New raid build - thief not useless

in Thief

Posted by: crouze.3078

crouze.3078

Hey there,

The last weeks i did a lot of tinkering to get a solution for a problem that many thief players currently have.
With the current builds that are available for the thief, it is impossible to contribute to raids in any meaningfull way.

So how can i help you wonder!?
Let’s start with what i’ve done the last few weeks.

I started by collecting data of all the skills the thief can choose from in a spreadsheet
(cast time, after cast, initiative cost, damage modifiers and everything else)
A lot of videos had to be recorded to analyze the cast times correctly.
Many golems in the mists had to endure what i threw at them to get damage modifiers as accurate as possible.

But what i have now is a spreadsheet that i can work with to calculate / simulate the dps for any thief build / skill rotation. (I might make it public at one point if i get the time to clean it up)

This allowed me to find the build with the most dps and the results are …. bad.

Trying to fill the DPS or condi slot in a raid when looking at the utility / survivability of other classes resulted in failure.

But fear not. DPS and condition are not the only slots in raids.

We still can take the roll of the tank.

And here is the first draft of what i am using:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQJAWWn0MBFmilOBGOB8PhFqiyLE+gBornCgDY+63+wH-TBCEABFqEMiLBQUK/gU9nj2foNdJAcACe4JAAA-e

The idea is pretty simple: just dodge everything.

Get extra initiative by swapping weapons, evading and stealing

Get extra endurance by swapping weapons, evading and stealing

The rune can easily be changed and is just a placeholder.
With the -20% weapon swap cd you might mess up if you swap to early (cd of sigils)

How to raid:

It’s easy.
Just tank the Vale Guardian at a pillar and dodge against the pillar to keep the movement of the boss to a minimum so your squad can easily hit him.

Here i demonstrate how it would look like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT80hxPi9P8

While tanking, you can miss some dodges on purpose to see how good the healer is.
Depending on that you can use less dodge rolls after his first split so you’re staying close and can deal more damage.

Since it’s pretty late for me, that’s it for now.

Might give an update tomorrow.

in Thief

Posted by: Swiftwynd.1685

Swiftwynd.1685

Daredevil is top physical dps in the game on goreseval.

For what its worth.

in Thief

Posted by: Nephar.3746

Nephar.3746

Dont u think that S/P + Signet of Malice would be better if u want to tank?
Btw i would love to see your calculation cause just watching the vids on internet doesnt seems that we actually lack dps, but support to the raid in terms of unique buffs.

in Thief

Posted by: Petoox.6570

Petoox.6570

Just little thing, why not have warrior/mesmer/revenant tank it, they’ll also help their group with boons.

Also second note, take Shortbow Shortbow instead of Staff Staff because Shortbow evade costs less initiative.

in Thief

Posted by: Trancid.8514

Trancid.8514

Sigh… If another class can do it significantly better, It’s not good enough. Thief is just not good enough right now, it can be in winning groups, but it just means you were a burden to the other 9 players.

in Thief

Posted by: crouze.3078

crouze.3078

Also second note, take Shortbow Shortbow instead of Staff Staff because Shortbow evade costs less initiative.

That’s true. But with staff the thief has at least some DPS and can dodge without getting away from the boss.

Warriors hate it when they start 100 blades and the tank pulls the boss away ~.^

in Thief

Posted by: Tercian.5709

Tercian.5709

So thief class is spam evasion to do raid… lol.

I’ll take pass on this, way to much boring for me.

in Thief

Posted by: Lamuness.3570

Lamuness.3570

So Thief is going to +1 on Raid bosses too?

in Thief

Posted by: racheloflite.6217

racheloflite.6217

I’m just starting to make my ascended gear and this is very disheartening to read, when this game came out I enjoyed my thief as just that a thief as a player and such, now that raids have hit, its looking more and more no different then WoW yes I said it in GW2 forums but unless this game goes back to playing the class as a class and enjoy the fine toon aspect of what PVE is ( player vs Environment ) and not this boss does this so your useless cuz of it, there is no point in playing a thief at all.

in Thief

Posted by: Fhaeris.9237

Fhaeris.9237

For what its worth.

Why?

in Thief

Swiftwynd.1685

For what its worth.

Why?

Assuming others provide the 25 might and fury, which any good comp should, it simply has the highest sustained damage in the game. The rotation is a simple dodge, staff 2, then a full auto chain while you reposition.

This combines a huge list of modifiers and strictly speaking is the highest direct damage build available. Dare devil alone adds 10% 10% and 7% mods. Then you have all the ones from crit strikes and deadly arts.

Staff 2 on a large hitbox is the most initiative efficent damage outside of low health heartseeker. You can also deal damage during situations where most other classes have to stop their damage to either dodge or use cc, since both your xodge and cc skills contribute good damage.

Laslty, invigorating precision transfers your damage into slef sustain making you very durable during a fight even without a healer.

The only reason Heralds appear to have crazy damage is Quickness uptime, but a good chronomancer can time warp every 30 seconds, and a heralds f2 buff can extend that quickness better than the herald using impossible odds, so the thief can have their better base damage buffed even higher with all of the offensive support from others.

Basically, while a thief doesnt bring offensive support, it benefits the most from offensive support provided by others rather than doubling up on say 3 revs or extra warriors or chronos.

(edited by Swiftwynd.1685)

in Thief

Posted by: darianturner.8096

darianturner.8096

I’m really pretty sick with the actitude in the forums.

Yes we’re not the burster killer anymore, still we kill fast and have good control over the combat and nice tools to drop the batle when we want to do it.

I rarely get killed in PvP except when I’m goin crazy and jump in to the big cleave, but that’s my fault. I rarely get killed in 1v1, why? because I didn’t stay in the battle every time, our gameplay isn’t do the brawler job, we are not fighters, we have to play with the envoirment and our tools in order to no get catched and avoid all the dmg that we can. Yes, we have tools, kitten .

About our damage: We still have an absurd toons of damage sources and the best % damage multipliers in the game. Staff it’s insanely epic. Vault/bound kills trash and avoid toons of dmg in raid. Hell… with muy guild I’m the last who dies in Sabetha, and I’m full zerk o_oU.

I’m not goin to say that thief it’s perfect, because it’s not. We have our things, yes. But please, for common sense, stop spreading that word. We. Don’t. Suck. Just need some attention from the devs, but far very faaaaar to be the worst class ingame. The only thing I want it’s devs bring us some form of support like mesmer with alacrity. That’s would be amazing and thief deserve it. Something for the group, but ofc, offensive one.

Yes, thief it’s not for everybody. Yes there are more classes that can match our dmg with less gimmiks and that’s fine.

in Thief

Posted by: Azukas.1426

Azukas.1426

I’m really pretty sick with the actitude in the forums.

Yes we’re not the burster killer anymore, still we kill fast and have good control over the combat and nice tools to drop the batle when we want to do it.

I rarely get killed in PvP except when I’m goin crazy and jump in to the big cleave, but that’s my fault. I rarely get killed in 1v1, why? because I didn’t stay in the battle every time, our gameplay isn’t do the brawler job, we are not fighters, we have to play with the envoirment and our tools in order to no get catched and avoid all the dmg that we can. Yes, we have tools, kitten .

About our damage: We still have an absurd toons of damage sources and the best % damage multipliers in the game. Staff it’s insanely epic. Vault/bound kills trash and avoid toons of dmg in raid. Hell… with muy guild I’m the last who dies in Sabetha, and I’m full zerk o_oU.

I’m not goin to say that thief it’s perfect, because it’s not. We have our things, yes. But please, for common sense, stop spreading that word. We. Don’t. Suck. Just need some attention from the devs, but far very faaaaar to be the worst class ingame. The only thing I want it’s devs bring us some form of support like mesmer with alacrity. That’s would be amazing and thief deserve it. Something for the group, but ofc, offensive one.

Yes, thief it’s not for everybody. Yes there are more classes that can match our dmg with less gimmiks and that’s fine.

Yet you post this below 17 days ago…..

I just want to share some ‘experiences’ I had this weekend…
So, I’m quite new to GW2, I’ve started a month priot to HoT release. I’ve done the 100% map completition with my Necro, it was something good and amazing. I really enjoyed that stuff so much.
I love my necro class, I always played undead/necro/demon classes if it exists. It’s the theme I most liked, maybe because I’m a huge Lovecraft fan, maybe not, who knows? Well anyway, the thing is… after hit 80 and done map completition, I go trought Maguuma, unlocked Reaper and enjoyed soooo much the class and content… before this weekend.
Why? Because I started to do some dungeons/fractals and even in some map events were so many people trying to convince me to reroll my class… because it’s bad and it shouldn’t exist anymore in pve (wtf?).
Ok, I can understand that necros aren’t the best in terms of supporting the team as well as others, so much self sustain and all… but c’mon? My reaper it’s doing things pretty well, dmg it’s quite good and I can even solo a lot of stuff… but I was kicked from 2 dungeons only for being a necro, and in a map event with many few people someone told me that thanks to me, the event it’s slow because necro dmg suck…
The worst thing now is that I started to being worried for my position in Raids. I don’t have a guild for now, but I want to start looking for one this week, but if I that it’s mean to being a necro, I don’t know what to do. I really want to play my reaper on raids, fractals, etc… and not be discriminated for that.
I really have to play a war/guard/ele/mesmer to become more ‘okeish’ for the meta or what?…
I want to belive that this was something accidentally and no represent the community itself, but I don’t know. I did a research on that forums and reddit, and it seems that Necros are most hated class for the community.
Quite sad with the community and all. Sorry for my bad english btw

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/members/darianturner-8096/showposts

in Thief

Posted by: Galandil.9641

Galandil.9641

Assuming others provide the 25 might and fury, which any good comp should, it simply has the highest sustained damage in the game. The rotation is a simple dodge, staff 2, then a full auto chain while you reposition.

This combines a huge list of modifiers and strictly speaking is the highest direct damage build available. Dare devil alone adds 10% 10% and 7% mods. Then you have all the ones from crit strikes and deadly arts.

Staff 2 on a large hitbox is the most initiative efficent damage outside of low health heartseeker. You can also deal damage during situations where most other classes have to stop their damage to either dodge or use cc, since both your xodge and cc skills contribute good damage.

Laslty, invigorating precision transfers your damage into slef sustain making you very durable during a fight even without a healer.

The only reason Heralds appear to have crazy damage is Quickness uptime, but a good chronomancer can time warp every 30 seconds, and a heralds f2 buff can extend that quickness better than the herald using impossible odds, so the thief can have their better base damage buffed even higher with all of the offensive support from others.

Basically, while a thief doesnt bring offensive support, it benefits the most from offensive support provided by others rather than doubling up on say 3 revs or extra warriors or chronos.

Care to expand on this build?

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQFAWn8lCVmilOBGOBkmiFaCbzwpCNXB3gjQtAgIAA-TlRBABXp8DPdAAcBAe4BAQp6PmpEEA-w

I left some parts empty, cause I’m pretty undecided on what to use in order to maximize DPS.

For example, runes, since we are always under might, better to use Strength (+5% dmg with 100% uptime), Scholar or Daredevil?
Sigil: Fire + Air or Air + Force?
2nd weapon set?

Thank you in advance.

in Thief

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

Mesmer tank does the same thing while giving the melee train 100% quickness and 90% alacrity uptime on top of tons of boons.

in Thief

Swiftwynd.1685

Care to expand on this build?

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQFAWn8lCVmilOBGOBkmiFaCbzwpCNXB3gjQtAgIAA-TlRBABXp8DPdAAcBAe4BAQp6PmpEEA-w

I left some parts empty, cause I’m pretty undecided on what to use in order to maximize DPS.

For example, runes, since we are always under might, better to use Strength (+5% dmg with 100% uptime), Scholar or Daredevil?
Sigil: Fire + Air or Air + Force?
2nd weapon set?

Thank you in advance.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQFAWn8lCVmiNOBGOBkmiFaCbLPNcqQzVwN4IULAMhiAA-ThRBABXp8DPdAAcBAe4BAQp6PmpEEA-e

For goreseval you want dagger mainhand for off set to spam heartseaker sub 25% health. Force and air for max damage still. Off hand is up to you.

Dagger pistol would be decent if additional mobility is needed on fights.

For gores fight you are perma revealed so revealed power is always active.

The goal is to try to stay full health and avoid the stuns to keep your damage flowing. Its hard because his animations dont appear to synch up well with the actual damage. Im still working on improving with my dodges.

Assuming you dont have to time the dodge, your normal rotation is dosge, staff 2, auto chain while you move into next dodge position. Landing the dodge takes some getting used to.

If you have your dodge buff going, and your boss is stunned like after breaking gore’s breakbar, spam the crap out of 2 to burn through your initiative since he will be moved shortly after, then use auto chain and fist flurry as fillers. Or use fist flurry and impact strike to help with breakbar.

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

The problem isn’t trying to fulfill a role, be it condi/phys dps or now a tank.

The problem is, why would I bring a thief over another class that can fulfill that role plus more.

For instance, I could just bring a necro running:

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Reaper_Tank

Which should produce either the same or more damage (let’s just talk damage and ignore other things), and I say more due to the stat choice for gear. Hell, swap out blood magic like suggested, and get the “Death Perception”http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Death_Perception trait so I can have a free +50% crit chance in shroud – making me a tank that DOES damage…

Oh and I won’t haven to worry too much about timing dodges to avoid damage, I will just eat it all at leisure…

So, why would I bring a thief over a necro as a tank. And that just comparing it to one prof… There’s a couple other profs out there that can tank…

Like wise, condi DPS → why not bring an engie,
Phys DPS → why not bring a rev… or a necro…

Sure, you can beat a raid with a thief, but why not bring a different class that will make your life easier?

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

(edited by Zero Day.2594)

in Thief

Posted by: Fhaeris.9237

Fhaeris.9237

For what its worth.

Why?

Thanks for the infos, I’ll keep them in mind when I’ll get to that boss.

in Thief

Galandil.9641

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQFAWn8lCVmiNOBGOBkmiFaCbLPNcqQzVwN4IULAMhiAA-ThRBABXp8DPdAAcBAe4BAQp6PmpEEA-e

For goreseval you want dagger mainhand for off set to spam heartseaker sub 25% health. Force and air for max damage still. Off hand is up to you.

Dagger pistol would be decent if additional mobility is needed on fights.

For gores fight you are perma revealed so revealed power is always active.

The goal is to try to stay full health and avoid the stuns to keep your damage flowing. Its hard because his animations dont appear to synch up well with the actual damage. Im still working on improving with my dodges.

Assuming you dont have to time the dodge, your normal rotation is dosge, staff 2, auto chain while you move into next dodge position. Landing the dodge takes some getting used to.

If you have your dodge buff going, and your boss is stunned like after breaking gore’s breakbar, spam the crap out of 2 to burn through your initiative since he will be moved shortly after, then use auto chain and fist flurry as fillers. Or use fist flurry and impact strike to help with breakbar.

Ty for the infos. Just a quick question, after looking at some videos of Gorseval, it seems to me that the revealed debuff is active only during the first 25% of the combat, after that no one has any revealed debuff active.

Am I missing something about that?

in Thief

Posted by: perry.9645

perry.9645

how to tank as thief: Invigorating precision

/thread

in Thief

Swiftwynd.1685

The problem isn’t trying to fulfill a role, be it condi/phys dps or now a tank.

The problem is, why would I bring a thief over another class that can fulfill that role plus more.

For instance, I could just bring a necro running:

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Reaper_Tank

Which should produce either the same or more damage (let’s just talk damage and ignore other things), and I say more due to the stat choice for gear. Hell, swap out blood magic like suggested, and get the “Death Perception”http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Death_Perception trait so I can have a free +50% crit chance in shroud – making me a tank that DOES damage…

Oh and I won’t haven to worry too much about timing dodges to avoid damage, I will just eat it all at leisure…

So, why would I bring a thief over a necro as a tank. And that just comparing it to one prof… There’s a couple other profs out there that can tank…

Like wise, condi DPS -> why not bring an engie,
Phys DPS -> why not bring a rev… or a necro…

Sure, you can beat a raid with a thief, but why not bring a different class that will make your life easier?

Simple, and I dont see how you dont understand it?

Thief simply is the BEST damage in the game when you stack OTHER people’s offensive support onto it. It is best in slot for a pure damage role, pure and simple, end of story.

Goreseval is a straight up dps race. You need to maximize your damage potential to stand a chance at winning. Horribly designed fight in my opinion due to that, but thats the truth of the matter.

If you already have your supportive elements met (ie enough might stacking, Fury stacking, Warrior’s banners, and Rev’s Ferocity buff, and Druid’s offensive buffs/spirits/spotter etc) then there is NO REASON to stack additional classes of the same role.

While thief is not offering “anything” other than damage, that is fine, because it will USE all of the afformentioned damage multipliers better than anyone else.

The only damage multipler than is a bit substandard on thief is Alacrity, while hopefully the devs will eventually address.

That said, as a power damage daredevil, you wouldn’t want to stack a ton of them UNLESS the aforementioned offensive support elements are in place. Further more, their best damage is in melee range, meaning they wont take the slot of needed ranged damage roles, e.g. staff elementalist/tempest.

The only reason Revenants appear to do such high damage is that they have a strong auto attack and self-supplied quickness and might stacking, but if you apply all that quickness and might to your Daredevil he will vastly outperform the Rev.

Its a concept of “Enablers” and “Users.” Some classes provide outstanding offensive support, think of your traditional bard in an MMO, but without a sufficiently “selfish” dps class to take full advantage of it, the bard’s offensive support is less valuable.

Simply put, no class will “add more total damage to the raid” than a Daredevil if your offensive support needs are sufficiently met.

in Thief

Swiftwynd.1685

For example, a good “meta” style group would include:
1 Chronomancer Tank in Commander gear (hands down the most efficient use of role imo, I’ve played with our raid leader who always uses this)

1 form of healing, ideally Druid for offensive buffs, or alternatively a Tempest who is mostly damage speced but can provide permanent vigor/regen/protection to make it that much easier for screw ups. Tempests can easily double as healer and might/fury stacker for a group while dealing good damage, and also a good candidate for using Commander gear to have 100% might/fury duration with maybe some Rev’s F2 support.

8 slots remaining to fill any needed roles.

One of the 8 should be a PS Warrior, and perhaps one or at most 2 of the remaining 7 should be Heralds.

This leaves 6 slots for “damage” of any sort, which some need to be Condi, but really no more than 3 just to deal with the initial boss’s condi red split.

So that leaves us with 3 spots remaining for pure damage. We have our druid buffs, warrior buffs, chrono buffs, and our Heralds to extend timewarp Quickness etc, so the remaining people need to contribute as much damage as possible.

You could potentially run multiple offensive groups, with each group having the following:

1 Berserker (actually exceptionally strong condi option now while still bringing the aforementioned support)
1 Herald
1 Chronomancer
1 Daredevil
1 Druid

That would give you probably the most “ideal” upkeep of Might, Fury, and Quickness along with the 5 members of each group having their druid/warrior specific buffs.

Sub out one daredevil if needed for a staff Tempest to deal ranged damage if mechanics require, such as the orbs that need to be ranged down on Gore. Druid also provides ranged damage as needed even while being the healer, and nothing says that you couldnt go Dual Pistol on Daredevil if really in a bind for more damage.

Two burnzerkers could probably provide all the condi damage you need for red phase of first fight, but then they arent doing PS might stacking, so you’d need to get the might else where.

Long story short, a raid should ideally have a place for one to two top DPS Daredevils in most set ups.

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

@Swiftwynd

Yeah, I will wait till a dps meter can show that.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Ensign.2189

You’d bring a thief if you have players that you want to play with that are unable to play a different class – not everyone can pick up and play an engineer effectively on demand. Sure, it’s weaker than the alternatives, but not so much worse that you’d want one of those alternatives played badly over a decent enough thief.

Or, more realistically, you bring a thief because you have some delusion that thief is a great damage dealer, and without DPS meters there isn’t hard empirical evidence to burst that bubble – so you make decisions based on what you think should happen not what actually happens.

in Thief

Posted by: Rodriguez.8106

Rodriguez.8106

Simply put, no class will “add more total damage to the raid” than a Daredevil if your offensive support needs are sufficiently met.

nice world u are living in… thief most dmg made my day. rev with autoattack makes way more dps just by standing at the boss and do nothing but AA. no matter which buffs are on both classes

in Thief

Posted by: martin.1653

martin.1653

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQJAoYl8MhGnYlTwwJw/EH4ElPLuiuYHnBQD2rrcoIA-TBCBAB7pH4S1f0S5HaKBXa/BAeAA5pBJgTAApAiYkF-e

Why not something like this? Self-healing galore!
- Signet of Malice
- Assassins Reward
- Invigorating precision

in Thief

Swiftwynd.1685

nice world u are living in… thief most dmg made my day. rev with autoattack makes way more dps just by standing at the boss and do nothing but AA. no matter which buffs are on both classes

Sigh … math time!

Revenant Auto Attack chain with the sword is certainly GOOD damage, that cannot be ignored, but with that said, it only appears to be stronger than other class’s options due to the Revenant’s access to Quickness.

Revenant’s entire sword attack chain takes 2.05 seconds for the whole sequence and does a combined total of 226 (0.82) + 355 (0.97) + 330 (0.97) + 110 (0.3) = 1021 (3.06) damage.

Ignoring all other modifiers, this is 498.04 (1.493) Damage per second. The ( ) number is the attack modifier from Weapon and Power.

Looking at Daredevil Staff, we have:

Total Duration: 2.14 (only .09 slower than Rev Sword)
215 (0.55) + 254 (0.65) + 516 (1.32) = 985 (2.52)

So at face value, Revenant’s Sword out performs Daredevil’s staff on the auto attack comparison, fair enough.

But, this is without considering damage modifiers, which we will cover next:

Daredevil Max Damage Raid Build has the following Modifiers:

Daredevil:

• Havoc Master: +7%
  • Staff Master: +10% (condition: endurance not full)
  • Bounding Dodger: 10% (condition: Dodge at least once every 4 seconds) Bonus: Dodge deals SIGNIFICANT damage, but I don’t have exact numbers, can hit10k in raids, which is damage dealt while most other classes have none (Rev can use sword 3 for this though)

Critical Strikes:

• Keen Observer/Flawless Strikes: 5% Crit Chance and 7% Crit Damage (Condition: Health Above 90%)
  • Ferocious Strikes: +10% Crit Damage (Condition: foe is above 50% Health)
  • Practiced Tolerance: 10% Precision converted to Ferocity (+14.27% Crit Damage in full ascended berserker with Signet of Agility, more if running Assassin mixed in)
  • No Quarter: 250 Ferocity (16.66% Crit Damage, although I’d highly recommend running Invigorating Precision, this would be for those super elite Daredevil who can avoid all the damage)

Deadly Arts:

• Expose Weakness: +10% (Condition: Foe has a Condition, aka always)
  • Executioner: 20% bonus damage (Condition: foe below 50%)
  • Mug: Steal gains burst damage and heal, does not interrupt other abilities so pure damage and sustain bonus
  • Revealed Training: Goreseval applies some reveal so this gives 200 power for a time during the fight.

Total Combined Modifiers at a given time: +87.7% (or 29.4% if not considering the increases to Ferocity at a 1:1 ratio and keeping them out of the equation)

Situation 1: Foe above 50%, you are above 90%, and you are using Dodge appropriately, foe has at least 1 condition: 10% * 10% * 7% * (+48% Crit Damage increase, which is = to flat damage increases at 100% Crit, which this build should hit with food/group buffs and the appropriate Assassin trinkets etc) = a total of +87.7% damage modifier if you multiply them together, as they all stack multiplicative.

Crit Damage might be slightly wonky since its a +48% to a base of +150% thats already been increased to 220% via ascended Berserker stats, but even ignoring that, it would still be a 29.4% damage increase even not considering the critical strike damage bonus already in non-crit related modifiers. For crit damage bonuses actual impact, it is increasing the 220% of berserker stats to 268%, which is a 21.9% actual increase in actual damage, which can be multiplied directly with the existing flat bonuses if the build reaches 100% critical hit, which it can.

This leaves us with a grand total damage increase of 57.74% damage against foes over 50% health while we maintain our modifiers.

For foes below 50% but with all other conditions met, you trade out the +10% Crit Damage and gain +20% raw damage modifier.

So: +45.65 base damage and +17.2% damage mod from crit (this is lower now since we lose the +10% crit damage on foes above 50%), for a total of:

+70.7% damage modifiers against low health targets while maintaining our other conditions.

Last but not least, you have Signets for +180 Power/Precision, which Revenants do not have.

Now lets compare Revenant’s damage modifiers:

Shiro:

• Targeted Destruction: +7% Damage (Condition: Foe has Vuln, read ALWAYS)
  • Vicious Lacerations: +10% Damage (Condition: Must be constantly Sword meleeing without interruption, can be lost if forced out of melee or if forced to swap to CC breakbar)
  • Assassin’s Presence: 150 Ferocity to party (10% Crit Damage to 5 people, undeniably solid)
  • Swift Termination: +20% damage to foes below 50%.

Invocation:

• Ferocious Aggression: +7% damage while you have Fury (always essentially)

Herald:

• Elder’s Force: +2% per boon (lets assume Might, Fury, Swiftness, Quickness, Regeneration, and Vigor are maintained with high up time, heck even throw in Protection, so 14% maybe but 10% realistically.

This means assuming the best case:

Above 50% on foe a Herald maintains the following modifiers:
14% * 7% 10% * 7% = 43% base damage modifier and a +10% crit damage mod, increasing Berserker’s 220% to 230%, a +4.5% damage increase, totaling to a grand total of a *49.4% increase in damage.

For targets below 50% health, this increases to:

79% base increase

So with that said, you would be fair to assume that the Revenant has the upper hand, yes?

Wrong.

All of the above is primarily considering purely auto attacking, which the Herald build simply wins over hand a fist by having a much better base auto attack AND better modifiers.

But Auto-attacking is purely the best damage rotation a Herald can do. Daredevils use initiative for the bulk of their damage.

Lets look at the workhorse of the Daredevil’s damage, the attack that makes them the highest DPS in the game on big boned bosses like Goreseval:

Weakening Charge (well, AND Dagger’s Heartseeker sub 25% is a close contender).

Weakening Charge has 822 (2.1) damage dealt over 1/2 a second for 3 initiative.

For comparison, Heartseeker has less damage when a foe is sub 25% (672 (2.0))

So why is Weakening Charge allowed to have such colossal damage potential? Because it is traditionally difficult to land all three hits on a normal hit box, requiring really strong positioning and timing, all of which lowers its actual potential dps.

But no so on big fatty mc fatpants Gorseval. Its exceedingly easy to land all three hits on mr tubby, so you can realize its full damage potential consistently. Heartseeker wins out against a highly mobile smaller body, and thus is still the better “assassination” tool in PvP to keep up with fleeing foes.

For a comparison, one weakening charge can be completed in essentially half a second, with some small after cast delay. That said, it can be used very quickly is the gist of it.

In that time, it can do its 822 (2.1) damage, which when we can compare the Heralds auto attack chain, which is 1021 (3.06) but over 2 seconds to complete.

A Daredevil can easily insert two Weakening Charges in the time it takes a Herald to complete one full non-quickness auto chain, for a total of 1644 (4.2) damage.

This means that, in this scenario, ignoring all modifiers and just base weapons, if a Daredevil could maintain spamming Weakening Charge for ever (hint, it cant) it would be dealing 61% more base damage, and 37% better power/weapon scaling damage.

While a Daredevil certainly CANNOT maintain Weakening Charge spam for ever, it can have a very high up-time on it. The “easiest” rotation is Dodge into foe, Weakening charge, Auto-attack chain while re-positioning, and repeat.

In real numbers, what I’ve seen in a non optimized raid looks something like a 10,000 dodge, 18,000 or higher Weakening Charge hitting three times for 6k, and ending with a 20,000+ ish total auto chain that is admittedly lower than Revs, repeated every 4 seconds.

The only thing that slows down this tempo is running out of dodges, which can be renewed a bit with Channeled Vigor, taking a 3/4 second break in dps to heal to full and recover two dodges.

Now, in burst phases of maximum damage, the rotation becomes Dodge, Weakening Strike x4, dodge, Weakening Strike. This will run the thief out of Initiative and/or Endurance. This is where you fill the damage gap with Fist Flurry (1,625 + 739 + non-critting 1,940 base damage, quite high!) and then auto attacks, or use this time to reposition or deal with a fight’s mechanic. Frontloading 4 Weakening charges into a 4 second time frame, in the un-optimized groups i was in, could still result in 82,000 damage over a 4 to 5 second period, aka around a 20k dps burst. Hint: Gorseval has a stunned phase after breaking his bar when this is a “good idea.”

Unless you need to save Fist Flurry for its Daze on a break bar, of course.

This comes to the final section of why Dare Devil is amazing. It doesn’t have to stop its dps to dodge OR to deal with break bears.

Like i mentioned earlier, if a Herald wishes to deal with a break bar, he can: Glint ult (long cast), Shiro ult (really long cast) or swap to staff and use staff 5 (amazing breakbar, but severely cuts into the damage rotation until they can swap back.)

Daredevil on the other hand simply uses Fist Flurry into Impact Stike, one of his highest damage options, following by the first two hits of Impact Strike and Uppercut, both of which are very quick, gap close slightly, AND do decent damage, and dont impact the thief’s energy mechanics, while Herald’s energy must be expended in some form to use their CC breaks.

And last but not least, Vault. Vault regularly hits for over 22,000 in raids, and is a great tool to reposition yourself while having to be mobile AND do damage. It is far less efficient than Weakening strike, but it has the Evade at the start, is 5 target AoE, and helps you get to places without really sacrificing your dps (so does steal as well, but it has a timer.)

Combine all of these together, with the signet’s free power and precision, with Fist Flurry’s great damage and free daze, with Impact Strikes good damage, Vaults great damage, positioning, and utlity, and the “decent but not best” auto attack damage, and Weakening Charge’s batkittenbananas good damage, and all of the afformentioned modifiers that bring the Daredevil just barely below the Herald’s, and you can quickly see how the Daredevil performs so well as a function “real world” top dps class in the game.

It doesn’t need condition damage build up time. It doesn’t have super heavily stationary dps rotations. It can do its damage while mobile. It can sacrifice some damage to life steal itself to full health constantly to maintain its Scholar and other +90% health buffs, and it just looks SO MUCH COOLER than autoattacking with Rev’s sword :P Fashion Wars 2, amiright?

This is why the Daredevil is the best “all in damage guy” to bring once your other conditions are met.

Have your PS Warrior with banners and might stacking?
Have your Druid with spotter and all their lovely flat damage buffs?
Have a Herald to buff the duration of everyone’s boons while maintaining Fury and adding great dps?
Have a Chrono to tank and maintain Alacrity and Quickness on everyone by combining with the Herald?

Add in the Daredevil to take all those lovely, awesome offensive support options to multiply them into a truly devastating raid DPS. And take a Condi Berserker or Enginee in your second group

EDIT: This is 2am math for me, if ANYTHING is incorrect please correct me, I really dont want to be spreading inaccurate information.

in Thief

Swiftwynd.1685

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQJAoYl8MhGnYlTwwJw/EH4ElPLuiuYHnBQD2rrcoIA-TBCBAB7pH4S1f0S5HaKBXa/BAeAA5pBJgTAApAiYkF-e

Why not something like this? Self-healing galore!
- Signet of Malice
- Assassins Reward
- Invigorating precision

Honestly for a pure damage build Invigorating Precision is more than sufficient.

One 20k Vault and you just healed yourself 3,000 health per target. Hit three targets? you’re full.

in Thief

Galandil.9641

Or, more realistically, you bring a thief because you have some delusion that thief is a great damage dealer, and without DPS meters there isn’t hard empirical evidence to burst that bubble – so you make decisions based on what you think should happen not what actually happens.

If you don’t have empyrical evidence (hard-data) that DPS wise the thief is highest dmg dealer, then you don’t have empyrical evidence of the contrary.

This is basic logic, or is everyone now victim of double-standards?

in Thief

Posted by: BlueDragon.7054

BlueDragon.7054

In real numbers, what I’ve seen in a non optimized raid looks something like a 10,000 dodge, 18,000 or higher Weakening Charge hitting three times for 6k, and ending with a 20,000+ ish total auto chain that is admittedly lower than Revs, repeated every 4 seconds.

And last but not least, Vault. Vault regularly hits for over 22,000 in raids, and is a great tool to reposition yourself while having to be mobile AND do damage. It is far less efficient than Weakening strike, but it has the Evade at the start, is 5 target AoE, and helps you get to places without really sacrificing your dps (so does steal as well, but it has a timer.)

Dare devil damage is good, you are even being really conservative with the damage of the dare devil, unless Gorseval has more thoughness than the vale guardian, I have defeated the Vale guardian, but I have´t tried Goreseval yet, so I don´t know.

In a pug group in the Vale Guardian my dodge hits from 12k to 16k, weakening strike from 8500 to 10200per hit (so like 30600 max) and vault from 26000 to 32000. (those numbers are aproximate, I don´t remember the exact numbers.)

(edited by BlueDragon.7054)

in Thief

Swiftwynd.1685

Dare devil damage is good, you are even being really conservative with the damage of the dare devil, unless Gorseval has more thoughness than the vale guardian, I have defeated the Vale guardian, but I have´t tried Goreseval yet, so I don´t know.

In a pug group in the Vale Guardian my dodge hits from 12k to 16k, weakening strike from 8500 to 10200per hit (so like 30600 max) and vault from 26000 to 32000. (those numbers are aproximate, I don´t remember the exact numbers.)

Exactly. My group was very unoptimized it didnt have a good ps warrior and druid wasnt coordinating his damage buffs for burst phase.

Another thing i forgot to mention is daredevil is the only class in the game that can compress a lot of their damage potential front loaded into a 6 second window if needed, which is perfect for a druid popping all their damage buffs at once along with the chrono.

Two dodges and 5 weakening charges with quickness and full druid buffs is rediculously far and away the best burst dps in the game.

in Thief

BlueDragon.7054

Exactly. My group was very unoptimized it didnt have a good ps warrior and druid wasnt coordinating his damage buffs for burst phase.

Another thing i forgot to mention is daredevil is the only class in the game that can compress a lot of their damage potential front loaded into a 6 second window if needed, which is perfect for a druid popping all their damage buffs at once along with the chrono.

Two dodges and 5 weakening charges with quickness and full druid buffs is rediculously far and away the best burst dps in the game.

Yeah, and the damage can go higher, that damage was using invigorating presition instead of no quarter while the boss was above 50%. I saw in reddit a thief that made 41k vault on vale guardian.

Also unfortunately I didnt have the scholar runes because I used to play solo alot and sometimes with groups that didnt have enough fury before Hot, and I spent all my gold getting the ascended staff(sorry to my squad for not having the max possible damage build).

But even with that we were getting really good times, phase 1 at 6 minutes 50 seconds usually ,with 1 or 2 teleported during that phase sometimes, so we could have done it a little faster . I know it can be done at 7 but 6.50 is not bad.

in Thief

Ensign.2189

EDIT: This is 2am math for me, if ANYTHING is incorrect please correct me, I really dont want to be spreading inaccurate information.

Sure.

First, your auto-chain numbers are off. Revenant sword ratios are 0.85/1.05/1.3 over 0.6/0.75/0.75 seconds, for a total of 3.2 ratio over 2.1 seconds.

Daredevil staff ratios are 0.525/0.55/1.0 over 0.5/0.75/1.0 seconds, for a total of 2.175 ratio over 2.25 seconds.

Staff has a 10% higher base damage than sword which you need to take into account – so by default, revenant sword does ((3.2/2.1)/(2.175*1.1/2.25)-1 = 43% more damage than staff.

The Weakening Charge timing is off as well – it has a 0.5 second wind up, and then a 0.5 second execute time (treated as a channel) for a total of 1.0 seconds per activation. A 2.1 ratio from a 3 hit WC over 1 second is still very good and weaving that in alongside the autoattack gets you closer, but not quite to, the level of the revenant auto-attack.

Also, get the critical damage modifier traits straight. The + critical damage % damage traits (like Flawless Strike) are indeed multiplicative like other +% damage traits (though only on crits) but the ferocity bonuses need to be counted like stat bonuses, and go on top of not just gear and food buffs but also the buffs from banners, Assassin’s Presence, and anything else you might have. They still matter but you can’t simply multiply them through like the other modifiers.

I think you just assume the Bounding Dodger buff is up all the time. It doesn’t really work that way – you can’t keep it up 100% of the time, and dodging to keep it up has to be woven into your rotation and does cost you DPS. You probably want to model it explicitly and not just assume it is up all the time.

in Thief

BlueDragon.7054

Sure.

First, your auto-chain numbers are off. Revenant sword ratios are 0.85/1.05/1.3 over 0.6/0.75/0.75 seconds, for a total of 3.2 ratio over 2.1 seconds.

Daredevil staff ratios are 0.525/0.55/1.0 over 0.5/0.75/1.0 seconds, for a total of 2.175 ratio over 2.25 seconds.

Staff has a 10% higher base damage than sword which you need to take into account – so by default, revenant sword does ((3.2/2.1)/(2.175*1.1/2.25)-1 = 43% more damage than staff.

The Weakening Charge timing is off as well – it has a 0.5 second wind up, and then a 0.5 second execute time (treated as a channel) for a total of 1.0 seconds per activation. A 2.1 ratio from a 3 hit WC over 1 second is still very good and weaving that in alongside the autoattack gets you closer, but not quite to, the level of the revenant auto-attack.

Also, get the critical damage modifier traits straight. The + critical damage % damage traits (like Flawless Strike) are indeed multiplicative like other +% damage traits (though only on crits) but the ferocity bonuses need to be counted like stat bonuses, and go on top of not just gear and food buffs but also the buffs from banners, Assassin’s Presence, and anything else you might have. They still matter but you can’t simply multiply them through like the other modifiers.

I think you just assume the Bounding Dodger buff is up all the time. It doesn’t really work that way – you can’t keep it up 100% of the time, and dodging to keep it up has to be woven into your rotation and does cost you DPS. You probably want to model it explicitly and not just assume it is up all the time.

So Revenant dps is higher even if the dare devil uses no quarter??, I’ m just curious.

But even if the Revenant has a little more dps, the damage of the dare devil isn t as bad as many people believe, may be even unoticeable considering dodges, break bar and that kitten happens sometimes.

in Thief

Ensign.2189

If you don’t have empyrical evidence (hard-data) that DPS wise the thief is highest dmg dealer, then you don’t have empyrical evidence of the contrary.

This is basic logic, or is everyone now victim of double-standards?

There is ample hard evidence from hitting dummies, parsing damage logs and videos, and the like which go on to inform spreadsheet models that support the hypothesis that thief damage is solidly middle of the pack but not anything special. I don’t personally need a DPS meter in a raid to accept that conclusion; there is ample evidence pointing to it, and the differences between classes are large enough that the differences are well outside of expected model error.

If you reject all of that evidence, argue from anecdote, and believe that nothing short of a DPS meter is informative, then yes, you cannot say one way or another which classes are better damage wise – though why that argument is consistently used by people who think thieves do huge damage, as opposed to, say, necromancers or mesmers, is beyond me. As I was saying above, though, this type of thinking is a special kind of stupid that is not worth arguing with.

This isn’t even touching the problems with DPS meter data as a ‘conclusive’ data source about class performance, which is a topic for a separate post if anyone is interested.

in Thief

Ensign.2189

So Revenant dps is higher even if the dare devil uses no quarter??, I’ m just curious.

We’re talking models here. The results of the model depend on the assumptions that go into the model.

If you put both the revenant and the daredevil in the same group (same external buffs), but no external quickness or alacrity, have the daredevil play perfectly (landing 3 hits on every weakening charge, keeping bounding dodger up as much as possible, etc) while the herald simply auto-attacks with a sword and uses no other skills, the daredevil will do more damage than the auto-attacking revenant – I get around 6-7%. You could make both sides dodge a lot and make the daredevil look better, since it deals damage on dodge while the revenant just takes a damage loss. If the revenant can use non-Impossible Odds skills, their damage is nearly identical.

If you give both the revenant and the daredevil quickness, the revenant does a lot more damage than the daredevil – quickness effectively gives both more auto-attacks, and the revenant is better at that. Also, the daredevil needs to dodge to keep damage buffs up, which is not boosted by quickness. Similarly with alacrity – revenant benefits little from alacrity but gets more Frigid Blitzes and Unrelenting Assaults, while the daredevil gets essentially zero.

If the revenant can make use of Impossible Odds it blows the daredevil out of the water – by a good 25-30% more DPS or so.

So which is going to do better in your group? You really have to look at the situation and figure out what sort of model is going to best approximate reality. If there’s no external quickness, the revenant will use IO and blow everyone else’s direct DPS out of the water. If there is permanent external quickness, the two will be closer, but the revenant will still do more damage. If you have to dodge a whole lot and you can’t spend a lot of time on the target, the daredevil will do better – since it has so many built in evades that do pretty good damage. My experience in raids is much closer to the former two cases – the first if there’s not a mesmer tank, the second if there is one – and in those circumstances the revenant is unambiguously better damage-wise, on top of pumping out a ton of boons. In another fight, where there’s more to dodge and I can’t just sit on a boss DPSing with my auto-attack, things could be different.

But even if the Revenant has a little more dps, the damage of the dare devil isn t as bad as many people believe, may be even unoticeable considering dodges, break bar and that kitten happens sometimes.

It is, and it isn’t – 3 revenants pumping IO do comparable damage to 4 daredevils going full bore, and an extra person worth of DPS is not a joke. Even that is nothing compared to the difference between an experienced player performing near peak (say, doing 85-90% of what it says on paper) and someone inexperienced missing their skill rotations, dodging ineffectively, and getting downed. Revenant may not require a whole lot from the pilot but I would take an experienced daredevil over a kitten y revenant any day. Furthermore, raid enrage timers are not so tight that they cannot be done without the best classes with the best builds performed masterfully – even tight DPS checks like Gorseval can be done with tanks and support classes that contribute little DPS, and that’s a much bigger gulf than the one between daredevil and revenant.

So, I mean, look, if you are coming in fresh and picking a class for raids, between daredevil and revenant I would choose revenant every time. It simply has more power and does more than a daredevil. If on the flip side you have thousands of hours on a thief and the alternative is dumping a thousand gold into a revenant that you have to learn to play from scratch…the difference in performance may not be that big a deal. I personally re-rolled to revenant for raids, and do not regret that for a moment because the performance difference is stark – but if my friends list was barren and the only thing I could get to fill in the last slot for a raid was a DPS staff thief, sure, it can do the job well enough, and while I haven’t run with one yet I’ve done plenty of runs with power necros or damage guardians or the like and they certainly haven’t been anchors around the neck of the group.

(edited by Ensign.2189)

in Thief

BlueDragon.7054

We’re talking models here. The results of the model depend on the assumptions that go into the model.

If you put both the revenant and the daredevil in the same group (same external buffs), but no external quickness or alacrity, have the daredevil play perfectly (landing 3 hits on every weakening charge, keeping bounding dodger up as much as possible, etc) while the herald simply auto-attacks with a sword and uses no other skills, the daredevil will do more damage than the auto-attacking revenant – I get around 6-7%. You could make both sides dodge a lot and make the daredevil look better, since it deals damage on dodge while the revenant just takes a damage loss. If the revenant can use non-Impossible Odds skills, their damage is nearly identical.

If you give both the revenant and the daredevil quickness, the revenant does a lot more damage than the daredevil – quickness effectively gives both more auto-attacks, and the revenant is better at that. Also, the daredevil needs to dodge to keep damage buffs up, which is not boosted by quickness. Similarly with alacrity – revenant benefits little from alacrity but gets more Frigid Blitzes and Unrelenting Assaults, while the daredevil gets essentially zero.

If the revenant can make use of Impossible Odds it blows the daredevil out of the water – by a good 25-30% more DPS or so.

So which is going to do better in your group? You really have to look at the situation and figure out what sort of model is going to best approximate reality. If there’s no external quickness, the revenant will use IO and blow everyone else’s direct DPS out of the water. If there is permanent external quickness, the two will be closer, but the revenant will still do more damage. If you have to dodge a whole lot and you can’t spend a lot of time on the target, the daredevil will do better – since it has so many built in evades that do pretty good damage. My experience in raids is much closer to the former two cases – the first if there’s not a mesmer tank, the second if there is one – and in those circumstances the revenant is unambiguously better damage-wise, on top of pumping out a ton of boons. In another fight, where there’s more to dodge and I can’t just sit on a boss DPSing with my auto-attack, things could be different.

It is, and it isn’t – 3 revenants pumping IO do comparable damage to 4 daredevils going full bore, and an extra person worth of DPS is not a joke. Even that is nothing compared to the difference between an experienced player performing near peak (say, doing 85-90% of what it says on paper) and someone inexperienced missing their skill rotations, dodging ineffectively, and getting downed. Revenant may not require a whole lot from the pilot but I would take an experienced daredevil over a kitten y revenant any day. Furthermore, raid enrage timers are not so tight that they cannot be done without the best classes with the best builds performed masterfully – even tight DPS checks like Gorseval can be done with tanks and support classes that contribute little DPS, and that’s a much bigger gulf than the one between daredevil and revenant.

So, I mean, look, if you are coming in fresh and picking a class for raids, between daredevil and revenant I would choose revenant every time. It simply has more power and does more than a daredevil. If on the flip side you have thousands of hours on a thief and the alternative is dumping a thousand gold into a revenant that you have to learn to play from scratch…the difference in performance may not be that big a deal. I personally re-rolled to revenant for raids, and do not regret that for a moment because the performance difference is stark – but if my friends list was barren and the only thing I could get to fill in the last slot for a raid was a DPS staff thief, sure, it can do the job well enough, and while I haven’t run with one yet I’ve done plenty of runs with power necros or damage guardians or the like and they certainly haven’t been anchors around the neck of the group.

Nice, thanks for the information and for you time giving such a complete answer. I think I will keep using the thief for now since I have spent 2437 hours on the thief (considering afk times of course), and gold is really hard for me to get since most of the times I only play pvp sometimes fractals and now raids. It was really difficult for me to get my thief to be 100% ascended, I even had to use my credit card…

in Thief

Swiftwynd.1685

As an update, i know the whole “big numbers doesn’t mean high dps” trope is a thing, but in a more optimized group I was seeing consistent high 30,000 to 36,000 damage per Weakening Charge, and despite what you say it DOES complete faster than once per second, because I can easily fit four into the duration of the dodge buff without it running out. 16k Dodge damage and very strong Vaults as well, though I didnt use them as much.

The thing is, the Rev’s sword 3 is a DPS loss over their auto attacking, so if they are forced to use it often its a loss, while they and every other class does generally have to dodge or move out of some mechanics, ie the blue rocks on VG. Dodging during this time is actually a DPS boost in favor of the Daredevil, who can avoid the hazard and continue their dps rotation.

Whats more, the Daredevil is the only class in the game who can really front load all of their damage to fully take advantage of the Druid’s 15% + 10% limited time bonus damage. Spaming Weakening Charge, with one dodge before and after 4x WC’es, is the maximum burst rotation for DPS in the entire game, bar-none. Quickness improves its animation speed as well, so that is a moot point.

A daredevil using Weakening charge spam with Quickness while being buffed by all those external sources annihilates the damage of the Herald. Pure and simple.

The difficulty is coordinating these bursts of damage, but that is where teamwork comes into play.

The daredevil’s innate mobility options are also very good for covering for the mistakes of other group members, as a quick Vault can position you to get a revive off or get in a lightning aoe in a pinch if absolutely necessary, although others should be doing this.

I pulled my information from the Wiki, so if it is incorrect then it needs to be updated.

in Thief

Ensign.2189

In the spirit of your previous post, the following statements are incorrect:

despite what you say it <Whirling Charge> DOES complete faster than once per second

The thing is, the Rev’s sword 3 is a DPS loss over their auto attacking

Whats more, the Daredevil is the only class in the game who can really front load all of their damage to fully take advantage of the Druid’s 15% + 10% limited time bonus damage.

Spaming Weakening Charge, with one dodge before and after 4x WC’es, is the maximum burst rotation for DPS in the entire game, bar-none.

(Channeling Overload Air is the really obvious counter-example to the previous two assertions)

A daredevil using Weakening charge spam with Quickness while being buffed by all those external sources annihilates the damage of the Herald. Pure and simple.

in Thief

Swiftwynd.1685

In the spirit of your previous post, the following statements are incorrect:

despite what you say it <Whirling Charge> DOES complete faster than once per second

The thing is, the Rev’s sword 3 is a DPS loss over their auto attacking

Whats more, the Daredevil is the only class in the game who can really front load all of their damage to fully take advantage of the Druid’s 15% + 10% limited time bonus damage.

Spaming Weakening Charge, with one dodge before and after 4x WC’es, is the maximum burst rotation for DPS in the entire game, bar-none.

(Channeling Overload Air is the really obvious counter-example to the previous two assertions)

Im not incorrect on the front loading damage. Daredevil is the only class that can break their normal dps rotation by going into a real burn phase to make the most of the buffs while they are up.

Air overload is simply a part of the rotation for tempests with fresh air. Its much harder to coordinate that to synch up with the druids glyph or CAF than a dare devil simply changing their momentum from dodge 2 auto into dodge 2 2 2 2 dodge 2.

in Thief

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

The wrench in the works here is that the staff evades (and weapon evades in general) are not full evades thanks to pre and post cast delays. I routinely get smacked by a stun, dazed or launched when the attack lands or is q’d up. This can be minimized but lag makes complete control near impossible. The thief also doesn’t have a lot of room for mistakes. One miss and a thief can get crushed.

Alternatively, pick a different class that can actually tank, has plenty of room for mistakes and comes with great group buffs.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”