Steal "Fixed" because of action Cam issues?

in Thief

Posted by: Luto.1938

Luto.1938

It was pointed out in another thread that Steal was likely modified due to action cam issues and thief. Who the heck uses action cam anyways? It does not work well for this type of game and the way the abilities are triggered. Please do not “fix” our already working abilities to work with your new action camera that you want us to use. Steal has no issues and has been working fine for 3 years. No one has complained about the way steal works or goes on cooldown. If steal is accidentally used without a target then its a L2play issue, and if your target goes stealth then you still get the benefit of Thrill of the Crime.

Thief has very little access to self buffs, and party buffs. Using Thrill of the Crime on demand provided at least a way to provide small temporary buffs (we wont compare ourselves to swiftness Revenants give to the party). I know there are numerous threads about this already, but it cannot be stressed enough and we need to keep this stuff on the front page so it gets noticed.

“Steal has some extra issues on top of this, regardless of action camera. It can be fired without a target, but goes on full cooldown if you do so.”
-Joel Helmich – Gameplay Programmer

Taken from – Action Cam + Thief = Issues

Luto Locke
Twitch Stream

in Thief

Posted by: BFMV.3198

BFMV.3198

I use action camera and it is kitten amazing. You are actually more responsive because you do not have to hold down a button to rotate, meaning it is one less thing to worry about.

Also the targeting is so good and it makes auto attacks even easier.

in Thief

Luto.1938

I use action camera and it is kitten amazing. You are actually more responsive because you do not have to hold down a button to rotate, meaning it is one less thing to worry about.

So my question to you is… did you have any issues with the way steal was working before?

Luto Locke
Twitch Stream

in Thief

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Worst part of this is realizing a couple people on the forums just screwed up a skill and inspired a nerf on a skill that the rest of us were happy with.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in Thief

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

hold down a button to rotate.

one less thing to worry about.

I just want to note that this requires very little, if any brainpower to manage.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

in Thief

Luto.1938

hold down a button to rotate.

one less thing to worry about.

I just want to note that this requires very little, if any brainpower to manage.

+1

Luto Locke
Twitch Stream

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

So my question to you is… did you have any issues with the way steal was working before?

I use the action cam as well. Occasionally I did have issues before with steal (even before the action cam). I have had no issues with steal since either doing fractals or playing PvP.

The action cam is also great for using skills like SB#5, vault, and shadowstep, just to expand on what BFMV was saying. Also the camera allows you to aim skills like withdraw, RFI, and Staff #3 while immobilized.

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

basically they decided to screw every single thief in pvp/wvw/pve because of few new players that were incapable of using steal properly and used new cam feature

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in Thief

Posted by: Graven X.6091

Graven X.6091

I use action cam all the time and never had issues with Steal misfiring, even when using ICM for months before HoT I never had problems with how Steal worked. Definitely hurting now.

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

basically they decided to screw every single thief in pvp/wvw/pve because of few new players that were incapable of using steal properly and used new cam feature

TIL I’m a new player incapable of using steal.

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Galandil.9641

Galandil.9641

TIL I’m a new player incapable of using steal.

Well, in effect not all incapable players are new ones.

in Thief

Posted by: Tabootrinket.2631

Tabootrinket.2631

Why did it turn into an “action cam VS non action cam player” thread ???
Why are people blaming players for lazy game design on the devs side ?

Let me get this straight :
Steal WAS a problem for those who use action camera. It NEEDED to be adressed.
They just DIDN’T fix it the RIGHT WAY.
In fact, they just managed to create a problem for BOTH types of players. It’s stupid to jump on each other’s throat on a matter that hinders both parties.

in Thief

Posted by: AlCojester.4316

AlCojester.4316

I’ve tried it, loved it at first but when my sword 2 kept “missing” and just animated in place because I wasn’t aiming at my target, kinda sucked for me. I feel like it restricts to the target you are facing whereas with click-holding, I’m able to have more awareness on the side and behind me. Please correct me if I’m wrong though, if any of the things I said can be managed through action cam because I do in fact want to use it since my right-click on my mouse is worn out.

in Thief

Posted by: Maris.3164

Maris.3164

So what exactly did they do to Steal? Or dare I ask…

in Thief

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

I’ve tried it, loved it at first but when my sword 2 kept “missing” and just animated in place because I wasn’t aiming at my target, kinda sucked for me. I feel like it restricts to the target you are facing whereas with click-holding, I’m able to have more awareness on the side and behind me. Please correct me if I’m wrong though, if any of the things I said can be managed through action cam because I do in fact want to use it since my right-click on my mouse is worn out.

I too had issues with sword 2 and steal missing occasionally, but I think that was due to my brain still trying to play the old non-action cam way. Now I have persisted and got used to it I hardly miss with either.

As to the added bonus of more visual awareness out of action cam mode, this is true. I think this could be remedied though, by changing the right click function in action cam mode to work like the left click in non-action cam mode, so you can hold right click to temporarily come out of action cam and look around. Then when you let go it reverts back to the reticle mode. That said, I do find the targeting via right click quite useful at times, so I would want some way to keep this functionality, though to be honest I rarely use left click to attack so it would be good if we could rebind the mouse buttons to have different action cam functions.

Anyway, this is going off topic somewhat. I think the change was intended to prevent steal firing and going on cooldown if your target is out of range, but the target requirement may have been an unforseen/unconsidered side effect or bug. I am glad they have removed the target requirement and found a way to prevent steal firing on out of range targets. Its a bad nerf changed to a good QoL buff.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

(edited by Rin.1046)