Math on steal cooldown?

Math on steal cooldown?

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

so sad. i think 17.5 was deserved but thats just me. “I” believe it should be 30 secs base . steal really isnt that strong and we dont hav any more than 1500 dmg on it so its not a real killer. even when mug hit for 6k it was only a few QQers bc its was 45 secs. idk

Math on steal cooldown?

in Thief

Posted by: DanH.5879

DanH.5879

Recharge rate means the speed at which it recharges, so it recharges 30% faster not 30% shorter recharge. Think of it this way.

New recharge time = (old time / 1.3) not (old time* 0.7)

i hate you guys so MUCH because of the totally random nerfs you give us each month…
when this will ever end ??? i totally dropped the DA tree now

OT: 100 second recharge skill
50% time reduction = 50sec recharge
+50%faster recharge rate does mean 100/1.5=66.66 seconds

(edited by DanH.5879)

Math on steal cooldown?

in Thief

Posted by: In It To Win It.2315

In It To Win It.2315

so sad. i think 17.5 was deserved but thats just me. “I” believe it should be 30 secs base . steal really isnt that strong and we dont hav any more than 1500 dmg on it so its not a real killer. even when mug hit for 6k it was only a few QQers bc its was 45 secs. idk

I agree that 17.5s seemed fair.

I’m In It To Win It.

Math on steal cooldown?

in Thief

Travlane.5948

no matter how you look at it when saying you give 30% faster recharge rate….most people dont know what the recharge rate is to start with so they arent sure if tis worth it.

Math on steal cooldown?

in Thief

Posted by: In It To Win It.2315

In It To Win It.2315

in its current form I think it mostly isn’t worth it.

I’m In It To Win It.

Math on steal cooldown?

in Thief

Posted by: evilapprentice.6379

evilapprentice.6379

It’s worked the same way since launch. Now they’re claiming that it’s been a problem since Launch, and they’re only now deciding to “fix it”.

This is called backpedaling. it worked a particular way, now they want it to work another way, but instead of just saying that, it’s called an unresolved issue since launch.

Reaaaaal believable. Jeez, you guys can’t even bullkitten competently.

If you’re a thief and haven’t
pre-ordered HOT at this point,
save yourself the money and don’t bother.

Math on steal cooldown?

in Thief

Posted by: Kaon.7192

Kaon.7192

Recharge rate means the speed at which it recharges, so it recharges 30% faster not 30% shorter recharge. Think of it this way.

Why have 2 different ways of calculating cooldown changes in the first place?

Some traits use cooldown reduction and others use recharge speed increase. Cooldown reduction is additive and much more intuitive to calculate, so why not translate all recharge speed increases to cooldown reduction and adjust the numbers accordingly?

God knows we could use some more consistency in this game.

Math on steal cooldown?

in Thief

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

Why are people complaining about buffs? They don’t happen that often, enjoy what you can get.

Math on steal cooldown?

in Thief

Travlane.5948

It’s worked the same way since launch. Now they’re claiming that it’s been a problem since Launch, and they’re only now deciding to “fix it”.

This is called backpedaling. it worked a particular way, now they want it to work another way, but instead of just saying that, it’s called an unresolved issue since launch.

Reaaaaal believable. Jeez, you guys can’t even bullkitten competently.

i know. it was 31.5 secs on the steal with 30 in trickery right? now all the sudden its different even tho the tool tip says its 17.5? so if somethigns changing its bc anet decided it so…not bc of a bug. :P

Math on steal cooldown?

in Thief

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

That is a spectacularly misleading way to handle that. Considering that all other recharge reduction traits and, as of now at least, every tooltip uses a completely different formula.
And even knowing the formula, it’s still convoluted and difficult to perceive.

Math on steal cooldown?

in Thief

Posted by: animalmom.1062

animalmom.1062

I am shocked, shocked I tell you that the way it actually works is worse for thieves than as advertised.

This never happens to us.

Math on steal cooldown?

in Thief

Travlane.5948

That is a spectacularly misleading way to handle that. Considering that all other recharge reduction traits and, as of now at least, every tooltip uses a completely different formula.

the proper more elegant way to do it is just pure % reduction of time. but they dont want steal on 18 seconds tho. that extra 3 is too much lol :P

Math on steal cooldown?

in Thief

Posted by: Nikkle.4013

Nikkle.4013

No, ele arcane works exactly the same and has since release. Recharge rate vs recharge faster. Rate is (time/(1+rate)), faster (time*(1-rate)). Seems straight forward to me.

Math on steal cooldown?

in Thief

evilapprentice.6379

No, ele arcane works exactly the same and has since release. Recharge rate vs recharge faster. Rate is (time/(1+rate)), faster (time*(1-rate)). Seems straight forward to me.

A) No it isn’t. It isn’t straight forward at all. It’s quite the opposite.
B) It’s additionally confusing because up until this patch, it was a cooldown reduction. The more I think about it, the more positive I am when I ran 30 trickery my Steal CD was 32s.

It was a change to the way the math was done, with no notice.

I’d also like to point at that this was all a really complicated way to attempt to convince us that a 1s daze on a Grandmaster trait was “worth it”. Hint, it’s not. Trickery is further plagued by the fact that thieves don’t go conditions (PvP standpoint) because it’s really really easy to mitigate 1 kittening damaging condition. The Skale venom change was a “kitten you”, not a buff.

(edited by evilapprentice.6379)

Math on steal cooldown?

in Thief

Posted by: Softspoken.2410

Softspoken.2410

I’d call it confusing, but honestly it’s been like this for all of those traitlines for a very long time. The tooltips just weren’t always accurate.

Mixing insults with your post is like pooping in a salad.
It’s pretty obvious, and nobody’s impressed.

Math on steal cooldown?

in Thief

Posted by: Fade.7658

Fade.7658

Every time Jon Peters or a dev tells us something, I feel slimy, like when a politician promises you something to get elected.

Math on steal cooldown?

in Thief

evilapprentice.6379

I’d call it confusing, but honestly it’s been like this for all of those traitlines for a very long time. The tooltips just weren’t always accurate.

I’m not talking about the number on the tooltip. I’m talking the Cooldown number that appeared after I used Steal – it was 32s.

Math on steal cooldown?

in Thief

Posted by: Demonts.4593

Demonts.4593

So has the 21.5 second been there all day even tho the tooltip read 17.5? or was it actually 17.5 at one point?

Math on steal cooldown?

in Thief

Demonts.4593

so has the steal recharge been 21.5 seconds all day even tho the tooltip said 17.5? or was it actually 17.5 at one point?

Math on steal cooldown?

in Thief

Posted by: KaiserCX.7103

KaiserCX.7103

So has the 21.5 second been there all day even tho the tooltip read 17.5? or was it actually 17.5 at one point?

They hot-fixed the tool-tip.

Math on steal cooldown?

in Thief

Demonts.4593

so its actually been at 21.5 for the entire post patch? it just said it was at 17.5?

Math on steal cooldown?

in Thief

Posted by: Softspoken.2410

Softspoken.2410

I’m not talking about the number on the tooltip. I’m talking the Cooldown number that appeared after I used Steal – it was 32s.

If you’d like, I could link you to a few discussions publically recorded on the GW2 wiki that would show people discovering the exact details of these recharge rate modifiers as early as January. I’d also point out that Steal’s recharge would have been 34.6~ seconds with 30 in trickery and a base recharge of 45 seconds: I wouldn’t blame you for missing the 3(?) second difference, since the only time you’d see steal’s cooldown on the icon would be if you whiff the skill.

so its actually been at 21.5 for the entire post patch? it just said it was at 17.5?

To my knowledge, it’s been at 21.5. The thread started because people wanted to know why the recharge wasn’t matching the advertised value on the tooltip.

Mixing insults with your post is like pooping in a salad.
It’s pretty obvious, and nobody’s impressed.

Math on steal cooldown?

in Thief

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

Why have 2 different ways of calculating cooldown changes in the first place?

Some traits use cooldown reduction and others use recharge speed increase. Cooldown reduction is additive and much more intuitive to calculate, so why not translate all recharge speed increases to cooldown reduction and adjust the numbers accordingly?

God knows we could use some more consistency in this game.

/agree

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU