[PvP] Help Me Build A Martial Artist

in Thief

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

So.. I could never bring myself to be too interested in core thief or play it very often, but the Daredevil elite spec has me wetting myself in anticipation.

I’ve never created a thief build before, so I don’t have the best idea of trait/skill synergies. I have this idea in mind for a daredevil spec focused almost entirely on what the elite offers, but what traits would I take for a build that:

* Will focus on interrupts

• Uses staff
  • Will use at least 3 physical skills ((including the elite)
  • Will use the leap-finisher dodge.

Any ideas on what traits/runes/sigils and alternate weapon I should be considering? I assumed shortbow/staff.

in Thief

Posted by: Kocoff.7582

Kocoff.7582

my WvW ready-to-wreck build

S/P & Staff

Bandit’s Defense
1st option Infiltrator’s Signet / 2nd Shadow Refuge / or even 3rd RFI
Imparing Daggers

Elite: Impact Strike

DA/ Trickery/ DareD
Sigil of Air and Energy
Sigil of Air and Rage
Runes of Evasion

with Bound.

Blackgate Server [RLR]
Thief – Raiden Hayabusa
Thief – Gouki Kurokawa

in Thief

Posted by: Starlightmagus.8654

Starlightmagus.8654

I’ll post a potential spec meeting these criteria in the thread I started, Potential Specs for Daredevil. Give me a minute.

Edit: And posted. Go check it out!

(edited by Starlightmagus.8654)

in Thief

Posted by: Serious Thought.5394

Serious Thought.5394

Staff seems like it’ll be slow, possibly sword speed slow. Definitely take Quickness, preferably two. Since you want 3 phys, that means haste trait in trickery + staff has sigil of rage. Focus on interrupt would be offhand pistol, since you have leap-dodge then dagger or sword would work- however, sword is slower on autos and is initiative cost heavy. I’d go Staff-D/p. Then again, you need range- P/P.

If you are focusing on interrupts consistently, you will want Valkyrie because pulm does not crit and that means DA and CS will be nearly useless. Trickery is your class line (almost the literal meaning of mandatory traits) and then Daredevil to wield staff. That leaves Acro and SA. IIRC, staff stealth attack is a knockdown, so I’d grab SA. From SA grab stealth removes damaging conditions, steal grants stealth, stealth regens hp/init. Trick would be haste, tricks are faster, and daze on steal. My main concern is that the damage on pulm will be applied AFTER steal grants stealth like mug used to, so you might retrait to regen on stealth. I haven’t looked into Daredevil traits much, but grabbing damage+ after dodging or damage+ when endurance isn’t full would be good. Not sure what all you can grab. But that’s my end of theory crafting.

Staff- P/P (you need range, you are still squishy no matter what stats you take)
SA- Bot, Top/Mid, Mid
Trickery- Mid/Mid/Mid
DD- dmg on dodge or dmg on low endurance, dodge is a leap finisher, pulm?
Valkyrie- Lyssa runes or Adventure runes
Withdrawal, your choice of phys skills, basi or takedown
Staff: Sigil of Rage, Sigil of Intelligence P/P: Sigil of Energy, Sigil of Leeching

That’s my guess right now >.< Hope it works on live…er beta, Sep 4. Will see. Sure there is a ton wrong with it, but I haven’t seen staff in action so… this is my best guess right now. The most wonky build ever XD

Worst Thief in the world, yes I am.

in Thief

Posted by: Lithril Ashwalker.6230

Lithril Ashwalker.6230

Staff seems like it’ll be slow, possibly sword speed slow. Definitely take Quickness, preferably two. Since you want 3 phys, that means haste trait in trickery + staff has sigil of rage. Focus on interrupt would be offhand pistol, since you have leap-dodge then dagger or sword would work- however, sword is slower on autos and is initiative cost heavy. I’d go Staff-D/p. Then again, you need range- P/P.

If you are focusing on interrupts consistently, you will want Valkyrie because pulm does not crit and that means DA and CS will be nearly useless. Trickery is your class line (almost the literal meaning of mandatory traits) and then Daredevil to wield staff. That leaves Acro and SA. IIRC, staff stealth attack is a knockdown, so I’d grab SA. From SA grab stealth removes damaging conditions, steal grants stealth, stealth regens hp/init. Trick would be haste, tricks are faster, and daze on steal. My main concern is that the damage on pulm will be applied AFTER steal grants stealth like mug used to, so you might retrait to regen on stealth. I haven’t looked into Daredevil traits much, but grabbing damage+ after dodging or damage+ when endurance isn’t full would be good. Not sure what all you can grab. But that’s my end of theory crafting.

Staff- P/P (you need range, you are still squishy no matter what stats you take)
SA- Bot, Top/Mid, Mid
Trickery- Mid/Mid/Mid
DD- dmg on dodge or dmg on low endurance, dodge is a leap finisher, pulm?
Valkyrie- Lyssa runes or Adventure runes
Withdrawal, your choice of phys skills, basi or takedown
Staff: Sigil of Rage, Sigil of Intelligence P/P: Sigil of Energy, Sigil of Leeching

That’s my guess right now >.< Hope it works on live…er beta, Sep 4. Will see. Sure there is a ton wrong with it, but I haven’t seen staff in action so… this is my best guess right now. The most wonky build ever XD

no….haste trait on that trait line has a 60 second cooldown which is a waste. also the staff is actually fast, its a half a second for the autoattack chain.

in Thief

Posted by: Serious Thought.5394

Serious Thought.5394

I made my post here before the PoI. I’m still going to run haste for assassination.

Worst Thief in the world, yes I am.

(edited by Serious Thought.5394)

in Thief

Posted by: Nephrite.6954

Nephrite.6954

Lol! Welcome to Thief dude! I love mesmers too but this is why I main thief!
PS: I’m in OMFG n I was in a event once with u.

in Thief

Posted by: Coronit.9432

Coronit.9432

So.. I could never bring myself to be too interested in core thief or play it very often, but the Daredevil elite spec has me wetting myself in anticipation.

I’ve never created a thief build before, so I don’t have the best idea of trait/skill synergies. I have this idea in mind for a daredevil spec focused almost entirely on what the elite offers, but what traits would I take for a build that:

* Will focus on interrupts

• Uses staff
  • Will use at least 3 physical skills ((including the elite)
  • Will use the leap-finisher dodge.

Any ideas on what traits/runes/sigils and alternate weapon I should be considering? I assumed shortbow/staff.

Well, we will see what will be viabel or not, which traitlines work best or whats mandatory, but you want to try an martial arts build so we try ^^

Just some random ideas through. I think you either have to try dealing damage with interrupts OR dodging
Dodge
Interrupt
I´m very skeptical through, but trying out some stuff is always fun ^^
DA and trickery are mandatory in pvp, if you want to use daredevil its difficult to use acrobatic ithout loosing important stuff. And without SA you need the condiremove in daredevil, locking out the damage on interrupt and stuffmaster (lol, meant “staff master”, lets call daredevil STUFFMASTER instead ^^).
IF you use for example daredevil and acrobatic (loosing either DA or trickery) you could use the staff master or impacting disruption, but the condi cleanse with pain respons in acrobatic is really bad :/
I think S/D or S/P are better variants here together with S/B cause of cleansing with skill 2 on backport and cleansing with escapist´s absolution. Using staff you don´t need “don´t stop” in acro through = Maybe more ini or more healing (there are some healing traits, maybe schoolar rune could be interesting).

sigil of air/blood on staff… is that correct? I´m not able to play right now and I heard air/fire got nerfed and blood is the new to go.

Thief for Live – Noc
Pls more Noc-Noc-Jokes…
How to counter Unrelenting Assault… Not anymore :<