S/D Thief Too Strong? (Discussion)

in Thief

Posted by: Coloxeus.3480

Coloxeus.3480

and mesmers can stealth like a boss! especially condition torch mesmers! Decoy, Veil, Mass invisibility, the Prestige and Desperate Decoy does Stealth and leave a clone of yourself behind at 25% health (grants stealth for 3 seconds regardless the effect of revealed)
and if you’re playing a tanky build (Power,toughness,Vit) u shud be ya tanky! but less or more likely very few critical damage done. and what the heck! this phantasm build (Power,toughness,vit) mesmers can still do alot of critical dmg done from their Phantasms with unlimited fury trait http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Phantasm_Fury and take note this trait is only @ Adept Trait and ya you can do consecutive critical hits by just putting 10 points on precision trait GG

in Thief

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

and mesmers can stealth like a boss! especially condition torch mesmers! Decoy, Veil, Mass invisibility, the Prestige and Desperate Decoy does Stealth and leave a clone of yourself behind at 25% health (grants stealth for 3 seconds regardless the effect of revealed)
and if you’re playing a tanky build (Power,toughness,Vit) u shud be ya tanky! but less or more likely very few critical damage done. and what the heck! this phantasm build (Power,toughness,vit) mesmers can still do alot of critical dmg done from their Phantasms with unlimited fury trait http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Phantasm_Fury and take note this trait is only @ Adept Trait and ya you can do consecutive critical hits by just putting 10 points on precision trait GG

Yet After All,

they are still not a Threat!
———————————————————————————

Are you telling me that mesmer and thief are the same?

If so

Than Gasoline and Water are indeed the same

Afterall
—————————————————
I leave room beneath the line for you to Reconsider

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

(edited by Burnfall.9573)

in Thief

Posted by: Coloxeus.3480

Coloxeus.3480

i dont have to upload such a video just check the pax finale where lady nag nag nag pwns everything

well lady nag nag is a real threat hes really pro @ using his thief and just like how Helseth (mesmer) and Teldo (engineer) play they did a really great job in previous Gw2 invitational tournaments, PAX and Mist League tournaments! and imo Teldo(engie) is just Over rated!

in Thief

Posted by: Sensotix.4106

Sensotix.4106

are u telling me that it is hard to win vs mesmer with thief?^^

in Thief

Posted by: Mrbig.8019

Mrbig.8019

the 2 vs 1 from teldo at waterfall…i spoke to ben (lord nag nag nag) and he said both didnt want to waste their cooldowns since they thought it would be an easy matchup

well i thought i had to bring it up because i saw a s/d thief winning a 1 vs 1 vs warri..vs spirit ranger…vs necro..vs the other thief without loosing even 50% of his hp

BUT

Resume: I was really happy to have this discussion here and I am glad that I did post this thread here and not in the structured pvp section because there I wouldnt have gotten many impressions from thieves.
I am happy that most of you tried to stay obejctive and tell me exactly how they feel about it and actually came up with some interesting ideas that I really appreciate

And I also have to admit that I have tried to be a little bit provocative so I can see who of you guys really stays objective and calm because I was searching for an experienced thief to interview about changes he wants to see in the game/his class

Thanks for everything guys it was a pleasure to discuss with u!

Thief interview will hopefully follow soon

just wanted to ump in and remember you a thing.

And mind, it was pre inf strike nerf.

S/D thief will NEVER win against a good necro.

Yesterday i had a fight with Sizer in a 1vs1 server and won as a POWER NEC on a tPvP build ( not even a 1vs1 build).

Ask him, he will confirm ( Capanelle here).

S/D is cheese and i would say super forgiving as a set, but it’s not really THAT impactful and can lose against a good tons of builds ( S/P thief, S/F ele, any necro, well played hambow, engies) OR take too much time in killing it.

Fightning a war is almost always too time consuming, for example.

The strenght of an S/D thief is the capability to overextend while still being able to disangage at will, while facetanking even 3 enemies ( number doesn’t really matter).

Surely not it’s 1vs1 capabilities.

It’s the fact that its GOOD ( not almighty, as you want to make it seem) 1vs1 capabilities ARE ADDED to the best mobility and best disangage capabilities.

personally i left S/D and now play S/P, and i find it way superior in coordinated teams ( altough i do solo q only lol), tough more easily countered and tough needing a lot more skill to be played.

in Thief

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Can you please not necro a 4 month old thread, especially if there have been two balance patches since.

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: caveman.5840

caveman.5840

lol idk if it is just me …. but a D/D or D/P back stab build is still better . they have way more survivle specially D/P .
y r u beating a old horse lol .
wars r way better if built right lol .
had a war to day wipe out 2 skilled thieves . mesmer element guard war 3 rangers . all really skilled vs one war ! used no boons had mad def even when endure pain was not up & great attack ! have no idea what he was running.
but this is old news .

(edited by caveman.5840)

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

Yeah….this is what I was thinking too. It doesn’t matter that it’s a 4 month old thread with a few big nerfs in between because it’s still being complained about.

Edit: It’s probably weak because S/P is being called OP in the same thread… I guess they’re increasing build diversity by nerfing decent specs to (slightly) UP.

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

(edited by Maugetarr.6823)

in Thief

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

People complaining =/= out of balance.

in Thief

Posted by: Black Teagan.9215

Black Teagan.9215

I think its is slight OP and a problem.
S/D have access to evade, stealth and boonsteal.
I see the problem in this set in Skill #3.
Flanking Strike is ok, but Larcenous Strike seems me to unbalanced. The main problem with LS is, the boon steal make our profession mechanic redundant and Bountiful Theft useless. The boonsteal should be part of our profession mechanic and BT and not on a weapon.
Also, that LS doing a lot of dmg while its unblockable, make it to a dmg only weapon, without a particular task, like S/P or the SB.

I wish me for LS a change, so that it do extra dmg for every boon on the target, e.g. 10%, while the base dmg is slight reduce to compensate it. I think ~25%.
This would make S/D to a strong weapon against bunker and boonsspammer like Guardians and Engineers, without to prevent other classes from using the boons
(, which was the reason for the big nerf for S/D at the oktobre 2013)

Caleb Ferendir
-Charr Thief-
It’s good to be bad!

(edited by Black Teagan.9215)

in Thief

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

Few days ago, the thief guild i belong to brought the same issues as the Op and concluded how overall thief “balance” is a joke. So in conclusion they all voted to lesson their time with guild wars 2 for other mmo’s company who know how to Balance their professions/classes/jobs etc… and most importantly, Values all their professions etc…

Since many of us including myself had already lesson our time playing this “Balance” game, we can say how glad we are to the members who took their final step; i’m near my end as well.

Favoritism and Oppression is what Guild Wars 2 is all about.

The Only classes who Intentionally remain Un-Resolved since the 1st day are; Thief, and Ranger.

Obviously by now Everyone know by now, who the Favorite and Un-Favorite class are.

Well,

The only solution to all of this Theatrics and Injustice, is to completely remove and replace those who’s responsible of Intentionally plaguing this game within Arena.net.

Last week alone, 39 players + 1 large guild in a popular server had completely quit the game.

Time will tell when Arena.net will be Serious about ending Favoritism and Injustice.
Many and many will not bear witness when that happen. In other word, when the game is in it’s final life cycle, that’s when Arena.net will finally care (at least that’s the way i see things are going).

Look at the next “Balance” patch; not one thing serious thing about it; same, same issues, problems, theatrics, favoritism, and unbalance remains.

Seriously, not 1 care or solution to their concerned community players..whatsoever.

Until than.

Wake me up when this Nightmare End

Wake me up when Actions are taken

i almost forgot,

words, words, talks, talks, talking will not work on me.

Only Actions

well.. time up!

I’m off to playing Mmo’s whose companies Value, Care, Listen and Practice Justice, Practice Equal Treatment to their game, professions and their communities of players.

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

(edited by Burnfall.9573)

in Thief

Posted by: Karolis.4261

Karolis.4261

Few days ago, the thief guild i belong to brought the same issues as the Op and concluded how overall thief “balance” is a joke. So in conclusion they all voted to lesson their time with guild wars 2 for other mmo’s company who know how to Balance their professions/classes/jobs etc… and most importantly, Values all their professions etc…

Since many of us including myself had already lesson our time playing this “Balance” game, we can say how glad we are to the members who took their final step; i’m near my end as well.

The Only classes who Intentionally remain Un-Resolved since the 1st day are; Thief, and Ranger.

Obviously by now Everyone know by now, who the Favorite and Un-Favorite class are.

Well,

The only solution to all of this Theatrics and Injustice, is to completely remove and replace those who’s responsible of Intentionally plaguing this game within Arena.net.

Last week alone, 39 players + 1 large guild in a popular server had completely quit the game.

Time will tell when Arena.net will be Serious about ending Favoritism and Injustice.

Many and many will not bear witness when that happen. In other word, when the game is in it’s final life cycle, that’s when Arena.net will finally care (at least that’s the way i see things are going).

Look at the next “Balance” patch; not one thing serious thing about it; same, same issues, problems, theatrics, favoritism, and unbalance remains.

Seriously, not 1 care or solution to their concerned community players..whatsoever.

Until than.

i almost forgot,

Only Actions

well.. time up!

I’m off to playing Mmo’s whose companies Value, Care, Listen and Practice Justice, Practice Equal Treatment to their game, professions and their communities of players.

Burnfall belongs to a thief guild? But he is bearbow and bad even by bearbow standarts o,O

PvP hero Valentin in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiYUlhsO_M
cough*keyboardturningclicker*cough

in Thief

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

Well,

Until than.

i almost forgot,

Only Actions

well.. time up!

Burnfall belongs to a thief guild? But he is bearbow and bad even by bearbow standarts o,O

Strangely enough this was the first Burnfall post I could actually read; up until the end, that is.

in Thief

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

1. Outdated video (sure it’s been mentioned). IR no longer breaks stun and it also has a cast time so you can’t displace yourself and avoid burst anymore with it. Not a big deal though, but just pointing out the irrelevance of the video.

2. #3 on s/d steals 1 boon, has an easy to spot rotation. They dodge to the right, and pull their arm back to stab you. Granted this rotation is “spammable” (until you run out of initiative or get locked down) it’s not breaking the profession they’re up against. Most classes I go after with LS are those who have tasty boons, but those people also have easy boon application. Does it help that we now share that boon? Yes, but some builds rely on those boons and I’m not doing a good job of taking them off (i.e bomb engi with constant vigor). I’ve experienced this over and over against guard engi ele and Mesmer, I can’t put enough pressure just by dodging and stealing 1 boon.

3. To make s/d do good damage while still properly evading attacks you need to heavily invest. The aa chain takes a little over a second to cycle, more than enough time for an enemy to hit you with cc, so you can’t just sit there and aa for 2-3k freely in an group fight. Spamming #3 gets expensive real quick.

4. Mesmer’s can port all over the place like thief, and stealth, and deal damage in stealth (from illusions). I’m pretty sure most thieves wish they had the capabilities of a Mesmer over silly perma stealth.

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

in Thief

Posted by: Ario.8964

Ario.8964

Gotta agree with ninja, s/d is really just a matter of skill, its one of those builds where its really good or really bad. Imo I think the only thing right now involving a build using a sword is pw. Now don’t get me wrong, I main thief and I do get facerolled sometimes by pw spam but right now that’s really the only thing I see as “broken” with the thief. yes I understand its frustrating to get killed lots by a thief who steals your boons and shadowsteps around but that’s really the only reliable defense they have when you take a look at it. So it would be nice if people wouldn’t attack the thief but everyone sees things differently so that’s not gonna happen but if people are gonna attack something attack spamming builds like hs and pw not s/d builds cause they really cant spam anything without losing all their initiative and doing no damage to their target. not sure how much sense that makes but oh well.

[Teef] Dragonbrand Thief and Engi main www.twitch.tv/ariodoesgaming and Ario Does Gaming on Youtube!

in Thief

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

I am not sure if your video is serious or sarcastic? The example you show is rather, well, lets say I think you’re trying to make an issue where there isn’t one.

Shadowstepping needs some fixing to improve it actually, and more importantly, to do what it does more reliable. Numerous times it has has failed to transport me across small bumps in the terrain, or dropped me below the surface. Shadowstep should bring you were you can run. From wiki: “Unlike teleporting, shadowstepping allows the player to move vertically as long the position can be reached normally by moving on the ground without jumping. Trying to shadowstep up or through obstacles or across gaps will cause you to shadowstep to the edge in general”

in Thief

Posted by: Kadin.2356

Kadin.2356

the 2 vs 1 from teldo at waterfall…i spoke to ben (lord nag nag nag) and he said both didnt want to waste their cooldowns since they thought it would be an easy matchup

well i thought i had to bring it up because i saw a s/d thief winning a 1 vs 1 vs warri..vs spirit ranger…vs necro..vs the other thief without loosing even 50% of his hp

BUT

Resume: I was really happy to have this discussion here and I am glad that I did post this thread here and not in the structured pvp section because there I wouldnt have gotten many impressions from thieves.
I am happy that most of you tried to stay obejctive and tell me exactly how they feel about it and actually came up with some interesting ideas that I really appreciate

And I also have to admit that I have tried to be a little bit provocative so I can see who of you guys really stays objective and calm because I was searching for an experienced thief to interview about changes he wants to see in the game/his class

Yesterday i had a fight with Sizer in a 1vs1 server and won as a POWER NEC on a tPvP build ( not even a 1vs1 build).

S/D is cheese and i would say super forgiving as a set, but it’s not really THAT impactful and can lose against a good tons of builds ( S/P thief, S/F ele, any necro, well played hambow, engies) OR take too much time in killing it.

The strenght of an S/D thief is the capability to overextend while still being able to disangage at will, while facetanking even 3 enemies ( number doesn’t really matter).

It’s the fact that its GOOD ( not almighty, as you want to make it seem) 1vs1 capabilities ARE ADDED to the best mobility and best disangage capabilities.

personally i left S/D and now play S/P, and i find it way superior in coordinated teams ( altough i do solo q only lol), tough more easily countered and tough needing a lot more skill to be played.

Why are you necroing a thread from 4 months and 2+ patches ago? None of these arguments are even valid anymore.

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

BUT

Why are you necroing a thread from 4 months and 2+ patches ago? None of these arguments are even valid anymore.

Because, as zero day linked, people still think it’s an untouchable set: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/balance/Pvp-Thief-S-D-thief-is-still-too-strong/page/2#post3577875

This thread is from this past week.

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Hype.8032

Hype.8032

I get a kick out of seeing Mr. Big do a cheesy 180 deg change of opinion. Before Dec 10th he played S/D and thought it was fair and was very against any nerf. After the 10th he went to s/p (which is the new easy mode thief build) and he now calls s/d evade spam cheese.

The truth is, S/D is still viable but you have to actually be good to play it. I don’t think S/P is OP but it has the skill floor of a fricken hambow warrior…. People are delusional if they think it is a skillful set. D/P is still a skillful set and I’m here claiming that S/D has finally become one as well. From the start, S/P has been a weapon set without a purpose, sword and pistol don’t have synergy like our other sets.

Tualek & F I Monk / Thief —-- Tk E / Engineer
Highest Solo Queue Rank Achieved: 40
Highest solo-join Team Queue Rank Achieved: 198

in Thief

Posted by: Imagi.4561

Imagi.4561

Are you joking?

S/P has a blind field, a daze, and Pistol Whip: a stun that comes with an almost 1.5 second evade that comes with cleaving burst damage. Not to mention the fact that S/P can run the Trickery meta build without having to sacrifice one of its core trait lines.

S/D has stealth access, Dancing Dagger (lol), and you can spend 5 initiative to evade for half a second and steal one boon.

#ELEtism
By Ogden’s hammer, what savings!