Staff does NOT suck.

Staff does NOT suck.

in Thief

Posted by: Rain.9213

Rain.9213

Reason I didn’t post this in Daredevil Feedback thread is because I feel it will get drowned out in all the negativity of people who don’t know how to use it.

First off, Staff+Bound is easily the must have combination for it to be any good as it deals damage and acts most like the old dodge that keeps you alive but doesnt reveal you in stealth if you know where to dodge or moves you to far way from the enemy which is something you DONT want on staff.

Second, I have beaten Interrupt Chronomancers, Shout Heal Warriors, D/P Thieves, Glass Rifle Warriors, and I’ve completely nuked enemies in team fights using Staff+SB

And if you all don’t believe me, I will be uploading a 1v1 video after the BWE and maybe some regular pvp matches as well. It IS good and viable though.

The only 2 problems I have with it are:

1. Staff animation aftercasts can be murder sometimes

2. Auto Attack is really weak BUT I feel like it’s just a filler skill and I don’t use it too much to be honest. I would like to see a slight buff to it or maybe have each skill in the chain apply vulnerability to make it worth using but aside from that, I rarely touch it unless I’m low on initiative, which may be the playstyle Karl intended for it. But I still think it needs a slight buff.

Anyway, don’t trash Staff. I wanted to make this post to get word out that it’s a matter of L2P staff and not that it is bad.

As long as there are no nerfs to Staff skills or Bound+Steal combo, I think Staff can rival old school S/D and even D/P in certain scenarios.

Staff does NOT suck.

in Thief

Posted by: kaikalii.4198

kaikalii.4198

I was about to make a post like this, but then I saw this one. I totally agree. staff #5 + bound is where a lot of your damage comes from, and when you use them together, it really gives you that evasive play style feeling that I think most people expected form the daredevil.

Also, to the people saying that skill #4 is useless, it’s no more useless than pistol #2 or dagger #4. The main skill of the staff is #5 imo. Everything else #2-4 is mostly utility.

Kaliiii (Thief) – SoS

Staff does NOT suck.

in Thief

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

Also, to the people saying that skill #4 is useless, it’s no more useless than pistol #2 or dagger #4. The main skill of the staff is #5 imo. Everything else #2-4 is mostly utility.

In general: “Oh, there’s a merged Daredevil Thread, I’m gonna make my own”

To your post: Pistol 2 isn’t useless – 5% more damage and daze = perfect to use before you use unload.
On the contrahery Dagger 4 is pretty useless, yes, because it’s wonky to apply and because there’s no more movement restrictions on leaps. So the initial purpose of slowing down a fleeing enemy is obsolete.

If you just see this from a PvE point of view, then yes, you don’t really need either skill, although 5% more damage still is something.

Staff does NOT suck.

in Thief

Posted by: Terrorsquad.4802

Terrorsquad.4802

Staff is bad vs players who know how to play. You won vs d/p thieves as staff thief? That means they weren’t good because D/P hardcounters staff, with shadow shot alone.

Cheers

Denied NA Account | 8.4k hours | 5.6k Games | Bored

Staff does NOT suck.

in Thief

Posted by: Petoox.6570

Petoox.6570

In general: “Oh, there’s a merged Daredevil Thread, I’m gonna make my own”

To your post: Pistol 2 isn’t useless – 5% more damage and daze = perfect to use before you use unload.
On the contrahery Dagger 4 is pretty useless, yes, because it’s wonky to apply and because there’s no more movement restrictions on leaps. So the initial purpose of slowing down a fleeing enemy is obsolete.

If you just see this from a PvE point of view, then yes, you don’t really need either skill, although 5% more damage still is something.

wait, since when did pistol 2 have daze? Wasn’t it just short immobilize.

Staff does NOT suck.

in Thief

Posted by: knyy.6427

knyy.6427

Staff is bad vs players who know how to play. You won vs d/p thieves as staff thief? That means they weren’t good because D/P hardcounters staff, with shadow shot alone.

Cheers

Exactly. Your Vault didnt got blinded interrupted or evaded? You had really skilled opponents.

Staff does NOT suck.

in Thief

Jana.6831

wait, since when did pistol 2 have daze? Wasn’t it just short immobilize.

Yeah, it’s 1 s immobilize

Staff does NOT suck.

in Thief

Rain.9213

Cheers

Exactly. Your Vault didnt got blinded interrupted or evaded? You had really skilled opponents.

It’s called baiting and blind removal. You guys should really look into it.

Same reason a hammer warrior and necro can land hits on a D/P Thief :P

Staff does NOT suck.

in Thief

Posted by: Terrorsquad.4802

Terrorsquad.4802

Cheers

D/P > Staff. Link me your vid when you got it and let us judge about their skill

Cheers

Denied NA Account | 8.4k hours | 5.6k Games | Bored

Staff does NOT suck.

in Thief

Rain.9213

Cheers

D/P > Staff. Link me your vid when you got it and let us judge about their skill

Cheers

Keep in mind also that I said THIEVES. Plural. Haha but yeah I’d be glad to share the video.

Staff does NOT suck.

in Thief

Posted by: Amante.8109

Amante.8109

I think you are quite confused, friend. Pistol #2 applies a short Immobilize, not Daze (that’s Pistol #4). Also, THREE SECONDS of Vulnerability on an attack with long startup and non-existent damage is not what I would call “perfect” for PvP or anything else.

Dagger #4 has issues, but I’d take it over Pistol #2 any day of the week. At least it’s usable.

(edited by Amante.8109)

Staff does NOT suck.

in Thief

Jana.6831

I think you are quite confused, friend. Pistol #2 applies a short Immobilize, not Daze (that’s Pistol #4). Also, THREE SECONDS of Vulnerability on an attack with long startup and non-existent damage is not what I would call “perfect” for PvP or anything else.

Dagger #4 has issues, but I’d take it over Pistol #2 any day of the week. At least it’s usable.

I already corrected it, my friend.
It is a lot – but whine some more, there’s a chance P/P will get the same buff ranger’s LB got. And yeah, go D/D – always a good thing – I don’t stomp enemy D/D thieves in wvw. Spam that #4!

ETA: I do stomp P/D and S/D though.

ETA²: I was a ranger main at first, the idea was to kitten people off. It took me a long time to understand why ranged weapons usually suck – and after seeing all the new thieves everywhere (PvE or WvW) with their magnificent SB #1 skill I’m innerly screaming “MY GOD, LEARN HOW TO TEEF!!” – I still laugh at P/P thieves though. And I think all ranged weapons should do significantly less damage than melee weapons – I hope it will get back to that.

(edited by Jana.6831)

Staff does NOT suck.

in Thief

Rain.9213

Cheers

Cheers

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/Daredevil-1v1-Duels-PvP-and-WvW-Videos

Don’t hate. Appreciate.

Staff does NOT suck.

in Thief

Posted by: Ihales.3820

Ihales.3820

Are those only the duels you won or were all opponents that bad? That thief blinded you twice in two duels. Second video is pretty much same. Those thieves never heard about 3rd and 4th skill on DP, only the last one accidentally pressed headshot once. Seems to me like all were WvW players relying on lucky backstabs to win, unfortunately in sPvP they don’t hit that hard so their strategy didn’t work.
No offence but I haven’t seen anything that would persuade me that staff is good in it’s current state.

Staff does NOT suck.

in Thief

Rain.9213

Are those only the duels you won or were all opponents that bad? That thief blinded you twice in two duels. Second video is pretty much same. Those thieves never heard about 3rd and 4th skill on DP, only the last one accidentally pressed headshot once. Seems to me like all were WvW players relying on lucky backstabs to win, unfortunately in sPvP they don’t hit that hard so their strategy didn’t work.
No offence but I haven’t seen anything that would persuade me that staff is good in it’s current state.

Oh don’t worry. Those thieves weren’t bad. They actually got me several times but nobody watches duel videos to watch you lose haha. The MAD thief in particular was good. You’re only seeing some of the fights I won in these videos. I tried to pick the more intense or cool ones.

[Teef] Member got me once or twice too, Engi beat me once, and my D/P buddy got me as well when he was actually able to land the headshots.

I know that everyone complains that these Thieves were not using blinds or headshots but the fact is that, I would dodge them and they would just end up wasting initiative so they would not be spamming them while fighting me.

Remember, you get 3 dodges plus recover one when you steal plus Staff 3 lets you evade attacks really easily so yes, it is possible to evade pretty much every blind and headshot a D/P thief tries to get off on you.

Furthermore, if a D/P thief manages to blind you, it’s not the end of the world. One evade removes it and if that 1s condi cleanse is on cooldown, then the fact that you land on your enemy with a Bound cleanses it and you’re set to keep damaging.

On paper, D/P should beat Staff but with the tools that Anet has given us on Daredevil, Staff actually functions really well in a fight against it. Also don’t think they were fighting some baddie that got on Thief for the beta either. I’d say I’m not too bad on Thief considering it’s my main and S/D evasive set has been my build for 2 and a half years :P So picking up Staff evasive set quite similar with just enough differences to cause me to make some mistakes while dueling as I’m sure you saw xD

Staff does NOT suck.

in Thief

Posted by: Saku Joe.2857

Saku Joe.2857

Staff thieves will get crush easily by any ranged weapon.. the only thing that may help you to deal dmg is the fact that “Bounding dodger” and staff 5 share almost the same animation, so you ennemy may lose CD trying to hit /rupt you during the Bound dodge, thinking you’ve used staff 5..

Congratz Anet cunts, u finally made me uninstall your S H I T.

Staff does NOT suck.

in Thief

Rain.9213

Staff thieves will get crush easily by any ranged weapon.. the only thing that may help you to deal dmg is the fact that “Bounding dodger” and staff 5 share almost the same animation, so you ennemy may lose CD trying to hit /rupt you during the Bound dodge, thinking you’ve used staff 5..

Thieves in general are crushed by ranged weapons if you’re not close enough so that’s nothing new.

Also if range is an issue, you can run Bandit’s Defense and block every single Rapid Fire shot from a Ranger or you can run Shadow Refuge/Hide in Shadows like I did to buy you time to get close.

I mean if you’re just looking at the Staff skills without the utilities, it’s not that great but you get CC utilities, CC in stealth, and snares which allow you to set up Vault and you also can still have access to stealth, shadowstepping, traps, and now access to a block which all synergizes really well with what Staff is designed to do.

Staff does NOT suck.

in Thief

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Wow you are so funny! Keep the jokes coming!

Staff does NOT suck.

in Thief

Posted by: Xovian.8572

Xovian.8572

Also if range is an issue, you can run Bandit’s Defense and block every single Rapid Fire shot from a Ranger…..

1 sec block vs 2 and half skill…blocking all…. really?
Can i hakzor too?

The block duration is laughable.

Staff does NOT suck.

in Thief

Rain.9213

Also if range is an issue, you can run Bandit’s Defense and block every single Rapid Fire shot from a Ranger…..

1 sec block vs 2 and half skill…blocking all…. really?
Can i hakzor too?

The block duration is laughable.

Okay maybe not all of them but the point is, you won’t get nuked by a Rapid Fire, especially with 8-10 cd on Bandit’s Defense. You will be mitigating a ton of damage and use that to either run towards the Ranger, port and start wasting them or stealth up and recover. Trust me, I fought several LB rangers on my Daredevil and ended them rightly. Range is not that big an issue with what we got on DD.