How is endgame thief/daredevil?

in Thief

Posted by: Tiggers.3890

Tiggers.3890

I just rolled an asura thief yesterday and it is REALLY fun I’m enjoying the hell out of this class (not looking forward to grind to 80 ugh). I haven’t really seen a lot of thieves or daredevils around though, I would really be a sad panda if that’s because the end game for thieves/daredevil isn’t up to par with other classes… what do you guys think, worth unlocking daredevil (this thing will easily take me 30 hours I don’t have tomes or anything)

in Thief

Posted by: Raizen.7981

Raizen.7981

Bumping for interest. Made an asura thief aswell, facerolling people in sPvP due to the fact that I got insane mobility from DD, 2 hard escapes(stealth), awesome burst(playing P/P). I don’t get the thief QQ that’s been going on lately

in Thief

Posted by: Nocta.5274

Nocta.5274

Bumping for interest. Made an asura thief aswell, facerolling people in sPvP due to the fact that I got insane mobility from DD, 2 hard escapes(stealth), awesome burst(playing P/P). I don’t get the thief QQ that’s been going on lately

If you’re doing very well with D/D + P/P in sPvP, I think it’s just you being placed in a bad MMR. Sorry for what that imply.

Characters :
Nooctae ( Thief ) / Encelya ( Engineer ) / Jane Crimson ( Elementalist ) / Kowywr ( Revenant )
Europe, Vizunah.

in Thief

Posted by: Raizen.7981

Raizen.7981

If you’re doing very well with D/D + P/P in sPvP, I think it’s just you being placed in a bad MMR. Sorry for what that imply.

I’m rank 9, so I guess you’re right. But I enjoy my profession, how come it fails hard against better people?

in Thief

Posted by: lighter.2708

lighter.2708

D/P thief top tier as always since the beginning of the time in pvp..

PvE, just go look at the DPS chart..

in Thief

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

D/D = Dagger/Dagger
DD = Daredevil

(Yes, my OCD…)

Edit: Anet, please change the name of Daredevil and also of Berzerker (warrior) – nothing good comes out of this.

in Thief

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I’m rank 9, so I guess you’re right. But I enjoy my profession, how come it fails hard against better people?

Anything should fail hard if they’re significantly better than you…which is simply the nature of them being better. If I play a master in chess I’m expecting to fail hard. The problem is when an OP class doesn’t fail hard against a better player simply due to class mechanics.

in Thief

Posted by: METAShift.2913

METAShift.2913

Well, since the expansion I found that the old way of playing thief for me is not that enjoyable anymore, there’s too much random bullkitten AoE damage with DH traps and Chrono wells and whatever else visual clutter gets spammed on the point. I switched to P/P with DrD, DA and Trickery/Acro and it’s super fun. DrD with the dash dodge gives you some mobility that P/P usually lacks and with signet of agility you have so many dodges it’s ridiculous. It may not be meta, but 99% of the players don’t play in organized teams on voice comms like the tournament players do, so the “meta” impact is questionable anyway. Most importantly, it’s really kittening fun and it works well enough for average PvP.

in Thief

Posted by: Tiggers.3890

Tiggers.3890

Lol umm I dont think anyone really answered my question, maybe my question was too broad I’ll clarify:
1. In the setting of PvE, are thieves viable? And by viable I mean I can do high level fractals and no one in the party has a reason to go “oh, thief, kick him he’s playing an underpowered class that’s going to hold us back.”
2. How is daredevil in particular, they look sooooo mobile and fun but are they effective?

in Thief

Posted by: evilapprentice.6379

evilapprentice.6379

Thief is a joke in PvP. It’s currently at the tail end of a loooooooong slide to rock bottom. Anyone saying otherwise is willfully ignorant, or purposefully spreading misinformation.

If you like being unable to fight any other class 1 on 1 while also being a liability in any team fight where you’re not outnumbering your opponents, and instead prefer to teleport around looking for empty spots to sit on for 4-14s at a time, roll thief. If you want to have fun, choose any other class (except warrior, which is also currently struggling)

If you’re a thief and haven’t
pre-ordered HOT at this point,
save yourself the money and don’t bother.

in Thief

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

Lol umm I dont think anyone really answered my question, maybe my question was too broad I’ll clarify:
1. In the setting of PvE, are thieves viable? And by viable I mean I can do high level fractals and no one in the party has a reason to go “oh, thief, kick him he’s playing an underpowered class that’s going to hold us back.”
2. How is daredevil in particular, they look sooooo mobile and fun but are they effective?

I haven’t played Daredevil in Fractals or any challenging instanced PvE content yet, nor have I played it in PvP or WvW, but I am having a blast with it in the HoT zones.

Will it be effective in fractals, etc.? I don’t see why not. While I haven’t done those activities with the DD yet, as a long time thief player I can still see the DD’s potential. It evades like nobody’s business, has leap and whirl finishers on the staff, and has incredible mobility. I even like, and have been exclusively using, the new heal skill (now its cast time is much shorter).

When I tried the DD in the betas I was a little worried about the staff and the heal skill, but after the last changes, and having played with it for a while, I am very pleased with it. For ages I wanted an evasive thief that didn’t rely in stealth to survive, and the DD with staff has given me that. I can see it doing very well in fractals, dungeons and raids, once the player base in general has gotten used to how it works. There will always be stealthy thief players, but for those who want evasion instead of stealth, the DD is very much the spec for you.

As to it doing well, or not, in PvP? Well, a lot of players will tell you DP will always be superior for one reason: Stealth. Stealth is, and always will be, an easy to use defense mechanic that most players struggle to fight against, even with all the extra tools players now have to combat it. But in skilled hands I am confident the staff wielding Daredevil will absolutely kick butt, and I am looking forward to doing a bit of PvP and WvW with it myself, after I have done the HoT story.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

in Thief

Posted by: lighter.2708

lighter.2708

Thief is a joke in PvP. It’s currently at the tail end of a loooooooong slide to rock bottom. Anyone saying otherwise is willfully ignorant, or purposefully spreading misinformation.

If you like being unable to fight any other class 1 on 1 while also being a liability in any team fight where you’re not outnumbering your opponents, and instead prefer to teleport around looking for empty spots to sit on for 4-14s at a time, roll thief. If you want to have fun, choose any other class (except warrior, which is also currently struggling)

yup, thief sucks so much that no top teams in pvp scene take it.

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

“End game” – define that.

sPvP, you’ll be +1’ing (well less than +1), and de-capping.

WvW, you’ll be roaming… :P if you thought WvW had issues with rewards, while roaming you get even less! – Well at least it “fun” for some people.

PvE/raids – not sure where we stand, probably not far away from bottom. Honestly, I’ve finished HoT story, played through all the maps, and within the week I’ve only seen 2-3 thieves on the new maps (not counting the time we cap’ed the GH).

Found on:

http://www.dtguilds.com/forum/m/6563292/viewthread/24767535-dnt-thief-build-for-dungeons-fractals-102815

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Nocta.5274

D/D = Dagger/Dagger
DD = Daredevil

(Yes, my OCD…)

Edit: Anet, please change the name of Daredevil and also of Berzerker (warrior) – nothing good comes out of this.

Oh yeah.. Makes more sense if he’s P/P with daredevil. I’ve seen it work decently.

And yeah, acronym are getting out of control, its really annoying.

Characters :
Nooctae ( Thief ) / Encelya ( Engineer ) / Jane Crimson ( Elementalist ) / Kowywr ( Revenant )
Europe, Vizunah.

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

And yeah, acronym are getting out of control, its really annoying.

Should just be DrD for D a r e D evil. Funny… “DD are evil”.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/revenant/Thief-essence-sap-steal-broken

Lol… Apparently we’re giving rev’s a hard time… lol… oh man… people… never cease to amaze me.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

(edited by Zero Day.2594)

in Thief

Nocta.5274

^

It’s pretty funny, but their post has a point. Essence sap is insanely overtuned right now for a steal ability. 3k to 4k damage and 4sec slow lol

Characters :
Europe, Vizunah.