

in Thief

Posted by: Nephrite.6954

Nephrite.6954

Thieves have it hard man… They need to counter something in order to sustain self worth :’(

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

It seems to me that Mesmers are more opinionated than Thieves, I mean just look at how long the replies compare to the replies from Thieves. lol.

It was a fun read.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Thief

Nephrite.6954

I have only read the first page and was disappointed. Expected more qq.

If you guys wanna know what a hardcounter is, play a d/p thief against a mediguard.

I have only beaten a medi guard once in a 1v1 duel ONCE!!! It wasn’t easy… I had only 1.5k hp when he was down lol and trust me he was experienced… Was on my d/p set utilising SA in a structured friendly match… Almost kitten my pants fighting him. A good GS scepter guard he is.

in Thief

Posted by: Dirven.3021

Dirven.3021

This comes to me as quite a surprise, as a person who mains a mesmer and has never lost to a thief I don’t understand why mesmers would hate on this kind of an easy kill (warrior is definitely the easiest and probably every mesmer would agree with that). Thought I understand if they’d hate thieves for their easy access of leaving a fight, but focussed on the fighting aspect of both classes I cannot see why thieves would be seen as a threat to mesmers (This is all written from a 1 vs 1 perspective, in a 1 vs 2 or 2 vs 2 so many other aspects have to be taken into account that it pretty much doesn’t come down to mesmer vs thief, but more like which partner the thief has and which build that partner has etc etc.)

I guess in the end it all comes down to how experienced one is when it comes to their own class + predicting enemy movement. Obviously knowing your own class isn’t enough, many people forget to being able to predict your enemy’s movement is equally as important. For me I find it insanely easy to predict thief movement which is probably why I pretty much always block/dodge backstabs and steals.

So what I’m trying to say is, these classes don’t counter eachother (I always say that classes don’t counter eachother, only builds) and that it all boils down to how experienced the player is. Hate shouldn’t be directed at the class but more at how ‘bad’ you yourself are.

in Thief

Arikyali.5804

So what I’m trying to say is, these classes don’t counter eachother (I always say that classes don’t counter eachother, only builds) and that it all boils down to how experienced the player is. Hate shouldn’t be directed at the class but more at how ‘bad’ you yourself are.

Can I quote this in reply to every thread that spawns loathing hate for the thief class?

in Thief

Arikyali.5804

LOL? everything counters thief except mesmer? Then you should either stop playing thief or stop spreading lies.

Oh for…jumping the gun here, aren’t you? I’m speaking in general for the casual metas.. I shouldn’t need to explain this in great detail since I assume the average thief understands what I’m alluding to. Yes, every class have their own unique counters. Some stronger than others. Some builds easier to play than others. Win and loss comes from split second decisions, teamwork, team comp, and situational tactics. Thieves are no different. Break it all down, no class is overly more powerful than the next.

Don’t you call me a liar, and don’t you tell me to stop playing thief. If my post accidentally made thieves sound like a broken, helpless class, then for that I apologize – that was not my intent. My intended statement was to claim that an offhand dagger is strongest against multiple targets – which a mesmer has. And a Mesmer’s weakness is to be focused/bursted after escapes are burned – which a thief has ample abilty to pull off.

Wasn’t that obvious?

in Thief

Posted by: Mak.2657

Mak.2657

This comes to me as quite a surprise, as a person who mains a mesmer and has never lost to a thief I don’t understand why mesmers would hate on this kind of an easy kill

For me I find it insanely easy to predict thief movement which is probably why I pretty much always block/dodge backstabs and steals.

Whut?? :O
Can we see some of your fights from “king of the hill” map (at eu prime time) as ’shatter (standard mesmer build for tpvp) against standard sw\d or even d\p thief (standard thief builds for tpvp)?

in Thief

Posted by: Warshade.2984

Warshade.2984

This comes to me as quite a surprise, as a person who mains a mesmer and has never lost to a thief I don’t understand why mesmers would hate on this kind of an easy kill

For me I find it insanely easy to predict thief movement which is probably why I pretty much always block/dodge backstabs and steals.

Whut?? :O
Can we see some of your fights from “king of the hill” map (at eu prime time) as ’shatter (standard mesmer build for tpvp) against standard sw\d or even d\p thief (standard thief builds for tpvp)?

I’d be interested in seeing that – make it happen!

in Thief

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

The biggest kitten flipping hard counter in this entire kitten game, is S/d Thief vs. Mesmer. Everyone knows it but none of the thieves think it’s true. Every single tournament when a thief goes into a mesmer first thing the kitten shoutcaster says “mesmer at a huge disadvantage in this fight”

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in Thief

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

The biggest kitten flipping hard counter in this entire kitten game, is S/d Thief vs. Mesmer. Everyone knows it but none of the thieves think it’s true. Every single tournament when a thief goes into a mesmer first thing the kitten shoutcaster says “mesmer at a huge disadvantage in this fight”

The biggest hardcounter in this game is a goodplayer using a meta build vs a bad player using nothing. Just saying.

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

in Thief

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

The biggest hardcounter in this game is a goodplayer using a meta build vs a bad player using nothing. Just saying.

I’m not referencing that. A good mesmer destroys a bad thief anyday. However a mesmer and a thief of equal skill facing each other using meta builds puts the thief at a guaranteed advantage. So yeah, just no.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in Thief

Arikyali.5804

I’m not referencing that. A good mesmer destroys a bad thief anyday. However a mesmer and a thief of equal skill facing each other using meta builds puts the thief at a guaranteed advantage. So yeah, just no.

I must disagree there. There are builds that can counter a thief, and they should be meta. I’ve been roaming as a mesmer with a build that is sort of a hybrid of two metas, and let me tell you, it is beautiful. It will eat up anything it comes across, especially glass thieves.

…Ironically, something that counters it pretty well is a shatter build…

in Thief

Posted by: Ivonbeton.6814

Ivonbeton.6814

Meh..I get the feeling that thieves in general, are a little more ‘humble’ than mesmers. Usually. Not always. Just usually.

Mesmers hate thieves. It’s justified hate, it’s understandable hate, but it’s uneducated hate. I play both mesmer and thief, and I’ve see how they interact and counter each other. But if I try to defend a thief from mesmer, I know it’ll fall on deaf ears.

What counters a mesmer? Nothing but thief. What counters a thief? Everything but mesmer.

I agree with that sentiment. It’s exactly the reason as to why the thief/mesmer duo is so good. At the same time, I think it’s a pity that Mesmer players get shafted so badly because of how immensly uneven this matchup is, atleast from a PvP perspective and when the Thief is actually good. I think Thief will always have it’s place in PvP or WvW thanks to the stealth mechanic, despite it’s lackluster 1v1 abilities. I’ve always prefered more of a utility and support Thief, so I don’t particularely mind. I’ve barely played this last year, but this power balance hasn’t changed one bit.

in Thief

Nephrite.6954

It’s all about mind games I think when faced against a mesmer. I’ve been gaming for a year now on my thief and have only met 3mesmers that completely out play me cause they don’t give me a chance to touch them. Once they hit, they hit hard. Then again I wasn’t as good as I’m now but I’d say the honestly the thief as an advantage if we stealth enough and apply the right amount of pressure.

in Thief

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

It’s all about mind games I think when faced against a mesmer. I’ve been gaming for a year now on my thief and have only met 3mesmers that completely out play me cause they don’t give me a chance to touch them. Once they hit, they hit hard. Then again I wasn’t as good as I’m now but I’d say the honestly the thief as an advantage if we stealth enough and apply the right amount of pressure.

Most mesmers go into a chicken mode when facing a thief, blow up defensive cooldowns/dodges right when I go into stealth and by 2nd CnD, they have nothing.

Good mesmer plays aggressively and won’t even let me CnD of clones, if he can make me go into chicken mode first, he wins. Met very few of those that don’t lose the fight on the sight of a thief.

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr