Is Rifle more DPS than P/P?

in Thief

Posted by: Luclinraider.2317

Luclinraider.2317

Hey guys,

I’ve been doing some testing today on the dummies in the mists trying to figure out if rifle is the new highest DPS on Thief for things like Raiding.

I thought for sure P/P would beat it out with DE and just unload spam….but after testing I found this:

- I went all out for 40 seconds on the target with the same tree’s and skill for both. (40 seconds seems to be about the time both weapon sets run out of initiative)
- The only trait that aided one weapon and not the other was Snipers Cover, giving Rifle an extra 20% crit chance.
- No movement was done, which was likely beneficial towards rifle bias.

However, in just straight DPS race, rifle seemed to beat out P/P. With P/P averaging about 180K and Rifle averaging about 210K.

Without being able to use DPS meters it’s hard to get exact results, but had anyone else tried this out yet and if so what did you find?
-

in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

However, in just straight DPS race, rifle seemed to beat out P/P. With P/P averaging about 180K and Rifle averaging about 210K.

-

I think you have some flaws in your testing methods to get those numbers lol.

in Thief

Posted by: Luclinraider.2317

Luclinraider.2317

Sorry….I can see the confusion there.

These are the numbers that each weapon got within its 40 second timer.

Not it’s DPS lol…..that would be impressive :P.

in Thief

Posted by: Asur.9178

Asur.9178

You need to redo your tests.

P/P outdpses rifle currently…and they’re both bad.

in Thief

Posted by: perry.9645

perry.9645

did you have the same buffs/debuffs at all times? if not the numbers are useless

in Thief

Posted by: Kut.7138

Kut.7138

hi, can you explain why P/P is bad, I am new and try learn and I heard it was good dps thx

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

P/P does more but full Malice kneel 4 is heavier nuke damage. It’s situational.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Thief

Posted by: freeman.7315

freeman.7315

hi, can you explain why P/P is bad, I am new and try learn and I heard it was good dps thx

Most of these players speak from a strictly sPvP point of view. From a PvE perspective P/P can be a good and fun way to play.

in Thief

Posted by: Kravick.4906

Kravick.4906

Its only bad in PvP because P/P has no escapes or defensive maneuvers to keep you alive. In PVE, P/P is actually required for certain content unless you want to spend all of your time dead or on the ground. It out damages Shortbow by miles on single targets (Shortbow is still arguably better for AoE due to Clusterbomb), and a dead thief does no damage.

Stuff goes here.