I'm done playing thief. How about you?

in Thief

Posted by: Dragonax.6487

Dragonax.6487

Let say if a noob thief vs a noob of other classes. Noob thief has 99% chance of winning just for the stealth button.

If a noob thief vs an experienced other classes who know how to deal with them, noob thief has 99% chance of losing because once their stealth is countered, they are like a naked woman in a life time prison for males.

But if a skilled thief vs a skilled other classes, skilled thief has much higher chance to win… again because now they know how to use stealth better + know how to counter stealth counters, and there was no hard counter to stealth so suck it.

I cant agree more with the first 2 parts.

However i dont see where you base the third one.

1) 2 skilled players fight one hell of a battle and thief happens to win. Does that mean it was the class that won and not the player? How do you measure that? You assume both have equal skills? In the end both are human and one is bound to make a mistake.

2) A skilled thief can excape easily even vs other skilled players i can give you that. But thats quite different from winning. Running away is the same as losing.

Edit: 3 ) You only need basic knoledge to counter noob thieves which doesnt mean the class has a low skill cap, it might be easy to start with but in order to truly excel at it you need a lot of time and practice. And you also need to know the other classes and builds they are using which is easier vs a thief that only has 2 viable builds atm.

At your 2 point, u already answered for the winning formula of most “skilled” thief. Low health => running away easily => come back at at full health => reset the fight => loop the process until target die or run away = declare victory no matter what.

in Thief

Posted by: Eodwen.2613

Eodwen.2613

Let say if a noob thief vs a noob of other classes. Noob thief has 99% chance of winning just for the stealth button.

If a noob thief vs an experienced other classes who know how to deal with them, noob thief has 99% chance of losing because once their stealth is countered, they are like a naked woman in a life time prison for males.

But if a skilled thief vs a skilled other classes, skilled thief has much higher chance to win… again because now they know how to use stealth better + know how to counter stealth counters, and there was no hard counter to stealth so suck it.

A couple of questions to you kind sir.

What’s the hardcounter to healing signet and adrenal health?
What’s the hardcounter to CC when you don’t have access to many dodges nor stability?
What’s the hardcounter to minions, clones and spirits sucking up your dmg ?
What’s the hardcounter to having a lot of, in many cases unavoidable conditions on you when your condition removal and health pool is lowest in the game?

1. Condition build with poison , or 16k back stab, anyway Tanky regen warrior deals no damage so unless you suck kitten u should come out winning after a long fight no matter what
2.Blind is the best counter for soft CC, hard CC doesn’t last long
3. Stealth, and u have plenty of time to find the true target
4. There is no unavoidable condition, if it’s target surrounded conditions, again stealth and wait for it to cool off. Low health ? Stealth and reset the fight at will.

I beg to differ…
1) condition build with poison unless you d/d deathblossom spammer you cant keep poison up through condition removals and Db spam is easily seen through. Backstab for 16k ? and the war sneazes on you and you go downed state.
2) hard cc doesnt last long but neither does thief.
3) I disagree terrain usage blocking los and high mobility from mesmer make it harder than it sounds, all the while phantasm attacks follow up on you through stealth and when you come out of it.
4) Thats mostly true since oppoent is suffering from cds more than you but not entirely accurate as he has seen your rotation.

in Thief

Posted by: Ghostwolf.9863

Ghostwolf.9863

What’s the hardcounter to CC when you don’t have access to many dodges nor stability?
What’s the hardcounter to having a lot of, in many cases unavoidable conditions on you when your condition removal and health pool is lowest in the game?

1. Condition build with poison , or 16k back stab, anyway Tanky regen warrior deals no damage so unless you suck kitten u should come out winning after a long fight no matter what
4. There is no unavoidable condition, if it’s target surrounded conditions, again stealth and wait for it to cool off. Low health ? Stealth and reset the fight at will.

1. 16k backstab with a condition build? Tanky regen warrior deals no damage, whatabout on a thief who deals 16k backstab on a tanky regen warrior? Not even possible fyi.
2. Hard CC doesn’t last for long? I remember being Stuned, Immobilized and knockdown for up to 10 seconds against warriors, and thats’ when I’ve utilized Infiltrators Strike and shadow return to escape damage, and also dodged a lot of the CC.
3. We need to strike from behind, if the pet-whatever stands on top of his pet, the pet sucks up all damage, since the pets in many cases have bigger dmg zone than the players, and not to forget they suck up AoE dmg, and many times makes the player take 0 dmg.
4. It’s unavoidable if you want to deal dmg to the player, otherwise true, you can stay away from the player as well. Which means you don’t have a higher chance to win.

Thief, Engineer, Mesmer – Seafarer’s Rest (EU)

in Thief

Eodwen.2613

I still dont get how this proves a low skill cap for theif. Since its the only thing i disagree with you on.

EDit:

On the whole escape thing (thief got it easy part) if we are talking ooc reseting fight then warrior engi and ele even mes have equal escape capabilities or more. Id go so far to say thief would be unable to escape them if not for stealth even.

If you are talking about reseting fight without healing and ooc by stealth stacking then it should be considered the same fight. Mind games are part of the class design as is with mesmer. Mind games imo atleast focus more on player skill than class capabilities imo so in a way it promotes a high skill cap for the class that employs it. Hence the simplistic approach theif has.

(edited by Eodwen.2613)

in Thief

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

Be awesome, play Engineer.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

in Thief

Dragonax.6487

1. 16k backstab with a condition build? Tanky regen warrior deals no damage, whatabout on a thief who deals 16k backstab on a tanky regen warrior? Not even possible fyi.
2. Hard CC doesn’t last for long? I remember being Stuned, Immobilized and knockdown for up to 10 seconds against warriors, and thats’ when I’ve utilized Infiltrators Strike and shadow return to escape damage, and also dodged a lot of the CC.
3. We need to strike from behind, if the pet-whatever stands on top of his pet, the pet sucks up all damage, since the pets in many cases have bigger dmg zone than the players, and not to forget they suck up AoE dmg, and many times makes the player take 0 dmg.
4. It’s unavoidable if you want to deal dmg to the player, otherwise true, you can stay away from the player as well. Which means you don’t have a higher chance to win.

1. Did I not say “or” ? and may be not 16k but u can always have far more damage than he can regen. I’ve seen a thief took down a 30k hp 3.5 k armor regen warrior in15 seconds. And I’m quite sure you also able to do it unless you are crap.
2. Immobilize is not hard CC, apply blind and you are safe the whole duration. The longest hard cc a warrior can offer is 3 sec stun from skull crack, and that’s the only hard cc you really need to worry about.
3. At least you have the option to strike them whenever you want, all they can do is hiding behind their minions and wait to get hit
4. All "unavoidable " conditions have long cool down, your stealth is plenty and can even reach perma.

in Thief

Dragonax.6487

I still dont get how this proves a low skill cap for theif. Since its the only thing i disagree with you on.

EDit:

On the whole escape thing (thief got it easy part) if we are talking ooc reseting fight then warrior engi and ele even mes have equal escape capabilities or more. Id go so far to say thief would be unable to escape them if not for stealth even.

If you are talking about reseting fight without healing and ooc by stealth stacking then it should be considered the same fight. Mind games are part of the class design as is with mesmer. Mind games imo atleast focus more on player skill than class capabilities imo so in a way it promotes a high skill cap for the class that employs it. Hence the simplistic approach theif has.

Unless warrior and ele run high mobile builds, their escapability are laughable, but this is true for any high mobile build. And by using those builds, they would have to sacrifice damage or CC, which make your life even easier.

With thief however, exactly like you said, they don’t need to run away, just stealth stacking and lmao at the clueless fools why waiting for your heal to get back up.

in Thief

Eodwen.2613

What you say is mostly true but not entirely and we can talk for hours and still we wont even scratch the surface on the topic and it still wont prove a low skill cap.

Im for playing other classes and i often found out how difficult they are after i played em for quite a while. A class always seems easier when a skiled player is behind it i guess. I think you should try playing thief for a while and meet some players with relevant skill level maybe you ll reconsider. Stating thief is low skill cap class doesnt bother me personally since im playing thief in pve mostly and in pve you dont need a brain anyway. But there are some exceptional thief players out there and its quite unfair to summarise everything on a low skill cap statement.

(edited by Eodwen.2613)

in Thief

Posted by: Hype.8032

Hype.8032

I just got my highest solo queue rank ever post patch while using my thief. I even had to walk all over a Champion Shadow to get there. None of the other professions give me lasting enjoyment so I’ll just leave gw2 if thief stops being fun for me.

That being said, I think mesmer’s are the most similar to thieves but they’re less visceral and the lack of chase ability really bothers me sometimes. I really like how engineers work but I prefer spending my time focusing on positioning rather than managing tons of cooldowns (my hands can’t take it anymore) so I just can’t get into them either.

Tualek & F I Monk / Thief —-- Tk E / Engineer
Highest Solo Queue Rank Achieved: 40
Highest solo-join Team Queue Rank Achieved: 198

in Thief

Posted by: Sanduskel.1850

Sanduskel.1850

I continue to enjoy my thief. I don’t think leaving the class makes a ton of sense for most of us.

OP’d thief, lol

in Thief

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

A few days ago I placed my thief on the shelf and only use him for gathering and crafting. I am still looking for a new main and even though I like guards and warriors for their low skill ceiling I don’t want either of them MAINLY because every thief friend I know of switched to one of them. I like to keep myself away from the general public so I guess war and guards are out. I still have an ele and mesmer to work on. Whatever…

If you are suffering from a severe case of the ****its, which class do YOU plan on switching to once you retire your thief?

I tried switching to Warrior a lot of times, but always came back to Thief. Thief is just too fun and isn’t easymode like Guards and Wars.

in Thief

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

It saddens me that we are indeed a dying class. With each update you cannot blame them, it doesn’t make sense why I should have to cross my fingers not for some amazing new skill or trait, but to not get nerfed even more. This is deep but, I imagine us thieves around a camp fire, a large camp fire, at least, it started out as large and it is now dwindling. One by one, one thief gets up and walks away into the darkness followed by another. Most leave, a couple stay behind. Goodbye Zacchary, I’ll miss your gifs :‘( If you ever decide to come back into the darkness I’ll have your spot warmed up for you

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

in Thief

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

have been playing warrior over a year, a week ago I made a thief just for pvp… was easiest class I have ever tested… I give hardest to drive -title to engineers ^^

Hotjoin herooooo

Ranger//Necro

in Thief

Sanduskel.1850

i can’t see how we are a dying class. I continue to see plenty of thieves on my server.

OP’d thief, lol

in Thief

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

i can’t see how we are a dying class. I continue to see plenty of thieves on my server.

Ask yourself, there is no way to know unless you ask everyone, but how many consider the thief their main? I could be in my necromancer and someone make the observation that there was a necromancer here so they aren’t the only one, yet I consider myself a thief.

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

in Thief

Sanduskel.1850

well I haven’t seen the proportion of thieves dropping on sor.

OP’d thief, lol

in Thief

Posted by: freelancecoma.8629

freelancecoma.8629

Definitely ele or mesmer for me.

in Thief

Posted by: Mist Pivot.8452

Mist Pivot.8452

Some of you sound like thief is a high skill or brain class, which make me lol. The only thing you ever need to do as thief is mass clicking the stealth button then mass spamming auto attack. That "I have skill " illusion come from so many easy wins by auto attacking nooby players in stealth mode while they could not fight back for there was no hard counter. I suffered a lot from thiefs when I were a WvW noob, but once I figured out how to deal with them, Jesus Christ need to kill hundred crap thiefs to find a decent one. The lowest skill and dumbest class in the game in my opinion.

This guy lmao. Ignorance at its finest. Doesn’t every class spam autoattack? Oh, and if there are 100 crap thieves for one that is decent, doesn’t that correlate with the idea that playing thief at a high level is difficult since there are so few? If you’re fighting inexperienced players the class is forgiving but against hardened players, you have to play near perfect.

EDIT: You’re a warrior. Seriously. /Facepalm

Engineering, brutality, and thievery.
Blackgate since day one.

(edited by Mist Pivot.8452)

in Thief

Posted by: Kenmei.7138

Kenmei.7138

Ignorance have no limits.

But what 90% of warriors can know about skillfull play?

in Thief

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

If you have most classes leveled what difference does it make? Thief simply is not the best class for PvE but in WvW it is the king of roaming. In Spvp it barely has a place outside hot join or good ole SD spam. The only class really reaping the I am good everywhere and can be good at everything is warrior and even that has it’s limits.

For so many people who play all these classes I always tend to wonder if anyone has a clue. I could play D/P all day troll the kitten out of people in WvW get them to rant that thief is OP.

At the same time most of the thieves you see in dungeons are nigh useless. You know what let me rephrase that. On my full zerk guard I will have better up time better sustained more group support and still better range than my thief on its best day (with a guardian!).

We have this idea that a class can not suck in one area and be great in another. So quit the class or stop playing the toon but it really isnt worth a big pity party,“this class is so much better than us so I am quiting!” post.

Want to point out what hurts thief? Then do so. However do not pretend like DP is super balanced or that S/D wasn’t insane til just a patch ago. People over play how strong thief is in WvW but truth is a good thief isn’t dropping to kitten and we all know it.

You can add that to the my necro sucks in PvE but its OK that I condi spam in Spvp, my warrior is completely balanced you guys just suck, and every other post that blows the whole thing out of proportion.

Ask for class balance point out what is wrong but I quit threads are just……smh.

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele

in Thief

Posted by: Zumy.6318

Zumy.6318

Please all line up, so I can kill your warriors with my thief.

That’ll be a little bit harder since we already know what you are capable of.

wat?

Thief | Zumy [Buka]
Legendary counter: Twilight, Bolt, Incinerator, Incinerator Nr. 2, Meteorlogicus, The Dreamer

in Thief

Posted by: Erzian.5218

Erzian.5218

Thief

you don’t have access to many dodges

hehe

in Thief

Posted by: Sketch Eight.9508

Sketch Eight.9508

Hi, ive played a thief from launch nothing else,but after patch i deleted her and rolled a warrior,honestly it is not my cup of tea so tonight im gonna delete warrior and reroll a thief as regarless of what happens i think theyre playstyle suits me.

As for warrioir peeps say theyre easy i die more times on warrior than on thief,, i find it difficult just running in and spamming 1, i preferrefed blossom and caltrops

in Thief

Posted by: animalmom.1062

animalmom.1062

I realize the build may be nerfed but the perplexity thiefsmer build is working very well for me in WvW. I have been P/D for a while and I am now running P/D and P/P.

I beat 9 people in a row Saturday and I have never ever been nearly that good. I feel very strong now and have not felt like that in ages.

Maybe try that?

What makes me the most mad is lack of ascended carrion. When will I ever get that?

in Thief

Posted by: Dynnen.6405

Dynnen.6405

You guys realize that other than the 5-man aoe cap, stealth is one of the most broken mechanics in the game right?

Way to easy to get back into
Don’t lose stealth when you are hit while in stealth
Traits give thieves tons of extra things (boons, condi cleanse, healing, etc)

Are you retiring your thief because the game is so easy that its boring?

in Thief

Posted by: Interceptor.2653

Interceptor.2653

Might as well have a real discussion in the midst of this river of tears.

What makes me the most mad is lack of ascended carrion. When will I ever get that?

This used to make me irritated (and is not strictly true anymore: we have Ascended Carrion weapons now), but then I realized I wouldn’t want to wear mono-Carrion in the first place, so it’s not a big kittening deal.

You have a lot of Vitality to be sure, and strong Condition damage, but Carrion is only secondary Power, and you are lacking some ability to absorb damage over time. I use Soldier’s (aka PVT) for trinkets. It’s primary Power (more than Carrion Ascended would give), still gives Vitality, and has a bit of Toughness to go along with it. I feel like you need more muscle for a Perplexity S/P build than normal, because of Pistol Whip.

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Not quitting just cuz it’s still my favorite playstyle and character. I am getting very very bored though with our very limited pool of builds and weapons. I’m trying to make things more interesting recently by dropping stealth and using nothing but shadowsteps and sword. It has it’s flaws, mainly with cond removal not existing in any of our non shadow arts traits, but it makes me feel closer to GW1 Assassins. RIP Cantha.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Thief

Sanduskel.1850

Still having a blast with my thieves. I don’t understand what all the fuss is about.

OP’d thief, lol

in Thief

Posted by: Coloxeus.3480

Coloxeus.3480

been playing thief for more than 1 year and ya i play thief as main eversince but now i feel like they’re weak. and currently enjoying warrior’s cheese build! awesome 10k -12k hundred blades with fury!

(edited by Coloxeus.3480)

in Thief

Posted by: Coloxeus.3480

Coloxeus.3480

and i luv the effectiveness of mace+GS stunlcok warrior in pvp and the difficulty of gameplay isn’t that hard compare to thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Poxheart.2845

Poxheart.2845

1) Doing more damage than the Warrior’s passive regen. If, as a thief, you have trouble doing that you should reconsider your gear/trait choices.
2) Blinds. If, as a thief, you find yourself short of blinds then you should reconsider your skill/trait choices.
3) Killing them if needs be or being patient with your skill use. If, as a thief, you have trouble doing this you should stop mindless spamming your skills.
4) Stealth, blind, and trait selection. FYI, there are other classes with health pools as low as a thief’s.

Poxheart
Knights of the WhiteWolf

in Thief

Posted by: Imagi.4561

Imagi.4561

He’s done with the class because he’s bad at arguably the highest reward class in the game. No other class yields as much skill ceiling reward as the thief does when you finally learn other classes and know your own capabilities. He’d rather, instead of doing that, continually complain like a little kitten on the boards everyday about everything he doesn’t have. It’s ok, bads will be bads , go roll necro/warrior Zacharry it suits you better.

Is this post just a complaint about other people’s complaints? If so, that seems exceptionally pointless.

Regarding what was actually said, I disagree that Thieves are the highest reward class in the game. I think that title probably belongs to Elementalists or Engineers, since they have a higher skill floor.

I still like my Thief, but I’m enjoying my time spent branching out to different professions. On my Ele, I feel needed in groups because I can give the gift of boons. It seems that anything Thieves can do in a group, someone else can do it better. I’m struggling to really see the point of the class.

#ELEtism
By Ogden’s hammer, what savings!

in Thief

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

Just dropping by to say that:

1. The people who are complaining about thieves being underpowered in this thread were probably never good at the class anyways;

2. The people who are complaining about thieves being either a) too easy to play or b) overpowered don’t understand the math behind this game.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in Thief

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

Just dropping by to say that:

1. The people who are complaining about thieves being underpowered in this thread were probably never good at the class anyways;

2. The people who are complaining about thieves being either a) too easy to play or b) overpowered don’t understand the math behind this game.

You are right on both accounts. Thief might not have been my profession but then again I was too busy theorycrafting to do any personal improvements. Thieves may not be underpowered but they are certainly trash.

in Thief

Posted by: Invizible.2960

Invizible.2960

I’m struggling to really see the point of the class.

Hmm, never really thought about that before

in Thief

Posted by: PolishSausage.1279

PolishSausage.1279

Just play an Engineer instead. More fun, have way more versatility, and have strategies that require more than running like a kitten from anything that so much as looks at you funny.

in Thief

Sanduskel.1850

or play a thief and have fun without relying on permastealth.

OP’d thief, lol

in Thief

Posted by: Nuorus.8415

Nuorus.8415

have been playing warrior over a year, a week ago I made a thief just for pvp… was easiest class I have ever tested… I give hardest to drive -title to engineers ^^

Hotjoin herooooo

Ehh… first of all you are wrong… second of all we did 1vs1 fights in sPvP server so why the hell would one join Hotjoin for 1vs1?

I didn’t provide enough info but yet you made assumption…

Seems like you play against some bad players.

Nope.

Feel free to argue with me. You learn something every time and it develops your personality.

People seems using word “trolling” out of context way too often…

in Thief

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Thief is still my favorite prof. I’ve been messing with some alts and still run Fractals primarily with my Guardian (group already has 1 thief and didn’t have a Guard), but thief is still probably one of the most fun classes to play.

The nerfs sucked, but we’re still doing fine.

in Thief

Sanduskel.1850

He’s done with the class because he’s bad at arguably the highest reward class in the game. No other class yields as much skill ceiling reward as the thief does when you finally learn other classes and know your own capabilities. He’d rather, instead of doing that, continually complain like a little kitten on the boards everyday about everything he doesn’t have. It’s ok, bads will be bads , go roll necro/warrior Zacharry it suits you better.

Is this post just a complaint about other people’s complaints? If so, that seems exceptionally pointless.

Regarding what was actually said, I disagree that Thieves are the highest reward class in the game. I think that title probably belongs to Elementalists or Engineers, since they have a higher skill floor.

I still like my Thief, but I’m enjoying my time spent branching out to different professions. On my Ele, I feel needed in groups because I can give the gift of boons. It seems that anything Thieves can do in a group, someone else can do it better. I’m struggling to really see the point of the class.

wow. really you don’t see the point of the class? it can do plenty of things

A class being able to do “plenty of things” doesn’t give it a purpose, if other classes can perform those functions better—especially in a group setting, where class roles are more sharply defined.

There is no better roamer than a thief. Sorry. Rangers aren’t the best at anything, but people seem to enjoy them. Your purpose is to kill the enemy. Don’t over complicate it.

OP’d thief, lol

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

Warriors kill enemies better and more easily.

in Thief

Imagi.4561

wow. really you don’t see the point of the class? it can do plenty of things

A class being able to do “plenty of things” doesn’t give it a purpose, if other classes can perform those functions better—especially in a group setting, where class roles are more sharply defined.

There is no better roamer than a thief. Sorry. Rangers aren’t the best at anything, but people seem to enjoy them. Your purpose is to kill the enemy. Don’t over complicate it.

Rangers can provide support with spirits and area control with traps.

Please read my previous posts. I’ve put emphasis on group roles and dynamics several times now, and I’m not going to keep repeating myself.

#ELEtism

in Thief

Sanduskel.1850

Groups don’t need back lines disrupted, blinds, distractions etc? No class does those things better.

OP’d thief, lol

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

The point is that is mainly what they are good for. Ganking single targets. Every other part of combat gets done better with other professions.

in Thief

Sanduskel.1850

Well disrupting back lines aren’t just 1v1 fights. Blinds are useful in group fights. Look at ranger aoes. They aren’t that good either. Just because single target dps is the strength of the class doesn’t mean that said class can’t contribute to a group.

OP’d thief, lol

in Thief

Posted by: Karolis.4261

Karolis.4261

I don’t really play class for its performance. I started thief 344 days ago ( /age). Started playing it w/o any information on its performance or culling issues in www. Started out as d/d because …well … it is iconic and looks cool. At that time, even after some nerfs, hidden by culling and players incompetence, d/d thief was a killing machine. Now its at poor state if facing good players. Doesn’t mean that I will reroll to fotm class or even jump into d/p bandwagon. Don’t be a kitten.

PvP hero Valentin in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiYUlhsO_M
cough*keyboardturningclicker*cough

in Thief

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

in wvw the only problem for me as thief as after the patch i only have 2 set to play with
p/d for condition roaming
d/d for dmg roaming or group play (i dont like d/p perma stealth)

s/p nerfed while i loved this set
s/d < d/x set
p/p still not so usable in wvw but still testing it

in Thief

Sanduskel.1850

Enjoying my thief more than ever in wvw, now.

OP’d thief, lol

in Thief

Imagi.4561

Well disrupting back lines aren’t just 1v1 fights. Blinds are useful in group fights. Look at ranger aoes. They aren’t that good either. Just because single target dps is the strength of the class doesn’t mean that said class can’t contribute to a group.

Sometimes I really have to wonder if you read other people’s comments before replying to them.

Never, at any point, have I said Thieves were useless or can’t contribute at all. However, I said that any role a Thief can perform in a group, another class can perform better. Mesmers and Necros can disrupt backlines, and Mesmers and Eles can both make better distractions. Numerous classes can blind.

#ELEtism

(edited by Imagi.4561)

in Thief

Posted by: Youkay.5294

Youkay.5294

I wanted to add my 5 cents to this thread as well.

The sheer number of replies agreeing with OP’s criticism on thieves is very striking. People just have to see a trend and a general unsatisfaction with the profession here.

I have been playing thief, because I love the idea of it. Being sneaky, controlling the fight by mobility and stealth, having burst on demand, and so on. I have changed my build many times and eventually arrived at the P/D condi thief (20/0/0/20/30). In fact, I think my build is quite viable in solo roaming and in team fights. However, I don’t feel needed as a team member at all (except dishing out damage and looking daaaaamn hot!).

I appreciate the immobilise on body shot. It is really very very handy in a lot of situations and I don’t think that it is over-powered.

The other “buff” on venom share had absolutely no impact because
1) venom utilitiy skills are inferior to other utility skills
2) traiting to maximise the utility of venoms leaves us without very essential traits in shadow arts

Finally, there are the nerfs on S/P and S/D and basilisk venom. I don’t see a huge change on D/P, which I played a lot and find boring now. And D/D is as mediocre as ever and doesn’t get fixed for ages.

Even though I love my thief (looks great and the skills have great flair) I have put it aside and started playing with my other characters (mainly ele). I don’t play warrior, because I think it is boring and warrior skills just don’t look fancy…

In summary, I have gradually – over the recent patches – moved away from my thief, until she became completely idle. It’s really sad, because I invested so much energy into that class and that character, but I really don’t have much fun playing it anymore.

I would love to see more traits or skills, that help thieves
- break stuns
- clear conditions
- heal
In general, I would want to have more choice in selecting skills and traits that help the thief to survive (other than stealth).

Also I would like to see venoms reworked. Currently, they are a 4 out of 10, imo.

Finally, I would like to have the opportunity to change my weaponset from time to time and still be viable.

Edit: I wanted to add one last thing: When I’m in a party, be it PvP or dungeons, I get discouraged when there is another thief besides me. That, I think, speaks for itself.

(edited by Youkay.5294)