Staff is an odd weapon...

in Thief

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

I’m working on staff after looking at some video because I feel I have overlooked the weapon for a very long time.

I knew some people use the staff AA part #3 as a timed projectile reflect so I made some tests.

- You have a bit more than 2 dodges of times between AA part.
- During that time you can dodge without resetting the AA chain.
- Any skill that land reset the AA chain.
- For some reason Debilitating arc don’t reset the AA chain. It means you can make a combo like that. AA part #1 -> AA part #2 -> debilitating arc -> AA part #3.
- Even more strange, the jumped version of Debilitating arc reset the AA chain. I suppose it’s because there is no more dodge animation associated with the skill even if the evade frame is here.
- Any AA part that doesn’t touch a target can be executed twice before the AA chain reset.

- You can queue up to one skill during vault

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

in Thief

Posted by: All Matters Fecal.9560

All Matters Fecal.9560

My god that’s a lot of micro-management of the auto-chain…do people actually do this? Is it even worth it to keep it queued up for the half-second of reflect or whatever it is?

in Thief

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

If you want to solo Giganticus Lupicus as a Daredevil, then proper timing and management of the reflect portion is very helpful!

in Thief

Posted by: ich.7086

ich.7086

My god that’s a lot of micro-management of the auto-chain…do people actually do this? Is it even worth it to keep it queued up for the half-second of reflect or whatever it is?

I have made some LB rangers push themselves into their death with that. A more concret example (only the first fight).

So yeah having that in mind may be useful.

I Am An Intruder – War 80
Ich Bin Marc – Thief 80
All Your Dolyaks Are Belong To [Us] (Fort Ranik)

in Thief

Posted by: All Matters Fecal.9560

All Matters Fecal.9560

I have made some LB rangers push themselves into their death with that. A more concret example (only the first fight).

So yeah having that in mind may be useful.

Wow. That was pro. I gotta up my game. Thanks.

in Thief

Wargameur.6950

I’m glad you learned something. I’m far far away to know how to effectively use all this but it seems awesome. Time to master another weapon set !

(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

in Thief

Posted by: alchemyst.2165

alchemyst.2165

Micro-managing AA is honestly one of your best skills to have against ranged classes. It’s also good for learning how to stick and keep pressure on kiting foes; As you AA, you may need to dodge quickly in an emergency, but you can still continue raw sustained dps after dodging if you know how to manage it.

in Thief

Wargameur.6950

Micro-managing AA is honestly one of your best skills to have against ranged classes. It’s also good for learning how to stick and keep pressure on kiting foes; As you AA, you may need to dodge quickly in an emergency, but you can still continue raw sustained dps after dodging if you know how to manage it.

Yea, sometimes I forget how confortable shadowshot is as a gap closer…

(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

in Thief

Posted by: Toolbox.9375

Toolbox.9375

I used to use such micromanagement on Ranger’s Greatsword autoattack all the time for an extension to the evade frames. X) Figured Thief’s reflection could be used the same way, but have not made good use of it just yet. :P

The class is always greener on the other side.

in Thief

Wargameur.6950

I used to use such micromanagement on Ranger’s Greatsword autoattack all the time for an extension to the evade frames. X) Figured Thief’s reflection could be used the same way, but have not made good use of it just yet. :P

It’s hard right ? only thing I could think of was AA #part 1 → AA part #2 → dodge → AA part #3 ( without touching anything ) → AA part #3 on the enemy and repeat.

I don"t get the balance yet between this chain and skill #3. I don’t know if we could do something like :

AA #part 1 → AA part #2 → skill #3 (without jump) → AA part #3 ( without touching anything ) → dodge in → AA part #3 on the enemy and repeat

(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

in Thief

Posted by: ich.7086

ich.7086

Afaik if you reflect something with AA #3 AND if the reflected projectile it you will go back to AA #1 and Staff #3 doesn’t reset the AA chain only if it doesn’t hit.

The main point of creating distance between you and your target is to entice him to use ranged skills : a rifle warrior will rifle #5 or headbut you if you stay at melee but he is more likely to just gunflame or volley you if you stay “away”.

I Am An Intruder – War 80
Ich Bin Marc – Thief 80
All Your Dolyaks Are Belong To [Us] (Fort Ranik)

in Thief

Wargameur.6950

Afaik if you reflect something with AA #3 AND if the reflected projectile it you will go back to AA #1 and Staff #3 doesn’t reset the AA chain only if it doesn’t hit.

The main point of creating distance between you and your target is to entice him to use ranged skills : a rifle warrior will rifle #5 or headbut you if you stay at melee but he is more likely to just gunflame or volley you if you stay “away”.

You are wrong on skill #3 I just tested it on golems in HoTM. Only the jumped version of skill #3 reset the AA chain on hit.

(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]