Martial Staff

Martial Staff

in Thief

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

The Thief would use the staff as a true hit and run skirmishing weapon, unleashing the fury of his initiative before finishing with an auto-attack combo that breaks the fight, refilling his endurance and initiative, and re-engaging the fight.

Sustained damage can be obtained by hitting with the first two strikes of your combo between each skill.

Skill 1 Chain
Smack – Hit your foe with the staff.
Thwack – Hit your foe with the staff again.
Back – Deal damage, knock your foe back, and slide back a distance all in one motion.

Skill 2 Flick ~ Costs 1 Initiative
A very quick, damaging attack that puts 1 short duration stack of vulnerability on the target. If spammed, it’ll look and act like a mobile version of a channeled move (ie: Hundred Blades, Whirling Defense, etc.).

Skill 3 Sweep ~ Costs 5 Initiative
A cone attack that knocks struck foes down and damages them. Sweep them off their feet.

Skill 4 Guard ~ Costs 4 Initiative
Channel a defensive stance. If attacked in melee range, counterattack with a high damage swing that dazes the foe briefly. Cancel the channel early to grant allies Aegis for a few seconds.

Skill 5 Pole Vault ~ Costs 6 Initiative
Leap at the target location, damaging foes in an AoE. If a foe is hit directly by your body, you gain a passive called “Bookah Stomp” making your next Pole Vault free.

Traits

Acrobatics

Staff Mastery
Your endurance slightly refills when consuming initiative with a Staff. Staff attacks deal 5% more damage.
(Master)

Martial Staff

in Thief

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

I had an idea similar to this, it is very thiefish.
Except I would do 10% damage, not 5%.

Problem with Sweep is its balanced as a cooldown weapon, but you could spam it over and over, constantly sweeping.

Switching Pole Vault and Sweep would be better, and changing it to cost 4 initiative instead of 6.

6 could be a rush type ability.

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

(edited by Daecollo.9578)

Martial Staff

in Thief

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

Adventurer classes can use a variety of items but none are able to use staves/scepters/foci/hammers/maces… Notice that certain armored tier classes are unable to use weapons that other class categories can use… For instance soldier classes can not use shortbows, pistols, or daggers…. you guys got it pretty good currently… But if you need another ranged weapon… Try picking one that is already available in your class “category” rifle or long bow come to mind

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

Martial Staff

in Thief

Daecollo.9578

Adventurer classes can use a variety of items but none are able to use staves/scepters/foci/hammers/maces… Notice that certain armored tier classes are unable to use weapons that other class categories can use… For instance soldier classes can not use shortbows, pistols, or daggers…. you guys got it pretty good currently… But if you need another ranged weapon… Try picking one that is already available in your class “category” rifle or long bow come to mind

A lot of thieves in history used the staff.

Martial Staff

in Thief

jportell.2197

I am stating something based off how they split the armor tiers and the weapons available to them… And what thief? From a lore perspective in this game used a staff? Not denying that the ideas here are cool… But based off of the current implementation of staves in this game… The way its being described to be used here just doesn’t fit…

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

Martial Staff

in Thief

Duke Blackrose.4981

I am stating something based off how they split the armor tiers and the weapons available to them… And what thief? From a lore perspective in this game used a staff? Not denying that the ideas here are cool… But based off of the current implementation of staves in this game… The way its being described to be used here just doesn’t fit…

Why impose a limitation on the future of classes based on current weapon selections? All this does is restrict class definitions, when they could easily be expanded, and limit the game’s longevity by restricting the number of weapons available to each class.

Staves fit the Thief (and the Ranger, for that matter) like a glove, even if they need to release specific “Bo Staves” for this to happen. And why restrict the staff? It’s already available to both light armor and heavy armor (the Guardian) classes. Who is to say that it is out of reach of medium armor professions?

Martial Staff

in Thief

jportell.2197

Why impose a limitation on the future of classes based on current weapon selections? All this does is restrict class definitions, when they could easily be expanded, and limit the game’s longevity by restricting the number of weapons available to each class.

Staves fit the Thief (and the Ranger, for that matter) like a glove, even if they need to release specific “Bo Staves” for this to happen. And why restrict the staff? It’s already available to both light armor and heavy armor (the Guardian) classes. Who is to say that it is out of reach of medium armor professions?

SO you are saying that all weapons should be available to all classes in this game? The type of staff you are talking about and the type of staff skills used in GW2 are on polar opposite ends of the spectrum lore wise and from a gaming practicality stand point…There are reasons that they limited the weapons available to certain classes and from a game mode perspective you are essentially asking for an entirely new weapon because staves are “Magical weapons” in this game and you are asking for more of a melee time option here… You aren’t comparing oranges to apples you are asking oranges to turn into apples.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

Martial Staff

in Thief

Posted by: Lokheit.7943

Lokheit.7943

@jportell.2197

In first place this is a sugestion to have the Staff as a melee weapon if you read the title and the content. I don’t know why you understand this is a claim to get more ranged weapons when it isn’t.

Secondly, Warriors use powder weapons (Rifle) which is theme are very similar to Pistols. And I can perfectly see Guardians using shortbows in the future (with Arrows of Light and Purity and that stuff).

I don’t think every class will have every weapon in the game (maybe, maybe not), but every weapon can be adapted to every (or at least most) classes. For example the Necromancer currently uses the Axe as a totem instead of as melee weapon, so the Thief can perfectly use a Staff as a martial melee weapon. Ranger’s could have staves too and use it in a druid-like way given how they even have a trait line named “Nature Magic” and can summon spirits of nature and have spells based on nature forces (like creating springs, summoning thunders and making plants trap their foes).

No offense but that “class category” distinction is silly, look at scholar classes. Also the game has 2 different tiers (armor tiers and HP tiers, and HP tiers are in fact MORE IMPORTANT than armor tiers as they bring more free stats than armor tiers). Weapons go well for particular professions, not for particular armor tiers (for example powder weapons don’t go thematically well with Rangers and they have medium armor like Thieves and Engineers).

About thieves with staves. The first Thief impossible to imagine without a staff that comes to my mind is Gambit from the X-Men (and he’s a Thief, in fact he’s the son of one of the most powerful families of thieves in his own lore and continuity) and there are more staff wielding thieves in different fiction stories.

(edited by Lokheit.7943)

Martial Staff

in Thief

jportell.2197

@jportell.2197

In first place this is a sugestion to have the Staff as a melee weapon if you read the title and the content. I don’t know why you understand this is a claim to get more ranged weapons when it isn’t.

Secondly, Warriors use powder weapons (Rifle) which is theme are very similar to Pistols. And I can perfectly see Guardians using shortbows in the future (with Arrows of Light and Purity and that stuff).

I don’t think every class will have every weapon in the game (maybe, maybe not), but every weapon can be adapted to every (or at least most) classes. For example the Necromancer currently uses the Axe as a totem instead of as melee weapon, so the Thief can perfectly use a Staff as a martial melee weapon. Ranger’s could have staves too and use it in a druid-like way given how they even have a trait line named “Nature Magic” and can summon spirits of nature and have spells based on nature forces (like creating springs, summoning thunders and making plants trap their foes).

No offense but that “class category” distinction is silly, look at scholar classes. Weapons go well for particular professions, not for particular armor tiers (for example powder weapons don’t go thematically well with Rangers and they have medium armor).

About thieves with staves. The first Thief impossible to imagine without a staff that comes to my mind is Gambit from the X-Men (and he’s a Thief, in fact he’s the son of one of the most powerful families of thieves in his own lore and continuity) and there are more staff wielding thieves in different fiction stories.

That is all good and well(the gambit remark)…. But across the board… Staves are magical weapons in this game not melee weapons… Classes were designed to have some limitations on the weapons they can choose… If anything as far as a two handed melee weapon goes a GS would be a more interesting implementation than completely redesigning the way weaponsets were meant to work in this game… And having a GS thief would play more to the “stealth Ninja type” considering that weapons there were two-handed… I do understand that people want a two handed melee option for thieves but with the weapon implementation in this game…. I don’t see a staff being it.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

Martial Staff

in Thief

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

Nobody cares Portell.

Anyways. A martial staff be nice if they bring in Bo-staff type weapons none of that silly harry potter crap.

The great forum duppy.

Martial Staff

in Thief

jportell.2197

Nobody cares Portell.

Anyways. A martial staff be nice if they bring in Bo-staff type weapons none of that silly harry potter crap.

Okay enjoy your far fetched dreams on what they may or may not do kitten. More realistically on what they would do for two handed melee would be ranger GS considering that it is across all class types.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

Martial Staff

in Thief

Lokheit.7943

That is all good and well(the gambit remark)…. But across the board… Staves are magical weapons in this game not melee weapons… Classes were designed to have some limitations on the weapons they can choose… If anything as far as a two handed melee weapon goes a GS would be a more interesting implementation than completely redesigning the way weaponsets were meant to work in this game… And having a GS thief would play more to the “stealth Ninja type” considering that weapons there were two-handed… I do understand that people want a two handed melee option for thieves but with the weapon implementation in this game…. I don’t see a staff being it.

Weapons aren’t treated as “this type and only this type” in this game.

Axe: Ranged throwable weapon for Rangers, melee slasher for Warriors, magical totem for Necors.

Dagger: Melee/throwable weapon for Thieves and Rangers. Totem/magical weapon for Eles and Necros.

Greatsword: Melee slasher for Warrior, melee with magical aspects for Guardians and Rangers, COMPLETLY MAGICAL bazooka for Mesmers (and for eles if you count the elite which is a GS weapon skin available in the game).

No weapon has a closed range of ways to be used. Even in GW1 they released a bo staff skin for Scythes so Dervishes (or people choosing Dervish as a secondary class) could use bo staves in melee combat. And there are many adorned staves (not neccesarily bo) used in martial arts so any of the current staves would work (while the currently existing Scythe skins for staves would make the dreams of those missing the Dervish come true).

Melee staff fits this game’s Thief way more than Greatsword. Did you see the size of those greatswords? There is no way to be sneaky when wielding them.

That’s also the reason I’ve always though melee Scepter would fit Thieves over the Mace when it has been sugested as a small blunt weapon.

(edited by Lokheit.7943)

Martial Staff

in Thief

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

Staffs fit perfectly fine – if Elementalist and Necromancer can use Daggers for casting properties, then what’s the problem with a Thief using a Staff just to smack things over the head? It befits the Thief ethos of improvisation even more, in my view.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

Martial Staff

in Thief

Duke Blackrose.4981

Staffs fit perfectly fine – if Elementalist and Necromancer can use Daggers for casting properties, then what’s the problem with a Thief using a Staff just to smack things over the head? It befits the Thief ethos of improvisation even more, in my view.

Aye, and Thieves already use Staves and Scepters as stolen items.

Martial Staff

in Thief

Daecollo.9578

Skill 1 Chain
Swipe – Hit your foe with the staff again, gaing endurance.
Evasive Swing – Evade while doing a massive swing.

Skill 2 -
Rush (3 Initiative.)
Gain Fury. (10s)
Gain Swiftness. (10s)
Gain (1) Might. (10s)
Shadow Trail 10s (This is just a particle effect.)

Skill 3 -
Shadowy Spin (4 Initiative.)
High damage melee spin attack.

Skill 4 -
Shadowy Strike (5 Initiative.)
Teleport to your target and push him back. (5 Initiative.)

Skill 5:
Cobra Stance (6 Initiative.)
A block attack, reflects projectiles.
If you block, you hit and gain initiative.

Martial Staff

in Thief

Posted by: Brassnautilus.2941

Brassnautilus.2941

i like daecollo’s proposal better.
basically making staff a melee mobility option, with a bit of defensive abilities mixed in.

One that i’d disagree is his skill2, making it too much like guardian empowering. How about a closer skill? something like elementalists’ magnetic grasp and leap? Make it blind, then shadowstep to blinded target…

To be honest though….
There were 2 catagories of “martial staff”. There were the heavy type, used as blunt armor piercing weapons, fully metal to carry the weight, and used much like a mace or flail. Then there were the wooden ones used by shaolin monks, for a completely different purpose. They used them because monks were supposed to be forgiving, a sort of merciful weapon.
Neither really appropriate for a thief/assasin type of profession. On that note, guardians in the game use their staff like casters, they weren’t really “martial staves”, and if they were, it would work a lot like a maul, ie. the first type listed above.

Martial Staff

in Thief

Lokheit.7943

Skill 1 Chain

Skill 2 -
Rush (3 Initiative.)
Gain Fury. (10s)
Gain Swiftness. (10s)
Gain (1) Might. (10s)

Skill 3 -

Skill 4 -

Skill 5:

Please Daecollo, stop with all those OP ideas you’re making. This time it’s a bit more balanced than your usual proposals (though you didn’t post what exactly “massive swing” and “high damage” means but in your standards it’s usually really high) and the “feeling” you want to gain with the weapon set is good, except for these 2 skills (just 40% of the skill bar this time):

- 10 seconds Fury and Swiftness for 3 initiative? Really? You can basically have 2 of the most wanted boons during the entire fight with zero effort and close to zero cost of resources. Aditionally (this is just mechanic related, obviously not balance related) that “particle” effect makes no sense as the boons can be extended (or shortened) and the timing would be different with the boons so it would be misleading for you and for your opponents.

- Spammable ranged push that teleports you to target location. If it were a melee skill it would be ok, but you can basically drive your opponent in the direction you want with this. Unless the reason you’re puting 2 5*initiative costs isn’t a typo as I believe given how it isn’t explained and it’s first a melee hit that “tags” the target and then the second phase costs aditional 5 initiative to teleport and push.

Teleport+Push+Spamability is just too much. It makes you a driver and your target the vehicle. Something like melee range only cripple + push would be better and not OP (in fact that’s close to what I sugested to a possible Pistol/Sword dual skill). This way you can’t drive your target around the area as either him or you would need to get close to the other.

It’s not my intention to make this a personal attack (I know when I write in english some times I sound ruder than what I want) or anything like that, I’m trying to be constructive. I’m telling you because the more OP ideas you sugest, the less seriously others will take anything that comes from your mind even if it’s good (the overal feeling of the set is good but those 2 skills are way too much). For the sake of your credibility take in consideration how everything works together before sugesting because most times all your ideas have hundreds of ways to exploit to extreme OPness. It’s like most times you look too much for the “awesomeness” feeling of the weapon (everyone would love to feel awesome with any weapon set) and not at all for the “balance” (sadly super awesome most times isn’t balanced).

(edited by Lokheit.7943)

Martial Staff

in Thief

Daecollo.9578

Skill 1 Chain

Skill 2 -
Rush (3 Initiative.)
Gain Fury. (10s)
Gain Swiftness. (10s)
Gain (1) Might. (10s)

Skill 3 -

Skill 4 -

Skill 5:

Please Daecollo, stop with all those OP ideas you’re making. This time it’s a bit more balanced than your usual proposals (though you didn’t post what exactly “massive swing” and “high damage” means but in your standards it’s usually really high) and the “feeling” you want to gain with the weapon set is good, except for these 2 skills (just 40% of the skill bar this time):

- 10 seconds Fury and Swiftness for 3 initiative? Really? You can basically have 2 of the most wanted boons during the entire fight with zero effort and close to zero cost of resources. Aditionally (this is just mechanic related, obviously not balance related) that “particle” effect makes no sense as the boons can be extended (or shortened) and the timing would be different with the boons so it would be misleading for you and for your opponents.

- Spammable ranged push that teleports you to target location. If it were a melee skill it would be ok, but you can basically drive your opponent in the direction you want with this. Unless the reason you’re puting 2 5*initiative costs isn’t a typo as I believe given how it isn’t explained and it’s first a melee hit that “tags” the target and then the second phase costs aditional 5 initiative to teleport and push.

Teleport+Push+Spamability is just too much. It makes you a driver and your target the vehicle. Something like melee range only cripple + push would be better and not OP (in fact that’s close to what I sugested to a possible Pistol/Sword dual skill). This way you can’t drive your target around the area as either him or you would need to get close to the other.

It’s not my intention to make this a personal attack (I know when I write in english some times I sound ruder than what I want) or anything like that, I’m trying to be constructive. I’m telling you because the more OP ideas you sugest, the less seriously others will take anything that comes from your mind even if it’s good (the overal feeling of the set is good but those 2 skills are way too much). For the sake of your credibility take in consideration how everything works together before sugesting because most times all your ideas have hundreds of ways to exploit to extreme OPness. It’s like most times you look too much for the “awesomeness” feeling of the weapon (everyone would love to feel awesome with any weapon set) and not at all for the “balance” (sadly super awesome most times isn’t balanced).

The Shadow Kick would be low damage “knock-back” it is spammable, but its not a knock-down, the people getting knocked back do not lose control of there characters for long, its mostly just an interrupt.

The Spin attack is high damage + Evade, but it has low range, so you have to be in your enemies face. It also slows you down as well like the guardian’s spin does.

The rush ability needs adjusting, maybe “Cure a condition, small heal, give 4 fury/swiftness?” its more of an ability that lets you stay in the fight.

Cobra Stance is just cool, we need a tanky type weapon.

Martial Staff

in Thief

Duke Blackrose.4981

The Shadow Kick would be low damage “knock-back” it is spammable, but its not a knock-down, the people getting knocked back do not lose control of there characters for long, its mostly just an interrupt.

The Spin attack is high damage, but it has low range, so you have to be in your enemies face.

The rush ability needs adjusting, maybe “Cure a condition, small heal, give 4 fury/swiftness?” its more of an ability that lets you stay in the fight.

I just fail to see how a generic spin attack, Cobra Stance (which is less interesting than the same move that can be activated a second time to grant AoE aegis), a gap closer that immediately recreates the gap (in other words pointless), and a ridiculously op perma fury/might/swiftness gap closer is at all better conceptually than what I put forth.

Martial Staff

in Thief

Daecollo.9578

The Spin attack is high damage, but it has low range, so you have to be in your enemies face.

I just fail to see how a generic spin attack, Cobra Stance (which is less interesting than the same move that can be activated a second time to grant AoE aegis), a gap closer that immediately recreates the gap (in other words pointless), and a ridiculously op perma fury/might/swiftness gap closer is at all better conceptually than what I put forth.

Uh, its not really OP, its only 3-4 seconds. Since you quoted that link.
I was thinking more “Sith Assassin” style staff. With magic/melee. Maybe Life-taping attacks and kicks.

“Swiftness/Fury = Sustained Damage.”
“Healing some how, maybe via attacks.”
“High Mobility, No Stealth.”

Martial Staff

in Thief

Duke Blackrose.4981

Uh, its not really OP, its only 3-4 seconds. Since you quoted that link.
I was thinking more “Sith Assassin” style staff. With magic/melee. Maybe Life-taping attacks and kicks.

“Swiftness/Fury = Sustained Damage.”
“Healing some how, maybe via attacks.”
“High Mobility, No Stealth.”

Your original link stated that the skill gave 10 seconds of each, which on a 3 initiative skill is ridiculous. Hell, it might be ridiculous on a 6 initiative skill. And frankly, I find broken English to be a chore to sift through.

Balance aside, I still fail to see why your concept is much different from what we already have. It’s just not all that interesting.

Martial Staff

in Thief

Daecollo.9578

(3int.) 2 – Powers up your staff, your next attack steals life. (Mid-Damage.) (instant.)
(5int.) 3 – Shadowy Whirl: Spins and Evades. (High Damage.) (1¾ second channel.)
(4int.) 4 – Shadow Kick: Teleports to kick back. (Low Damage.) (instant.)
(6int.) 5 – Meditation: Cures three conditions. (1 second cast time.)

Shadowy Whirl only evades for the first ¾ seconds of the channel.
Meditation only takes initiative after you cure the three conditions.
Shadow Kick teleports then kicks, it can be evaded.

Martial Staff

in Thief

Lokheit.7943

5 initative to cure 3 conditions is way tooooooooo good. And the second skill is something you don’t get on weapon skills, only utilities or traits/sigils/runes so it breaks how the game works.

With kick back you still mean push? If it still means a push, no matter if it interrupts or not, it’s op, no spammable skill in the game should allow you to continuously move an opponent at will. Guardians have to sacrifice a long recharge weapon skill and an utility to get that effect in a combo.

Martial Staff

in Thief

Daecollo.9578

5 initative to cure 3 conditions is way tooooooooo good. And the second skill is something you don’t get on weapon skills, only utilities or traits/sigils/runes so it breaks how the game works.

With kick back you still mean push? If it still means a push, no matter if it interrupts or not, it’s op, no spammable skill in the game should allow you to continuously move an opponent at will. Guardians have to sacrifice a long recharge weapon skill and an utility to get that effect in a combo.

Could be a block, then if you block it kicks back.. Could also be comboed so it could not be spammed.

Martial Staff

in Thief

Posted by: Discordia.7293

Discordia.7293

No no no. The thief needs a whip as a weapon in the main hand, 600 of range, with CC’ skills pulling and throwing enemies

Thief rank 80 – I hate overpower condition duration in wvw.

Martial Staff

in Thief

Daecollo.9578

No no no. The thief needs a whip as a weapon in the main hand, 600 of range, with CC’ skills pulling and throwing enemies

Sounds more like a ranger weapon.

Martial Staff

in Thief

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

The problem with giving thief a weapon that has Knockdown, knockbacks and pulls is the capacity the thief have to abuse those CC by chaining it with ini regen.
Knockback – pull – Roll for iniative – pull – knockback…
I doubt any weapon will get more CC than what PW or BP does currently.
Any forms of harder CC are probably going to be stealth triggered skills, such as the ones with sword, in this way they have a CD of sorts (revealed debuff).

The idea of a martial staff is nice, anyway… Would be fun to have a weapon with more blocks/evades and leap, making it a good choice for tank/control (since blind dont work on bosses). the stealth skill could be the knockback/knockdown.

Martial Staff

in Thief

Posted by: Doomdesire.9365

Doomdesire.9365

Theres just something about CC on an initiative and autoattack system that would ruin the enjoyability of people.

Already enough CC spam in this game, imo.

Martial Staff

in Thief

Posted by: randomfightfan.4091

randomfightfan.4091

came in here with an open mind but expecting it to be bad, was intrigued by the end. Well done. Clearly not balanced but sounds cool for sure. Wouldn’t be for me but I can see others loving it.

Check out my page for some good thiefisms :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/randomfightfan/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Martial Staff

in Thief

Posted by: Kerishan.8460

Kerishan.8460

Would be awesome, but…you know…ANet don’t implement this.

Martial Staff

in Thief

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Definitely in support of this – thieves could do with a 2 handed melee weapon.

In fact the one thing that bothers me most about thieves is their weapon sets – I don’t particularly like any of them outside of two skills – PW and unload.

One of the staff skills should be the spinning leap 2 you get with an oakheart branch.

A second skill could be the overhead strike with the metal bars you can pick up in the game.

Edit: In fact, as of right now I’m thoroughly bored of the thief – this weapon set would be the only thing keeping me from deleting my thief character.

(edited by Curunen.8729)

Martial Staff

in Thief

Lokheit.7943

Sounds more like a ranger weapon.

Why not both?

A whip would fit the Ranger and the Thief. The first one in a beastmaster way and the second one in an Indiana Jones way. It would even fit the Necro in a S&M way. 3 professions would be enough to implement a weapon.

Even if they don’t implement whips it could even be done giving us a Scepter and giving it a shadow whip particle effect similar to Eles lightning whip.

The Thief has too few weapons, specially for a “weapon swap” profession. Currently Eles have in a single set close to as many weapon skills we have in all our weapon combined. The more weapons we get the better.

Personally I really would like to see off-hand Sword and Rifle first, but melee Staff is in my wish list too, and I wouldn’t say not to whips and going Castlevania over my enemies.

Definitely in support of this – thieves could do with a 2 handed melee weapon.

In fact IMO the best designed weapon we have is the Shortbow, and probably it’s because it’s 2 handed which means it has everything it needs in its own design without needing to think on what specific weapon combinations will do.

2 handed weapons are a bless for designers because everything you can do with them is included and limited to the weapon.

Martial Staff

in Thief

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

Does it come with a new panda race to?

Martial Staff

in Thief

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

Absolutely, with new ninja stuff even if the Thief has absolutely NOTHING to do with all of that.

(Plus I don’t see my charr using that kind of weapon)

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

Martial Staff

in Thief

Daecollo.9578

Absolutely, with new ninja stuff even if the Thief has absolutely NOTHING to do with all of that.

Arabian Thieves used Staffs.

Martial Staff

in Thief

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

CC on autoattack would be quite OP, considering most classes can’t give themselves stability at will.

Martial Staff

in Thief

Posted by: LordThroat.7890

LordThroat.7890

Sounds like you’re trying to make Monkey King from Heroes of Newerth.

Martial Staff

in Thief

Volrath.1473

thieves use small weapons

Edit: About your vid that is an Assassin, not a thief and double light-sabers are small weapons when concealed, not exactly a long piece of wood…

(edited by Volrath.1473)

Martial Staff

in Thief

Posted by: randomfightfan.4091

randomfightfan.4091

Edit: About your vid that is an Assassin, not a thief and double light-sabers are small weapons when concealed, not exactly a long piece of wood…

dude just read the books from song of ice and fire (game of thrones series). There are many, many thieves who use staves. They do a great job at looking unnoticeable and that’s how they make such great thieves. Granted, they ARE assassins too.

Check out my page for some good thiefisms :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/randomfightfan/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Martial Staff

in Thief

Duke Blackrose.4981

In what way are Guild Wars 2 Thieves not Assassins? Literally the only thing defining them as a “thief” is the profession mechanic which is incredibly tacked on.

Martial Staff

in Thief

Volrath.1473

I’m sorry if i offended you guys in any way.
Dude I didn’t read the books nor will I, My wife has read them all, i read the first one and it was so freaking boring….

Back on topic IN MY HUMBLE OPINION (not fact) staff makes no sense on the Guild Wars 2 Thief profession. If you believe otherwise good lick convincing the devs!

best regards,
Vol

Martial Staff

in Thief

Daecollo.9578

I’m sorry if i offended you guys in any way.
Dude I didn’t read the books nor will I, My wife has read them all, i read the first one and it was so freaking boring….

Back on topic IN MY HUMBLE OPINION (not fact) staff makes no sense on the Guild Wars 2 Thief profession. If you believe otherwise good lick convincing the devs!

best regards,
Vol

Could you back up your opinion with some facts? My uncles wife’s girlfriend’s mom says your opinion makes no sense!

Martial Staff

in Thief

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Martial Staff fits the Thief theme quite well, so I’d love to see it added (I’m sure it would go to some other professions as well).

Martial Staff

in Thief

Posted by: Adaneshade.2409

Adaneshade.2409

I see no reason why every weapon couldn’t be made available to every class with a flavor twist to make them unique to each.

~Shadowkat

Martial Staff

in Thief

Posted by: Rusc.4978

Rusc.4978

I’d be bananas excited to see Thieves get a staff. I’d also be one of the first in line to try it out. The proposals given so far sound they would sync decently well with sword weaponsets, too, which is always nice.

Prosper

Brought to you by ArenaNet. Soon™.

Martial Staff

in Thief

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

I see no reason why every weapon couldn’t be made available to every class with a flavor twist to make them unique to each.

While I’m not at all opposed to this possibility, I’m definitely more interested in seeing all new weapons types trickle in first. The following all need to be in the game at some point:

Martial Staves
Claws/Knuckles
Whips
Tomes
Polearms
Greataxes
Scythes
Sigils

Combat gets a little stale in this game mostly due to how few options there really are for a lot of professions. Each profession should have several more options than it currently does, and at some point the should discuss having 3 sets you can switch between.

Martial Staff

in Thief

Rusc.4978

While I’m not at all opposed to this possibility, I’m definitely more interested in seeing all new weapons types trickle in first. The following all need to be in the game at some point:

Martial Staves
Claws/Knuckles
Whips
Tomes
Polearms
Greataxes
Scythes
Sigils

Combat gets a little stale in this game mostly due to how few options there really are for a lot of professions. Each profession should have several more options than it currently does, and at some point the should discuss having 3 sets you can switch between.

I like the concept here (I’d actually like to see the Dervish class come back, let alone scythes and other weapon options), but I’m actually happy without 3 set-swapping. For one, it would put Eles and Engineers in an awkward spot since they can’t swap weapons at all, so that would need to be taken into account. It would also require a lot of skill or cooldown overhauling, never mind the major shift in how every class acts in combat, and trying to predict the behavior of other players when you have to think about all of their weapon combos.

Not to rain on your parade, but I’m personally okay without that headache.

Prosper

Martial Staff

in Thief

Lokheit.7943

Could you back up your opinion with some facts? My uncles wife’s girlfriend’s mom says your opinion makes no sense!

Wait… your uncle’s wife has a girlfriend? O.o

Martial Staff

in Thief

Posted by: buttski.6135

buttski.6135

i’d kill for staff, rifle and claws!

A day without blood is a day without sunshine.
Desolation

Martial Staff

in Thief

Rusc.4978

If you believe otherwise good lick convincing the devs!

Do you think bad licks could convince them, if they’re done with enough passion?

Prosper