Rework "Last Refuge" minor trait

in Thief

Posted by: Tera GX.8149

Tera GX.8149

Use Blinding Powder when your health reaches 25%.

The idea of it is great, but with the way it’s implemented, far more than half the time it ends up being “When your health reaches 25%, receive the Revealed penalty and waste your next Stealth skill.”

While all the stuff revealed in the stream of the upcoming specializations is a work in progress, the Shadow Arts Adept minor trait is still previewed to be an unchanged Last Refuge. This has long needed a change, and now seems to be a really active time for changing such things.

Blinding Powder itself can sometimes be difficult to not wastefully trigger Revealed on, but that can completely be trained and controlled. The single moment of hitting 25% health is an uncontrollable event, and exactly the time you don’t want a self-inflicted penalty and when you most want to reliably land a Stealth.

Lets hear some ideas about either reworking it or what to swap it with, and what ideas work or don’t work.

The smallest change that comes to my mind for preserving its naturally powerful effect is to append “and you cannot be Revealed for the next 1 second”. Mechanically, you still will break stealth if you land an attack. But disabling the Revealed debuff enables your next stealth to activate normally (this may also imply removing an existing Revealed debuff obstructing the trait). It will have no suicidally consequential penalty, but it’ll also have no penalty at all for what is arguably one of the best minor traits (most minor traits are not about penalizing). Don’t forget it has a cooldown that can be increased if deemed relevant.

I like the idea of “Hard to Catch”, but that too doesn’t work as a minor trait for potentially being a source of death instead of helping. So automated shadowsteps aren’t quite an alternative. I’d say “gain vigor and swiftness at 25% health” to turn it into a repositioning thing works. It’s less exciting, but thematically decent and useful.

It doesn’t have to be a trait for survivability, though that is what Shadow Arts is most focused on.

Tera Xenphos of Fort Aspenwood (guildless, deliberately)

in Thief

Posted by: Lucky Shot.7650

Lucky Shot.7650

Suggestion: erase Last Refuge from existance once and for all, give us back Infusion of Shadows as a minor instead.

in Thief

Posted by: Starsurfer.7209

Starsurfer.7209

Suggestion: erase Last Refuge from existance once and for all, give us back Infusion of Shadows as a minor instead.

Another potential suggestion:

Remove the Last Refuge trait and instead put Cloaked in Shadow in it’s place. A replacement would have to be made for the now vacant Grand Master slot, but this suggestion still keeps the whole stealth focused theme of the trait AND doesn’t completely murder the D/D weapon set.

in Thief

Posted by: darres.8203

darres.8203

thieves have been complaining about last refuge since…the dawn of thieves
it’s like they completely overlooked this problem

in Thief

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Well now they could put in smoke screen and help save the thieves from pewpew rangers.

in Thief

Posted by: naphack.9346

naphack.9346

Really, put in infusion of shadows and if the 2 initiative proves too much, just reduce it to 1 initiative upon entering stealth.
Just why does this trait stick around?

The only crime, turrets committed, is being good against the celestial meta.
The mob has spoken and the turrets shall be burnt at the stake.

in Thief

Posted by: WEXXES.2378

WEXXES.2378

Last Refuge: Gain Invulnerability and Resistance for 1 second upon taking lethal damage and use blinding powder. 60s CD.

So now it is a minimum of getting 2 shotted for taking this line.

(edited by WEXXES.2378)

in Thief

naphack.9346

Last Refuge: Gain Invulnerability and Resistance for 1 second upon taking lethal damage and use blinding powder. 60s CD.

Now its useful no matter what situation you are in.

We are thieves, no necromancers…

in Thief

Posted by: LONGA.1652

LONGA.1652

Well it they change last refuge to pop on downed. Concealed defeat might look a lot more nice thing to to have with.

in Thief

naphack.9346

Well it they change last refuge to pop on downed. Concealed defeat might look a lot more nice thing to to have with.

Too op lol
I mean, combine it with concealed defeat and you have a smoke field, which gets blasted for a total of 7 seconds stealth.
Just who is supposed to stomp/dps down a thief, when the thief can just blink somewhere, start rezzing, and even if he gets found, he will still be stealthed for long enough to pop a downstate stealth and blink away again.

in Thief

Posted by: Sheppy.9306

Sheppy.9306

Mesmers decoy ability, which works similar to this, got placed at a threshold of 50%. They should increase this to 50% too, then if you do knock the stealth off and get a revealed debuff you still have enough hp to disengage.

in Thief

Posted by: Duka.5864

Duka.5864

In 2 years i never died because of this trait,reason they don’t change it,is because it doesn’t need to be changed !

in Thief

Posted by: MakubeC.3026

MakubeC.3026

Just make it ignore Revealed.
Fixed.

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

In 2 years i never died because of this trait,reason they don’t change it,is because it doesn’t need to be changed !

Personally never had a problem with it either, though I can see how it can be annoying and can cause death. I guess I should take the first part back, it was a minor nuisance here and there, when I really didn’t want to go into stealth or forgot about the trait, got into stealth because of it, had a damage skill queued, got revealed for 4 seconds – yeah died, but really most of those fights I would have died regardless of that trait. (queued or just spamming a skill silly, trying to get some damage off).

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Tera GX.8149

Sure the threat of it probably varies with playstyle, melee is probably less likely to have an attack mid-flight than projectiles. And I believe the majority of players play with autoattack-1 on.

I’m not too supportive of Cloaked in Shadow as the alternative, applying Blind to something nearby will put you in combat even if you weren’t intending to (unless they consider changing this behavior, but I think the current behavior is appropriate).

Infusion of Shadows on the other hand does make a lot of sense as a replacement, it focuses on two parts of the profession’s core mechanics, so it compliments far more builds. The initiative-on-stealth property wasn’t anywhere in the previewed changes though, so looks like they were considering removing it. It’s of course not too late for it as far as considering changes goes.

in Thief

Posted by: Odyssey.2613

Odyssey.2613

I call B-S.

The dev team has proven they can’t balance a 2×4 on a cinder block.

in Thief

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

Really, put in infusion of shadows and if the 2 initiative proves too much, just reduce it to 1 initiative upon entering stealth.
Just why does this trait stick around?

There’s a middle ground I can stand by.

Last refuge counter’s itself, please address it once and for all. I doesn’t matter if it sometimes works the way it should, the fact that it can and has caused players to reveal themselves should be grounds for removal. No minor trait should have the slightest negative effect.

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

in Thief

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

What if Last Refuge simply bypassed Revealed or removed it before applying stealth?

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

What if Last Refuge simply bypassed Revealed or removed it before applying stealth?

That would be better.

The only nuisance I have with it at times is forgetting about it and during the heat of a fight going into stealth because of it, not realizing/reacting fast enough, and breaking stealth, causing me to get the revealed debuff. And since it triggers at 25% HP it pretty much means that those 3-4 seconds (during which I’m revealed) are very crucial/decisive in terms of survival. Having an unplanned reveal on you…

It could be helpful just adding a “buff” icon for it, that flashes or turns a bright red color (well eye-catching) when you reach 40%/33% to get you prepared that LR is about to pop – that would probably solve my issue/nuisance with it.

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

Have it drop smokescreen. It will protect you, won’t reveal you, and can be leap/blast finished.

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

Have it drop smokescreen. It will protect you, won’t reveal you, and can be leap/blast finished.

Probably the easiest and best version to implement, swap out stealth with smokescreen.

And yeah the leap/blast finisher provides you stealth if needed – by choice. Though I can see this getting QQ’ed about.

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: Lady Minuit.3186

Lady Minuit.3186

What about Last Refuge replaces your Steal ability with Blinding Tuft (skill you get from stealing from thieves), which allow you to use it at the opportune time, plus it would keep the spirit of the trait.

Lady Minuit

in Thief

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

It’s funny that they decided it’s perfectly balanced to let thieves have both panic strike and executioner. Nobody asked for it.
People have been asking for last refuge fix since the trait exists. I think most thieves would even accept the spot it has to be empty than to hilariously kill them so often.

in Thief

Posted by: Odyssey.2613

Odyssey.2613

It’s funny that they decided it’s perfectly balanced to let thieves have both panic strike and executioner. Nobody asked for it.
People have been asking for last refuge fix since the trait exists. I think most thieves would even accept the spot it has to be empty than to hilariously kill them so often.

QFT 1234

The dev team has proven they can’t balance a 2×4 on a cinder block.

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

What about Last Refuge replaces your Steal ability with Blinding Tuft (skill you get from stealing from thieves), which allow you to use it at the opportune time, plus it would keep the spirit of the trait.

Replacing the steal ability with Blinding Tuft could also work. Though in a way that disables Steal – like you could disengage and dip by Stealing to/from a different further target. Plus what happens if you already have a stolen bundle (maybe saving it)?

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

you know the trait it garbage when players would rather have blank space instead of that trait

must be about only defensive trait in entire game that is designed to kill your character instead of helping it lol

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in Thief

Posted by: Kageseigi.2150

Kageseigi.2150

I like this ^

Moving on to more extreme ideas…

(Change)
Last Refuge:
Blinding powder at 20% health threshold.
Reveal does not apply when less than 25% health threshold

(Replace)
Essence of Shadow:
Reveal decreases duration as health decreases.
< 75% health: Reveal lasts 2 seconds
< 50% health: Reveal lasts 1 second
< 25% health: Reveal is immediate with no duration

You could add another tier with 10% being having no Reveal duration. Or changing them to 33% and 66%, etc. That depending on how they want to implement it with pvp compared to the others.

The concept being that a thief becomes closer to becoming a “shade/shadow” as he nears death. While it can be a powerful tool for a thief to stay at low health, it is also an extreme risk. Shadow’s Rejuvenation can also make this more balanced due to the passive healing nature while in stealth, making it difficult for a thief to stay at such a low level of health for an extended duration.

But yeah… just thinking out loud here :-P

Suggestions to overhaul the Thief…

* * * Thief Trait Shakeup * * *

(edited by Kageseigi.2150)

in Thief

naphack.9346

Adding Dhuumfire but not touching Reanimator? Same story

Okay, to be fair, having 5 points in death magic only caused party wipes when fighting Lupicus, while Last Refuge can kill you any time…

in Thief

Posted by: Ghost Bear.5280

Ghost Bear.5280

This stupid, idiotic piece of junk minor trait is infuriating! Fire an arrow, get knocked down to 25% health, while the arrow is still in flight, stealth, the arrow hits, I’m revealed. Same goes for Pistol shots…. and this has happened in the heat of battle COUNTLESS times!

Replace this trait with a line that reads “Out of order” and I’d be happy. Dumbest piece of junk trait in existence! Which one of you designers thought this garbage up? Not someone who plays thief, that’s for sure. Bottom line: NOT FUN.

in Thief

Posted by: MakubeC.3026

MakubeC.3026

(Replace)
Essence of Shadow:
Reveal decreases duration as health decreases.
< 75% health: Reveal lasts 2 seconds
< 50% health: Reveal lasts 1 second
< 25% health: Reveal is immediate with no duration

Really liked this.
But I would lower it more, so its 2 seconds at 50% and 1 second at 25%.

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

As fun as it may be to talk about changing this trait, I doubt the devs are going to listen do it, since if the have/are listening we wouldn’t be here discussing it yet again…

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: Lady Minuit.3186

Lady Minuit.3186

Replacing the steal ability with Blinding Tuft could also work. Though in a way that disables Steal – like you could disengage and dip by Stealing to/from a different further target. Plus what happens if you already have a stolen bundle (maybe saving it)?

Yea that could mean you lose your current stolen ability.

OR, it could stack over it, similar to how the new improvisation will work where you get to use stolen items twice, which mean they have the means to do it.

OR better, the steal ability could always be available, and the items you steal get queued in F2, F3, F4 slots, ready for you to use, or not.

You wouldn’t be forced to use them because you want to use your step from your steal.

It would also solve that other issue and make our core mechanic much better.

Lady Minuit

(edited by Lady Minuit.3186)

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

There are many ideas for Last Refuge;

When your health reaches a certain threshold (25%)…

1. - … you gain regen (x sec) and all damage is reduced by 90% for y seconds.
  2. - …you gain Swiftness and Resistance for x seconds.
  3. - …you gain regen (x sec) and drop Caltrops.
  4. - …you gain regen (x sec) and 75% to Evade attacks for y seconds.
  5. - …you gain Shadow Form for x seconds. You cannot attack. All damage are negated.
  6. - …etc.

No stealth, no bullkitten.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Thief

Tera GX.8149

Which one of you designers thought this garbage up? Not someone who plays thief, that’s for sure. Bottom line: NOT FUN.

I believe a part of how this issue got in is that the “Revealed” effect didn’t always exist. At least that’s how I remember it. Used to be only duration and attacking were concerns. But I don’t think the trait has been touched even once despite the penalty addition.

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

Which one of you designers thought this garbage up? Not someone who plays thief, that’s for sure. Bottom line: NOT FUN.

I believe a part of how this issue got in is that the “Revealed” effect didn’t always exist. At least that’s how I remember it. Used to be only duration and attacking were concerns. But I don’t think the trait has been touched even once despite the penalty addition.

Yeah. Except, pretty sure we’ve been crying about it ever since. O wells.

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

I don’t know. I really rarely die because of that trait, and it’s just SOOOO good with vamp runes. I’m invulnerable AND stealthed when I get bursted.

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Yup! Revealed didn’t exist at all in beta and early launch when Last Refuge already did. Whether you like this trait or not it doesn’t change the fact that it is literally broken. Revealed does not work with it’s original design and they constantly clash and self destruct. People have been begging for it to be fixed since then and they literally flat out ignore it. I was disappointed that they totally ignored addressing it in stream during the uproar in chat. They said nothing- at all: massive troll moment.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Thief

Posted by: Serious Thought.5394

Serious Thought.5394

I was thinking of a small buff to Last Refuge that would be added on at the end:

For one second (or two, in case one proves to change nothing) using skills will not break stealth.

Thoughts?

Worst Thief in the world, yes I am.

in Thief

Posted by: pepper.6179

pepper.6179

There are many ideas for Last Refuge;

When your health reaches a certain threshold (25%)…

1. - … you gain regen (x sec) and all damage is reduced by 90% for y seconds.
  2. - …you gain Swiftness and Resistance for x seconds.
  3. - …you gain regen (x sec) and drop Caltrops.
  4. - …you gain regen (x sec) and 75% to Evade attacks for y seconds.
  5. - …you gain Shadow Form for x seconds. You cannot attack. All damage are negated.
  6. - …etc.

No stealth, no bullkitten.

yes on shadow form and make it a 90 sec cd

[SA]

in Thief

Posted by: Turk.5460

Turk.5460

We could just make the whole thief forum page1 be about last refuge. Worked with turret engineers and the pvp forum!

-Fort Aspenwood- [UNIV] [TLC] [ShW]
-Sorrow’s Furnace-