New player, New thief...1 month in

in Thief

Posted by: DazLightSox.9627

DazLightSox.9627

Hi, this is my first post in these forums although I do a lot of browsing, I just thought I would chip in with my experiences with my main and only character a mighty thief!!

So I played wow for years on mazrigos server but had taken an hiatus from mmorpg for years before I stumbled across gw2 and thought…“I have a bit of spare time on my hands, let’s see how gw2 plays as a casual player”…I have to say I have not been disappointed so far after roughly a month in the game.

So I first rolled as a necro and got to level 35 ish joined a grp in lfg for AC and was instakicked I was like wuuut the F*** turns out the grp didn’t want a necro because of meta politics which I have yet to understand!

Anyway, so that sickened me a little and I decided to try another profession and without reading up on forums about optimal this or meta that I liked the sound of the thief, so I rerolled a human thief…I have sine reached 80 on my theif and don’t remember ever having as much fun playing any other role in any other game.

I’m currently learning to pvp and have quickly learned to do anything as a thief you need patience,foresight and timing but I have so much fun playing this class and in this way that I find it hard to understand all the QQ and rage posts on these forums but I have yet to reach any kind of level where my opinion wpuld hold any weight.

So just popping I’m to say hi and to introduce myself and my thief Morgan Lightning, I hope to see you in game sometime and maybe to face you in spvp…even if it means I die a lot haha

in Thief

Posted by: Zaerah.1630

Zaerah.1630

You should not worry too much about the negativity on this forum, while it is true that thief has some problems, this place is vicious circle of whine.

(edited by Zaerah.1630)

in Thief

Posted by: Kageseigi.2150

Kageseigi.2150

Welcome to the struggle between the Good Guys Who Wear Black and the rest of the Guild Wars 2 Community :-)

I wish you much success and many victories! I also with you much patience, but not any historical knowledge… or you may find out why many Thieves here are very “annoyed” with their current situation… and you may become disappointed as well :-)

By the way, feel free to join the TEEF Guild.

Suggestions to overhaul the Thief…

* * * Thief Trait Shakeup * * *

(edited by Kageseigi.2150)

in Thief

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Wait untill you actually try to raid, face decent opponents in pvp or try to join teams for tournaments…

See, you quit necro right away when you got kicked from dungeon. Now same thing will happen with thief in raids and pvp teams.

You don’t know the history of the class, you didn’t experience it when it had actually decent win chance vs other classes (given both players were equally skilled). Thief used to be high risk, high reward, now it is high risk 0 reward.
You don’t know that developers been nerfing this class for 3 years straight with barely any buffs (which usually involved spells/traits that nobody would use anyway because they are, no matter buffs, just really bad and useless from design point) and ignored 99% of issues/bugs that been plaguing this class since launch.
You don’t know how badly this class is treated compared to other classes; prime example: engi pull (magnet) and thief pull (scorpion wire) are based on same mechanic, both suffered from same buggy issue that made them unreliable; recently developers fixed engi pull but completely left out thief pull.
Another example: in patch from june this year, devs nerfed withdraw by increasing its CD but patch notes said that withdraw will also receive 10% buff to healing. Well, CD got increased indeed, the healing buff never happend even though it is in patch notes. It has been over 4 months now…
Not to mention: there used to be sd acro build. Acro trait line got nerfed heavily making sd quite unviable in pvp. In HoT every class got new stuff, thief in HoT got trait line that is basically what was taken from acro…. It is like “hey let me break your legs so i can sell you this wheelchair”.

The community is simply sick and tired of it. You will be also, if you play this class long enough and actually realize the differences between classes and how they are being treated.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

(edited by Cynz.9437)

in Thief

Posted by: glenndevis.8327

glenndevis.8327

Play what you enjoy. If you enjoy thief despite it being “weak” compared to other classes then keep playing it.

This is a MMO. Balance patches happen. Sure there will be nerfs but there will, at some point, be buffs as well.

I’ve been a mesmer main since release (thief is my most played alt.) and mesmers used to get nerfs all the time in the past. Pointless nerfs since mesmers weren’t even strong to begin with. Look at them now? They’re prob one of the strongest classes in the game right now.

Same will probably happen with Thief at some point. At release thief was one of the strongest classes in my opinion. They got nerfed… a lot… a bit too much… but don’t be a bandwagoner and jump to the next new OP thing. Play what you enjoy and at some point Thief will get buffs again.

in Thief

Cynz.9437

Yeah let’s wait another 3 years… great perspective~

All is Vain~

in Thief

Posted by: DazLightSox.9627

DazLightSox.9627

@cynz wow I didn’t know that, thanks for the history…I will say I didn’t solely drop necro because of the kick issue it just didn’t feel right for me, thief feels perfect and I will stick it out thick and thin I believe

It’s good to hear from fellow thieves and your saying what I believe to be true in that you play what you enjoy, and I enjoy thief slot, I will keep my fingers crossed for buffs

in Thief

Posted by: Galandil.9641

Galandil.9641

Thief will get buffs again.

Just quoting this part for a question: “again” compared to WHEN?

This class NEVER had any buff. Never. Ever. In. 3. Years. Since. Release.

in Thief

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

Thief will get buffs again.

Just quoting this part for a question: “again” compared to WHEN?

This class NEVER had any buff. Never. Ever. In. 3. Years. Since. Release.

They had one in May or June 2014 – Dagger mainhand only hit one target before.
And some small buffs here and there, like the 200 millisecond evade increase of death blossom.

in Thief

Posted by: Tora.7214

Tora.7214

Imo the reason you were kicked from AC is because ppl still use them as a farming spot so they want high lvled or atleast experienced people

Anyway play what you enjoy, not what is the meta, ne personally i benched my thief for years because i discovered (very late) that I really didnt enjoyed the fragile assassin like gameplay. However after Hot thief as become my main again because i love the new sturdy kungkittenmonk like style of aoe and dodgeing.

About the being kicked issue, i dunno in what “higuera meta circles” that happen but in 3 years i havent once been kicked of a party for playing my “dungeons unpopular” clases; ranger/thief

As for raid, just join a guild, a guild wont kick you.

in Thief

Posted by: Teevell.1684

Teevell.1684

@cynz wow I didn’t know that, thanks for the history…I will say I didn’t solely drop necro because of the kick issue it just didn’t feel right for me, thief feels perfect and I will stick it out thick and thin I believe

It’s good to hear from fellow thieves and your saying what I believe to be true in that you play what you enjoy, and I enjoy thief slot, I will keep my fingers crossed for buffs

Check out the other profession forums. They’re all filled with “Our class is UP/everyone else is OP” threads. Apparently every class sucks and yet is better than all the other ones at the same time.

If you’re not planning on playing this game professionally, then it really doesn’t matter if you want to play something that isn’t the best of the best. In casuals you can make almost anything work with proper skill and effort. Thief does have high skill floor as compared to other classes, but if you enjoy it, keep playing it.

Tarnished Coast

in Thief

Posted by: Galandil.9641

Galandil.9641

They had one in May or June 2014 – Dagger mainhand only hit one target before.

Not true, in the sense that it was not a specific thief buff, they gave 2 targets cleave to the main dagger melee weapon, so it influenced thief as well as necro.

And some small buffs here and there, like the 200 millisecond evade increase of death blossom.

Well…

in Thief

Cynz.9437

There were few tiny buffs but in the big picture of massive buffs to other classes and consistent nerfs to thief class they are meaningless.

Imo the reason you were kicked from AC is because ppl still use them as a farming spot so they want high lvled or atleast experienced people

Anyway play what you enjoy, not what is the meta, ne personally i benched my thief for years because i discovered (very late) that I really didnt enjoyed the fragile assassin like gameplay. However after Hot thief as become my main again because i love the new sturdy kungkittenmonk like style of aoe and dodgeing.

About the being kicked issue, i dunno in what “higuera meta circles” that happen but in 3 years i havent once been kicked of a party for playing my “dungeons unpopular” clases; ranger/thief

As for raid, just join a guild, a guild wont kick you.

No, guild will force him to reroll. That is reality. Raids are supposedly hard content, there will be same elitism crap as we saw in speed runs.

All is Vain~

in Thief

Posted by: Tora.7214

Tora.7214

Should have been more specific: join a “good” guild, one that accept you for the class you play as long you play your role. Not one of those silly wow wannabe guild that only accept the best of the best on their ranks

Best guilds are those that play organized, but that still remember that this is a game, mean to have fun as you play it
With my guild i have done dungeons, high lv fractals, wvw and story content togueter, and I ve yet to find someone that has told me to reroll

in Thief

glenndevis.8327

All i’m saying is that if you like Thief for their playstyle then not being really strong shouldn’t be much of an issue for you. Try to make the best out of it and have fun.

But if you don’t like thief anymore you’re probably one of those people who just play(ed) thief because they were really strong. Then go ahead and play something else. Don’t have to wait.

There’s nothing wrong with either.

And no i’m not tring to justify the countless nerfs that brought thief to the state they are in right now.

Just play what you enjoy, whether it’s the OP class or the class that has the most enjoyable playstyle.

in Thief

Cynz.9437

All i’m saying is that if you like Thief for their playstyle then not being really strong shouldn’t be much of an issue for you. Try to make the best out of it and have fun.

But if you don’t like thief anymore you’re probably one of those people who just play(ed) thief because they were really strong. Then go ahead and play something else. Don’t have to wait.

And no i’m not tring to justify the countless nerfs that brought thief to the state they are in right now.

Just play what you enjoy, whether it’s the OP class or the class that has the most enjoyable playstyle.

If i played class because it was strong i would have rerolled ele 1.5 years ago. Play for fun doesn’t work so well because there is no soloq in this game anymore so you WILL need team if you want to have some fun in pvp (going solo vs premades all day is NOT fun). If thief is bad however no team will want them. Also leagues…. -_-

As far as pve goes, it is same issue. I want to see new content but i won’t be able to if thief is not desired. Frankly the bad class design is denying me to experience game content. Simple as it is. It is like hey if you roll necro you are never allowed to enter zone XY.

If you call being rejected in every aspect of this game fun, then i have to question your understanding of fun.

All is Vain~

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Play what you enjoy but…

Don’t be disappointed to find out that you have to put in more effort to accomplish something than the amount of effort put in by other classes. And that your roles are very limited.

Don’t hold your breath for buffs that will have meaningful changes – you might suffocate and die.

What cynz had said is the reality of things, staying blind to it as long as you can will make the game more enjoyable on the thief.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

(edited by Zero Day.2594)

in Thief

glenndevis.8327

If i played class because it was strong i would have rerolled ele 1.5 years ago. Play for fun doesn’t work so well because there is no soloq in this game anymore so you WILL need team if you want to have some fun in pvp (going solo vs premades all day is NOT fun). If thief is bad however no team will want them. Also leagues…. -_-

As far as pve goes, it is same issue. I want to see new content but i won’t be able to if thief is not desired. Frankly the bad class design is denying me to experience game content. Simple as it is. It is like hey if you roll necro you are never allowed to enter zone XY.

If you call being rejected in every aspect of this game fun, then i have to question your understanding of fun.

I don’t PvP often but I can agree with you on this part. If you want to play seriously and have the most optimal team comp then yes. You’re not going to play thief 90% of the time.

Everything else should be accessible & playable as a thief though. I’ve had no problems at all in the new content in HoT.

And i’m quite sure raids will be able to be completed with a thief too. Sure there will always be elitists who don’ want a thief and yes I also get the feeling thief isn’t going to be the best class for raids.
But i’m sure if you find a nice guild/group they’ll let you play whatever you know how to play, even if its a thief. And you’ll be able to complete the raid without any problems.

And thief isn’t the most desirable class in the game but it’s definately not rejected.
Like I said before, if you enjoy the tief and their playstyle, then you will keep playing it and enjoy it even after nerfs.

I’ve played mesmer when they were in the state thief is in right now, still loved it and enjoyed the kitten out of mesmer. Would it be more fun if mesmer would have been stronger back then? Sure… But I still enjoyed mesmer more than any other class.

All i’m trying to say, play what you enjoy. Whether its the OP class or a certain class you like.

If OP loves playing thief, knows/learns how to play thief and doesn’t mind not being the most desirable class then that’s great for him.

That being said, Thief does need buffs because right now they have nothing special going for them. (both damage and utility/support wise.)