So I Tried an Evade Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Simplicity.7208

Simplicity.7208

Hated it. Hated everything about it. Teach me how to make it work because compared to my routine 3v1s on the D/P in sPvP the S/D set just seems inadequate. I can really only troll the hell out of warriors and guardians, everything else just slaughters me brutally between evades.

How does an evade thief disengage? Other classes will just chase you to the end of the earth and I know from experience the only way a thief escapes my warrior is with stealth or death. How do you deal with two opponents? Three? Four? How about conditions? I miss my on-demand condition cleanse with stealth.

I want to make it work, but it is having some serious disagreements with my current play style.

EDIT: Entirely possible my build was wrong. I used berserker amulet + 10/0/0/30/30, S/D and S/P.

in Thief

Posted by: Incurafy.6329

Incurafy.6329

Try Jumper’s build for the most evasive Thief build. Double S/D, 10/30/0/30/0, Quick Pockets and Energy sigils.

thiefhitfor2kbetternerf
all is vain

in Thief

Posted by: Kenmei.7138

Kenmei.7138

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQNAsaVlYmSOHdS4E/5ExmCfKUvHkdsmtTBXtKA-TsAA1CoIKSVkrITRyisFNsY9xEBA

I was running with this build for maximizing my evasions and it works pretty well. While you know how other classess works you’ll have no problems to timing your evades. Also you got blinds and teleports + PW evade frames.

in Thief

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

I love how the build can stall until your withdraw is back up too: evade, evade, evade, swap weapons, evade, evade, evade, sig of agility if needed with more evades, withdraw ;D

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

in Thief

Posted by: Simplicity.7208

Simplicity.7208

Ah, nevermind. I just realized the devs are going to start toning down evasion thieves whilst simultaneously introducing hard counters to stealth. I’m just going to go play a warrior until this whole thing blows over and not bother with the next 3 months of nerf bat syndrome.

in Thief

Posted by: Incurafy.6329

Incurafy.6329

Ah, nevermind. I just realized the devs are going to start toning down evasion thieves whilst simultaneously introducing hard counters to stealth. I’m just going to go play a warrior until this whole thing blows over and not bother with the next 3 months of nerf bat syndrome.

It’s not that bad, they’re not “toning down evasion Thieves”, they’re toning down LS because two boons is too much for some classes (Guard, Ele) to handle, but will still be great when combined with BT.

Also, the “hard counters to stealth” is one utility on a Ranger that is rarely used. It’s not a good thing, but there’s no need for the doom and gloom, stick with it and try again.

thiefhitfor2kbetternerf
all is vain

in Thief

Posted by: Psybunny.8906

Psybunny.8906

in Thief

Posted by: Coloxeus.3480

Coloxeus.3480

try jumper’s build… and ya conditions is the main problem for s/d but u can deal with it by using shadow return remove 1 condition. or signet of agility. watch my gameplay, please do watch @ 720p

in Thief

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

RE: Simplicity
Between Withdraw + Roll for Init, a quick face-turn, and Shadowstep … you can disengage rather well. Let alone tossing a quick Steal at the end, towards a grey named mob in range. This presumes PvE or most areas in WvW.
Of course, I tend to go with P/P + SB or S/P, so my mileage might differ.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Thief

Posted by: Azraelle.1683

Azraelle.1683

s/d only works 1v1 or group vs group. In situations like 1vs2 its absolutely inferior to stealth builds.

Thief/Guardian. Desolation [EU]

in Thief

Posted by: evilapprentice.6379

evilapprentice.6379

Also, the “hard counters to stealth” is one utility on a Ranger that is rarely used. It’s not a good thing, but there’s no need for the doom and gloom, stick with it and try again.

It used to be there were no hard counters to stealth. There were plenty of soft counters, like, you know, knowing what you were doing, and those are fine.

Then It was just a trap in WvW.

Now it’s a WvW trap and 1 ranger skill.

In a few months It’ll probably be a handful of skills.

Countering an entire class mechanic, access to a thiefs “best” attacks, AND potentially 30 trait points entirely is just silly, especially considering stealth isn’t a problem in SPvP/TPvP. Anti-stealth abilities should just make the thief still visible while in stealth for a period of time, not cause revealed – thieves still have access to their traits/skills and follow all the rules of stealth (not capping points, revealed if they land an attack, etc), and everyone can still see them – viola, everyone is happy.

If you’re a thief and haven’t
pre-ordered HOT at this point,
save yourself the money and don’t bother.

(edited by evilapprentice.6379)

in Thief

Posted by: evilapprentice.6379

evilapprentice.6379

s/d only works 1v1 or group vs group. In situations like 1vs2 its absolutely inferior to stealth builds.

Jumpers double S/D only works in those situations – Arg’s S/D – Shbow works fine in 1v2’s.

If you’re a thief and haven’t
pre-ordered HOT at this point,
save yourself the money and don’t bother.

in Thief

Posted by: Black Teagan.9215

Black Teagan.9215

Seriously, stop copy my build ^^

My evade/control build for PvP/WvW

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQNAsaVlYmKPHdy9E/5Eh3DyOWzqpgm2sTBXlPA-T0Ag0CnIKSVkrITRyisFNsY9xhhJEvIA

Skill 7 is free to change

Caleb Ferendir
-Charr Thief-
It’s good to be bad!

in Thief

Coloxeus.3480

Try Jumper’s build for the most evasive Thief build. Double S/D, 10/30/0/30/0, Quick Pockets and Energy sigils.

most evasive build ever is double shortbow troll build haha… iv tried it once they can’t caught me not even once and i can only do slight dmg to single targets but good AOE cluster bomb dmg

in Thief

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

I didn’t like it at first either but it grew on me after a while. It takes a bit of getting-used to but it’s still our most viable sPvP build.

in Thief

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

We can agree that S/D is better than D/P thief for sPvP, but warrior and necro is still better.

Since you can switch char on the fly when it comes to sPvP, it seems to me it makes sense to play warrior and necro instead who are more OP, AND easier to play.

All is vain.

in Thief

Posted by: Demonts.4593

Demonts.4593

Every good build needs to be nerfed… Not just s/d thief. Basically every class has a build or builds that need nerfs.

in Thief

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

We can agree that S/D is better than D/P thief for sPvP, but warrior and necro is still better.

Since you can switch char on the fly when it comes to sPvP, it seems to me it makes sense to play warrior and necro instead who are more OP, AND easier to play.

Yeah but dat Champion Shadow title doe.

in Thief

Coloxeus.3480

Every good build needs to be nerfed… Not just s/d thief. Basically every class has a build or builds that need nerfs.

i guess anet developers are unware about the OPness of spike fear necros with:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dhuumfire
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Terror
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Master_of_Terror
they can drop from 8k ish hp to 0 AOE in just couple of secounds if you don’t have breakstun or multiple remove conditions your dead! + condi damage/fear dmg ignores armor what the heck!

(edited by Coloxeus.3480)

in Thief

Posted by: Ivonbeton.6814

Ivonbeton.6814

It’s not that bad, they’re not “toning down evasion Thieves”, they’re toning down LS because two boons is too much for some classes (Guard, Ele) to handle, but will still be great when combined with BT.

There has been reason for doom and gloom for awhile now though. This recent Tequatl event just proves the unstable position of thieves. Any other class brings more utility, survivability and in this case even damage to that fight.

I was useful because I was a thief on the defense, anywhere else and I would have been fairly useless.

in Thief

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Dual Pistols + Ricochet pack quite the punch during Tequatl.

Far more than any other class I know of aside from Eles Ice Bow.