IMO shadow arts trait line is way op

in Thief

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

30SA is only a must if you want defense/sustain in a fight.

Burst includes no SA whatsoever.

It’s not OP.

When you have easy 10 stack might from this line, yes, it gives you sustain, escape and better burst than DA.

Just check out the meta burst thief builds, it’s a must.

None one is running 25 30 0 0 15 meta burst build anymore in neither pvp nor wvw.

10 stacks of might? Without much power to begin with that extraordinarily weak.

No one’s running 25 30 0 0 15? Caed ran it during the EU vs. NA match…. He’s only one of the top 3 thieves in the game…

You must not pvp much.

10 stacks of might isn’t exactly weak, but you’re right that in the long run it really doesn’t mean anything. Furthermore, 10 stacks of might is actually fairly difficult for us to throw down and then be able to sustain; we can’t just burst the might stacks onto ourselves instantaneously. Also, having played builds that focused around might a lot, I can say that I don’t think I ever got over 12 stacks of might on my thief; most of the time, I had about 6 or 7 on me that I was able to sustain fairly easily. Of course, you can always take Signets of Power, but that means that you have to play a signet build. Either way, SoP’s might lasts only very briefly anyways, so it’s not like it matters that much.

I’m surprised somebody would say that “nobody runs 25/30/0/0/15”; in fact, it’s the most common spec I see nowadays, anywhere; and, of course, Caed does play it. I don’t agree with it from a theoretical point of view (diminishing marginal returns on offensive increases, and a virtually impossible skill level required to play the weaponset with maximum efficiency. Also assumes enemy incompetence and inability to counter bursts, but many top players have learnt how burst works and are able to counter it fairly well, even if it is a harrowing experience), but there’s no doubt that it is one of the, if not the most popular spec, and that there are very good people who play it like Caed.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in Thief

Posted by: lvis.3824

lvis.3824

You do lose so much dmg when you specc x/30/30/x/x instead of eg. 25/30/0/0/15 .
If you really main a thief you should know that !

Also, in any game we saw a thief playing in the last big tourney ( and even the one before ) none of the thiefs ran 30 in SA, most of them ran 0 in SA.

Why ?

Because in a teamfight you have a role, and this is in the most games the DPS role.
Sometimes roamer, where a 0/30/0/30/10 S/Dx2 can rock the house.

But x/30/30/x/x is more for if you like to play hotjoins / soloqueue – where you cannot include your team most of the time.

And the Might in stealth is nothing compared to 10% when target has a condition + either 10% with bundle, or perm 5% dagger dmg.

The might you get brings you on par with the 250base attackpower you get from DA.
And you won’t be able to hold the mightstacks that high normally.

in Thief

Posted by: Asomal.6453

Asomal.6453

The only thing wrong with SA is Last Refuge.Everything else is fine.

in Thief

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

The only thing wrong with SA is Last Refuge.Everything else is fine.

And last refuge says (here lemme screw you over while you are almost dead!)

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in Thief

Posted by: Doomdesire.9365

Doomdesire.9365

Why would you spam stealth to get 10 stacks of might for a backstab? In that time you could just backstab twice for more overall damage and less initiative, lmfao.

ITs the might stacking ability OOC that makes it nice… It’s hard for other classes to do. (Ele/mes/etc) You can stack it up before you get to the first fight easy. And then do your two backstabs for more damage then well just 2 backstabs :P And it can stay up for awhile.

Stacking it out of combat can be tedious for most builds minus D/P, unless you want to waste a shadow refuge, of course. Either way having to CnD 5 times + having to wait 4s each time for 10 stacks of might(you can’t even reach 10 stacks of might with CnD chaining, so I don’t know where OP got his information from) and then catching up to the enemy is rather tedious. By the time I usually reach the enemy I have 2 stacks of might left if I’m lucky. It simply doesn’t work imo, and I don’t know why OP said that might stacking through CnD chaining is in any way OP. It’s very inefficient and simply cannot apply effectively in real world combat.

As for D/P, I don’t understand why someone would waste that much initiative for 10 stacks of might, especially since D/P itself takes up more initiative than CnD.

(edited by Doomdesire.9365)

in Thief

jportell.2197

Why would you spam stealth to get 10 stacks of might for a backstab? In that time you could just backstab twice for more overall damage and less initiative, lmfao.

ITs the might stacking ability OOC that makes it nice… It’s hard for other classes to do. (Ele/mes/etc) You can stack it up before you get to the first fight easy. And then do your two backstabs for more damage then well just 2 backstabs :P And it can stay up for awhile.

Stacking it out of combat can be tedious for most builds minus D/P, unless you want to waste a shadow refuge, of course. Either way having to CnD 5 times + having to wait 4s each time for 10 stacks of might(you can’t even reach 10 stacks of might with CnD chaining, so I don’t know where OP got his information from) and then catching up to the enemy is rather tedious. By the time I usually reach the enemy I have 2 stacks of might left if I’m lucky. It simply doesn’t work imo, and I don’t know why OP said that might stacking through CnD chaining is in any way OP. It’s very inefficient and simply cannot apply effectively in real world combat.

As for D/P, I don’t understand why someone would waste that much initiative for 10 stacks of might, especially since D/P itself takes up more initiative than CnD.

When you stack might runes once again you can have full initiative plus 20 stacks of might by the time you get into combat. D/P is a very ini heavy build to begin with so I imagine anyone running it has some might regen through sigils/traits.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in Thief

Posted by: Doomdesire.9365

Doomdesire.9365

When you stack might runes once again you can have full initiative plus 20 stacks of might by the time you get into combat. D/P is a very ini heavy build to begin with so I imagine anyone running it has some might regen through sigils/traits.

The only might rune I can see are the ones that give 20% might duration, and when stacked with similar runes, 40%. That still doesn’t account for 20 stacks of might. Not nearly, and especially considering the time it takes you to reach your enemy after spamming stealth through D/P, most likely from a distance.

Even then, I would much rather have the critical damage runes, which should deal more dps than the 5-6 extra stacks of might given through might stacking for a few seconds.

in Thief

Posted by: Azraeel.1238

Azraeel.1238

30 SA is mostly a PvE spec…

With might runes and 30 into SA you can run around pvp with constant 20 stacks of might… With nothing in SA that is 3600 power easy….

Not sure what your point is.

meaning you can run 30 SA in pvp and be worth a kitten Also you don’t die in a little sneeze.

That does not make SA OP, it makes it a good trait line. One of the best in the game infact.

Yes ANET needs to look at other classes toughness lines… Most of them are pathetic and don’t offer anything good offense and defense wise… SA does both very well.

Don’t try to change what is not broken. Each of the defensive trait lines is highly dependent on the class mechanics. Necro (MM), Ranger (BM), Warrior (Shield), Guardian (Support), Thief (Stealth)….etc

80 Necromancer (Main) | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 80 Warrior
Engineer and Elementalist in progress…

in Thief

Posted by: TheMightyAltroll.3485

TheMightyAltroll.3485

And yet only Ranger and Thief can make so much of theirs.

Contact me ingame for Necro, Ranger, Mesmer, and Thief advice.

in Thief

Posted by: dzeRnumbrd.6129

dzeRnumbrd.6129

EIDT: and I am totally fine with signet power builds coz you give up a lot to get that 16 stack, but with SA builds you don’t give up nothing and gains condition removal/healing.

Sigh – yet another thief saying “let’s nerf ourselves”.

Assuming your double negative was unintentional:

Almost every thief build starts with 0/30/0/0/0

Then to put 30 into into Shadow Arts making it 0/30/30/0/0 – this leaves you 10 points at most which you can put into Deadly Arts.

So it does cost you – it costs you 20 to 30 trait points you could have put into Deadly Arts (this is known as Opportunity Cost – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunity_cost).

What do you “give up” by choosing Shadow Arts:
- 200 to 300 extra power in Deadly Arts
- 200 to 300 extra condition damage in Deadly Arts
- Adept (maybe), Master and Grandmaster trait selection in Deadly arts
- burning through your initiative or using up a utility skill (eg, Shadow Refuge) to gain might
- having to use a clumsy mechanic of might stacking in order to get similar burst to a true 30/30/x/x/x glass cannon

Given 35 power = 1 stack of might then you are giving up 5.7 to 8.5 stacks of might.

So you a giving up a huge amount of permanent might stacks for a clumsy, situational and temporary amount of might stacks.

The fact you have to put escapes on cooldown (Shadow Refuge) or burn intiaitive (permastealth) to build those might stacks – does not make the might stacking “free” and the opportuinity cost associated with 30 in Shadow Arts is not small by any means.

As for condition removal – you are assuming that thieves take these traits in Shadow Arts. My guildies mainly use blind on stealth. I have seen many take the Deception skills cooldown trait. There are plenty of juicy Adept traits in SA that can be selected over condition removal. Many thieves that run 30 in Shadow Arts do not run the condition removal trait. Personally, I think they are crazy but your assumption that everyone will choose that trait is wrong.

in Thief

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

Um.. If you think that line is OP look at the Guardian one.

Um.. If you think that line is OP look at the Guardian one.30 Pts:
300 Toughness, 30% Extra Damage.

300 Toughness, 30% Extra Damage.Aegis an attack when your health reaches 50%. (NO INTERNAL CD, YOU CAN HEAL/Block ANOTHER attack, or a tick can tick and you can block multiple hits if you stay around 50%!)

300 Toughness, 30% Extra Damage.Aegis an attack when your health reaches 50%. (NO INTERNAL CD, YOU CAN HEAL/Block ANOTHER attack, or a tick can tick and you can block multiple hits if you stay around 50%!)Cure a condition every 10 seconds.

300 Toughness, 30% Extra Damage.Aegis an attack when your health reaches 50%. (NO INTERNAL CD, YOU CAN HEAL/Block ANOTHER attack, or a tick can tick and you can block multiple hits if you stay around 50%!)Cure a condition every 10 seconds.Lots of good abilities

300 Toughness, 30% Extra Damage.Aegis an attack when your health reaches 50%. (NO INTERNAL CD, YOU CAN HEAL/Block ANOTHER attack, or a tick can tick and you can block multiple hits if you stay around 50%!)Cure a condition every 10 seconds.Lots of good abilitiesAltruistic Healing (WTF… Omg?!) This alone heals for more then every warriors healing abilities.

300 Toughness, 30% Extra Damage.Aegis an attack when your health reaches 50%. (NO INTERNAL CD, YOU CAN HEAL/Block ANOTHER attack, or a tick can tick and you can block multiple hits if you stay around 50%!)Cure a condition every 10 seconds.Lots of good abilitiesAltruistic Healing (WTF… Omg?!) This alone heals for more then every warriors healing abilities._

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

in Thief

Posted by: noobftw.9654

noobftw.9654

Using D/P smoke field + leap you can stack 6 might with one smoke screen every 4-5 sec and if you can find a wall and leap against it, you can even get 8 stacks , you can get so much stealth duration from it that when you step back to backstab position you are most likely full initiative again.
Try out 10 30 30 0 0 d/p against 25 30 0 0 15 d/d, d/d does 5.4k against heavy bot w/o popping the shadow signet and 5.7k when popping it. d/p with modest 10 stacks of might does 5.4k w/o popping signet and 5.6 popping. While the peramstealth, cleanse, healing and endless combat reset button provides by SA line is THE best survivability line, even dwarfs ele water and arcane coz of the stealth.
Again I have no problem with SA minor 25 alone, the thing is when it’s combined with permastealth and the erroneous fact that this trait is triggered when you stack stealth duration as oppose to the description “Gain might for 15 seconds when you GO INTO stealth”. It’s quite fine for CnD since it really can’t be spammed and you only gain might when you regain stealth as it’s designed, but it’s just wrong when d/p can spam it while in stealth. Also I am not asking for a overhaul of SA line, but instead I am asking for either move this minor 25 to maybe DA or move the major 30. Having both burst damage (esp from d/p build) and survivability in the same trait line at 2 traits right next to each other is not balanced at all.

(edited by noobftw.9654)

in Thief

noobftw.9654

Again I have no problem with SA minor 25 alone, the thing is when it’s combined with permastealth and the erroneous fact that this trait is triggered when you stack stealth duration as oppose to the description “Gain might for 15 seconds when you GO INTO stealth”. It’s quite fine for CnD since it really can’t be spammed and you only gain might when you regain stealth as it’s designed, but it’s just wrong when d/p can spam it while in stealth.

in Thief

jportell.2197

30 SA is mostly a PvE spec…

With might runes and 30 into SA you can run around pvp with constant 20 stacks of might… With nothing in SA that is 3600 power easy….

Not sure what your point is.

meaning you can run 30 SA in pvp and be worth a kitten Also you don’t die in a little sneeze.

That does not make SA OP, it makes it a good trait line. One of the best in the game infact.

Yes ANET needs to look at other classes toughness lines… Most of them are pathetic and don’t offer anything good offense and defense wise… SA does both very well.

Don’t try to change what is not broken. Each of the defensive trait lines is highly dependent on the class mechanics. Necro (MM), Ranger (BM), Warrior (Shield), Guardian (Support), Thief (Stealth)….etc

Only some of those are actually good… BM and Guard. Warrior shield/toughness still isn’t on par with others they will always lack good condi removal… Mesmer toughness line is sad.. Especially the grand master majors… no ele ever goes into their toughness line unless its just 10 deep. Necro toughness line is taken for the staff traits and that is about it. The necros that do run MM builds do it only for the meat shields and not for the actual group support. Is SA OP? Mayyybbbeeee maybe not… But it is still way way way better in bonuses than half of the classes in this game at least.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in Thief

Azraeel.1238

Using D/P smoke field + leap you can stack 6 might with one smoke screen every 4-5 sec and if you can find a wall and leap against it, you can even get 8 stacks , you can get so much stealth duration from it that when you step back to backstab position you are most likely full initiative again.
Try out 10 30 30 0 0 d/p against 25 30 0 0 15 d/d, d/d does 5.4k against heavy bot w/o popping the shadow signet and 5.7k when popping it. d/p with modest 10 stacks of might does 5.4k w/o popping signet and 5.6 popping. While the peramstealth, cleanse, healing and endless combat reset button provides by SA line is THE best survivability line, even dwarfs ele water and arcane coz of the stealth.
Again I have no problem with SA minor 25 alone, the thing is when it’s combined with permastealth and the erroneous fact that this trait is triggered when you stack stealth duration as oppose to the description “Gain might for 15 seconds when you GO INTO stealth”. It’s quite fine for CnD since it really can’t be spammed and you only gain might when you regain stealth as it’s designed, but it’s just wrong when d/p can spam it while in stealth. Also I am not asking for a overhaul of SA line, but instead I am asking for either move this minor 25 to maybe DA or move the major 30. Having both burst damage (esp from d/p build) and survivability in the same trait line at 2 traits right next to each other is not balanced at all.

So basically a class that has damage as main role, gets a little increase in damage in their defensive trait line…. Thank you for stating the obvious….. Having few stacks of might will NOT one shot people. In fact, almost ALL of the 1vX videos I’ve seen attack without wasting any time trying to stack few might before engaging.

Another thing to show your incompetence, SA is a stealth dependent trait line, and so the minor trait complements it. Where as DA is condition reliant, and so its minor trait line (Exposed Weakness Deal 10% more damage if your target has a condition) is quite good for it. So please just stop there….

in Thief

noobftw.9654

So basically a class that has damage as main role, gets a little increase in damage in their defensive trait line…. Thank you for stating the obvious….. Having few stacks of might will NOT one shot people. In fact, almost ALL of the 1vX videos I’ve seen attack without wasting any time trying to stack few might before engaging.

Another thing to show your incompetence, SA is a stealth dependent trait line, and so the minor trait complements it. Where as DA is condition reliant, and so its minor trait line (Exposed Weakness Deal 10% more damage if your target has a condition) is quite good for it. So please just stop there….

hehe, try those two builds on pvp heavy bots and come back with damage number then we shall stalk again shall we?

“d/d does 5.4k against heavy bot w/o popping the shadow signet and 5.7k when popping it. d/p with modest 10 stacks of might does 5.4k w/o popping signet and 5.6 popping. "

in Thief

Azraeel.1238

Only some of those are actually good… BM and Guard. Warrior shield/toughness still isn’t on par with others they will always lack good condi removal… Mesmer toughness line is sad.. Especially the grand master majors… no ele ever goes into their toughness line unless its just 10 deep. Necro toughness line is taken for the staff traits and that is about it. The necros that do run MM builds do it only for the meat shields and not for the actual group support. Is SA OP? Mayyybbbeeee maybe not… But it is still way way way better in bonuses than half of the classes in this game at least.

You can’t have everything, don’t forget that Warriors have such a large health pool, which helps a lot against conditions. As for elementals, no one denies that they have a bunker build that is very good, whether they spec into toughness or not isn’t a problem. Now for the thieves, talking in general, no one denies the fact that they are squishy, without any boons to back this up, and not much for party support. This leaves thieves with a main role of damage. If they waste points in the toughness tree to only live a few hits in a dungeon for instance sacrificing damage, this will make the class totally useless, therefore, gaining some attack damage while living to sustain it will get them back into the game.

in Thief

Azraeel.1238

hehe, try those two builds on pvp heavy bots and come back with damage number then we shall stalk again shall we?

“d/d does 5.4k against heavy bot w/o popping the shadow signet and 5.7k when popping it. d/p with modest 10 stacks of might does 5.4k w/o popping signet and 5.6 popping. "

Are you basing all of your credibility on fighting bots? -_-
Put on a recorder, go do some pve (world, dungeons) , WvW, spvp while using your might stacking logic, and post it here. Show us how viable this is, then maybe… we shall talk again?

in Thief

Azraeel.1238

I’m not the one trolling here, I could say the same for you! Next time you accuse something to be OP, at least show it in a viable gameplay. Moreover, this game got no precise DPS measurements, sometimes I kill an NPC mob in 3 hits, and sometimes the same mob takes more to kill using the exact same strategy. Especially if your build is critical strikes dependent. So I still find no logic in your comparison.

in Thief

Posted by: Inoence.6907

Inoence.6907

IMO shadow arts is way op

• I am fairly certain that you, as a “thief” (good lie, why would you cry about your own class that it is OP) got owned by some thief.
  • No one cares whether you think that something is op or not
  • Stop qqing. Only noobs do. Owait your name is “noobftw”, i forgot.
  • Deal with it! These kind of players destroy good classes because they don’t have enough skill!
  • If you think that the might stacking + “big” hp-regeneration is “OP”, look at the ele…. might stacking: 3x Blast Finisher into its own Fire Field + Sigil of Battle (works on Attunement swap) = 12 Might (+30% Boon Duration from Arcana). Hp-Regeneration: not high but lots of burst heals.
  • The might stacks stacking point is a joke i assume? Truly one of the most ineffective ways to achieve up to 10 stacks of might!

in Thief

noobftw.9654

• I am fairly certain that you, as a “thief” (good lie, why would you cry about your own class that it is OP) got owned by some thief.
  • Deal with it! These kind of players destroy good classes because they don’t have enough skill!
  • If you think that the might stacking + “big” hp-regeneration is “OP”, look at the ele…. might stacking: 3x Blast Finisher into its own Fire Field + Sigil of Battle (works on Attunement swap) = 12 Might (+30% Boon Duration from Arcana). Hp-Regeneration: not high but lots of burst heals.
  • The might stacks stacking point is a joke i assume? Truly one of the most ineffective ways to achieve up to 10 stacks of might!

Geeze, learn to read will ya? When and where did I say thief is op, healing from major 30 is op? I have repeated over and over, " The current trait lineup makes SA op" as compared to DA. Since when you get 30 SA you can basically get the same burst dmg as 25 30 0 0 15 build on top of other healing, cleanse, permastealth from SA. The fact that minor 25 is triggered when you stack stealth duration as opposed to the skill description"gain 2 stacks of might when you GO INTO stealth" makes d/p thief able to abuse this trait.
I have dps-tested comparing DA build to SA build and the result is they do the same backstabbing damage, and if you disagree do yours and let the number speak will ya?
and please get REAL, might stacking is op, why do you think ANET nerfed sigil of battle for? I love to play op meta might stacking builds of engi, ele and thief but I am not afraid to say some of these builds are op ANET please nerf them so we can start seeing more interesting builds.
BTW, before calling people noob, invite me to a duel and let me know which professions you want me to duel you with, got bawlls?

(edited by noobftw.9654)

in Thief

noobftw.9654

I’m not the one trolling here, I could say the same for you! Next time you accuse something to be OP, at least show it in a viable gameplay. Moreover, this game got no precise DPS measurements, sometimes I kill an NPC mob in 3 hits, and sometimes the same mob takes more to kill using the exact same strategy. Especially if your build is critical strikes dependent. So I still find no logic in your comparison.

so this is your logic? “this game got no precise DPS measurements, sometimes I kill an NPC mob in 3 hits, and sometimes the same mob takes more to kill using the exact same strategy.” ? LOLzz, if your logic applies, can I say SOMETIMES a condition 0 0 30 20 20 thief does more backstab damage than 25 30 0 0 15 zerker thief?
What are these bots in pvp there for? decorations?

in Thief

Posted by: Karolis.4261

Karolis.4261

Geeze, learn to read will ya? When and where did I say thief is op, healing from major 30 is op? I have repeated over and over, " The current trait lineup makes SA op" as compared to DA. Since when you get 30 SA you can basically get the same burst dmg as 25 30 0 0 15 build on top of other healing, cleanse, permastealth from SA. The fact that minor 25 is triggered when you stack stealth duration as opposed to the skill description"gain 2 stacks of might when you GO INTO stealth" makes d/p thief able to abuse this trait.
I have dps-tested comparing DA build to SA build and the result is they do the same backstabbing damage, and if you disagree do yours and let the number speak will ya?
and please get REAL, might stacking is op, why do you think ANET nerfed sigil of battle for? I love to play op meta might stacking builds of engi, ele and thief but I am not afraid to say some of these builds are op ANET please nerf them so we can start seeing more interesting builds.
BTW, before calling people noob, invite me to a duel and let me know which professions you want me to duel you with, got bawlls?

So is it D/P or is it SA that is OP ? Many ppl (including me) make their builds around SA for d/d, s/d, p/d. And no you cant get same burst damage with SA. DA will burst way more. DA offers 250-300 more atk power, +5% dagger training and +10 % damage when target has condition on it versus 4-6 stacks of might in the middle of battle while using SA with x/d. I wont advocate D/P cause I do agree its kinda OP, but its not the trait fault, its easy to acess stealth stack mechanics and blind fields.

PvP hero Valentin in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiYUlhsO_M
cough*keyboardturningclicker*cough

in Thief

Posted by: DanH.5879

DanH.5879

clueless OR this: http://dagobah.net/flash/successful_troll_2.swf
it’s the only one DECENT for pve,
gtfo out of our forum !

i would ban you all for trolling an already weak pve class

in Thief

Karolis.4261

gtfo out of our forum !

kitten, you allmost gave me heart attack with that link ! I had my sound too high :/

in Thief

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

Guardian Defense tree is just as OP.

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

in Thief

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

For comparison, if you want to stack might on an elementalist you need to sacrifice 30 points into Fire, therefore losing either all your arcana (attunement swap speed, dodging skills, etc) or all your water (survival, condition removal).

Yet, elementalists are visible all the time, have a much lower damage output, less mobility, and casting time about 5 times longer…

And they keep nerfing the ele! What a gigantic mistake.

in Thief

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

Yep, this trait line is op as kitten and any non-noob thief knows it. The main problem is that Shadow’s Embrace and Infusion of Shadow are both lvl 10 traits when they should be lvl 20. It’s really quite hilarious sometimes how carelessy this game is designed. Look at the shadow arts trait line :

lvl 10Trait: Remove one condition every 3 seconds while in stealth.
lvl 20 Trait: Shortbow and harpoon gun damage is increased by 5%.

Also
lvl 20 trait: Regain 1 initiative every full 3 seconds in stealth.
lvl 10 trait: Gain 2 initative whenever doing something that stealths you.

It doesn’t take a scientist to tell that the latter is strictly better xD.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

(edited by Master of Timespace.2548)

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

I disagree completely. SA is mostly for survival, I definitely don’t take it for the epic damage you think it has lol. yeah I’m going to waste time chaining a few cloak and daggers while someone is capping a point because I have all the time in the world for my ‘sustain’ right? No… just no. This is yet another WvW complaint, and don’t underestimate the incredibly useful AoE perma-weakness you get in DA line using shortbow.

I would imagine you should know how a thief works since you apparently main one?

i agree here. SA is strong….but not OP. without this thieves are dead meat in wvw !! i mean DEAD. one guy above somewhere here says that too much cond removal and best heal…..ok for 1- its the ONLY condi removal we have in ALL traitlines….for 2- 400 hp per tick is nice but nto the best in game…cmon guardian and ele own that…. even ranger can embarass this. also a thief takes a huge dmg hit when going 30 in sa rather than power or in crit. it comes with a trade off. most of thief dmg comes from traits…thats why anet was talking about upping their base dmg soon so we dotn have to soley rely on trait lines to make thief work.

in Thief

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

this is working as intended.

please do not fix what is not broken.

in Thief

noobftw.9654

gtfo out of our forum !

lolz, for someone who has problem with PVE content, ya sure talk like a bozz.

in Thief

Posted by: Sunflowers.1729

Sunflowers.1729

If you look akitten in a vacuum the SA tree has amazingly good synergistic traits. Compared to acrobatics, it is the obvious choice for survivability.

It has condition removal, initiative regeneration, longer stealth, health regeneration, might stacks, and an ‘oh crap’ skill (albeit one that doesn’t always work properly). You can even get all of these at the same time, which is what everyone does. The tree even gives toughness, and healing power, both of which work well with all the traits in it.

I don’t know if there are any other classes that can get everything they need to survive in one single tree. It just has so much good stuff condensed into 30 points (I won’t say ‘everything you could ever need’, because it doesn’t have endurance regeneration)

So yes, I think the tree is OP. Before the entire forum jumps on me and says “noob L2P” or whatever, realize that the SA tree != Thief class as a whole so one trait line being amazingly good doesn’t necessarily mean the class is overpowered.

(But to any Thief that thinks we are in any way underpowered for WvW right now, I would vehemently disagree and tell them to ‘L2P’)

(edited by Sunflowers.1729)

in Thief

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

you forgot to mention that thief has medium armor and low health pool.

If you look akitten in a vacuum the SA tree has amazingly good synergistic traits. Compared to acrobatics, it is the obvious choice for survivability.

It has condition removal, initiative regeneration, longer stealth, health regeneration, might stacks, and an ‘oh crap’ skill (albeit one that doesn’t always work properly). You can even get all of these at the same time, which is what everyone does. The tree even gives toughness, and healing power, both of which work well with all the traits in it.

I don’t know if there are any other classes that can get everything they need to survive in one single tree. It just has so much good stuff condensed into 30 points (I won’t say ‘everything you could ever need’, because it doesn’t have endurance regeneration)

So yes, I think the tree is OP. Before the entire forum jumps on me and says “noob L2P” or whatever, realize that the SA tree != Thief class as a whole so one trait line being amazingly good doesn’t necessarily mean the class is overpowered.

(But to any Thief that thinks we are in any way underpowered for WvW right now, I would vehemently disagree and tell them to ‘L2P’)

in Thief

noobftw.9654

• I am fairly certain that you, as a “thief” (good lie, why would you cry about your own class thakitten is OP) got owned by some thief.

So is it D/P or is it SA that is OP ? Many ppl (including me) make their builds around SA for d/d, s/d, p/d. And no you cant get same burst damage with SA. DA will burst way more. DA offers 250-300 more atk power, +5% dagger training and +10 % damage when target has condition on it versus 4-6 stacks of might in the middle of battle while using SA with x/d. I wont advocate D/P cause I do agree its kinda OP, but its not the trait fault, its easy to acess stealth stack mechanics and blind fields.

D/P is fine without the bug on SA minor 25 (the bug meaning gaining might when stacking stealth duration). The reality is thief is actually underpowered in tourny, because of stealth, we never can be good point defender ( we used to be able to with condition build but that’s long gone). The only role we can do well in tourny is burst damage. It’s funny that as thief we can’t do point stealer well either since our burst is not strong enough to duel most of point defender meta builds. The damage from SA line really doesn’t help much since whenever we stacking might in stealth we are actually losing points.The only place its good for is wvw small roaming group or solo troll.
And what I am asking for is to move this might stacking minor 25 trait to DA maybe minor 15 and restore mug to give us more burst from DA while keeping the permastealth, healing . cleanse in SA and make SA minor 25 a stat conversion trait. This way we get buffed in tourny and slightly nerfed in the meta d/p wvw troll build so we might be seeing the real burst build 25/30/0/0/15 coming back to WVW and people might start trying out different traits for Sword/Dagger build instead of the same traits from d/p.
I am sick’nTired of seeing 80% of toons during wvw trash hours are d/p thieves and peeps qqin us op basedon that while actually we quite underpowered in tourny. Fixing the SA line would be a good remedy IMO to fix that.

in Thief

Posted by: Raidium.3916

Raidium.3916

Dude… Did you made 2 accounts just to troll people about SA being OP?

in Thief

Sunflowers.1729

you forgot to mention that thief has medium armor and low health pool.

That doesn’t have anything to do with how good the SA tree is. Elementalists have an nice tree too (Water), and they have even lower armor, and the same health pool. Yet they are still a viable class. Their tree that gives healing even gives vitality, which (personally) I think is kind of a useless stat past a minimum level. Toughness from the SA tree is much better.

in Thief

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

why not?

perhaps it would be over powered if the thief has [heavy] armor and [high] health pool but this is not the case.

given how the thief has [medium] armor and [low] health pool i would say the shadow arts traits line is not over powered.

more vitality means more health is always good against conditions though. and helps to survive lag spikes.

low health pool with high defense value (toughness + armor) will still succumb against conditions.

That doesn’t have anything to do with how good the SA tree is. Elementalists have an nice tree too (Water), and they have even lower armor, and the same health pool. Yet they are still a viable class. Their tree that gives healing even gives vitality, which (personally) I think is kind of a useless stat past a minimum level. Toughness from the SA tree is much better.

in Thief

Posted by: Raidium.3916

Raidium.3916

^ I agree… As a thief I barely use any sort of toughness since I mainly use stealth. I kind of wish vitality was tied to Shadow Arts but that would be kind of OP. 15k health And stealth, what a deal.

in Thief

Sunflowers.1729

why not?

perhaps it would be over powered if the thief has [heavy] armor and [high] health pool but this is not the case.

given how the thief has [medium] armor and [low] health pool i would say the shadow arts traits line is not over powered.

more vitality means more health is always good against conditions though. and helps to survive lag spikes.

low health pool with high defense value (toughness + armor) will still succumb against conditions.

Look what I said in my post

realize that the SA tree != Thief class as a whole so one trait line being amazingly good doesn’t necessarily mean the class is overpowered.

In any case, I honestly don’t believe the Thief sub-forum has any grip on what actual ‘balance’ is. Play another class for a while, see how good you have it. We aren’t even that bad in PvE.

in Thief

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

well u did mention “So yes, I think the tree is OP” as in your opinion the thief’s shadow arts trait line is over powered.

i do not agree that the thief’s shadow arts traits line is over powered.
i tried to “defend my opinion” that the thief’s shadow arts traits line is not over powered due to the thief having only [medium] armor and [low] health pool.

while you went on and highlighted how good the trait line is etc.

realize that the SA tree != Thief class as a whole so one trait line being amazingly good doesn’t necessarily mean the class is overpowered.

In any case, I honestly don’t believe the Thief sub-forum has any grip on what actual ‘balance’ is. Play another class for a while, see how good you have it. We aren’t even that bad in PvE.

in Thief

noobftw.9654

^ I agree… As a thief I barely use any sort of toughness since I mainly use stealth. I kind of wish vitality was tied to Shadow Arts but that would be kind of OP. 15k health And stealth, what a deal.

Toughness is actually way better than vitality when you have spamable cleanse and healing. SA is quite a sweet spot there . Not saying its op because of that. If u read my post you will know its the bugged minor 25 trait when it’s abused in dp build.

in Thief

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hidden_Assassin

Gain might for 15 seconds when you go into stealth.
— In-game description
Notes
This trait actually grants two stacks of might for every 3 seconds in stealth. This is relevant for stacking, such as when using Shadow Refuge.

so you are trying say that, since what [hidden assassin] actually does (gain x2 might 15s every 3 seconds in stealth) does not matches with [hidden assassin]’s description (gain might 15s upon entering stealth) so [hidden assassin] is bugged?

well, i hope they fix the description soon to match what [hidden assassin] does.

the new description should be:
Gain might for 15 seconds while in stealth.
— In-game description

yeah we know how vague they can be with in game descriptions right?

Toughness is actually way better than vitality when you have spamable cleanse and healing. SA is quite a sweet spot there . Not saying its op because of that. If u read my post you will know its the bugged minor 25 trait when it’s abused in dp build.

(edited by Deimos Tel Arin.7391)

in Thief

noobftw.9654

why not?

I always get stunned when people saying xxx class is weak in pve. How can it get south when you fighting the code? Theif in particular is quite fine in pve, we can provide good dps, good bleeding if want to, perma blind if wanted, projectile blocker, stealth ress …. Oh yea, we more than just fine in pve and dungeon.

in Thief

noobftw.9654

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hidden_Assassin

Gain might for 15 seconds when you go into stealth.
— In-game description
Notes
This trait actually grants two stacks of might for every 3 seconds in stealth. This is relevant for stacking, such as when using Shadow Refuge.

so you are trying say that, since what [hidden assassin] actually does (gain x2 might 15s every 3 seconds in stealth) does not matches with [hidden assassin]’s description (gain might 15s upon entering stealth) so [hidden assassin] is bugged?

well, i hope they fix the description soon to match what [hidden assassin] does.

the new description should be:
Gain might for 15 seconds while in stealth.
— In-game description

yeah we know how vague they can be with in game descriptions right?

I am pretty sure when dev put together the sa trait they didn’t realize that minor 25 can be spammed by leap through the same smoke field. If u have two thieves working together you can spam leap finisher nonestop and its quite possible to get 20 stacks or even more in wvw, with a wall and some helps from runes you can even get full stacks.

in Thief

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

perhaps it is working as intended? [hidden assassin] has been behaving like this since day -3 is it? i dunno. i did not play a thief from day -3 so i cannot confirm on that.

unless they change it in the future patches i would say this is working as intended.

I am pretty sure when dev put together the sa trait they didn’t realize that minor 25 can be spammed by leap through the same smoke field. If u have two thieves working together you can spam leap finisher nonestop and its quite possible to get 20 stacks or even more in wvw, with a wall and some helps from runes you can even get full stacks.

in Thief

Azraeel.1238

I just love how people say something then contradict themselves.

Then why mention it? They have everything, but they don’t have everything!

If an “OP trait line” doesn’t make a class OP, then either the trait line isn’t OP, or the class is so bad, that the “OP trait line” makes it average.

I have 4 80s, my main is a necromancer, and I find thieves to be fine. You just have a wrong way of defining balance. As long as a class isn’t OP in everything they do and against everyone, then it is fine.

so this is your logic? “this game got no precise DPS measurements, sometimes I kill an NPC mob in 3 hits, and sometimes the same mob takes more to kill using the exact same strategy.” ? LOLzz, if your logic applies, can I say SOMETIMES a condition 0 0 30 20 20 thief does more backstab damage than 25 30 0 0 15 zerker thief?
What are these bots in pvp there for? decorations?

Lol, if you understood my point this way, then I am pretty sure you have no idea what you are talking about, I am not even going to comment on the lame example you provided. Until now you failed to show me a video of your playstyle in actual combat. You ask your opponents to wait a few minutes until you stack the might up? Even if you manage to stack up to 9 stacks of might, it increases the backstab damage by ~700, still isn’t enough to even consider it a threat. Just give it up with your trolling already!

in Thief

Sunflowers.1729

I just love how people say something then contradict themselves.

Then why mention it? They have everything, but they don’t have everything!

If an “OP trait line” doesn’t make a class OP, then either the trait line isn’t OP, or the class is so bad, that the “OP trait line” makes it average.

I have 4 80s, my main is a necromancer, and I find thieves to be fine. You just have a wrong way of defining balance. As long as a class isn’t OP in everything they do and against everyone, then it is fine.

Everything that is needed to survive != Everything that you can. If the Valor tree gave guardians stealth too, that would be amazing. Do they need it to survive? No.

One tree can certainly be OP but the class is not. If we took one thief build, for example 25/30/0/0/15 and (hypothetically) combined all of the traits into Critical Strikes, it would not change the overall build very much. Yet obviously that tree would become overpowered.

And as for general ’OP’ness, you define OP as “being good in* everything* they do”? 100blades Warriors suck in sPvP so I wonder why everyone takes them for dungeons. One class can certainly be OP in one area and not in another.

Please, if you want to argue semantics, do it properly or don’t do it at all.

in Thief

Azraeel.1238

Everything that is needed to survive != Everything that you can. If the Valor tree gave guardians stealth too, that would be amazing. Do they need it to survive? No.

One tree can certainly be OP but the class is not. If we took one thief build, for example 25/30/0/0/15 and (hypothetically) combined all of the traits into Critical Strikes, it would not change the overall build very much. Yet obviously that tree would become overpowered.

And as for general ’OP’ness, you define OP as “being good in* everything* they do”? 100blades Warriors suck in sPvP so I wonder why everyone takes them for dungeons. One class can certainly be OP in one area and not in another.

I still don’t see any meaning in what you said. Guardians got in the valor tree line almost everything they need to survive. So does the rest of the classes depending on their mechanics. Afterall, this is what the toughness tree line is there for! It looks like you just have an issue against stealth, that is so obvious you don’t even need to admit it.

Everyone takes a warrior because most of the fight mechanics in the game are dumb tank and spank, throw in some ranged or heavy conditioned fights, and you will see less demand for warriors. So they do good damage against an NPC that just sits there, you call that OP?

in Thief

Sunflowers.1729

I still don’t see any meaning in what you said. Guardians got in the valor tree line almost everything they need to survive. So does the rest of the classes depending on their mechanics. Afterall, this is what the toughness tree line is there for! It looks like you just have an issue against stealth, that is so obvious you don’t even need to admit it.

Everyone takes a warrior because most of the fight mechanics in the game are dumb tank and spank, throw in some ranged or heavy conditioned fights, and you will see less demand for warriors. So they do good damage against an NPC that just sits there, you call that OP?

I’m just pointing out that your rebuke made no logical sense. Besides, Guardians don’t get everything in one tree. Shout cooldown and shout condition removal, both of which are extremely important, are in another tree. A popular trait build for Guardians is 0/0/30/30/10. 60 trait points devoted to survivability. Of course, Thieves can build something like 0/10/30/30/0, but it’s not particularly common. Almost any trait distribution that takes some form of survivability will put 30 (or at least 20) points into SA (Edit: into SA first. It’s extremely uncommon to put points into acrobatics before SA)

Also, please tell me, how does anything I said indicate that I have an issue with stealth? And even if I do, it doesn’t make your arguments any less leaky.

Finally, I don’t have any idea what your last paragraph is saying. All that I am saying is that you cannot define “overpowered” as being “best at everything”. By that logic, we could buff Engineers to do 5000% damage to players, and since that doesn’t make them any better at doing dungeons (another aspect of the game), then it would not be ‘overpowered’. Evidently such a definition is pointless for anything because it is too simple.

in Thief

Karolis.4261

• I am fairly certain that you, as a “thief” (good lie, why would you cry about your own class thakitten is OP) got owned by some thief.

D/P is fine without the bug on SA minor 25 (the bug meaning gaining might when stacking stealth duration). The reality is thief is actually underpowered in tourny, because of stealth, we never can be good point defender ( we used to be able to with condition build but that’s long gone). The only role we can do well in tourny is burst damage. It’s funny that as thief we can’t do point stealer well either since our burst is not strong enough to duel most of point defender meta builds. The damage from SA line really doesn’t help much since whenever we stacking might in stealth we are actually losing points.The only place its good for is wvw small roaming group or solo troll.
And what I am asking for is to move this might stacking minor 25 trait to DA maybe minor 15 and restore mug to give us more burst from DA while keeping the permastealth, healing . cleanse in SA and make SA minor 25 a stat conversion trait. This way we get buffed in tourny and slightly nerfed in the meta d/p wvw troll build so we might be seeing the real burst build 25/30/0/0/15 coming back to WVW and people might start trying out different traits for Sword/Dagger build instead of the same traits from d/p.
I am sick’nTired of seeing 80% of toons during wvw trash hours are d/p thieves and peeps qqin us op basedon that while actually we quite underpowered in tourny. Fixing the SA line would be a good remedy IMO to fix that.

You are funny. Nerf SA tree to nerf D/P. IS it me or it doesnt sound right at all ? Bring back 25/30/0/0/15 aka 222222222 build ? Yea sure. Bring might on stealth for build that barelly uses stealth exept for burst in cnd mug bs hshshs combo ? Yea sure.
just confess allready that you are being facerolled by other thieves (if u even play one) and you came here to qq. Oh and there is no bug in 25 minor. It gives you might on every stealth pulse, be it shadow refuge pulse, or hs in smoke spam, not time spent in stealth or every 3s or w/e you ever said.

(edited by Karolis.4261)