Permastealth Trapper?

Permastealth Trapper?

in Thief

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

I have a thief and actually used to main one, but I can’t figure out what killed my necro in WvW. It was a thief, because I was basi’d, and I could see the what looked like traps hitting and could hear the caltrops popping up. I had 30k health and dead in a matter of seconds. Never saw the player once.

First, I didn’t think that type of build could actually destroy 30k health. Second, my combat log showed absolutely nothing.

Is this a classic cheesy permastealth trapper build that hit me? If so, I find it hard to believe I was destroyed like that by a single build alone. Perhaps it was more than one cheese builder?

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

Permastealth Trapper?

in Thief

Posted by: saerni.2584

saerni.2584

How many stacks of bleed did you have on you? Around 10 and it probably was one thief, although I doubt that would eat through 30k hp without you seeing it.

If it was around 20 stacks, probably 2. And again if it was around 30 then most likely 3. Given you saying you died in a matter of seconds that is the most likely in my opinion.

You should show something in your combat log though. That nothing appears is strange.

Northern Shiverpeaks (NSP)
Thief (Daredevil)
Commandant of Pistol-Dagger and Apex Predator

Permastealth Trapper?

in Thief

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

How many stacks of bleed did you have on you? Around 10 and it probably was one thief, although I doubt that would eat through 30k hp without you seeing it.

If it was around 20 stacks, probably 2. And again if it was around 30 then most likely 3. Given you saying you died in a matter of seconds that is the most likely in my opinion.

You should show something in your combat log though. That nothing appears is strange.

I thought that was odd too. Nothing in my logs though. I figured out part of the problem. I was lagging a bit. And only around that thief. I was even in a blob vs blob fight and no lag. The whole ordeal was very fishy to me.

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

Permastealth Trapper?

in Thief

Posted by: Kageseigi.2150

Kageseigi.2150

If the Thief was never visible, I’m curious how Basilisk Venom was applied.

Could it have been Mug in combination with Hidden Thief? If so, he would have to have great timing or positioning, I suppose… unless it allows a Stealthed Thief to do damage on Steal and stay Stealthed… which I was unaware of.

Perhaps it was used with the Ambush trap? But there was no mention of an AI Thief either.

Like I said, I’m quite curious to know how it happened.

Suggestions to overhaul the Thief…

* * * Thief Trait Shakeup * * *

Permastealth Trapper?

in Thief

saerni.2584

There is always the possibility of hacking. People often can only report hackers because they can see them. This kind of hacking would be harder from the player side to detect without being able to see them.

Thief (Daredevil)

Permastealth Trapper?

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

It’s hard to believe that a necro with 30k will die from any trapper Thief (of Thieves) since it’s very easy to thwart such build by simply using the Staff. If you did everything within your power to fight back, then the only possibility is that it’s a hack.

Like I said, it’s not even in a realm of possibility for a trapper Thief to destroy a necro with 30k hp and a staff.

EDIT: Just to throw some numbers. With 10 stacks of bleed, that will deal about 1200 dmg per tick (dpt). With 10 stacks of poison, that will deal about 2000 dpt. Assuming this is the case which also assuming that the Thief has 1650 condition damage, it will take about 10 seconds to down a 30k HP Necro assuming that the Necro is just standing there doing nothing. Since it’s not possible to get 10 stacks of poison from a Trapper build, it will take more than 10s to down a 30k HP Necro — which is plenty of time to fight back and probably even live.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

(edited by Sir Vincent III.1286)

Permastealth Trapper?

in Thief

Posted by: Zelulose.8695

Zelulose.8695

It was better before they made stealth reveal. Trust me you could once before launch a condition assault without ever revealing yourself.

Lucky Leaf, Ángël, Clergyman, Side Kick -Lets make Gw2 a better game

Permastealth Trapper?

in Thief

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

It was better before they made stealth reveal. Trust me you could once before launch a condition assault without ever revealing yourself.

Still can… the Plex variation drops about 20 stacks of a nice variety of condi in a few seconds. Even the reset time is very high so a cleanse or two isn’t an issue.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

Permastealth Trapper?

in Thief

Straegen.2938

Also, I believe Venoms are applied to minions, pets, etc and don’t proc reveal so Ambush and Thieves Guild can actually douse a player with a good bit of condition without ever revealing their real attacker.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

Permastealth Trapper?

in Thief

saerni.2584

True, but if they are pets/summons then that would have shown up on screen and in the combat log.

Thief (Daredevil)

Permastealth Trapper?

in Thief

Straegen.2938

True, but if they are pets/summons then that would have shown up on screen and in the combat log.

They don’t need to use that to drop 20 stacks on someone without coming out of stealth, that is just an optional method to condi someone down.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

Permastealth Trapper?

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Also, I believe Venoms are applied to minions, pets, etc and don’t proc reveal so Ambush and Thieves Guild can actually douse a player with a good bit of condition without ever revealing their real attacker.

That would probably be true only if the summoned Thieves just don’t stand around UNTIL you personally hit someone with an attack. In other words, in order for your summoned Thieves to attack your target and apply conditions from venom is to reveal yourself.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

Permastealth Trapper?

in Thief

Straegen.2938

That would probably be true only if the summoned Thieves just don’t stand around UNTIL you personally hit someone with an attack. In other words, in order for your summoned Thieves to attack your target and apply conditions from venom is to reveal yourself.

Partially true… the minions attack as soon as they or the player is damaged. Damage does not bring the player out of stealth and very enemies won’t attack the pet if that is all they see.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

Permastealth Trapper?

in Thief

Posted by: Perez.1670

Perez.1670

The condi trapper permastealth build is super strong and can destroy targets in seconds if they do not clease immediatly.
However with 30k pool?, idk.
Maybe there was two of them?
But basicly if the trapper plays the build right each tick should be like +8k however the cd is 20s so.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

Permastealth Trapper?

in Thief

saerni.2584

I have never seen a perma stealth trapper thief deal me, or anyone else, an 8k+ tick of damage. I’ve fought only one single thief who used traps, actively with non-perma stealth gameplay, and actually dealt any significant damage.

Again, if the person was hit with basilisk venom then the person must have come out of stealth in some fashion. In that case, assuming he never saw the thief and died very quickly, it seems safe to assume that it was hacking.

Thief (Daredevil)

Permastealth Trapper?

in Thief

Posted by: Link.1049

Link.1049

… activate basilisk, pistol 5 from afar, heartseeker, shadowstep &/or steal. Pistol 3 for the extra blind. Lay traps, dodge, lay trap (gaining stealth), Lay trap, dodge…enemy moves again, move out.

Permastealth Trapper?

in Thief

Posted by: Link.1049

Link.1049

or shadow refuge to eliminate the extra steps with pistol and heartseeker

Permastealth Trapper?

in Thief

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

You realize Basi venom does not work with traps?

Permastealth Trapper?

in Thief

Posted by: yiksing.9432

yiksing.9432

Yup you got smoked by a trapper thief. On my full celestial tempest fully buffed up with 30k, I too died in a few seconds but that’s because I didn’t expect the drop on me as I was chilling at Vale camp roof. The first few seconds was me wondering why all this conditions appear and me looking for an enemy, needless to say by the time I realized what happened I died. After that the thief spend the whole night running from me and my friends so it’s kinda useless trolly build. Now cancer mesmer on the other hand, sure you can run away from one but u will lose a node if they really want to cap a camp or tower. Off course you being necro would be easier but other professions, it’s gg.

Permastealth Trapper?

in Thief

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

I thought that was odd too. Nothing in my logs though. I figured out part of the problem. I was lagging a bit. And only around that thief. I was even in a blob vs blob fight and no lag. The whole ordeal was very fishy to me.

Which tier, and fighting against whom? I’ve seen something like this before, and it turned out to be a hacker.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Permastealth Trapper?

in Thief

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

I can’t speak for you Lone but I will say I had something similar happen to me this past Friday / reset. Was in one of the BL’s when I hear the stealth sounds and was attacked, then moved a bit and saw the trip wire. Insta light up. Moved, heard sound again, same thing. Poof, dead.

I was on my Druid. Support build I recall but it wouldn’t have mattered. NM/BM/Druid staff/lb. Could have been a single thief, or pair just trolling or having fun. I’m pretty sure the thief is running trapper runes and whatever other traits, weapons, sigils, food, or any other bags of tricks to make them 99% perma stealth.

I do know I saw the trip wire – just like you would see on the moss fractal. Two sticks with the string. Beyond that I don’t know, nor did I care. I went back, had it happen again, then moved on. Don’t think I’ve run into them since.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)