Not looking forward to deadeye

in Thief

Posted by: fluffdragon.1523

fluffdragon.1523

Having seen BogOtter’s video of a demo/beta of Deadeye in the mists lobby (or what looked like it), I really have to say that the new Deadeye elite feels like the antithesis of what I’m looking for in thief.

So it has more stealth, but … to really synergize with the skills, we have to immobilize ourselves, thus crippling our potential and our mobility, on a class that already has way too few means to avoid harm via damage or conditions (or cleanse them) without moving.

I also feel that the use of “apply vulnerability on hit” for the rifle auto-attack just sounds like Daredevil all over again. Bleeding would be too much like pistol, and I would almost prefer to see torment applied to really build on their admittedly lackluster lore of being scary gunslingers who shoot stuff that we don’t want to face in battle. That and it’d give us some interesting shutdown potential by dealing greater damage when targets attempt to close with the sitting duck with a rifle.

In fact, the whole elite just feels like a hodgepodge of suggestions taken from the forums, slapped together, and turned into something very, very disagreeable with what was the original style and gameplay of thief. None of the skills seem terribly new or unique (one is just another shadowstep, another is a revamped version of the escape from pistol/dagger #3, and another is just a lighter version of Unload), and I cannot bring myself to feel that it’s anything different from rifle warrior in aesthetics. It just doesn’t feel like something that came out of thief at all.

Looking through (proposed) skill data, the 1200 / 1500 range toggle with kneeling is going to be a pain, too, since there’s no easy way to tell if you’re in range before you pop Sniper’s Cover.

tl;dr: I picked up thief on a whim back in August 2012 and fell in love with its fast and adaptable gameplay, and Deadeye feels like the opposite of that. It does not appeal to me and I don’t foresee myself using the elite or even trying to unlock it on my thief.

For the curious, the video referenced is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOv-ZxfON7w

in Thief

Posted by: TwiceDead.1963

TwiceDead.1963

Well, you deal with that. Personally I am looking forward to it. Thief doesn’t need more mobility, and I am not at all fussed that they tried doing something opposite of what thieves are usually comfortable with. Gotta admit though, taking away all mobility is a hilarious response on Anet’s part.

Wait’n see. People are going to call it a mess eitherway, because breaking the cycle hasn’t been an option for years.

Deadeye seems like it’s all cheese for now, but… We’ll have to wait’n see.

in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

We can share similar mentalities but ultimately ANet keeps implementing pretty poorly-designed ideas (also see the next mesmer spec). I was really hoping (and tried) to get ANet to consider the more aggressive ranged style of play for its second elite spec that didn’t just involve 1HKO mechanics, but it is what it is.

I think HoT marks the landmark where ANet has pretty much moved in the direction of builds being cheesy gimmicks more than anything else.

in Thief

Posted by: Caeledh.5437

Caeledh.5437

So it has more stealth, but … to really synergize with the skills, we have to immobilize ourselves, thus crippling our potential and our mobility, on a class that already has way too few means to avoid harm via damage or conditions (or cleanse them) without moving.

Few other professions and mobs have the Deadeye’s range. You’ve got a good 300 yards extra on them.

Kneel in that zone.

in Thief

Posted by: Game of Bones.8975

Game of Bones.8975

I’m not looking forward to being on the receiving end.

in Thief

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Long range stealth class… in the right hands this has a high potential for large scale OP in WvW. Probably sucks in PvE though.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in Thief

Posted by: Lithril Ashwalker.6230

Lithril Ashwalker.6230

Few other professions and mobs have the Deadeye’s range. You’ve got a good 300 yards extra on them.

Kneel in that zone.

what OP is getting at is if you arent kneeling and you “think” you are in range to “get in range” and kneel just to find out you still arent in range, what is the point in kneeling just to spam the “dip dip potatoe chip” button for?

IMO i honestly think something needs to be done for the Skill 5 (snipers cover) with the RED RANGE BAR and indicate whether or not youd be in range when using it before you use it…kneel wise…now as i see the range does already say 1500 so it may already be good for the OP.

I however want something like This somehow initiated into the game for the Deadeye class OR a forced FPS combat camera on…i liked how we had to aim for most skills