Runes for thief

Runes for thief

in Thief

Posted by: Brumen.9720

Brumen.9720

Hello dear thieves,

I apologize if there’s already a topic like this in the section.
I’m currently running berserker set of armor. I like to play with S/d and/or S/p , sometimes shortbow in rvr.
I use to change frequently traits between more stealth dependin one (ex: 10/30/30)
and something like this: 20/30/0/20/0.
For now i got all ruby orbs on my armor, i was wonderin if there are some sets of superior runes besides Divinity and Scholar that i could try and find useful, even loosin some Crit damage and chance.
I like to do a good amount of damage, but i’m not goin to be a pure glasscannon (i’m not so good at playin to run around Gc and survive ).

Thanx in advance for useful info and apologies for grammar errors( i’m not Eng.)

Brumen

Charr need no gods !

Runes for thief

in Thief

Posted by: Humorless.1573

Humorless.1573

Scholar runes are useless for anything but burst specs. You’re rarely above 90% health as a thief. People just use them cause they copy others and don’t know better.

Divinity is alright but not great since they add useless stats as well. If you want survivability you’d be better off switching a few pieces around from zerker to valkyrie or knight’s and keeping the ruby orbs. And there’s a few other options to get some of both worlds, IE wurm runes.

Runes for thief

in Thief

Posted by: Xirin.8593

Xirin.8593

^ great advice and a correct assessment of Divinity/Scholar.

Also, if you switch to Knights or Valkyrie armor (I assume you are using Berserker trinkets), consider possibly switching out the Ruby Orbs for Beryl Orbs (Valkyrie stat orbs). They have the same Power and CritDmg as Ruby Orbs; you just trade Precision for Vitality.

[AoN] All or Nothing

Runes for thief

in Thief

Posted by: Agonoize.4021

Agonoize.4021

Divinity/Scholar/Lyssa/Beryl Orb/Ruby Orb/Pack

All depends on what you want from your thief and if you do WvW what your guild wants.

I play a thief as main in a guild that focuses on WvW mostly.

Stats : 19,5k Life,2800 Armor,3250 attack,55% chance,88 CD

A full Zerker thief cant provide that much and will not last in a sustained fight.
And being a free rally for the enemy is never a good thing.

Piken Square | Necrosis Officer | Psycode [Thief]

(edited by Agonoize.4021)

Runes for thief

in Thief

Posted by: Shadowskill.9852

Shadowskill.9852

For s/d I use either ruby orbs or runes of the eagle. The extra critical chance and damage that eagle runes add are really nice. It comes down to how much you want to spend. Ruby orb are a great addition for what you pay. Good Luck

For context I run a 0/30/20/20/0 with s/d-sb

(edited by Shadowskill.9852)

Runes for thief

in Thief

Xirin.8593

For context I run a 0/30/20/20/0 with s/d-sb

This is exactly what I’m running currently, both Trait distribution and weapon choice (Valk armor/orbs, Berz trinkets/weapons). I love this build.

[AoN] All or Nothing

Runes for thief

in Thief

Posted by: SoLeciTO.3490

SoLeciTO.3490

@Agonoize can you please share how to get those numbers?

You have a lot of armor and attack . . . Thanks

Runes for thief

in Thief

Posted by: Brumen.9720

Brumen.9720

Thanx for all your replies fellows.

I use to go RvR with my thief mostly now; complete dailies and sometimes a run of CoF.

As for trinkets by now i have soldier back from Orr (karma), all others Valkyrie and one Berserker ring cause i am jeweler and i had materials for Valkyirie ones in inventory

I’ll check Pack and Wurm runes that some of you suggested, and il try out another armor set, maybe Valkyrie with ruby orbs:
I use to be always low on money so for now i won’t go for Divinity or similar.

Thank you again,
Brumen

Charr need no gods !

Runes for thief

in Thief

Posted by: Suralin.3947

Suralin.3947

All depends on what you want from your thief and if you do WvW what your guild wants.

A full Zerker thief cant provide that much and will not last in a sustained fight.

What’s your build? I suspect at least 30 in SA.

DragonBrand – Terror Gaming [TG]
Fer Aline – Thf; Suralinta – Rgr; Alyra Va Tel – Ele; Mer Aline – War

Runes for thief

in Thief

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

What’s your build? I suspect at least 30 in SA.

I too would like to know this as it doesn’t seem feasible. When I do the math I can’t break 15k hp or 2600 armor to maintain the 50% crit and 100% cd.

Runes for thief

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

how is this possible/ im wracking my brain. plz do explain :P

Runes for thief

in Thief

Posted by: Meridian.8730

Meridian.8730

I call bs on those stats, there is no combination of equipment that gives all of those things at once. Thief can only manage 19k life with lots of vit boosting e.g. valks, which makes 55% cc impossible. 2800 armor isn’t possible with valks either, and 19.5k life isn’t possible with knight’s. 3250 attack as a thief requires extremely power-focused equipment and trait build, and probably the 180 signet passive. 55% cc is extremely hard without some rampagers.

Any thief with those stats would be so OP that it would be basically unstoppable if the player isn’t totally kitten

Runes for thief

in Thief

Posted by: Laeir.5197

Laeir.5197

how is this possible/ im wracking my brain. plz do explain :P

This is only possible by adding in buffs.

Equip Soldier’s weapons, Soldier’s armor + Beryl Orbs, a mix of Cavalier’s/BerzValk jewerly with a Soldier’s amulet (all Accended), and a Cavalier’s back piece.

This will leave your crit chance and crit damage lowish, so use Maintenance Oil and the Precision + 10% crit damage food, and then add in +250 Precision from a +10 Prec/kill Sigil. Maybe add in the Power and Precision Signets.

That gets pretty close.

(edited by Laeir.5197)

Runes for thief

in Thief

Posted by: BojacDR.2104

BojacDR.2104

No freakin’ way these stats are for real but please prove me wrong.

Runes for thief

in Thief

Posted by: Humorless.1573

Humorless.1573

Including food and bloodlust stacks in any build is idiotic.

Throwing that into buildcraft gets you 17k hp, 2k power, under 37% crit and under 2700 armor.

Runes for thief

in Thief

Agonoize.4021

I never said my power was 3k+, i said my Attack was.
My power is about 2200 buffed with stacks.
Oh and the site does not include the chance from your signet of agility.

But including Food/Stacks into your build is part of the game.
Its the full stats that you will have, If you don’t die every 5 seconds.

(edited by Agonoize.4021)

Runes for thief

in Thief

Posted by: Zikory.6871

Zikory.6871

Any one trying in min/max their build with take into account food and bloodlust. Its very common for people to build around the food buffs.

[KnT] – Knight Gaming – Blackgate
Zikory – Retired Thief
Zikkro – Zergling Necromancer

Runes for thief

in Thief

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Any one trying in min/max their build with take into account food and bloodlust. Its very common for people to build around the food buffs.

to be fair, they usually tell you base stats on their doll before 30mins of PvP and just tell you the food they’re using

Runes for thief

in Thief

Posted by: JakobGW.5730

JakobGW.5730

Throwing that into buildcraft gets you 17k hp, 2k power, under 37% crit and under 2700 armor.

I agree with the second part.

Also, in my opinion, you’re wasting those prescious ascended slot pieces on a build that may be able to last, but doesn’t effectively do what a thief is supposed to do: assassinate someone.

Though if it works for you, keep it up. Everyone plays the game differently.

Runes for thief

in Thief

Agonoize.4021

I agree with the second part.

Also, in my opinion, you’re wasting those prescious ascended slot pieces on a build that may be able to last, but doesn’t effectively do what a thief is supposed to do: assassinate someone.

As i understood the guy that made the post said he was interested in RvR and WvW,
If your running with a organized guild you dont go left and right ganking people.
You stick with your leader, Providing Blaster finishers, Your elite skill, Regen’s, Some Stealth AoE,And stay alive the whole time without having to run away and back to regain your health.

Runes for thief

in Thief

Posted by: JakobGW.5730

JakobGW.5730

As i understood the guy that made the post said he was interested in RvR and WvW,
If your running with a organized guild you dont go left and right ganking people.
You stick with your leader, Providing Blaster finishers, Your elite skill, Regen’s, Some Stealth AoE,And stay alive the whole time without having to run away and back to regain your health.

This is why I said:

For example, I run with an organized group of 3 – 7. We are always fighting outnumbered. Our job is to pick apart zergs (within reason) and essentially just cause havoc. If I’m running with a group of 3 and using your build, we’d be dead because blast finishers and “staying alive” just doesn’t cut it without actually killing someone.

However, when we engage a group and I’m able to down someone in 2 seconds or less, the minor hysteria that follows by the enemy group trying to rez or evaluate our strength after a quick kill usually tips the scales more in our favor.

I suppose if you’re always running with an organized guild of more than say 10, then sure, you’re build may be useful. But I certainly wouldn’t recommend your build to roamers in smaller groups.

Runes for thief

in Thief

Agonoize.4021

I was not talking about Roaming in small groups, And yes, I’m talking about 20+ people.

Runes for thief

in Thief

Posted by: Pentalic.5409

Pentalic.5409

If you like the S/* weapon sets, I suggest trying Mesmer Runes.

Blackgate – Asuran Thief – Pentalic The Silent
“A wise man once said something. No one paid attention.”

Runes for thief

in Thief

Posted by: Kincaidia.3192

Kincaidia.3192

As a thief in full valkerie and the 5% of precision into vitality, I’m right around 19.5k, so yeah, that’s about right.

Anywho, I almost bought mesmer runes yesterday – thinking of trying a stun-lock build based on sword main hand, but I’m just not quite feeling adventurous enough.

Does the +33% from the 6th mesmer rune stack with the +15% from the sigil?

It seems like it should make our 2 second stuns tick for 3 seconds most of the time.

Runes for thief

in Thief

Posted by: Pentalic.5409

Pentalic.5409

As a thief in full valkerie and the 5% of precision into vitality, I’m right around 19.5k, so yeah, that’s about right.

Anywho, I almost bought mesmer runes yesterday – thinking of trying a stun-lock build based on sword main hand, but I’m just not quite feeling adventurous enough.

It seems like it should make our 2 second stuns tick for 3 seconds most of the time.

It does, that’s really the only thing keeping me in Mesmer Runes… Ability to stunlock silver mobs in dungeons is kinda great

Blackgate – Asuran Thief – Pentalic The Silent
“A wise man once said something. No one paid attention.”

Runes for thief

in Thief

Posted by: Dristig.9678

Dristig.9678

I don’t get it one of those is for stun and one is for daze. Does the game consider Stun and Daze the same thing?

Runes for thief

in Thief

Xirin.8593

I don’t know if the Mesmer runes stack with Sigil of Paralyzation. I might go test this in sPvP later. However, I do know that Sigil of Para by itself rounds up Tactical Strike’s Daze from 2s to 3s. I’ve tested this myself and it’s very easy to verify. Cheap to test too since Sigil of Para is only 2-5 silver.

Edit: curiosity got the best of me and I tested both in sPvP. Neither Sigil of Para nor Mesmer Runes x6 increased Tactical Strike Daze on the Heavy Golems.

I immediately went straight to WvW to make sure I wasn’t crazy about Sigil of Para increasing Daze time and easily verified that it does increase Daze to 3s. I’m not familiar with sPvP at all, so I don’t know if this was already known, but just thought I’d share.

I don’t have Mesmer runes in PvE/WvW, so I can’t test if they stack with Sigil.

[AoN] All or Nothing

(edited by Xirin.8593)

Runes for thief

in Thief

Posted by: Login.5102

Login.5102

Runes of the ranger!!!!!

5% DMG all the time. No need for a companion !

Runes for thief

in Thief

Posted by: Heizero.9183

Heizero.9183

What do you guys think about using full zerker gear with all beryl orbs/ jewels?

Commander Unyielding Shadow – Human Thief
Champion Shadow
Better Luck Next Time [BLNT]-Sea of Sorrows

Runes for thief

in Thief

Posted by: Heizero.9183

Heizero.9183

also i run 10/30/30 so i have some heavy heal sustain as it is

Commander Unyielding Shadow – Human Thief
Champion Shadow
Better Luck Next Time [BLNT]-Sea of Sorrows

Runes for thief

in Thief

Posted by: darkdomino.9578

darkdomino.9578

My thief has about 19,700 health w/ mostly valkyrie, eagle sigils, etc.

My critical hit chance is hovering around 47-50% – but I want to try and improve that.

I’m thinking with an ascended amulet or better backpiece I can push things a little higher.

When it comes to playing a thief, I used to like going all-out damage and critical hits – but in so many instances it’s just not any fun to be dying all the time. Degen and one-shots will just drop you on your kitten so fast unless you’ve got some health to work with. For me, I’ll trade some dmg/crit for health so I can stay alive a little longer.

my general theory is – if I’m dead, I’m not dealing any damage anyway. So what’s the point of all this damage if I’m not alive long enough to dish it out?

Fury of the Departed [Fury] – http://www.furyofthedeparted.net