How are thieves in PVE and Dungeons?

in Thief

Posted by: WilliCalifornia.1837

WilliCalifornia.1837

My ranger is almost level 80, and I was thinking of leveling a thief next or a mesmer. I’m curious how are they in pve? in terms of leveling, open world roaming, dynamic events, dungeons, lions’s arch attack xD and are they more fun than mesmer?. :p I heard they die alot, and becoming bottom tier like ranger in dungeons?.

in Thief

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

The people you’re listening to are filthy liars who have no idea how to play their class. Thieves are top tier. You can endlessly evade damage with endurance gain from Daggers, Pistol Whip or just using 15 Acro etc, you can blind all trash infinitely with zero effort and you can make things like the Dredge Fractal much shorter for your group by skipping most of it with Stealth. On top of that, you have the best potential DPS next to Ele, and the highest single-target DPS for bosses. Thief is GODLY for PvE.

It’s also insanely fun if you like big numbers and active playstyles, which I do.

Not to say that we replace Warriors. Speedruns require a Warrior, but not for DPS. Just the banners. We exist alongside as the big guns.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

(edited by Auesis.7301)

in Thief

Posted by: Dakota.4591

Dakota.4591

Trouble with thieves is so many go full glass-cannon and don’t have the skill to keep from dying. This gives the good ones a bad name. It’s certainly one of the tougher classes to play effectively.

in Thief

Posted by: Magische Boek.2530

Magische Boek.2530

thieves are awesome in dungeons. before this LA patch i ran AC, SE, CoF, CoE. all paths every day. before that i did the same with warrior but i feel thief is so much better. sure warrior 100b does alot of damage, but not as much as pistol whip if you keep spamming it over and over and over. you do want some people with you who buff your damage, warriors with their banners and ele for some might stacks. as far as the LA patch, pistol pistol signet of malice with bouncing bullets trait and your all good. you will tag all mobs by focusing on the champs :p

I’m not arguing!
I’m simply explaining why I’m right.

in Thief

Posted by: aLovedhater.4096

aLovedhater.4096

Thieves do fine in dungeons and pve, just go full glass, signet of malice, S/P, and spam pistol whip til everything dies

in Thief

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Thieves are a bit like Rangers in the way that bad ones will suck really hard while good ones will deliver amazing DPS.

For casual instances Thieves may not be the best class. They aren’t as forgiving as say….Warriors and not as thought-after as Guardians. They don’t have much in the way of group support either unless you count skipping mobs.

Where they do shine however is when it comes to dealing damage because a fully pimped Thief in a fully pimped group will deal some crazy damage. But you only get to see this side of the class if you take your dungeon runs seriously.

in Thief

Posted by: Clumsy.6257

Clumsy.6257

As others have said thieves are top tier in dungeons. Most people complain that thief is squishy and lacks survivability. But with the meta team composition of 2 thieves and 2 elementalists survivability becomes irrelevant because most bosses die before they can get their first attack in. And even without insta-killing bosses thief has incredible amounts of survivability compared to elementalists.

(edited by Clumsy.6257)

in Thief

Posted by: Dempsey.8760

Dempsey.8760

But with the meta team composition of 2 thieves and 2 elementalists

Not everything Anierna says is correct.

in Thief

Clumsy.6257

I knew 2 thieves and 2 eles were the best damage long before I ever met anierna.

in Thief

Posted by: Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

When you say its the meta team composition, people might be fooled and actually believe it.

Death and Taxes [DnT]
http://www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt
DnT is Recruiting – http://www.dtguilds.com/

in Thief

Posted by: hendo.1940

hendo.1940

I knew 2 thieves and 2 eles were the best damage long before I ever met anierna.

spoiler – not every boss is a slave driver or subject alpha punching bag

try 2 thief 2 ele on ginva, mossman or any other not-a-punching-bag boss

if it was so meta, I want to see anierna get a team and set records with it.

Rezardi – [DnT]
Game over, yo.

in Thief

Clumsy.6257

When you say its the meta team composition, people might be fooled and actually believe it.

If by meta you mean the fastest, then yes it is. The speed you get from stacking warriors and guardians isn’t acceptable by my standards, however I’m not sure about yours.

@hendo Notice i clearly said dungeons in my original post. I didn’t mention fractals. And yes all bosses in regular dungeons are easily pulled and melted in seconds (there are 2-3 exceptions though).

(edited by Clumsy.6257)

in Thief

Posted by: Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

If by meta you mean the fastest, then yes it is. The speed you get from stacking warriors and guardians isn’t acceptable by my standards, however I’m not sure about yours.

@hendo Notice i clearly said dungeons in my original post. I didn’t mention fractals. And yes all bosses in regular dungeons are easily pulled and melted in seconds (there are 2-3 exceptions though).

Yeah your standards are way higher than mine. To echo Hendo, I can’t wait to see you obliterate all the records on gwscr with your awesome 2 ele 2 thief team composition. Those records are my standard so since yours are way higher it will be no problem.

You guys could start with Arah, if you want my suggestion since those would do the most to make a name for yourself.

Death and Taxes [DnT]
http://www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt
DnT is Recruiting – http://www.dtguilds.com/

in Thief

Posted by: hendo.1940

hendo.1940

If stacking eles and thieves was meta, all of the world records would do it. But… they don’t

And if I recall correctly, HOTW was a dungeon. And if I also recall correctly, the last time you guys tried FGS’ing Ginva you didn’t kill the retaliation totem and suicided yourselves instead.

Rezardi – [DnT]
Game over, yo.

in Thief

Clumsy.6257

If stacking eles and thieves was meta, all of the world records would do it. But… they don’t

And if I recall correctly, HOTW was a dungeon. And if I also recall correctly, the last time you guys tried FGS’ing Ginva you didn’t kill the retaliation totem and suicided yourselves instead.

No we die on Ginva because we try to kill him before the retaliation totem comes back up and unfortunately we haven’t been able to fully down him in that time frame yet.

in Thief

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

As usual the elite speedrunners have said that a class is fine because they are in the current speedrunning meta. For PUG groups, thieves are mid tier. Thief utility and dps is appreciated but heavies provide more for less effort. Poorly played thieves are near the bottom of the pile as they die early and obviously.