Patch thoughts from a fellow Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Helterskelter.8490

Helterskelter.8490

I’ll admit, I’m quite a QQer myself when I hear that my favourite profession (even build!) is going to get nerfed. The recent patch almost broke my sensitive little nerdy heart, especially after reading the patch notes.

However, despite the so called ‘nerfs’, I can safely say that the thief is very very strong, OP even. Backstab is still immensely strong, multiple target viability has weakened (considering the profession description said we’re deadly in 1v1, but nothing else, that’s fair), shortbow feels a bit weak but still viable.

I can’t say much on the Condition builds, as I don’t play them. I’m hoping an intelligent (i.e. not a sook) fellow thief may be able to post their understanding on the topic.

I approve of Anet’s balancing choices. Thanks for the 200~ hours of entertainment thus far.

in Thief

Posted by: Undeadkemea.4865

Undeadkemea.4865

Still doesn’t justify the 50% damage decrease on Dancing Dagger to me, could have been PvP only or 25% to 30% damage decrease :P

For the rest, yeah sure, can live with those changes. Just hope they will make the venoms/traps more interesting to use so we actually run something else than deception stuff :P (ok and scorpion wire :P)

in Thief

Helterskelter.8490

Still doesn’t justify the 50% damage decrease on Dancing Dagger to me, could have been PvP only or 25% to 30% damage decrease :P

For the rest, yeah sure, can live with those changes. Just hope they will make the venoms/traps more interesting to use so we actually run something else than deception stuff :P (ok and scorpion wire :P)

Dancing Dagger nerf was a big hit, but I feel like it’s justified by the huge spike damage we can do elsewhere. D/D was just easy-mode 1v2 for Thieves, and I’ll admit that.

A revamp of thief utility should be considered but overall, I’m happy with the thief’s current standing.

in Thief

Posted by: Ivonbeton.6814

Ivonbeton.6814

I don’t. I get that the backstab builds need a nerf, no one would complain about that. But where are the other options we were promised? Everyone was hoping that they would finally make some changes to venoms and change some weaponsets which aren’t D/D.

The changes seem rather pointless really, I can’t see any incentive to change my build from d/d to anything else since it’s still vastly superior.

in Thief

Helterskelter.8490

I don’t. I get that the backstab builds need a nerf, no one would complain about that. But where are the other options we were promised? Everyone was hoping that they would finally make some changes to venoms and change some weaponsets which aren’t D/D.

The changes seem rather pointless really, I can’t see any incentive to change my build from d/d to anything else since it’s still vastly superior.

And that’s where a lot of people’s ‘trust’ in the game die. You ‘hope’ that they’ll change something, such as revamping the skillsets.

They never said they would, they only intended to balance them for now.

in Thief

Ivonbeton.6814

And that’s where a lot of people’s ‘trust’ in the game die. You ‘hope’ that they’ll change something, such as revamping the skillsets.

They actually said they would improve other areas to compensate for the nerf. I’ve been a patient man, but I’m getting tired of being forced into one or two weaponsets or builds just to be effective. That’s nothing like what I would expect from Guild Wars and it’s nothing like how other classes are being played.

I’ve played around with builds on thieves, but in the end you are only kittening yourself if you don’t play it straightforward.

in Thief

Helterskelter.8490

They actually said they would improve other areas to compensate for the nerf. I’ve been a patient man, but I’m getting tired of being forced into one or two weaponsets or builds just to be effective. That’s nothing like what I would expect from Guild Wars and it’s nothing like how other classes are being played.

I’ve played around with builds on thieves, but in the end you are only kittening yourself if you don’t play it straightforward.

I respect your viewpoint but I disagree.

There’s quite a lot of innovative builds that people just look over.

Ever seen a Zerker’s shortbow build centering on Ice Drake Venom and Scorpion Wire (as well as shortbow #3)? It’s crazy. I myself can’t pull it off very well but I have a mate that just wrecks face using exactly that.

in Thief

Ivonbeton.6814

I respect your viewpoint but I disagree.

There’s quite a lot of innovative builds that people just look over.

Ever seen a Zerker’s shortbow build centering on Ice Drake Venom and Scorpion Wire (as well as shortbow #3)? It’s crazy. I myself can’t pull it off very well but I have a mate that just wrecks face using exactly that.

I’m sure you can have a lot of fun in WvW with that, and I’m not saying those are useless builds but I doubt you will do anything in PvE or sPvP. Meanwhile your warrior friend is critting for 5x the damage without actually working for it.

We are a squishy class, why are we so bad at ranged? And why are our supportive skills not getting a buff?

EDIT : maybe if thief had MORE poisons it would actually be worthwile

(edited by Ivonbeton.6814)